PDA

View Full Version : Best Player in the house

Radge70
05-01-2024, 03:35 PM
The possibility of world cup legend Jurgen Klinsman’s son Jonathan coming to Hibs got me wondering (despite Neil Lennon’s famous words about John McGinn) how many times we have had the best player in the house compared to perhaps the worst. John McGinn and Andy Goram spring to mind as the real coups for Hibs (and maybe Kenny Dalglish on a technicality, since his son Paul played for us). In the current squad O’Connor and Boruc still has time but have a lot to do to to emulate their Dad/Cousin. Akpo Sodje – well he ain’t Effe he’s his brother and Andrew Shinnie is probably also a downgrade on his older sibling. Craig Rocastle wasn’t as good as his cousin David and Simon Murray I’m too young to remember how good his Dad was. Who else is there?

Hibbyradge
05-01-2024, 03:44 PM
The Miller brothers

Hibbyradge
05-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Jamie McAllister

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2024, 03:45 PM
Joe McBride Jnr

Craig Paterson

Radge70
05-01-2024, 03:49 PM
The Miller brothers
😂 more about who was worse in that scenario!

Since452
05-01-2024, 03:54 PM
Isaiah Osbourne wasn't as good as his brother Isaac (I think).

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2024, 03:55 PM
Runar Hauge

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2024, 03:57 PM
The possibility of world cup legend Jurgen Klinsman’s son Jonathan coming to Hibs got me wondering (despite Neil Lennon’s famous words about John McGinn) how many times we have had the best player in the house compared to perhaps the worst. John McGinn and Andy Goram spring to mind as the real coups for Hibs (and maybe Kenny Dalglish on a technicality, since his son Paul played for us). In the current squad O’Connor and Boruc still has time but have a lot to do to to emulate their Dad/Cousin. Akpo Sodje – well he ain’t Effe he’s his brother and Andrew Shinnie is probably also a downgrade on his older sibling. Craig Rocastle wasn’t as good as his cousin David and Simon Murray I’m too young to remember how good his Dad was. Who else is there?

Which Andy Goram? 🤔

Speedy
05-01-2024, 03:57 PM
Like the sowumni brothers?

(I can't even remember the origin of the crap joke I'm referencing)

LewysGot2
05-01-2024, 05:23 PM
Henderson brothers

Bobo
05-01-2024, 05:39 PM
The Baker Boys surely 👍🏻

Silky
07-01-2024, 10:35 AM
Rachael Boyle. 😜

ancient hibee
07-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Gordon Marshall and Gordon Marshall

Cat Stanton
07-01-2024, 02:08 PM
Gordon Marshall and Gordon Marshall

Alex Miller and his son who is so memorable, I can't remember his name.

He wasn't up to much but did score (the equaliser??) in a Derby at Easter Road.

Was it Greg maybe?

Cat Stanton
07-01-2024, 02:17 PM
There are a few other father and son combinations. Bryan Gunn (father of Scotland keeper, Angus) was briefly at Hibs, I think. Joe McBride (son of more famous father of same name) played in the (?) 1980s. And of course we had Jackie Macnamara senior, but not junior (both were great players).

Cat Stanton
07-01-2024, 02:20 PM
There are a few other father and son combinations. Bryan Gunn (father of Scotland keeper, Angus) was briefly at Hibs, I think. Joe McBride (son of more famous father of same name) played in the (?) 1980s. And of course we had Jackie Macnamara senior, but not junior (both were great players).

From a google, I see that Joe McBride senior also played for Hibs. Didn't realise that.

Groathillgrump
07-01-2024, 02:26 PM
From a google, I see that Joe McBride senior also played for Hibs. Didn't realise that.

You're making me feel old. Joe McBride senior scored two goals for Hibs against Celtic in my first ever match at Easter Road in 1970.

He's here!
07-01-2024, 02:38 PM

He was an excellent player.

wallpaperman
07-01-2024, 03:35 PM
Alex Miller and his son who is so memorable, I can't remember his name.

He wasn't up to much but did score (the equaliser??) in a Derby at Easter Road.

Was it Greg maybe?

Was there not two of Miller’s sons on the books, Graham and Greg?

I do remember Greg scrambling a late equaliser in quite a big game at ER, was it the derby or maybe Aberdeen?

Hillsidehibby
07-01-2024, 04:19 PM
He was an excellent player.

44 goals in 67 games

erin go bragh
07-01-2024, 05:17 PM
You're making me feel old. Joe McBride senior scored two goals for Hibs against Celtic in my first ever match at Easter Road in 1970.
His Son scored two late goals at the PBS earning a 2-2 mid 80s( 2 crackers to boot:)

CropleyWasGod
07-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Jim and Alex Scott.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2024, 06:57 PM
The Baker Boys surely ����

Ah The Fabulous Baker Boys !

Joe Baker once scored 9 goals for Hibs against Peebles Rovers in the Scottish Cup but he couldn’t top his big brother Gerry who scored 10 goals against Glasgow University for St Mirren and went on to win the Scottish Cup

ancient hibee
07-01-2024, 08:37 PM
Ah The Fabulous Baker Boys !

Joe Baker once scored 9 goals for Hibs against Peebles Rovers in the Scottish Cup but he couldn’t top his big brother Gerry who scored 10 goals against Glasgow University for St Mirren and went onto win the Scottish Cup

Joe missed a penalty that day.

More remarkable was that Willie Ormond scored a right foot rasper.Alleged by some that it was the first time he’d kicked a ball with his right.

HoboHarry
08-01-2024, 02:17 AM
Bryan Gunn did play for us for a while. We also had Alex Cropley and his son Jordan though I don't think Jordan played for the first team in a competitive match, at least as far as I remember.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2024, 04:46 AM
His Son scored two late goals at the PBS earning a 2-2 mid 80s( 2 crackers to boot:)

In the days before blanket tv coverage Wi-Fi and mobile phones I could not for the life of me convince my mates who had left early for the pub that Super Joe had scored two late crackers to make it 2-2

Hibs had played poorly for most of the match and were dicing with relegation IIRC

Forza Fred
08-01-2024, 05:16 AM

Remember that game…think it was the September weekend and most of my mates were down in Blackpool.

Luckily I stayed behind for the match.

Gettin' Auld
08-01-2024, 07:56 AM
44 goals in 67 games
Scored a couple of hat-tricks in European games too. Lokomotiv Leipzig and Malmo if i remember right, there might be more.

weecounty hibby
08-01-2024, 08:39 AM
I know it's rugby but can you imagine being Kane Barret when at the family dinner table. Although a very good rugby player himself he is the only one of the 4 brothers not to be an All Black. Beauden, Scott and Jordie all current ABs. Kane must be a huge disappointment to his parents!!

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2024, 08:54 AM
Scored a couple of hat-tricks in European games too. Lokomotiv Leipzig and Malmo if i remember right, there might be more.

He also scored hat-tricks against Morton Partick Thistle and St Johnstone

He was a fantastic player and made us forget all about Colin Stein

In his first season Joe scored an incredible 24 goals from 28 appearances

In total he scored 58 goals in 91 appearances

He was sold to Dunfermline Athletic for 3k because he refused to move through to Edinburgh from his home in Glasgow and helped save them from relegation scoring 12 goals in 28 matches

Chorley Hibee
08-01-2024, 09:09 AM
Was there not two of Miller’s sons on the books, Graham and Greg?

I do remember Greg scrambling a late equaliser in quite a big game at ER, was it the derby or maybe Aberdeen?

Scottish Cup tie against Aberdeen.

Gettin' Auld
08-01-2024, 02:45 PM
He also scored hat-tricks against Morton Partick Thistle and St Johnstone

He was a fantastic player and made us forget all about Colin Stein

In his first season Joe scored an incredible 24 goals from 28 appearances

In total he scored 58 goals in 91 appearances

He was sold to Dunfermline Athletic for 3k because he refused to move through to Edinburgh from his home in Glasgow and helped save them from relegation scoring 12 goals in 28 matches
:aok:

Scored 8 goals in his first three games for us too. He certainly knew where the goals were.

silverhibee
08-01-2024, 04:28 PM

Derek Riordan and his son who is about to join the Hibs youth set up, I will say he will be better than his dad.

scoopyboy
08-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Derek Riordan and his son who is about to join the Hibs youth set up, I will say he will be better than his dad.

What age is the laddie Silv?

heidtheba
08-01-2024, 05:42 PM
Jackie McNamara Sr was before my time, but would people on here say his son was a better footballer?

erin go bragh
08-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Well here is one that is very controversial.
I once worked in Pat Stantons mother's home, Bea, who was a lovely lady.
when i was talking away with her, telling her i am a massive Hibs fan and Pat is a living Legend. She turned around and said Pat wasn't the best footballer out of her sons. It was Robert, Pats older brother, who emigrated to South Africa.

CropleyWasGod
08-01-2024, 06:08 PM
Jackie McNamara Sr was before my time, but would people on here say his son was a better footballer?

It's that old chestnut of comparing eras again.

My bias says that Junior couldn't lace Senior's boots, but he did play for Scotland 33 times. :greengrin In his defence, Jackie snr played at a time when Scotland were blessed with a lot of excellent players in his position.

Hibiza
08-01-2024, 06:57 PM
Gary & Simon Murray

Hibiza
08-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Jackie senior was just sublime.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2024, 07:14 PM
Jackie Senior got off to a difficult start as he arrived injured from Celtic in a swap for club legend Pat Stanton but he soon won the boo boys over with his reading of the game his intelligent play and his tough hard but fair no nonsense tackling

He also built up a good partnership as sweeper to George Stewart and made a lifetime pal in teammate and business partner Ralph Callachan

My heart tells me Jackie Snr was the better player but looking at their individual records it has to be Jackie Jnr who I always thought would end up at Hibs

They were two totally different types of player Junior being more energetic and box to box in midfield or a wing back

I remember at the 2001 Scottish Cup Final an injury hit Hibs side minus Latapy were holding their own and Celtic made a change halfway through the first half brought on Jackie Junior who ripped as a new one scoring and adding an assist

I have met Jackie Snr a few times and safe to say he loves our club

Cat Stanton
09-01-2024, 02:40 PM
Well here is one that is very controversial.
I once worked in Pat Stantons mother's home, Bea, who was a lovely lady.
when i was talking away with her, telling her i am a massive Hibs fan and Pat is a living Legend. She turned around and said Pat wasn't the best footballer out of her sons. It was Robert, Pats older brother, who emigrated to South Africa.

Oof!

Did he play professionally, do you know? Can't see anything obvious from a google.

ancient hibee
09-01-2024, 02:42 PM
Oof!

Did he play professionally, do you know? Can't see anything obvious from a google.

Favourite son?:greengrin

Saint Hibee
09-01-2024, 05:25 PM
Won’t be long before we can field an entire 11 of Sparky’s children.

erin go bragh
09-01-2024, 07:24 PM
Oof!

She said he stopped playing after emigrating, to concentrate on his business.

JimBHibees
11-01-2024, 06:18 AM

Wow hope so :aok:

silverhibee
14-01-2024, 01:27 PM
What age is the laddie Silv?

He is only 9 Scoops, but got a good number of clubs wanting to take him on to there youth system, left footer but already comfortable using both feet, and can ping it like his dad.

HH81
14-01-2024, 01:38 PM
He is only 9 Scoops, but got a good number of clubs wanting to take him on to there youth system, left footer but already comfortable using both feet, and can ping it like his dad.

Sounds promising Silver. Let's hope he keeps improving and turns out for hibs one day.