PDA

View Full Version : Megwa

HIBS NUTS
04-01-2024, 08:05 AM
After 13 outstanding performances for Airdrie at right back, he’s been recalled to go back to hibs for the winter training camp.
He’s won 2 player of the month awards, and Airdrie fans are sorry to lose him.
This is not official yet.😀

Juice-Terry
04-01-2024, 08:10 AM
After 13 outstanding performances for Airdrie at right back, he’s been recalled to go back to hibs for the winter training camp.
I really like the look of this lad. Hope he forces his way into Hibs starting XI very soon.

Pretty Boy
04-01-2024, 08:24 AM
No brainer if Miller is going to be missing for a bit.

When you go on loan to League One from Hibs then you need to be a stand out and he has been exactly that. See also Josh Doig at Queen's Park.

Real chance for him to stake a claim now as there is every chance he will get minutes. After a shaky start v Raith Rovers in the cup he came on to a game that day.

CapitalGreen
04-01-2024, 08:30 AM

When you go on loan to League One from Hibs then you need to be a stand out and he has been exactly that. See also Josh Doig at Queen's Park.

Real chance for him to stake a claim now as there is every chance he will get minutes. After a shaky start v Raith Rovers in the cup he came on to a game that day.

Airdrie are in the Championship so even more impressive.

scoopyboy
04-01-2024, 08:30 AM

PB, it's the Championship he's been playing in, Airdrie currently sitting fourth and in play off position.

GreenCastle
04-01-2024, 08:33 AM
Could we have recalled him before Motherwell game? If so not sure why we didn't ?

Pretty Boy
04-01-2024, 08:35 AM
Airdrie are in the Championship so even more impressive.

PB, it's the Championship he's been playing in, Airdrie currently sitting fourth and in play off position.

So it is. Total mind blank from me.

I've been at a league game he played in as well which makes my post even dafter:doh:

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 09:32 AM
Could we have recalled him before Motherwell game? If so not sure why we didn't ?

Exactly. He should have been starting at the weekend, poor error of judgment again.

Baader
04-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Sounds like he's ready. With Miller out, looking for him to get in ahead of Whittaker as our right back.

oneone73
04-01-2024, 09:47 AM
Shame he's cup-tied.

ancient hibee
04-01-2024, 09:51 AM
Exactly. He should have been starting at the weekend, poor error of judgment again.

You know the dates of the loan arrangement of course. Or is it just another chance for your never ending digs at the club.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2024, 10:38 AM

Or we went with the player that had actually played under Monty in the last 3 months.

FWIW Whittaker should be sent the other way to Airdrie for the remainder of the season.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 10:53 AM
You know the dates of the loan arrangement of course. Or is it just another chance for your never ending digs at the club.

It's hard not to make digs at the club just now tbh, it seems no one has a clue what they are doing.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 10:54 AM
Or we went with the player that had actually played under Monty in the last 3 months.

FWIW Whittaker should be sent the other way to Airdrie for the remainder of the season.

Totally agree with that. Straight swap.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 10:55 AM

Agree re Whittaker. If we’re bringing Megwa back then there’s little need for him here.

Tambo
04-01-2024, 10:58 AM
Good to hear after some very good reviews, I wonder about O'Connor? who has not exactly been ripping up the championship like his dad said last year on the hot wings challenge.

Onceinawhile
04-01-2024, 11:22 AM
Good to hear after some very good reviews, I wonder about O'Connor? who has not exactly been ripping up the championship like his dad said last year on the hot wings challenge.

Seemed to start well in the league Cup, but only gets about 5 minutes here and there now.

As for megwa, with cadden back soon and Miller not kissing that many games - would he not be better staying out?

Smartie
04-01-2024, 11:29 AM
Are Airdrie full time?

Will Megwa be training with us or them or both?

Johnny_Leith
04-01-2024, 12:00 PM
Airdrie have 2 fixtures before our next one, assuming he's going to be in the team then if he's being recalled now and going to the camp. Good luck to him, hope he makes a positive impression!

Iain G
04-01-2024, 12:02 PM
It's hard not to make digs at the club just now tbh, it seems no one has a clue what they are doing.

Which people don't know what they are doing?

SickBoy32
04-01-2024, 12:07 PM

Ian Gordon, but particularly Ben Kensell IMO

Should add - very much looking forward to seeing Megwa getting a chance

Lago
04-01-2024, 12:11 PM
So your having a dig for digs sake, sad.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 12:36 PM

Jury is still out on Kensall, McDermott, Montgomery, Ian Gordon, pretty much every senior figure at the club. They've got a lot right off the park since the Gordon's have come in, but on the park, miles off it.

That's just the truth of it, I'd be surprised if anyone is overly convinced by the job any of those are doing, we want to have faith in them, but right now it's blind faith.

Some of the decisions being made just now are mad, Delferierre new contract for example, what's the point? We need a clear of the decks with quality coming in if we are to progress. Anyone that can't make a claim for a starting slot should be free to leave, not offered new deals.

It just feels like a never ending cycle of the same crap for the last few years and it's difficult to see it changing for the better anytime in the near future, but we live in hope, I hope by the end of January we are in a much better place and we can kick on and have a strong end to the season but that's all any of us can do right now and that's hope rather than expect.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 12:46 PM

O’Connor will end up a part time footballer imo. He’s nowhere near the standard required for top tier football.

Smartie
04-01-2024, 12:47 PM
Jury is still out on Kensall, McDermott, Montgomery, Ian Gordon, pretty much every senior figure at the club. They've got a lot right off the park since the Gordon's have come in, but on the park, miles off it.

That's just the truth of it, I'd be surprised if anyone is overly convinced by the job any of those are doing, we want to have faith in them, but right now it's blind faith.

Some of the decisions being made just now are mad, Delferierre new contract for example, what's the point? We need a clear of the decks with quality coming in if we are to progress. Anyone that can't make a claim for a starting slot should be free to leave, not offered new deals.

It just feels like a never ending cycle of the same crap for the last few years and it's difficult to see it changing for the better anytime in the near future, but we live in hope, I hope by the end of January we are in a much better place and we can kick on and have a strong end to the season but that's all any of us can do right now and that's hope rather than expect.

I think you're spot on here.

Being fair, those at the top should absolutely be applauded for their off park efforts in raising revenue which can only be expected to improve the on field performance.

The on field performance hasn't been improving though and anyone who is responsible shouldn't be immune to criticism. Sadly we only ever seem to fall back on the default option which is to pin it all on the manager but there are more than a few people who need to be taking some sort of responsibility if we don't see the direction of the team moving in a better direction in the near future.

It feels aimless, reactionary and a bit pish rather than planned and executed towards an end goal.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 12:50 PM

Being fair, those at the top should absolutely be applauded for their off park efforts in raising revenue which can only be expected to improve the on field performance.

The on field performance hasn't been improving though and anyone who is responsible shouldn't be immune to criticism. Sadly we only ever seem to fall back on the default option which is to pin it all on the manager but there are more than a few people who need to be taking some sort of responsibility if we don't see the direction of the team moving in a better direction in the near future.

It feels aimless, reactionary and a bit pish rather than planned and executed towards an end goal.

Agree with your last paragraph. I have absolutely no idea what those leading the club are hoping to achieve. There’s no obvious direction in terms of the football side of things.

There was a claim we wanted to be best of the rest I’m sure, how did we plan on getting there? If there wasn’t an actual plan to do it other than raising revenue then it was nothing but a completely empty statement.

RMQ1967
04-01-2024, 12:55 PM

So no-one has a clue what they're doing but we've managed to attract a billionaire who wants to invest millions into the club? No-one has a clue what they're doing but the stadium (inside & out) & pitch have never looked better :hmmm:

No-one has a clue what they're doing but we have one of the best training facilities in Scotland - soon to be the best bar none?

No-one has a clue what they're doing but our commercial operations are turning over more than they every have :hmmm:

We all want a winning team today but I'd suggest, like many on here, you don't have a clue what your talking about :blah:

greenlex
04-01-2024, 01:01 PM

Theres a change of tack after trying to buy up upcoming talent rather than team ready players supplemented by home grown . That has been acknowledged and project players will be less than the amount we recruited going forward..Unfortunately it won’t happen overnight and will take a few windows.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 01:01 PM
So no-one has a clue what they're doing but we've managed to attract a billionaire who wants to invest millions into the club? No-one has a clue what they're doing but the stadium (inside & out) & pitch have never looked better :hmmm:

No-one has a clue what they're doing but we have one of the best training facilities in Scotland - soon to be the best bar none?

No-one has a clue what they're doing but our commercial operations are turning over more than they every have :hmmm:

We all want a winning team today but I'd suggest, like many on here, you don't have a clue what your talking about :blah:

Did you just completely miss the part where the poster said “they’ve got a lot right off the park” before rattling off stuff they’ve got right off the park?

greenlex
04-01-2024, 01:02 PM

You say the jury’s out but judging by your posts I think you’ve decided.

JohnM1875
04-01-2024, 01:06 PM

You’ve completely missed the point of the post to be fair. The poster you quoted definitely has a point.

Brooster
04-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Great news, Megwa is way ahead of Whittaker in my opinion and when you see Stevenson coming on and struggling at RB it makes sense to have this lad back

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 01:27 PM
I've heard from as strong a source as you can get other than Megwa himself probably that nothing has been decided yet, Airdrie very much hoping to keep Megwa, doesn't think Hibs are that fussed to have him back as of yet. Obviously might Change.

RMQ1967
04-01-2024, 03:08 PM

Agree with your last paragraph. I have absolutely no idea what those leading the club are hoping to achieve. There’s no obvious direction in terms of the football side of things.

There was a claim we wanted to be best of the rest I’m sure, how did we plan on getting there? If there wasn’t an actual plan to do it other than raising revenue then it was nothing but a completely empty statement.

Did you just completely miss the part where the poster said “they’ve got a lot right off the park” before rattling off stuff they’ve got right off the park?

I didn't miss the statements suggesting no-one at the club has any idea what they're doing.

It's unfortunate that they didn't pull you and JD in to advise them how to run things :aok:

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 03:18 PM
You say the jury’s out but judging by your posts I think you’ve decided.

‘The jury’s out’ is an expression thats always yanked my chain. It is used to express the poster’s doubt about a thing or a person, but the use of the word ‘jury’ suggests that a) the speaker has some kind of power to influence the world, hence they are on a jury, so its arrogant in that respect b) it gives the false suggestion that the speaker isnt just speaking for himself, lots of other people on the jury agree with him c) theres no idea as to when this imaginary jury is going to return with a verdict, so the speaker gets to decide when the accused gets to prove his ‘innocence’ from the criticism.

…plus i keep hearing it from Sportscene nobs and Open all mics blowhards. And surely noone wants to sound like that.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 03:19 PM
I've heard from as strong a source as you can get other than Megwa himself probably that nothing has been decided yet, Airdrie very much hoping to keep Megwa, doesn't think Hibs are that fussed to have him back as of yet. Obviously might Change.

Wouldn’t surprise me with this. Maybe want to take him away for the week or, may just miss one Airdrie game. Gives NM a chance to access him

Does Megwa train full time with Airdrie. Wouldn’t have thought they could afford too many full timers

May21/05/16
04-01-2024, 03:22 PM
I didn't miss the statements suggesting no-one at the club has any idea what they're doing.

It's unfortunate that they didn't pull you and JD in to advise them how to run things :aok:Agree with your comments

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 03:36 PM
Wouldn’t surprise me with this. Maybe want to take him away for the week or, may just miss one Airdrie game. Gives NM a chance to access him

Does Megwa train full time with Airdrie. Wouldn’t have thought they could afford too many full timers

Not 100% sure, I just got told they don't think Hibs are too fussed about having Megwa back, Airdrie manager rates him very highly though and wants to keep him. Said he's the real deal. I did say I'd be surprised if Monty doesn't at least give him a chance though. Most of the senior players rate Megwa highly and think he has the best chance of making it, strange one.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 03:43 PM

It's unfortunate that they didn't pull you and JD in to advise them how to run things :aok:

You didn’t miss them? They don’t exist, JD acknowledged, very clearly, that they’ve done well off the field. You’re still ignoring the fact that it’s been acknowledged they’ve done very well at aspects of running the club :faf:

You’re also ignoring the fact I said I personally don’t have any idea what they’re hoping to achieve. I never at any point said they didn’t know. Do you actually read posts? Or do you just get yourself all excited and start slapping your keyboard?

You’ve had an absolute mair, again. It’s easy to try and make a point if you ignore numerous parts of a post as if they aren’t there.

Lago
04-01-2024, 03:46 PM
You’re still ignoring the fact that it’s been acknowledged they’ve done very well at aspects of running the club :faf:
Yeah but maybe your football expertise could be used to enhance the football side of things:faf:

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 03:48 PM
Yeah but maybe your football expertise could be used to enhance the football side of things:faf:

Funnily enough, I’m not paid 6 figures a year to do that :aok:

SickBoy32
04-01-2024, 03:49 PM

Honestly don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that some fans would've made better signings than what we've seen since the Gordon's moneyball machine rolled into town

The football side of the club has just been one **** up to the next since the summer we finished 3rd

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 03:53 PM
You’re still ignoring the fact that it’s been acknowledged they’ve done very well at aspects of running the club :faf:

Its easy to start a post with ‘i acknowledge there are positives, but’, and then go on to list loads of negatives. Thats not really an acknowledgment that theres some grey areas, its just a massively negative post with 6 words at the start ending in ‘but’ to make a POV look balanced. I read loads of posts like that on here. And just because you tell a poster hes having ‘a mare’ doesnt make it so. Same with the sarcastic laughing emoji.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 03:53 PM
Funnily enough, I’m not paid 6 figures a year to do that :aok:
There’s probably a reason for that. :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 03:54 PM
Its easy to start a post with ‘i acknowledge there are positives, but’, and then go on to list loads of negatives. Thats not really an acknowledgment that theres some grey areas, its just a massively negative post with 6 words at the start ending in ‘but’ to make a POV look balanced. I read loads of posts like that on here.

It’s easy to do that because they’re pretty fair points that JD has made. Our recruitment/football side of things has been poor.

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 03:57 PM
It’s easy to do that because they’re pretty fair points that JD has made. Our recruitment/football side of things has been poor.

Fine, thats his POV, and yours. That doesn’t mean its somehow out of order for someone else to call it out as overly negative.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 03:58 PM
Its easy to start a post with ‘i acknowledge there are positives, but’, and then go on to list loads of negatives. Thats not really an acknowledgment that theres some grey areas, its just a massively negative post with 6 words at the start ending in ‘but’ to make a POV look balanced. I read loads of posts like that on here. And just because you tell a poster hes having ‘a mare’ doesnt make it so. Same with the sarcastic laughing emoji.

I don't understand that, I was asked who's not doing their jobs properly or who doesn't have a clue..so I've answered imo constructively, I've pointed out that I appreciate there is aspects away from the park that's been done soundly, from a business point of view..increased revenue, upgrades to the stadium including hospitality and the pitch which is a massive difference for example. There is a lot of good, but for us fans the bread and butter is what's playing on the park, and for the last few years it's been nowhere near up to the standards required, so there is people failing to do their job properly, surely, Ian Gordon was head of recruitment which was bizarre in itself. There is and has been a lot of mistakes at the club recently which is hindering us.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 04:00 PM
Fine, thats his POV, and yours. That doesn’t mean its somehow out of order for someone else to call it out as overly negative.

That’s not what they’ve done though. They’ve literally listed all the kind of things that JD acknowledged they’ve done well, such as the commercial stuff, and went on a rant about how JD is claiming they’re crap at it, despite the fact JD acknowledged they were doing it well.

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:01 PM
Anyhoo! Moving on...

I'd probably be inclined to leave Megwa where he is unless NM see's him playing a key role going forward. It's better for the lads development which is better for us in the long run. It can't all be short term fixes, especially not when you're playing with a young lads career.

andrew70
04-01-2024, 04:02 PM
I don't understand that, I was asked who's not doing their jobs..so I've answered imo constructively, I've pointed out that I appreciate there is aspects away from the park that's been done soundly, from a business point of view..increased revenue, upgrades to the stadium including hospitality and the pitch which is a massive difference for example. There is a lot of good, but for us fans the bread and butter is what's playing on the park, and for the last few years it's been nowhere near up to the standards required, so there is people failing to do their job properly, surely.

Aye there is, the players. And it’s players, in the main, who have been here for an age and seen off varying managers.

Hibs are a very well run club. Gordon family and Kensell are doing the right things arrested by players on long term deals given out by previous managers.

hibsbollah
I don't understand that, I was asked who's not doing their jobs..so I've answered imo constructively, I've pointed out that I appreciate there is aspects away from the park that's been done soundly, from a business point of view..increased revenue, upgrades to the stadium including hospitality and the pitch which is a massive difference for example. There is a lot of good, but for us fans the bread and butter is what's playing on the park, and for the last few years it's been nowhere near up to the standards required, so there is people failing to do their job properly, surely.

You also said ‘it just seems like no-one at the club has a clue what theyre doing’. No-one? Not a clue?! Really?!End of post. I cant speak for others but thats what i personally thought went too far.

Its a Megwa thread, which judging by reviews coming from Airdrie is a rich seam of postivity,im sure.

Centre Hawf

Considering it’s been a bit of a shambles on the park for close to 3 years now I don’t think the criticism is unfair.

Iain G
04-01-2024, 04:04 PM
You didn’t miss them? They don’t exist, JD acknowledged, very clearly, that they’ve done well off the field. You’re still ignoring the fact that it’s been acknowledged they’ve done very well at aspects of running the club :faf:

You’re also ignoring the fact I said I personally don’t have any idea what they’re hoping to achieve. I never at any point said they didn’t know. Do you actually read posts? Or do you just get yourself all excited and start slapping your keyboard?

You’ve had an absolute mair, again. It’s easy to try and make a point if you ignore numerous parts of a post as if they aren’t there.

Guess you missed...and I quote from JD:

"It's hard not to make digs at the club just now tbh, it seems no one has a clue what they are doing."

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 04:05 PM
Aye there is, the players. And it’s players, in the main, who have been here for an age and seen off varying managers.

Hibs are a very well run club. Gordon family and Kensell are doing the right things arrested by players on long term deals given out by previous managers.

Someone is signing these players though, even the ones that have came in recently haven't been up to it. That's what I'm saying it's not just one person you can blame, it's not just Monty, Johnson, Maloney, Kensall, McDermott, the Gordon's, it's a collective. We've brought in McDermott to try and fix the issues in recruitment but he's not done that.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 04:07 PM
Guess you missed...and I quote from JD:

"It's hard not to make digs at the club just now tbh, it seems no one has a clue what they are doing."

I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that doesn’t include the areas that they’ve already acknowledged they’re doing well and is in relation to the areas they’ve criticised. JD will maybe learn to really spell things out in the most basic terms in future, it would appear some would need it.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 04:08 PM
Someone is signing these players though, even the ones that have came in recently haven't been up to it. That's what I'm saying it's not just one person you can blame, it's not just Monty, Johnson, Maloney, Kensall, McDermott, the Gordon's, it's a collective. We've brought in McDermott to try and fix the issues in recruitment but he's not done that.
Who have we brought in since McDermott was brought in that has failed? Could you also balance that with any successes?

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:10 PM

Jeezo mate, give the guy a chance. I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but it's important to remember that no one is doing their job badly on purpose. I think the Foley investment (assuming it comes off) is an admission that we need more. We're very much a work in progress at the moment.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 04:10 PM
Who have we brought in since McDermott was brought in that has failed? Could you also balance that with any successes?

The summer was his first window, wasn’t it? We signed 9 players and I think you’d be hard pushed to call any of them a success at this point in time other than possibly Youan and Fish who were both already here. Got to hope we have a more successful window this month.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 04:11 PM
The summer was his first window, wasn’t it? We signed 9 players and I think you’d be hard pushed to call any of them a success at this point in time other than possibly Youan and Fish who were both already here. Got to hope we have a more successful window this month.
What 9? My point is he’s been here since May and JD is calling him out as a failure after one window of wheeling and dealing.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 04:11 PM

So McDermott was into the club in may last year. So anyone brought in during the summer?

Wollacott
Boruc
Le Fondre
Harbottle
Obita
Vente
Levitt

How many have been brilliant for us?
How many would you not be fussed if they left today?
You make your own mind up?

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 04:13 PM
What 9?

Wollacott
Boruc
Vente
Youan
Levitt
ALF
Obita
Harbottle
Fish

Obita could potentially go into the success category to be fair, but that would be the only 1 out of the 7 that weren’t here previously.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 04:15 PM
Jeezo mate, give the guy a chance. I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but it's important to remember that no one is doing their job badly on purpose. I think the Foley investment (assuming it comes off) is an admission that we need more. We're very much a work in progress at the moment.

Totally agree, we are doing things to correct previous mistakes, like ian Gordon in charge of recruitment, appointing McDermott is trying to fix that,. Sacking Maloney was another indicator they knew they'd got it wrong early, I don't think anyone is wishing bad for the club. It's all been a learning process for these guys, the development squad etc, signing players with potential, but it's left us with loads of guys that aren't good enough. The ideas are there, the execution a lot of the time hasn't been.

andrew70
04-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Wollacott
Boruc
Vente
Youan
Levitt
ALF
Obita
Harbottle
Fish

Obita could potentially go into the success category to be fair, but that would be the only 1 out of the 7 that weren’t here previously.

Wollacott was 100% an LJ signing.

The rest have all been decent in spells minus Harbottle who has been jettisoned by Montgomery.

The standard of signing has improved under McDermott no doubt about it.

Unfortunately though for whatever reason we’ve not addressed LCB and CM in our signings and that’s where I think we’ll focus this month.

McDermott, though, has been a success.

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:17 PM
So McDermott was into the club in may last year. So anyone brought in during the summer?

Wollacott
Boruc
Le Fondre
Harbottle
Obita
Vente
Levitt

How many were bought as prospects/back up, and how many were bought to go straight into the first team?

hibeerealist
04-01-2024, 04:18 PM

The most important person at a football club is the manager, we have appointed poorly in that dept in the last couple of years or so. Jock Stein, Shankly and their ilk prove that to be a pretty strong statement, this has cost us dearly.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 04:19 PM
How many were bought as prospects/back up, and how many were bought to go straight into the first team?

So why weren't we signing players to go straight into the team when that's what was needed? We keep hearing summer is the time to do it? We don't need backups we need the guys we've got to turn into the backups that's how you progress?
We spent a right few quid in the summer, none more so than the money on Levitt and Vente, we haven't had our moneys worth as of yet.

Wollacott, Vente, Levitt and Obita were brought in as starters. Obita is the only one just to get pass marks so far imo. Hopefully he can stay fit as he has had a couple of injury's already.
Le Fondre would have done a job if he could have stayed fit but at his age an injury was inevitable.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 04:22 PM

Wollacott
Boruc
Le Fondre
Harbottle
Obita
Vente
Levitt

So after one window
Wollocot. International keeper who ended up injured for the most part.
boruc. Project keeper.
Le Fondre. Success but currently injured.
Harbottle. Project CB
Obita. Decent left back and regular starter and currently balancing the left side nicely behind Jair success
Vente. Obvious quality currently being asked to do the Le Fondre type roll. Bit early but certainly not a failure
Levitt. Again obvious quality perhaps struggling a wee bit but again injury mitigating. Again early but not a failure

To say McDermott isn’t doing a job is IMO well wide of the mark. He came in and had to assess what might be required in the space of a few months and then get the players over the line.

andrew70
The most important person at a football club is the manager, we have appointed poorly in that dept in the last couple of years or so. Jock Stein, Shankly and their ilk prove that to be a pretty strong statement, this has cost us dearly.

I agree but we’ve got a good one now so we move forward together.

Smartie
It’s hard to know what to make of the summer transfer window because we signed a bunch of players who look on paper (and in flashes on grass) to be acceptable players but in changing manager 3 weeks into the season (and before the window was closed) we’ve ended up with a manager who uses these players very differently to how the previous manager presumably intended.

Not blaming the incoming manager btw but the sooner we make the signings consistent with a manager’s vision, the sooner we’ll start to improve, hopefully starting this month.

Stubbsy90+2
Wollacott was 100% an LJ signing.

The rest have all been decent in spells minus Harbottle who has been jettisoned by Montgomery.

The standard of signing has improved under McDermott no doubt about it.

Unfortunately though for whatever reason we’ve not addressed LCB and CM in our signings and that’s where I think we’ll focus this month.

McDermott, though, has been a success.

I’ve no idea who signed Wollacott.

Has the standard of signing improved? If we take out Wollacott because that wasn’t him and take out Fish and Youan as he didn’t identify them, can a list of Boruc, Vente, Levitt, ALF, Obita, Harbottle really be looked upon as an improvement/success? Boruc and Harbottle never play, Vente and Levitt haven’t offered nearly enough, ALF is 37 and predictably spent a lot of time unavailable and Obita has been decent.

It’s early days in his tenure, but to suggest he’s been a success or that his signings have been an improvement is fanciful imo.

andrew70
So after one window
Wollocot. International keeper who ended up injured for the most part.
boruc. Project keeper.
Le Fondre. Success but currently injured.
Harbottle. Project CB
Obita. Decent left back and regular starter and currently balancing the left side nicely behind Jair success
Vente. Obvious quality currently being asked to do the Le Fondre type roll. But early but certainly not a failure
Levitt. Again obvious quality perhaps struggling a wee bit but again injury mitigating. Again early but not a failure

To say McDermott isn’t doing a job is IMO well wide of the mark. He came in and had to assess what might be required in the space of a few months and then get the players over the line.

100% mate. Some just like to bash the club in the hope they can say I told you so

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 04:25 PM
Megwa has great hair.

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:26 PM
So why weren't we signing players to go straight into the team when that's what was needed? We keep hearing summer is the time to do it? We don't need backups we need the guys we've got to turn into the backups that's how you progress?

Wollacott, Vente, Levitt and Obita were brought in as starters. Obita is the only one just to get pass marks so far imo. Hopefully he can stay fit as he has had a couple of injury's already.

No argument from me on the first team players bit. I'm not sure we can judge some of the players just yet. Wollacott is the one I would say has been an outright fail. He's looked nervous as a kitten in his rare appearances, a bit out of his depth. Vente, Levitt and Obita have all contributed but...let's not get into the tactics again... let's just say they may show more in a different set up. Harbottle was also a project, so I'd remove him.

What's probably more important is what money we are paying them. Two or three players on 1/2k a week under-performing is manageable, two or three players on 5/6k a week not delivering is a much bigger problem. We're also suffering badly from having too many players we're paying who we can't shift. That's one of our biggest issues imo.

JohnM1875
04-01-2024, 04:27 PM
From the little I’ve seen of both players Megwa looks the better option and more ready for week to week first team football. To be fair that’s probably because Whittaker is so young at 16. Megwa is 20 in a few months.

Think if we were going to recall him it would’ve been done by now. Anyone know when we’re away to Dubai, I think it is?

Chipper1875
04-01-2024, 04:32 PM
Wollacott
Boruc
Vente
Youan
Levitt
ALF
Obita
Harbottle
Fish

Quick look at the league table at this stage in 2023, broadly same points total as at Jan 2024. Based on there is no real improvement, ld suggest the signings haven’t been good enough. Pleased we got fish and youhan but l don’t believe they have reached last season’s levels.

I judge players in terms of what they deliver on the park and points achieved. Player recruitment and performances need to improve. As do the managers we appoint

Bridge hibs
04-01-2024, 04:41 PM
We spent a right few quid in the summer, none more so than the money on Levitt and Vente, we haven't had our moneys worth as of yet.

Le Fondre would have done a job if he could have stayed fit but at his age an injury was inevitable.If I remember correctly Wollacott was brought in to challenge Marshall for the gloves, he picked up an injury and hasn't really had a chance. Boruc was signed as a back up keeper and didn't look out of place when he stepped between the sticks, particularly as he has very limited, if any previous first team experience

Harbottle appeared to be a decent acquisition who could have challenged for one of the centre half spots but after a mare at right back he appeared to disappear from the scene under Johnson and doesn't seem to be in Montys plans

Le Fondre was most likely signed as back up striker as probably wouldnt be expected to play for 90 mins most weeks, although in seeing him he looks fit as **** and in better shape than a few seasoned pros that are jumping around the leagues, oh and his injury, did that occur during a game as I honestly cant remember ?

Vente got off to a decent start but his goals have dried up as has been discussed on multiple threads as to which the reasons are. He however is another very clever player and used properly I think he would bag goals

Levit is the one who has yet to start, came to us unfit as didn't have a pre season with Dundee Utd and thereafter was injured and never got up to speed. I have seen flashes of what he can do but we are not seeing enough of it

Obita seems to be an adequate signing, perhaps a slow start, steady enough player

Out of those signings, no superstars but most decent and should be able to compete and perform at this level however Montgomery may want to ship one or two out to freshen things up

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 04:43 PM
If I remember correctly Wollacott was brought in to challenge Marshall for the gloves, he picked up an injury and hasn't really had a chance. Boruc was signed as a back up keeper and didn't look out of place when he stepped between the sticks, particularly as he has very limited, if any previous first team experience

Harbottle appeared to be a decent acquisition who could have challenged for one of the centre half spots but after a mare at right back he appeared to disappear from the scene under Johnson and doesn't seem to be in Montys plans

Le Fondre was most likely signed as back up striker as probably wouldnt be expected to play for 90 mins most weeks, although in seeing him he looks fit as **** and in better shape than a few seasoned pros that are jumping around the leagues, oh and his injury, did that occur during a game as I honestly cant remember ?

Vente got off to a decent start but his goals have dried up as has been discussed on multiple threads as to which the reasons are. He however is another very clever player and used properly I think he would bag goals

Levit is the one who has yet to start, came to us unfit as didn't have a pre season with Dundee Utd and thereafter was injured and never got up to speed. I have seen flashes of what he can do but we are not seeing enough of it

Out of those signings, no superstars but most decent and should be able to compete and perform at this level however Montgomery may want to ship one or two out to freshen things up

I have to say, thats a really accurate and fair assessment of all of them. Excellent post.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 04:44 PM
No argument from me on the first team players bit. I'm not sure we can judge some of the players just yet. Wollacott is the one I would say has been an outright fail. He's looked nervous as a kitten in his rare appearances, a bit out of his depth. Vente, Levitt and Obita have all contributed but...let's not get into the tactics again... let's just say they may show more in a different set up. Harbottle was also a project, so I'd remove him.

What's probably more important is what money we are paying them. Two or three players on 1/2k a week under-performing is manageable, two or three players on 5/6k a week not delivering is a much bigger problem. We're also suffering badly from having too many players we're paying who we can't shift. That's one of our biggest issues imo.

Harbottle at 23 and 24 on his next birthday is not a project
At his age he has to be playing every week and he hasn’t, so if the club don’t rate him move him on.

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:48 PM
At his age he has to be playing every week and he hasn’t, so if the club don’t rate him move him on.

Ah, fair play, I didn't realise he was that old. I doubt he's on much of a wage so wouldn't say it's a damaging signing.

Bridge hibs
04-01-2024, 04:51 PM
I have to say, thats a really accurate and fair assessment of all of them. Excellent post.

Cheers bud, you were too quick, Ive edited my post as I forgot about Obita 👍

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 04:52 PM
Ah, fair play, I didn't realise he was that old. I doubt he's on much of a wage so wouldn't say it's a damaging signing.

I’m not having a go at him specifically, just pointing out that it’s been player bingo since Mathie left

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 04:55 PM
I’m not having a go at him specifically, just pointing out that it’s been player bingo since Mathie left

Yup, and that is due, mainly imo, to the managerial bingo we've been playing. Other factors at play but no chance of hitting a consistent signing policy with so many managers going through the door.

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 05:00 PM
Cheers bud, you were too quick, Ive edited my post as I forgot about Obita 👍

Youve spoiled it now, i rate Obita more than you do :greengrin

Gmack7
04-01-2024, 05:01 PM

I've no idea what his salary will be but we did sign him from Nottingham forest, I would imagine he'll be on decent money.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 05:05 PM
True but he wasnt brought in to be a starter.

Bridge hibs
04-01-2024, 05:06 PM
Youve spoiled it now, i rate Obita more than you do :greengrinBooooo 😄

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 05:14 PM
I've no idea what his salary will be but we did sign him from Nottingham forest, I would imagine he'll be on decent money.

Well, kind of from Notts Forest. He'd been playing at Wealdstone and Mansfield Town prior to signing for us.

Iain G
04-01-2024, 05:18 PM
I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that doesn’t include the areas that they’ve already acknowledged they’re doing well and is in relation to the areas they’ve criticised. JD will maybe learn to really spell things out in the most basic terms in future, it would appear some would need it.

You can't admit you were wrong in what you posted can you? You called out and took the piss out another poster for this and you were the one in the wrong.

Bridge hibs
04-01-2024, 05:50 PM
Well, kind of from Notts Forest. He'd been playing at Wealdstone and Mansfield Town prior to signing for us.

Wealdstone and Mansfield were part of his development and Clough helped him with that at Mansfield and was quoted as saying he expected Harbottle to step up another level and accepted he would not be able to sign him again

I suppose it was a bit difficult for Forest to offer him a longer term contract as the view was he wouldnt break into the first team as he wasnt ready, however if Forest had been relegated he may have found a way in

From June 22

Nottingham Forest are pleased to announce that Under 23s captain Riley Harbottle has signed a new deal with the club.

The 21-year-old, who has been on Forest's books since the foundation stage, has put pen to paper on a two-year contract at The City Ground.

Harbottle made his first team debut for The Reds against Bradford City in the first round of the Carabao Cup last season, as well as starting in the next round against Premier League side Wolves.

The central defender was also a key player for Andy Reid’s Under 23s side as The Reds qualified for the Premier League 2 Division 2 play-off semi-finals having finished fourth in their first season as a Category One outfit.

After signing his new contract, Harbottle said: “I’m delighted to sign a new contract.

“I just want to have a successful season and now everything is sorted, I’m buzzing to get pre-season underway.”

Under 23s Head Coach Andy Reid added: “We are delighted that Riley has signed a new contract with the club.

"He is somebody who has developed into a real leader and we are proud of how far he has come. He had a tough first half of last season but bounced back to have a really strong second half of the season.

“We are looking forward to helping him continue his development and potentially exploring the options for him to head out on loan.”

VoltaireHibs
04-01-2024, 05:59 PM
Wealdstone and Mansfield were part of his development and Clough helped him with that at Mansfield and was quoted as saying he expected Harbottle to step up another level and accepted he would not be able to sign him again

I suppose it was a bit difficult for Forest to offer him a longer term contract as the view was he wouldnt break into the first team as he wasnt ready, however if Forest had been relegated he may have found a way in

From June 22

Nottingham Forest are pleased to announce that Under 23s captain Riley Harbottle has signed a new deal with the club.

The 21-year-old, who has been on Forest's books since the foundation stage, has put pen to paper on a two-year contract at The City Ground.

Harbottle made his first team debut for The Reds against Bradford City in the first round of the Carabao Cup last season, as well as starting in the next round against Premier League side Wolves.

The central defender was also a key player for Andy Reid’s Under 23s side as The Reds qualified for the Premier League 2 Division 2 play-off semi-finals having finished fourth in their first season as a Category One outfit.

After signing his new contract, Harbottle said: “I’m delighted to sign a new contract.

“I just want to have a successful season and now everything is sorted, I’m buzzing to get pre-season underway.”

Under 23s Head Coach Andy Reid added: “We are delighted that Riley has signed a new contract with the club.

"He is somebody who has developed into a real leader and we are proud of how far he has come. He had a tough first half of last season but bounced back to have a really strong second half of the season.

“We are looking forward to helping him continue his development and potentially exploring the options for him to head out on loan.”

That's all well and good, but we signed a guy that was playing for Mansefield Town, the article is just the usual guff. If he's on more than 1k a week I'll eat my hat. Either way, Riley Harbottle is some distance from being our biggest problem right now.

Disclaimer, I don't own a hat.

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 06:35 PM
That's all well and good, but we signed a guy that was playing for Mansefield Town, the article is just the usual guff. If he's on more than 1k a week I'll eat my hat. Either way, Riley Harbottle is some distance from being our biggest problem right now.

You don’t have a hat?
That’s an error.
I bet Megwa has one.

Alex Trager
04-01-2024, 06:38 PM

Agree with all the thoughts of this nature.

Another poster has said there would be a less youth focussed approach with more team ready players coming in, I’ve not seen that been said but I hope it is indeed the case.

The club really need to identify a suitable strategy to take us forward.

They didn’t get it right in the summer, although you could argue that there is evidence to suggest that they have changed tact, though it has come with a lot of upheaval with the managerial change.

They now have a man who wants to play a certain way, rightly or wrongly, so they need to continue to sign players who are first team ready but are also suited to NM’s style.

Brooster
04-01-2024, 06:53 PM

Not a chance he's on less than £52k pa at Hibs. Do you want chips with your hat?

Fwiw I've seen him play CH for the development team a few times and he looks assured, I'd give him a chance. He's no worse than Rocky for sure.

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 07:09 PM
Not a chance he's on less than £52k pa at Hibs. Do you want chips with your hat?

Fwiw I've seen him play CH for the development team a few times and he looks assured, I'd give him a chance. He's no worse than Rocky for sure.

He's already said, he hasn't got a hat.

Smartie
04-01-2024, 07:11 PM

That's interesting to hear.

I find it a bit mystifying that he's not had more of a chance. Pre-Hibs his credentials are decent - able to get a contract at a big club like Forest then continuing his development playing regularly at a lower level, increasing that level bit by bit.

We've not exactly been glowing at CH this season and it's just weird that his only real glimpse of first team action has been at RB under Johnson.

Stubbsy90+2
04-01-2024, 08:24 PM
You can't admit you were wrong in what you posted can you? You called out and took the piss out another poster for this and you were the one in the wrong.

If you need things to be spelt out to you in such a basic form then that’s on you.

It doesn’t take a genius to realise the guy wasn’t saying they were useless in areas where he’s already acknowledged they’re doing well.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 08:27 PM
If you need things to be spelt out to you in such a basic form then that’s on you.

Think it's Ian Gordon? Club can do no wrong here.

MikeyS
04-01-2024, 08:44 PM

He will have been on a decent wage at Forest and most likely took a drop to kick-start his career here.

RMQ1967
04-01-2024, 09:14 PM
Think it's Ian Gordon? Club can do no wrong here.

I just think there should be a little bit of appreciation that no-one walks into a club with the 5th biggest budget in the league & is guaranteed success.

Also think there should be a little respect that they're risking their cash to try and improve our club and I don't think anyone would disagree they're doing a fantastic job on the things they can control around improving club infrastructure.

What they can't control are injuries, poor decisions by officials & players, crap management & coaching & general bad luck - all of which affect us & probably every other team.

No team outside selik are guaranteed to win anything in this league & they have 10 - 20x our spending power.

Just think people need to consider where we (& every other team outside the OF currently are) and realise that we're in a very decent place that might bring us some very good times if the aspirations of the senior people at the club are realised.

However, most will realise there are no guarantees.

andrew70
04-01-2024, 09:22 PM
I just think there should be a little bit of appreciation that no-one walks into a club with the 5th biggest budget in the league & is guaranteed success.

Also think there should be a little respect that they're risking their cash to try and improve our club and I don't think anyone would disagree they're doing a fantastic job on the things they can control around improving club infrastructure.

What they can't control are injuries, poor decisions by officials & players, crap management & coaching & general bad luck - all of which affect us & probably every other team.

No team outside selik are guaranteed to win anything in this league & they have 10 - 20x our spending power.

Just think people need to consider where we (& every other team outside the OF currently are) and realise that we're in a very decent place that might bring us some very good times if the aspirations of the senior people at the club are realised.

Very well put. Spot on.

chippy
05-01-2024, 09:42 AM
Agree with all the thoughts of this nature.

Another poster has said there would be a less youth focussed approach with more team ready players coming in, I’ve not seen that been said but I hope it is indeed the case.

The club really need to identify a suitable strategy to take us forward.

They didn’t get it right in the summer, although you could argue that there is evidence to suggest that they have changed tact, though it has come with a lot of upheaval with the managerial change.

They now have a man who wants to play a certain way, rightly or wrongly, so they need to continue to sign players who are first team ready but are also suited to NM’s style.
Quality experienced players will play well in any system and all

Smartie
05-01-2024, 10:20 AM
Quality experienced players will play well in any system and all

Not sure this is true.

Would Russel Latapy or Scott Allan fit comfortably into any particular role in our current 442? Or Matthias Jack?

That's not a slight on players who were excellent for us but some players are more versatile than others, doesn't mean the "specialists" or those who can only thrive in certain systems or with certain players around them are bad players at all.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2024, 10:37 AM

Wollacott
Boruc
Le Fondre
Harbottle
Obita
Vente
Levitt

I wouldn't want to see Vente or Obita leave and I'm looking forward to ALF returning.

Levitt is a quality player who will come good so I want him to stay too.

Wollacott and Boruc are back up which we need.

That leaves Harbottle so 6 out of 7 of McDermott's signings have been successful.

worcesterhibby
05-01-2024, 10:37 AM
He's already said, he hasn't got a hat.

It's Ok, I beleive they are metaphorical chips he's speaking about and metaphorical chips fit well in hats that are going through an existentialist crisis.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2024, 10:59 AM

What do you throw in the air when Hibs score and you shout "Play up, Hibernian, play up"?

The Modfather
05-01-2024, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't want to see Vente or Obita leave and I'm looking forward to ALF returning.

Levitt is a quality player who will come good so I want him to stay too.

Wollacott and Boruc are back up which we need.

That leaves Harbottle so 6 out of 7 of McDermott's signings have been successful.

That’s a slightly generous summary, IMO. Few out and out duds, but few who have also unarguably improved the starting 11.

I’d agree with Obita and Vente (though that dial is shifting towards disappointing the more the weeks go on unfortunately).

Boruc just a young keeper for the future so not really one to judge either way.

ALF is quality but has been injured as much as he’s played so difficult to say a roaring success.

Wollacot & Harbottle (did we pay fees for both?) are disappointments IMO given they play in two positions we’ve struggled in for large parts of the season and made no impact on the starting 11.

Levit, i’m not a big fan but being generous the jury is still out on. We payed a good fee for him though and he’s not yet justified that spend.

Maybe only 1 or 2 players who haven’t made any impact. Yet almost £2m spent in the summer to, at best IMO, stand still on last season, isn’t a great transfer window. On the plus side it seemed a more coherent and sensible window which bodes well.

Stubbsy90+2
05-01-2024, 11:09 AM
That’s a slightly generous summary, IMO. Few out and out duds, but few who have also unarguably improved the starting 11.

I’d agree with Obita and Vente (though that dial is shifting towards disappointing the more the weeks go on unfortunately).

Boruc just a young keeper for the future so not really one to judge either way.

ALF is quality but has been injured as much as he’s played so difficult to say a roaring success.

Wollacot & Harbottle (did we pay fees for both?) are disappointments IMO given they play in two positions we’ve struggled in for large parts of the season and made no impact on the starting 11.

Levit, i’m not a big fan but being generous the jury is still out on. We payed a good fee for him though and he’s not yet justified that spend.

Maybe only 1 or 2 players who haven’t made any impact. Yet almost £2m spent in the summer to, at best IMO, stand still on last season, isn’t a great transfer window. On the plus side it seemed a more coherent and sensible window which bodes well.

Slightly generous is being very generous imo :greengrin

Obita is probably a success for me. He’s kept Stevenson out the team for starters, something which nobody has managed to do other than Doig who left for millions.

For a variety of reasons, I find it hard to believe anyone can claim the other 6 have genuinely been a success. As you said, that’s not to say theyve all been out and out failed signings (although at this point I’d argue Wollacott, Levitt and Harbottle have been).

If you finish 5th fairly comfortably, in touching distance of third, and follow that up the next season with 6 succesful signings out of 7 in the summer, then you’re looking a hell of a lot better than we are currently.

jakeshibs
05-01-2024, 11:46 AM

What a very well balanced and sensible post. well said sir!

04Sauzee
06-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Starting for Airdrie today.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-01-2024, 01:27 PM

More experience for the lad. Keep him there until the flight to Dubai

Paul1642
06-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Not sure this is true.

Would Russel Latapy or Scott Allan fit comfortably into any particular role in our current 442? Or Matthias Jack?

That's not a slight on players who were excellent for us but some players are more versatile than others, doesn't mean the "specialists" or those who can only thrive in certain systems or with certain players around them are bad players at all.

I would certainly love to find out. Either one of those 3 would go a long way to sorting us out right now.

Not In The Know
06-01-2024, 01:53 PM

any way of watching this?

greenlex
06-01-2024, 02:35 PM
I’ve got it in my stick.:greengrin An Andy’s McNiell in goals for Raith.

04Sauzee
06-01-2024, 02:36 PM
I’ve got it in my stick. :greengrin

Hope it clears up soon.

greenlex
06-01-2024, 02:44 PM
Hope it clears up soon.
:greengrin

Not In The Know
06-01-2024, 03:01 PM

04Sauzee
06-01-2024, 04:17 PM
Raith Rovers fan on Twitter

Airdrie the better side well worth their win again. Boy Megwa looks a real player.

Rovers not even close to it today havent been at our best for a long time, still top of the league somehow 🫡

CropleyWasGod
06-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Raith Rovers fan on Twitter

Airdrie the better side well worth their win again. Boy Megwa looks a real player.

Rovers not even close to it today havent been at our best for a long time, still top of the league somehow 🫡

Other than Hibs, Airdrie are the only team to beat Rovers this season. They've done it twice now, with a cup semi to come.

WhileTheChief..
06-01-2024, 04:36 PM
Aren't guys like Megwa, Whittaker and Molotnikov our back up players? Do we need to be bringing in others that aren't ready for the first team?

greenlex
06-01-2024, 04:41 PM
Aren't guys like Megwa, Whittaker and Molotnikov our back up players? Do we need to be bringing in others that aren't ready for the first team?
Nope and bringing in first team ready players is the priority. Monty has already said this. The only way someone might come in as a starter will be if they’re somehow become available as we have one eye on next season replacing players who will be leaving.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2024, 04:54 PM
Nope and bringing in first team ready players is the priority. Monty has already said this. The only way someone might come in as a starter will be if they’re somehow become available as we have one eye on next season replacing players who will be leaving.

He has said that but, to be fair, managers always do. Pretty standard “got to be better than what we’ve got” type chat. Proof will be in who we actually get in.

On Megwa, we should recall IMO. Better option than anything we currently have available in that position.

greenlex
06-01-2024, 04:57 PM
He has said that but, to be fair, managers always do. Pretty standard “got to be better than what we’ve got” type chat. Proof will be in who we actually get in.

On Megwa, we should recall IMO. Better option than anything we currently have available in that position.
I’m trying like a bear to find out about the Megwa situation but the person who would 100% know is keeping rather tight lipped. To be fair they usually are.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2024, 05:08 PM
I’m trying like a bear to find out about the Megwa situation but the person who would 100% know is keeping rather tight lipped. To be fair they usually are.

If not getting him back, there could only be two reasons for it IMO. We’re looking to get someone in that plays that position or we don’t have the option to recall (which would be stupidity).

As someone else mentioned earlier on the thread, I’d look to get him back and send Whittaker the other way if they wanted him.

King Cosell
06-01-2024, 05:10 PM

Bring back Megwa, offer them Whittaker.

Hermit Crab
06-01-2024, 05:14 PM
Other than Hibs, Airdrie are the only team to beat Rovers this season. They've done it twice now, with a cup semi to come.

Yeah, they've only lost 2 league matches all season, both to Airdrie 1-0.

greenlex
06-01-2024, 05:18 PM
If not getting him back, there could only be two reasons for it IMO. We’re looking to get someone in that plays that position or we don’t have the option to recall (which would be stupidity).

As someone else mentioned earlier on the thread, I’d look to get him back and send Whittaker the other way if they wanted him.

Bring back Megwa, offer them Whittaker.
Agreed however we need to think of both players well-being and development. Whilst I’m sure Megwa would be better for us Whittaker might not get the same game time at a Airdrie who are in the play off spots in the Championship. Longer term too when Miller comes back Megwa is kicking his heels instead of getting valuable game time on a weekly basis for the rest of the season. Whittaker has plenty time on that front.
Personally I’d punt Miller and bring back Megwa and play him. Whittaker is in my opinion a couple of years away to first team material.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2024, 05:21 PM
Agreed however we need to think of both players well-being and development. Whilst I’m sure Megwa would be better for us Whittaker might not get the same game time at a Airdrie who are in the play off spots in the Championship. Longer term too when Miller comes back Megwa is kicking his heels instead of getting valuable game time on a weekly basis for the rest of the season. Whittaker has plenty time on that front.
Personally I’d punt Miller and bring back Megwa and play him. Whittaker is in my opinion a couple of years away to first team material.

If Megwa was back and in the team before Miller returns, he’d have the chance to stay there. Miller has been average at best, IMO, so wouldn’t necessarily come right back in. Just think we need to think of ourselves first and foremost and Whittaker playing after the break wouldn’t be good for us (not looking to be critical of him but he's 16 and looks well short just now for me).

Unseen work
06-01-2024, 05:21 PM
Kris Moore from leeds is apparently a done deal and he has been playing right back for them this season.

Might mean Megwa isn’t recalled

greenlex
06-01-2024, 05:22 PM
If Megwa was back and in the team before Miller returns, he’d have the chance to stay there. Miller has been average at best, IMO, so wouldn’t necessarily come right back in. Just think we need to think of ourselves first and foremost and Whittaker playing after the break wouldn’t be good for us (not looking to be critical of him but he's 16 and looks well short just now for me).
I don’t actually think it would be good for Whittaker either .

Ricky Bobby
06-01-2024, 05:36 PM
Just back from the Airdrie game.
Megwa was very good. The Airdrie fans around me absolutely love him.
They are hoping we have a brain fart and let him go.

andrew70
06-01-2024, 05:42 PM

Megwa himself says Montgomery doesn’t fancy him for some reason.

Be a big turnaround if he is recalled imo.

Ricky Bobby
06-01-2024, 05:53 PM

If Montgomery cant identify that Megwa is miles ahead of Whittaker, and is potentially better than anything we have at right back, then I am not sure I am comfortable with giving him money to spend in the January window.

Paul1642
06-01-2024, 05:56 PM

Wasn’t there only about 1 week between Monty arriving and Megwa leaving on loan. The deal was presumably in motion before Monty even arrived.

04Sauzee
06-01-2024, 06:04 PM
Wasn’t there only about 1 week between Monty arriving and Megwa leaving on loan. The deal was presumably in motion before Monty even arrived.

Monty joins Hibs 11th September, Megwa to Airdrie 21st September, so only 10 days.

andrew70
06-01-2024, 06:06 PM

I know but he regularly contacts the guys on loan and discusses how they are doing. Oscar Mac speaks very highly of him in this regard. Megwa not so much. Guess it depends on what they are hearing.

HendoDelivered
06-01-2024, 06:13 PM

Yep. Spoke to Kenayo and Rudi after the Aberdeen semi game in a bar in town and Megwa said this to me but was a bit puzzled (like me) as to why he wasn’t fancied. He never went into any details, nor did I ask or expect him too either.

Unless things have changed, I would be quite surprised if he is recalled and played, just going off the brief chat I had with him. Very polite laddie btw.

Who knows though, stranger things have happened.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2024, 06:14 PM
The OP seemed certain 2 days ago...

Brightside
06-01-2024, 06:14 PM
Yep. Spoke to Kenayo and Rudi after the Aberdeen semi game in a bar in town and Megwa said this to me but was a bit puzzled (like me) as to why he wasn’t fancied. He never went into any details, nor did I ask or expect him too either.

Unless things have changed, I would be quite surprised if he is recalled and played, just going off the brief chat I had with him. Very polite laddie btw.

What were they doing in a bar in town?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2024, 06:15 PM

I hope it wasn't the night before the derby.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2024, 06:19 PM

Having dinner with their nan of course.

JammyDoidger
06-01-2024, 06:38 PM

This is what I've been told from someone in the Airdrie camp, they don't expect to lose him just now, obviously might change, but they don't think Hibs fancy him, found it strange as all I hear is rave reviews about Kanayo, the Airdrie gaffer said he's the real deal.

Paul1642
06-01-2024, 06:40 PM
Could it be that we do fancy him but think that seeing out his loan which is currently going very well is the best option.

Smartie
06-01-2024, 06:45 PM
Having dinner with their nan of course.

😂

hibsbollah
06-01-2024, 06:47 PM

If he did say that, its far more likely that hes presuming that Monty doesnt fancy him because hes not getting game time yet, not that he thinks hes rubbish and would never play him. Events will change.

Far too early to tell what his plans are in that position, with the window only just open. Some will want any excuse to sharpen the anti managerial pitchforks under any pretext mind you.

number9dream
06-01-2024, 07:08 PM

Rhys McCabe described KM as "outstanding" in his post-match interview...
Airdrie have conceded once in their last four games.

andrew70
06-01-2024, 07:35 PM
This is what I've been told from someone in the Airdrie camp, they don't expect to lose him just now, obviously might change, but they don't think Hibs fancy him, found it strange as all I hear is rave reviews about Kanayo, the Airdrie gaffer said he's the real deal.

I like the cut of McCabe’s jib to be fair.

1875Sean
06-01-2024, 08:22 PM

Out of interest was that made up?

Alex Trager
06-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Seems a bit mental that Monty doesn’t rate him based on the reviews he is getting.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Seems a bit mental that Monty doesn’t rate him based on the reviews he is getting.

Probably not true

Onceinawhile
06-01-2024, 09:34 PM
I like the cut of McCabe’s jib to be fair.

Ditto. Only 30 or so as well.

Hibee Mac
06-01-2024, 09:52 PM
He's probably looking at it from the perspective that he's out on loan whilst a younger and less capable player in Whittaker is getting first team appearances ahead of him despite not really standing out in any way.

I'd be a bit pissed off if I was him too, that doesn't mean that Montgomery doesn't rate him though. It could be that he's waiting until Megwa comes back in summer and is planning to swap places with Whittaker as the backup first team RB.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Paul1642
06-01-2024, 09:59 PM
He's probably looking at it from the perspective that he's out on loan whilst a younger and less capable player in Whittaker is getting first team appearances ahead of him despite not really standing out in any way.

I'd be a bit pissed off if I was him too, that doesn't mean that Montgomery doesn't rate him though. It could be that he's waiting until Megwa comes back in summer and is planning to swap places with Whittaker as the backup first team RB.

This makes sense. If we think the loan is working well for his development why cancel it when we don’t need to.

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2024, 10:11 PM
Delighted that Megwa looks a player but the diss on Whittaker is unfair. He’s a young lad and he’s done very well. Let’s be happy that we have several decent young players emerging rather than get hung up on odious comparisons when they are both at a formative stage of their career development.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2024, 10:19 PM
Delighted that Megwa looks a player but the diss on Whittaker is unfair. He’s a young lad and he’s done very well. Let’s be happy that we have several decent young players emerging rather than get hung up on odious comparisons when they are both at a formative stage of their career development.

I think folk are just being realistic on Whittaker and nobody is criticising him.

He’s struggled in his more recent appearances and it’s really clear that teams are targeting him when he’s playing. He’s 16 and in the team through circumstances rather than being ready to play. If he keeps playing, as someone else said, it has potential to damage him as much as us.

Stuart93
06-01-2024, 10:29 PM
Seen a Raith fan describing him as outstanding today.

Hibee Mac
06-01-2024, 10:57 PM
Delighted that Megwa looks a player but the diss on Whittaker is unfair. He’s a young lad and he’s done very well. Let’s be happy that we have several decent young players emerging rather than get hung up on odious comparisons when they are both at a formative stage of their career development.Odious comparisons is a bit extreme don't you think?

I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for fans to say they think one young player looks like a better prospect than another

HIBS NUTS
07-01-2024, 12:03 AM
Out of interest was that made up?

Megwa had played 13 matches , and had won 2 player of the month awards .
After the Airdrie 2 Inverness 0 game, on the 2.1.24.
On the Airdrie forum”pies and Boveral” the Airdrie manager was quoted to have said by the fans “Hibernian are having problems with the right back position, due to the Asian Cup, and it looks likely that he may rejoin hibs at their training camp.
I added a smiling emoji, because of the source.
However in my opinion, Megwa is a very good option at the moment to fill this gap.

1875Sean
07-01-2024, 12:12 AM
Megwa had played 13 matches , and had won 2 player of the month awards .
After the Airdrie 2 Inverness 0 game, on the 2.1.24.
On the Airdrie forum”pies and Boveral” the Airdrie manager was quoted to have said by the fans “Hibernian are having problems with the right back position, due to the Asian Cup, and it looks likely that he may rejoin hibs at their training camp.
I added a smiling emoji, because of the source.
However in my opinion, Megwa is a very good option at the moment to fill this gap.

Thanks for the info, it’s just the way you phrased it sounded like you knew for sure he was coming back rather than a feeling, the right back issue may not be for long as our first league game back isn’t until Jan the 24th, we are linked with bringing in a right back and we have Cadden due to come back at the end of Jan, I seen Patrick McPartlin say he thinks Megwa may stay for the rest of the season as the club want him to play games, he might still come back but maybe not

Forza Fred
07-01-2024, 01:52 AM
I think Megwa has a bright future……but consider……

After the break it is likely that both Miller and Cadden will be vying for the right back spot AND if we sign on loan the Leeds 20 year old, whose name I forget….we would be pretty well covered as he has mostly been playing right back..

Given all that, the powers that be may well decide to leave him at Airdrie where he is almost assured of a starting spot for the rest of the season…rather than likely have him sit on the bench at Easter Road most weeks

MagicSwirlingShip
07-01-2024, 02:42 AM

After the break it is likely that both Miller and Cadden will be vying for the right back spot AND if we sign on loan the Leeds 20 year old, whose name I forget….we would be pretty well covered as he has mostly been playing right back..

Given all that, the powers that be may well decide to leave him at Airdrie where he is almost assured of a starting spot for the rest of the season…rather than likely have him sit on the bench at Easter Road most weeks

Play the long game

HH81
07-01-2024, 07:03 AM

That works as long as he is first choice next season. Needs to be and I think he will.

hibsbollah
07-01-2024, 01:29 PM

As someone whos never actually seen him play yet, my main concern is overhyping the lad at this point. If he’s not the second coming of Cafu straight away I hope the fans are patient with him and remember he’s barely had any minutes in front of a big crowd, and is still only 19.

jeffers
09-01-2024, 05:04 PM
On the plane to Dubai. Not seen it posted elsewhere, apologies if it has.

Unseen work
09-01-2024, 05:16 PM
Delighted for Megwa with how well his loan has went.

He’s the one all the first team players mention when they speak about who they’ve been most impressed by or who is ready.

What I will say is fans seem to be building him up and building him up, let’s remember he’s still a young lad with only 6 months of first team football under his belt.

Give him time and be patient, mistakes will still happen!

Unseen work
09-01-2024, 05:17 PM
https://x.com/marshyleeds/status/1744781965344022576?s=46&t=jmxs-mZWT_cnYbURW-GKJw

Deal agreed for Moore who is flying out to Dubai

Bridge hibs
09-01-2024, 05:18 PM

Safe journey mate

cabbageandribs1875
09-01-2024, 05:30 PM
Kanayo in team of the week..

https://scontent.fman1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/416160319_773592724806692_4156290174550194055_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=D6FNAz2INUIAX-R7KO6&_nc_ht=scontent.fman1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBTjlVIn92L325vKDvBPJKSBbDhVj7sgiyiADRAzsxh cg&oe=65A25EBC

flash
09-01-2024, 06:08 PM
Safe journey mate

Does he not mean Megwa is on the flight?

green day
09-01-2024, 06:10 PM

You are due a holiday mate. Enjoy :wink:

Lago
09-01-2024, 06:12 PM
Does he not mean Megwa is on the flight?
Duh

greenlex
09-01-2024, 06:17 PM
Jeffers just been outed as Megwa. 😂😂. If it wasn’t for those pesky Kids.

flash
09-01-2024, 06:18 PM
Duh

Have I been whooshed?

Bridge hibs
09-01-2024, 06:21 PM
Duh

🤣

AlbertK86
09-01-2024, 06:29 PM

Is this fact or rumour ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffers
09-01-2024, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. I feel I need the break 🤣

Greenworld
09-01-2024, 06:46 PM
https://x.com/marshyleeds/status/1744781965344022576?s=46&t=jmxs-mZWT_cnYbURW-GKJw

Deal agreed for Moore who is flying out to DubaiGreat stuff

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Brightside
09-01-2024, 06:49 PM

I know you wont but for everyone else - don't assume that means we are cutting his loan.

jeffers
09-01-2024, 07:02 PM
I know you wont but for everyone else - don't assume that means we are cutting his loan.

I never assume B. You know what they say 🤣

Bridge hibs
09-01-2024, 07:19 PM

Does that really make sense though, taking Megwa to Dubai but he returns to Airdrie on his return ? We have Whittaker and now Moore from Leeds as RB and our international defenders returning as well as Cadden

Airdrie also have a big game on Saturday v Dunfermline and given the positive reviews coming from Airdrie he will be a big miss

Brightside
09-01-2024, 07:23 PM
Does that really make sense though, taking Megwa to Dubai but he returns to Airdrie on his return ? We have Whittaker and now Moore from Leeds as RB and our international defenders returning as well as Cadden

Airdrie also have a big game on Saturday v Dunfermline and given the positive reviews coming from Airdrie he will be a big miss

It gives Monty a chance to see him and ensures he doesn't think he's out in the cold. It was pretty common in the past for us to take players aware and then for them to go out to other clubs on return. If we cut his loan and he doesn't play most weeks then that for me would be a mistake.

greenlex
09-01-2024, 07:28 PM
It gives Monty a chance to see him and ensures he doesn't think he's out in the cold. It was pretty common in the past for us to take players aware and then for them to go out to other clubs on return. If we cut his loan and he doesn't play most weeks then that for me would be a mistake.
I see what you did there. :wink:

AlbertK86
09-01-2024, 09:32 PM

Well said. Makes total sense to take him over and keep him involved.

JimBHibees
10-01-2024, 05:59 AM

Makes complete sense

flash
10-01-2024, 06:37 AM
He is one of the best players in the Championship and one we would most likely be looking at if he wasn't ours already.

Personally speaking I would let him have the whole season at Airdrie particularly if we have Cadden coming back and Moore coming in.

He can come back in the summer and have a full preseason with the first team squad and be assessed properly.

HIBS NUTS
10-01-2024, 08:29 AM
He is one of the best players in the Championship and one we would most likely be looking at if he wasn't ours already.

Personally speaking I would let him have the whole season at Airdrie particularly if we have Cadden coming back and Moore coming in.

He can come back in the summer and have a full preseason with the first team squad and be assessed properly.
He’s played for Kelly hearts last season, played 14 games for Airdrie, he played in the European under 18/19 games , He’s now much more experienced and 3 years older than Rory Whittaker, it would make more sense to me, if we offered Rory to Airdrie as a replacement.
Megwa is actually a decent replacement centre half, only if we had injures, although on the small side.
Hibs and Monty will have all the stats and knowledge on both, I’m sure they will do the right decision on both.

Brightside
10-01-2024, 08:34 AM
He’s played for Kelly hearts last season, played 14 games for Airdrie, he played in the European under 18/19 games , He’s now much more experienced and 3 years older than Rory Whittaker, it would make more sense to me, if we offered Rory to Airdrie as a replacement.
Megwa is actually a decent replacement centre half, only if we had injures, although on the small side.
Hibs and Monty will have all the stats and knowledge on both, I’m sure they will do the right decision on both.

What if the guy from Leeds comes in and plays at RB and Megwa then sits on the bench for the rest of the season? I don't mind either way as long as he is playing and developing.

HIBS NUTS
10-01-2024, 10:06 AM
What if the guy from Leeds comes in and plays at RB and Megwa then sits on the bench for the rest of the season? I don't mind either way as long as he is playing and developing.
If that’s the case, then Rory Whittaker has no chance of game time.
Its hard to be playing first team football, then go back to under 18s, surely a loan for Whittaker would be best for everyone, Airdrie would seem a good choice.

B.H.F.C
10-01-2024, 10:15 AM
Its hard to be playing first team football, then go back to under 18s, surely a loan for Whittaker would be best for everyone, Airdrie would seem a good choice.

Whittaker has been playing first team but it’s only been out of necessity and way ahead of when he should have been IMO.

I think they need to be really careful with him, I’m not sure he’d even be ready to play Championship week in, week out.

That’s not being critical of him by the way, I just think he looks well off it physically as much as anything which is totally understandable IMO.

Stubbsy90+2
10-01-2024, 10:17 AM
Whittaker has been playing first team but it’s only been out of necessity and way ahead of when he should have been IMO.

I think they need to be really careful with him, I’m not sure he’d even be ready to play Championship week in, week out.

That’s not being critical of him by the way, I just think he looks well off it physically as much as anything which is totally understandable IMO.

Agree.

I’d consider sending him to an Edinburgh City or Kelty Hearts or the like and hoping he was a standout. If he was then I’d look to get him into the Championship next season.

Brightside
10-01-2024, 11:09 AM

Whitts is still a baby - no issue with him getting 10 mins here and there and still playing Dev. But if he is pushed off the bench then yes id agree get him out on loan. The bench has been full of kids recently, that if they aren't needed moving forward should be out on loan and playing every week. I expect Rudi will be next to go out and play full time .

Unseen work
10-01-2024, 02:17 PM
Hibs have just uploaded photos of him in Dubai

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/megwa-returns-for-dubai-trip

Bit of a weird one and can’t imagine Airdrie being happy

HIBS NUTS
10-01-2024, 02:22 PM
The OP seemed certain 2 days ago...

Nice to be right for once.😀👍

Chipper1875
10-01-2024, 02:22 PM

He’s our player and gives the manager a chance to see him in the flesh.

Brightside
10-01-2024, 02:29 PM

Henderson there too.

Stuart93
10-01-2024, 02:35 PM
Hopefully this is the start of him being recalled and being used at RB

Reckon miller needs a bit genuine competition cause he’d went right off the Martin boyle

TrinityHFC
10-01-2024, 03:09 PM

He misses one game for them and potentially goes back. Alternative for them is that they lose him now without the option of getting him back.

Forza Fred
10-01-2024, 10:15 PM

I read the Hibs statement and it makes it clear he has been called into the training camp.

However, it did not say that he had been recalled from Airdrie for the remainder of the season.

HIBS NUTS
11-01-2024, 08:02 AM
I read the Hibs statement and it makes it clear he has been called into the training camp.

However, it did not say that he had been recalled from Airdrie for the remainder of the season.
I wouldn’t normally reply to this BUT
My original post is 100 percent correct, it doesn’t say he’s been recalled it says he’s been recalled to take part in hibs training camp, from Airdrie.
He might very well be recalled for good, depending on how good he looks.
This was way before the official statement.
You must have better things to do with your time, than picking up on good information.

Brightside
11-01-2024, 10:16 AM
I wouldn’t normally reply to this BUT
My original post is 100 percent correct, it doesn’t say he’s been recalled it says he’s been recalled to take part in hibs training camp, from Airdrie.
He might very well be recalled for good, depending on how good he looks.
This was way before the official statement.
You must have better things to do with your time, than picking up on good information.

not sure Fred is picking on anything. I think you've maybe picked up on him wrong. He's just saying what others have said too. No one knows if his loan is being cut short at this time.

HIBS NUTS
11-01-2024, 11:39 AM
not sure Fred is picking on anything. I think you've maybe picked up on him wrong. He's just saying what others have said too. No one knows if his loan is being cut short at this time.
Thanks for pointing this out ��
Fred ��
GGTTH

erin go bragh
12-01-2024, 05:07 PM
100% this. Airdrie fan's absolutely love him, get him involved with the first team now.

JohnM1875
12-01-2024, 05:07 PM
Sounds like he’s back for the remainder of the season with Monty saying ‘coming back from his loan spell’

HIBS NUTS
15-01-2024, 12:09 PM
Sounds like he’s back for the remainder of the season with Monty saying ‘coming back from his loan spell’
Monty in today’s press , talking up his succesful loan spell at Airdrie, and saying he has impressed in Dubai.
Looks pretty likely, he will be given a chance, with hibs until the end of the season.
Also says Moore will go back to Leeds, but he’s not sure what will happen.

McD
15-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Monty in today’s press , talking up his succesful loan spell at Airdrie, and saying he has impressed in Dubai.
Looks pretty likely, he will be given a chance, with hibs until the end of the season.
Also says Moore will go back to Leeds, but he’s not sure what will happen.

Positive to see a manager not just taking on someone else’s young player at the expense of our own, would seem Megwa has shown up well against the lad from Leeds

NGoloGrantie
25-01-2024, 10:08 AM
https://x.com/rory1875/status/1750472853521158315?s=46&t=teWgCfrX60lbBmqMtdAt4g

Absolutely disgusting this btw. Some hibs ‘fans’ need to get a grip. Boys only 18 and didn’t even have a bad game at all last night. Hate our fanbase with a passion.

Phil MaGlass
25-01-2024, 10:11 AM

Absolutely disgusting this btw. Some hibs ‘fans’ need to get a grip. Boys only 18 and didn’t even have a bad game at all last night. Hate our fanbase with a passion.

If they really are Hibs fans at all?

cameronw-hfc
25-01-2024, 10:20 AM

Whilst I understand the fact fans pay good money so are entitled to an opinion, I often feel like our fans in particular on twitter and insta forget the players are human roo.

I bet none of them decided to go out and 'hide' or play poorly, it just happens. Last night was the last game I'll judge us in, yet some fans are desperate to stick the boot in as soon as they can.

Always been an issue, I remember it being clear as day when Stevenson was the target. Criticism is fine, but it's the personal comments that always come out when we lose that ruins it. Megwa was thrown in during a tough spell to the second best team in the league, in a makeshift back 4. The fact anyone is willing to judge in that scenario is mental, never mind give the lad enough abuse he's shut his twitter.

ruthven_raiders
25-01-2024, 10:24 AM
If they really are Hibs fans at all?

Can't see what was being said, he struggled a bit to begin with but thought he got better as game went on, he was thrown into the lions den, no need for any abuse, a youny guy only 18, ridiculous if nasty comments made...he did one great thru ball in the second half....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

MKHIBEE
25-01-2024, 10:30 AM
Whilst I understand the fact fans pay good money so are entitled to an opinion, I often feel like our fans in particular on twitter and insta forget the players are human roo.

I bet none of them decided to go out and 'hide' or play poorly, it just happens. Last night was the last game I'll judge us in, yet some fans are desperate to stick the boot in as soon as they can.

Always been an issue, I remember it being clear as day when Stevenson was the target. Criticism is fine, but it's the personal comments that always come out when we lose that ruins it. Megwa was thrown in during a tough spell to the second best team in the league, in a makeshift back 4. The fact anyone is willing to judge in that scenario is mental, never mind give the lad enough abuse he's shut his twitter.

The don’t forget, they don’t give a ****, moronic behaviour.

Smartie
25-01-2024, 10:31 AM

Not defending any sort of online abuse... but have a few of our players not now either come off or made big changes to their various social media within the past few weeks?

Have Hibs not maybe had a word with some of them to protect themselves against the inevitable, rather than this being any sort of a response to stuff that's been chucked?

Seems a bit of a coincidence that that's been a few of them now.

McD
25-01-2024, 10:34 AM
The don’t forget, they don’t give a ****, moronic behaviour.

Exactly. They are angry and don’t give a **** who gets lashed out at

Bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn’t appreciate any criticism in their jobs though

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Struggled a bit last night, especially in that first half. Chin up young man. Hopefully keeps his place and puts in a stronger performance at the weekend

NGoloGrantie
25-01-2024, 10:39 AM
Not defending any sort of online abuse... but have a few of our players not now either come off or made big changes to their various social media within the past few weeks?

Have Hibs not maybe had a word with some of them to protect themselves against the inevitable, rather than this being any sort of a response to stuff that's been chucked?

Seems a bit of a coincidence that that's been a few of them now.

I know someone who knows kenayo personally and is a good friend of his. He deleted it because of the amount of abuse he was getting last night from so called hibs fans. Was his decision.

flash
25-01-2024, 10:39 AM
Thought he got a roasting for the first 20 minutes or so but recovered well.

Having Youan as your wingman is not ideal in such a tough match.

Smartie
25-01-2024, 10:43 AM
I know someone who knows kenayo personally and is a good friend of his. He deleted it because of the amount of abuse he was getting last night from so called hibs fans. Was his decision.

In which case, that's disgraceful.

He had a slightly wobbly start, which might be expected considering how little first team football he's played for us and the standard of the opposition. After he settled down, he went on to have a pretty assured game and he can be really very pleased with his evening's work.

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 10:46 AM
He played well last night. The fact he adjusted so well after a shaky start against a very good player speaks volumes for him. He can be proud of the way he played and the fact he worked hard and got on top of the job. Not many harder ways to make your debut, he's going to be a good player for us. Well done Kanayo. 👍

Baader
25-01-2024, 10:49 AM

As a player you're just better off away from all that nonsense. Although it shouldn't come to that but that's the sad reality.

Some folk really do need to have a long hard look at themselves and sort their lives out.

sorryfolks
25-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Thought he got a roasting for the first 20 minutes or so but recovered well.

Having Youan as your wingman is not ideal in such a tough match.

Looked well off the pace first half hour or so. Definitely improved second half but I think that was more because Rangers were controlling the game and not attacking with as much intent as the first half.

To be thrown into his first game back, where some fans were expecting him to be the second coming of Cafu, against a really good Rangers team with Youan offering no defensive help in front of him was never going to end well. Completely hung out to dry.

hibsbollah
25-01-2024, 10:56 AM

I doubt that, much more likely to be the thousands of **** and diet **** posing as hibs fans that congregate online after a bad result. Its a cess pit. Most hibs fans at the game will be 100% behind him after a decent performance. You can see hes a player.

Gettin' Auld
25-01-2024, 11:02 AM
In which case, that's disgraceful.

He had a slightly wobbly start, which might be expected considering how little first team football he's played for us and the standard of the opposition. After he settled down, he went on to have a pretty assured game and he can be really very pleased with his evening's work.
Totally agree.

GreenPJ
25-01-2024, 11:17 AM
He grew into the game and am comfortable in him being right back with Whittaker as back up until Miller and Cadden return and then it is what the boss sees in training that should determine starter. I could see value in Cadden right midfield with Megwa at RB.

Unseen work
25-01-2024, 11:18 AM
I thought he was good.

Got skinned once by Matondo early doors and after that was good, can’t remember too much he done wrong after that.

The goal was a midfield runner that clearly wasn’t passed on so although he should be a bit more switched on it lies with Youan for me

500miles
25-01-2024, 11:24 AM
Had a hard time first half, better second. Tough game to cut your teeth in, but seemed to embrace the challenge.

greenpaper55
25-01-2024, 11:27 AM
He got skinned in the first half only because he was left on his own to face the winger, where was another player to double up like every other team manages to do ?

Shrekko
25-01-2024, 11:28 AM
I doubt that, much more likely to be the thousands of **** and diet **** posing as hibs fans that congregate online after a bad result. Its a cess pit. Most hibs fans at the game will be 100% behind him after a decent performance. You can see hes a player.

It is a cess pit, no doubt about it, but making out it's Hearts fans kidding on they're Hibs fans is clutching at straws.

'Hibs twitter' is as toxic as it gets and from what I see it's definitely people who genuinely purport to be Hibs 'fans' doing the damage. It is a minority of the fan base but an unfortunately prominent one. The type who mock other fans for daring to defend the club.

I'm genuinely wincing that the boy is taking any abuse.

hibby rae
25-01-2024, 11:32 AM
He grew into the game and am comfortable in him being right back with Whittaker as back up until Miller and Cadden return and then it is what the boss sees in training that should determine starter. I could see value in Cadden right midfield with Megwa at RB.

Moving forwards I'd like to see Cadden further up the pitch, he only ever really played RB out of necessity.

Ronniekirk
25-01-2024, 11:57 AM
Looked well off the pace first half hour or so. Definitely improved second half but I think that was more because Rangers were controlling the game and not attacking with as much intent as the first half.

To be thrown into his first game back, where some fans were expecting him to be the second coming of Cafu, against a really good Rangers team with Youan offering no defensive help in front of him was never going to end well. Completely hung out to dry.
Hard to disagree with that but he will learn from that baptism of fire and be a better player for it
If we want to see young players breaking through earlier we need to be patient with them
if the laddie was getting abuse thst out of order
for first goal Lovell in commentary made it clear Youan was at fault as didn’t communicate he was passing player on to Megwa

BSEJVT
25-01-2024, 12:03 PM
Interesting to see folk in this thread more or less discounting Miller, I have never thought he was up to much either

superfurryhibby
25-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Interesting to see folk in this thread more or less discounting Miller, I have never thought he was up to much either

I've just read the last two pages on this post, but don't see anyone discounting Miller?

He's had some excellent games and been poor in others.

I though Megwa did alright. Started out looking jittery, didn't get the support he needed at times but he grew in confidence and showed a bit of fight. Don't get why Whittaker was brought on though.

ChuckNor
25-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Not saying it didn't happen, but I haven't seen any abuse from the Hibs fan accounts I follow, unless it was via direct messages. Perhaps it was abuse from the Old Firm fans?

Some of the Hibs fan accounts on twitter are shocking though. The negativity is ridiculous. They revel in it for attention.

BSEJVT
25-01-2024, 12:20 PM
I've just read the last two pages on this post, but don't see anyone discounting Miller?

He's had some excellent games and been poor in others.

I though Megwa did alright. Started out looking jittery, didn't get the support he needed at times but he grew in confidence and showed a bit of fight. Don't get why Whittaker was brought on though.

When our right back options were being discussed in the thread folk were focussing on Megwa or Cadden?

Personally I have never thought Miller to be excellent okay sometimes, brainless others

superfurryhibby
25-01-2024, 12:25 PM
When our right back options were being discussed in the thread folk were focussing on Megwa or Cadden?

Personally I have never thought Miller to be excellent okay sometimes, brainless others

I suspect that's because Miller is currently unavailable for selection.

You don't rate him, fair enough. I think he's been better than okay, sometimes.

BSEJVT
25-01-2024, 12:34 PM
I suspect that's because Miller is currently unavailable for selection.

You don't rate him, fair enough. I think he's been better than okay, sometimes.

Maybe that

Somehow I just expect more of him

A bit like a lot of our players, I think they could/should be doing far far better

greenlex
25-01-2024, 02:11 PM
I think Miller is a microcosm of Hibs at the moment. Capable but slow ponderous and 70% negative. I’d actually stick with Megwa for a good run of games.

VoltaireHibs
25-01-2024, 02:26 PM
I think Miller is a microcosm of Hibs at the moment. Capable but slow ponderous and 70% negative. I’d actually stick with Megwa for a good run of games.

Me too, if Megwa stays then he should be given game time. Miller isn't learning much, a bit like Youan, just keeps making the same kind of mistakes and at times he barely looks like a footballer. Megwa did pretty well last night all things considered. More than happy to have him in the team.

Mikey_1875
25-01-2024, 04:08 PM
Tough night but he was given a round of applause from each stand when walking past them after being substituted. Hopefully he knows that is what matters and not the online trolls. I thought the same as most, he had a difficult 20 minutes and then grew into the game.

Malonga's Cat
25-01-2024, 04:26 PM
Thought he did well considering his lack of experience. The fact he was applauded round the pitch when he came off speaks volumes. Decent young player who needs minutes and support not abuse. Despair at folk thinking abusing players is supporting the team.

wookie70
25-01-2024, 06:36 PM
Partly to blame for the first goal along with Youan and got skinned once or twice early on but a debut against the Thes was never going to be easy particularly when Youan is in front of you and their midfielders had no pressure on them the whole game. I actually think he was one of our better players, kept his head up, never hid and played the pass of teh night that should have ended up with a far more experience debutant scoring. I'm hoping he might develop in the way John Collins did as he is quite small and slim albeit never shirked a physical challenge

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2024, 06:54 PM

it’s like a formula - as As if the algorithms promote encourage this behaviour - the platform is toxic - and the man at the top is fuelling it and tolerates it enabling the muppets.

disgilusting.

the most revolutionary thing kids can do is disconnect from it. At some point the penny will drop and pendulum swing back.

Yorkshire HFC
25-01-2024, 07:04 PM
It is a cess pit, no doubt about it, but making out it's Hearts fans kidding on they're Hibs fans is clutching at straws.

'Hibs twitter' is as toxic as it gets and from what I see it's definitely people who genuinely purport to be Hibs 'fans' doing the damage. It is a minority of the fan base but an unfortunately prominent one. The type who mock other fans for daring to defend the club.

I'm genuinely wincing that the boy is taking any abuse.

What about this website? Look at the abuse of Newell, Youhan, Marshall, Levitt, the manager etc. today. Is it just banter? Are the players just meant to shrug it off? Is it 1970?

The Spaceman
25-01-2024, 07:10 PM
That was a really tough game for a first start. Played a couple of nice passes and didn’t shirk. Deserves time to develop physically and technically - there’s a good base there to work with.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2024, 07:23 PM
No player should be judged after a bit of a baptism of fire against Rangers. Fwiw I thought after a shaky opening 20 minutes or so he did ok. Not brilliant, it was never set up for him to be brilliant though, but he was fine.

Regarding the Twitter stuff I don't think directly abusing any player is acceptable. Forceful criticism be it in the pubs or online is fair enough when it stays the right side of the line. Even then though I find it hard to absolutely tear strips off a young guy making his 2nd competitive start.