PDA

View Full Version : Euro leagues

Ozyhibby
21-12-2023, 09:51 AM
https://x.com/cormackdavie/status/1737780131811242453?s=46&t=3pb_w_qndxJXScFNwz8V4A

Cormack isn’t wrong here. We are just waiting on this happening to us rather than trying to shape it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chippy
21-12-2023, 10:15 AM
https://x.com/cormackdavie/status/1737780131811242453?s=46&t=3pb_w_qndxJXScFNwz8V4A

Cormack isn’t wrong here. We are just waiting on this happening to us rather than trying to shape it.

Yep Cormack says he’s engaging with others. I think Ron was involved to an extent as well. Perhaps it’s too big for the Gordon’s on their own and see the way ahead with Foley.
But on the general point , Scottish Football again watching from the sidelines

SickBoy32
21-12-2023, 10:21 AM
Greedy owners wanting to bleed fans dry, to further line their own pockets.

Isn't this what we have been subject to with the Gordon's - and now Foley? Appreciate we operate on a different level (obviously) but for me the Super League proposal and our current owners opting for us to join a multi club structure, are largely the same principle.

Increasingly being turned off of football - where does it end!

Diclonius
21-12-2023, 10:22 AM
A closed shop Euro megaleague will probably be what does it for me, tbh.

He's here!
21-12-2023, 10:27 AM

Getting rid of Celtic and Sevco would at least be a positive.

Personally I already find the EPL akin to an over-stuffed, soulless super league, especially with all the Saudi/sportswashing cash flooding in. This would just be an inevitable extension of that.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2023, 10:28 AM
Getting rid of Celtic and Sevco would at least be a positive.

Personally I already find the EPL akin to an over-stuffed, soulless super league, especially with all the Saudi/sportswashing cash flooding in. This would just be an inevitable extension of that.

And yet people love watching it.

Skol
21-12-2023, 10:29 AM
Could such a scenario lead to a reset of sorts.

I will be honest I have no interest these days in English football or European football unless it involves hibs. I used to watch lots of the English and European football when it started being shown

If the big teams disappear to some European set up, could those left behind then go back to how football used to be with a bit of local interest and maybe some old style true European knockout stuff.

Baader
21-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Yep Cormack says he’s engaging with others. I think Ron was involved to an extent as well. Perhaps it’s too big for the Gordon’s on their own and see the way ahead with Foley.
But on the general point , Scottish Football again watching from the sidelines

Watching from the sidelines regarding what? Scottish clubs aren't going to be at the top table for a European Super League so what is it Cormack thinks they should be discussing?

chippy
21-12-2023, 10:35 AM
Could such a scenario lead to a reset of sorts.

I will be honest I have no interest these days in English football or European football unless it involves hibs. I used to watch lots of the English and European football when it started being shown

If the big teams disappear to some European set up, could those left behind then go back to how football used to be with a bit of local interest and maybe some old style true European knockout stuff.

Hopefully it will be something like that. A mix of domestic 16/18 club league alongside a cross border league with European clubs including the English ‘left behind clubs. A knock out Euro Cup for all the left behind premier clubs would be some tourney

He's here!
21-12-2023, 10:37 AM
And yet people love watching it.

They do. And the backers of the new set-up will be aware of the huge viewing audiences it will generate. It's simply not for me.

Details of the proposed new leagues just been announced (including a 32-team women's league alongside the 64-team men's league):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

He's here!
21-12-2023, 10:39 AM
Watching from the sidelines regarding what? Scottish clubs aren't going to be at the top table for a European Super League so what is it Cormack thinks they should be discussing?

He seems certain Celtic and Sevco will be involved. I'm guessing he means the rest should be working out the best structure for Scottish domestic football without the Glasgow big two. As you say, none of the also-rans in the Scottish top flight will be part of this.

His reference to cross-border leagues is heartening. That's been the way forward for some time now IMHO if we're to inject some clout/variety to our game.

chippy
21-12-2023, 10:41 AM
They do. And the backers of the new set-up will be aware of the huge viewing audiences it will generate. It's simply not for me.

Details of the proposed new leagues just been announced (including a 32-team women's league alongside the 64-team men's league):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

Wow faster than I thought. Probably a holding position just now but it’s gonna happen pretty soon.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2023, 10:44 AM

Clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will not survive with our current infrastructure in a Scottish league without Celtic and Rangers. It’s just not possible. We will need a cross border league with teams a similar size to us.

Baader
21-12-2023, 10:45 AM
He seems certain Celtic and Sevco will be involved. Maybe he means the rest should be working out the best structure for Scottish domestic football without the Glasgow big two. As you say, none of the also-rans in the Scottish top flight will be part of this.

I'd imagine they would be, that lot have wanted out of Scotland for years. But he also states Aberdeen are "working with like minded clubs across Europe to make sure we do our utmost to deliver European club competition with similarly competitive clubs." Whatever that means. The loss of the Glasgow two would surely make European football an easier possibility under the current UEFA model unless he thinks that will go? Just sounds like a load of PR waffle.

He's here!
21-12-2023, 10:45 AM
Wow faster than I thought. Probably a holding position just now but it’s gonna happen pretty soon.

Plans will have been all but finalised well in advance of the court ruling and the clubs who signed up last time will already have agreed to do so again.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2023, 10:46 AM
Not really bothered tbh. I'm a Hibs and Scotland fan and I enjoy watching Scottish lower league and non league football.

Other football is all just external noise to me now. I'd support Hibs if it was 11 guys plucked from the local park playing for us and whilst I appreciate some people enjoy the CL and whatever else to watch the best play the best it's of minimal interest to me. A closed shop Euro league is of no interest to me and I'm not sure it has all that much impact on our place in the pecking order either.

It's keeping the already closed shop closed albeit it might see a few 'legacy' clubs who have fallen on harder times inside before the door is slammed shut.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2023, 10:47 AM
European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67783970)

The plan would feature a league system with 64 clubs across three leagues in the men's competition, and 32 clubs across two leagues in the women's competition. Both would involve promotion and relegation.
The ESL had initially been intended to be a midweek competition consisting of two groups of 10 teams, followed by a play-off phase.
Anger grew when details emerged that the 12 founding clubs would never have to forfeit their places in the league, locking out all but five other clubs across the whole of Europe in the process, once another three founding clubs had been confirmed.
Fans protested that the ESL would be detrimental to leagues across Europe and that greed was the driving factor for clubs joining, with no consideration for supporters.

lol, almost as ridiculous as the sides entering the CL, when they haven't won their league :rolleyes:

neil7908
21-12-2023, 10:49 AM

I love this line from the BBC article:

"Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform."

How long do we reckon this lasts? 2-3 years maybe?

They must really think football fans are stupid if they want us to believe this will stay free to air.

Ozyhibby
Not really bothered tbh. I'm a Hibs and Scotland fan and I enjoy watching Scottish lower league and non league football.

Other football is all just external noise to me now. I'd support Hibs if it was 11 guys plucked from the local park playing for us and whilst I appreciate some people enjoy the CL and whatever else to watch the best play the best it's of minimal interest to me. A closed shop Euro league is of no interest to me and I'm not sure it has all that much impact on our place in the pecking order either.

It's keeping the already closed shop closed albeit it might see a few 'legacy' clubs who have fallen on harder times inside before the door is slammed shut.

If Celtic and Rangers are in a euro super league then the long term effects will be massive. Every kid in Scotland will be drawn to one of those two clubs playing in the big league.

SickBoy32
Clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will not survive with our current infrastructure in a Scottish league without Celtic and Rangers. It’s just not possible. We will need a cross border league with teams a similar size to us.

How no? Aye we'd lose approx £500k in ticket sales to the OF, a chunk of TV money - but why couldn't we just scale back the wages we are paying and cut our cloth accordingly?

A fairer and more competitive league could potentially lead to an increase in average attendance across the board, which would help to mitigate the above losses.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2023, 10:52 AM
How no? Aye we'd lose approx £500k in ticket sales to the OF, a chunk of TV money - but why couldn't we just scale back the wages we are paying and cut our cloth accordingly?

A fairer and more competitive league could potentially lead to an increase in average attendance across the board, which would help to mitigate the above losses.

We could scale back the wages but we can’t unbuild east mains. It costs a fortune to run it and with vastly reduced tv money, sponsorship money and lower ticket sales it would become unaffordable. All eyes in Scotland would be drawn towards the new shiny big league with two Scottish teams in it.

EGL2000
21-12-2023, 10:53 AM
People are kidding themselves on if they don't already think this is the situation. The current champions league structure is hugely beneficial to the big teams in the big leagues and is only getting worse.

I will give credit for the introduction of the conference league though. This tournament has actually been very refreshing with lots of different teams getting a good chance at group stage football.

SickBoy32
21-12-2023, 10:54 AM
If Celtic and Rangers are in a euro super league then the long term effects will be massive. Every kid in Scotland will be drawn to one of those two clubs playing in the big league.

Are those same people not already being drawn to the OF, due to their relentless domestic success, and participation the champions league / europa league finals etc?

Not sure less success, and still playing the bigger European clubs, would really lead to a surge in OF fans?

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2023, 10:54 AM

so we would indeed be shopping in a different market for players, just not the one we are presently hoping for in the very near future

chippy
21-12-2023, 10:56 AM

I agree but couldn’t we play in a domestic league of say 12 ( 22 games) alongside a euro league of say 14 clubs( 26 games plus knock out stages )

The last ESL proposals suggested staying in domestic leagues

EGL2000
21-12-2023, 10:57 AM

Think it has a huge impact on us financially. Europe is currently by far our largest financial incentive in terms of results based finance. We have pretty much no chance of winning the league and the cups make us nowhere near as much as a group stage appearance would in Europe.

CapitalGreen
21-12-2023, 11:06 AM

Would we perhaps end up with a situation where people have 2 teams they follow, their domestic team and their super league team. I sometimes get the impression there are some folk who would love the chance to be able to support both Hibs and Celtic.

CapitalGreen
21-12-2023, 11:08 AM
Think it has a huge impact on us financially. Europe is currently by far our largest financial incentive in terms of results based finance. We have pretty much no chance of winning the league and the cups make us nowhere near as much as a group stage appearance would in Europe.

We don’t budget for being in Europe every season so losing that wouldn’t necessarily impact us financially. The financial impact will be if tv income and prize money is impacted.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2023, 11:11 AM

Every kid? I think that totally misread the direction of travel anong youngsters and football. Our average attendances are far higher than they were 20 or 30 years ago yet access to the top teams is easier than it has ever been and I'm not convinced the quality on show on the park is better. I remember when we had Sauzee and Latapy strutting their stuff Alex McLeish practically begging fans to turn up, crowds of 8-9K were common. Today that's a LC crowd and a big driver of that is the young team turning up. Same with our away crowds. When I was an away every week fan we regularly had 4-500 at away games. This week we are taking over 1000 to Dingwall 2 days before Christmas and I'd wager a sizeable number will be under 30.

It all seems like another one of the sporadic prophecies of doom we get about Scottish football from time to time. If fans wanted to turn their back on football here it would already be happening. You can 'support' any team in the world now by plugging a stick into your TV and logging onto Twitter. That's really no different from what supporting the OF in a super league would be. Your average new punter isn't getting a sniff of a ticket for a game. I'd anything would Celtic and Rangers potentially becoming mid table Euro also rams not be a deterrent to those with the glory hunter mindset?

My experience is only one experience but most of the people I encounter don't follow their team for the quality of the league, the team on the park or indeed the opposition team on the park etc etc. it's about family ties, community, history, loyalty. Reducing it to 'all the kids would walk away to watch a better league' totally misses the mark when it comes to the mindset of most fans imo.

WhileTheChief..
I wonder how fans of all the mega-rich clubs will feel when only 1 set of them can win a trophy each year?

They're used to winning almost every game they play. Gonna be a big change for lots of them hovering around mid table or fighting relegation to the 2nd tier.

Clubs in the top tier will only have the league to pay for - there's nothing else for them to aim for qualify for.

Maybe a Euro cup, big deal to them!

Man Utd or AC Milan trying to avoid the drop to the 2nd tier - aye their fans will be happy with that right enough.

Screw them. Each and every one of them that is in favour of this.

Hopefully national governments will step in, change the laws, and kick them up the arse.

one day maybe...
Fingers crossed they do go.. It honestly could be the huge boost our game needs in Scotland to make it more exciting.. As for the champions league I lost interest in it a a spectacle years ago. Not even a true Champions League anymore.. Draws rigged in a way that truly make the whole thing a farce. Let the big European teams continue to destroy the game but in my opinion there should be no way for any of them to compete in any other league rather than the one they choose to play in. Not one team in a super league and a second string in their national league. But I’m all for the ugly sisters leaving completely #GGTTH

Bishop Hibee
21-12-2023, 11:17 AM
I watch as many Scottish Championship games as Champions League these days. It should be possible for clubs of the size of Hibs, Dons etc to organise European fixtures in either a cross country league or a cup competition

Imagine the crowds home and away when we’re fighting for the league title!

EGL2000
21-12-2023, 11:27 AM
We don’t budget for being in Europe every season so losing that wouldn’t necessarily impact us financially. The financial impact will be if tv income and prize money is impacted.

Yes we don't budget for it but playing wise that's the only way we can really be taken to the next level. If we consistently make group stages for a couple seasons that's game changing money for a club like us.

Lago
21-12-2023, 11:30 AM

In your dreams

Skol
21-12-2023, 11:37 AM
I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on just how Hibs (hearts, Aberdeen etc) could be at the table and shaping this.

Haymaker
21-12-2023, 11:39 AM

"Fans would also be able to watch live matches for free on a new digital streaming platform."

They must really think football fans are stupid if they want us to believe this will stay free to air.

I can see it being free to air. However it will most likely be a game of quarters, with time outs, commercial breaks during the standardized 2 minute VAR checks and commentators going "this corner kick is brought to you by..."

Since90+2
21-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I wonder how fans of all the mega-rich clubs will feel when only 1 set of them can win a trophy each year?

They're used to winning almost every game they play. Gonna be a big change for lots of them hovering around mid table or fighting relegation to the 2nd tier.

Clubs in the top tier will only have the league to pay for - there's nothing else for them to aim for qualify for.

Maybe a Euro cup, big deal to them!

Man Utd or AC Milan trying to avoid the drop to the 2nd tier - aye their fans will be happy with that right enough.

Screw them. Each and every one of them that is in favour of this.

Hopefully national governments will step in, change the laws, and kick them up the arse.

Currently the big teams can win 2 major trophies to them, their domestic league and the Champions League. So the setup would be the same unless I am missing something?

patlowe
21-12-2023, 11:45 AM
I may be misunderstanding but am I right in thinking this isn't pulling clubs out of their domestic structures but essentially a reformatting of European football? In which case would the current UEFA tournaments be scrapped?

While there is the notion of the promotion/relegation, at only 62 clubs it would essentially represent a closed shop for huge swathes of good sized clubs, including any outside of the old firm in Scotland.

Mcbizz1998
21-12-2023, 11:54 AM
Won’t the English clubs be blocked from competing in this by the regulations coming into the UK? In which case, it won’t be a super league without them.

04Sauzee
21-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Was there not discussions around an Atlantic league at one point. I'm sure there were several different proposals that included Scottish clubs that didn't include Rangers and Celtic.

SickBoy32
21-12-2023, 11:57 AM
In your dreams

Haha insightful stuff - want to expand on that ?

Whose to say that the SPL, minus the OF - won't end up like the championship, where there are a number of teams competing for the title? And you think that wouldn't result in increased crowds?

It's actually remarkable to me that SPL teams get the crowds we currently do, as folk (myself included) are essentially turning up to watch a rigged tournament in its' current guise - in which 10 / 12 teams are quite literally there just to make up the numbers.

Since90+2
21-12-2023, 12:02 PM
I may be misunderstanding but am I right in thinking this isn't pulling clubs out of their domestic structures but essentially a reformatting of European football? In which case would the current UEFA tournaments be scrapped?

While there is the notion of the promotion/relegation, at only 62 clubs it would essentially represent a closed shop for huge swathes of good sized clubs, including any outside of the old firm in Scotland.

That's what I thought. It's essentially a replacement for the Champions League, domestic leagues will continue.

weecounty hibby
21-12-2023, 12:14 PM
I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on just how Hibs (hearts, Aberdeen etc) could be at the table and shaping this.

We won't be at any table trying to shape this. We are the cannon fodder for these big clubs now sadly. We will be an afterthought along with the majority of football clubs in Europe. The big, greedy clubs get greedily and bigger and Hibs etc get left behind. This has been on the cards since the early 90s when the bigger clubs, and Rangers, agitated for the champions league.
I'm sure youngsters will love it but I think older folk will hate it. I have long since stopped watching European football as I find it dull and soulless with no chance of a celtic, Forrest, Villa, Hamburg, PSV, Red Star etc winning it. Or the likes of Malmo, St Eteinne, Brugge getting to finals or our very own Hibs, Dundee, Dundee utd, Dunfermline all producing great runs. Sad day for football in my opinion

greenpaper55
21-12-2023, 12:25 PM
Seems like the twelve teams who instigated this whole thing will never be relegated from the new league ! How can this be fair ?

Stanton Spence
21-12-2023, 12:27 PM

So it’s not only just me who’s wondering what all this chat about losing money due to the old firm being involved in this euro league?
As far I understand it won’t affect the domestic leagues

linlithgowhibbie
21-12-2023, 12:36 PM
Whats the odds on Rantic "B" teams being allowed to play in Scotland whilst their main team challenges ( and fails) in Europe.

jeffers
21-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Did I misread the article ? I thought this new setup was in addition to domestic leagues, it was just a change to make the European games more of a league format.

Chorley Hibee
21-12-2023, 01:01 PM
Whats the odds on Rantic "B" teams being allowed to play in Scotland whilst their main team challenges ( and fails) in Europe.

That's what their escapades in the Lowland League are all about.

Remember how it was only meant to be for one season.

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2023, 01:01 PM
That's what I thought. It's essentially a replacement for the Champions League, domestic leagues will continue.

Ah, I got it totally wrong.

I thought it was a breakaway league type thing, as in clubs leaving the EPL or SPFL etc.

Chorley Hibee
21-12-2023, 01:03 PM

We're not at the table, we're an afterthought.

weecounty hibby
21-12-2023, 01:08 PM
Did I misread the article ? I thought this new setup was in addition to domestic leagues, it was just a change to make the European games more of a league format.

It is but its only a matter of time before they become the dominant leagues and domestic leagues are secondary. The fact that the European courts have said that Uefa and Fifa can't stop a superleague just makes it inevitable. It will be like golf when there was initial arguments but I now see that the different tours have all combined. Money making more money.

Diclonius
21-12-2023, 01:11 PM
Would we perhaps end up with a situation where people have 2 teams they follow, their domestic team and their super league team. I sometimes get the impression there are some folk who would love the chance to be able to support both Hibs and Celtic.

If Hibs become a second team for Edinburgh-based Celtic fans - and I don't mean this lightly - I'm away to support Dunfermline.

The "Lenny" lot are absolutely choking for this.

jeffers
21-12-2023, 01:12 PM
It is but its only a matter of time before they become the dominant leagues and domestic leagues are secondary. The fact that the European courts have said that Uefa and Fifa can't stop a superleague just makes it inevitable. It will be like golf when there was initial arguments but I now see that the different tours have all combined. Money making more money.

It wouldn’t surprise me, though I’d hope (probably naively) that fan power stops that.

ScottB
21-12-2023, 01:18 PM
I’m not sure I buy it, continuing to tinker with the UEFA tournaments, sure, whether those end up as a kind of three tier thing with promotion aspects etc, sure, why not.

Dozens of clubs leaving their domestic leagues? No. We saw the reaction, especially in England, who would be critical to that being a success. While there might be international interest in watching, let’s say, PSG versus Inter Milan, by the time you go even one or two rungs lower, PSV versus Lyon, or Celtic versus Club Brugge, will anyone care?

I think if you wanted a genuine, pan European league, it would be better being a sort of NFL type structure; regional divisions to retain that local aspect for most games, then a ‘post season’ of knockout games. That avoids some of the draw backs and would allow for promotion / relegation within the regional structures etc and you could keep national cups etc too…

Skol
21-12-2023, 01:22 PM
We're not at the table, we're an afterthought.
I agree with that but the OP implied we should be doing more to shape it. I do t see how we could and was interested in others thoughts on if or how we could.

He's here!
21-12-2023, 01:22 PM
Ah, I got it totally wrong.

I thought it was a breakaway league type thing, as in clubs leaving the EPL or SPFL etc.

If it gets off the ground and is a success that's what it will ultimately become. The clubs involved will follow the money.

Lancs Harp
21-12-2023, 01:25 PM
I’m not sure I buy it, continuing to tinker with the UEFA tournaments, sure, whether those end up as a kind of three tier thing with promotion aspects etc, sure, why not.

Dozens of clubs leaving their domestic leagues? No. We saw the reaction, especially in England, who would be critical to that being a success. While there might be international interest in watching, let’s say, PSG versus Inter Milan, by the time you go even one or two rungs lower, PSV versus Lyon, or Celtic versus Club Brugge, will anyone care?

I think if you wanted a genuine, pan European league, it would be better being a sort of NFL type structure; regional divisions to retain that local aspect for most games, then a ‘post season’ of knockout games. That avoids some of the draw backs and would allow for promotion / relegation within the regional structures etc and you could keep national cups etc too…

Bayern and United have already given this the thumbs down. Its still a long way from happening. It has very little support from supporters of EPL and Bundesliga clubs

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-12-2023, 01:37 PM
What's the difference between the super league and the "champions league"?

From next season it's a league format that will still take the top 4 from the top 4 leagues and PSG. Whilst the smaller league champions need to battle to join them

Is it that "founding members" can't be relegated? Clubs like barca and Real will always dine at the top table anyway

A new format is being forced through either via UEFA or a breakaway group. The question we have to contend with is be part of the new game, and take the riches alongside it or stick in our lane but be financially diluted even further.

And we've got Neil the donkey to make that decision on our behalf? God help us

CapitalGreen
21-12-2023, 01:47 PM
What's the difference between the super league and the "champions league"?

From next season it's a league format that will still take the top 4 from the top 4 leagues and PSG. Whilst the smaller league champions need to battle to join them

Is it that "founding members" can't be relegated? Clubs like barca and Real will always dine at the top table anyway

A new format is being forced through either via UEFA or a breakaway group. The question we have to contend with is be part of the new game, and take the riches alongside it or stick in our lane but be financially diluted even further.

And we've got Neil the donkey to make that decision on our behalf? God help us

It won’t be taking the best teams from each league each season, it’ll be the same teams in it every season regardless of how they perform domestically. Teams will only drop out if they are relegated from the 3rd tier.

DIXIHIBS
21-12-2023, 02:18 PM
So it’s not only just me who’s wondering what all this chat about losing money due to the old firm being involved in this euro league?
As far I understand it won’t affect the domestic leagues

Will there not be more European games therefore a reduced domestic league? A bit unclear tbh.

Wakeyhibee
21-12-2023, 02:50 PM
"Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game."

This bit is equally confusing. They want to run this side by side with UEFA competitions???

For that to happen will they suggest B teams for domestic leagues of these teams?

Skol
21-12-2023, 02:51 PM
Two leagues of 16 and one of 32. How does a league of 32 work. Even the 16s are 30 games before the knock out stage.

eastterrace
21-12-2023, 02:58 PM
Two leagues of 16 and one of 32. How does a league of 32 work. Even the 16s are 30 games before the knock out stage. They split into 2 groups of eight and the 32 split into 4 groups of 8 that’s how i see it going.

Green Reaper
21-12-2023, 03:15 PM
20 of the 32 teams in bottom league relegated out and replaced by the 20 best performing teams from domestic league's (not already in superleague) sounds mental,unless I am reading that wrong?

ScottB
21-12-2023, 03:52 PM
Their new setup sounds similar to the Nations League, but with relegation at the bottom tier.

Not clear how you would ‘qualify’ exactly, whether, say, a Scottish team getting relegated requires a Scottish team to take their place, or if there’s some other means of picking…

Also seems like it’s to replace the current UEFA setup, not the national leagues. Presumably they’ll be hoping for a PGA / LIV scenario where if the Super League can grab enough clubs, UEFA will be forced to the table and merge the whole thing together.

Billy Whizz
21-12-2023, 04:05 PM
This will happen at some stage, money talks

1875Sean
21-12-2023, 04:10 PM
Still hate the format, I know it will run along side the normal league but it’s only the bottom tier that will remove teams, you can end up staying the the star or gold league for years and not earn the right to be in Europe via the domestic league

Trinity Hibee
21-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Get this **** in the bin and keep the champs lge as the traditional format. Idiots running football hell bent on destroying the game for a bit of cash

Paul1642
21-12-2023, 04:39 PM
The main question for this while thing is where will the Saudi Money go. There’s no way they don’t slip in to their attempted benefit in a war between UEFA and the SL.

Best thing that could happen IMO is that the greedy clubs follow the money to the SL only for it it to flop, to the benefit of the teams that were left behind, brining a bit of balance to the game which is currently very weighted towards the same old 2-3 teams from each nation.

Certainly won’t hold my breath on that though.

Paul1642
21-12-2023, 05:02 PM
Money talks and what club owners are saying privately vs publicly might be very different things however a a quick look at club statements from X today puts the field a little like this

IN:

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Napoli

OUT:

Man U
Man City
PSG
Monaco
Inter Milan
Real Sociedad
Athletico Madrid
Bayern Munich
Dortmund
Roma
Celtic
Sevilla

As well as numerous others who probably weren’t invited anyway 😂

It might be a long term project but we aren’t going to see a super league in the next few years minimum IMO.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2023, 05:16 PM
Bayern and United have already given this the thumbs down. Its still a long way from happening. It has very little support from supporters of EPL and Bundesliga clubs

Jon Rahm said he'd never join LIV.

Lago
21-12-2023, 06:34 PM
Still hate the format, I know it will run along side the normal league but it’s only the bottom tier that will remove teams, you can end up staying the the star or gold league for years and not earn the right to be in Europe via the domestic league
Once established it will eclipse the domestic leagues.

lyonhibs
21-12-2023, 06:47 PM
I'd imagine they would be, that lot have wanted out of Scotland for years. But he also states Aberdeen are "working with like minded clubs across Europe to make sure we do our utmost to deliver European club competition with similarly competitive clubs." Whatever that means. The loss of the Glasgow two would surely make European football an easier possibility under the current UEFA model unless he thinks that will go? Just sounds like a load of PR waffle.

If this Europe mega league thing happens then for sure it replaces the current CL/Europa/Conference League structure.

There aren't enough days in the week otherwise!!

Baader
21-12-2023, 07:01 PM
If this Europe mega league thing happens then for sure it replaces the current CL/Europa/Conference League structure.

There aren't enough days in the week otherwise!!

UEFA aren't just going to let their competitions go though. At present this is a rival proposal, not a UEFA approved reformatting.

So I'd imagine any team that breaks away for a Super League would forfeit their right to appear in any UEFA competition. Could get very messy.

He's here!
21-12-2023, 07:04 PM
Get this **** in the bin and keep the champs lge as the traditional format. Idiots running football hell bent on destroying the game for a bit of cash

The Champions League is hardly a 'traditional' format. It all but ensures the biggest-moneyed clubs get in by opening it up to so many sides who are not champions. Why on earth does fourth place in the EPL get you in? When it was known as the European Cup you had to win your domestic league to get in (apart from the inaugural one where we were invited by dint of being the mighty Hibs!). Weird that they changed its name to something that doesn't reflect who takes part.

He's here!
21-12-2023, 07:06 PM
UEFA aren't just going to let their competitions go though. At present this is a rival proposal, not a UEFA approved reformatting.

So I'd imagine any team that breaks away for a Super League would forfeit their right to appear in any UEFA competition. Could get very messy.

At present it's the equivalent of the breakaway golf tour or, for those who remember that far back, Kerry Packer's rival cricket set-up.

WeeRussell
21-12-2023, 07:09 PM

Well… at first!

Irish_Steve
21-12-2023, 07:10 PM

Or Livi - still time for the latter

Since90+2
21-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Uefa and FIFA can't do anything about new club tournaments. That is effectively what the ruling says. And to be honest I agree, they don't have a monopoly on the game of football, anyone is free to setup up a football tournament.

Where they do have leverage is the international tournaments like the Euros and World Cup. Those are their tournaments, and they could ultimately say any player who plays outside their associations is not permitted to play in these tournaments. I suspect that is the road they will go down if they seem like they will be pushed out.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2023, 07:28 PM
Well… at first!

:hilarious :applause:

Trinity Hibee
21-12-2023, 09:01 PM
The Champions League is hardly a 'traditional' format. It all but ensures the biggest-moneyed clubs get in by opening it up to so many sides who are not champions. Why on earth does fourth place in the EPL get you in? When it was known as the European Cup you had to win your domestic league to get in (apart from the inaugural one where we were invited by dint of being the mighty Hibs!). Weird that they changed its name to something that doesn't reflect who takes part.

6 group games and a knockout. It’s the way it’s been for most in entirety. It may benefit the top sides. A way to get round that is remove seeding which I’d be in favour of but that’s not going to happen.

This crap they are dreaming up now is utter nonsense.

HibbyDave
22-12-2023, 06:56 AM
If the ugly sisters went to a super league what’s the betting they would be allowed to maintain a Scottish place for their “colts”?

Bridge hibs
22-12-2023, 07:05 AM
If the ugly sisters went to a super league what’s the betting they would be allowed to maintain a Scottish place for their “colts”?

And fast tracked to the top league as quick as you could say hearts league cup winners

chippy
22-12-2023, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bridge hibs;7532108]And fast tracked to the top league as quick as you could say hearts league cup winners[/QUOTE

The latest ESL proposals suggest clubs will play in both ESL and Domestic leagues. So clubs will carry massive squads to play weekend/ midweek most of the season. But the ESL will become the priority as that’s where most of the dosh will be. No need for a defined B team as the players you play in the domestic league will be a mix of squad players and first picks. Isn’t that what the EPL clubs do now to an extent

1875Sean
22-12-2023, 10:11 AM

The super league is in place of the champions league not the domestic league, they would still be in the spl

patlowe
22-12-2023, 04:48 PM
I guess what Cormack is thinking is Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen (and many other similar sized clubs across Europe) are never going to be in the top 62 or whatever it is, so there needs to be a level of solidarity to ensure European football (and all the resource associated with it) continues and can be accessible for those not just in the elite.

chippy
22-12-2023, 08:26 PM
I guess what Cormack is thinking is Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen (and many other similar sized clubs across Europe) are never going to be in the top 62 or whatever it is, so there needs to be a level of solidarity to ensure European football (and all the resource associated with it) continues and can be accessible for those not just in the elite.

That’s how I see it. If the 62 or so ‘elite’ (rich) clubs swan off to ESL, then they are kicked out of UEFA and the remaining clubs carry on with Champs league, Europa League ( re branded as Europa League Cup) and the Euro Conference League. Plenty very large clubs still left to have 3 cracking tournaments and I’d add another: a proper European knock out cup. All UEFA premier league clubs play in it to end up in a grand final. Let’s see who gets the fans interest then

Hibbyradge
22-12-2023, 08:52 PM

It'll be like Spotify on steroids.

The free service will have adverts pushing into the screen, popping up when the ball is out of play and ticker tape running across the bottom of the picture.

That will allow hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people around the world who currently afford subscription TV to watch games.

If you don't want the ads, there will be a premium service.

Eyrie
22-12-2023, 10:10 PM
It'll be like Spotify on steroids.

The free service will have adverts pushing into the screen, popping up when the ball is out of play and ticker tape running across the bottom of the picture.

That will allow hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people around the world who currently afford subscription TV to watch games.

If you don't want the ads, there will be a premium service.

I thought I had no interest in watching it until I read your promotional post.

Now I know I don't.

JimBHibees
22-12-2023, 10:56 PM
A closed shop Euro megaleague will probably be what does it for me, tbh.

Me too

ScottB
22-12-2023, 11:19 PM
Doesn’t seem anybody beyond Barca and Real are actually, publicly, signing up to this, so unless they manage to get a bunch more big names, they’ve no chance of pulling off even an LIV style merger / takeover of the UEFA competitions.

They seem to have gone very quiet on who is coughing up the required billions, last time it was JP Morgan, wouldn’t be a massive shock if it’s the Saudis this time.

chippy
23-12-2023, 03:06 AM
Me too

So what if 60-70 ‘elite’ rich clubs form their own Euro super league. There are a few hundred other pro clubs left in the UEFA camp. So unless it’s some Liv type merger with uefa then I’m sure these clubs will carry on. Perhaps the uefa competitions will carry on. There will be many many big to medium sized clubs left in uefa. Maybe the uefa clubs will thrive and grow and folks don’t bother with ESL?

PatHead
23-12-2023, 07:33 AM
Just a mechanism for the rich to get richer without having to give crumbs to the smaller and grassroots game.

Be just like American football with franchise clubs when money talks.

HibbyDave
23-12-2023, 07:35 AM
If we were invited to the top table who would be for it?