PDA

View Full Version : Servette v Hibs friendly 12th of January

Pages : [1] 2

ruthven_raiders
01-01-2024, 06:07 PM
Wonder if we will have one or two signings in for this game, hope so! Think this game is to be played in UAE.

Fanforlife
01-01-2024, 06:33 PM
Wonder if we will have one or two signings in for this game, hope so! Think this game is to be played in UAE.winter training camp in dubai so game probably uae right enough.

Carheenlea
01-01-2024, 06:40 PM
If we’re splashing out on training camps in Dubai then you’ve got to assume that there’s cash there for some first team ready incomings this window.

Maybe they know the Foley deal is as good as done and this training camp to an expensive part of the world is a reflection of that.

Brooster
01-01-2024, 06:56 PM
I think the Dubai training camp and the 2 friendlies were arranged long before Foley came on the scene.

Personally I'd have them at East Mains rather than an expensive and pampered trip to Dubai.

Trinity Hibee
01-01-2024, 07:13 PM
A winter trip away is something I’ve never understood. Must cost the club a large amount of money.

hhibs
01-01-2024, 07:15 PM
I think the Dubai training camp and the 2 friendlies were arranged long before Foley came on the scene.

Personally I'd have them at East Mains rather than an expensive and pampered trip to Dubai.

Yep that is my thought too.

Paul1642
01-01-2024, 07:42 PM
A winter trip away is something I’ve never understood. Must cost the club a large amount of money.

I almost feel like it’s more for player morale and a wee deal sweeter for signing players than football benefits. If they’re playing European football and international football some players hardly get an opportunity for a foreign holiday. A wee trip abroad with the club will be much more enjoyable for them than hanging around Ormiston in the cold and rain.

If for example Hibs and Aberdeen were both after the same foreign player, and Hibs were going abroad twice a year and Aberdeen were not, that could easily be the deal maker.

monarch
01-01-2024, 07:47 PM
I almost feel like it’s more for player morale and a wee deal sweeter for signing players than football benefits. If they’re playing European football and international football some players hardly get an opportunity for a foreign holiday. A wee trip abroad with the club will be much more enjoyable for them than hanging around Ormiston in the cold and rain.

If for example Hibs and Aberdeen were both after the same foreign player, and Hibs were going abroad twice a year and Aberdeen were not, that could easily be the deal maker.
I think wages would be the deal maker.

Up-the-slope
01-01-2024, 07:57 PM
i get player morale / team bonding / 247 time etc... BUT having gone a few times in late October to South East Asia and back the acclimatisation both ways to heat and then cold takes ages... stepping of a plane from Dubai to it blizzarding snow in Glasgow was a shock and took a few days to get regulated... same as on way out when landing in 30oC+... that must have negative effect when returning to January Scotland

Fanforlife
01-01-2024, 08:37 PM
i get player morale / team bonding / 247 time etc... BUT having gone a few times in late October to South East Asia and back the acclimatisation both ways to heat and then cold takes ages... stepping of a plane from Dubai to it blizzarding snow in Glasgow was a shock and took a few days to get regulated... same as on way out when landing in 30oC+... that must have negative effect when returning to January Scotland

Surely back well before first game? If so why question re-aclimatising.

Up-the-slope
01-01-2024, 09:16 PM
Surely back well before first game? If so why question re-aclimatising.

Because it can take days... and even if they can learn to pass with perfection to a team mate in UAE.. not the real world of windy blizzard at a lower league ground in scottish cup etc that they need to do it in :dunno:

Nicho87
01-01-2024, 09:37 PM
Another nice cosy training camp for the squad.

Get them down portobello beach man.

Glory Lurker
01-01-2024, 10:20 PM
Hopefully we'll hit them for nap kins.

Diclonius
01-01-2024, 11:34 PM
I take it this is closed doors?

Not In The Know
01-01-2024, 11:37 PM

I really thought we would have moved on from this by now.

Brooster
01-01-2024, 11:38 PM
I take it this is closed doors?

Servette isn't closed doors. Wolves is closed doors. That's the last I heard.

Itsnoteasy
02-01-2024, 12:31 AM

Dinnae talk p!5h.
Shall I sign for Hibs as I'll be able to top up ma tan. But Aberdeen are running on a cauld beach in the winter & have offered me £2 grand a week mare.
That's a tough one.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2024, 04:40 AM
Dinnae talk p!5h.
Shall I sign for Hibs as I'll be able to top up ma tan. But Aberdeen are running on a cauld beach in the winter & have offered me £2 grand a week mare.
That's a tough one.

aren’t the Dons jetting off to Florida or somewhere? They did last winter https://www.afc.co.uk/2022/08/26/dons-to-head-stateside-for-winter-break/

Greenbeard
02-01-2024, 06:55 AM
Because it can take days... and even if they can learn to pass with perfection to a team mate in UAE.. not the real world of windy blizzard at a lower league ground in scottish cup etc that they need to do it in :dunno:
By that reasoning you'll be against any sort of covered or indoor training pitch at EM then?
But I get your acclimatisation argument and the need for 2-3 days either end. Do we know for how long the squad is away?

SickBoy32
02-01-2024, 08:44 AM

Haha spot on, rewarding this squad of no hopers with a luxury trip to the Middle East feels a bit off IMO

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2024, 10:14 AM
Haha spot on, rewarding this squad of no hopers with a luxury trip to the Middle East feels a bit off IMO

“no hopers” is strange way to refer to a team you support no ?

Hibbyradge
02-01-2024, 10:52 AM

Agreed. Make them as miserable as possible.

That'll get the best out of them.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2024, 11:03 AM
I've often wondered if in it's own way 'warm weather training' is every bit as outdated and pseudo scientific as the 'get them doon Gullane' mentality. It seems to be based on little more than a belief that 'if you can run in Spain/Dubai/Florida then you can run in Scotland'. In terms of any scientific evidence to back it up, I've looked and I can't find much, particularly for short term periods.

There is certainly evidence that high altitude training and training in heat can be beneficial in things like increasing VO2 max and so on but usually over a period of several weeks and months and usually with a specific target goal in mind. There's far more data to back up the benefits of acclimatisation to the climate you are going to be performing in. A few days in Dubai probably isn't comparable to a game in Forfar on January 20th......Of course you have to factor in the argument about team morale and the psychological benefits of a break from the everyday and a change of scenery. In pure physiological terms though I think people massively overplay the benefits of a week or 10 days in Marbella or Dubai and I'd be surprised if that is the primary reason why we make the trips.

I'll add I have no issue with it, a few days of double sessions mixed with a bit of down time with the sun on their backs will probably be a positive experience for most of the players.

bingo70
02-01-2024, 11:04 AM

As much as I agree with you, I do wonder what these camps cost though. 30/40 people (?) going to stay in a nice complex in Dubai for a week wouldn’t be cheap.

Keith_M
02-01-2024, 11:06 AM
I was all excited, thinking I was gonna get another trip to Switzerland.

😞

Loopz
02-01-2024, 11:13 AM

That seems to be the players attitude towards the fans :wink: :greengrin

Hibbyradge
02-01-2024, 11:15 AM

:hilarious

:top marks

Billy Whizz
02-01-2024, 11:16 AM
Anyone on here heading out?
Not a cheap place to fly and stay for a bit of time

Mick O'Rourke
02-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Lenny took the squad to Dubai for a training camp.
Aberdeen and Celtic were there at the same time.
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-dubai-training-camp-pictures-15640371

Hibbyradge
02-01-2024, 12:16 PM
Where was this announced?

I've looked on the official site but I can't find anything about it.

Brooster
02-01-2024, 06:06 PM
Where was this announced?

I've looked on the official site but I can't find anything about it.

It hasn't been announced.

Hibbyradge
02-01-2024, 06:09 PM
It hasn't been announced.

Now I'm really confused! :hilarious

Pretty Boy
02-01-2024, 06:13 PM

A few sites are carrying the fixture (Flash score, Soccerway etc) but Hibs haven't officially announced it. Yet.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2024, 06:14 PM

It was word of mouth at an away game a few weeks ago, when I first heard about it
Still is I think

Green Man
02-01-2024, 06:17 PM
The club hasn’t announced anything but the squad are definitely going to Dubai.

Smartie
02-01-2024, 06:21 PM
It’s a jolly.

Pure and simple.

B.H.F.C
02-01-2024, 06:30 PM
The club hasn’t announced anything but the squad are definitely going to Dubai.

Chris Cadden was speaking about it in an interview and how he hopes to use it as a mini pre season and come back ready to go.

Joe6-2
02-01-2024, 06:39 PM

This, they certainly don’t deserve a trip to the heat!!

LewysGot2
04-01-2024, 05:45 PM
Announcement on social media tonight. Both games behind closed doors. Limited coverage whilst out there, too

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 05:51 PM
Announcement on social media tonight. Both games behind closed doors. Limited coverage whilst out there, too

Although Hibs never confirmed the trip, and getting in. Got to feel for supporters who may have booked flights etc
Not a cheap place to go too

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 05:57 PM
I can't believe our money is going towards these clowns having their second holiday in 6 months, the statement from the club is laughable , due to the climate it allows Nick Montgomery more time on the training pitch, we've got a training centre with floodlights, an indoor pitch, everything is there for them, could understand if it was back to the days of finding a public pitch, spoilt bunch of jessy's man, don't deserve it.

Blaster
04-01-2024, 06:01 PM
I can't believe our money is going towards these clowns having their second holiday in 6 months, the statement from the club is laughable , due to the climate it allows Nick Montgomery more time on the training pitch, we've got a training centre with floodlights, an indoor pitch, everything is there for them, could understand if it was back to the days of finding a public pitch, spoilt bunch of jessy's man, don't deserve it.

I think you need a wee break too mate. Your negativity is across every thread. You do make some valid arguments but jeezo it’s constant

greenlex
04-01-2024, 06:04 PM
FFS man it’s not a jolly. It’s outdoor training in a better climate and time to maybe recover from a fairly hectic schedule. it’s not a reward. You’re quick to point out in your opinion not working but would be happy to hinder it further. Take a break.

JammyDoidger
04-01-2024, 06:07 PM
I think you need a wee break too mate. Your negativity is across every thread. You do make some valid arguments but jeezo it’s constant

No wonder, phoning folk begging to renew season tickets but can take the squad, coaching staff, media team, and everything else that goes along with it away for 2 holidays in 6 months, yet say there's not much money for players, Not a good look, no wonder people get hacked off. But you're right tbh, I do need a break from it just now, this place just lets me vent sometimes, sorry for spreading my negativity.

bingo70
04-01-2024, 06:12 PM

We don’t have an indoor pitch? Certainly not one you could train the whole team on.

FWIW I’m not really a fan of this, I don’t know what it costs but it must cost a fair whack. IMO we would benefit more from that money going towards a players wages, even for a 6 month loan.

Hopefully it works though.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2024, 06:14 PM
“Pampered “no-hopers” and “clowns”.

we don’t need the Jambos we do it to ourselves… or do we?

Lago
04-01-2024, 06:15 PM
Although Hibs never confirmed the trip, and getting in. Got to feel for supporters who may have booked flights etc
Book a flight and accommodation to the middle east to try and watch Hibs play a couple of training matches, that's nuts.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Book a flight and accommodation to the middle east to try and watch Hibs play a couple of training matches, that's nuts.

Seriously if fans hadn’t known they could watch 2 games, a good number would have gone
Not for me though

Pretty Boy
04-01-2024, 06:25 PM

Hopefully if there are a few who are already committed to going over then Hibs will let them take in the games if they make contact. I can't imagine it will be more than a couple of dozen and it will be the same faces who go everywhere to support the club.

JimBHibees
04-01-2024, 06:43 PM

We don't have an indoor pitch. Makes sense at this time of the year to go to a more palatable climate for training.

B.H.F.C
04-01-2024, 06:48 PM

Hope Hibs can get anyone booked up in to the games, I’ll no be feeling too bad for anyone that is getting away for a wee week in Dubai in January though!

Alex Trager
04-01-2024, 06:55 PM

We’ve not got an indoor pitch that would fit the full squad training.

Lots of people are against using Foley’s money for more upgrades at HTC which apparently includes a full sized indoor pitch, but hopefully if we get one then there will be no more need to head away for trips like these.

JimBHibees
04-01-2024, 06:55 PM

Would some fans be heading to Dubai to watch the players train?

whiskyhibby
04-01-2024, 06:56 PM

:na na::troll::kbacker:

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2024, 07:21 PM

Not nuts, some wanted to take in the matches. I was told there would be no fans allowed in to Wolves game, at Wolves request, so decided not to bother. There is also a Dubai supporter's club too

Billy Whizz
04-01-2024, 07:33 PM
Not nuts, some wanted to take in the matches. I was told there would be no fans allowed in to Wolves game, at Wolves request, so decided not to bother. There is also a Dubai supporter's club too

Of course it’s not nuts. Supporters like you will do anything to see a Hibs game
Good on you all

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2024, 07:40 PM
Of course it’s not nuts. Supporters like you will do anything to see a Hibs game
Good on you all

Cheers Billy:aok:

Lago
04-01-2024, 07:44 PM
Good on you all
It's not a competitive game so training matches and maybe Montgomery wants some aspects of the training to remain within the camp.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 07:46 PM
It's not a competitive game so training matches and maybe Montgomery wants some aspects of the training to remain within the camp.

Hopefully with a handful of possible loanees or permanent signings involved.

overdrive
04-01-2024, 07:53 PM
Hopefully with a handful of possible loanees or permanent signings involved.

Hopefully trying out a new formation and different tactics.

overdrive
04-01-2024, 08:02 PM
We’ve not got an indoor pitch that would fit the full squad training.

Lots of people are against using Foley’s money for more upgrades at HTC which apparently includes a full sized indoor pitch, but hopefully if we get one then there will be no more need to head away for trips like these.

I bet they will still go on these trips even once a full size indoor pitch is built. These jollies seem to be the done thing these days. I wonder if we might coordinate the summer camp with Bournemouth. We ended up in a similar place last year anyway.

Alex Trager
04-01-2024, 08:03 PM
I bet they will still go on these trips even once a full size indoor pitch is built. These jollies seem to be the done thing these days. I wonder if we might coordinate the summer camp with Bournemouth. We ended up in a similar place last year anyway.

Perhaps they will.

As you say they seem to be the done thing.

With the facilities here though, I hope they curb them and invest in the team.

greenlex
04-01-2024, 08:14 PM

I remember Collins taking the team on a “Jolly” the week prior to thumping Killie in the league cup final 2007.

Jones28
04-01-2024, 08:17 PM
I remember Collins taking the team on a “Jolly” the week prior to thumping Killie in the league cup final 2007.

That’s the first time I remember seeing Hibs on one of these things.

Fenlon took the squad to Dublin before that cup final.

oneone73
04-01-2024, 08:21 PM
That’s the first time I remember seeing Hibs on one of these things.

Fenlon took the squad to Dublin before that cup final.

McLeish took them to the Caribbean.

bingo70
04-01-2024, 08:27 PM
Anybody able to make an estimate as to what this will cost? 25/30 people (including club officials, medical staff etc) at £2k a head sound about right?

Hope the players been selling football cards and done a last man standing to raise funds.

et_hibby
04-01-2024, 08:58 PM

Quality 👍

Greenio
05-01-2024, 03:54 AM
What makes people think they are 'jollies'? It's work, aye, it's in a hot place, but no doubt this makes for better training conditions as opposed to the bleak and harsh Scottish winter. Added bonus of team bonding, morale boost, time to sit down together and assess what's gone/plans for what's coming.

No issue with that costing money to do.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2024, 04:31 AM
What makes people think they are 'jollies'? It's work, aye, it's in a hot place, but no doubt this makes for better training conditions as opposed to the bleak and harsh Scottish winter. Added bonus of team bonding, morale boost, time to sit down together and assess what's gone/plans for what's coming.

I suspect even if extensive research showed that there was huge benefits folks would find a way to object.

* for example - anyone suffer from Seasonal Adjustment disorder? well from experience I know that folks from warmer climbs struggle with that - it’s not a wet windy day in Stenhousemuir - it’s the lack of light that can impact folks welllbeing — and therefore performance.

Hibrandenburg
05-01-2024, 06:18 AM
I was all excited, thinking I was gonna get another trip to Switzerland.

😞

You're geometry hasn't improved since school then. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2024, 06:34 AM

There’s a big assumption here (reasonable mind) that the club are paying for this. What if a sponsor(s) or the Gordon’s were paying out of their own pockets?

Alex Trager
05-01-2024, 09:13 AM
It seems a bit counter intuitive to ban B7 from using certain display materials on an environmental basis to then fly the whole squad to Dubai for a week or so’s training when that could be done domestically.

TrinityHFC
05-01-2024, 09:56 AM
It seems a bit counter intuitive to ban B7 from using certain display materials on an environmental basis to then fly the whole squad to Dubai for a week or so’s training when that could be done domestically.

A bit of a daft comparison really.

Training is a key part of performance and hopefully winning football games. Displays, not so much.

The same training can't be done locally at this time of the year - otherwise we'd do it here. Warm weather training is accepted across all sorts of sports as being beneficial, especially in climates where being outside for extended periods of time becomes uncomfortable.

If we want to work through hours of tactical shaping - of course being able to do that without the howling wind and rain is going to work much better. We also get the opportunity to pick up games with other teams with much easier logistics. The travelling done by those teams or us to them, travelling to training every day by cars. If the environment is really troubling you then perhaps the wider view of what we aren't going to be doing here that we normally would needs to be balanced off.

gorgie greens
08-01-2024, 06:27 PM
Hi ,does anyone know anyone going ,might do a 4 night job leaving Thursday

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-01-2024, 07:32 PM
A bit of a daft comparison really.

Training is a key part of performance and hopefully winning football games. Displays, not so much.

The same training can't be done locally at this time of the year - otherwise we'd do it here. Warm weather training is accepted across all sorts of sports as being beneficial, especially in climates where being outside for extended periods of time becomes uncomfortable.

If we want to work through hours of tactical shaping - of course being able to do that without the howling wind and rain is going to work much better. We also get the opportunity to pick up games with other teams with much easier logistics. The travelling done by those teams or us to them, travelling to training every day by cars. If the environment is really troubling you then perhaps the wider view of what we aren't going to be doing here that we normally would needs to be balanced off.

Perhaps training in the howling wind and rain will help the players acclimatise to the weather they are likely to encounter on a match day. 🤔😊

Since452
08-01-2024, 07:39 PM
"Greenest club in Scotland" flying off to Dubai for a kick about. Couldn't make it up. Does Kensell need to top up his tan?

flash
08-01-2024, 07:44 PM
"Greenest club in Scotland" flying off to Dubai for a kick about. Couldn't make it up. Does Kensell need to top up his tan?

Look at me! Look at me!

greenlex
08-01-2024, 07:45 PM
Look at me! Look at me!
It’s like an unflushable jobbie. Just won’t go away.

Lancs Harp
08-01-2024, 07:49 PM

Flying out on a balsa wood plane powered by a rubber band.

Smartie
09-01-2024, 10:53 AM

FWIW, I think this (entirely non-essential) trip flying in the face of our green club claims is a perfectly valid one to be making.

Greenio
09-01-2024, 11:04 AM
FWIW, I think this (entirely non-essential) trip flying in the face of our green club claims is a perfectly valid one to be making.

What was the last flight you took? Honestly now

Smartie
09-01-2024, 11:06 AM
What was the last flight you took? Honestly now

A year ago in October, a family trip to see relatives in Texas.

I'm fairly pragmatic about these things and I'm certainly not saying nobody to do with Hibs should fly anywhere, ever. I don't begrudge them their summer trip to Europe at all.

They maybe just need to stop banging on about green stuff, especially if they're going to cite it when refusing block 7 certain things if they're going to fly off on a January jolly.

On a personal basis, I'm not exactly an eco warrior but have implemented loads of sustainable measures at my work, which I reach either by walking or taking public transport. We have a family car (hard to do without one altogether with young kids but we do our best to minimise the avoidable short trips). I certainly go out of my way to avoid short flights now, if there are other, realistic options available. By doing the small, regular stuff well, I justify the very occasional bad thing like the trip to Texas (which might be a very reasonable response Hibs would make to my criticism of this trip).

TrinityHFC
09-01-2024, 11:17 AM

If the football department think it helps performance it isn’t non essential.

Being ‘green’ doesn’t mean avoiding doing anything. I suspect with travel like this we would take an option to offset.

Our players travel into training back and forward every day in cars. We maintain the training centre.

Using flights that are going up in the air anyway and saving on all that car travel every day, with the additional option of offsetting, I don’t think it is something that should stop us doing something that we feel is beneficial to the team’s performance.

Rumble de Thump
09-01-2024, 11:33 AM
A 'jolly' is a party or celebration. It doesn't mean working or work-related training.

Carheenlea
09-01-2024, 11:43 AM
Warm weather training camps in January are all well and good and there are merits for doing so, but I’d much rather we just cracked on with the football and got through the fixtures.

Has there been any good reason given why we play load of fixtures in December providing a financial headache for fans at the most expensive time of year, then pack up for a few weeks leaving fans to twiddle their thumbs and then return to playing Sat/Wed again for a few weeks to catch up?

Up-the-slope
09-01-2024, 11:46 AM
By that reasoning you'll be against any sort of covered or indoor training pitch at EM then?
But I get your acclimatisation argument and the need for 2-3 days either end. Do we know for how long the squad is away?

Nope so long as they can open the windows to make it cold enough :greengrin - actually would be all for full size indoor at EM (spend cash on that) so less need to be jetting off else where

When I first replied I was under impression trip was full length of winter break - actually looks more like just a week now. So less cost and planning for acclimatisation :aok:

Up-the-slope
09-01-2024, 11:48 AM
If the football department think it helps performance it isn’t non essential.

Being ‘green’ doesn’t mean avoiding doing anything. I suspect with travel like this we would take an option to offset.

Our players travel into training back and forward every day in cars. We maintain the training centre.

Using flights that are going up in the air anyway and saving on all that car travel every day, with the additional option of offsetting, I don’t think it is something that should stop us doing something that we feel is beneficial to the team’s performance.

Maybe plant a few thousand trees and big hedges at EM to deal with the horrific wind up there :greengrin

Trinity Hibee
09-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Warm weather training camps in January are all well and good and there are merits for doing so, but I’d much rather we just cracked on with the football and got through the fixtures.

Has there been any good reason given why we play load of fixtures in December providing a financial headache for fans at the most expensive time of year, then pack up for a few weeks leaving fans to twiddle their thumbs and then return to playing Sat/Wed again for a few weeks to catch up?

This is the bit that always get me. Loads of games in December just to get a couple of weeks off in January. The cold weather continues into mid-Feb so still plenty time for games to be postponed. Seems mad

Hibernian Verse
09-01-2024, 11:58 AM
Is it not to let pitches try to recover? No idea really.

SickBoy32
09-01-2024, 12:05 PM

Lower league pitches seem to cope alright, most games went ahead at the weekend just past.

I think it started when the OF wanted some glamour friendlies abroad a few January's ago?

The break is a total nonsense as others have said, piles up fixtures in December and we end up with loads of midweek fixtures in late winter / spring as a result.

Jones28
09-01-2024, 12:10 PM

Grass doesn't grow in January.

Well, it might under heat lamps but we haven't got enough to cover the whole pitch.

Hibernian Verse
09-01-2024, 12:10 PM
Lower league pitches seem to cope alright, most games went ahead at the weekend just past.

I think it started when the OF wanted some glamour friendlies abroad a few January's ago?

The break is a total nonsense as others have said, piles up fixtures in December and we end up with loads of midweek fixtures in late winter / spring as a result.

I wouldn't think it's to do with the ability to get games going ahead. More likely to do with the image of the game, e.g. playing on pig sty Dens on live Sky etc.

It's only two game weeks that you're losing it's not that big a deal. You're still going to feel a fixture pile up either way.

Hibernian Verse
09-01-2024, 12:11 PM

Well, it might under heat lamps but we haven't got enough to cover the whole pitch.

They are mobile?

JimBHibees
09-01-2024, 12:13 PM

Lower league pitches are mostly artificial.

SickBoy32
09-01-2024, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't think it's to do with the ability to get games going ahead. More likely to do with the image of the game, e.g. playing on pig sty Dens on live Sky etc.

It's only two game weeks that you're losing it's not that big a deal. You're still going to feel a fixture pile up either way.

So you're in favour of having 7 fixtures in December, with 2 league fixtures in January? I'd suggest that is a bit of an issue at what is a very expensive time of year for most folk.

With regards to your first point, I'm really no sure that we're going to be playing on bowling greens come February either.

SickBoy32
09-01-2024, 12:21 PM
Lower league pitches are mostly artificial.

I think 7/8 of the 10 pitches in the Champ are grass - and they all went ahead at the weekend just past.

Hibernian Verse
09-01-2024, 12:21 PM
So you're in favour of having 7 fixtures in December, with 2 league fixtures in January? I'd suggest that is a bit of an issue at what is a very expensive time of year for most folk.

With regards to your first point, I'm really no sure that we're going to be playing on bowling greens come February either.

I don't really care mate, I was just putting forward a potential reason why.

greenlex
09-01-2024, 02:57 PM
This is the bit that always get me. Loads of games in December just to get a couple of weeks off in January. The cold weather continues into mid-Feb so still plenty time for games to be postponed. Seems mad

Then chuck in two games a week when we return it’s is and always has been bonkers.

Paul1642
09-01-2024, 05:09 PM

Puts to bed the qualms about is flying to Dubai. We are saving the earth by going there instead of running 50 heat lamps 10 hours a day 😬

09-01-2024, 05:33 PM
They are mobile?

Training drill to play it out from the back and reach the oppostion box faster than the lamps. 🤔

IanM
11-01-2024, 05:12 AM
Any idea if K.O time?

hibsforeurope
11-01-2024, 10:23 AM
does anyone know if these games in Dubai will be broadcast anywhere, youtube/Hibs TV?

Jones28
11-01-2024, 10:29 AM
They are mobile?

Yes but we don’t have enough to give them all enough time to grow the grass across the whole pitch.

overdrive
11-01-2024, 11:13 AM
does anyone know if these games in Dubai will be broadcast anywhere, youtube/Hibs TV?

Think someone on this thread said that they were told by the club that they wouldn't be.

hibsforeurope
11-01-2024, 11:56 AM
Think someone on this thread said that they were told by the club that they wouldn't be.

Thanks, disappointing but understandable if we are looking to run the rule over some new players.

Brooster
12-01-2024, 07:18 AM

I'm not sure. Dubai are 4 hours ahead of us. I'm not sure if the Wolves game is going ahead, they now have an FA Cup replay early next week, maybe they didn't go to Dubai.

Bobo
12-01-2024, 09:02 AM
Any idea if K.O time?

KO is at 11am our time.

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure. Dubai are 4 hours ahead of us. I'm not sure if the Wolves game is going ahead, they now have an FA Cup replay early next week, maybe they didn't go to Dubai.

Wolves are in Abu Dhabi

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 09:11 AM
KO is at 11am our time.
Serviette FC saying the game is at 1pm Swiss time, 12noon UK

https://x.com/servettefc/status/1745717567929680142?s=46&t=FHnJhTJB3lhW_lfnm2jGGg

nonshinyfinish
12-01-2024, 09:14 AM
KO is at 11am our time.

Serviette FC saying the game is at 1pm Swiss time, 12noon UK

https://x.com/servettefc/status/1745717567929680142?s=46&t=FHnJhTJB3lhW_lfnm2jGGg

Should be a good few goals up at half time then.

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 09:17 AM

There’s only one team in Dubai, one team in Dubai😀

NGoloGrantie
12-01-2024, 09:30 AM

Unfortunately not no, none of the media team are out in dubai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately not no, none of the media team are out in dubai

Unless servette put something up

Bobo
12-01-2024, 09:31 AM

:greengrin Live Score has it listed under multiple KO times so could be anything :confused:

Onceinawhile
12-01-2024, 09:45 AM
:greengrin Live Score has it listed under multiple KO times so could be anything :confused:

Just had a 15 minute to kick off reminder from them.

Who knows.

Better beat these maroon clowns.

Hibby Bairn
12-01-2024, 10:28 AM

I remember when I'd be on holiday and need to wait until Monday to get a Sunday Mail to find out the results from the Saturday. As for friendlies, sometimes they wouldn't appear in the Daily Record for 2 or 3 days and usually in tiny print in a corner of the page.

Gave me a couple more days enjoyment on holiday before seeing the Hibs result 🙂.

BILLYHIBS
12-01-2024, 10:40 AM
Game kicks off 12 noon according to Flashscore

04Sauzee
12-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Servette line up

https://i.ibb.co/xgNXNHY/20240112-131324.jpg (https://ibb.co/xgNXNHY)

RoxburghHibs
12-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Servette line up

https://i.ibb.co/xgNXNHY/20240112-131324.jpg (https://ibb.co/xgNXNHY)

With Scott is defence we should bang the goals in as he must be 45 at least :wink:

Saint Hibee
12-01-2024, 12:22 PM
Have we won yet?

JasonC1875
12-01-2024, 01:37 PM
5-1 Servette full time result.

ElginHibbie
12-01-2024, 01:39 PM

Monty out

04Sauzee
12-01-2024, 01:41 PM

Just seen that, dead as a club.

SteveHFC
12-01-2024, 01:41 PM

Season ticket returned to the ticket office.

leith lynx
12-01-2024, 01:46 PM

Tad embarrassing that.

AugustaHibs
12-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Whole Dubai trip seems like a complete joke. What a waste of money.

BS44
12-01-2024, 01:49 PM
There will be a buzz around the squad. They are a good bunch of lads who work hard and want to learn.

EdinMike
12-01-2024, 01:50 PM
I’d rather be beat 8-0 9-3 and 5-1 in pointless games… IF they can see the problems and fix the cracks. That’s their jobs after all.

Smartie
12-01-2024, 01:51 PM
I’d rather be beat 8-0 9-3 and 5-1 in pointless games… IF they can see the problems and fix the cracks. That’s their jobs after all.

Exactly.

The result in this game is possibly the least we need to concern ourselves with.

AugustaHibs
12-01-2024, 01:51 PM
There will be a buzz around the squad. They are a good bunch of lads who work hard and want to learn.

Majority are a bunch of jokers.

Really struggling to understand what pumping a few thousand into a trip to Dubai does?

Go from 25°c in Dubai to about -3°c in Forfar seems like terrible prep.

NGoloGrantie
12-01-2024, 01:52 PM
Would’ve of been a heavily rotated squad we put out as we play wolves tomorrow. Won’t be surprised if it was mostly full of our younger players. And saving our starters for the morn, a tougher challenge.

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 01:53 PM
Do we know anything about who played

Since452
12-01-2024, 01:53 PM
A friendly is a friendly but, and i'll no doubt get slaughtered again for speaking my mind, but where is the sense in lining up a game with a good team and getting scudded over in Dubai when our confidence is already pretty fragile? What do we take from that? Surely it would make more sense to play a "lesser" team so that the players can get used to Montgomery's tactics and shape that they've been working on? Getting pumped isn't good friendly or not.

HFC93
12-01-2024, 01:57 PM
Some absolute mental folk on here getting upset about a defeat in a closed door game.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2024, 01:59 PM
Some absolute mental folk on here getting upset about a defeat in a closed door game.

I'm not worried, these games are all about learning. :faf:

I'm wondering though just what we've learnt?

neil7908
12-01-2024, 02:01 PM

Yup. Completely bizarre. It's a mid season closed doors game. It's a chance to keep players fit, match sharp and check out some new players and those coming back from injury.

Can you imagine the reaction if we picked up a couple of injuries in a bounce game? Folk would be out for blood.

Brightside
12-01-2024, 02:01 PM

Ha! At least you are consistent.

Spudster
12-01-2024, 02:03 PM
A friendly is a friendly but, and i'll no doubt get slaughtered again for speaking my mind, but where is the sense in lining up a game with a good team and getting scudded over in Dubai when our confidence is already pretty fragile? What do we take from that? Surely it would make more sense to play a "lesser" team so that the players can get used to Montgomery's tactics and shape that they've been working on? Getting pumped isn't good friendly or not.

Thankfully the players are way less fragile than most supporters so this meaningless result will have zero bearing on their confidence.

Diclonius
12-01-2024, 02:04 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/1lss3k.jpg

Unseen work
12-01-2024, 02:07 PM
Honestly not bothered, even if we had won it wouldn’t have made a difference.

More than likely been doing double sessions since we’ve been out and this was used as fitness, give players minutes and work on our style.

Loads of 16-20 year olds over on the trip that would have got minutes.

Probably two different teams for each 45 with it split evenly amongst all players.

JammyDoidger
12-01-2024, 02:21 PM
Thankfully the players are way less fragile than most supporters so this meaningless result will have zero bearing on their confidence.

From what I've seen from these players id have to disagree, fragile is being kind to them.

BoyledEgg
12-01-2024, 02:25 PM
Would’ve of been a heavily rotated squad we put out as we play wolves tomorrow. Won’t be surprised if it was mostly full of our younger players. And saving our starters for the morn, a tougher challenge.

There is no game against Wolves tomorrow.

greenlex
12-01-2024, 02:27 PM
Your confidence is evidently fragile. Doesn’t mean the team or squad is. Take a break mate.

Hibernian Verse
12-01-2024, 02:33 PM
Majority are a bunch of jokers.

Really struggling to understand what pumping a few thousand into a trip to Dubai does?

Go from 25°c in Dubai to about -3°c in Forfar seems like terrible prep.

Does Forfar have an airport? Surely we aren't flying straight to the game.

Monty out if true - I'll not be back.

HendoDelivered
12-01-2024, 02:36 PM
If anyones is genuinely worried, bothered or concerned about a bounce/friendly game then it’s quite sad tbh 🤣

Rumble de Thump
12-01-2024, 02:36 PM
I have my doubts that people who usually work outdoors in Scotland will be able to adapt to working outdoors in Scotland.

FastEddieFelson
12-01-2024, 02:40 PM

:hilarious

JimBHibees
12-01-2024, 02:45 PM

:not worth

Cod Boy
12-01-2024, 02:48 PM
It’s all Lee Johnson’s fault 😀

Off the bar
12-01-2024, 02:53 PM
Is there a match report or even just stats who scored and when.

NthCarolinaHibs
12-01-2024, 03:05 PM
I've just thrown my scarf on the pitch after hearing this result..😡

delaCalz
12-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Translated from the Servette website:

Servette closes his camp in Dubai with a great 5-1 victory against the Scots Hibernian. Return to Geneva on Saturday.

A firework ! Here is how to present the first half of the Garnet who produced a magnificent performance this Friday against Hibernian.

After a good first part of the match, and despite the opponent's opening score, Bedia (2x), Rouiller, Antunes and Stevanovic score and give the Garnet four (!) lengths ahead before half-time. In the second period, the pace drops and the Servettians remain in control and master the leather. The Scots do not appear dangerous and the SFC obtains some good situations, notably a good strike from Samba Lele in an ideal position.

No further success will be recorded after tea and the match ends with a score of 5-1 for Servette FC. A good omen one week before the resumption of the championship which will take place next Saturday at the Schützenwiese against Winterthur. The Garnets will begin their last week of training this Tuesday in Geneva. Time for them to adapt to the change in temperature between the sun of Dubai and the gray of Geneva.

CapitalGreen
12-01-2024, 03:22 PM
Kept a clean sheet in the 2nd half 🥳

gegs70
12-01-2024, 03:29 PM
Ah well regardless of result it gives us a chance to look at the new prospects? I take it the trialists were playing? Still not a great result though.

JohnM1875
12-01-2024, 03:31 PM
It’s a shocker of a result friendly or not let’s be honest. Was a friendly for both teams, not just us. Definitely a good thing it wasn’t shown anywhere

Keepthefaith
12-01-2024, 03:39 PM
calm the ***** down lads eh? bunch of school kids on here. if we get beat by Forfar I'll come on here and admit you were right, but in the meantime go and make yourselves a lovely brew and think of your happy place.

Diclonius
12-01-2024, 03:39 PM

Servette closes his camp in Dubai with a great 5-1 victory against the Scots Hibernian. Return to Geneva on Saturday.

A firework ! Here is how to present the first half of the Garnet who produced a magnificent performance this Friday against Hibernian.

After a good first part of the match, and despite the opponent's opening score, Bedia (2x), Rouiller, Antunes and Stevanovic score and give the Garnet four (!) lengths ahead before half-time. In the second period, the pace drops and the Servettians remain in control and master the leather. The Scots do not appear dangerous and the SFC obtains some good situations, notably a good strike from Samba Lele in an ideal position.

No further success will be recorded after tea and the match ends with a score of 5-1 for Servette FC. A good omen one week before the resumption of the championship which will take place next Saturday at the Schützenwiese against Winterthur. The Garnets will begin their last week of training this Tuesday in Geneva. Time for them to adapt to the change in temperature between the sun of Dubai and the gray of Geneva.

Can they no just tell us who made the opening score

Shanksaidno
12-01-2024, 03:41 PM
It’s a shocker of a result friendly or not let’s be honest. Was a friendly for both teams, not just us. Definitely a good thing it wasn’t shown anywhere

Agree .. not great for building morale ... doesn't show any new potential signings in a good light either.. recent experiences as a Hibby dont show well to see a 5 1... Nick needs to get the finger out pdq

marinello59
12-01-2024, 03:45 PM

:agree:

Johnny_Leith
12-01-2024, 03:46 PM
Ah well regardless of result it gives us a chance to look at the new prospects? I take it the trialists were playing? Still not a great result though.

I believe moore (no 30) and Adryan (17) played. Pics on the Servette website. Also pics of vente, obita, Hanlon, Whittaker, Landers, Newell, jair, doidge, Stevenso and fish.

https://servettefc.ch/galeries/hibernian-servette-fc-1-5/

Rumble de Thump
12-01-2024, 03:46 PM
It's training behind closed doors. It was never going to be anything other than that. The players and the coaches will have got what they wanted from it.

B.H.F.C
12-01-2024, 03:50 PM
I generally disagree that friendlies, warm up games etc tell you nothing. In the summer, for instance, I thought some of the things in the early games made the start to the season no surprise whatsoever.

Context though, we more than likely had a mixed team out, a number of very young players etc. But at the end of the day, that’s the squad we have to work with. Friendly or not, shipping a number of goals is hardly a surprise.

The Captain....
12-01-2024, 03:54 PM
Can't say I'm particularly bothered about the result tbh. Don't expect much from these players. Its a waiting game until we can rebuild then I might be able to muster some enthusiasm again.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

greenlex
12-01-2024, 03:55 PM
I generally disagree that friendlies, warm up games etc tell you nothing. In the summer, for instance, I thought some of the things in the early games made the start to the season no surprise whatsoever.

Context though, we more than likely had a mixed team out, a number of very young players etc. But at the end of the day, that’s the squad we have to work with. Friendly or not, shipping a number of goals is hardly a surprise.

We pumped Arsenal last season. Just saying.

B.H.F.C
12-01-2024, 03:59 PM

Season before. Then we had as good a start to the season as we’ve had in a long time (before it all went a bit tits up for Ross) and got to a cup final.

I’m no sitting thinking it’s all doom because we lost a friendly but there are definitely things you can pick up from these games that can be an indicator on how things are looking.

KeithTheHibby
12-01-2024, 04:04 PM

Why?

brog
12-01-2024, 04:05 PM
calm the ***** down lads eh? bunch of school kids on here. if we get beat by Forfar I'll come on here and admit you were right, but in the meantime go and make yourselves a lovely brew and think of your happy place.

Agree completely. I gave myself a decent break from here. Come back and it's the same posters with the same negativity. I just don't get it I'm afraid.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2024, 04:07 PM

That was a great result, with some very decent performances from our players and the Arsenal keeper.

What are the plus points from a 5-1 defeat apart from the learning pish we hear every time we get pumped?

Do you not get the impression we do not learn very quickly?

basehibby
12-01-2024, 04:11 PM
Much as the result does not matter a jot, a 5-1 scudding is not an indication that the team is starting to click into gear and build understanding of the route to success within Monty's style.
The real stuff is what matters though so will wait with growing interest to see what unfolds over the next couple of weeks. Hoping to see an addition or two that will prove a positive influence in the 2nd half of the season.

Since90+2
12-01-2024, 04:13 PM
Losing 5-1 to a team you'd like to think are a comparable level to some degree to us is not great tbh.

Rumble de Thump
12-01-2024, 04:14 PM
Season before. Then we had as good a start to the season as we’ve had in a long time (before it all went a bit tits up for Ross) and got to a cup final.

I’m no sitting thinking it’s all doom because we lost a friendly but there are definitely things you can pick up from these games that can be an indicator on how things are looking.

Can't really pick up anything from a training session that we don't really have any information about and none of us watched.

Since90+2
12-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Can't really pick up anything from a training session that we don't really have any information about and none of us watched.

Well, apart from the scoreline, which was pretty emphatic.

And it wasn't a training session, it was a mid season friendly.

greenlex
12-01-2024, 04:19 PM
That was a great result, with some very decent performances from our players and the Arsenal keeper.

What are the plus points from a 5-1 defeat apart from the learning pish we hear every time we get pumped?

Do you not get the impression we do not learn very quickly?
My point was results really don’t mean anything. Mins on the pitch maybe working on stuff and putting it to the test against quality opposition isn’t the way to go. Maybe it is. Guys running clubs all over the world do it however so I reckon the pros outweigh the cons whoever you are. As has been said results in these type of games do not really matter.
I Don’t think taking a dozen off a local pub side is gonna do anything going forward.
Us fans are more concerned/delighted with results in these games than what is learned or not from them from the folk that matter.

04Sauzee
12-01-2024, 04:21 PM
https://i.ibb.co/1vCMfXf/20240112-171856.jpg (https://ibb.co/1vCMfXf)

https://i.ibb.co/BPdC27x/20240112-172019.jpg (https://ibb.co/BPdC27x)

Stubbsy90+2
12-01-2024, 04:23 PM
The Brazilian boy looks a wee fatty. Not convinced he’ll be match fit any time soon.

TimeForHeroes
12-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Being in Kent, this place has always been a god send to keep up with Hibs news and chat. Unfortunately, it's unbearable at the moment. Some real nutters/jambos/attention seekers clogging up every thread.

Bridge hibs
12-01-2024, 04:25 PM
Im gutted we lost this Dubai dribble but theres always a positive. Whilst crying on my Dubai balcony a sheikh shouted up and offered me 30 camels for my wife. I usually smoke Marlboro but who can resist an offer like that!

04Sauzee
12-01-2024, 04:26 PM
The Brazilian boy looks a wee fatty. Not convinced he’ll be match fit any time soon.

My fingers swell up when I go to a warmer climate, was hoping his whole body had swollen a little in the heat 😂

J-C
12-01-2024, 04:31 PM
https://i.ibb.co/1vCMfXf/20240112-171856.jpg (https://ibb.co/1vCMfXf)

https://i.ibb.co/BPdC27x/20240112-172019.jpg (https://ibb.co/BPdC27x)
Jeez Adryan looks fatter than Morelos, talk of him not being too professional in his career, we can see why.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2024, 04:41 PM
My point was results really don’t mean anything. Mins on the pitch maybe working on stuff and putting it to the test against quality opposition isn’t the way to go. Maybe it is. Guys running clubs all over the world do it however so I reckon the pros outweigh the cons whoever you are. As has been said results in these type of games do not really matter.
I Don’t think taking a dozen off a local pub side is gonna do anything going forward.
Us fans are more concerned/delighted with results in these games than what is learned or not from them from the folk that matter.

The result doesnt mean anything, but in the grand scheme of things, i cant see the positives of getting a pasting and shipping 5 goals, but maybe thats just me.

itslegaltender
12-01-2024, 04:43 PM
hibees with no 'Bevvy' sponsor. makes sense as to where they are playing I guess.

Brooster
12-01-2024, 04:44 PM
The Brazilian makes me look slim. Is this what our recruitment team are coming up with?

Also it doesn't look like closed doors to me, I know a few folk who will be a bit cheesed off at that.

Hermit Crab
12-01-2024, 04:45 PM
It was a friendly in extreme heat. Aye we got skelped but it's all about maintaining match fitness and giving fringe players and trialists minutes. The real work starts again a week on Saturday in Forfar.

TrinityHFC
12-01-2024, 04:46 PM
Our pre season games equally didn’t matter but plenty had things to say, especially the Bournemouth game where we took a bit of a doing. I suppose how excited you get depends on whether you’ve decided you hate the manager or not yet.

B.H.F.C
12-01-2024, 04:48 PM
The Brazilian makes me look slim. Is this what our recruitment team are coming up with?

Also it doesn't look like closed doors to me, I know a few folk who will be a bit cheesed off at that.

I find it a strange one. Right after the Motherwell game Montgomery spoke about us only signing players who could come in and go straight in to the team. Someone who has played very little football, not just lately but for years, doesn’t strike me as the type that is going to come in and make a quick impact, which is what we need.

JohnM1875
12-01-2024, 04:51 PM

He’s been out of football for the past few months for family reasons. Only back training in Dubai recently so, through contact, we thought we may as well get him in with us as we’re there as well. Confirmed by Monty in the latest video.

Billy Whizz
12-01-2024, 04:52 PM
I find it a strange one. Right after the Motherwell game Montgomery spoke about us only signing players who could come in and go straight in to the team. Someone who has played very little football, not just lately but for years, doesn’t strike me as the type that is going to come in and make a quick impact, which is what we need.

I’ll give home the benefit of doubt, it was either a strip too small for him, or a bad photo. If it was neither of these he shouldn’t have been anywhere near training, never mind playing

Hibs4185
12-01-2024, 04:56 PM

The Scots do not look dangerous.

Kind of sums up our season

KeithTheHibby
12-01-2024, 04:56 PM
It was a friendly in extreme heat. Aye we got skelped but it's all about maintaining match fitness and giving fringe players and trialists minutes. The real work starts again a week on Saturday in Forfar.

Well said. A few people on here should have a word with themselves talking utter Jimmy white.

Bridge hibs
12-01-2024, 04:57 PM
I find it a strange one. Right after the Motherwell game Montgomery spoke about us only signing players who could come in and go straight in to the team. Someone who has played very little football, not just lately but for years, doesn’t strike me as the type that is going to come in and make a quick impact, which is what we need.So thus far we havent announced any signings so he is correct up to now, he most likely wont have had the opportunity to see any potential signings on the pitch so no harm in looking

TrinityHFC
12-01-2024, 05:01 PM
He’s been out of football for the past few months for family reasons. Only back training in Dubai recently so, through contact, we thought we may as well get him in with us as we’re there as well. Confirmed by Monty in the latest video.

So we don’t have 4 or 5 to look at. We’ve the boy from Leeds and the Brazilian who happened to be training out there anyway.

I hope we’ve some other irons in the fire for the four starters Monty said he wants this window.

Johnny_Leith
12-01-2024, 05:02 PM

Must be eating a fairly high calorie surplus per day with minimal exercise to get in that kind of shape over the course of a couple months. Granted, not sure what his family situation is but you'd think pro athletes can maintain some kind of discipline when by themselves in terms of both diet and training.

JohnM1875
12-01-2024, 05:03 PM
So we don’t have 4 or 5 to look at. We’ve the boy from Leeds and the Brazilian who happened to be training out there anyway.

I hope we’ve some other irons in the fire for the four starters Monty said he wants this window.

Monty said hopefully one or two in the latest video, which isn’t great.

Brightside
12-01-2024, 05:05 PM

2 goalies

Hibees1973
12-01-2024, 05:30 PM
There is no game against Wolves tomorrow.

That's a relief.

bod
12-01-2024, 05:51 PM
I’ll give home the benefit of doubt, it was either a strip too small for him, or a bad photo. If it was neither of these he shouldn’t have been anywhere near training, never mind playing

I’m going with the strip being too small because all the erm bigger sizes have been bought by us larger fans

Unseen work
12-01-2024, 06:11 PM
I don’t think the Brazilian lad looks that overweight.

Clips of him look relatively similar to that photo, he won’t be match fit but doubt it would take him long to get upto speed.

Baldy Foghorn
12-01-2024, 06:20 PM

Clips of him look relatively similar to that photo, he won’t be match fit but doubt it would take him long to get upto speed.

Looks quite muscular

Since90+2
12-01-2024, 07:09 PM

Agreed. Don't see where all the comments about him being fat are coming from.

Iain G
12-01-2024, 09:27 PM

So we flew to Dubai but it's too hot there for us 😁

gegs70
12-01-2024, 11:53 PM
OK so he's down playing the training camp and the game. I wounder how well the trialists did - didn't sound like the Brazilian, Adryan was fit?

Gatecrasher
13-01-2024, 06:03 AM
Meaningless or not, it's not a good look getting heavily defeated like that and it can't do much good for a side already lacking in confidence and momentum.

Tambo
13-01-2024, 06:22 AM
The Scots do not look dangerous.

Kind of sums up our season

Made me chuckle, not a great result but some minutes in the legs. I'll start worrying if we have a bad window and are still struggling with performances and results.

Hibee_Craig7062
13-01-2024, 07:13 AM

I agree with most of this post but extreme heat???....its been mid 20s in the forecast all week. Its January not July

superfurryhibby
13-01-2024, 07:40 AM
I agree with most of this post but extreme heat???....its been mid 20s in the forecast all week. Its January not July

It would be a bit bizarre to spend all that money (how much, I wonder? At least £100,000? ) to fly to Dubai and then find it too hot to train.

The Brazilian, got to laugh really. I'm not sure he's fitting the Montgomery model of player and I very much doubt he's ever been in our manager's thoughts. It smacks of a January window scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Oh aye, 5-1. Friendly v or otherwise, that's a pretty gash result.

Chipper1875
13-01-2024, 07:45 AM
It would be a bit bizarre to spend all that money (how much, I wonder? At least £100,000? ) to fly to Dubai and then find it too hot to train.

The Brazilian, got to laugh really. I'm not sure he's fitting the Montgomery model of player and I very much doubt he's ever been in our manager's thoughts. It smacks of a January window scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Just listened to Montgomery interview. Said what players ready to impact and then said hard to get players we can afford on that category
, then references young lads who haven’t played first team fitba and players not played for months as don’t have a club . That’s the players he’s got in Dubai, which is totally against what he said he wants to sign

Bridge hibs
13-01-2024, 07:45 AM

Oh aye, 5-1. Friendly v or otherwise, that's a pretty gash result.The Brazilian may have been close to where we are training and his agent has asked hibs if they want to have a look at him, I don't see any harm in doing that and if he hasn't got it then he wont sign

As for the result, its a bounce game, think I will keep my powder dry for a while yet

Heisenberg
13-01-2024, 07:49 AM
Just listened to Montgomery interview. Said what players ready to impact and then said hard to get players we can afford on that category
, then references young lads who haven’t played first team fitba and players not played for months as don’t have a club . That’s the players he’s got in Dubai, which is totally against what he said he wants to sign

Yeah it doesn’t really add up with what he’s been talking about. Certainly don’t see any major change in our movements in the transfer market despite McDermott being in place.

He's here!
13-01-2024, 07:49 AM

It all ties in with the feeling of the club drifting aimlessly without a paddle.

Ardenttwo
13-01-2024, 07:52 AM
That's a relief.

Hibs don’t have enough players to play another game. Dear me what a state we are in.

Chipper1875
13-01-2024, 07:53 AM
Hibs don’t have enough players to play another game. Dear me what a state we are in.

You’d have thought would have know this before flew out to Dubai.

truehibernian
13-01-2024, 08:32 AM

Is it not because Wolves have an FA Cup replay on Tuesday and their Dubai plans were scuppered ?

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 08:39 AM
Is it not because Wolves have an FA Cup replay on Tuesday and their Dubai plans were scuppered ?

Montgomery said we didn’t have enough players to do the two games so just had to put two mixed teams out yesterday.

Stubbsy90+2
13-01-2024, 08:51 AM
Montgomery said we didn’t have enough players to do the two games so just had to put two mixed teams out yesterday.

That seems very strange. I wonder if we’ve had a few knocks? Would seem pretty amateur to get all the way out there and realise you’ve not got enough players to fulfill the games you’ve organised.

Brooster
13-01-2024, 08:58 AM
We are down to the bare bones, the fit players we have are mostly mediocre. We desperately need good, experienced players who will improve us.

We are making good money on the transfer front, had a good run in Europe and the LC yet we are still looking at untried 20 year old from other clubs.

I'm not overwhelmed.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-01-2024, 09:04 AM
Yeah it doesn’t really add up with what he’s been talking about. Certainly don’t see any major change in our movements in the transfer market despite McDermott being in place.

Would ALF have come to Hibs without McDermott ? I understand he put the days / nights to convince Vente to sign. Let’s see. There’s the plan and then opportunities that emerge as well as unfortunate events like the injuries we’ve seen - which may trump aspects of the plan.

GreenCastle
13-01-2024, 09:34 AM
That seems very strange. I wonder if we’ve had a few knocks? Would seem pretty amateur to get all the way out there and realise you’ve not got enough players to fulfill the games you’ve organised.

Hibs probably only had a budget for X players to travel and stay?

Can't be cheap to fly out and put everyone up in a hotel.

My concern is that quite a few of the players going on this trip won't even feature for us.

I can understand the trip if it was some new players to get them used to the squad but seems it's a patch work group of some current players - some returning from injury - a Leeds u21 player with zero experience in a -day team and some Brazilian who it seems we didn't even fully scout but he's just out in Dubai plus some youths.

Our bench last few games was weak and I know Boyle - Rocky - Miller are away on international duty but the lack of depth is worrying for 2nd half of the season.

Monty and the club will dress it up all they want saying it's positive etc but I'm pretty certain Monty will deep down be frustrated as he tries to improve us with limited players and a load he won't even play 2nd half of the season.

He's here!
13-01-2024, 09:35 AM

How many players did we take? Seems bizarre we don’t have enough fit ones to make up a team.

Perhaps the club just decided another gubbing in a friendly wouldn't be good for morale.

greenlex
13-01-2024, 09:39 AM
How many players did we take? Seems bizarre we don’t have enough fit ones to make up a team.

Perhaps the club just decided another gubbing in a friendly wouldn't be good for morale.

Or the ones coming back from injury weren’t ready or we decided not to risk them. Cadden McKirdy JDH etc. McKirdy got 45 mins yesterday for example. On top of double sessions all week it was probably enough.
Add in on top of that if the youngsters we took over or trialists couldn’t make a proper team shape etc it possibly wasn’t going to be that productive so didn’t bother.

GloryGlory
13-01-2024, 09:41 AM

Or perhaps the returning players like Mckirdy, JDH are not as far along the fitness road as hoped and the coaches decided that it would be too much to play the same players in another game a day later than the Servette game?

6-2MAGIC
13-01-2024, 09:54 AM
So we are getting an absolute nobody from Leeds with inexperience and a Brazilian, Adryan who has hardly played football consistently 😂😂 This club just keeps giving. Far too many fans that are just going along with it aswell in my opinion. Our recruitment is SHOCKING

GloryGlory
13-01-2024, 09:58 AM
So we are getting an absolute nobody from Leeds with inexperience and a Brazilian, Adryan who has hardly played football consistently 😂😂 This club just keeps giving. Far too many fans that are just going along with it aswell in my opinion. Our recruitment is SHOCKING

Neither has actually signed yet.

Bridge hibs
13-01-2024, 10:02 AM

Are we ? Must have missed those announcements, Im going have to scream and stamp my feet now 😆😆

scoopyboy
13-01-2024, 10:06 AM

That seems a bit harsh

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 10:46 AM
Or the ones coming back from injury weren’t ready or we decided not to risk them. Cadden McKirdy JDH etc. McKirdy got 45 mins yesterday for example. On top of double sessions all week it was probably enough.
Add in on top of that if the youngsters we took over or trialists couldn’t make a proper team shape etc it possibly wasn’t going to be that productive so didn’t bother.

That would be the more sensible and likely take on it but there is no point in pointing that out to the poster you have quoted.

It does show the state the squad is in just now and how desperate we are for at least a couple of proper, first pick players. We need to have an improved squad in time for the Rangers game.

KeithTheHibby
13-01-2024, 11:18 AM

Jesus, best go change those bed sheets of yours, they must be soaking.

gorgie greens
13-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Heard from a player that it was 3 sessions a day although Monty said 2 on tv

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 12:00 PM
We are down to the bare bones, the fit players we have are mostly mediocre. We desperately need good, experienced players who will improve us.

We are making good money on the transfer front, had a good run in Europe and the LC yet we are still looking at untried 20 year old from other clubs.

I'm not overwhelmed.

We have money from Melkerson sale. and a windfall coming our way for Doig to Marseille. Time to re-invest

Mrimbetween
13-01-2024, 12:39 PM
A bounce game it seems, means not a jot. The Wolves game will be the acid test

Scotty Leither
13-01-2024, 12:40 PM
Hibs probably only had a budget for X players to travel and stay?

Can't be cheap to fly out and put everyone up in a hotel.

My concern is that quite a few of the players going on this trip won't even feature for us.

I can understand the trip if it was some new players to get them used to the squad but seems it's a patch work group of some current players - some returning from injury - a Leeds u21 player with zero experience in a -day team and some Brazilian who it seems we didn't even fully scout but he's just out in Dubai plus some youths.

Our bench last few games was weak and I know Boyle - Rocky - Miller are away on international duty but the lack of depth is worrying for 2nd half of the season.

Monty and the club will dress it up all they want saying it's positive etc but I'm pretty certain Monty will deep down be frustrated as he tries to improve us with limited players and a load he won't even play 2nd half of the season.

He said last week regarding signings that he’s got to be careful not to bring in too many as it blocks the pathway to the first team for our younger players.

I’m paraphrasing him, but that was the gist of it. Sounded to me like it’s part of the softening-up process of priming the fans for yet another piss poor window, leaving us with the same group of players that have got us 6 league wins so far.

More PR guff in short, which is selling the fans and the manager short again. I personally don’t rate Montgomery and his obsession with passes and possession, but he’s fighting with one tied behind his back because of the inertia of those tasked with bringing players in.

Stubbsy90+2
13-01-2024, 12:52 PM
A bounce game it seems, means not a jot. The Wolves game will be the acid test

Cancelled. We don’t have enough players.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 01:24 PM

It was cancelled Monday, don't even know if Wolves travelled over

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 01:26 PM
He said last week regarding signings that he’s got to be careful not to bring in too many as it blocks the pathway to the first team for our younger players.

I’m paraphrasing him, but that was the gist of it. Sounded to me like it’s part of the softening-up process of priming the fans for yet another piss poor window, leaving us with the same group of players that have got us 6 league wins so far.

More PR guff in short, which is selling the fans and the manager short again. I personally don’t rate Montgomery and his obsession with passes and possession, but he’s fighting with one tied behind his back because of the inertia of those tasked with bringing players in.

We must have money to re-invest surely?:rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
13-01-2024, 01:31 PM
We must have money to re-invest surely?:rolleyes:

Given that we took in good fees for Nisbet and Melkersen, you would imagine that more than covered the incomers transfer fees, signing on fees etc (maybe not the wages tbf). Factor increased commercial revenue, monies from Europe and our League Cup run and you would have thought there was money available.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 01:34 PM
Given that we took in good fees for Nisbet and Melkersen, you would imagine that more than covered the incomers transfer fees, signing on fees etc (maybe not the wages tbf). Factor increased commercial revenue, monies from Europe and our League Cup run and you would have thought there was money available.

Indeed, with more incoming with Doig sell on

Brooster
13-01-2024, 01:43 PM

Is that right?

Chipper1875
13-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Is that right?

This is what manager said yesterday on video from Dubai

Trinity Hibee
13-01-2024, 01:49 PM

Jesus Christ

Billy Whizz
13-01-2024, 01:53 PM
We have money from Melkerson sale. and a windfall coming our way for Doig to Marseille. Time to re-invest

Think it’s our wage bill that will be high
Must 4/5 high earners now, and I mean high earners in Hibs terms
Think we could all name them

Scotty Leither
13-01-2024, 01:55 PM
Think it’s our wage bill that will be high
Must 4/5 high earners now, and I mean high earners in Hibs terms
Think we could all name them

…and the likes of Henderson and Delfrerrier on long deals. Joke.

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 02:04 PM
…and the likes of Henderson and Delfrerrier on long deals. Joke.

Delefierre getting a three year deal was properly baffling for me.

Brooster
13-01-2024, 02:10 PM

So we had circa 20 players yesterday but can't get a team for today? Absolute garbage. Wolves were in Dubai earlier in the week but flew home early because of the FA Cup tie.

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 02:15 PM
So we had circa 20 players yesterday but can't get a team for today? Absolute garbage. Wolves were in Dubai earlier in the week but flew home early because of the FA Cup tie.

Montgomery said we didn’t have enough players for two games so they gave two mixed teams 45 minutes each although some players had to play longer because of the numbers. He also said that wasn’t ideal following them doing double sessions each day.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Montgomery said we didn’t have enough players for two games so they gave two mixed teams 45 minutes each although some players had to play longer because of the numbers. He also said that wasn’t ideal following them doing double sessions each day.

Piss poor planning if so

Billy Whizz
13-01-2024, 02:17 PM
Delefierre getting a three year deal was properly baffling for me.

Only thing I can think on him, a team back home was sniffing around, and we think we may get a fee for him
He’s not even been on the bench much of late either

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 02:21 PM
Piss poor planning if so

If you think about the squad we had before we went it’s no too much of a surprise. There’s players out there like ALF who are training but still non contact. We are so depleted and we really, really need to do something about it before the real stuff starts again. Whatever anyone thinks of the manager, we’re not giving him a fair crack at it if we don’t.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 02:23 PM
If you think about the squad we had before we went it’s no too much of a surprise. There’s players out there like ALF who are training but still non contact. We are so depleted and we really, really need to do something about it before the real stuff starts again. Whatever anyone thinks of the manager, we’re not giving him a fair crack at it if we don’t.

True, however, to organise Friday/Saturday games after daily double training sessions, seems ambitious. Looks poor to me

B.H.F.C
13-01-2024, 02:25 PM
True, however, to organise Friday/Saturday games after daily double training sessions, seems ambitious. Looks poor to me

Would agree with that but training load may have been increased on the back of the fixture being cancelled I suppose.

Baldy Foghorn
13-01-2024, 02:26 PM
Would agree with that but training load may have been increased on the back of the fixture being cancelled I suppose.

Fair point

Chipper1875
13-01-2024, 02:32 PM

Not sure what you are getting at . Only repeating what the manager said on a video