PDA

View Full Version : Campbell out for 12 weeks.

greenlex
05-01-2024, 04:03 PM
As it says on the tin. Makes our business this window a bit more urgent.

LewysGot2
05-01-2024, 05:26 PM
Yeah, fracture in the ankle

jacomo
06-01-2024, 07:35 AM
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

JimBHibees
06-01-2024, 08:38 AM
Shame for the guy hopefully back sooner.

Keith_M
06-01-2024, 08:53 AM
We've had a bit of a nightmare with injuries over the last couple of years.

We need to find out what Dundee Utd's secret was in 1983 when they managed to go a whole season... and win the league... with only 14 players.

DIXIHIBS
06-01-2024, 09:22 AM

We need to find out what Dundee Utd's secret was in 1983 when they managed to go a whole season... and win the league... with only 14 players.

When you consider the tackling that went on back then it seems incredible only 14 players used. There is definitely more injuries nowadays in what is a much gentler game.

JimBHibees
06-01-2024, 09:31 AM
When you consider the tackling that went on back then it seems incredible only 14 players used. There is definitely more injuries nowadays in what is a much gentler game.

The speed and intensity is much quicker plus players are significantly stronger so collisions more impactful.

h18eeynick
06-01-2024, 01:33 PM

I had a trial with the first team in November 1981 and yes it was a small squad . They actually trained on public parks all over Dundee and travelled by mini bus from Tannadice. No fancy training ground then. Walter Smith drove the minibus as Assistant to Jim McLean and he drove me to the train station after a 3 day trial. I was there from the Tuesday to the Thursday and Rangers beat them 2-1 on the Saturday in the League Cup final !

Keith_M
06-01-2024, 05:01 PM
I had a trial with the first team in November 1981 and yes it was a small squad . They actually trained on public parks all over Dundee and travelled by mini bus from Tannadice. No fancy training ground then. Walter Smith drove the minibus as Assistant to Jim McLean and he drove me to the train station after a 3 day trial. I was there from the Tuesday to the Thursday and Rangers beat them 2-1 on the Saturday in the League Cup final !

Wow, thanks for sharing that. It must have been quite an experience

:aok:

ancient hibee
06-01-2024, 07:12 PM

It was the bonus system. Basic wage was very poor. Bonuses were very good. Players had to be in the team didn’t want to miss out-ignoredthe “wee niggles” that so many players nowadays seem to suffer from. Had a very tough defence and midfield who made sure if anybody was going to be injured it wouldn’t be a United player.. Very skilled of course and controlled most of the games they played.

h18eeynick
06-01-2024, 07:42 PM
It was the bonus system. Basic wage was very poor. Bonuses were very good. Players had to be in the team didn’t want to miss out-ignoredthe “wee niggles” that so many players nowadays seem to suffer from. Had a very tough defence and midfield who made sure if anybody was going to be injured it wouldn’t be a United player.. Very skilled of course and controlled most of the games they played.

Very true. Paul Sturrock was on about £250 per week and Richard Gough was just breaking in to the team and was on £50 per week . Very low basics at the time . Never heard what the bonus payments were but they were quite open about basics.