PDA

View Full Version : Squad needs a major overhaul

neil7908
27-12-2023, 09:11 PM
Not much else the manager can do with this group of players.

We have far, far too many that are average or inconsistent. We will need to be ruthless if there is a genuine desire to see us 3rd more often that not.

Guys like Boyle, Campbell, Levitt, Miller and Rocky are on not performing well enough on a consistent basis. Our bench has been terrible for years. We have almost no one to change a game.

Major surgery needed, and 100% of any new investment must go into the first team. I dont want to hear about us spending millions on infrastructure whilst we sit in mid table but talk of becoming the 3rd force in Scotland.

Jones28
27-12-2023, 09:12 PM
Rocky was fine. Unfortunately lost one battle of many tonight that led to the goal.

Greencore
Rocky was fine. Unfortunately lost one battle of many tonight that led to the goal.

He was shakey as f***. Not good enough.

Scottie
5 year plan again ?

Im 51 and have been waiting for a squad overhaul all of my life :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
27-12-2023, 09:14 PM
This is what happens when you have idiots at board level who are more interested in putting microphones on managers and singing sections and signing guff like Mueller and Hauge and fancy screens rather than putting the best team on the pitch possible.

We’re supposed to be a football team, not an entertainment product and it’s high time that the board realise this.

I don’t care if it’s from their pockets, time to spend big on players.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-12-2023, 09:14 PM

We have far, far too many that are average or inconsistent. We will need to be ruthless if there is a genuine desire to see us 3rd more often that not.

Guys like Boyle, Campbell, Levitt, Miller and Rocky are on not performing well enough on a consistent basis. Our bench has been terrible for years. We have almost no one to change a game.

Major surgery needed, and 100% of any new investment must go into the first team. I dont want to hear about us spending millions on infrastructure whilst we sit in mid table but talk of becoming the 3rd force in Scotland.

How many years have we been saying that?
Major investment hopefully coming soon

Musselbound
27-12-2023, 09:16 PM
Agree with the OP. Results and the league table show we are bang average at the moment. That's happened under (many) different managers so we need to stop sacking them time after time. Better quality is needed. I don't want to hear any more talk of us being third every season until we prove capable of doing it once. That would be a start.

neil7908
27-12-2023, 09:16 PM

Thats exactly what I mean though. He was except for giving away a penalty and committing a massive error that gifted the top scorer in Scotland a wonderful chance to score.

Rocky has come on leaps and bounds but at centre back you cant just be good for 88 minutes. Is he good enough to carry us to 3rd?

Jones28
27-12-2023, 09:18 PM
He was shakey as f***. Not good enough.

He was not shaky.

Unseen work
27-12-2023, 09:19 PM

He made two mistakes tonight.

Gave away the pen and then at fault got a goal where the goalie has launched it the length of the pitch to their only striker.

I try and defend Rocky and think he can be decent, but those two mistake tonight (and many in other games) are inexcusable and I’m not just convinced he’ll learn from them.

Centre half a priority for me.

We need another striker too as Boyle and Vente just don’t do enough. Nothing won in the air, ball never held up and rarely get or create a chance

Rumble de Thump
This is what happens when you have idiots at board level who are more interested in putting microphones on managers and singing sections and signing guff like Mueller and Hauge and fancy screens rather than putting the best team on the pitch possible.

We’re supposed to be a football team, not an entertainment product and it’s high time that the board realise this.

You obviously know you're talking rubbish, so why do it?

berwickhibee
Manager needs at least 2 windows, the squad he inherited is lopsided and lacking any leadership or quality.im not convinced by him and his stubborn refusal to move from a 442 could be his downfall.

CathroMustStay
27-12-2023, 09:20 PM

The definition of accepting mediocrity.

Jones28
Thats exactly what I mean though. He was except for giving away a penalty and committing a massive error that gifted the top scorer in Scotland a wonderful chance to score.

Rocky has come on leaps and bounds but at centre back you cant just be good for 88 minutes. Is he good enough to carry us to 3rd?

If he comes on leaps and bounds for another year then yes he will. He’s still young.

Miller, Campbell, Levitt, Boyle and Vente all contributed less than Rocky tonight. It’s a defenders curse that they can make single mistakes that will lead to goals.

Northernhibee
You obviously know you're talking rubbish, so why do it?

No you’re right, we’re signing excellent players and the priority for the club defo comes through as results. We don’t have a recruitment department that is easy to pull the wool over their eyes with a bit of hype about a player and we’ve fixed the glaring age old problems in defence and midfield in the last four windows.

You are clearly very clever.

Greencore
27-12-2023, 09:21 PM
He was not shaky.

He definitely was. Shat himself half the time making a pass.

Shat it for shanklands goal.

Not good enough.

Jones28
27-12-2023, 09:21 PM

Aw, well poor me then.

VoltaireHibs
27-12-2023, 09:22 PM

The definition of reality.

VoltaireHibs
27-12-2023, 09:24 PM

But do we have the kind of money to ever actually play the football that NM wants us to? To sign half a team, at least, of players that are perfectly comfortable with one touch forward passing? I have serious doubts.

Jones28
27-12-2023, 09:24 PM
He definitely was. Shat himself half the time making a pass.

Shat it for shanklands goal.

Not good enough.

Passing? His passing was decent. Not great, fine, but decent enough. He shanked one pass off the park as far as I remember.

I hate the term shat it. Its bollocks. A mistake is not because you are mentally unfit, it happens to human beings in all walks of life.

neil7908
27-12-2023, 09:28 PM
If he comes on leaps and bounds for another year then yes he will. He’s still young.

Miller, Campbell, Levitt, Boyle and Vente all contributed less than Rocky tonight. It’s a defenders curse that they can make single mistakes that will lead to goals.

Absolutely. And the good ones are those that dont make too many. Same as goalkeepers. Yes maybe its unfair but there are positions on the pitch where you need to be fully focused for 90 minutes. Right now Rocky isnt doing that enough. Now would I like to see him out of the club? No. But I dont think he's consistent enough.

Rocky is 24 and Fish is 20. I cant help thinking a more experienced CB wouldnt go amiss.

I do agree though that we have other players in the team that arent doing enough.

CapitalGreen
27-12-2023, 09:29 PM
Imagine trying to defend Rocky after that tonight, bloody hell

neil7908
27-12-2023, 09:32 PM
But do we have the kind of money to ever actually play the football that NM wants us to? To sign half a team, at least, of players that are perfectly comfortable with one touch forward passing? I have serious doubts.

That is a worry of mine. I didnt see his CCM team but I presume he had them playing a similar style on what must have been a lesser budget?

But Scotland is obviously a very different league and quality of opposition.

B.H.F.C
27-12-2023, 09:32 PM

Rocky is crap and him being a first pick is a big reason we are so abysmal defensively.

Culpable at the goal with something that should just be straightforward to deal with and gave away a penalty jumping with his arm up. And that was him on a decent night.

He’s not alone in being poor but we’re unlikely to ever improve at the back with him playing so much.

Heisenberg
27-12-2023, 09:33 PM
Yep a replacement for Rocky would be right up near the top of the list for me. He makes similar mistakes regularly but sadly he got punished tonight.

Stanton Spence
27-12-2023, 09:33 PM
Passing? His passing was decent. Not great, fine, but decent enough. He shanked one pass off the park as far as I remember.

I hate the term shat it. Its bollocks. A mistake is not because you are mentally unfit, it happens to human beings in all walks of life.

There was a time he tried to bring the ball up the park and had ample time and opportunity to play it left or even right but he managed to walk straight into 3 hertz players and just gave the ball away
He’s just not good enough but he’s certainly not the only one. We have a bang average side that would struggle in league one down south
I really hope this investment comes to fruition and is a game changer for hibs because we really need it.
I’m not even as angry and pissed off as I usually am and losing interest in Scottish football overall

BoomtownHibees
27-12-2023, 09:35 PM
Imagine trying to defend Rocky after that tonight, bloody hell

Should be nowhere near a Hibs team

Greencore
27-12-2023, 09:35 PM

😂😂😂😂 okay dokay.

Stubbsy90+2
27-12-2023, 09:36 PM
Manager needs at least 2 windows, the squad he inherited is lopsided and lacking any leadership or quality.im not convinced by him and his stubborn refusal to move from a 442 could be his downfall.

He needs to show a hell of a lot more than he currently is to deserve two windows imo. This is absolutely atrocious stuff.

He deserves January, absolutely. After that though, it’s on him, and we certainly shouldn’t just give him the summer window for the sake of it or we’ll be saying the same stuff next season.

He deserves the chance to bring in a few bodies of his own. He also needs to get a hell of a lot more out of what he has though. I said a few weeks ago I fully expect results to start levelling out with performances and that’s pretty much what we’re seeing. We’re a mid table team, no better than last season, if any better at all, and that’s where we’ll end up imo.

TrinityHibby
27-12-2023, 09:38 PM
Agree with the OP. Results and the league table show we are bang average at the moment. That's happened under (many) different managers so we need to stop sacking them time after time. Better quality is needed. I don't want to hear any more talk of us being third every season until we prove capable of doing it once. That would be a start.

Excellent post. Hibs are currently an average squad with so many deficiencies in the Team it’s hard to know where to start. Can’t see us being capable of anything more than possibly scraping top six this season and investing in quality in the Summer. Montgomery must be feeling a little exposed at the moment 😧

Diclonius
27-12-2023, 09:39 PM
Club mentality needs a major overhaul.

jeffers
27-12-2023, 09:59 PM
Should be nowhere near a Hibs team

Agreed. Culpable for two goals against Celtic, cost us again tonight. If he’s come on leaps and bounds it’s a reflection on how pish he was previously. If it had been Paul Hanlon making these mistakes tonight there would have been a five page thread on here.

A new centre back is an absolute priority.

WestStandWillie
27-12-2023, 10:57 PM
Bushiri is pap. Clumsy and makes costly mistakes. Not good enough for this squad but that could also be applied to many more.

TrinityHFC
27-12-2023, 11:05 PM
All of our better players are getting worse. NM does deserve a window but we’ve got ourselves in a position yet again when our recruitment of players and of a coaching team are extremely misaligned.

After an okay challenge for 3rd / 4th last year that fell a bit short we’ve got Boyle back, added Vente, Obita and Levitt as starters and lost Nisbet. Okay, we sack a manager after 3 or 4 bad results but we needed tweaking and a bit more defensive organisation. Instead of that we are now at needing a complete new team. That’s just not going to happen so we need to be making better use of what we have too.

Nicho87
27-12-2023, 11:06 PM
Players I’d move on / sell / release

Rocky
Hanlon
Harbottle
Stevenson
Doyle-Hayes
Jeggo
Mckirdy
Campbell
Henderson
Doidge
Le Fondre

Basildon Hibs
27-12-2023, 11:13 PM

No. We need to appoint good managers and players.

Hibees1973
28-12-2023, 06:18 PM
Rinse, repeat, rinse......

We are still paying the price of shocking recruitment by Ian Gordon and his guys previous to McDermott coming in.

Montgomery complained last night that the squad was thin. Ridiculous when you consider the amount of players we have signed over the last 2-3 years. There have been a huge amount of players signed. I can't even remember the names of some of them given their memorable contribution, who are no longer here or out on loan. There is also a large number of them in the team last night who won't be part of a successful Hibs team, if we even get there. Youan, Bushiri, Jair, Miller, Obita, Levitt and some others have shown to be inconsistent and cannot be relied on when the going gets tough. All of them can't cope under pressure and make poor decisions. This is why we lost last night, lost the semi final and 7 other league games so far this season.

A major overhaul is putting it mildly. Montgomery and McDermott are both in a difficult situation.

There have been far too many bad decisions made by people I don't trust. Ian Gordon & Ben Kensell come to mind.

May21/05/16
28-12-2023, 06:27 PM
Absolute drivel posted here by the usual posters

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-12-2023, 06:29 PM

There's nobody there that I would be sad to see leave, which probably sums things up at the moment.

Chipper1875
28-12-2023, 06:29 PM

We are still paying the price of shocking recruitment by Ian Gordon and his guys previous to McDermott coming in.

Montgomery complained last night that the squad was thin. Ridiculous when you consider the amount of players we have signed over the last 2-3 years. There have been a huge amount of players signed. I can't even remember the names of some of them given their memorable contribution, who are no longer here or out on loan. There is also a large number of them in the team last night who won't be part of a successful Hibs team, if we even get there. Youan, Bushiri, Jair, Miller, Obita, Levitt and some others have shown to be inconsistent and cannot be relied on when the going gets tough. All of them can't cope under pressure and make poor decisions. This is why we lost last night, lost the semi final and 7 other league games so far this season.

A major overhaul is putting is mildly. Montgomery and McDermott are both in a difficult situation.

There have been far too many bad decisions made by people I don't trust. Ian Gordon & Ben Kensell come to mind.

McDermitt joined 4 may 2023 and led the summer 2023 transfer window. I’d say it was a poor window

Northernhibee
28-12-2023, 06:41 PM

A major overhaul is putting is mildly. Montgomery and McDermott are both in a difficult situation.

Spot on. From the outside looking in, there is a concerning lack of leadership at the club.

Ozyhibby
28-12-2023, 07:16 PM
I don’t think the squad does need a massive overhaul. What it needs is a dominant midfield player or two. The rest of the squad is decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
28-12-2023, 07:18 PM
I don’t think the squad does need a massive overhaul. What it needs is a dominant midfield player or two. The rest of the squad is decent.

Our defensive options are far from decent.

jakeshibs
28-12-2023, 07:38 PM

Think this is the result of constantly changing managers, we all want better product then we need to spend that means us the supporters raise the cash, get your cheque book out lad, as you just said you dont care if its from their pockets we are one club.

truehibernian
28-12-2023, 07:47 PM
I think we’ll see major overhaul in summer with many players leaving or maybe even moved to the coaching side down the levels (Lewy and Paul). I can see JDH, Doidge, Harbottle and a few others moved on. Kenneh and Henderson freed or allowed to go. There’s 7 really good salaries alone to be put into the budget alongside the Foley investment.

Chipper1875
28-12-2023, 08:31 PM
I think we’ll see major overhaul in summer with many players leaving or maybe even moved to the coaching side down the levels (Lewy and Paul). I can see JDH, Doidge, Harbottle and a few others moved on. Kenneh and Henderson freed or allowed to go. There’s 7 really good salaries alone to be put into the budget alongside the Foley investment.

KDh, hendo and Kenneh will all be under contract you can’t just free them . You need to pay them off . So not much of a saving

truehibernian
28-12-2023, 09:31 PM
KDh, hendo and Kenneh will all be under contract you can’t just free them . You need to pay them off . So not much of a saving

I think they’ll pick up clubs no bother and won’t require any outlay on our part.

Greenio
28-12-2023, 09:33 PM
I think we need better up front. Boyle and Jair I don't think are good enough for this Hibs team we need (will be unpopular I know). Boyle can maybe find his form again or be played differently perhaps?. Jairs touch and just general awareness of what to do is poor. Yes, he's gotten a lot better but I think that might be his limit. We then need a quality starting centre mid, someone to replace Fish when he goes and then a vastly improved bench across the park for competition, injuries etc.

It's going to take a while.

Smartie
28-12-2023, 09:35 PM

I’d tend to agree - we’ve got plenty of players who should be perfectly acceptable makeweights next to real quality.

The problem we have is that the players who we might reasonably expect to be our genuine quality are currently offering us absolutely nothing.

I don’t think it’s that easy a fix.

B.H.F.C
28-12-2023, 09:36 PM
I think we need better up front. Boyle and Jair I don't think are good enough for this Hibs team we need (will be unpopular I know). Boyle can maybe find his form again or be played differently perhaps?. Jairs touch and just general awareness of what to do is poor. Yes, he's gotten a lot better but I think that might be his limit. We then need a quality starting centre mid, someone to replace Fish when he goes and then a vastly improved bench across the park for competition, injuries etc.

It's going to take a while.

We need a centre half as it is. If Fish goes, we need two.

PHeffernan
29-12-2023, 02:10 AM

Can you tell us how you as an individual go about not accepting mediocrity and how this improves the team?

Chipper1875
29-12-2023, 06:56 AM
I think they’ll pick up clubs no bother and won’t require any outlay on our part.

No chance will a player walk away without a pay off . Plus when they leave is it’s to a lesser team on a smaller contract s