PDA

View Full Version : Rocky isn't good enough

Latapy1911
27-12-2023, 09:33 PM
Never shows up for the Derby, poor decision making, bit slow

Time to find a solid replacement

neil7908
27-12-2023, 09:35 PM
Our two CBs are very young, especially as a pairing. How many teams play with a 20 and 24 year old in the centre of defence?

Its games like this where I think experience counts massively.

Hibs4185
27-12-2023, 09:36 PM
There is 5-6 players needing looked at before Rocky

VoltaireHibs
27-12-2023, 09:37 PM

Absolute heehaw.

Northernhibee
27-12-2023, 09:37 PM
Very good athlete but always has a catastrophic mistake in him. Sometimes it’s punished, sometimes it’s not.

skyehibee
27-12-2023, 09:39 PM
I thought he had a good game up until the crucial moment at the end.

Unseen work
27-12-2023, 09:40 PM
I thought he was playing Shankland really well.

And then the mistake came, which imo is inexcusable.

He’s 24 now, not a young boy. Between that mistake and the pen we just can’t be accepting that.

I always think there’s a what do hearts fans think about certain players. They’ll be delighted every time they see Rockys name as they know there’s a mistake there

Bring in a left sided centre half for balance and to play along with Fish. I’d actually be interested to see how Harbottle is too.

Miller needs a special mention too as he had about an 18% pass success rate tonight and I genuinely think that’s being generous

.Sean.
27-12-2023, 09:40 PM
He’s absolute ***** and a total bombscare as he’s proved once again with another brain fart. Stop accepting this crap, never in a million years is he good enough for us. He’s beyond criticism in the eyes of some, ‘Aw but but he played well for most of the game’ he’s just handed Hearts a last minute winner and they’ve beat us at Easter Road yet again. Garbage.

Silky
27-12-2023, 09:41 PM

There are many more games played than Derby's and he's showed up for a lot of these.

Chorley Hibee
27-12-2023, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to single out individuals, but the sad truth is that most of the players in a Hibs jersey aren't good enough.

It's why we are where we are, and it's why we lose more games than we win, particularly when it really matters.

I've no doubt that we'll overlook all these deficiencies, once again, in the January window.

Ozyhibby
27-12-2023, 09:43 PM
There are many more games played than Derby's and he's showed up for a lot of these.

Derby is just another game right enough.[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swedish hibee
27-12-2023, 09:43 PM
Rocky wasn't our main problem tonight

Unseen work
27-12-2023, 09:44 PM
Rocky was not our main problem tonight.

He was the difference though.

Swedish hibee
27-12-2023, 09:47 PM
He was the difference though.

The difference was we didn't score or look like scoring, infact we could still be playing now and we'd still not scored.

Heisenberg
27-12-2023, 09:48 PM
The difference was we didn't score or look like scoring, infact we could still be playing now and we'd still not scored.

Neither did Hearts till Rocky did his usual.

CapitalGreen
27-12-2023, 09:48 PM

You lose a game by conceding goals, not by failing to score. You can’t lose a game 0-0.

Gloucester Hibs
27-12-2023, 09:49 PM
I thought he had a good game up until the crucial moment at the end.

Alas that’s all that matters

skyehibee
27-12-2023, 09:50 PM
You lose a game by conceding goals, not by failing to score. You can’t lose a game 0-0.

Is that you Craig Levein?

NC1875
27-12-2023, 09:52 PM
A thread about Rocky ?

Campbell
Levitt
Miller
Boyle
Vente

All far worse than Rocky tonight

Unseen work
27-12-2023, 09:53 PM

The difference was our centre half couldn’t defend a punt up the park

Stokesy's on fire
27-12-2023, 09:53 PM
Shanklands done him witĥ a clever foul...hands all over rocky for that winner

Tyler Durden
27-12-2023, 09:54 PM
Why are people saying Rocky made one mistake?

He gave away a penalty aswell FFS!

I like him but he’s nowhere near good enough

Swedish hibee
A thread about Rocky ?

Campbell
Levitt
Miller
Boyle
Vente

Not allowed that opinion on here.

Silky
Derby is just another game right enough.[emoji849]

It depends on your outlook I think. You can still finish top 3 or 4 and not win a derby. You can finish bottom 6 and win them all. I've seen us lose so many over the years that it's hard to see it as anything different.

Ozyhibby
A thread about Rocky ?

Campbell
Levitt
Miller
Boyle
Vente

Ricky cost us the game tonight. No getting away from that.

Stanton Spence
He’s not the only one even though your right he’s just not good enough and never will be
He looked a bag of nerves from the start and had the hertz fans on the edge of their seats waiting on him to make an arse off things and he duly obliged

hibs4life
27-12-2023, 09:58 PM
Not allowed that opinion on here.
And yet, there it is in black and white...

Blaster
27-12-2023, 10:00 PM
Rocky wasn't our main problem tonight

He cost us a penalty and cost us the goal. You’re right apart from that he wasn’t our main concern

Add him and Miller to the not anywhere near good enough list

Hibs90
27-12-2023, 10:01 PM
That's the thing with Rocky, can be solid but always has that moment/mistake in him.

We need better.

JohnM1875
27-12-2023, 10:03 PM
Rocky was absolute fine. Made one mistake and they scored. Unfortunately happens if you’re a defender.

tamh
27-12-2023, 10:04 PM
He’s absolute ***** and a total bombscare as he’s proved once again with another brain fart. Stop accepting this crap, never in a million years is he good enough for us. He’s beyond criticism in the eyes of some, ‘Aw but but he played well for most of the game’ he’s just handed Hearts a last minute winner and they’ve beat us at Easter Road yet again. Garbage.

Total bomb scare 😱 hertz mates love it when they see his name on sheet

Stanton Spence
27-12-2023, 10:07 PM
Rocky was absolute fine. Made one mistake and they scored. Unfortunately happens if you’re a defender.

He also gave away a needless penalty? Why was his arm anywhere near the ball? It was stupid and careless and set the tone and the time he tried to carry the ball out from the back and he didn’t know what to do with the ball and almost got caught out when he turned into 3 hertz players and lost the ball

flash
27-12-2023, 10:09 PM

Pretty sure his ludicrous handball counts as a mistake too.

JohnM1875
27-12-2023, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure his ludicrous handball counts as a mistake too.

Genuinely didn’t see it at the game. As did no one around me, but if that’s the case fair enough.

JohnM1875
27-12-2023, 10:15 PM
He also gave away a needless penalty? Why was his arm anywhere near the ball? It was stupid and careless and set the tone and the time he tried to carry the ball out from the back and he didn’t know what to do with the ball and almost got caught out when he turned into 3 hertz players and lost the ball

Aye, I absolutely hate defenders who try to break lines and carry the ball out from the back…

It’s exactly what we needed more of. An option or two would be good once he’s moved forward

McGruber
27-12-2023, 10:16 PM
He was fouled and then it comes off Shanklands hand into his path. It could easily have been pulled back - he's not looking at the ball in, easy one to spot but we never got it. Having said that, absolute no excuse that he has allowed himself to be played like that. Long goal kick and he should be dominating that as a centre half - fouling Shankland in the process if necessary. Just weak

wookie70
27-12-2023, 10:19 PM
I thought Rocky was our best player tonight. His mistake certainly cost us teh game and having now seem the replay I realise he cost us a penalty too. However he probably passed the ball better than most and barring the goal looked totally untroubled. I've not seen the goal but it looked a foul to me and Shankland had push and barged him the whole game. So many players were worse than Rocky tonight and I thought a MOTM award was not required and Newell was pretty poor tonight.

Stanton Spence
27-12-2023, 10:20 PM
Aye, I absolutely hate defenders who try to break lines and carry the ball out from the back…

It’s exactly what we needed more of. An option or two would be good once he’s moved forward

He had ample opportunity to play the ball wide left but looked like he had forgotten how to pass a ball and ended up heading straight into two or three hertz players
I’m all for defenders carrying the ball forward and starting attacks etc but he’s just not good enough imo and looks so uncomfortable at times

jeffers
27-12-2023, 10:23 PM
He’s a total liability. Said it on another thread if Paul Hanlon made the mistakes Rocky made tonight he’d be getting absolutely slaughtered. Cost us two goals against Celtic as well.

hibsbollah
27-12-2023, 10:24 PM

I salute you for coming on here when lots of people are hurting, and trying to make an unpopular case, and youre also right. Rocky dominated Shankland for 91 minutes of that game. One mistake at the worst time but id rather have him in there that not. Id say unless we are replacing 7 or 8 first team players we keep him. We need midfield depth and straight replacements for 4 other first teamers before looking at Rocky. I thought Miller, Campbell and Levitt were all embarrassingly bad and i’d be reconsidering all threes futures with Hibs.

CapitalGreen
27-12-2023, 10:24 PM

There’s a reason he is able to carry the ball out from the back, opposition teams let him as they know he’ll do nothing with it.

LewysGot2
27-12-2023, 10:26 PM
There’s a reason he is able to carry the ball out from the back, opposition teams let him as they know he’ll do nothing with it.

Yup. They don't even bother to close him down.

Jones28
27-12-2023, 10:29 PM

Hyperbolic nonsense.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-12-2023, 10:29 PM
I wouldnt single out Rocky, despite his mistake. We lost that game as a team, management and players. All to blame.

Stokesy's on fire
27-12-2023, 10:30 PM
He was fouled and then it comes off Shanklands hand into his path. It could easily have been pulled back - he's not looking at the ball in, easy one to spot but we never got it. Having said that, absolute no excuse that he has allowed himself to be played like that. Long goal kick and he should be dominating that as a centre half - fouling Shankland in the process if necessary. Just weak

Its 100% a foul

Jones28
27-12-2023, 10:30 PM

They do. He’s a big lad and can get away from them. Ran in to trouble once tonight but only because he broke in to their half and no one was offering an out for him.

Gaffer1875
27-12-2023, 10:32 PM
Rocky and Miller ain’t good enough

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2023, 10:34 PM
Rocky played Shankland well tonight

Shankland had been pushing shoving and backing into our defenders all night putting them under pressure hoping for a mistake and unfortunately he got lucky with Rocky in the 93rd minute when he got the break of the ball

I think we could all see it coming

You cannot afford to miss penalties against Hearts and when presented with an open goal you have got to take it ( Vente )

Rocky was better than Miller Campbell and Levitt imo

Forza Fred
27-12-2023, 10:35 PM
I'm not going to single out individuals, but the sad truth is that most of the players in a Hibs jersey aren't good enough.

It's why we are where we are, and it's why we lose more games than we win, particularly when it really matters.

I've no doubt that we'll overlook all these deficiencies, once again, in the January window.

Agree with your first two paragraphs.

Will get back to you about the third one.

Scotty Leither
27-12-2023, 10:35 PM
If we had a midfield player that actually showed to take the ball off him in an advanced position, then Bushri bringing the ball out could actually work.

Not had a decent functioning, creative and dynamic midfield since 2017, so it’s not all the laddie’s fault.

We either can’t, or won’t put out the necessary cash to bring that kind of player in.

JohnM1875
27-12-2023, 10:36 PM

I’m sorry, but that’s just utter pish. Do you honestly think an opposition manager would tell their team, just let a player run by you up the pitch? Nonsense.

Rocky is quick and carries the ball well.

Roxyhibee
27-12-2023, 10:38 PM
He can have good games, especially when teams are punting high balls into our box - gets his head onto a lot in a season. But it’s in games like this, his weaknesses are pretty obvious (well they are to me). If we want to be top 3/4, definitely need a better standard of defender than Rocky surely.?

I know a last minute derby defeat leaves a very raw feeling and emotions run high from fans onto player performance but if you were asking me if any of that back 4 was good enough for a constant Europe placing Hibs side, I’d say no. I don’t care how young they are, I don’t see much progress in any of them and they will keep us mid table. It may be a lack of quality from the midfield or the system they play is putting them under pressure, I really don’t know. But that was a crap Hearts team coming to Easter Road and beating us. And if that same back 4 are put on the park in the next derby, I’ll be very surprised if we don’t lose in similar fashion.

Brooster
27-12-2023, 10:49 PM

Wake up. He is absolutely brutal, always has been. He cost us tonight.

Hiber-nation
27-12-2023, 10:51 PM

Yep, full of errors, can't be trusted. Has some good points but do folk seriously think he is good enough for a team with 3rd or 4th place aspirations?

OsloHibs
27-12-2023, 10:55 PM
Where's the our strikers isn't good enough thread? Strikers?!!!!! ho-ho-ho.

penihibs
27-12-2023, 11:18 PM
I salute you for coming on here when lots of people are hurting, and trying to make an unpopular case, and youre also right. Rocky dominated Shankland for 91 minutes of that game. One mistake at the worst time but id rather have him in there that not. Id say unless we are replacing 7 or 8 first team players we keep him. We need midfield depth and straight replacements for 4 other first teamers before looking at Rocky. I thought Miller, Campbell and Levitt were all embarrassingly bad and i’d be reconsidering all threes futures with Hibs.
Your bang on there was a lot worse than him tonight, Levitt is a passenger.

wookie70
27-12-2023, 11:22 PM
Yep, full of errors, can't be trusted. Has some good points but do folk seriously think he is good enough for a team with 3rd or 4th place aspirations? Probably not but that could be said for most of the players and I actually think Rocky has improved his play with the ball so could continue to develop. Not sure that is the case for many of the others. Newell would be the only player I could see in a team finishing consistently 3rd or 4th, quite a few of teh others have the quality but not the consistency

MikeyS
27-12-2023, 11:24 PM

I don't think there is a Hibs player that would get in there team today and I actually think they are rotten!

WeeRussell
27-12-2023, 11:25 PM
Its 100% a foul

Haven’t seen highlights since being home but I thought Rocky just made a tit of it.

Had a decent game up until then too.

Stubbsy90+2
27-12-2023, 11:27 PM
I’m sorry, but that’s just utter pish. Do you honestly think an opposition manager would tell their team, just let a player run by you up the pitch? Nonsense.

It absolutely does happen. The logic being that he carries the ball into midfield where his distribution lets him down and he is then left out of position.

Obviously he’s not going to get to wander into the opponents 6 yard box, but teams absolutely let certain players have the ball and leave them to have loads of time on it to let them make an arse of it. Scotland done it with Maguire at Hampden. If you identify a weakness then you set up to magnify that weakness.

MikeyS
27-12-2023, 11:29 PM

This is 100% what happens in all teams from amateur level right up to the very top in the game. Infact, Mourinho asked the Man Utd players to let Davinson Snachez have as much of the ball as he wanted in the UEFA Cup final against Ajax. Utd won due to his mistakes

Stokesy's on fire
27-12-2023, 11:31 PM
Total bomb scare 😱 hertz mates love it when they see his name on sheet

They also love drinking from puddles

No sub 4 skill
27-12-2023, 11:41 PM
Sure, Rocky wasn't strong enough in his challenge, but Fish could've easily blocked Shankland, if he had chosen to tackle with his right foot, rather than his left. Sadly he is equally culpable. Hopefully they'll learn.

Stevie Reid
27-12-2023, 11:49 PM
Rocky seems to have all of the attributes to be a decent SPL defender, but is less than the sum of his parts.

For being such a big unit he doesn’t dominate opponents, for being quite quick he rarely seems to recover situations well, and despite being a decent height he isn’t great in the air - he often seems to end up heading the ball from a standing position.

Decision making is often poor as well, often slashing at things when he should show composure, and trying things on the ball when he should be clearing his lines.

Couple of examples tonight: he had a great burst forward with the ball, and about four passes on - but got excited and just dribbled on into trouble. Also tried a big crossfield ball, which the wind carried out, when a pass on the deck was easily available.

He also seems to be in possession more than any other player at the moment due to how we play. That needs to change.

It’s hard to dislike him, he clearly gives his all and cares about playing for us - but other teams will always feel they’ll have a chance with him on the park. Tonight was evidence of that - actually played ok but still cost us a penalty and a goal.

We need better.

easty
27-12-2023, 11:54 PM
Was anybody really surprised to see him make a **** of it?

Says it all.

easty
27-12-2023, 11:54 PM
Sure, Rocky wasn't strong enough in his challenge, but Fish could've easily blocked Shankland, if he had chosen to tackle with his right foot, rather than his left. Sadly he is equally culpable. Hopefully they'll learn.

Equally culpable is a load of *****

mcohibs
28-12-2023, 12:40 AM
I wouldnt single out Rocky, despite his mistake. We lost that game as a team, management and players. All to blame.

We need to be singling our players that aren’t good enough. And replacing them.

AlbertK86
28-12-2023, 09:49 AM
Where's the our strikers isn't good enough thread? Strikers?!!!!! ho-ho-ho.

We have no presence up front.

Get Boyle back on the wing as he is doing very little up front.

Vente needs a physical presence beside him. Would love us to try and get Kuharevich back on loan or someone similar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.Sean.
28-12-2023, 12:06 PM
How dare you suggest that :rolleyes:

He literally laid the winter on a plate for Hearts at Easter Road and he’s still unslatable in the eyes of some. Powderpuff, a complete and utter accident waiting to happen every week and not good enough. We’ve just been beaten at home by Hearts yet again due to a brainfart when he’s been blown out the way and folk just accept it cause he was apparently slightly better than his usual bang average self the other 89 minutes.

Rocky switched off which will surprise absolutely nobody and shankland done the rest which will also surprise absolutely nobody

Thats before we even go into him singlehandedly handing them a penalty which we got away with

Since90+2
28-12-2023, 12:09 PM
This is 100% what happens in all teams from amateur level right up to the very top in the game. Infact, Mourinho asked the Man Utd players to let Davinson Snachez have as much of the ball as he wanted in the UEFA Cup final against Ajax. Utd won due to his mistakes

I think people are misunderstanding this a bit.

Opposition teams don't let players simply run by them into areas further forward on the pitch, what they do is not actively close them down and simply drop back and allow them possession of the ball. Thats quite a difference to allowing them to run by them.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2023, 12:10 PM
He gave away a penalty and was a huge part in the goal we conceded. I can't reconcile those 2 huge moments with people saying he was 'fine' or 'played well'. 2 huge errors; one of which we got away with, the other that cost us the game.

It's a bit like a keeper letting one through their legs and people saying they played well because they made a few decent saves. It just wouldn't happen.

He was OK for long spells last night but I genuinely can't see any argument for saying he played well when he made such big errors in a massive game.

VoltaireHibs
28-12-2023, 12:19 PM
He gave away a penalty and was a huge part in the goal we conceded. I can't reconcile those 2 huge moments with people saying he was 'fine' or 'played well'. 2 huge errors; one of which we got away with, the other that cost us the game.

It's a bit like a keeper letting one through their legs and people saying they played well because they made a few decent saves. It just wouldn't happen.

He was OK for long spells last night but I genuinely can't see any argument for saying he played well when he made such big errors in a massive game.

But central defenders mistakes are always going to be more costly, and visible. I think there is a place for Rocky in our squad, but when you have two relatively inexperienced CB's playing together, in a position that really requires experience, then mistakes will happen. That's the level of football we exist within.

Allyg69
28-12-2023, 12:41 PM
But central defenders mistakes are always going to be more costly, and visible. I think there is a place for Rocky in our squad, but when you have two relatively inexperienced CB's playing together, in a position that really requires experience, then mistakes will happen. That's the level of football we exist within.

Wouldn't have mattered a jot who he was partnered with last night, it was a woeful attempt at a clearance. He almost missed the ball altogether, would have been better letting the ball go over his head, there was no other Hearts player going to get anywhere near that ball except big heid.

Hibs90
28-12-2023, 01:14 PM
I don't think there is a Hibs player that would get in there team today and I actually think they are rotten!

:faf:

hibsbollah
28-12-2023, 01:14 PM

Agree. Hes also still young, and as part of his development will be off shortly to CIV for a month, and will be teaming up with Chancel Mbemba, literally one of the best CBs in the world at the moment. The boy is only going to get better. I dont think anyones saying his lapses were EXCUSABLE, but without crediting how well he DID play throughout the gane, you’re not seeing the whole picture. But its not surprising theres a bit of keyboard rage still, its only been 16 hours or so since a very painful loss that felt like a tooth extraction.

Since90+2
28-12-2023, 01:18 PM
Agree. Hes also still young, and as part of his development will be off shortly to CIV for a month, and will be teaming up with Chancel Mbemba, literally one of the best CBs in the world at the moment. The boy is only going to get better. I dont think anyones saying his lapses were EXCUSABLE, but without crediting how well he DID play throughout the gane, you’re not seeing the whole picture. But its not surprising theres a bit of keyboard rage still, its only been 16 hours or so since a very painful loss that felt like a tooth extraction.

He's 24 which I would argue isn't particularly young for a footballer, he's not 17 or 18. He's 4 years older than Fish for example.

IMO he's not good enough and never will be. I'd be replacing him at the first opportunity.

MrRobot
28-12-2023, 01:22 PM
Rocky is absolutely murder, we’ll never improve as a team with him in our defence. Wouldn’t even keep him as backup, he’s had plenty chances.

Sell him january if possible.

hibsbollah
28-12-2023, 01:22 PM
He's 24 which I would argue isn't particularly young for a footballer, he's not 17 or 18.

IMO he's not good enough and never will be. I'd be replacing him at the first opportunity.

If we get investment, everybody in our squad is replaceable. If we dont get the investment thats being talked about, id base our selling policy on how much we’d get in fees and saving wages stacked up against what they offer on the pitch. I like lots about his game, and so hed be one id keep.

Jones28
28-12-2023, 01:30 PM

Agree with all this.

Ps the penalty he gave away was hardly blatant, describing that as a major error is nonsense. It was unlucky to be given away and fortunate for us it was missed.

LewysGot2
28-12-2023, 01:41 PM
He is playing in this formation because of his athleticism. Even PHs biggest critics can't argue that Paul is a poorer footballer than Rocky. He's more skillful and heads the ball more consistently well. He chips in with the odd goal and is more of a threat at set pieces. However, father time has affected his pace and people weary of anyone who hangs around a long time. NMs only formation stretches the workload for the spine of the team. Fish and Rocky are fairly pacy, if not Daz fast. However, athleticism alone only gets you so far and, at times, the lack of technique is badly exposed. He's not the only one.
The next few games he will be missing without the need for the manager to drop him. Win-win in some respects.

I do think that had we had JDH, Cadden and ALF available things may have turned out very differently. Ifs and buts though...JDH is much better suited to these games than Levitt and would have given us a bit more in front of the CHs - Campbell seemed to have been told to man mark the No8. Kept following him inside...big space opens up for Miller to defend and he didn't know whether he was coming or going especially first half. So many strategic things to exploit our weaknesses. Meanwhile we didn't deliver enough quality at the other end.

All we can do is move on. As always. Tuesday does now feel a must win though...

Gus
28-12-2023, 01:51 PM
I remember getting torn a new one on here when I said on twitter I would drive him back down to Norwich and now there’s a thread highlighting all his mistakes…..

I’m not a fan on these threads but personally I don’t think he’s as bad as folk are saying.

wookie70
28-12-2023, 01:56 PM

I can see that argument but most players made far more mistakes than Rocky last night and we weren't punished for it. The penalty was one of those things and I wouldn't blame him too much for that, just stupid rules. The game losing error was poor but then again he was fouled imo and had dominated Shankland for the vast majority of the game. Very few of our players dominated their opposite number at any point last night.

JimBHibees
28-12-2023, 01:58 PM

Agree he got away with the penalty big time then messes up criminally with a basic punt down the pitch for the winning goal so not a great day at the office clearly

Chipper1875
28-12-2023, 02:00 PM

Gifted Aberdeen chances and Celtic goals. He’s not good enough. Concentration levels and decision making is poor

Hibee Daft
28-12-2023, 02:01 PM
Play him in midfield! 🤡

He would be a better defensive mid than a few players playing there already

HibsGW
28-12-2023, 02:09 PM

Spot on, it was a clear tactic from Hearts to give Rocky the ball and space to run into, he done it and just about lost the plot a good few times, and the other times, he lumped it long. Can’t play football and isn’t a good enough defender to compensate for that.

SON OF PADDY
28-12-2023, 02:12 PM

It's hard to argue with any of your points, he's simply not good enough.

hibsbollah
28-12-2023, 02:13 PM
I can see that argument but most players made far more mistakes than Rocky last night and we weren't punished for it. The penalty was one of those things and I wouldn't blame him too much for that, just stupid rules. The game losing error was poor but then again he was fouled imo and had dominated Shankland for the vast majority of the game. Very few of our players dominated their opposite number at any point last night.

If we’re talking pure numbers, a mistake count for Levitt and Miller last night might get into double figures each. Campbell gave the ball away the first three times he touched it.

Nicho87
28-12-2023, 02:24 PM
Rocky is a handy squad player

If hibs business plan with foley is best of the rest, Rocky and 3-4 others will quickly be moved on from first team duties as a minimum

I include Campbell, Miller, Levitt in that

Hopefully when it goes through Hibs can really start to be quite cut throat and clear some players out

Iain G
28-12-2023, 02:42 PM
Maybe Hanlon should have played instead? Think how long the Hanlon thread would have been by now 🤣

The Modfather
28-12-2023, 02:42 PM

Rocky could have done a lot better at the goal but I agree so could have Fish. He did similar in the first half and backed away almost to the goal line only to then make an excellent last ditch block on forrest. He did the same with Shankland who ruthlessly took advantage.

I didn’t think it was a big error from Rocky for the goal, particularly as Fish was behind him, but an error nonetheless.

Vente needs to look at Shankland scoring out of nothing. Particularly compared to his tame effort that had no conviction and was easily saved by Hearts keeper.

CathroMustStay
28-12-2023, 03:08 PM
Bushiri absolutely shouldn't be good enough to start regularly for us.

That he does sums up our acceptance of mediocrity.

Jones28
28-12-2023, 03:08 PM
Rocky could have done a lot better at the goal but I agree so could have Fish. He did similar in the first half and backed away almost to the goal line only to then make an excellent last ditch block on forrest. He did the same with Shankland who ruthlessly took advantage.

I didn’t think it was a big error from Rocky for the goal, particularly as Fish was behind him, but an error nonetheless.

Vente needs to look at Shankland scoring out of nothing. Particularly compared to his tame effort that had no conviction and was easily saved by Hearts keeper.

I know what you’re saying about Vente, but Shankland is on 9 in 10 games or something, it’s a terrific run that will definitely see him move on, Rangers probably will be in for him and he will go. He’s high on confidence and sharpness.

Vente is sharp but when he’s getting 1/2 opportunities to score per game how is he going to build confidence?

The system needs examining as to how best utilise Vente and not having dropping to the half way line to take in a pass.

Jones28
28-12-2023, 03:09 PM

Oh there it is again. ACePtInG MeDIOcRiTY

CathroMustStay
28-12-2023, 03:10 PM
Would you like a synonym for mediocrity, if the word offends you so much?

Jones28
28-12-2023, 03:13 PM
Would you like a synonym for mediocrity, if the word offends you so much?

What I’d really like you to do is explain how us fans go about not accepting mediocrity?

B.H.F.C
28-12-2023, 03:22 PM
I know what you’re saying about Vente, but Shankland is on 9 in 10 games or something, it’s a terrific run that will definitely see him move on, Rangers probably will be in for him and he will go. He’s high on confidence and sharpness.

Vente is sharp but when he’s getting 1/2 opportunities to score per game how is he going to build confidence?

The system needs examining as to how best utilise Vente and not having dropping to the half way line to take in a pass.

In a game as tight as last night, Vente had two good chances. You’re not getting much more. I thought the chance in the second half showed a real lack of confidence, no conviction in it.

Comparison to Shankland is fair enough. Hearts aren’t creative, they’ve scored even less than us, but he can make something for himself. With Vente, it seems he’s going to need a chance made for him in the box or it’s nothing.

I thought he was showing some signs of finding some form a few weeks back. Played well at St Mirren and Dundee and got three assists and just generally made better runs. Got his goal against Aberdeen but, since then, he along with the whole team has performed really poorly.

flash
28-12-2023, 03:23 PM

What should we do? Run him out of town?

Jones28
28-12-2023, 03:26 PM
In a game as tight as last night, Vente had two good chances. You’re not getting much more. I thought the chance in the second half showed a real lack of confidence, no conviction in it.

Comparison to Shankland is fair enough. Hearts aren’t creative, they’ve scored even less than us, but he can make something for himself. With Vente, it seems he’s going to need a chance made for him in the box or it’s nothing.

I thought he was showing some signs of finding some form a few weeks back. Played well at St Mirren and Dundee and got three assists and just generally made better runs. Got his goal against Aberdeen but, since then, he along with the whole team has performed really poorly.

I think re his chances the first chance was a goal - if it was rugby they’d give a penalty try. I wish to **** he’d taken it but.

Second chance I agree he looked a player short on confidence, but like you say his dip in form has coincided with a dip in form for the whole team.

Since90+2
28-12-2023, 03:32 PM

Or perhaps just not play him?

LeithMike
28-12-2023, 03:39 PM
Noting the comments about the errors but I have to say that I thought Rocky was probably our best player last night. Both him and Fish were very solid during the periods that Hearts put us under pressure. And let’s face it the midfield 4 aren’t really designed to give protection.

Rocky is still young for a centre back where experience probably counts for more than ability. He’s still prone to making mistakes but is growing with each game he plays.

I think because of his bulky stature he sometimes struggles to get off the ground but he’s developing into a good defender. I hope we can remain patient with him but I think it’s the way we play that makes us more prone to gifting goals than any individual.

Given the lack of any defensive ability in midfield, I think the thing that worried me most was our inability to make chances.

I see Lewis Miller is also getting written off. He had a really poor game but has shown he can be a really good full back and he’s maybe just trying a bit too hard with the poor results lately.

Last night was really disappointing but let’s not just demand a clear out. I think we’ve got a platform there and it won’t take much to get us going in the right direction.

SickBoy32
28-12-2023, 06:58 PM
A calamity of a centre half, scary to read the number of folk who thought he was decent

And to think of the stick that Hanlon / Porto used to (still do) receive !!

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2023, 07:05 PM
Too many in the squad that aren’t good enough that’s the bigger picture not just Rocky.

Hibees1973
28-12-2023, 07:10 PM

I'll give him a lift out of Edinburgh.

Let's be honest he should never even be here. It was an oversight on Ian Gordon's recruitment teams' part that he was played too many games when on loan here and we were legally obliged to sign him on a permanent contract.

flash
28-12-2023, 07:37 PM

Let's be honest he should never even be here. It was an oversight on Ian Gordon's recruitment teams' part that he was played too many games when on loan here and we were legally obliged to sign him on a permanent contract.

I don't think he's good enough either.

I was more questioning the "accepting mediocrity" comment.

BoomtownHibees
28-12-2023, 09:56 PM
I thought Rocky was probably our best player last night

Surely no

Gus
28-12-2023, 10:12 PM

You cannae say that

Smartie
28-12-2023, 10:16 PM
Noting the comments about the errors but I have to say that I thought Rocky was probably our best player last night. Both him and Fish were very solid during the periods that Hearts put us under pressure. And let’s face it the midfield 4 aren’t really designed to give protection.

Rocky is still young for a centre back where experience probably counts for more than ability. He’s still prone to making mistakes but is growing with each game he plays.

I think because of his bulky stature he sometimes struggles to get off the ground but he’s developing into a good defender. I hope we can remain patient with him but I think it’s the way we play that makes us more prone to gifting goals than any individual.

Given the lack of any defensive ability in midfield, I think the thing that worried me most was our inability to make chances.

I see Lewis Miller is also getting written off. He had a really poor game but has shown he can be a really good full back and he’s maybe just trying a bit too hard with the poor results lately.

Last night was really disappointing but let’s not just demand a clear out. I think we’ve got a platform there and it won’t take much to get us going in the right direction.

I remember Zibi being a perfectly competent keeper who made good saves in between the howlers that cost us games, especially derbies.

It felt a bit like that with Rocky last night, he was generally excellent other than the 2 mistakes that could have and then did cost us the game.

Porteous made a howler for the Rangers goal when we beat them 3-1 at Hampden but Boyle’s hat trick meant that it wasn’t of any significance. Rocky’s mistakes last night become a minor footnote if our forwards and midfielders find a way to score a couple of goals.

WeeRussell
28-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Haven’t seen highlights since being home but I thought Rocky just made a tit of it.

Had a decent game up until then too.

Have seen it again now. Struggle to understand any grown up claiming that goal shouldn’t stand because of a foul. Rocky misjudged his attempted header and their best player took the chance he’d been waiting on.

I haven’t bothered studying trying to find a handball in it but no danger our man is fouled.

I still like Rocky though.

marinello59
28-12-2023, 10:44 PM
Have seen it again now. Struggle to understand any grown up claiming that goal shouldn’t stand because of a foul. Rocky misjudged his attempted header and their best player took the chance he’d been waiting on.

I haven’t bothered studying trying to find a handball in it but no danger our man is fouled.

I still like Rocky though.

The better player came out on top in a one on one battle. That’s fitba.

chrisski33
28-12-2023, 11:26 PM

👏👏👍

Scouse Hibee
28-12-2023, 11:29 PM
I remember Zibi being a perfectly competent keeper who made good saves in between the howlers that cost us games, especially derbies.

It felt a bit like that with Rocky last night, he was generally excellent other than the 2 mistakes that could have and then did cost us the game.

Porteous made a howler for the Rangers goal when we beat them 3-1 at Hampden but Boyle’s hat trick meant that it wasn’t of any significance. Rocky’s mistakes last night become a minor footnote if our forwards and midfielders find a way to score a couple of goals.

Stopped reading your post after the word keeper.😉

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2023, 05:52 AM
Watched the penalty back last night WTF was he doing with his arm up there ?

Dearie me !

The only person who spotted it in a 20,000 + Stadium was Andrew Dallas the VAR guy ?

The error leading up to the winning goal was unforgivable

The Foreheid must have thought all his christmases had arrived at once

Over to NM but I would be tempted to stick with him and continue nurturing him maybes remove him from the group but we have a break coming up anyways

Rocky has improved leaps and bounds from the raw laddie that arrived three years ago and has done well to silence the naysayers so far this season

The only other episodes where he was deemed culpable by the haters he had excuses

Kilmarnock got shoved in the back fell on the ball but we still had a corner to defend

Celtic Carter Vickers totally miskicks it hits his standing leg hits Ho who hasn’t a clue and goes in

Miller is turned inside out the winger delivers a perfect ball into the box goal

Happy if he stays happy if he goes

JammyDoidger
29-12-2023, 06:06 AM
The one at Tynie where he had plenty of time and headers the ball right out for a throw in will live long in the memory, just an awful bit of play, he needs to practice grade ring as it's amateurish stuff from him, actually embarrasing.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2023, 06:13 AM
The one at Tynie where he had plenty of time and headers the ball right out for a throw in will live long in the memory, just an awful bit of play, he needs to practice grade ring as it's amateurish stuff from him, actually embarrasing.
Yip could add a good few to that Campbell’s first three touches on Wednesday night Miller’s passing especially that one second half across the pitch straight to the hearts guy Obita’s persistent over hit balls Levitt”s pass versus St Johnstone that lead to a gifted goal our inability to actually have a shot on goal from any range or pass to a green jersey beyond embarrassing

Since90+2
29-12-2023, 06:13 AM
Watched the penalty back last night WTF was he doing with his arm up there ?

Dearie me !

The only person who spotted it in a 20,000 + Stadium was Andrew Dallas the VAR guy ?

The error leading up to the winning goal was unforgivable

The Foreheid must have thought all his christmases had arrived at once

Over to NM but I would be tempted to stick with him and continue nurturing him maybes remove him from the group but we have a break coming up anyways

Rocky has improved leaps and bounds from the raw laddie that arrived three years ago and has done well to silence the naysayers so far this season

The only other episodes where he was deemed culpable by the haters he had excuses

Kilmarnock got shoved in the back fell on the ball but we still had a corner to defend

Celtic Carter Vickers totally miskicks it hits his standing leg hits Ho who hasn’t a clue and goes in

Miller is turned inside out the winger delivers a perfect ball into the box goal

Happy if he stays happy if he goes

Stick with him but maybe remove him from the group? I don't see how that could possibly help him, or the club.

JammyDoidger
29-12-2023, 06:17 AM
Yip could add a good few to that Campbell’s first three touches on Wednesday night Miller’s passing especially that one second half across the pitch straight to the hearts guy Obita’s persistent over hit balls Levitt”s pass versus St Johnstone that lead to a gifted goal our inability to actually have a shot on goal from any range or pass to a green jersey beyond embarrassing

Yip, even Campbell's injury, it's Levitt that takes him out, it's all just so Hibs, when we won that cup I honestly thought that was us turning a corner.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2023, 06:25 AM
Stick with him but maybe remove him from the group? I don't see how that could possibly help him, or the club.
I meant for the short term maybe bring Hanlon back versus Motherwell but as I said we have a break to work on the back four and address any issues for the restart and to decide the best lineup going forward

oneone73
29-12-2023, 07:47 AM
I meant for the short term maybe bring Hanlon back versus Motherwell but as I said we have a break to work on the back four and address any issues for the restart and to decide the best lineup going forward

Except Rocky is away during the break.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2023, 07:55 AM
Except Rocky is away during the break.

👍

hibbydog
29-12-2023, 08:00 AM
It is no coincidence that he was at fault for both the loss of a penalty and a goal.

He simply not good enough for where we want to go.

At the bare minimum, he needs a spell away from the first team, either on loan or in the development squad to learn from his mistakes and consolidate what he’s learned.

Or preferably moved on to a championship side and we bring in someone better

Stuart93
29-12-2023, 09:27 AM
Just seen their goal again in highlights

What the **** was Rocky doing, just put your head through it ffs

I’d started warming to him a bit but the mistakes are still proving costly

J-C
29-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Rocky played 0 games for Norwich and played 18 games for 4 loan clubs before coming here, it's another of these take a punt on a player buy from this recruitment team. We've needed ready made 1st teamers for a good while now, if we want development players use our own development team, it's where Porteous came from.

The Modfather
29-12-2023, 10:33 AM
I’m surprised Fish is getting off scot free for his role in the goal. He can see everything as it’s happening, backs off into the box and allows Shankland to shoot.

Nicho87
29-12-2023, 10:47 AM
I’m surprised Fish is getting off scot free for his role in the goal. He can see everything as it’s happening, backs off into the box and allows Shankland to shoot.

To be fair I thought fish stood up as long as he could

I didn’t know before Shankland was right footed

His goal against st Mirren with his left was a great goal maybe in the defences head he is just as strong on either

But yeah for me, Rocky just put it in the air

BS44
29-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Rocky played 0 games for Norwich and played 18 games for 4 loan clubs before coming here, it's another of these take a punt on a player buy from this recruitment team. We've needed ready made 1st teamers for a good while now, if we want development players use our own development team, it's where Porteous came from.

Weren't we ready to send him back down the road to Norwich until they told us no chance? Because he had played so many games for us we were then obliged under the loan agreement to sign him

jakedance
29-12-2023, 10:51 AM
The back four that started isn’t good enough. I’m more concerned with two wing backs that can’t pick out even a simple pass. Not much the coaching team can do when the players lack the basic qualities needed to play at this level.

J-C
29-12-2023, 10:57 AM
Weren't we ready to send him back down the road to Norwich until they told us no chance? Because he had played so many games for us we were then obliged under the loan agreement to sign him

That was the rumour.

CocoHibs91
29-12-2023, 11:02 AM
It is no coincidence that he was at fault for both the loss of a penalty and a goal.

He simply not good enough for where we want to go.

At the bare minimum, he needs a spell away from the first team, either on loan or in the development squad to learn from his mistakes and consolidate what he’s learned.

Or preferably moved on to a championship side and we bring in someone better

I'm with you, I think a loan move where he can be monitored would be a good move. If he needs to make some mistakes to learn to defend properly I'd rather it was with someone else.

I was starting to come round to Rocky prior to the Celtic game as he was in a decent run of form.

His mistake for the goal where he seems to head the ball down towards the ground isn't an isolated incident, he did the same in a game at Tynecastle and away at Killie. The first thing you teach any young defender learning to head the ball is how to get height and distance on the ball.

I don't think he has the natural defensive instincts to be reliable enough at centre back and I'm not sure how easy it would be to correct this in him.

He tends to get pulled out of position easily. Killie away equaliser an example he had wandered out towards the ball out wide rather than hold his position. At Parkhead he was positioned poorly for a lot of their crosses coming in.

The other night when hearts were breaking down the right there was a time he could of stepped up and played Forrest off side but he kept himself about 4 yards behind the rest of his back line. Another time Obita had to sprint inside to block Shankland as Rocky had completely lost him. He's lucky neither of these led to goals. Add in the penalty mistake and the goal mistake.

Loan him out, if he does well and comes back an improved defender give him another chance. If he doesn't do well move him on.