PDA

View Full Version : Marshall

LewysGot2
25-11-2023, 07:59 PM
He's had plenty stick, sometimes unwarranted and other times less so, but credit again for another great performance today. Some good and important saves from him.

Stubbsy90+2
25-11-2023, 08:07 PM
He's had plenty stick, sometimes unwarranted and other times less so, but credit again for another great performance today. Some good and important saves from him.

He’s been much better recently. A world of difference from the bag of nerves he was before.

Still think we need to replace him overall but he’s at least not the absolute disaster he has been previously.

wookie70
25-11-2023, 08:18 PM
There has been plenty chat about the meteoric rise of Tavares since Montgomery came in. Marshall has been similar imo. Monty was namedropping Marshall and saying what a good keeper he was almost straight away and there has not been much of a goalkeeping issue since them. He must have ran Jair close for MOTM and the save he made low down was an excellent stop. As delighted he has found form as I am that Jair has.

Northernhibee
25-11-2023, 08:23 PM
My MOTM today, made some good stops and commanded his box well.

Donegal Hibby
25-11-2023, 09:11 PM
His save today from the Jair mistake was excellent. Between him and Jair for the MotM . Jair just shaded it for me though.

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 10:48 PM
His save today from the Jair mistake was excellent. Between him and Jair for the MotM . Jair just shaded it for me though.

Just saw it again on the highlights, that was a terrific save and saw us going in at 1-0 👍 he had a really solid game today, Monty has upped his confidence levels that’s for sure.

Donegal Hibby
25-11-2023, 11:00 PM
Just saw it again on the highlights, that was a terrific save and saw us going in at 1-0 👍 he had a really solid game today, Monty has upped his confidence levels that’s for sure.

Much more like the Marshall we know and like today . Agree all credit to Monty for upping his confidence , not the only player our new manager has improved either since being appointed .

Vault Boy
26-11-2023, 12:55 AM
Yep Marsh was very good today. Assured, a couple of important stops and good distribution in the main. Long may it continue.

JimBHibees
26-11-2023, 09:09 AM

Brilliant and hugely important save.

AllyT
26-11-2023, 10:37 AM
He’s been much better recently. A world of difference from the bag of nerves he was before.

Still think we need to replace him overall but he’s at least not the absolute disaster he has been previously.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that he had problems with Lee Johnson, so maybe his confidence is back.

Donegal Hibby
27-11-2023, 12:48 PM
Brilliant and hugely important save.

Nice to see him getting praise from the staff .
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/even-better-than-expected-hibs-coach-hails-veteran-for-embracing-modern-thinking-4424015

allezsauzee
27-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Every keeper makes mistakes at times, IMO it's how they deal with it that separates the best keepers from the mediocre at any level. I think undue attention was drawn to Marshall because he made in few mistakes in a relatively short period of time and was punished for them by conceding goals. He's proven that he can deal with dips in form and come back stronger. He's the right sort of character to have in the dressing room too and I'm sure Monty will want to keep him for a couple of seasons yet.

matty_f
27-11-2023, 01:32 PM
He was excellent on Saturday. A big part in our win.

Fuzzywuzzy
27-11-2023, 05:24 PM
Did we bring in a new goal keeping coach? Haven't seen anything mentioned about it

Allant1981
27-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Did we bring in a new goal keeping coach? Haven't seen anything mentioned about it

Yip, came in with montgomery

w pilton hibby
27-11-2023, 06:42 PM

'If we want to be dominant, we MUST build from the back' - Hibs coach urges patience

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/if-we-want-to-be-dominant-we-must-build-from-the-back-hibs-coach-urges-patience-4424499

Tyler Durden
27-11-2023, 06:45 PM
Marshall still parries far too much back into dangerous areas for me.

I’d rather we can replace him ASAP but it’s probably gonna be next season. Shame that Wollacott doesn’t seem like a serious threat to Marshall.

Shrekko
27-11-2023, 08:03 PM
Genuinely delighted at how well he played as we are going to need a goalie who wins us points if we want to get to where we should be.

I’m not buying all the stuff about his previous poor form being down to other people though. I’ve been really surprised at how fragile he seems to be for such an experienced player.

If we can get the goalie we thought we had after the first few weeks though it’ll be a huge boost.

Winston Ingram
28-11-2023, 05:54 AM
Marshall’s form in the later part of Johnson’s reign baffles me.

When you get older as a keeper your agility goes. He’s demonstrated on countless occasions here that he can make still the saves like he made on Saturday which suggests to me his drop on form wasn’t down to age.

The mistakes he was making were basic and more down to concentration.

Since Montgomery has come in, he’s looked like the goalkeeper that I thought we were getting last year.

Centre Hawf
28-11-2023, 09:47 AM
He's been much improved the 4 or 5 games he's played but overall the guy is clearly showing signs of age and it's probably right that he either calls it a day or steps down a level if he wants to keep playing beyond this season. But unless someone takes Wollacott's wage off us I think we may have to all just admit that Marsh is our keeper for the rest of the season bar him somehow becoming a total liability.

Donegal Hibby
28-11-2023, 10:01 AM
I haven't seen enough of Wollacott though what I have seen I've thought he's looked shaky , if it were down to getting rid of Marshall and having Wollacott as number 1 I'd rather keep Marshall.

overdrive
28-11-2023, 02:26 PM
'If we want to be dominant, we MUST build from the back' - Hibs coach urges patience

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/if-we-want-to-be-dominant-we-must-build-from-the-back-hibs-coach-urges-patience-4424499

I get the logic but it will make a lot of fans really nervous, audibly nervous which might transfer to the players.

I'm sure teams will get wise to it anyway and strikers won't be going flying in. If they don't go flying in, it is harder for us to create the space that the tactic is trying to achieve.

Donegal Hibby
28-11-2023, 04:08 PM
I get the logic but it will make a lot of fans really nervous, audibly nervous which might transfer to the players.

I'm sure teams will get wise to it anyway and strikers won't be going flying in. If they don't go flying in, it is harder for us to create the space that the tactic is trying to achieve.

With the amount of players that were slipping in the Dundee game I was abit nervous about playing out from the back in that one .

It's something teams I think will get wise too . I thought sevco with better quality players got the better of it at Ibrox, wonder will Monty try and change our style abit for the trip to parkhead with us coming up against kyogo , maeda and co ? .

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 04:10 PM
With the amount of players that were slipping in the Dundee game I was abit nervous about playing out from the back in that one .

It's something teams I think will get wise too . I thought sevco with better quality players got the better of it at Ibrox, wonder will Monty try and change our style abit for the trip to parkhead with us coming up against kyogo , maeda and co ? .

He won’t change anything. Ironically, the first goal at Ibrox came from one for the few times we played it long as well.

B.H.F.C
28-11-2023, 04:16 PM

It may make folk nervous but we are hardly losing any games. It’s not the type of thing that you can just switch to and be good at. It’s going to need drilled in to them and be repeated and repeated and repeated every day. We’re definitely getting better at it and that’s before they’ve had a chance to bring in their own players. Fans have definitely voiced frustrations with it at times but, importantly, the players don’t look like they’re going to bottle it and stop doing it as a result.

Donegal Hibby
28-11-2023, 04:51 PM
He won’t change anything. Ironically, the first goal at Ibrox came from one for the few times we played it long as well.

It felt like even though we were trying to play out from the back that day they just didn't allow us to do so which I thought was down more to their quality . Your right about the first goal too .

Monty probably won't change anything for the trip to parkhead , will be interesting to see how we do playing out from the back with a frontline like they got .

JimBHibees
28-11-2023, 08:18 PM
Fans just need educated in the importance of being patient. The freaking out about Marshall holding onto a ball when one up v Killie was ridiculous

wookie70
29-11-2023, 10:58 AM
It may make folk nervous but we are hardly losing any games. It’s not the type of thing that you can just switch to and be good at. It’s going to need drilled in to them and be repeated and repeated and repeated every day. We’re definitely getting better at it and that’s before they’ve had a chance to bring in their own players. Fans have definitely voiced frustrations with it at times but, importantly, the players don’t look like they’re going to bottle it and stop doing it as a result.

I thought this style had no chance of working with the players we had but Monty is winning me over. I still don't really like watching it as for the vast majority of the game we are essentially passing the ball hoping to move the opposition about and make some space. Jair's goal on Saturday was a thing of beauty though and the more moves we can create that are similar the less the football will be boring. A big part of the success is Monty's unwavering commitment to his preferred style/system. You have to be pretty confident in your own ability to continue with a style that at one point wasn't getting that many points. As you say it takes time and in that time other teams will find a strategy to combat it. For me there is a balance to be struck and we need to continue to perfect the playing out from the back but also make sure that when teams press us it is fine to try and use our pace with a ball over the top. As you say there are clear signs of improvement and I would cite Rocky as being a player that now looks much better on the ball than he did. It has been a promising start from Monty and lots of signs that we have got the right man this time. Hopefully we get good enough that the style becomes entertaining for 90 minutes rather than the odd flash of brilliance that gets us off our seats