PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to learn

dastardly8
06-12-2023, 08:42 PM
When are we going to learn that when we go to Glasgow to show no respect to the opposing team roll our sleeves up and get torn in about it so tentative in all our play , toothless playing right into their hands giving them freedom to play

judas
06-12-2023, 08:46 PM
When are we going to learn that when we go to Glasgow to show no respect to the opposing team roll our sleeves up and get torn in about it so tentative in all our play , toothless playing right into their hands giving them freedom to play

The team we played was naive to the point of ridiculous.

I try not to judge based on old firm results, but to play such an attacking team against Celtic is folly.

And Monty’s statement about competing with the OF (a la Leicester) was also foolhardy. The first time I have criticised him.

Unseen work
06-12-2023, 09:06 PM
I get keeping possession and being composed, but there needs to be times we inject urgency into the game against Celtic both on and off the ball.

We weren’t pressing them enough, Miller was the prime example tonight - he’d go close to the winger but not close enough to actually prevent a cross.

Need to be in their face more.

We actually played out well at times, but when we got in forward positions we seemed to lack a bit of belief.

But all tactics aside, some of the individual errors tonight for goals is just indefensible

Mutu
06-12-2023, 09:25 PM
Easier said than done.

Don't have the players to park the bus. Going to get beat 9 times out of 10 so may as well have a punt.

Move on.

Musselbound
06-12-2023, 09:27 PM

I try not to judge based on old firm results, but to play such an attacking team against Celtic is folly.

And Monty’s statement about competing with the OF (a la Leicester) was also foolhardy. The first time I have criticised him.

Tend to agree with you about the statement. It's one thing saying it another doing it unfortunately.

Winston Ingram
06-12-2023, 09:30 PM
It’s absolutely ****in ridiculous playing 442 there.

2 v 3 in midfield away to the best team in the league is utterly brainless.

Real Emerald
06-12-2023, 09:35 PM
Playing out from the back gave us more problems than Celtic did when they had possession. We’ve practically no midfield so that tactic against Celtic at Parkhead is crazy.

Winston Ingram
06-12-2023, 09:42 PM
Playing out from the back gave us more problems than Celtic did when they had possession. We’ve practically no midfield so that tactic against Celtic at Parkhead is crazy.

It’s nuts playing out from the back when playing 2 in midfield. We struggle to get out our own 3rd.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-12-2023, 09:46 PM
I think NM needs to adapt our formation in games against the top 3. Especially away from home. A 2 man midfield on the biggest pitch, against the best players is asking for trouble imo

Having said that, the players were very poor. With us trying to play out from the back celtic were pressing us so high that either they won the ball back or we had to go long

Donegal Hibby
06-12-2023, 10:15 PM
Monty says that we came to parkhead with a game plan , looked the same game plan to me we have had every other week or am I missing something ? .
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/montgomery-disappointed-with-manner-of-goals

B.H.F.C
06-12-2023, 10:17 PM
Monty says that we came to parkhead with a game plan , looked the same game plan to me we have had every other week or am I missing something ? .
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/montgomery-disappointed-with-manner-of-goals

He clearly wanted to do something a bit different with Youan and Boyle up top.

Any game plan out the window when you give such a **** goal away after a few minutes.

The Harp Awakes
06-12-2023, 10:19 PM
It’s absolutely ****in ridiculous playing 442 there.

2 v 3 in midfield away to the best team in the league is utterly brainless.

Agreed. A crazy team selection and formation for a game away to Celtic. We needed to deny them space and get in their faces. Jair, Youan and Boyle, as much as I like them as ball players, should not all be starting in a game we were always going to be starved of possession.

Donegal Hibby
06-12-2023, 10:36 PM
He clearly wanted to do something a bit different with Youan and Boyle up top.

Any game plan out the window when you give such a **** goal away after a few minutes.

2 midfielders against the best team in the leagues 3 and trying to play it out from the back was crazy imo . Like Monty though just wish against superior opposition he'd have another system to try and make it abit harder for them .

Twice now we have played the old firm away and we could have easily lost 6 or 7 goals in both games .

Whatever about the game plan he had about Boyle and Youan up top the rest of it didn't work well once again imo .

Chorley Hibee
06-12-2023, 10:40 PM
For me, it wasn't so much the formation per se, but our continual inability to attack space when it presented itself, how painfully slow we are in possession, and how slow we are getting players up in support of the ball carrier.

To play the type of football we're attempting, then speed, on and off the ball, along with the speed of thought, is absolutely essential.

B.H.F.C
06-12-2023, 10:50 PM
For me, it wasn't so much the formation per se, but our continual inability to attack space when it presented itself, and how painfully slow we are in possession, and at getting players up in support of the ball carrier.

We are still too slow in every sense.

Agree with this. Didn’t really see the formation as an issue, the way we wanted to play was a much bigger problem for me. It just invited them to come up the park and we couldn’t get out. Yet more absolutely terrible goals lost that had very little to do with being cut open, exposed or whatever.

All that said, including the goal, we created 4 very good chances. I’ve seen us go to Parkhead and hardly do anything plenty times. Defensively we are absolutely abysmal though.

jeffers
06-12-2023, 11:12 PM
Agree with this. Didn’t really see the formation as an issue, the way we wanted to play was a much bigger problem for me. It just invited them to come up the park and we couldn’t get out. Yet more absolutely terrible goals lost that had very little to do with being cut open, exposed or whatever.

All that said, including the goal, we created 4 very good chances. I’ve seen us go to Parkhead and hardly do anything plenty times. Defensively we are absolutely abysmal though.

:agree: It keeps being brought up about our formation. Doesn’t matter an iota what formation you go with if the defending is as poor as our’s was tonight.

Donegal Hibby
06-12-2023, 11:31 PM
It’s nuts playing out from the back when playing 2 in midfield. We struggle to get out our own 3rd.

:agree: which ended up putting us under unnecessary pressure when we gave it away . Totally naive to think playing it out from the back with 2 midfielders against that sort of quality opposition is going to work !

Malthibby
06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Celtic turned up tonight, always difficult after that we made a couple of good chances
in the first half - they have to go in at Parkhead & they didn't.
Disappointing, very, have to do better next time but the other results mean no
damage done.
Work in progress.
ps well done Doidge on the goal. Had written him off, so what do I know......

Diclonius
07-12-2023, 01:25 AM
https://youtu.be/iZlpsneDGBQ

Heisenberg
07-12-2023, 05:31 AM
:agree: which ended up putting us under unnecessary pressure when we gave it away . Totally naive to think playing it out from the back with 2 midfielders against that sort of quality opposition is going to work !

We did it at ER against them and got a point using the exact same formation?

The main difference between last night and that game was that we didn’t gift them goals with piss poor defending at ER.

Since452
07-12-2023, 06:07 AM
My opinion on the current manager is pretty well known but last night I was happy enough for him to stick with his tactics, avoid any injuries and get down the road. Yes, we give away a lot of shots to teams but we'd have lost to Celtic regardless. They weren't off the back of a European game or anything. I've basically little interest in games in Glasgow these days. We're multiple levels below them. We could have played 550 and lost 1-0. Zero points is zero points.

JimBHibees
07-12-2023, 06:14 AM

The main difference between last night and that game was that we didn’t gift them goals with piss poor defending at ER.

No, no it is only the formation when we lose. We played the same team with the same formation and drew recently. Win our last three with only one defeat prior to that for eleven or so games with the same formation. Lose poor goals you are going to lose any game.

He's here!
07-12-2023, 06:39 AM

We're simply not good enough to do that. Nor are we good enough to try and shut up shop away to Celtic. We WILL learn but it will take an improvement in the calibre of player available to NM for that to happen.

Bottom line is that with the current squad we will lose at Celtic almost every time we go there. It's a case of making sure we maintain the recent good form against the teams around and below us.

He's here!
07-12-2023, 06:42 AM
My opinion on the current manager is pretty well known but last night I was happy enough for him to stick with his tactics, avoid any injuries and get down the road. Yes, we give away a lot of shots to teams but we'd have lost to Celtic regardless. They weren't off the back of a European game or anything. I've basically little interest in games in Glasgow these days. We're multiple levels below them. We could have played 550 and lost 1-0. Zero points is zero points.

Celtic had also had a rollicking from Rodgers after their first half display at St J. They were always going to be right up for this one. Sure, we made it easy for them but even without the gifted goals we'd still have lost.

Oh, and we almost always seem to play c*** in the purple strip.

Hibernian Verse
07-12-2023, 06:59 AM
We're simply not good enough to do that. Nor are we good enough to try and shut up shop away to Celtic. We WILL learn but it will take an improvement in the calibre of player available to NM for that to happen.

Bottom line is that with the current squad we will lose at Celtic almost every time we go there. It's a case of making sure we maintain the recent good form against the teams around and below us.

I think you're point about learning is key. We are going to play this way and doing so we've only lost in the league to Rangers & Celtic, both away, whilst drawing with Celtic at home keeping a clean sheet in the process.

To get better at it, we need to play it in tough games and it doesn't get any tougher than last night. The players will learn, the youngsters that got game time even more so, and crucially the manager and coaching staff will too.

green day
07-12-2023, 07:02 AM
It's a case of making sure we maintain the recent good form against the teams around and below us.

As is the case for pretty much every team in the league outside of Rangers. Yes there will be the odd team who play 451 and squeeze a draw.........but these same teams are languishing in the lower end of the division, so clearly our manager is doing something right.

Donegal Hibby
07-12-2023, 09:00 AM

I think that was on the back of them playing a European game and we were at home rather than being away .

Twice now we have played the old firm away and both times we have lost four goals that could easily have been 6 , 7 or worse .

When we play them again we will do exactly the same thing again too .

Only a matter of time before we take a right hiding from one of the old firm imo.

As much as I like Monty that ones down to his naive tactics again against a superior opponent .

B.H.F.C
07-12-2023, 09:09 AM
I think that was on the back of them playing a European game and we were at home rather than being away .

Twice now we have played the old firm away and both times we have lost four goals that could easily have been 6 , 7 or worse .

Only a matter of time before we take a right hiding from one of the old firm imo.

As much as I like Monty that ones down to his naive tactics again against a superior opponent .

It wasn’t naive tactics that cost us the first goal. There is nothing tactical in that. The mistake Fish made for the fourth, nothing tactical in that.

I don’t think we should have tried to play the way we did last night but it’s far too simplistic to say defeat was down to naive tactics.

Hibernian Verse
07-12-2023, 09:15 AM

What was naive about the tactics?

How did that naivety contribute to a corner, a cross, a penalty and Fish being bullied?

"naive tactics" are good buzzwords to post on Hibs.net after we lose but there is no substance in it.

The last thing I'd level at Montgomery is naivety, he finally has us organised and playing a brand of football. Finally, "that ones down to" Celtic having much better footballers. If we beat Forfar 4-1, Forfar.net isn't going to be crying about naive tactics.

Donegal Hibby
07-12-2023, 09:40 AM
What was naive about the tactics?

How did that naivety contribute to a corner, a cross, a penalty and Fish being bullied?

"naive tactics" are good buzzwords to post on Hibs.net after we lose but there is no substance in it.

The last thing I'd level at Montgomery is naivety, he finally has us organised and playing a brand of football. Finally, "that ones down to" Celtic having much better footballers. If we beat Forfar 4-1, Forfar.net isn't going to be crying about naive tactics.

Playing against Dundee , St Johnstone etc I don't mind it at all though that last night wasn't your run of the mill game , we were playing the best team in the league who we know can cut any team open and give you a doing , going with a two man midfield that lacked a ball winner against there 3 imo was naive as was trying to play it out from the back against a quality midfield when we are outnumbered there!

Manager said that Celtic didn't really carve us open , that last night was pretty similar to our trip to Ibrox were we were easily beaten in a game that probably should have ended up with us losing by a lot bigger margin.If you stick your hand in the fire and get burnt you'd be unlikely to do it again , after what happened at Ibrox thats exactly what we did do , sad thing is we will probably do it again too !.

Big difference between forfar and Celtic btw .👍

He's here!
07-12-2023, 10:08 AM
We've won 6 times at Celtic Park in the last 50 years (I couldn't be bothered counting any further back) and taken a phenomenal number of four, five and six-goal thrashings there involving better Hibs sides than the current one. Maybe the only 'learning' we can take is that it's somewhere we are almost guaranteed to lose.

Heisenberg
07-12-2023, 10:36 AM

It’s really not anything to do with naive tactics. First goal we fail to deal with a set piece. Second goal Miller is terrible then we give them a free header. Third is an extremely soft pen and the fourth Will Fish gets easily bullied off the ball when he should be more than capable of dealing with it.

Again, we played the same way and got a result against them last time. More than happy for us to try it again.

Unseen work
07-12-2023, 10:44 AM
It’s really not anything to do with naive tactics. First goal we fail to deal with a set piece. Second goal Miller is terrible then we give them a free header. Third is an extremely soft pen and the fourth Will Fish gets easily bullied off the ball when he should be more than capable of dealing with it.

Again, we played the same way and got a result against them last time. More than happy for us to try it again.

Yep, none of the goals came from us being outnumbered in the middle .

All really poor goals to give away

B.H.F.C
07-12-2023, 10:47 AM

When you look at all the goals it’s not as if there is a lack of bodies there so the point about us not getting cut open for any of the goals is fair in that respect.

First goal, dreadful defending from a set piece. Second goal, Levitt sees the goalscorer and can’t be bothered tracking. Third goal we have 8 players in the box but fail to deal properly. Fourth goal is just a really bad mistake from Fish

SlickShoes
07-12-2023, 10:52 AM
Is it worth changing your tactics and everything for 4 away games a season against 2 teams that 9/10 times will win anyway? Or do you stick with the overall goal you are working towards and just use these games as a different test for that?

I don’t know what’s best but most of the time we lose these games just due to the vast difference in quality of player regardless of how we set up. If it’s once or twice a season you could potentially surprise them, but over so many games we arent going to get a lot from them.

Donegal Hibby
07-12-2023, 12:19 PM

Fair enough mate , your entitled to your opinion though I didn't think it worked at Ibrox and I didn't think it worked last night either .

We went with a midfield of Newell and Levitt against a team with superior players who had a extra man , probably our best ball winning midfielder we left on the bench too .

Against Aberdeen we got caught 3 or 4 times trying to play out from the back thankfully though we got away with it , against quality players like the old firm have you will normally get punished .

The four goals we lost could easily have ended up being a lot more maybe 6 , 7 or more which Celtic can do to you though there has been a couple of occasions when teams have had success like Motherwell and St Johnstone by getting there tactics right . Last night we made it to easy for Celtic imo .

richard_pitts
07-12-2023, 12:26 PM

Celtic have a habit of dropping points and giving sub-standard performances the weekend after a European game. We could have shut up shop and still lost 4-1. Plenty of teams have done so, even this season.

Keith_M
07-12-2023, 12:39 PM

That was my criticism of our approach the last time we went to both Ibrox and Celtic Park, so it looks like Monty has made the same mistake as LJ.

The Modfather
07-12-2023, 01:44 PM
Fair enough mate , your entitled to your opinion though I didn't think it worked at Ibrox and I didn't think it worked last night either .

We went with a midfield of Newell and Levitt against a team with superior players who had an extra man , probably our best ball winning midfielder we left on the bench too .

Against Aberdeen we got caught 3 or 4 times trying to play out from the back thankfully though we got away with it , against quality players like the old firm have you will normally get punished .

The four goals we lost could easily have ended up being a lot more maybe 6 , 7 or more which Celtic can do to you though there has been a couple of occasions when teams have had success like Motherwell and St Johnstone by getting there tactics right . Last night we made it to easy for Celtic imo .

The flip side to Celtc almost scoring 6 or 7 was that we could also have scored another 2 or 3 if we were clinical. We didn’t go there and shut up shop, but it’s not like we had no chances ourselves. 4-1 was a fair result.

Trips to Glasgow are just games to get out of the way without any injuries or suspensions. We might sneak the odd point there once every few seasons by setting up for a 0-0 but we’ll still lose the vast majority of games however we set up. Probably more benefit continuing with a system we’re still learning and hope to be clinical for once rather than go there to shut up shop and hope the opposition have an off day.

We could have played Jeggo last night. Would he have reduced the number of chances Celtc created, possibly. Would he have stopped any of the 4 goals, probably not. Would we have created less chances ourselves with Jeggo, probably.

superfurryhibby
07-12-2023, 01:52 PM
Monty isn't for changing approach, within the boundaries of his set up. |He's making his point about players and their need to fit in with the team requirements, hence dropping players or switching positions. The team is evolving, some looking more comfortable even (like Rocky). There is structure and an expectation about the role expected of you.

Tyler Durden
07-12-2023, 02:05 PM

We went with a midfield of Newell and Levitt against a team with superior players who had a extra man , probably our best ball winning midfielder we left on the bench too .

We didn't.

We gave the ball away in our own half a few times first half, leading to chances. That wasn't the result of playing out from the back, it was general sloppy play by Vente and then Whittaker.

Donegal Hibby
07-12-2023, 11:43 PM
We didn't.

We gave the ball away in our own half a few times first half, leading to chances. That wasn't the result of playing out from the back, it was general sloppy play by Vente and then Whittaker.

We did . That was a result of us trying to play out from the back , I agree though our play was sloppy though some credit has to go to Aberdeen for closing us down and forcing us into making errors.

We are trying to draw teams onto us by playing out from the back , the sloppy play by Vente you refer too is because of us trying to play out from the back . Marshall gets a back pass( Newell I think ) , he then passes to Levitt who under pressure then tries to pass it again which leads to us being in bother , only for a fine save from Marshall prevented us losing a goal .

If you don't think we are now regularly trying to play out from the back , that's fair enough mate .
https://youtu.be/Dgu-XvOQobI?si=3G_a6uzzA1tGs8iz

Winston Ingram
08-12-2023, 05:38 AM

We played that game completely differently.

We played it the way pretty much all teams that play 442 these days play it. Double bank in your own third and counter.

It was like the way we played it v Aberdeen on Sunday. Trying to play out from the goalie knowing we were going to be outnumbered by the time we got to their half, and then inevitably conceding a shed load of chances.

Winston Ingram
08-12-2023, 05:51 AM
We didn't.

We got caught loads of time playing out from the back v Aberdeen. Particularly 2nd half. Absolutely no debating that. We were doing it so badly, that Aberdeen smelt blood, and pretty much camped in our half, knowing it was very unlikely we were going to get out.

Tyler Durden
08-12-2023, 07:54 AM
We got caught loads of time playing out from the back v Aberdeen. Particularly 2nd half. Absolutely no debating that. We were doing it so badly, that Aberdeen smelt blood, and pretty much camped in our half, knowing it was very unlikely we were going to get out.

None of Aberdeen's chances came from dispossessing us "playing out from the back".

Tyler Durden
08-12-2023, 07:58 AM
We did . That was a result of us trying to play out from the back , I agree though our play was sloppy though some credit has to go to Aberdeen for closing us down and forcing us into making errors.

We are trying to draw teams onto us by playing out from the back , the sloppy play by Vente you refer too is because of us trying to play out from the back . Marshall gets a back pass( Newell I think ) , he then passes to Levitt who under pressure then tries to pass it again which leads to us being in bother , only for a fine save from Marshall prevented us losing a goal .

If you don't think we are now regularly trying to play out from the back , that's fair enough mate .
https://youtu.be/Dgu-XvOQobI?si=3G_a6uzzA1tGs8iz

Of course we are playing out from the back. We were never dispossessed in our own half due to playing out from the back.

In the example you mention, Vente has comfortable possession nearly on the halfway line. He chooses to pass first time and plays the ball straight to an Aberdeen player 30 yards from our goal, leading to McGrath's chance.

The other example leading to a chance, Whittaker gives the ball away to Shinnie. It didn't come from our goal kick, he's just gave the ball away after Hibs being in possession.

When will we learn though eh.

GreenPJ
08-12-2023, 09:48 AM
Is it worth changing your tactics and everything for 4 away games a season against 2 teams that 9/10 times will win anyway? Or do you stick with the overall goal you are working towards and just use these games as a different test for that?

I don’t know what’s best but most of the time we lose these games just due to the vast difference in quality of player regardless of how we set up. If it’s once or twice a season you could potentially surprise them, but over so many games we arent going to get a lot from them.

:agree: No one likes to concede 3 or 4 and there is nothing sweeter than taking something off the old firm, however, our focus should have been and needs to be on the other games. If you can start winning them regularly then 3rd place not only becomes a possibility but it becomes reality, that then brings some more money from league placement and Europe and in turn allows for better players to then start to try and get something off the old firm away from home.

Winston Ingram
08-12-2023, 09:58 AM
None of Aberdeen's chances came from dispossessing us "playing out from the back".

Nonsense.

Sokhler 1st half, Miovski first half, McGrath 1st half an Miovski 2nd half and that's just the ones I've seen from rewatching the highlights.

They were constantly catching us in possession 2nd half.

Hibernian Verse
08-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Nonsense.

Sokhler 1st half, Miovski first half, McGrath 1st half an Miovski 2nd half and that's just the ones I've seen from rewatching the highlights.

Agree.

Have to say though, Aberdeen's players are good enough to do it. As are Hearts, Rangers & Celtic.

The rest of the league won't press us that high because we could cut through them like butter. Tomorrow we will see Livi defending from the half way line rather than our 18 yard box.

Tyler Durden
08-12-2023, 10:20 AM
Nonsense.

Nonsense.

Catching us in possession is not the same as us giving the ball away playing out from the back. McGrath and Miovski's chances came from us giving the ball away in midfield. Not from Marshall and our CBs messing about on goal kicks which is the inference from other posters.

Hibernia&Alba
08-12-2023, 12:30 PM
Going away to either of the Old Firm presents a dilemma: go ultra defensive and invite pressure or be more attacking, so leaving more gaps for them to exploit. Any system and tactics has its pros and cons, and the fact is they usually have better players and will win more often than not. Results show we regularly get pumped at Parkhead and Ibrox, just like all other teams. It’s unpleasant, but it’s a fact of life. We occasionally get to win in Glasgow, which is always enjoyable.

Winston Ingram
08-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Nonsense.

Catching us in possession is not the same as us giving the ball away playing out from the back. McGrath and Miovski's chances came from us giving the ball away in midfield. Not from Marshall and our CBs messing about on goal kicks which is the inference from other posters.

The Sokhler chance came from when Marshall rolled into Levitt who gave it away when under pressure trying to pass to Whittaker.

The Miovski/McGrath chance came from us playing at around the back 4 for a bit then Fish playing it Campbell, Campbell then passed it back to Whittaker, who lost it under pressure.

The last Miovski chance came from Marshall nearly getting caught on the ball after Rocky passed him a bye kick, then having to stretch to clear it. It went straight to Gartenmen, who then worked a cross in where Miovski side-footed wide.

It's exactly playing out from the back.

That's the only ones I can evidence from the highlights. It happened many times throughout the game but to say none of their chances came from us playing out from the back is made-up pish. These incidents are there on YouTube and BBC for all to see.

Irish_Steve
08-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Team with 20 times (probably more) manages to beat team with an inferior budget - hold the back page!

B.H.F.C
08-12-2023, 01:32 PM
The way of playing is bringing far more positives than it is negatives.

We’ve lost 2 out of 12 league games, both in Glasgow.

There’ll be defeats along the way but we’ve seen big improvements in comparison to the shambles that was the start of the season. Couple of changes, couple of his own players in and hopefully that improvement will continue.