Garymcl
25-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Who takes millers place

B.H.F.C
25-11-2023, 06:49 PM
Whittaker.

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 06:50 PM
Young Whittaker - plays with no fear and has pace.

Unseen work
25-11-2023, 06:50 PM
Hopefully Whittikar.

Interesting he moved Fish to right back today and brought on Hanlon though

But I think he’ll show faith in the young man and start him.

wookie70
25-11-2023, 06:51 PM
Who takes millers place Whittaker for me. Fish didn't do well there today and I would play Campbell in front of him rather than Youan who again was a man short in defence when he came on. Whittaker might not be 100% ready to play 90 minutes but he certainly doesn't look phased by being included.

Tambo
25-11-2023, 06:54 PM
Whittaker for me, done on vs St Mirren and another chance to show what he can do.

scoopyboy
25-11-2023, 07:04 PM
I would have thought Whittaker but why was he nor brought on today?

I'm not so sure it will be but given NM won't budge from 442 I don't see what the alternatives are

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 07:15 PM
I would have thought Whittaker but why was he nor brought on today?

I'm not so sure it will be but given NM won't budge from 442 I don't see what the alternatives are

I wouldn’t budge from 4-4-2 either Scoopy, it’s working for me. Defensively it’s 4-4-2, when breaking the press it’s a dynamic 4-2-4 which drags opponents everywhere. It’s just about giving NM time on the training pitch, giving him a couple of windows, and perfecting it. Vente in particular is superb at defending from the top as an example. I think you should always play 2 up top anyway - goals win games and if we can polish up the playing from the back and perhaps get a physical midfielder in during January, I think the system we are playing is working well and will continue to.

Garymcl
25-11-2023, 07:21 PM
Personally think in a situation like this like the old days up steps the next natural right back if that’s a youngster so be it rather than shift the whole back line can wait for next Saturday let’s sell the three stands out ggtth🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

scoopyboy
25-11-2023, 07:22 PM
I wouldn’t budge from 4-4-2 either Scoopy, it’s working for me. Defensively it’s 4-4-2, when breaking the press it’s a dynamic 4-2-4 which drags opponents everywhere. It’s just about giving NM time on the training pitch, giving him a couple of windows, and perfecting it. Vente in particular is superb at defending from the top as an example. I think you should always play 2 up top anyway - goals win games and if we can polish up the playing from the back and perhaps get a physical midfielder in during January, I think the system we are playing is working well and will continue to.

I'm not grumping about 442, what I'm saying is that I don't think it is cut and dried it will be Whittaker.

You would have thought he would have been the one to come on today if it was straightforward

Pickle
25-11-2023, 07:24 PM
I’ve a feeling we might see Campbell there, big game for a 16yr old so can see some merit in it

Unseen work
25-11-2023, 07:24 PM
I'm not grumping about 442, what I'm saying is that I don't think it is cut and dried it will be Whittaker.

You would have thought he would have been the one to come on today if it was straightforward

I think down to 10 men, away from home against a big team in Dundee changed that.

Monty has got alot of stick about his subs and has saw some results slip away with at times putting on younger players.

Maybe a case of playing it a bit safer which tbf was wise imo

greenlex
25-11-2023, 07:25 PM

I think there’s an element of going for experience when we only had 10 men. It would have been a huge shift for the young un and maybe felt a poor 25 mins or so would set him back. Guess there might have been a bit of man management right there today. I think Whittaker will start on Sunday if we are without Miller.

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 07:26 PM

I think maybe it was ensuring we at least had a fit full back for next Sunday (or not taking any chances). Put RW on there’s always a chance of a wee injury, although of course that can happen in training also. Maybe just not risking things.

Northernhibee
25-11-2023, 07:34 PM
I think maybe it was ensuring we at least had a fit full back for next Sunday (or not taking any chances). Put RW on there’s always a chance of a wee injury, although of course that can happen in training also. Maybe just not risking things.

Also possible that with Rocky also on a yellow, he’d be able to move Fish back into the centre if we went down to nine men.

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Also possible that with Rocky also on a yellow, he’d be able to move Fish back into the centre if we went down to nine men.

Yep, very true, forgot Rocky was on a yellow - mind he nearly put Beck into the Tay 😂 genuinely thought the ref might issue a red for that challenge.

Donegal Hibby
25-11-2023, 07:45 PM
Think it will be Whittaker , know he's young but hasn't looked fazed any time he's played for us yet , other than that maybe Campbell or Rocky possibly ? .

CapitalGreen
25-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Could play Jeggo there, we’ve tried everyone else 😂

LewysGot2
25-11-2023, 07:56 PM
If its not a swap to a back 3 and Boyler RWB then has to be Whittaker

Fish at RB today didn't look comfortable but he did his best. He's not a RB though.

ancient hibee
25-11-2023, 09:32 PM

Sure he wasn’t brought on to avoid injury but also to try the other formation and see if it was a goer.

Nicho87
25-11-2023, 09:43 PM
I’d put Stevenson in there

Done it plenty times under fenlon

Unseen work
25-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Could play Jeggo there, we’ve tried everyone else 😂

I’d honestly trust Jeggo to slot in there and play well.

Think his reading of the game, defensive ability and composure on the ball would stand him in good stead.

B.H.F.C
25-11-2023, 09:55 PM

Think his reading of the game, defensive ability and composure on the ball would stand him in good stead.

Whittaker did fine at St Mirren. I don’t think Montgomery will do anything out of the ordinary. I know he did something a bit different today but I think that was to do with circumstances at the time and wanting some experience to get us through. I’d be surprised if Whittaker didn’t play.

JimBHibees
25-11-2023, 09:58 PM

He would struggle pace wise imo.

Brightside
25-11-2023, 10:12 PM
Might be the first time we don’t play a 4.

wookie70
25-11-2023, 10:18 PM
Might be the first time we don’t play a 4. Don't think so. Who would play wing backs. I think he will stick with 442 and play Whittaker. Perhaps he will stick Campbell back one and bring Youan in but that would make us very weak defensively down that side.

O'Rourke3
25-11-2023, 10:20 PM
Don't think so. Who would play wing backs. I think he will stick with 442 and play Whittaker. Perhaps he will stick Campbell back one and bring Youan in but that would make us very weak defensively down that side.Campbell has been a nightmare when played at RB. That's the one change we should never make.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

wookie70
25-11-2023, 10:25 PM
Campbell has been a nightmare when played at RB. That's the one change we should never make.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk Agreed we shouldn't make it but he is better than Fish at RB. The way we play needs full backs that can get forward and Whittaker looks the only option to me.

truehibernian
25-11-2023, 10:34 PM
Why anyone would want Josh, who’s scored 2 and had a hand in todays goal in the last 3 games, at right back !!!! That’s back into LJ selection territory- utter madness !

JohnM1875
25-11-2023, 10:36 PM
Why anyone would want Josh, who’s scored 2 and had a hand in todays goal in the last 3 games, at right back !!!! That’s back into LJ selection territory- utter madness !

Correct

wookie70
25-11-2023, 10:59 PM

I'm not advocating for it I am adding it to the list of what could happen. Imo there is only one good option and that is putting Whittaker in. Stevenson, Fish and Campbell all fall into the same bracket for me in that they have played there but none have done so successfully. Delferrière would be another option but he seems out of favour and hasn't played too well when given the chance.

BoomtownHibees
26-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Sure he wasn’t brought on to avoid injury but also to try the other formation and see if it was a goer.

What other formation? We stuck to the back 4 when Miller went off with Fish going out to right back.

Don’t think he will do that next week, be surprised if it isn’t Whittaker

A Hi-Bee
26-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Dont know what all the bleating is about, the young guy Whittaker will be at right back and he will do well, no problem, faith in Monty.
I for one is gonna enjoy his teams while I can.
:greengrin

Tambo
26-11-2023, 12:53 PM
There is a couple of calls to be made for Monty, RB being one of them

Pre match I thought Jeggo would be a miss in the semi vs Aberdeen but that wasn't the case, I'm not sure if he will be brought into this one.

Campbell or Youan? I don't think we will see Doidge and Vente.

Marshall

Whittaker
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Jair

Youan
Vente

Would be my team.

Crab apple
26-11-2023, 01:01 PM
I'm not advocating for it I am adding it to the list of what could happen. Imo there is only one good option and that is putting Whittaker in. Stevenson, Fish and Campbell all fall into the same bracket for me in that they have played there but none have done so successfully. Delferrière would be another option but he seems out of favour and hasn't played too well when given the chance.

I agree. I thought Whittaker did just fine against St Mirren. Delferriere hasn't been great when played there in the past.

ancient hibee
26-11-2023, 01:07 PM
What other formation? We stuck to the back 4 when Miller went off with Fish going out to right back.

Don’t think he will do that next week, be surprised if it isn’t Whittaker

That’s what I meant. Fish at right back.

B.H.F.C
26-11-2023, 01:19 PM
There is a couple of calls to be made for Monty, RB being one of them

Pre match I thought Jeggo would be a miss in the semi vs Aberdeen but that wasn't the case, I'm not sure if he will be brought into this one.

Campbell or Youan? I don't think we will see Doidge and Vente.

Marshall

Whittaker
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Jair

Youan
Vente

Would be my team.

If he’s fit I think he will continue with Campbell off the right. There might be a case for bringing Youan in for Boyle alongside Vente.

The Modfather
26-11-2023, 01:41 PM
Just play Whittaker. He didn’t look out of place away to the team in 3rd. I’d be disappointed, and a bit surprised, if Montgomery didn’t use it as an opportunity to give game time to a talented youngster and shoehorned someone out of position instead.

JohnM1875
26-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Just play Whittaker. He didn’t look out of place away to the team in 3rd. I’d be disappointed, and a bit surprised, if Montgomery didn’t use it as an opportunity to give game time to a talented youngster and shoehorned someone out of position instead.

Thought Whittaker started well but then struggled when they started targeting him. Fully expect him to start next weekend though.

Golden Bear
26-11-2023, 01:45 PM
Thought Whittaker started well but then struggled when they started targeting him. Fully expect him to start next weekend though.

That's my thoughts as well.

hibee-boys
27-11-2023, 06:47 AM
Campbell and Whittaker down the right side…..no thanks. If he plays the young lad there he’ll need to play Boyle further up on that side. No offence to the young lad but that would be a very weak right flank.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2023, 07:00 AM
Campbell and Whittaker down the right side…..no thanks. If he plays the young lad there he’ll need to play Boyle further up on that side. No offence to the young lad but that would be a very weak right flank.

He’ll have more help from Campbell than he would from anyone else. Not normally a fan of Campbell but he’s done a good job from the right the last couple of games.

LewysGot2
03-12-2023, 04:36 PM
He’ll have more help from Campbell than he would from anyone else. Not normally a fan of Campbell but he’s done a good job from the right the last couple of games.

Absolutely how this panned out. Well done the laddo and well done Josh (then Jimmy) for doubling up when needed.

Big ask at 16 but my goodness he's done well. Molotnikov also very assured when he came on

Diclonius
03-12-2023, 04:38 PM
Stevenson old enough to be Whittaker's dad. Blows my mind.

Not In The Know
03-12-2023, 05:53 PM
Absolutely how this panned out. Well done the laddo and well done Josh (then Jimmy) for doubling up when needed.

Big ask at 16 but my goodness he's done well. Molotnikov also very assured when he came on

boy did great today. 16!!!! Wow. Was out on his feet last 15 mins and you can’t blame him for that. Monty prob should’ve subbed him, but there was no obvious replacement.

Torto7
03-12-2023, 05:55 PM
Whittaker looks a fantastic player already. Very versatile as well. We've got a good one.

LaMotta
03-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Well done on Whittakers first start for Hibs. Great experience for him. He looks to have grown a bit as well over last few months.

Think he struggled a bit at times today tbh, he will learn from it though.

JohnM1875
03-12-2023, 06:31 PM
Well done on Whittakers first start for Hibs. Great experience for him. He looks to have grown a bit as well over last few months.

Struggled at the end cause he was noticeably shattered, but on the whole really impressed with him. Have to admit I was bricking it with him starting but I won't be as worried next time he starts. 16 years old. Wow.

Donegal Hibby
03-12-2023, 06:34 PM
Very good performance from Whittaker , looked knackered towards the end though . We have got a very good young
player here who's only going to get better.

Onceinawhile
03-12-2023, 06:34 PM

He started against St mirren as well did he not?

Agree that he struggled a bit today, but I think Aberdeen targeted him, knowing he's only 16.

The experience will probably do him good.

LaMotta
03-12-2023, 06:41 PM

Agree that he struggled a bit today, but I think Aberdeen targeted him, knowing he's only 16.

You are right.he did. I heard Monty congratulate him on radio today re his first start but must have been first home start!

Crab apple
03-12-2023, 06:42 PM

He did play against St Mirren and I thought he did okay that night. He was fine today but started to struggle a wee bit when Duk came on.

21sMay
03-12-2023, 06:57 PM
Plenty effort from the laddie and wasn't a bad performance at all , just feel he isn't actually a right back , positionally he leaves massive gaps. Reminds me of when we played David wetherspoon at right back , good on the ball and can go forward but just not tactically aware at right back

CapitalGreen
03-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Plenty effort from the laddie and wasn't a bad performance at all , just feel he isn't actually a right back , positionally he leaves massive gaps. Reminds me of when we played David wetherspoon at right back , good on the ball and can go forward but just not tactically aware at right back

He’s 16, his education on “tactical awareness” isn’t close to being complete.

LewysGot2
03-12-2023, 07:22 PM

Not his first start? He started against St Mirren

B.H.F.C
03-12-2023, 07:26 PM
He doesn’t lack composure on the ball and wants it all the time. I thought he struggled defensively getting caught quite a few times but that’s not particularly surprising for a 16 year old full back.

truehibernian
03-12-2023, 07:28 PM

He’s very tactically aware and is definitely a full back / wing back. Very assured first half but noticeable that he tired badly last 25 minutes and that’s inevitable with the huge step up in class that he’s used to playing. What a terrific attitude though, even when out on his feet he was bursting a gut into the latter stages to defend and close down. Big Will Fish and Marshall were superb at guiding through the difficult latter stages of the game too. 16 years old, I thought he did very well as did the whole back line - they put their bodies on the line time and time again last 30 minutes.

Also thought Newell and Levitt worked really well but we need a real physical player in the central area if and when they tire.

Big Fish was excellent today throughout, my MotM.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2023, 08:14 PM
Young Whittaker did well today after a shaky start almost John Brownliesque in fact

Showed no fear and was a mature street wise performance for his young years

Would have no reservations in NM pitching him in anytime soon

His future’s bright his future’s green and white

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2023, 08:17 PM
He's 16, he's a very good player already at that age. Christ i was still eating worms at that age. :greengrin

ancient hibee
03-12-2023, 08:19 PM
When he was being outpaced he resisted the temptation to stick his foot in which showed a lot of maturity. Not sure if he actually gave away a foul.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2023, 08:23 PM
When he was being outpaced he resisted the temptation to stick his foot in which showed a lot of maturity. Not sure if he actually gave away a foul.
Noticed that especially against that diving wee bassa Duk who was waiting on the tackle that never came

TBF Duk did try and keep his feet today felt sorry for him not getting a start for a poor Dons side one run he beat half our team

Fair play but Jair was the better prospect at Benfica

truehibernian
03-12-2023, 08:23 PM

That’s a very good and well noted point AH 👍 Hayes and Duk tried to entice him into challenging in the box and Rory always stayed square, stayed a yard off, and never dived in - totally agree.

LaMotta
03-12-2023, 08:25 PM
Not his first start? He started against St Mirren

Clarified this earlier on the thread:aok:

21sMay
03-12-2023, 08:26 PM
He’s very tactically aware and is definitely a full back / wing back. Very assured first half but noticeable that he tired badly last 25 minutes and that’s inevitable with the huge step up in class that he’s used to playing. What a terrific attitude though, even when out on his feet he was bursting a gut into the latter stages to defend and close down. Big Will Fish and Marshall were superb at guiding through the difficult latter stages of the game too. 16 years old, I thought he did very well as did the whole back line - they put their bodies on the line time and time again last 30 minutes.

Also thought Newell and Levitt worked really well but we need a real physical player in the central area if and when they tire.

Big Fish was excellent today throughout, my MotM.

Your opening sentence of stating he is very tactically aware stopped me from reading the rest of your post as Marshall and fish had to constantly tell him after numerous attacks about where to be , he was found to be tucked in far too close to fish on numerous occasions. Btw this isn't a dig at the kid as I think he's got plenty potential , just think he isn't ready to be starting games at right back for us at the moment

truehibernian
03-12-2023, 08:31 PM
Your opening sentence of stating he is very tactically aware stopped me from reading the rest of your post as Marshall and fish had to constantly tell him after numerous attacks about where to be , he was found to be tucked in far too close to fish on numerous occasions. Btw this isn't a dig at the kid as I think he's got plenty potential , just think he isn't ready to be starting games at right back for us at the moment

So you don’t think a 16 year old debutant needs advice through games then ? His positioning and awareness of attacks was good today, his obvious physical attributes eventually caused him problems. But he did very very well for a 16 year old right back up against very good players. His determination was class 👍

Brightside
03-12-2023, 08:32 PM
The boy did well he told us post game he was struggling 2nd half. But he should be congratulated for his efforts.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2023, 08:40 PM
The boy did well he told us post game he was struggling 2nd half. But he should be congratulated for his efforts.

He did very well. Rudi also made a good impression in his time on the park IMO

21sMay
03-12-2023, 08:46 PM
So you don’t think a 16 year old debutant needs advice through games then ? His positioning and awareness of attacks was good today, his obvious physical attributes eventually caused him problems. But he did very very well for a 16 year old right back up against very good players. His determination was class 👍

I thought his effort and willingness was outstanding , just unfortunately, like I said I think he doesn't look tactically aware enough to be a right back at the moment at this level , though the same at st mirren game. He will hopefully learn but I see a career further forward for him

Golden Bear
03-12-2023, 08:48 PM
I think the lad would benefit from working with a sprint trainer for a while. From what I've seen so far, he's not blessed with natural pace but that can be worked on as his body gets bigger and stronger.

JimBHibees
03-12-2023, 08:52 PM
I thought his effort and willingness was outstanding , just unfortunately, like I said I think he doesn't look tactically aware enough to be a right back at the moment at this level , though the same at st mirren game. He will hopefully learn but I see a career further forward for him

Thought positionally he looked fine got overloaded second half though but generally thought he did good for a 16 year old.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2023, 08:52 PM
Seemed to get forward more against St Mirren

Did he not almost score ?

Would have brought the house down

B.H.F.C
03-12-2023, 08:58 PM
Something I liked was when he got fouled in the second half, the whole team was in for him. Newell was actually, quite noticeably, at him (in a good way) throughout the game.

Cammy
04-12-2023, 07:41 AM

I said the same pre match on Sunday that he looks good on the ball and going forward linking with other players. He does still lack a bit defensively which is why there were a lot of crosses being allowed into the box from his area in the first and second halves (similar to the St Mirren game). I think he has done brillantly since he came in and has plenty of time to improve those areas, he is a cracking prospect!