PDA

View Full Version : Trial of Sin-bins

neil7908
28-11-2023, 03:16 PM
'Orange cards' apparently being brought in for cynical fouls that will lead to 10 mins off the pitch for offenders.

Full article here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/28/ifab-premier-league-sin-bins-tactical-foul-orange-card/

I agree in principle but as we've seen with VAR, unfortunately these things seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Chorley Hibee
28-11-2023, 03:23 PM
If implemented in Scotland, it will be for the benefit of one team only.

A licence for red card tackles to be explained away as 'orange' and even more corrupt refereeing to go unchecked.

Not long now until I've chucked it.

Mick O'Rourke
28-11-2023, 03:25 PM
'Orange cards' apparently being brought in for cynical fouls that will lead to 10 mins off the pitch for offenders.

Full article here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/28/ifab-premier-league-sin-bins-tactical-foul-orange-card/

I agree in principle but as we've seen with VAR, unfortunately these things seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Referees in Scotland have been known to play the "orange card " for many years.
It will be another tool in their box to bash teams with when playing against the zombiehuns

Must be frustrating for some of our football bosses to see Celtic looking like champions again despite all the penalties and efforts to give the zombies a leg up.

Greenbeard
28-11-2023, 03:52 PM
C'mon, it won't be perfect and you can't avoid a degree of subjectivity, as exists already with yellows and reds, even with VAR, but this is 100% a good thing, along with only the captain being allowed to approach the ref. Been a long time coming.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2023, 03:56 PM
C'mon, it won't be perfect and you can't avoid a degree of subjectivity, as exists already with yellows and reds, even with VAR, but this is 100% a good thing, along with only the captain being allowed to approach the ref. Been a long time coming.

Why would this be good?

Paul1642
28-11-2023, 03:56 PM
I’ve always thought this would be a good idea. Works well in rugby. At the moment there is the area where a red card would be harsh but a yellow is of little benefit to the opposing team unless it’s early enough in the game to make the receiving player change his style a bit or should they get a second yellow which doesn’t really happen that often.

Certainly worth a trial. I would be more keen to see Wengers offside concept trialed though.

gbhibby
28-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Should be used for all yellow card offences end of.

CockneyRebel
28-11-2023, 04:08 PM

Good point.

HoboHarry
28-11-2023, 04:10 PM
Not sure about that, but certainly for cynical fouls (that don't warrant a red), dissent and play acting.

HendoDelivered
28-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Footballs getting worse and worse, jeez.

worcesterhibby
28-11-2023, 04:16 PM
another idea that will ruin the game. We all know what happens when a team goes down to 10 men.. the other team park the bus and it's boring football for the rest of the game. How many times has a sending off actually killed a game as a spectacle..countless.. So the big wigs in their wisdom decide to ensure that almost every game will have another way of killing the flow of the game. Endless stops for VAR checks at the moment, then 10 minutes of park the bus football while someone is in the sin bin.

Football was the most popular sport on the planet for a reason..those in control seem hell bent on ruining the product. I HATE MODERN FOOTBALL !

Baldy Foghorn
28-11-2023, 04:19 PM
Another change not really needed. Becoming tiresome with VAR and this potential rule change

Dalianwanda
28-11-2023, 04:26 PM
Why would this be good?

It’s kinda obvious no? Stamps out crowding the ref, one voice rather than multiple voices, knowing this leads to better communication, probably the best at keeping the head and getting their point across will be captain (ie good leader). It’s worked well with rugby no reason it should with football.

Just for clarity this is about captain approaching ref.

HoboHarry
28-11-2023, 04:35 PM
It’s kinda obvious no? Stamps out crowding the ref, one voice rather than multiple voices, knowing this leads to better communication, probably the best at keeping the head and getting their point across will be captain (ie good leader). It’s worked well with rugby no reason it should with football.

It's great in theory but it will depend on implementation like everything else. In the EPL players were warned at the start of the season that crowding the ref would be punished but that didn't last long before it became the norm again.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 04:39 PM
Idiots who know nothing about the game and don’t pay to watch it are determined to ruin it. Would just be another thing to debate after every decision. Leave it alone FFS.

Carheenlea
28-11-2023, 04:43 PM
If implemented in Scotland, it will be for the benefit of one team only.

A licence for red card tackles to be explained away as 'orange' and even more corrupt refereeing to go unchecked.

Not long now until I've chucked it.

A well meaning idea, but unfortunately another initiative that Scotland 100% couldn’t be trusted with.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2023, 04:54 PM
Unfortunate choice of card colour. 🙂

Greenbeard
28-11-2023, 04:55 PM
another idea that will ruin the game. We all know what happens when a team goes down to 10 men.. the other team park the bus and it's boring football for the rest of the game. How many times has a sending off actually killed a game as a spectacle..countless.. So the big wigs in their wisdom decide to ensure that almost every game will have another way of killing the flow of the game. Endless stops for VAR checks at the moment, then 10 minutes of park the bus football while someone is in the sin bin.

Football was the most popular sport on the planet for a reason..those in control seem hell bent on ruining the product. I HATE MODERN FOOTBALL !
So Hibs are 0-1 down at Ipox with 5 mins plus injury time to go, break fast on a counter attack, Jair spins Goldson like he did the Dundee boy on Saturday and is racing towards goal with support either side, then he's grabbed from behind and hauled back by Goldson who stops the threat with a cynical "professional" foul. You're happy he only gets a yellow aye?
If there is any reason to hate modern football it's the increase in "professional" fouls like this, especially when "taking one for the team" is praised by commentators, pundits, coaches and supporters.

Paul1642
28-11-2023, 05:00 PM
This idea is being considered by FIFA considers all of worlds football. It’s not their fault that’s that Scottish refs favour one or two clubs. At the moment there is only a Red which has huge consequences, potentially almost 90 mins done to ten men or a yellow which is effectively a consequence free warning if you can avoid a second (disregarding the suspension for too many which does not benefit the clubs yellows were received against).

IMO this adds a nice middle ground where there is a meaningful consequence for a bad tackle that doesn’t quite warrant a sending off, and also could remove some softer red cards from the game for tackles that were only slightly too bad to justify a yellow card.

Since90+2
28-11-2023, 05:00 PM
The difficulty with implementing this is the line between what would be deemed a yellow and an orange would be very hard to define.

gbhibby
28-11-2023, 05:11 PM
Not sure about that, but certainly for cynical fouls (that don't warrant a red), dissent and play acting.The problem with this is will be VAR as it will intervene and ask the ref to look at an incident
If it merits a yellow that should be the only criteria. They should operate it the same as Rugby that some yellow cards (sin bin offence s) can be uprated to red cards.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

1875Sean
28-11-2023, 05:14 PM
Got to hope they don’t bring this in, VAR has been terrible and this would follow the same path, nothing wrong with football as it is without brining in sin bins

Real Emerald
28-11-2023, 05:15 PM
Orange card and 10 minutes in the Tim Bin. 😂

Dalianwanda
28-11-2023, 05:20 PM
It's great in theory but it will depend on implementation like everything else. In the EPL players were warned at the start of the season that crowding the ref would be punished but that didn't last long before it became the norm again.

Totally agree, needs to be a law with implications if not adhered to. As a law if put in place there’s no real grey area which would be a good start.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2023, 05:22 PM
Sponsored by the Louden Tavern, and every time one is brandished a full chorus of the Billy Boys belts out? With a 5 second delay so Sky can turn the sound down?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
28-11-2023, 05:24 PM
Orange card and 10 minutes in the Tim Bin. 😂
:greengrin :top marks

worcesterhibby
28-11-2023, 05:33 PM
So Hibs are 0-1 down at Ipox with 5 mins plus injury time to go, break fast on a counter attack, Jair spins Goldson like he did the Dundee boy on Saturday and is racing towards goal with support either side, then he's grabbed from behind and hauled back by Goldson who stops the threat with a cynical "professional" foul. You're happy he only gets a yellow aye?
If there is any reason to hate modern football it's the increase in "professional" fouls like this, especially when "taking one for the team" is praised by commentators, pundits, coaches and supporters.

You and I both know that in that situation play would be waved on and then once the ball goes out of play Jair would be yellow carded for diving.

Wakeyhibee
28-11-2023, 05:42 PM
I can only think of 1 rule change in my lifetime which has made a positive impact on the game and that was the pass back.

Non of the offside rule tinkering has made any difference, in fact its caused moee confusion. VaR has been an unmitigated disaster compared to how it was originally envisaged.

Football has become less and less enjoyable. I honestly don't see what current issues this is trying to address?

If they addressed cheating by calling it cheating instead of simulation and gave an automatic sending off or retro ban on review I'd be all for it.

wookie70
28-11-2023, 05:45 PM
I'd rather cynical fouls are reds. Rocky's challenge on Saturday should be a red for me. He basically halved the Dundee player and that should be more than a sin bin. It would be painful at first but I would argue jersey pulls and trips when a player has ran past you should be a red. Like rugby every rule change should be about getting more game play and more excitement and any rule that disadvantages teh anti football teams would be a good thing.

Ronniekirk
28-11-2023, 05:49 PM
You wanting to watch five a side football lol

JohnM1875
28-11-2023, 05:52 PM
I'd rather cynical fouls are reds. Rocky's challenge on Saturday should be a red for me. He basically halved the Dundee player and that should be more than a sin bin. It would be painful at first but I would argue jersey pulls and trips when a player has ran past you should be a red. Like rugby every rule change should be about getting more game play and more excitement and any rule that disadvantages teh anti football teams would be a good thing.

Said the same thing about ‘professional fouls’ for ages. Straight red. It’s cheating plain and simple.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 05:56 PM

Rocky tripped the boy up who was running at 100 mph. He’s been beaten to the ball by about a thousandth of a second. There was loads of cover as well, it’s not as if the boy was through on goal. Stuff like that is a foul and a booking and that should be it. Send folk off for stuff like that and we’d be regularly seeing multiple sendings off per game and games being further ruined.

brianmc
28-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Rocky tripped the boy up who was running at 100 mph. He’s been beaten to the ball by about a thousandth of a second. There was loads of cover as well, it’s not as if the boy was through on goal. Stuff like that is a foul and a booking and that should be it. Send folk off for stuff like that and we’d be regularly seeing multiple sendings off per game and games being further ruined.

Hahahaha that's not even close to what happened.
Rocky deliberately chopped the guy down and "took one for the team" as they say....

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Hahahaha that's not even close to what happened.
Rocky deliberately chopped the guy down and "took one for the team" as they say....

The boy is running that quick that Rocky just goes in to make a challenge, gets beaten to the ball and ends up wiping him out. Either way, whether you think it was deliberate or not, red cards for stuff like that or even a sin bin, just nut. Players would never want to make a challenge if there was the threat of a sin bin every time someone ran past them.

Donegal Hibby
28-11-2023, 06:15 PM
I could see the Orange card being very beneficial to sevco over the course of a season.
^
Sorry meant " Scottish football " :greengrin

wookie70
28-11-2023, 06:17 PM

Not what my eyes saw. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew the rules meant he was unlikely to be sent off.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 06:20 PM
Not what my eyes saw. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew the rules meant he was unlikely to be sent off.

And hopefully the rules continue to mean that. You shouldn’t be getting sent of for tripping someone up when there is cover in that type of position.

And it’s the big problem with introducing something like this, there is still too much which is subjective. It would just add another layer of debate and lead to more stoppages, more reviews etc.

The object should be to keep players on the pitch and keep the game moving but we’re heading in exactly the opposite direction.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2023, 07:03 PM

Much rather see refs actually do their jobs properly than bother with rules like this.

They generally earn the dissent they get by being hopeless.

wookie70
28-11-2023, 07:12 PM
And hopefully the rules continue to mean that. You shouldn’t be getting sent of for tripping someone up when there is cover in that type of position.

And it’s the big problem with introducing something like this, there is still too much which is subjective. It would just add another layer of debate and lead to more stoppages, more reviews etc.

The object should be to keep players on the pitch and keep the game moving but we’re heading in exactly the opposite direction.

That seems contradictory to me. Keep the game moving needs rules to stop players deliberately slowing it down for foul play. I do agree with teh subjective part but at least there are plenty of fouls that are not subjective and that are clearly not mistimed tackles. Could the defender have mistimes the tackle is the grey area and I would give them the benefit of the doubt in that case. I would not allow VAR any more than 1 minute if they want to overturn a refs decision and the only way to stop the behaviour is to punish it. An orange card will suffer the same amount of issues as the red in terms of stoppages so I would make sure that behaviour means you are off.

Mick O'Rourke
28-11-2023, 07:16 PM
Sponsored by the Louden Tavern, and every time one is brandished a full chorus of the Billy Boys belts out? With a 5 second delay so Sky can turn the sound down?

Billy Connolly and his pals robbed a bank while these pantomime dames played at toy sojers on the street outside.

:singing:The bank it did surrender !!
Surrender now yer skint !!:singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAQQZyWdBg

Bostonhibby
28-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Billy Connolly and his pals robbed a bank while these pantomime dames played at toy sodjers outside.

The bank it did surrender !!
Surrender now yer skint !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAQQZyWdBg[emoji23]

Not really sodjers Mick, Blowhard inadequates in the only sort of uniform they'll ever get near. Some might even fit.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 07:21 PM
That seems contradictory to me. Keep the game moving needs rules to stop players deliberately slowing it down for foul play. I do agree with teh subjective part but at least there are plenty of fouls that are not subjective and that are clearly not mistimed tackles. Could the defender have mistimes the tackle is the grey area and I would give them the benefit of the doubt in that case. I would not allow VAR any more than 1 minute if they want to overturn a refs decision and the only way to stop the behaviour is to punish it. An orange card will suffer the same amount of issues as the red in terms of stoppages so I would make sure that behaviour means you are off.

When I talk about keeping the game moving I’m talking, predominantly, about VAR interventions. If they introduce a sin bin it’s just something else to review and slow things down.

Fouls are just part and parcel of the game. You’re wanting a red every time someone brings someone down or pulls someone back if they run past them, if deemed to be cynical or whatever. I find that mad. That, to me, is basically removing tackling from the game because folk would be terrified to put a challenge in. What one ref would deem deliberate, another wouldn’t.

Games are ruined when the numbers are reduced, we don’t need to be coming up with more reasons to send folk off than currently exist IMO. Especially not for tripping someone up in a non goal scoring area or something along those lines.

Mick O'Rourke
28-11-2023, 07:29 PM
[emoji23]

Not really sodjers Mick, Blowhard inadequates in the only sort of uniform they'll ever get near. Some might even fit.

No, just ludicrously sad and grown elderly bigoted men with limited social life dressed up in theatrical costumes of the type that Charlie Chaplin would have had in his wardrobe.
Delightful scene from that film,though.
Billy must have loved doing it.
Just came natural to a comic genius.

Bostonhibby
28-11-2023, 07:33 PM
No, just ludicrously sad and grown elderly bigoted men with limited social life dressed up in theatrical costumes of the type that Charlie Chaplin would have had in his wardrobe.
Delightful scene from that film,though.
Billy must have loved doing it.
Just came natural to a comic genius.[emoji106] We are as one here mate.

Musselbound
28-11-2023, 07:53 PM
Basically agree with the OP that the idea of orange cards is likely to cause more problems. The last thing we need is another level of complexity to the game with debates as to whether a foul is a yellow/orange or orange/red.

Haven't read the details on this but I think the difference in rugby - certainly during the World Cup - was that yellow cards result in the sin bin and could be upgraded to red by the VAR (or TMO) if considered serious enough. In principle that isn't a bad idea as it can save time by getting on with the game meantime. But sadly we've seen all too often already that we can't rely on our VAR's to come up with impartial decisions.

wookie70
28-11-2023, 08:18 PM
When I talk about keeping the game moving I’m talking, predominantly, about VAR interventions. If they introduce a sin bin it’s just something else to review and slow things down.

Fouls are just part and parcel of the game. You’re wanting a red every time someone brings someone down or pulls someone back if they run past them, if deemed to be cynical or whatever. I find that mad. That, to me, is basically removing tackling from the game because folk would be terrified to put a challenge in. What one ref would deem deliberate, another wouldn’t.

Games are ruined when the numbers are reduced, we don’t need to be coming up with more reasons to send folk off than currently exist IMO. Especially not for tripping someone up in a non goal scoring area or something along those lines.

If someone deliberately stops an attack with no intention of playing the ball then that is as anti football as it comes. Teams do this repeatedly and share fouls round and it ruins games and stops the type of football we are trying to play. I actually think the opposite in terms of red cards for follow through when playing the ball. Tackling is a big part of the game and leeway should be given when someone slightly mistimes a tackle or teh follow through ends up catching a player. I want more tackling and less cheating and where the ball is on the pitch really doesn't bother me in terms of a professional foul. They are made for a reason and it is never for the benefit of an entertaining game.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 08:33 PM
If someone deliberately stops an attack with no intention of playing the ball then that is as anti football as it comes. Teams do this repeatedly and share fouls round and it ruins games and stops the type of football we are trying to play. I actually think the opposite in terms of red cards for follow through when playing the ball. Tackling is a big part of the game and leeway should be given when someone slightly mistimes a tackle or teh follow through ends up catching a player. I want more tackling and less cheating and where the ball is on the pitch really doesn't bother me in terms of a professional foul. They are made for a reason and it is never for the benefit of an entertaining game.

Sending folk off for fouls 80 yards from goal, just because they’re cynical, isn’t the answer for me. Apart from anything the whole subjectivity thing would make it impossible to implement. It would be chaos every week with arguments about players going for the ball and just mistiming things or whatever. Look at the difficulty they have trying to come to decisions about apparent factual things like offside. If we go down the route of sin bins, red cards or whatever for things that have always been a foul and booking, we’re on our way to it being like American football the length of time games will go on.

wookie70
28-11-2023, 08:39 PM
Sending folk off for fouls 80 yards from goal, just because they’re cynical, isn’t the answer for me. Apart from anything the whole subjectivity thing would make it impossible to implement. It would be chaos every week with arguments about players going for the ball and just mistiming things or whatever. Look at the difficulty they have trying to come to decisions about apparent factual things like offside. If we go down the route of sin bins, red cards or whatever for things that have always been a foul and booking, we’re on our way to it being like American football the length of time games will go on.

Or players will think twice about cynical fouls, football with flow more and the game will be faster and more exciting. I am only talking about obviously cynical fouls and I'm pretty sure most fans know one when they see one and most of us get frustrated by teams stopping flowing football. You could limit it to when the foul is in half of the defending team or similar but my main point is the players who are deliberately making the game worse receive little punishment for it, I'd like that to change

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Or players will think twice about cynical fouls, football with flow more and the game will be faster and more exciting. I am only talking about obviously cynical fouls and I'm pretty sure most fans know one when they see one and most of us get frustrated by teams stopping flowing football. You could limit it to when the foul is in half of the defending team or similar but my main point is the players who are deliberately making the game worse receive little punishment for it, I'd like that to change

I think the problem is that players would think twice of about going in for challenges full stop. I actually get the point you’re making or more why you’re making it. I just think it would cause chaos. What’s obvious to one person isn’t to another. There are things that are part of the game and that you need to overcome and, IMO, the changes they are making to the game and the additional hassle they bring are just making it less enjoyable.

wookie70
28-11-2023, 09:21 PM
I think the problem is that players would think twice of about going in for challenges full stop. I actually get the point you’re making or more why you’re making it. I just think it would cause chaos. What’s obvious to one person isn’t to another. There are things that are part of the game and that you need to overcome and, IMO, the changes they are making to the game and the additional hassle they bring are just making it less enjoyable.

Football just wants to be crap. Take the six second rule for Keepers. That was an excellent rule and now completely ignored. Standing in front of a free kick so it can't be taken quickly, so easy to sort that with instant yellows but hardly ever policed. It can be done just ask Rugby players who don't roll away from rucks quickly enough. The responsibility is on the player in the wrong place to get out the way and the rule designed to speed the game up.

I suffer from being a bit of an idealist so I completely understand what you are saying in terms of the interruptions it could cause and the grey areas but I would hope that they would be temporary and players would eventually understand that foul play to deliberately slow the game down will be punished. severely. I'm similar with players who dive when there isn't even a hint of contact. To me that is a red card

Eyrie
28-11-2023, 09:37 PM
A cynical foul should be red full stop.

But I like the idea of a sin bin for dissent. Players will have to adapt to the new rules in the same way they did when the pass back was banned.

I'd also like to see players booked for exaggerating contact whilst the original foul stands. On Saturday Beck would have been booked both times that Miller was.

Baader
28-11-2023, 09:38 PM
Leave the game alone I think.

I'm opposed to this overall but especially in Scotland as anything that gives more power and input to officials in our country makes the game worse.

TrinityHFC
28-11-2023, 09:41 PM

I'm opposed to this overall but especially in Scotland as anything that gives more power and input to officials in our country makes the game worse.

Spot on.

Forza Fred
28-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Don’t want us to go down the path of the sin bin.

Think it would encourage players to commit more fouls as 10 minutes in a sin bin is say, much better than letting someone score a goal.

The thought of being sent off for the remainder of the game is a decent deterrent….not so much a 10 minute spell.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 09:50 PM

Agree with this. It won’t happen, but I really wish we could get rid of VAR and just go back to the on field decision being the decision. The less of them looking at things, and the less opportunity to look at things, the better IMO.

Greenbeard
29-11-2023, 08:15 AM
Don’t want us to go down the path of the sin bin.

Think it would encourage players to commit more fouls as 10 minutes in a sin bin is say, much better than letting someone score a goal.

The thought of being sent off for the remainder of the game is a decent deterrent….not so much a 10 minute spell.
How come? 10 mins in the sin bin is much more of a deterrent than a yellow, which is given for the vast majority of "professional" fouls currently and has minimal consequence for the perpetrator and his team. You've only got to tot up how often these fouls take place in each game and consider the praise players get for taking one for the team to reach the clear conclusion that a yellow is insufficient punishment. Turn it on its head so instead of being praised for taking one for the team, a "professional" foul results in the perpetrator being criticised for putting his team at a disadvantage. You'd still have the existing threshold for a red eg if it denied a clear goal scoring opportunity.

SickBoy32
29-11-2023, 08:24 AM
Think this would cause more issues than it would solve. Team gets a player in sin bin, cue 2/3 players feigning injury at intervals to eat up the 10mins they’re down a man. I don’t think this would add to the spectator experience at all, and after the disaster of introducing VAR, this is the last thing we need.

Sin bin is probably more workable in rugby for example as the clock is only live when the ball is in play.

For truly cynical fouls where there is clearly no intention to play the ball, these should be straight reds.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-11-2023, 08:24 AM

Very much so.

J-C
29-11-2023, 08:32 AM
Works perfectly well in rugby, losing a player for 10-15 mins can have a major impact. How many times have we seen guys red carded and it wasn’t merited, reds should only be given for serious foul play.

cabbageandribs1875
29-11-2023, 08:46 AM
The trial will also include a rule allowing only the team captain to approach the referee during a game.

a bugbear of mines for many years, get it done, players that have absolutely nothing to do with 'incidents' yet they think by piling in and surrounding the referee he will say 'aye ok i'll do what you advise Mr player' :agree:

huge more respect shown towards the referee in Rugby, they know if they argue then they are punished another 10 yards, sorted

neil7908
29-11-2023, 08:48 AM
Think this would cause more issues than it would solve. Team gets a player in sin bin, cue 2/3 players feigning injury at intervals to eat up the 10mins they’re down a man. I don’t think this would add to the spectator experience at all, and after the disaster of introducing VAR, this is the last thing we need.

Sin bin is probably more workable in rugby for example as the clock is only live when the ball is in play.

For truly cynical fouls where there is clearly no intention to play the ball, these should be straight reds.

That's actually a really good point - guaranteed there would be players down injured and that could easily eat up most of the time this orange card is live.

I'm also not clear what happens once the player comes back - are they able to get orange carded again? Does the orange card also mean they are yellow carded and will be sent off for another orange/yellow card offence?

It's a weird one for me in that on paper, I'm supportive of this. But I look at how inconsistently the current rules are being applied and it just feels like another subjective issue that will create massive controversy.

I'd much rather they focused on tightening the current rules, improve the performance of refs and improving the use of VAR.

wookie70
29-11-2023, 08:59 AM

For truly cynical fouls where there is clearly no intention to play the ball, these should be straight reds. I'd change that too. Stop the clock for injuries and have countdowns for any set pieces

CentreLine
29-11-2023, 10:45 AM

First and foremost consistency needs sorted but for me the blocking thing needs urgently addressed too. Whatever happened to obstruction?
Our beautiful game is in danger of turning in to American football.

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2023, 11:00 AM
Works perfectly well in rugby, losing a player for 10-15 mins can have a major impact. How many times have we seen guys red carded and it wasn’t merited, reds should only be given for serious foul play.

I think the vast majority of red cards these days are merited. VAR has done a great job of spotting more red card fouls that happen fast.

snedzuk
29-11-2023, 12:12 PM

"10 minutes to go in this exciting Hibs v Rangers contest with Hibs still leading 1.0 - shock, horror, in quick succession, Hibs receive three yellow cards for dissent, being ugly and wearing the wrong type of sock support. Ah well, Hibs to play out the final 10 minutes plus stoppage time (10 minutes added for 'sin binning') with 8 men"

hibstag
30-11-2023, 07:54 AM
Not sure about that, but certainly for cynical fouls (that don't warrant a red), dissent and play acting.

Re name it the Todd Cantwell card?

hibstag
30-11-2023, 07:59 AM
"10 minutes to go in this exciting Hibs v Rangers contest with Hibs still leading 1.0 - shock, horror, in quick succession, Hibs receive three yellow cards for dissent, being ugly and wearing the wrong type of sock support. Ah well, Hibs to play out the final 10 minutes plus stoppage time (10 minutes added for 'sin binning') with 8 men"

As they ambulance crew carry off the hibs player Todd Cantwell trudges off for his ten minute sin bin

MKHIBEE
30-11-2023, 07:59 AM
Re name it the Todd Cantwell card?
Cal it the “Hunne red card”, they will probably never get another one if this comes into play. 50 years without a sending off or a penalty awarded against them is the future.

Onion
30-11-2023, 08:23 AM
They should be looking for ways to take AWAY powers from our bigoted, prejudiced and incompetent refs and VAR officials, not giving them more. Applied anywhere other than Scotland, probably a good idea. Giving even more subjective powers to our refs and VAR will just further frustrate everyone other than OF fans.

Foreign refs and overseas VAR until eventually AI takes over all decisions would transform the game here.