PDA

View Full Version : Harry McKirdy

CentreLine
03-01-2024, 12:55 PM
Great to see McKirdy back on the team sheet, hopefully having made a full recovery from what sounded like a very serious heart issue.

Good luck Harry and hope you kick on to show your true potential with the Hibees after the winter break.

SON OF PADDY
03-01-2024, 01:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing Harry, back in action after his illness.

neil7908
03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Great to have him back. I was very critical of him last season but a completely clean slate and I think it's safe to say the fans will be behind him.

We've seen a big turn around from Tavares and Rocky - I'd love if he's next.

BILLYHIBS
03-01-2024, 01:54 PM
Looked leaner meaner keener fit and healthy with yet another hairstyle

If he gets a goal just watch him go

Monty put Jase back on track so you never know

Deserves another chance

CentreForward
03-01-2024, 01:57 PM
Looked leaner meaner keener fit and healthy with yet another haircut

If he gets a goal just watch him go

Monty put Jase back on track so you never know

Deserves another chance

Didn’t know Cummings was back I must have missed his signing. Great news !

Vini1875
03-01-2024, 02:02 PM
Good news for the boy that he is back playing, and I wish him well, but I would be amazed if he is going to make at Hibs.

basehibby
03-01-2024, 02:07 PM
Got the assist for he equaliser yesterday. Well done!

BILLYHIBS
03-01-2024, 02:09 PM
Didn’t know Cummings was back I must have missed his signing. Great news !

At his previous club CCM obviously

Postman
03-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Good to see he has recovered but Harry McKirdy is nowhere near the level we need at Hibs! Will be happy to see him shown the door as early in January as possible.

Pretty Boy
03-01-2024, 02:19 PM
Clean slate for me.

No one knows what impact his illness was having on him last season and there are players who were out the picture who have flourished since the change in manager.

He seemed genuinely touched by the reception he got yesterday going by his social media and seems delighted to be back.

hibsbollah
03-01-2024, 02:39 PM
I find it incredible that folk find the need to pour negativity on a thread like this. When you look at Fish and Tavares you’ve got two players who were widely written off, you should be able to learn that players can surprise you and hit form, hes got a great scoring record at a lower level than SPFL but theres no reason why he wont have an impact here.

CentreForward
03-01-2024, 02:44 PM
At his previous club CCM obviously

Ok I’ll admit it I got that one wrong! Thought you had accidentally written Jase instead of Jair! Had forgotten about Cummings at CCM! :aok:

stokesmessiah
03-01-2024, 02:55 PM
Good to see he has recovered but Harry McKirdy is nowhere near the level we need at Hibs! Will be happy to see him shown the door as early in January as possible.

People were saying that about Tavares recently too. Happy to see what NM can get out of him…

BILLYHIBS
03-01-2024, 03:00 PM
Ok I’ll admit it I got that one wrong! Thought you had accidentally written Jase instead of Jair! Had forgotten about Cummings at CCM! :aok:

No worries

👍

NthCarolinaHibs
03-01-2024, 03:32 PM

That's the spirit..🙄

Lago
03-01-2024, 04:16 PM
I find it incredible that folk find the need to pour negativity on a thread like this. When you look at Fish and Tavares you’ve got two players who were widely written off, you should be able to learn that players can surprise you and hit form, hes got a great scoring record at a lower level than SPFL but theres no reason why he wont have an impact here.
Well said, let's give the boy a chance.

Smartie
03-01-2024, 04:32 PM

Amongst his highlight reel from his time at Swindon (I know, I know) were some moments of obvious quality irrespective of the level of opposition.

He looks to me like he just needs a spark to get him going and the goals would flow after that. Unfortunately it didn't happen for him early on and he's looked a bit desperate since.

The goal contribution yesterday will do him no harm.

I find him quite an easy person to get behind, if for no reason other than he knocks his pan in every time he takes to the field and you can't ever ask for much more than that.

Since452
03-01-2024, 04:48 PM
Wasn't a fan of McKirdy last season and gave him a pretty hard time but I'm absolutely delighted to see him back on the park. Health trumps everything. Hope he can push on. He may find it harder this season in a team that creates little compared to last season.

sleeping giant
03-01-2024, 04:58 PM
I like the guy. Really hope he gets a goal soon.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2024, 04:59 PM
Wasn't a fan of McKirdy last season and gave him a pretty hard time but I'm absolutely delighted to see him back on the park. Health trumps everything. Hope he can push on. He may find it harder this season in a team that creates little compared to last season.

Even on a thread like this you still pop up having a stupid wee dig.

Great for McKirdy to just be back on a football pitch.

McD
03-01-2024, 05:37 PM
The roof will come off if/when he scores, more power to him, hope he goes on to have a great second half to the season and beyond

Mcbizz1998
03-01-2024, 05:53 PM

Everyone on here would have said the same about Jair, not sure why we shouldn’t be hopeful of a similar turnaround from McKirdy? Hope he proves you badly wrong.

HoboHarry
03-01-2024, 06:15 PM
About as churlish a post as you could hope to find on here. Away and sit doon....

MKHIBEE
03-01-2024, 06:21 PM
About as churlish a post as you could hope to find on here. Away and sit doon....

Thats being polite.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2024, 06:41 PM

Give him a chance eh! We have no idea how his health problems were affecting his performances.

CentreLine
03-01-2024, 06:44 PM

Reading Since452s post it looks to me like a very positive and also honest comment, acknowledging that HMcK’s apparent victory over a major health issue trumps all previous comments. Credit where it’s due don’t you think?

HoboHarry
03-01-2024, 06:51 PM
Reading Since452s post it looks to me like a very positive and also honest comment, acknowledging that HMcK’s apparent victory over a major health issue trumps all previous comments. Credit where it’s due don’t you think?
Not trying to speak for the poster abut I think he means the dig at Hibs, not McKirdy.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2024, 06:54 PM

“He may find it harder this season in a team that creates little compared to last season” was yet another wee dig at Montgomery and the way we are currently playing whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that we’ve scored more goals than at this point last season.

Anyway, won’t take the thread of track any further. Whatever any opinion on ability or whatever, I think everyone recognises what has happened to him and that was reflected in the reception he got yesterday.

hibee-boys
03-01-2024, 07:14 PM
Saving his machine gun celebration for the winner in the cup final in May……you read it here first😂

Colr
03-01-2024, 09:14 PM
People were saying that about Tavares recently too. Happy to see what NM can get out of him…

It will be interesting to see that. I felt he ran around a lot in Lee’s system but to little effect. He was rather dependent on someone else playing the killer ball through to him but created little himself….a bit like Bryan Gil for Spurs.

Malonga's Cat
03-01-2024, 09:28 PM
Great to see Harry back. Like a new signing really with a clean slate under NM. Nothing but good wishes for a guy who's been through a big op.

LeithMike
03-01-2024, 10:01 PM
Good to see him back. From what I saw last season he is desperate to play and contribute and make himself a success. Don’t think LJ gave him a fair go and always played him out of position and he ended up trying too hard.

Hopefully he has matured through the adversity he has been through and NM gets him focused. If so, he could bring a lot of spirit and endeavour which we seem to be lacking at the moment.

I also think once he hits the goal trail he will relax and he will show he is a good finisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
04-01-2024, 07:55 AM
Absolutely in the clean slate camp, but with decidedly low expectations. Better needed all over the pitch.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 09:35 AM
You don't play for Aston Villa and score goals for fun in any English league, including against Man City in the cup if you don't have a bit about you. I fully expect him to come good if used properly and that's a big IF. I was buzzing when we signed him, he's a character if he starts scoring the goals will be a massive fans favourite.

Basildon Hibs
04-01-2024, 09:44 AM

Correct. He's not really very good....

marinello59
04-01-2024, 10:23 AM

On a thread clearly started to offer support to a player making a return to football after a serious health scare that is about as nasty and small minded as it gets. Sad stuff.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2024, 10:40 AM
You don't play for Aston Villa and score goals for fun in any English league, including against Man City in the cup if you don't have a bit about you. I fully expect him to come good if used properly and that's a big IF. I was buzzing when we signed him, he's a character if he starts scoring the goals will be a massive fans favourite.

Maybe he can be the one to drop deep and link the play, letting Vente get into the box.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Maybe he can be the one to drop deep and link the play, letting Vente get into the box.

Personally don't even understand why we need someone dropping deep to link up the play, we need to play higher up the park, you can play with 2 out and out strikers playing off each other, what vente is doing is a nonsense imo. We either play with 3 midfielders and 1 striker, or we play with 2 midfielders and 2 strikers. Vente shouldn't be doing a midfielders job, if that's what Monty wants just play Jeggo and move Levitt up one. Honestly not sure what he's upto.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2024, 10:59 AM
Personally don't even understand why we need someone dropping deep to link up the play, we need to play higher up the park, you can play with 2 out and out strikers playing off each other, what vente is doing is a nonsense imo. We either play with 3 midfielders and 1 striker, or we play with 2 midfielders and 2 strikers. Vente shouldn't be doing a midfielders job, if that's what Monty wants just play Jeggo and move Levitt up one. Honestly not sure what he's upto.

It's because we play Newell & Levitt so deep, and Monty wants to pass through the opposition. If we were playing more direct then there wouldn't be much need for it.

Since452
04-01-2024, 11:07 AM

Wow! Not sure what I said that was a stupid dig to be honest

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 12:41 PM
It's because we play Newell & Levitt so deep, and Monty wants to pass through the opposition. If we were playing more direct then there wouldn't be much need for it.

So surely you play someone that is naturally a link man or number 10, not a goalscorer coming deep, that's the bit I can't wrap my head around, surely your best finisher should be in the box getting on the end of things not coming deep? If someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful but I just can't see why he's doing it with Vente.

JasonC1875
04-01-2024, 12:58 PM
So surely you play someone that is naturally a link man or number 10, not a goalscorer coming deep, that's the bit I can't wrap my head around, surely your best finisher should be in the box getting on the end of things not coming deep? If someone could explain it to me I'd be grateful but I just can't see why he's doing it with Vente.

Such as who?

Smartie
04-01-2024, 01:08 PM
Such as who?

I think Levitt's the obvious choice. Seemed to get goals at United, has great passing ability and a decent strike. He sort of glues the centre forward, the wide players, the deeper midfielders together, has an ability to control the ball well in tight areas. Doesn't do the best defending but you've got 2 deeper central midfielders to get through if he loses it up in the final third.

You then get Vente playing on the shoulder of the last defender and sniffing chances out around the box.

Whether he's considered to be an attacking midfielder in a 4231/ 433 / 451 or a striker dropping off in a 442 is a moot point.

I guess it'a all about whether you want Levitt, Vente or Campbell's skill set for that position but for me it would be Levitt's.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 01:32 PM
I think Levitt's the obvious choice. Seemed to get goals at United, has great passing ability and a decent strike. He sort of glues the centre forward, the wide players, the deeper midfielders together, has an ability to control the ball well in tight areas. Doesn't do the best defending but you've got 2 deeper central midfielders to get through if he loses it up in the final third.

You then get Vente playing on the shoulder of the last defender and sniffing chances out around the box.

Whether he's considered to be an attacking midfielder in a 4231/ 433 / 451 or a striker dropping off in a 442 is a moot point.

I guess it'a all about whether you want Levitt, Vente or Campbell's skill set for that position but for me it would be Levitt's.

Totally agree, our strikers should be going towards the goal not away from it, Levitt or Campbell the obvious choices for this role for me like.

One Day
04-01-2024, 02:40 PM
Good to see him back fit. Hope he can kick on and score a few goals.

MKHIBEE
04-01-2024, 04:26 PM
Wow! Not sure what I said that was a stupid dig to be honest

it was uncalled for and unnecessary on a thread that was welcoming him back to action.

HFC93
04-01-2024, 04:28 PM
Weird to see posters analysing whether he's good enough etc after he has just come back from heart surgery. Give the lad a break.

worcesterhibby
04-01-2024, 04:38 PM
I have no idea why, but I'm still convinced that Harry will end up being a cult hero at ER. Great to see him back fit and playing again...great to have a radge in the team :greengrin

hibsbollah
04-01-2024, 04:40 PM
it was uncalled for and unnecessary on a thread that was welcoming him back to action.

Its kind of par, for this particular course, unfortunately.

whiskyhibby
04-01-2024, 04:42 PM

:troll:

JasonC1875
04-01-2024, 04:51 PM
I have no idea why, but I'm still convinced that Harry will end up being a cult hero at ER. Great to see him back fit and playing again...great to have a radge in the team :greengrin

100% hoping for this too, can’t help but want him to come good. Him being back is like a new signing as we’ve no idea how his health impacted him last year

Ship of Hope
04-01-2024, 04:53 PM
Totally agree, our strikers should be going towards the goal not away from it, Levitt or Campbell the obvious choices for this role for me like.

I think Tavares could be a good shout for second striker /no.10. Tracks back and is quite good defensively. Seems to have a trick or two and gets his head up for a pass. Also has a decent shot and quite composed in front goal. Could free up vente to stay further up field whilst also letting youan play on the left which I feel is his strongest position. Boyle on right.

Keith_M
04-01-2024, 06:13 PM
He's obviously been through a difficult experience so delighted to see he's fit and healthy again.

Since452
04-01-2024, 06:43 PM

What was uncalled for exactly?

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2024, 07:54 PM
Could be a washout, could be a much loved cult figure. Anybody who thinks he doesn’t deserve a clean slate after the impact on several other players of potential who were similarly written off, frankly need their heads examined.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 08:30 PM
I think Tavares could be a good shout for second striker /no.10. Tracks back and is quite good defensively. Seems to have a trick or two and gets his head up for a pass. Also has a decent shot and quite composed in front goal. Could free up vente to stay further up field whilst also letting youan play on the left which I feel is his strongest position. Boyle on right.

I wouldn't be against trying it, he's got ability with the ball at his feet, and he looks like Latapy so why not.

Gmack7
04-01-2024, 08:55 PM

A few in our group have been talking about this for a few weeks now, definitely worth a try

MrRobot
04-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Weird to see posters analysing whether he's good enough etc after he has just come back from heart surgery. Give the lad a break.

:agree:

a thread praising his return and hoping to see him kick on has somehow attracted stupid comments about getting him out as quickly as possible and slagging his ability.

guy deserves a fresh start with us; he was playing with a life threatening heart condition under an absolute clown of a manager.

mutley
05-01-2024, 01:19 AM

a thread praising his return and hoping to see him kick on has somehow attracted stupid comments about getting him out as quickly as possible and slagging his ability.

guy deserves a fresh start with us; he was playing with a life threatening heart condition under an absolute clown of a manager.

This 100%. Look at the difference in Jair for example. Let’s see what NM can get out of him before sending him to the scrap heap.
He may come on leaps and bounds, he may be utter toss. Bit for me he gets a chance

MKHIBEE
05-01-2024, 05:02 AM
What was uncalled for exactly?

Really? You have to ask? A hibs player returns after a serious illness and you would be happy to get rid of him as soon as possible in January? On a welcome back thread? Even some Jambos would do better than that

Hibrandenburg
05-01-2024, 06:13 AM

It's almost as if some Hibs supporters don't support Hibs.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2024, 06:41 AM
It's almost as if some Hibs supporters don't support Hibs.

Well Abe Lincoln was just tweeting the other day about not believing everything that goes on the internet :)

Hibrandenburg
05-01-2024, 06:43 AM
Well Abe Lincoln was just tweeting the other day about not believing everything that goes on the internet :)

I used to follow him but he just stopped tweeting all of a sudden.

CentreLine
05-01-2024, 07:14 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hes-a-warrior-harry-mckirdy-wins-admiration-of-hibs-team-mates-after-heart-surgery-recovery-4465392

hibsbollah
05-01-2024, 09:04 AM
I used to follow him but he just stopped tweeting all of a sudden.

Lord Lucan's TikTok. Same. Bad vibes.

WeeRussell
05-01-2024, 07:39 PM
Really? You have to ask? A hibs player returns after a serious illness and you would be happy to get rid of him as soon as possible in January? On a welcome back thread? Even some Jambos would do better than that

To be fair it wasn’t that poster who came out with the above. He was only guilty of using the thread for the usual thinly veiled and bordering on bizarrely obsessive “we were far better under Lee Johnson” dig.

Anyhoo - been a tough spell for Harry. Being back around the squad must give him a lift. Hopefully some positive times ahead for the lad and Hibs.

HoboHarry
05-01-2024, 07:41 PM
He said that some of what went on was a shot in the dark....

Ronniekirk
05-01-2024, 07:47 PM
It’s good news for Harry,but he is just back from a serious heath scare so it’s going to take time for him to get up to speed with hopefully no adverse reaction when he is pushing to get to full fitness
I think done fans look at his track record here to date and no goals scored
In that regard it remains to be seen if Monty can kick start his career here again and get him scoring He certainly ly brings energy enthusiasm and commitment
But expect he will be coming off the bench to begin with and we see what he can do between then and end of season

Paul1642
05-01-2024, 08:03 PM
I’m back to where I was when he first signed in terms of having quite high hopes for him. He was signed because the ability is there.

Everyone gets a clean slate under a new manager and the medical issue gives even more reason he gets a fresh start. We just don’t know how much it was or was not affecting his performances before being diagnosed.

His comeback has come at a good time, getting some match minutes under his belt followed by the training camp. Hoping to see him feature vs Forfar.