PDA

View Full Version : No winter break next season.

greenlex
22-01-2024, 02:39 PM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/key-dates-for-season-202425

it has always been a nonsense anyway. No Dubai jolly for the lads .

xbar81
22-01-2024, 02:46 PM

good news

Bridge hibs
22-01-2024, 03:02 PM
I couldn't a **** if hibs flew to Dubai or flew to the moon for winter training but Im glad there is no break as I really miss the weekly football

Smartie
22-01-2024, 03:21 PM
Good.

The idea of a winter break in Scotland, when you can have weather that costs you games any time from November through to about April, is a nonsense.

Pagan Hibernia
22-01-2024, 03:23 PM
Might mean a slightly less congested December schedule at least

wookie70
22-01-2024, 03:50 PM
Good news and hopefully reduces the ridiculous amounts of games in Decemeber

weecounty hibby
22-01-2024, 03:53 PM
Winter break in Scotland is pointless. Clog up December with loads of games and then have midweek games after we start up again. Two games a week pre and post break is stupid. Also check out the weather, you can't plan when the bad weather is in Scotland

Lancs Harp
22-01-2024, 04:51 PM
I quite like the way the EPL does its winter break. I know our top flight has far fewer teams but in the EPL half the teams play one weekend and are off the next, while the teams that were off the first weekend play the following week. Teams get a bit of a break and football fans in general still get a footy fix on our screens.

JimBHibees
22-01-2024, 04:53 PM
I quite like the way the EPL does its winter break. I know our top flight has far fewer teams but in the EPL half the teams play one weekend and are off the next, while the teams that were off the first weekend play the following week. Teams get a bit of a break and football fans in general still get a footy fix on our screens.

Yeah think that makes sense

VoltaireHibs
22-01-2024, 04:57 PM

That would require joined up, sensible thinking. The bowling club execs that run our game would quibble over who gets the last Wagon Wheel and then agree to launch yet another consultation.

22-01-2024, 05:02 PM

I see it's not because the SPFL have realised the break is a bad idea, it's because of increased no. of UEFA matchdays they otherwise wouldn't be able fit in the schedule.

Billy Whizz
22-01-2024, 05:07 PM
One of the problems with the winter break in Scotland, is you never know when bad weather will arrive

Also the Hibs players and their families couldn’t even get a weeks holiday. We played Motherwell on Tuesday 2nd Jan, and flew to Dubai on Tuesday 9th

VoltaireHibs
22-01-2024, 05:14 PM
One of the problems with the winter break in Scotland, is you never know when bad weather will arrive

Also the Hibs players and their families couldn’t even get a weeks holiday. We played Motherwell on Tuesday 2nd Jan, and flew to Dubai on Tuesday 9th

I've never really understood this. I thought the break was so the players could have a break, and then maybe a weeks intense training to get back up to speed. I know they get paid lots of money but their lifestyle does not appeal one bit. Always on the clock, always having your fitness measured, can't just go out for a few pints (sure some do mind). It's a very different lifestyle.

ruthven_raiders
22-01-2024, 05:15 PM

I am for last game just before Xmas and start back after new year, gives players a break with their families....

Jones28
22-01-2024, 05:24 PM
Tfft.

Musselbound
22-01-2024, 05:43 PM
I am for last game just before Xmas and start back after new year, gives players a break with their families....

Similar to what happens in Spain and a number of other European countries I think. I'm sure the players would appreciate that and even a week to ten days off with the family is better than nothing.

I used to be a fan of the winter break but am not really fussed one way or the other as I rarely go to games now in winter. I can understand the fans argument that there are too many games crammed in though. Especially in December.

hibstag
23-01-2024, 06:29 AM
But which of the old firm get the break first, they'll find a hidden perceived advantage in that kind of logical approach to the winter break

where'stheslope
23-01-2024, 09:11 AM
I always feel the winter break makes the Scottish Cup games harder, as you've had a break and the smaller teams played on.
Will be interesting to see if there is a difference next winter???

overdrive
23-01-2024, 09:20 AM

I doubt they would allow this. I think one of the reasons why December and early January is so stacked with games is that 'they' are trying to capitalise on folk that have maybe moved abroad or down south being back home over the festive period and wanting to take in a game.

I think Doidge was in New York between the last game and the Dubai trip. Must have been a fairly short trip and 4 long-ish flights within a short period of time. He must have been knackered between all that and the double/triple sessions in Dubai.

Their summer break is getting shorter too, particularly if they play for their country too. I do wonder why some clubs (rightly) shout at the FAs, UEFA and FIFA about the ever increasing number of games players are expected to play but then when they do have a break in fixtures organise training camps and friendlies or in the case of bigger clubs than us, start pre season early to organise money spinning tours abroad.

xbar81
23-01-2024, 10:16 AM
Better to just to call off some games rather than have set weeks of games off.

Roll on the summer