PDA

View Full Version : The Five Year Plan

matty_f
10-01-2024, 09:45 AM
This was our starting eleven five years ago.

Who makes it into today's team?

Have we improved since then?

(Hopefully the attachment had worked and you can see the team!)

Hillsidehibby
10-01-2024, 09:56 AM
Steven Whittaker is a no brainer

Smartie
10-01-2024, 09:58 AM
The spine of that team is immeasurably better than now, albeit we weren't getting enough from Kamberi as a lone striker. The spine of that team actually really shows up the current team imo.

The peripheries are better now.

Joe Newell would challenge for a place in that midfield but I think I'd have Slivka, Bartley and Horgan long before any of our other midfielders (although I wouldn't mind seeing Levitt in that advanced central midfield role).

The whole spine of that team - GK, both CHs, all midfielders and arguably the striker (maybe Vente's better as a striker, maybe not, he doesn't spend enough time up front for us to be able to say) are better than our current team imo.

Are Mallan and Horgan not maybe in the wrong positions there?

Smartie
10-01-2024, 09:59 AM
Steven Whittaker is a no brainer

He was starting to struggle a bit for pace as a FB in a back 4 by that point though.

As a DM or on the right of a back 3 he was still very good.

CentreLine
10-01-2024, 10:00 AM
McGregor of that era gets in the current team for sure.

matty_f
10-01-2024, 10:07 AM
The spine of that team is immeasurably better than now, albeit we weren't getting enough from Kamberi as a lone striker. The spine of that team actually really shows up the current team imo.

Joe Newell would challenge for a place in that midfield but I think I'd have Slivka, Bartley and Horgan long before any of our other midfielders (although I wouldn't mind seeing Levitt in that advanced central midfield role).

The whole spine of that team - GK, both CHs, all midfielders and arguably the striker (maybe Vente's better as a striker, maybe not, he doesn't spend enough time up front for us to be able to say) are better than our current team imo.

I can't remember how we set up that night, just lifted it from the BBC.
It was also a cup game, couple of changes for the next league game (a 1-0 defeat to Motherwell)

https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=Motherwell%20vs%20Hibernian&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5#wptab=si:AKbGX_r4pOB-a1fqqnBdjSllWapT9TsnuUL7Kt_NnIoaRA7QI3TOZ0YIhbWtEd JNYSwsrBRGA7XTGHPSCjQ94Qzc5J88tAcxe9GMdeUtmy2FH-Lw8StBU9ITJgmEp76IAWiro5wQ3HD56DMmIiin-BbPf-JHSRDjtfRUqsjE8L1F5qjoRvzbbfYYAnmS2ZG28Xfhormfme_e Om5pMaW3Hw4KRDM5mgU33qd5gv5ZXiJbzhz-4M-Lg1RXanMOlwgP4KQO_ehnqJOOA0D6p5qlp0R7nMcVftDXiiL21 WNzgummWbbhXa8FSMqEoovTQTIWebzpqndo6c0G485LmHY9kA5 ITEqfiBh7lg==

Edit, that link just takes you to general Hibs v Motherwell results.

Here's the line up:
https://x.com/longbangers/status/1745037476282892696?s=46&t=9ECFsSDsGgie80A2m3HH1A

Stubbsy90+2
10-01-2024, 10:16 AM
From that team I’d take:

Bogdan

Whittaker
McGregor of 5 years ago
Hanlon of 5 years ago

Slivka
Bartley

After that, I think Horgan, Mallan and Kamberi would be much of a muchness with what we currently have. Over the piece i reckon that team is significantly better than our current one.

The Gauld that we had I wouldn’t go near, likewise Mackie.

From our current side I think the only guaranteed starters would be Newell and Boyle.

Keyser Sauzee
10-01-2024, 10:38 AM
Current Ryan Gauls gets into todays team, not the one we signed however.

easty
10-01-2024, 10:42 AM

Newell easily gets in that midfield. Slivka was nowhere near as good. Bartley isn't really comparable, completely different type of player. Horgan was anonymous 10x more often than Newell.

Spudster
10-01-2024, 10:57 AM
I don't think any from that team would make todays team :tin hat:

Pretty Boy
10-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Bogdan definitely. He is still the one that got away for me.

McGregor from 5 years ago would be a starter for us now.

And people will let their personal feelings about him cloud their judgement but Kamberi would walk into our team now, especially if we are playing 2 up front. No one is picking the current incarnation of Doidge over Kamberi if they are basing it solely on footballing ability.

It's strange because beyond that I'm not sure I'd swap many of that team for the team now but equally I wouldn't be confident the current side would beat that one. It's got draw written all over it.

Spudster
10-01-2024, 11:13 AM
And people will let their personal feelings about him cloud their judgement but Kamberi would walk into our team now, especially if we are playing 2 up front. No one is picking the current incarnation of Doidge over Kamberi if they are basing it solely on footballing ability.

Would definitely agree if it was Kamberi of 6 years ago and not 5.
He started 30 games that season scoring 8. For context Oli Shaw started 11 and scored 6, McNulty started 13 and scored 7.

Since452
10-01-2024, 11:24 AM
All other than Mackie and Gauld are better than what we have now. Quite a scary regression. The fact we are still relying on the same Paul Hanlon is ridiculous. That isn't a dig at Hanlon but we are five years down the line and he's naturally declined as you'd expect.

Jones28
10-01-2024, 11:32 AM
Kamberi gets in mine every day of the week.

hibeerealist
10-01-2024, 12:23 PM
Bogdan, Whittaker, Darren and Marvin

The Modfather
10-01-2024, 12:52 PM
Thought we were finally going to get the details of Petrie’s fabled 5 year plan. Dissapointing it’s a different 5 year plan.

Think that team v our current team could have a cracker of a top 6 decider against each other.

Tyler Durden
10-01-2024, 02:17 PM
Slivka, Horgan, Mallan, Kamberi - none of them have gone onto better things.

2 poor teams basically with some good experienced pros like Whittaker, McGregor, Hanlon, Newell.

We've done a really poor job since winning the cup of bringing in guys who give you 2 good seasons and then move upwards. Only really had the likes of Doig and Nisbet. Has there been many more?

SickBoy32
10-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Slivka, Horgan, Mallan, Kamberi - none of them have gone onto better things.

2 poor teams basically with some good experienced pros like Whittaker, McGregor, Hanlon, Newell.

We've done a really poor job since winning the cup of bringing in guys who give you 2 good seasons and then move upwards. Only really had the likes of Doig and Nisbet. Has there been many more?

Porto? Appreciate he was a product of the youth system to be fair.

Agree with your general point

Jones28
10-01-2024, 03:00 PM
Porto? Appreciate he was a product of the youth system to be fair.

Agree with your general point

Marciano?

thebausburst
10-01-2024, 03:11 PM
I think Hibs just accidentally left a ‘0’ off the end of the ‘5’ year plan 👍

Stuart93
10-01-2024, 03:45 PM
I’d argue kamberi is better than what vente is currently showing us tbh

HoboHarry
10-01-2024, 03:48 PM
When he could be bothered, and even that's only a maybe.

WhileTheChief..
10-01-2024, 04:02 PM
I thought we had a decent team 5 years ago but geez, that's just as bad as what we have now.

TrinityHFC
10-01-2024, 04:02 PM

In some of his earlier loan matches maybe - once the ball started bouncing off him and he was beating himself with his own step overs, not so much.

Spudster
10-01-2024, 04:40 PM
I thought we had a decent team 5 years ago but geez, that's just as bad as what we have now.

:agree: Think others are thinking of some of these guys in their prime too. Whittaker and Kamberi performed poorly that season. McGregor and Bartley were so limited on the ball they wouldn't get in our current team/system and the others were never good enough TBH.

JimBHibees
10-01-2024, 04:46 PM
Bogdan definitely. He is still the one that got away for me.

McGregor from 5 years ago would be a starter for us now.

It's strange because beyond that I'm not sure I'd swap many of that team for the team now but equally I wouldn't be confident the current side would beat that one. It's got draw written all over it.

Agree Bogdan pretty sure Elgin was the game he got a bad head knock from a frankly shocking challenge. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the clown who bet on himself getting booked but possibly wrong. Not sure he recovered fully

worcesterhibby
10-01-2024, 06:02 PM
Bogdan V Marshall = maybe Bogdan, but Marshall has played well in the last couple of months..no complaints from me 50/50

Whittaker V Miller = Hmmm Whitts on the way downhill..Miller an International on the way up ?.. I take Miller

McGregor V Fish = McGregor is legend, but he'd be useless playing from the back the way we do now.........Can't not pick Dazzler though

Hanlon V Hanlon = I'll call that a draw and if we are comparing against Rocky...it's still a draw

Mackie V Obita = Obita Win deffo

Gauld V Newell = Newell every day

Slivka V Levitt or Jair = Slivka is better than Levitt, but not as good as Jair...I take Jair

Bartley V Jeggo = I like Jeggo..but I pick the Bartman

Mallan V Youan = Tough one, Loved Mallan in his early days scoring from everywhere..but I think I'll take Youan

Horgan V Boyle = Boyle everyday...despite the Horgan Derby

Kamberi V Vente = I take Vente every day

So that's 8.5 for todays team and 2.5 to the old team

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2024, 06:25 PM
He was starting to struggle a bit for pace as a FB in a back 4 by that point though.

As a DM or on the right of a back 3 he was still very good.

Always thought he was much better in midfield.

basehibby
10-01-2024, 09:16 PM

Very tricky. Easy to say you'd take McGregor and Hanlon of 5 years ago but now we have younger players in Rocky and Fish with the potential to improve.

Porteous is an obvious one that would get into most Hibs teams. Whittaker of that period was a fading star though and would struggle to nail down a place.
Bartley would get in ahead of Jeggo as a DM.
Kamberi was quality but had a stinking attitude - Vente we can hope will prove a better signing - at least we can rely on him to try a leg!
Gauld was not a success for us at all - Levitt has made more impact in his short time here even if he's been a bit lacklustre so far.
Horgan was a player I liked very much - but was he better than Youan, Boyle or Tavares? Arguably not.
Bogdan in goal was very good for us when he got picked- but better than Marshall? Hard to argue that given Marsh's recent heroics.
Slivka for me never showed enough consistency to cut the mustard and would easily be displaced by Joe Newell.
Overall, I think we have better balance in the side than we did back then with more pace and trickery in forward areas. With a few effective signings we could yet have a good season. Back then having just lost McGinn, that side was very much in transition and if I'm not mistaken that was reflected in final league position.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-01-2024, 09:28 PM

BH used to appreciate the 5 year plan. 😊

Viva_Palmeiras
11-01-2024, 06:55 AM
Very tricky. Easy to say you'd take McGregor and Hanlon of 5 years ago but now we have younger players in Rocky and Fish with the potential to improve.

Porteous is an obvious one that would get into most Hibs teams. Whittaker of that period was a fading star though and would struggle to nail down a place.
Bartley would get in ahead of Jeggo as a DM.
Kamberi was quality but had a stinking attitude - Vente we can hope will prove a better signing - at least we can rely on him to try a leg!
Gauld was not a success for us at all - Levitt has made more impact in his short time here even if he's been a bit lacklustre so far.
Horgan was a player I liked very much - but was he better than Youan, Boyle or Tavares? Arguably not.
Bogdan in goal was very good for us when he got picked- but better than Marshall? Hard to argue that given Marsh's recent heroics.
Slivka for me never showed enough consistency to cut the mustard and would easily be displaced by Joe Newell.
Overall, I think we have better balance in the side than we did back then with more pace and trickery in forward areas. With a few effective signings we could yet have a good season. Back then having just lost McGinn, that side was very much in transition and if I'm not mistaken that was reflected in final league position.

this.

as for 5 year plans do we actually have one and if so why is it not communicated - even in retrospect?

every team outside the top 2 and those just wanting to stay in the league wil cite the same mantra (so it becomes meaningless) later stages of the cups and a top 4 finish or above.

but if we were to have a score card for Hibs what would the dimensions look like?

- Sporting performances
- cups Semis/Finals

- Player development
- Sell on fees
- Academy breaking into first
- International caps
- back up & youth for each position.
- do we have a consistent “spine”
- loan success

- Revenue Growth

- Sponsorshio revenues

- ????

… you probably want 5 indicators what would they be?

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2024, 12:37 PM
BH used to appreciate the 5 year plan. 😊

Hopefully my patience is about to be rewarded soon. :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
11-01-2024, 03:52 PM

Currently in Croatia Kamberi good player when on it

Silky
11-01-2024, 05:19 PM
this.

as for 5 year plans do we actually have one and if so why is it not communicated - even in retrospect?

every team outside the top 2 and those just wanting to stay in the league wil cite the same mantra (so it becomes meaningless) later stages of the cups and a top 4 finish or above.

but if we were to have a score card for Hibs what would the dimensions look like?

- Sporting performances
- cups Semis/Finals

- Player development
- Sell on fees
- International caps
- loan success

- Revenue Growth

- Sponsorshio revenues

- ????

Beat Hearts.

Eyrie
11-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Hopefully my patience is about to be rewarded soon. :greengrin

Only another 59 months to go ..... :na na:

blackpoolhibs
11-01-2024, 07:34 PM
Only another 59 months to go ..... :na na:

Nothing would surprise me. :greengrin

aazza91
11-01-2024, 10:28 PM
Just looked at our Squad for that season and so many players that didn't play in that game or left at Xmas. Some good, some not so good..

McNulty, Hyndman, Efe, Omeonga, Milligan and Marciano.

We did have some folk who didn't kick a ball like Darnell Johnson, Mavrias, Spector, Nelom and Bigirimana 🙊

Bridge hibs
11-01-2024, 11:03 PM
Just looked at our Squad for that season and so many players that didn't play in that game or left at Xmas. Some good, some not so good..

McNulty, Hyndman, Efe, Omeonga, Milligan and Marciano.

We did have some folk who didn't kick a ball like Darnell Johnson, Mavrias, Spector, Nelom and Bigirimana 🙊Those mentioned at the bottom all did play, but it was a total of around 9 games between the 5 of them 😳

hibbydog
13-01-2024, 06:42 AM
this.

- Sporting performances
- cups Semis/Finals

- Player development
- Sell on fees
- International caps
- loan success

- Revenue Growth

- Sponsorshio revenues

- ????

I’d make our KPIs based around

The bee all and end all for fans

League placement
European qualification
Cup Wins (or at least semis and final appearances)
Derby victories (we’ve been woeful in recent years and improving this would probs boost everything else)

Then stuff that’s secondary-ish

Attendances
Transfer fees
International caps
Youth academy players in first team

I wonder how the club has this set up for measuring performance?

Viva_Palmeiras
14-01-2024, 10:14 AM
I’d make our KPIs based around

The bee all and end all for fans

League placement
European qualification
Cup Wins (or at least semis and final appearances)
Derby victories (we’ve been woeful in recent years and improving this would probs boost everything else)

Then stuff that’s secondary-ish

Attendances
Transfer fees
International caps
Youth academy players in first team

I wonder how the club has this set up for measuring performance?

even if there was a lag in explanation it would be handy to know (assuming it doesn’t have an adverse impact) I mean with the recent willingness to let the cameras in does thus signal our Glasnost period where more transparent with the fans?

fwiw I think drawing a line on the Derby record - the future starts here. And we make inroads it’s so important in Edinburgh may not be an indicator of where we land league wise but it provides a platform for confidence