PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Mickey Weir

Stantons Angel
16-01-2024, 12:45 PM
Lets all wish Mickey a BIG HIBBY Birthday today.

Hope you have brilliant day pal.

xx

Baader
16-01-2024, 01:30 PM
Lets all wish Mickey a BIG HIBBY Birthday today.

Hope you have brilliant day pal.

xx

Happy Birthday Mickey! A great Hibby. Enjoyed reading his feelings for the club here:

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/what-hibs-means-to-me-mickey-weir

Cat Stanton
16-01-2024, 01:31 PM
57!

That makes me feel very, very old.

hibeerealist
16-01-2024, 01:37 PM
Happy Birthday Micky!!

he's here, He's there,
he's every F where,
Micky Weir, Micky Weir

:flag:

He's here!
16-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Remember him coming into the side in the 84/85 season, when we were battling relegation and he really lifted spirits. We didn't win between October and January before beating Rangers at Ibrox and following up with a home win over Dumbarton, which I'm pretty sure was Weir's home debut. We won that game, with Weir linking well with Gordon Durie and I remember a newspaper headline along the lines of 'Big hopes for wee Weir'.

lyonhibs
16-01-2024, 03:26 PM
Happy Birthday Mickey! A great Hibby. Enjoyed reading his feelings for the club here:

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/what-hibs-means-to-me-mickey-weir

That song isn't *quite* as I remember it........

Met him once at a London Hibs Burns Night almost 15 years ago, I was absolutely awestruck, could barely string a sentence together.

Great player, could do with a few more players with his heart and commitment these days.

gbhibby
16-01-2024, 05:08 PM
Would see him kicking a ball and practicing his skills in his back garden till all hours in Clerry. What a player

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2024, 05:13 PM
Happy Birthday Wee Man

Enjoy your day

Watch out for banana skins :greengrin

:cup:

He’s here

He’s there

He’s every bleep where

gbhibby
16-01-2024, 05:45 PM
Happy Birthday Wee Man

Enjoy your day

Watch out for banana skins :greengrin

:cup:

He’s here

He’s there

He’s every bleep wherehttps://youtu.be/z4xf8d21qjc?si=-Oq-v2gCMVdHqkRz
Mickey Weir reference in this video.

There was an episode of the comedy show Absolutely where McGlashan nominated Mickey Weir as his man of the week then proceeded to sing the song in full including the F word.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
16-01-2024, 06:01 PM
Happy birthday to a great Hibernian.

Mickey took some punishment, at a time when tackling was a bit more robust than it is now. He was as tough as auld boots and had great skills on the ball. Fans loved him and no wonder. What a player.

Chipper1875
16-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Remember him coming into the side in the 84/85 season, when we were battling relegation and he really lifted spirits. We didn't win between October and January before beating Rangers at Ibrox and following up with a home win over Dumbarton, which I'm pretty sure was Weir's home debut. We won that game, with Weir linking well with Gordon Durie and I remember a newspaper headline along the lines of 'Big hopes for wee Weir'.

Made his debut season 1983/84 in a league cup tie against Airdrie, in a 3-1 win. His home debut was season 84/85 in that season against Dumbarton, we lost 3-2. Later in season he played in a home victory versus Dumbarton in a 3-1 victory.

Played for 13 seasons , which a very short stint at Luton. Should really have had a testimonial.

Some support we took to parkhead for his second debut.

The reception he got at Fir Park , when he got subbed playing for Motherwell, was incredible. We got pumped 6-2.

A top player. Hibs through and through.

He's here!
16-01-2024, 07:13 PM
Made his debut season 1983/84 in a league cup tie against Airdrie, in a 3-1 win. His home debut was earlier in that season against Dumbarton, we lost 3-2. Later in season he played in a home victory versus Dumbarton in a 3-1 victory.

Played for 13 seasons , which a very short stint at Luton. Should really have had a testimonial.

Some support we took to parkhead for his second debut.

The reception he got at Fir Park , when he got subbed playing for Motherwell, was incredible. We got pumped 6-2.

A top player. Hibs through and through.

The Airdrie game was 83/84 but the Dumbarton games were 84/85.

Pretty awful season during which we somehow won at Parkhead and Ibrox yet got knocked out the League Cup by Meadowbank Thistle and were battling relegation until a decisive win at Dumbarton when the club put on free buses for Hibs fans and we took a big, boisterous support through.

We also signed John Brogan who I thought was going to be great but bar a cracking goal against Morton he was a big disappointment.

Average home attendance was less than 7.5k.

Chipper1875
16-01-2024, 07:34 PM
The Airdrie game was 83/84 but the Dumbarton games were 84/85.

Pretty awful season during which we somehow won at Parkhead and Ibrox yet got knocked out the League Cup by Meadowbank Thistle and were battling relegation until a decisive win at Dumbarton when the club put on free buses for Hibs fans and we took a big, boisterous support through.

We also signed John Brogan who I thought was going to be great but bar a cracking goal against Morton he was a big disappointment.

Average home attendance was less than 7.5k.
Yes , Dumbarton was 84/85.

Remember Brogans goal well. Was some season. Great memories

Billy Whizz
16-01-2024, 07:37 PM
https://youtu.be/z4xf8d21qjc?si=-Oq-v2gCMVdHqkRz
Mickey Weir reference in this video.

There was an episode of the comedy show Absolutely where McGlashan nominated Mickey Weir as his man of the week then proceeded to sing the song in full including the F word.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk
Made me laugh watching that again😀

JimBHibees
17-01-2024, 07:12 AM
Happy birthday to a great Hibernian.

Mickey took some punishment, at a time when tackling was a bit more robust than it is now. He was as tough as auld boots and had great skills on the ball. Fans loved him and no wonder. What a player.

You’re not wrong about the punishment. Can remember a game at Ibrox John Brown booted him about three times in the first 5 mins. Unsurprisingly no protection from the ref. Wonderful player was Mickey

Svengali
17-01-2024, 09:23 AM
What a great player Mickey was and pivotal part of the Skol Cup winning team of ‘91. Including his MOM performance in the final.

One of my childhood heroes.

Hibs legend.

He's here!
17-01-2024, 10:17 AM
One thing that strikes me when looking at his overall record is that he didn't make as many first-team appearances as you'd imagine bearing in mind how long he was at the club. From memory he started to drift out of the starting line-up as the 90s progressed. I think bringing in O'Neill and McAllister probably limited his opportunities in his latter years at Hibs.

Chipper1875
17-01-2024, 10:35 AM
One thing that strikes me when looking at his overall record is that he didn't make as many first-team appearances as you'd imagine bearing in mind how long he was at the club. From memory he started to drift out of the starting line-up as the 90s progressed. I think bringing in O'Neill and McAllister probably limited his opportunities in his latter years at Hibs.
Had a few long term injuries

He's here!
17-01-2024, 11:00 AM
Had a few long term injuries

Yes, thought that might have been the case. Gets harder to remember as the years go by!

We tend to focus on the Riordan, Brown, O'Connor etc generation when talking about our best bunch of youngsters but Mickey came through alongside some really strong kids including Collins, Kane, May, Hunter, Milne...even boo boy favourite Tortolano was a better player than he was given credit for. It's a shame the club was so skint as we could probably have built a strong side around those guys, especially when we had Durie up front. We got a bit of a glimpse of what might be achieved when we signed Steve Archibald, which was a remarkable coup in hindsight and the real marquee moment of the Duff/Gray era which sadly turned out to be built on sand.