What we thinking?

International duty - Miller, Rocky, Wollacott and Boyle
Injured/not ready - Cadden, Campbell, JDH and ALF
Others - Harbottle, Delf and Boruc not training with the squad in Dubai

………………………Marshall…………….

Whittaker…..Fish…..Hanlon……Obita……

Youan……Levitt……Newell……Tavares….

……………….Vente……Doidge……

Not much room to change it imo unless he plays one of the young lads which for me is too risky. Megwa will come in for Whittikar if he is recalled imo.

McKirdy has been mentioned as coming off the bench as an impact player in the first instance.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2024, 02:00 PM
Probably have little choice but to go with that. It’ll be enough to beat Forfar but I really thought we’d have added one or two in time for us starting playing again.

Aldo
17-01-2024, 02:03 PM
What we thinking?

………………………Marshall…………….

……………….Vente……Doidge……

Not much room to change it imo unless he plays one of the young lads which for me is too risky. Megwa will come in for Whittikar if he is recalled imo.

McKirdy has been mentioned as coming off the bench as an impact player in the first instance.

I’d be tempted to play Rudi instead of Doidge!

Heisenberg
17-01-2024, 02:04 PM
What we thinking?

………………………Marshall…………….

……………….Vente……Doidge……

Sure I saw someone mention Megwa is cup tied so can’t play for us anyway.

SickBoy32
17-01-2024, 02:13 PM
Molotnikov would definitely be starting for me, with a view to playing more often as the season progresses

B.H.F.C
17-01-2024, 02:15 PM
Molotnikov would definitely be starting for me, with a view to playing more often as the season progresses

I would play him instead of Doidge but I don’t think we will.

When he came on against Motherwell he showed more enthusiasm than the rest of them within about 90 seconds.

andrew70
17-01-2024, 02:18 PM

100%

Marshall
Whittaker Fish Hanlon Obita
Youan Levitt Newell Jair
Molotnikov
Vente

Since452
17-01-2024, 02:20 PM
As usual, strongest team possible. It's the Scottish cup. Not the time to be giving youngsters a try for me. Doidge up front to cause them problems. It's Forfar's cup final and they'll be fired up. I'm a bit concerned about it but our higher quality should see us through.

andrew70
17-01-2024, 02:34 PM
As usual, strongest team possible. It's the Scottish cup. Not the time to be giving youngsters a try for me. Doidge up front to cause them problems. It's Forfar's cup final and they'll be fired up. I'm a bit concerned about it but our higher quality should see us through.

“Our higher quality” yet proceeds to play Doidge “to cause them problems.” Okay then tell me the last time he caused anyone problems?

Molotnikov suits the second striker role a lot better than Doidge or Vente for that matter. Get Vente between the posts and he’ll score goals. Rudi simply would supply him better than hitting it long for Doidge to miscontrol.

Rudi has also played majority of his football on 3G which will help come Sat.

Massive game though, let’s not deviate too much from our plan.

JasonC1875
17-01-2024, 02:58 PM
“Our higher quality” yet proceeds to play Doidge “to cause them problems.” Okay then tell me the last time he caused anyone problems?

Molotnikov suits the second striker role a lot better than Doidge or Vente for that matter. Get Vente between the posts and he’ll score goals. Rudi simply would supply him better than hitting it long for Doidge to miscontrol.

Last time he caused anyone problems?? Within seconds of coming on in the derby.

andrew70
17-01-2024, 03:01 PM
Last time he caused anyone problems?? Within seconds of coming on in the derby.

Haha seriously now? He’s nowhere consistent enough to do us a turn anymore.

The same folk, not you, complain about a lack of progress yet want to continue with the same failed players.

We can and must do better.

xbar81
17-01-2024, 03:13 PM
if we don't cruise through this fixture i'll be annoyed.

if we go a goal down and don't respond it's a pure embarrassment.

Nothing wrong with losing an early if it means the team kick up into overdrive and end up winning 1-4 going on 1-6, but we if **** it then i'll be calling for the managers head

WeeRussell
17-01-2024, 03:56 PM

Nothing wrong with losing an early if it means the team kick up into overdrive and end up winning 1-4 going on 1-6, but we if **** it then i'll be calling for the managers head

That’s a lot of ifs to be getting so worked-up about at this stage.

Just let them go and win well pal 👍

flash
17-01-2024, 04:01 PM

Almost as if you have signed up here to stir the pot.....

Brooster
17-01-2024, 04:11 PM
What we thinking?

………………………Marshall…………….

……………….Vente……Doidge……

Won't be too far off the mark as we don't have a lot of options at the moment. I'd possibly bring Rudi in for Tavares.

Megwa won't feature as he's Cup tied.

Zazu62
17-01-2024, 04:53 PM
What we thinking?

………………………Marshall…………….

……………….Vente……Doidge……

Why are Harbottle and Delf not training with the squad again? What’s the point in having them here 🤷🏼*♂️

B.H.F.C
17-01-2024, 04:55 PM
Why are Harbottle and Delf not training with the squad again? What’s the point in having them here 🤷🏼*♂️

Just the kind of thing that happens when managers change as frequently.

supermcginn
17-01-2024, 04:57 PM

Couldn't agree more, it's 2024 not 2019, Doidge is finished and would have been out the door ages ago if he didn't refuse numerous moves away.

David_D
17-01-2024, 06:51 PM
Any idea if Cadden is available yet? Would be handy to have someone else available if needed.

greenlex
17-01-2024, 07:33 PM
Any idea if Cadden is available yet? Would be handy to have someone else available if needed.

Not yet.

B.H.F.C
17-01-2024, 08:35 PM

Montgomery said 6-8 weeks.

Forza Fred
17-01-2024, 08:43 PM
Sure I saw someone mention Megwa is cup tied so can’t play for us anyway.

He is, played for Airdrie in earlier round.

Since452
18-01-2024, 07:41 AM

I'll be happy to get through by any means possible. Would take a 1-0. Tight artificial pitch against a team out for a giant kill. It's just about making sure we get through. The performance doesn't matter in the cup.

Gordy M
18-01-2024, 07:47 AM
Bookies odds on hibs has moved quite a bit. Hibs were 3/10 at start of the week and now 1/7......Forfar are 20/1.

Think we will win with quite a bit to spare.

superfurryhibby
18-01-2024, 09:25 AM

The same folk, not you, complain about a lack of progress yet want to continue with the same failed players.

You asked for an example of where Doidge increased our goal threat and got one. Yes, the same failed players, and he's not the only one, but that's what we have at the club.

You have to ask why Delf was given a three year extension, how did that even happen? Harbottle, been on the pitch twice at Hibs, managed 32 games in League 2 the previous season (and six goals). You have to wonder again how he was recruited. Aged 23, he should be having an impact.

Couldn't agree more, it's 2024 not 2019, Doidge is finished and would have been out the door ages ago if he didn't refuse numerous moves away.

Yet, he comes on most games, has featured 22 times and has 4 goals. I'm not a fan of Doidge, but he's here and he gives it full effort. I suspect he'll start on Saturday and hope he manages a goal.

andrew70
18-01-2024, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;7550689]You asked for an example of where Doidge increased our goal threat and got one. Yes, the same failed players, and he's not the only one, but that's what we have at the club.

If you think that’s enough, one half opportunity, then I worry about us. He’s done nothing of note. Imagine trying to hit Doidge when we can play football. No it’s not what we have, we have players like Rudi especially who gives a hell of a lot more than Christian Doidge.

The sooner ALF is back the better then. If we are hamstrung towards players like Doidge. Get the young kids in and give them the opportunities that Doidge et al have been afforded especially in games like Saturday.

superfurryhibby
18-01-2024, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;7550689]You asked for an example of where Doidge increased our goal threat and got one. Yes, the same failed players, and he's not the only one, but that's what we have at the club.

If you think that’s enough, one half opportunity, then I worry about us. He’s done nothing of note. Imagine trying to hit Doidge when we can play football. No it’s not what we have, we have players like Rudi especially who gives a hell of a lot more than Christian Doidge.

The sooner ALF is back the better then. If we are hamstrung towards players like Doidge. Get the young kids in and give them the opportunities that Doidge et al have been afforded especially in games like Saturday.

Where did I say Doidge is enough? I pointed out that that's what we have. FWIW, Doidge has 41 goals for Hibs in 142 appearances.

Rudi, aged 17, played for around twenty minutes in his Hibs career and you think he gives a hell of a lot more than Doidge. Based on what exactly?

If Molotnikov plays on Saturday, it will be instead of Levitt. I don't think that will happen.

xbar81
18-01-2024, 10:34 AM
Almost as if you have signed up here to stir the pot.....

Not stirring the pot, just here to add my opinion like every one else. Fofar is a chance for a good performance.

Hibernian Verse
18-01-2024, 10:36 AM
Not stirring the pot, just here to add my opinion like every one else. Fofar is a chance for a good performance.

Brora are a decent side tbf.

andrew70
18-01-2024, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=andrew70;7550714]

Where did I say Doidge is enough? I pointed out that that's what we have. FWIW, Doidge has 41 goals for Hibs in 142 appearances.

Rudi, aged 17, played for around twenty minutes in his Hibs career and you think he gives a hell of a lot more than Doidge. Based on what exactly?

If Molotnikov plays on Saturday, it will be instead of Levitt. I don't think that will happen.

Based on having watched him several times for development and under 18s. He’s progressive on the ball, outstanding in an attacking midfield role and can play as a second striker which is where he’d play if called upon on Sat.

He’s dynamic, can pick a pass and drives at defences. He’s got the lot. What we are crying out for.

Edit: whilst Doidge fails to win headers and the ball just bounces off him. What an option that is.

xbar81
18-01-2024, 10:59 AM
Brora are a decent side tbf.

and we don't want them in the next round.

superfurryhibby
18-01-2024, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;7550729]

Based on having watched him several times for development and under 18s. He’s progressive on the ball, outstanding in an attacking midfield role and can play as a second striker which is where he’d play if called upon on Sat.

He’s dynamic, can pick a pass and drives at defences. He’s got the lot. What we are crying out for.

Edit: whilst Doidge fails to win headers and the ball just bounces off him. What an option that is.

So the striking options are a guy who is 17, and playing him out of position, or an experienced striker who has a decent goals/minutes ratio (your evaluation of Doidge is rubbish).

If Molotnikov plays, it should be in midfield.

andrew70
18-01-2024, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=andrew70;7550739]

So the striking options are a guy who is 17, and playing him out of position, or an experienced striker who has a decent goals/minutes ratio (your evaluation of Doidge is rubbish).

If Molotnikov plays, it should be in midfield.

Why? He’s played majority of his youth career in an attacking mid/second striker role. Creating and cajoling.

Rubbish? That’s why we’ve tried to empty him for the last three windows. Why we’ve consistently played others ahead of him, everyone else can see he’s done at the top level.

He’s only at Hibs because he knows he won’t get as good a contract if he goes anywhere else, well that and his missus.

Jones28
18-01-2024, 11:14 AM

Doidge is not a failed player by any means. He still has a role to play for us IMO.

Springbank
18-01-2024, 11:23 AM
Is Levitt undroppable?

He'd be the guy I take out in favour of Jeggo or Rudi for this one

It's not to criticise the guy

But it is to say "what message does it send out if he starts after his last few games?"

IMO he could do with not starting the next 2 games (Forfar & TRangers) but be prepared to come on and make an actual impact at 67mins

Hibernian Verse
18-01-2024, 11:27 AM
and we don't want them in the next round.

You'll have to get past Spartans first.

Brightside
18-01-2024, 11:31 AM
Is Levitt undroppable?

But it is to say "what message does it send out if he starts after his last few games?"

IMO he could do with not starting the next 2 games (Forfar & TRangers) but be prepared to come on and make an actual impact at 67mins

If we have to play Jeggo against Forfar we are in serious trouble.

andrew70
18-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Is Levitt undroppable?

I like Levitt he needs a partner to speed things up though.

He’s constantly having to drop so deep to get the ball because it’s taking so long for the ball to get used by Newell and the centre halves. He’s having to go looking for it instead of being fed it 10 yards or so further up the park.

I am sure it’s not Montgomery’s want to have both his centre mids between centre halves. On that note Levitt should stay higher up instead of going looking but I can understand why he does that.

One downfall of Levitt’s was the lack of a proper pre season, I think the work in. Dubai will help him in that factor though.

I expect to see a rejuvenated Levitt second half of this season pushing and probing. Certainly don’t think we want to be dropping him.

Stubbsy90+2
18-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Is Levitt undroppable?

Levitt shouldn’t be in the team imo. Been really, really poor.

superfurryhibby
18-01-2024, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=superfurryhibby;7550763]

Why? He’s played majority of his youth career in an attacking mid/second striker role. Creating and cajoling.

Rubbish? That’s why we’ve tried to empty him for the last three windows. Why we’ve consistently played others ahead of him, everyone else can see he’s done at the top level.

He’s only at Hibs because he knows he won’t get as good a contract if he goes anywhere else, well that and his missus.

You should probably let NM know he 's done, as he's played Doidge in 22 games so far this season.

Last season he was on loan for the majority of the season and the season before that he suffered effects of Covid and then a serious injury. He was liked at Killie, so McInnes clearly rated him (even if he wasn't exactly prolific for them)

Doidge looked decent early this season, he was contributing well whether he started or came on as a sub. As I already said, I'm not his greatest fan, but I'll be right behind him on Saturday. He'll be well suited to a game where we should have lots of possession and make lots of crosses (your assessment of his aerial ability...more nonsense). Molotnikov won't play ahead of Doidge and rightly so.

superfurryhibby
18-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Levitt shouldn’t be in the team imo. Been really, really poor.

He's not impressed me. The alternatives aren't exactly brimming with quality either, although Jeggo's ball winning qualities might be useful.

Dashing Bob S
18-01-2024, 12:37 PM
Unfashionable statement to make on here, but I fancy Hibs in this one.

xbar81
18-01-2024, 02:19 PM
You'll have to get past Spartans first.

lets hope we do get Spartans next round.

Since452
18-01-2024, 03:08 PM
lets hope we do get Spartans next round.

Our record is pish in Edinburgh derbies

xbar81
18-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Our record is pish in Edinburgh derbies

Won't matter since the Yams would have been already put out. No pressure on us

Tambo
19-01-2024, 05:53 AM
I have no idea who's available or not so would go for the best team available.

I like the idea of Rudi starting but feel he will be on the bench.

xbar81
19-01-2024, 10:17 AM
when is the cup draw? Yes we'll get through :na na:

andrew70
19-01-2024, 10:23 AM
when is the cup draw? Yes we'll get through :na na:

8.15pm Sunday. Live on Sportscene. BBC Scotland

andrew70
19-01-2024, 10:30 AM
https://shorturl.at/hADU5

xbar81
19-01-2024, 10:35 AM
8.15pm Sunday. Live on Sportscene. BBC Scotland

Better than previous times of things like Tuesday afternoon at 2.15pm. Surprised it's not on Viaplay after the Celtic game tbh

Since452
19-01-2024, 11:41 AM
The new signing coming in will have given the players a boost i reckon. I know he can't play tomorrow but just getting a new face in sometimes makes a difference. Especially when they have a good pedigree. From being worried about this tie for weeks i now think we'll win 6-0 :greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
19-01-2024, 11:47 AM
https://shorturl.at/hADU5

This is a good read. We need to find a solution that keeps our number 9 away from the middle of the park.

Rudi definitely is not a traditional centre mid so I hope NM doesn't slot him in there but keeping him ahead of a middle 2 but behind Vente could get the best out of both

I wouldn't look to make huge changes, but integrating Rudi in a game like this seems like a no brainer

147lothian
19-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Is Levitt undroppable?

I would play Levitt from that three against Forfar because he's the best one for picking a pass, Jeggo is good for breaking up play, I don't see that being our main concern against Forfar, Rudi I'm not really sure what his role or best position is? If your talking about playing Jeggo against The Rangers though I can definitely see your point for that game.

Brightside
19-01-2024, 01:42 PM
This is a good read. We need to find a solution that keeps our number 9 away from the middle of the park.

Rudi definitely is not a traditional centre mid so I hope NM doesn't slot him in there but keeping him ahead of a middle 2 but behind Vente could get the best out of both

I wouldn't look to make huge changes, but integrating Rudi in a game like this seems like a no brainer

Rudi really doesn't have a position yet. He's played all over up to now. The false 9 would work in this 442 but he has the quality to also play anywhere in midfield. He just needs time.

scoopyboy
19-01-2024, 02:58 PM
I think Doidge’s days in a Hibs jersey is coming to an end but he has an excellent record of scoring against lower league clubs in cup ties

Billy Whizz
19-01-2024, 03:32 PM
A lovely article on the Forfar captain, Andy Munro. As nice a big laddie you could ever meet
His big brother is a Hibs away season ticket holder as well!

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/hibs-daft-forfar-man-aims-28479111