PDA

View Full Version : Celtic visit the Vatican

Carheenlea
29-11-2023, 11:33 AM
Proper playing to the gallery stuff. A “private” visit that they make sure to share on their social media channels in a not so private manner.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brendan-rodgers-presents-pope-francis-28194948

Alex Trager
29-11-2023, 11:42 AM
Just seen that on twitter. Was certain it was a joke!

gbhibby
29-11-2023, 12:17 PM
Heard the Pope said to Brendan If it wasn't for the Hibbys you'd be ****.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2023, 12:35 PM
Heard the Pope said to Brendan If it wasn't for the Hibbys you'd be ****.[emoji23]

Pope said nah, I haven't a clue when Sevco will get a penalty awarded against them either.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

gbhibby
29-11-2023, 12:45 PM
[emoji23]

Pope said nah, I haven't a clue when Sevco will get a penalty awarded against them either.

He then said there was more likelihood of the second coming happening before they would get a penalty awarded against them.

Bostonhibby
29-11-2023, 12:57 PM
He then said there was more likelihood of the second coming happening before they would get a penalty awarded against them.What? Ian Paisley's coming back?

Chorley Hibee
29-11-2023, 02:40 PM
what? Ian paisley's coming back?

Sent from my sm-a750fn using tapatalk

Never! Never! Never!

Keith_M
29-11-2023, 02:43 PM
I think it would be more newsworthy if The Rangers visited the Vatican.

Since452
29-11-2023, 02:54 PM
The Vatican beat them 1-0

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Our former owner met more than one Pope over the years.
In fact ,STF helped organise the Papal visit to Scotland of Pope John Paul 2 in 1982.
I saw John Paul close up back then,but i did not give him a Hibs top !

St John Paul was supposedly a very good goalkeeeper as a student in his native Poland.

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 02:56 PM

Oh! no Hhuns in Rome !!

The Modfather
29-11-2023, 03:01 PM
In itself nothing wrong with a football team visiting the pope. In context, another example of Celtc cultivating a religious rivalry that has made them and Rangers very rich and successful.

overdrive
29-11-2023, 03:04 PM
In itself nothing wrong with a football team visiting the pope. In context, another example of Celtc cultivating a religious rivalry that has made them and Rangers very rich and successful.

It’s a bit cringe.

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Proper playing to the gallery stuff. A “private” visit that they make sure to share on their social media channels in a not so private manner.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/brendan-rodgers-presents-pope-francis-28194948

Private it was not !!

Well planned in advance i imagine ,as far back as when Celtic knew they were in same group as Lazio.
Saying that they had time to make a special top that didn't have the sponsors logo on it ! Francis is teetotal !!
Magners will love that for potential sales in Italy.

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 03:38 PM

Thats a common perception.
I dont think Celtic have ever described themselves as a Catholic club .
The Celtic support is not exclusively Catholic either. Although the majority likely are .
Two of my close pals followed Celtic for decades. Neither was Catholic or even religious.
Glory hunters,maybe !
Celtic do feed on their Irish roots,of course ,but i never saw that as anti Protestant.

Sevco for a large part of their existence would never (knowingly) sign a Catholic.
In fact. rAngers players back in the day who married a Catholic soon found themselves looking for another club.

neil7908
29-11-2023, 03:39 PM
In the same week we see a last minute Sevco penalty when they are a goal down.

Some things never change in Scottish football.

The Modfather
29-11-2023, 04:01 PM
The Celtic support is not exclusively Catholic either. Although the majority likely are .
Two of my close pals followed Celtic for decades. Neither was Catholic or even religious.
Glory hunters,maybe !
Celtic do feed on their Irish roots,of course ,but i never saw that as anti Protestant.

Sevco for a large part of their existence would never (knowingly) sign a Catholic.
In fact. rAngers players back in the day who married a Catholic soon found themselves looking for another club.

Irish, British, Catholic, Protestant it’s all interwoven. It would be naive, IMO, to think only one side has cultivated a religious rivalry while the other has only ever played on their Irish routes.

Anyway, I’ll bow out having said my peace.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2023, 04:13 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson was playing for Rangers when he married his Catholic girlfriend in 1966.

By 1967 he was playing for Falkirk where he stayed for 4 years.

Alex Trager
29-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Glory hunters,maybe !

Why would Celtic visit the Vatican today if they were not a catholic club?

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 05:13 PM
If you think they are a Catholic club. Ok with me.
Am not going to argue about it.

Alex Trager
29-11-2023, 05:18 PM

I’m asking a question, not saying one way or another.

It seems weird for a club to do that full stop.

It would be even weirder if they never considered themselves catholic.

monarch
29-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Glory hunters,maybe !

Alex Ferguson, Graham Fyffe and Bobby Russell to name three.
Also a director David Hope who instigated the very successful Rangers Pools. Normally someone who made such a contribution to their finances at the time would have become chairman but was considered unsuitable due to his marital situation.

stuart-farquhar
29-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Ah bless them!

Mick O'Rourke
29-11-2023, 06:01 PM
I’m asking a question, not saying one way or another.

It seems weird for a club to do that full stop.

It would be even weirder if they never considered themselves catholic.

Alex I wrote this

You do not have to be a Roman Catholic to have an audience with the Pope :greengrin
Some Celtic players and senior staff including the Celtic captain who all met the Pope are not Roman Catholic.
At least two long well established current Celtic players come from rAngers/lodge supporting family backgrounds.:agree:

I know how its perceived though....... Celtic going to The Vatican.

The hunhordes will be spewing up seeing all that !!

1van Sprou7e
29-11-2023, 06:24 PM
People talking about whether or not they are a "catholic" club are missing the main point imo

The Vatican is abhorrent as an institution, on par with the British monarchy and they deserve to be ridiculed for this visit

marinello59
29-11-2023, 06:36 PM

They're a club who are happy to exploit peoples perception of them as Catholic. This looks like a pretty cynical ploy by them.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2023, 06:39 PM
They're a club who are happy to exploit peoples perception of them as Catholic. This looks like a pretty cynical ploy by them.

Utterly milking it they are.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2023, 07:21 PM
The OP covered it nicely. It's playing to the gallery.

Everything else about Celtic being a Catholic club or otherwise is just noise. There are people who will see this as just another shot fired in the most tedious and cringeworthy rivalry in world football.

A section of the Ash Wednesday Gospel may be worth considering for Celtic this evening:

"When you pray,
do not be like the hypocrites,
who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners
so that others may see them.
Amen, I say to you,
they have received their reward.
But when you pray, go to your inner room,
close the door, and pray to your Father in secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

Greenwich_Hibby
29-11-2023, 07:27 PM
Attention seeking, irrelevant and a club trying to deflect another embarrassment.

Glory Lurker
29-11-2023, 07:30 PM
Tragic, hilarious and toe-curling-cringe-inducing.

gbhibby
29-11-2023, 08:08 PM
Thought there would have been more witty repartee on this thread

neil7908
29-11-2023, 11:02 PM

Indeed. How many other football clubs have been invited to the Vatican?

This isn't just some weird coincidence, they specifically are being invited for a reason.

I wonder what that could be...

heretoday
29-11-2023, 11:22 PM
Manchester United have been to the Vatican.

HarpOnHibee
30-11-2023, 01:55 AM
Celtic visit an institution embroiled in predatory behaviour. The Rangers hang up pictures of a family embroiled in predatory behaviour in their home dressing room.

Both love to bend the knee to corrupt institutions while attacking the other for it. Probably best not to pay them any attention for it. :yawn:

lyonhibs
30-11-2023, 07:28 AM
The OP covered it nicely. It's playing to the gallery.

Everything else about Celtic being a Catholic club or otherwise is just noise. There are people who will see this as just another shot fired in the most tedious and cringeworthy rivalry in world football.

A section of the Ash Wednesday Gospel may be worth considering for Celtic this evening:

"When you pray,
do not be like the hypocrites,
who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners
so that others may see them.
Amen, I say to you,
they have received their reward.
But when you pray, go to your inner room,
close the door, and pray to your Father in secret.
And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

I am not in the slightest bit religious, anti if anything, but the highlighted passage could apply (adjusted for context/content) to about 99% of social media content as well.

Obvious visibilty ploy from Celtc, very weird. The Vatican as well, what a horrid institution. Skeletons in those gilded marble closets that would make the BBC/Royal Family wince.

Brizo
30-11-2023, 07:54 AM
I am not in the slightest bit religious, anti if anything, but the highlighted passage could apply (adjusted for context/content) to about 99% of social media content as well.

[B]Obvious visibilty ploy from Celtc, very weird. The Vatican as well, what a horrid institution. Skeletons in those gilded marble closets that would make the BBC/Royal Family wince.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour and cover-ups perpetrated by members of all three institutions. When it comes to enabling and then turning a blind eye to child abuse I don't think any of those three institutions can take the moral high ground over the others but obviously that's just my opinion.

EastStandGates
30-11-2023, 10:19 AM
Non-story really. If they played in Istanbul and visited any of the grand mosques no-one would be arsed in the slightest. It's a marketing ploy.

It's also split alot of their fan base. Some for it, the more left wing antifa types dead against it seeing as how the catholic church enabled Franco and Mussolini.

Brightside
30-11-2023, 10:33 AM
not sure what the issue is. catholic team is in Rome so visits pope. Would be more odd if they didn't visit.

monarch
30-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Contrary to their image Celtic have had a long line of “Proddy” captains namely Bobby Evans, Bertie Peacock, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalgliesh, Danny McGrain, Scott Brown and Callum McGregor. Possibly more.

Crunchie
30-11-2023, 01:28 PM

Pathetic stunt, wtf is the pope going to do with a signed shirt

The Harp
30-11-2023, 01:33 PM
Indeed. How many other football clubs have been invited to the Vatican?

This isn't just some weird coincidence, they specifically are being invited for a reason.

I wonder what that could be...

Was it not a case of celtic applying for an audience with Pope Francis rather than them being invited?

Corstorphine Hibby
30-11-2023, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=Brizo;7518458][/B]

Absolutely disgusting behaviour and cover-ups perpetrated by members of all three institutions. When it comes to enabling and then turning a blind eye to child abuse I don't think any of those three institutions can take the moral high ground over the others but obviously that's just my opinion.

Don't forget the (literally) tens of thousands of Catholic run charities around the world that spend (literally) billions on helping the needy 👍

Torto7
30-11-2023, 01:41 PM
Glory hunters,maybe !

All true although most will ignore it. Celtic have a large group of ****my fans and always have done but they aren't bigoted as a club. Political when it suits the hierarchy but not bigoted at board level.

chippy
30-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Private it was not !!

Well planned in advance i imagine ,as far back as when Celtic knew they were in same group as Lazio.
Saying that they had time to make a special top that didn't have the sponsors logo on it ! Francis is teetotal !!
Magners will love that for potential sales in Italy.
Canny be teetotal if you drink communion wine

The Modfather
30-11-2023, 01:51 PM
All true although most will ignore it. Celtic have a large group of ****my fans and always have done but they aren't bigoted as a club. Political when it suits the hierarchy but not bigoted at board level.

They aren’t bigoted as a club, in the same way Rangers haven’t been bigoted as a club for the last 20/30/40 years. They, like Rangers, are happy to exploit the sectarian divide that makes them rich and both clubs bigger worldwide than they otherwise would be simply from football achievements though.

Brizo
30-11-2023, 01:57 PM

Don't forget the (literally) tens of thousands of Catholic run charities around the world that spend (literally) billions on helping the needy 👍

Yes totally agree that despite the crimes committed they also do much good :aok:

Mick O'Rourke
30-11-2023, 01:57 PM
Canny be teetotal if you drink communion wine

I tippled (pun intended) some one would say what you just said.
It could well be non alcoholic vino !......
or Ribena !!

Ther are substitutes for places/parishes that cant get wine
I doubt he is into magners though :greengrin

He could have his office auction the top
Proceeds to youth football club in poor district of Rome

Corstorphine Hibby
30-11-2023, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=Corstorphine Hibby;7518592]

Yes totally agree that despite the crimes committed they also do much good :aok:

👍

Bostonhibby
30-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Pathetic stunt, wtf is the pope going to do with a signed shirtHe's a top rated seller on Ebay, gets given all sorts of unwanted tacky ****** at his many audiences.

WeeRussell
30-11-2023, 10:00 PM

The same as what I’d do with it, maybe.

But probably not.

Bridge hibs
01-12-2023, 06:06 AM
The same as what I’d do with it, maybe.

But probably not.He will hang it up beside his other celtc tops, Man U tops, Burton Albion tops, Gary Mackays medals and hearts league cup

JimBHibees
01-12-2023, 06:12 AM
Contrary to their image Celtic have had a long line of “Proddy” captains namely Bobby Evans, Bertie Peacock, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalgliesh, Danny McGrain, Scott Brown and Callum McGregor. Possibly more.

Was Kenny ever Celtic captain

marinello59
01-12-2023, 09:49 AM
Was Kenny ever Celtic captain

Yes.

Pagan Hibernia
01-12-2023, 10:40 AM

Of which our club in its beginnings were an example

Hibiza
01-12-2023, 10:44 AM
Should have gone before the game

Pretty Boy
01-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Should have gone before the game

Steady on.

Turning bread and wine into flesh and blood is one thing. Getting Celtic a win in Europe is a whole other story.

Bishop Hibee
01-12-2023, 11:52 AM
Lots of teams get audiences with the Pope if they ask. The playing to the gallery is laughable though. Keep the mire rabid punters sweet. Pope Francis is a San Lorenzo fan.

JimBHibees
01-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Yes.

Fair enough genuinely can’t remember that.

Mick O'Rourke
01-12-2023, 12:17 PM

Wear it on next years holiday in Benidorm:greengrin
He wont be alone doing such in that resort.

It like many other thousands of gifts he gets will likely be given to charities to sell on or use,depending on gift/value.

Or then again he can keep it till Celtic win the Champions League ! then sell it !

Mick O'Rourke
01-12-2023, 12:33 PM
Fair enough genuinely can’t remember that.

Many of those legendary players and captains mentioned would have been more rAngers minded as kids.

Just the way it is in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire .
It really is a different world just 40 odd miles or so away from Edinburgh.
Certainly was that when i was a boy going to see relatives.
My old man grew up in a street in Lanark that vast majority non Catholic residents .
Many neighbours were musically gifted,but all seemed to play the same instument!
A Flute !!
My da and his 2 brothers joined a boxing club at a very early age.
And it paid off ! They all won titles and medals.
So they walked tall very soon !!
:take that:take that:cup::take that

Crazy and very tough times in bigotland in their day.
They were actually staying in Larkhall before flittin to Lanark!! :confused:

Frying pan and fire !!

norhfc
01-12-2023, 02:07 PM
Catholic club visits Catholic leader, can’t see how this is somehow controversial to be honest. Let them get on with it, like the other ugly.

Iain G
03-12-2023, 04:51 PM
Catholic club visits Catholic leader, can’t see how this is somehow controversial to be honest. Let them get on with it, like the other ugly.

It just the same as some wee kids wanting to go to harry potter world, they just enjoy being in that world with all that fictional magical nonsense as a distraction from reality.

Though Dumbledor has a better outfit.

Keith_M
03-12-2023, 05:01 PM
Steady on.

Turning bread and wine into flesh and blood is one thing. Getting Celtic a win in Europe is a whole other story.

:faf:

heretoday
04-12-2023, 10:32 AM
In fact ,STF helped organise the Papal visit to Scotland of Pope John Paul 2 in 1982.

St John Paul was supposedly a very good goalkeeeper as a student in his native Poland.

Made many saves in his time.

Crunchie
04-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Except they're not a catholic club and never have been. There's only ever been one exclusively catholic club and that particular stipulation ceased to exist in the 1890's.

Pagan Hibernia
04-12-2023, 12:18 PM
Except they're not a catholic club and never have been. There's only ever been one exclusively catholic club and that particular stipulation ceased to exist in the 1890's.

It may not be written into their constitution, but they are a club with Catholic traditions. Surely no-one can argue that point

LancashireHibby
05-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Manchester United have been to the Vatican.
I know a song about that

StockbridgeGoat
05-12-2023, 03:43 PM
Found the whole thing very crass, to be honest. PR nonsense.

Mick O'Rourke
06-12-2023, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=LancashireHibby;7521414]

I know a song about that

In the sixties i recall a song being sang about a visit to Rome
Belted out in the Cave when the Zombie hordes came to town
So we beat Brenda and the lesser greens to it
To our Club song tune it went.

:singing:The famous Edinburgh Hibees took a holiday to Rome!
The famous Edinburgh Hibees took a holiday to Rome :singing:
:singing:To see Pope Paul the sixth,,and what did he say?

(he sang ):singing:
There is a bonnie fitba team at Easter Road they play !!:singing:

Great days in the Cave
Some still remembered chants /songs to this day .
THe Pope song would have been influenced by the 3 Roma games,i imagine.
I guess we might get a friendly in South Morocco sometime
Shame it didn.t happen when we had Benji and Zemmama

In 1961
We played Roma in the Semi Final of the old Fairs Cup after our victory ,previous round at the Battle of Easter Road v Barcelona.

19 April 1961
Hibernian 2 AS Roma 2 (Fairs Cup, SF L1)
Johnny MacLeod’s goal eight minutes from time restores parity after a dramatic and ill-tempered encounter at Easter Road.

26 April 1961
AS Roma 3 Hibernian 3 (Fairs Cup, SF L2)
A Joe Baker double puts us ahead 5-3 on aggregate before the hosts rally at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome. With the away goals rule not yet in place, a third match is needed to separate the teams.

27 May 1961
AS Roma 6 Hibernian 0 (Fairs Cup, SF PO)
Semi Final Play Off Game
Double disappointment as Baker plays his final game for us having signed for Torino earlier in the day for £65,000 and Roma hit us for six !

The above match details was copied (not the song !!) from Clubs Official website article.....
100 games in Europe

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/100-european-games#:~:text=Our%20away%20trip%20to%20Rijeka,of%2 0European%20football%20to%20date.

ancient hibee
06-12-2023, 06:22 PM
From memory I don’t think we played a match between the second semi and the play off. It was well into our close season. Rumour at the time was that Harry Swan had agreed the details with Roma after they’d made a payment to Hibs.

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2023, 08:16 AM
From memory I don’t think we played a match between the second semi and the play off. It was well into our close season. Rumour at the time was that Harry Swan had agreed the details with Roma after they’d made a payment to Hibs.

Indeed AH
There was a 4 week gap from our last domestic(league) game to the play off in Rome.

Hot in late May it was,full in the panting heart of Rome :greengrin

Similar scenario a few seasons later with a play off versus Valencia in 1965.
We had played Valencia in the tournament in 1963 .Beat 6-2 aggregate
So in 1965 we earned a play off as it was 2-2 after both ties.
It was a toss of the coin to decide venue.
Those Hibs players who had been to Valencia the previous time were not unhappy Valencia won the toss.
They wanted to re live a night out they had on the previous trip. And they certainly did !!
The football seemed secondary ,as the final score shows (3 nil).

Players today would not get away with what those early 60s players got up to socially.(not alll of them.mind:greengrin)
The would be shopped by mobile phone camera footage ...or a clipe would phone the club.

The sixties and early 70s are of course remembered by us older fans for those European nights.
Of course AH ,you could recall the mid 1950s ventures in Europe.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/100-european-games#:~:text=Our%20away%20trip%20to%20Rijeka,of%2 0European%20football%20to%20date

Those were the days !

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2023, 09:30 AM
It may not be written into their constitution, but they are a club with Catholic traditions. Surely no-one can argue that point

They are not alone in that, then.
Ourselves and Dundee(Hibernian) Utd to mention twol!
All initially founded to serve and support the Irish poor in the slums of the 3 cities.

ancient hibee
07-12-2023, 09:36 PM
Indeed AH
There was a 4 week gap from our last domestic(league) game to the play off in Rome.

Hot in late May it was,full in the panting heart of Rome :greengrin

Similar scenario a few seasons later with a play off versus Valencia in 1965.
We had played Valencia in the tournament in 1963 .Beat 6-2 aggregate
So in 1965 we earned a play off as it was 2-2 after both ties.
It was a toss of the coin to decide venue.
Those Hibs players who had been to Valencia the previous time were not unhappy Valencia won the toss.
They wanted to re live a night out they had on the previous trip. And they certainly did !!
The football seemed secondary ,as the final score shows (3 nil).

Players today would not get away with what those early 60s players got up to socially.(not alll of them.mind:greengrin)
The would be shopped by mobile phone camera footage ...or a clipe would phone the club.

The sixties and early 70s are of course remembered by us older fans for those European nights.
Of course AH ,you could recall the mid 1950s ventures in Europe.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/100-european-games#:~:text=Our%20away%20trip%20to%20Rijeka,of%2 0European%20football%20to%20date

Those were the days !

I remember them but my mum wouldn’t let me go to any of the home European Cup games because of the big crowds:greengrin. My favourite pub quiz question for a few years was”which was the first Glasgow ground to host a European Cup match?”

The Modfather
07-12-2023, 10:04 PM
They are not alone in that, then.
Ourselves and Dundee(Hibernian) Utd to mention twol!
All initially founded to serve and support the Irish poor in the slums of the 3 cities.

The stories of our foundings is where the similarities with us and Dundee Utd and with Celtc end. It’s 2023 and only one of those clubs vastly overplay their roots and cultivate a perception as a Catholic club. All for the purpose of monetising and maintaining sporting success.

OstKurve Hibs
08-12-2023, 03:51 AM
The stories of our foundings is where the similarities with us and Dundee Utd and with Celtc end. It’s 2023 and only one of those clubs vastly overplay their roots and cultivate a perception as a Catholic club. All for the purpose of monetising and maintaining sporting success.

How do you overplay your roots ? Believe it or not a lot of hibs supporters are proud of our clubs roots amd traditions, do we overplay our roots aswell ?

Why should we underplay our roots like many seem to do ?

Ship of Hope
08-12-2023, 06:05 AM
How do you overplay your roots ? Believe it or not a lot of hibs supporters are proud of our clubs roots amd traditions, do we overplay our roots aswell ?

The history of the club is simply that it's in the past. Thankfully what religion you are has no relevance in supporting hibs in todays world. The fact we have not become a third bigot brother is something to be truly proud of, whilst the tradition of helping those members of the community in need continues to this day. Being a jedi, the Catholic part does not mean much to me and is not a tradition I have any interest in upholding. Our community now is much more diverse and the club has evolved.

The Modfather
08-12-2023, 06:46 AM

No, we get celebrating our roots spot on IMO. We play in green, have a harp on our badge, are called Hibernian and have a focus on being a community club. We are also primarily a football club from Edinburgh welcome to all in 2023.

EastStandGates
08-12-2023, 07:35 AM
Some posts on this thread calling other people bigots while seemingly taking offence at Celtic visiting the Vatican is some take.

I wonder if valencia.net, mancity.net, sampdoria.net, welshrugby.net, hadjuksplit.net, dortmund.net all had threads and took offence when Villareal, Man Utd, Juve, Rome and Parma, France Rugby, Dinamo Zagreb and Bayern Munich all visited the Vatican. Scotland, year 2023...

Mick O'Rourke
08-12-2023, 08:13 AM
I remember them but my mum wouldn’t let me go to any of the home European Cup games because of the big crowds.:greengrin My favourite pub quiz question for a few years was”which was the first Glasgow ground to host a European Cup match?”

Firhill for thrills !!:greengrin

Djurgardens 1, Hibs 3. European Cup November 23, 1955
Firhill Stadium.Glasgow.

Wather conditions in Sweden were atrocious that month.
So Djurgardens chose Plastic Whistles ground for their "home" game:greengrin

Good read on link
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/hibee-history-firhill-for-thrills-as-hibs-mash-swedes-in-the-european-cup-2899547

Mick O'Rourke
08-12-2023, 08:33 AM
The history of the club is simply that it's in the past. Thankfully what religion you are has no relevance in supporting hibs in todays world. The fact we have not become a third bigot brother is something to be truly proud of, whilst the tradition of helping those members of the community in need continues to this day. Being a jedi, the Catholic part does not mean much to me and is not a tradition I have any interest in upholding. Our community now is much more diverse and the club has evolved.

The only bigotry i have witnessed at football was from those that follow sevco.
In life in general i have been subject of sectarian abuse when growing up .
One particular family near us in Clerry i recall "disliked Catholics" .Reasons unknown !
The faither worked for Edinburghs Finest and his off spring who would abuse us verbally(usually from a distance) went to a fee paying school.
There you go,
Scotland in the 60s !!

PS

Ma wee brother Billy diplomatically had a word with two of them in a pub years later:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
08-12-2023, 01:10 PM

:faf::faf:

Imagine that. The lunatics would be protesting outside Ibrox again; buses from Northern Ireland cancelled.

As for Celtic, it all seems rather crass. They even gave the pope a shirt with his name on. Classy :greengrin

gbhibby
08-12-2023, 02:36 PM
The Pope would have to look out his Orange Vestments to make them feel at home

Fanforlife
08-12-2023, 09:48 PM

Quentin Jardine has a book (Stay of execution?) In which the pope is Scottish , coming to Scotland for a Papal Visit and he is a Hibs Supporter,cracking book by the way. Meant to let you know Mick that i passed your good wishes on to Donny Armstrong before the Killie game,he has had a hard time health wise but on mend now. Said to pass his on to you.

Mick O'Rourke
11-12-2023, 09:35 AM
Quentin Jardine has a book (Stay of execution?) In which the pope is Scottish , coming to Scotland for a Papal Visit and he is a Hibs Supporter,cracking book by the way. Meant to let you know Mick that i passed your good wishes on to Donny Armstrong before the Killie game,he has had a hard time health wise but on mend now. Said to pass his on to you.

That would be Pope David the First then !!
Coronated in Leith Walk on a sunny Sunday in May 2016 with the blessing of millions world wide:greengrin
Stokes became a Cardinal at the same ceremony for his devotion to the practice of hunskelping :rockin:
Although he became a rather shy Cardinal with a tendency to evade authority:confused::wink:

Good to hear Donny's health is as good as can be and the bonus of being able/fit enough to get out to see his pals and the Hibees. !
Donny was real good to me an mine back in the day.
Some things you never forget !:thumbsup:

GGTTH

baker1959
13-12-2023, 09:48 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson was playing for Rangers when he married his Catholic girlfriend in 1966.

By 1967 he was playing for Falkirk where he stayed for 4 years.

Your dates are bit out. He played for Rangers 1967-69. Falkirk 1969-73.