PDA

View Full Version : Cave/Cowshed

Carheenlea
23-11-2023, 12:16 PM
Stumbled across this interesting image of a Scottish cup tie against Third Lanark at Easter Road in Feb 1966. Obviously a. Wet wet day with the terracing almost empty and the cave packed full! The days before high numbers of ST’s when fans could chose on the day where to stand/sit or even go at all! The attendance was only 5441.

https://i.postimg.cc/KYNKT5Hp/IMG-1327.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Mick O'Rourke
23-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Stumbled across this interesting image of a Scottish cup tie against Third Lanark at Easter Road in Feb 1966. Obviously a. Wet wet day with the terracing almost empty and the cave packed full! The days before high numbers of ST’s when fans could chose on the day where to stand/sit or even go at all! The attendance was only 5441.

https://i.postimg.cc/KYNKT5Hp/IMG-1327.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

What a battle we had that day keeping the hordes of Cathkin Mods from taking over the Cave !!:greengrin

Sadly Third Lanark , nicknamed The Hi Hi after a nearby pub ,would fold the following year.

Check the player with the mod haircut in the photo:aok::greengrin

Earlydelivery
23-11-2023, 12:47 PM
Always the Cave to me as a laddie in late 60s early 70s

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2023, 01:17 PM
https://i.ibb.co/C7zRfk6/IMG-2274.png (https://ibb.co/BZt09XG)
tous les symboles clavier (https://usefulwebtool.com/fr/clavier-mathematique)

Mick O'Rourke
23-11-2023, 01:43 PM
https://i.ibb.co/C7zRfk6/IMG-2274.png (https://ibb.co/BZt09XG)

tous les symboles clavier (https://usefulwebtool.com/fr/clavier-mathematique)

Concrete would have still been drying in that photo,Billy !!:greengrin

There was a cop who was a regular in the Cave (polis did then what we pay stewards to do now)

He always looked for an excuse to huckle somebody .
I played cat and mouse with him a few times as i was always in the middle of the Cave as a schoolboy and not at all shy !

Police neighbour told me years later that lifting someone in the ground could mean that cop could spend the rest of the game outside sitting in a van or taking his "prisoner" to Gayfield Square Polis station.
That was the incentive for Jambo Cops "working"in the Cave !!
Huckle someone on a dubious breach of the peace nonsense.
I am a Jambo... Get me out of here !

A Hi-Bee
23-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Concrete would have still been drying in that photo,Billy !!:greengrin

There was a cop who was a regular in the Cave (polis did then what we pay stewards to do now)

He always looked for an excuse to huckle somebody .
I played cat and mouse with him a few times as i was always in the middle of the Cave as a schoolboy and not at all shy !

Police neighbour told me years later that lifting someone in the ground could mean that cop could spend the rest of the game outside sitting in a van or taking his "prisoner" to Gayfield Square Polis station.
That was the incentive for Jambo Cops "working"in the Cave !!
Huckle someone on a dubious breach of the peace nonsense.
I am a Jambo... Get me out of here !

That changed a bit, when they opened (another Hibs first) the cells and polis station below the west stand (old main stand), gives some idea of just how peacefull games could be.
:greengrin

gbhibby
23-11-2023, 06:49 PM
That changed a bit, when they opened (another Hibs first) the cells and polis station below the west stand, gives some idea of just how peacefull games could be.
The gymnasium under the old north stand was always busy when the uglies visited you had to walk around the huckle wagons when leaving the North Stand and North Enclosure

Forza Fred
23-11-2023, 09:11 PM
The gymnasium under the old north stand was always busy when the uglies visited you had to walk around the huckle wagons when leaving the North Stand and North Enclosure

The Black Marias were always parked on ‘big’ match days just outside the end of what was the north enclosure/stand…..there was a gated entrance from the road.

The ‘covered terracing’ behind the goals though was always the ‘Cowshed’ to me and my lot …and although I stood there hundreds of times before and during its existence…the first time I saw it referred to as ‘The Cave’ was on here!

I know others, like Mickey O’ would say he always knew it as the Cave…but asI say, to our mob it was only ever the Cowshed.

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2023, 09:17 PM
The Black Marias were always parked on ‘big’ match days just outside the end of what was the north enclosure/stand…..there was a gated entrance from the road.

The ‘covered terracing’ behind the goals though was always the ‘Cowshed’ to me and my lot …and although I stood there hundreds of times before and during its existence…the first time I saw it referred to as ‘The Cave’ was on here!

I know others, like Mickey O’ would say he always knew it as the Cave…but asI say, to our mob it was only ever the Cowshed.

Peter Cormack would agree with you going by the title of his autobiography ‘ From The Cowshed To The Kop’

cabbageandribs1875
23-11-2023, 09:29 PM
the cowshed :agree:

IberianHibernian
23-11-2023, 09:47 PM

I know others, like Mickey O’ would say he always knew it as the Cave…but asI say, to our mob it was only ever the Cowshed.The exact opposite for me . Was always the Cave when I was going there from early 70s and even when it was filled with seats in late 1972 . Hadn`t heard it referred to as Cowshed till I read it here . (Cow)shed was at Tynecastle and maybe Dens too .

He's here!
23-11-2023, 10:12 PM
I imagine it was OK when it was terracing (before my time) but as a seated area it was awful.

PHeffernan
23-11-2023, 10:23 PM
I imagine it was OK when it was terracing (before my time) but as a seated area it was awful.

I sat in it at the Juventus game.
It was magical. An image burn't into ma brain.

surreyhibbie
23-11-2023, 10:28 PM
The exact opposite for me . Was always the Cave when I was going there from early 70s and even when it was filled with seats in late 1972 . Hadn`t heard it referred to as Cowshed till I read it here . (Cow)shed was at Tynecastle and maybe Dens too .

Me too. 100% :agree:

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2023, 05:51 AM
I sat in it at the Juventus game.
It was magical. An image burn't into ma brain.
Great nights

I watched the game from the old North Enclosure

A packed high terrace is indelibly burnt into my brain attendance 30k an iconic image

Dining at the top table in Europe some fantastic players on view Gentile Anastasi and Dino Zoff

Oh how we laughed when they brought on that old guy Altafini at 2-1 up on 69 minutes

Had pace to burn scoring twice and had time to set up Cuccureddu in between

It was the first game at Easter Road with a high fence surrounding the pitch

It was also one of the worst weeks in our history sandwiched in between a 0-5 loss at Darkheid and a 3-6 loss in the League Cup Final

Hibs would finish second in this season

Halcyon days

DIXIHIBS
24-11-2023, 08:05 AM
The exact opposite for me . Was always the Cave when I was going there from early 70s and even when it was filled with seats in late 1972 . Hadn`t heard it referred to as Cowshed till I read it here . (Cow)shed was at Tynecastle and maybe Dens too .

Same story except i knew it as the cowshed and hadnt heard of the cave until i saw it on hibs.net. Maybe depended on your mates etc at the time. I was a kid late 60s and all my school pals at leithy called it the cowshed. Seems like fans from other areas called it the cave. Whatever it was called it was a scary place....loved it.

Baader
24-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Always the Cowshed. Like Fred I'd never heard it referred to as the Cave until being on here.

worcesterhibby
24-11-2023, 08:22 AM
Another for "The Cowshed" although "The Cave" is a cooler name.

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 09:50 AM
Always the Cowshed. Like Fred I'd never heard it referred to as the Cave until being on here.

Not a surprise ,you are around 25 years younger than the original Cave-ites !! :greengrin

Those fans who would instigate the chants/singing /confrontation with invaders would mostly have been The Cave-ites.

"Cowshed" boys on the periphery could look on in amazement at our defiant and heroic Alamo style of defence repelling the attempted seige from the hunhordes and assorted other enemies who sought to take the Cave..... and sometimes others in the Cave would have to jump in to help !!

Mutual survival :greengrin

1,2,3,4,5 If you want to stay alive !:singing:
:singing:Keep out the Cave !!:singing:

Us older guys(now) mostly took our stance in our usual place in the middle of The Cave half way up that terrace directly behind the goals (something we want now fo B7 or singing section)
I accept some called it the coo-shed ,but that was after Cave was the given name.
Other clubs had covered " cow/sheds" Hertz ffs
Guess we wanted to be different .And we where at that time.
Funny though..... The huge covered terracing at Ibrox was also known as The Cave at one time.
Celtic's covered area opposite main stand was "The Jungle"
What an experience being in there was i can tell you .Scary mob on the buckie and cheap biddy.
And stealing other fans carry oots !

It was a cup game against that govanhun mob that ended the Cave as we knew it.
Battles in the Cave ,throughout the ground all over the Easter Road area/side streets that day .all the way up to London Road/Carlton Terrace Gardens/Regent Road away buses area ....Mayhem !

Found this wee gem of an article.
Its a fans story/memory of games incidents from mid 60s thru to 2000s .
One great picture taken from the old main stand of the Cave showing i think to the extreme left the original machinery area for the undersoil heating.
To the right new crash/safety barriers seem to have been installed
Great pics and a fine read that may bring back old memories .
https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/hibernian-fc-easter-road/

Peter Cormack i never saw in the Cave ...Stan Vincent ? Yes !!

Stan Vincent use to say to my brother in the dressing room before games.
"Jimmy, the Bell(Me!) is in the Cave early today" (hearing the chimes)
A reference to myself who use to take a green/white painted handbell like the ones used at schools/hospital wards during those times.
My pals dad was a painter at old infirmary in Lauriston and got me the bell from the stores there.

Years later i use to drink with Stan in the Centurian pub in Corrie.
He had a great story about THAT Valencia replay game !! lol

Stan made a bell and left it behind the pub bar for me one day.
I still have it.
It wont bash the heads of currant buns these days.
Its retired to being a doorstop when required :greengrin

GGTTH
SOL
HGSP
KOTC! :greengrin

A Hi-Bee
24-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Well you are around 25 years younger than the original Cave-ites !! :greengrin

The fans who would instigate the chants/singing /confrontation with invaders would mostly have been The Cave-ites.

Cowshed boys on the periphery could look on in amazement at our heroic Alamo style of defence repelling the hunhordes and assorted others..... And sometimes jumping in to help !!:greengrin

Us older guys(now) mostly took our stance in our usual place in the middle of The Cave half way up that terrace directly behind the goals (something we want now fo B7 or singing section)
I accept some called it the coo-shed ,but that was after Cave was the given name.
Other clubs had covered " cow/sheds" Hertz ffs
Guess we wanted to be different .And we where at that time.
Funny though..... The huge covered terracing at Ibrox was also known as The Cave at one time.
Celtic's covered area opposite main stand was "The Jungle"
What an experience being in there was i can tell you .Scary mob on the buckie and cheap biddy.
And stealing other fans carry oots !

It was a cup game against that govanhun mob that ended the Cave as we knew it.
Battles in the Cave ,throughout the ground all over the Easter Road area/side streets that day .all the way up to London Road/Carlton Terrace Gardens/Regent Road away buses area ....Mayhem !

Found this wee gem of an article.
Its a fans story/memory of games incidents from mid 60s thru to 2000s .
One great picture taken from the old main stand of the Cave showing i think to the extreme left the original machinery area for the undersoil heating.
To the right new crash/safety barriers seem to have been installed
Great pics and a fine read that may bring back old memories .
https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/hibernian-fc-easter-road/

Peter Cormack i never saw in the Cave ...Stan Vincent ? Yes !!

Stan Vincent use to say to my brother in the dressing room before games.
"Jimmy, the Bell(Me!) is in the Cave early today" (hearing the chimes)
A reference to myself who use to take a green/white painted handbell like the ones used at schools/hospital wards during those times.
My pals dad was a painter at old infirmary in Lauriston and got me the bell from the stores there.

Years later i use to drink with Stan in the Centurian pub in Corrie.
He had a great story about THAT Valencia replay game !! lol

Stan made a bell and left it behind the pub bar for me one day.
I still have it.
It wont bash the heads of currant buns these days.
Its retired to being a doorstop when requiered :greengrin

GGTTH
SOL
HGSP
KOTC! :greengrin

So, it was you the one wi the bell, some funny times Mick, yet to this day I cannot remember what we called the shed, coo cave or otherwise, maybe it was just behind the goals the old grey cells no as sharp as they used to be, but do remember some funny times wi the polis and the other side in the "shed" the polis loved to single out and then wade in mob handed. Mind when the Attillas and others used to go around the back o the shed and come at us in a pincer type movement, almost military style. The guid auld days I think not, but we cannot deny they happened, much more civilised at Easter Road nowadays no matter what the younger crowd think.
GGTTH

Golden Bear
24-11-2023, 01:09 PM
I was proud to be a trogolyte and I'll have none of this Shed nonsense.

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Remember a dude at 1-1-1973 wearing a Dr Who Hibs scarf and an old army coat ringing a bell to attract friends and family

Anyone who approached him to wish him a guid new year was offered a nip from the bottle of whisky hidden underneath his coat

Was that you Mick ?

Probably not as you would still be a nipper trying to infiltrate the Jambo’s underneath the TV cameras or any that were still there 😀

Hillsidehibby
24-11-2023, 01:36 PM
It was always The Cave to me. I can still remember the guy who used to wave a subbuteo pitch for a flag.

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 02:14 PM
Remember a dude at 1-1-1973 wearing a Dr Who Hibs scarf and an old army coat ringing a bell to attract friends and family

Anyone who approached him to wish him a guid new year was offered a nip from the bottle of whisky hidden underneath his coat

Was that you Mick ?

Probably not as you would still be a nipper trying to infiltrate the Jambo’s underneath the TV cameras or any that were still there ��
No i think my noisy and infamous cave bell was retired by then.
Although strangely enough my brother in law had a Dr Who Uni type green and yellow scarf that reached his knees and he wore army navy store stuff.
And a good Hibby who went to games with us Jungle boys as did a couple of members on here fae Clerry !!
I was 21 that month and was too busy getting through the tynie tiny turnstiles with 4 cans of McEwans Export and a quarter bottle of tawny doon ma troosers !(troosers in vogue now wouldnt do !!)
Cops confiscated bevvy at the gates left right and centre at those games back then.
Mostly full bottles. They didnae smash them into the waste bins. No that daft !
They kept the unopened beer bottles and cans as well.
Sleekit lot ,thae polis !
Memory a bit hazy
But we had got round to behind the goals at the School End by the time Jimmy slid his second goal in .

The rest of that day is sadly mostly blank now !

That was what the old ruby/tawny washed down with Export did in those days !!:greengrin

Feed McGraw
24-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Always The Cave, as someone said, it`s a much cooler name anyway, especially as opposed to cowshed or shed which were common all over the country.

Amazes me every time this debate comes up that guys of a certain age who still remember the era well, don`t recall hearing the term at all !! Maybe it was who you mucked about with, but a huge number of people called it The Cave, I think the next generation called it the cooshed as The Cave would mean nothing by then as after it was seated it was a different kind of place.

Since90+2
24-11-2023, 04:27 PM
Cowshed

Ringothedog
24-11-2023, 04:38 PM
As I have been going to Easter Road since 1893 I can confirm it was always the “ cave”.

scm70nyd1973
24-11-2023, 04:52 PM
As I have been going to Easter Road since 1893 I can confirm it was always the “ cave”.

It was the Cave for me since 1962 - North Stand was the norm for me as a boy so looked right on to it.

As a matter of interest- how did the yesteryear Scottish Cup win celebrations compare with 2016 🤭 Did you ever find your flat cap 🤔

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 04:52 PM

Debate adjourned.
Close the thread .

And keep out the Cave ...or else !!

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 05:00 PM

To brighten up Christmas times since 1893 ,it was called Santas Grotto for the Cave-ites

For the cooshedders, it was called The Cattle Trough or The Manger.

Pick a winner !!!

gbhibby
24-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Debate adjourned.
Close the thread .

And keep out the Cave ...or else !!
Away you and get back to your cowshed😁

Seriously I always knew it as the Cave but it was some jambo pals that called it the cowshed.

Ringothedog
24-11-2023, 05:07 PM
It was the Cave for me since 1962 - North Stand was the norm for me as a boy so looked right on to it.

As a matter of interest- how did the yesteryear Scottish Cup win celebrations compare with 2016 🤭 Did you ever find your flat cap 🤔

They were all comparable. The first one in 1887 was a joy as there was no league back so technically we were Scottish champions. The win in 1902 was a major piss up which continued for over a year as we went on to the win the league in 1903. Never mind lost weekend that was a lost year

Carheenlea
24-11-2023, 05:37 PM
Always The Cave, as someone said, it`s a much cooler name anyway, especially as opposed to cowshed or shed which were common all over the country.

Amazes me every time this debate comes up that guys of a certain age who still remember the era well, don`t recall hearing the term at all !! Maybe it was who you mucked about with, but a huge number of people called it The Cave, I think the next generation called it the cooshed as The Cave would mean nothing by then as after it was seated it was a different kind of place.

Before social media, and beyond that, the fanzines, I’m sure references such as naming certain parts of the grounds was very much subject to your regular Hibs following group.

It was always the cowshed for me, but I wonder if those who refer to the cave are of a generation who stood on the terracing when it was a covered enclosure and when it became seated the cowshed reference became the more common name?

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Before social media, and beyond that, the fanzines, I’m sure references such as naming certain parts of the grounds was very much subject to your regular Hibs following group.

It was always the cowshed for me, but I wonder if those who refer to the cave are of a generation who stood on the terracing when it was a covered enclosure and when it became seated the cowshed reference became the more common name?

You maybe got it in one.
I describe such in an earlier post. An era thing it may well be
Although some of my generation dont seem to have known it was originally The Cave !!:agree:
When the seats went in ......the Cave was no more.
And the club increased the prices, so us plebs would move elsewhere.
I rarely went back in there until the later "Father and Son/Child?" deal .
My thoughts looking back is they wanted to disperse the Cave of the Edinburgh young street/scheme teams of the time after a number of clashes.
Notably the famous one against the oldhunhordes.
Would have been police involvement as well i suppose.
Seems like a similar situation is being discussed now re the FF
In reverse !!

Feed McGraw
24-11-2023, 06:30 PM

It was always the cowshed for me, but I wonder if those who refer to the cave are of a generation who stood on the terracing when it was a covered enclosure and when it became seated the cowshed reference became the more common name? Yes Carheenlea, that`s exactly what I`m saying, that it`s more a generation thing from the old terrace to the seating .........But, there are still guys from my generation who refer to it as the cowshed, so I give up :greengrin. Still The Cave though :wink:.

scm70nyd1973
24-11-2023, 06:42 PM
They were all comparable. The first one in 1887 was a joy as there was no league back so technically we were Scottish champions. The win in 1902 was a major piss up which continued for over a year as we went on to the win the league in 1903. Never mind lost weekend that was a lost year

I’ve often thought of what dates I’d go back to if I had a Time Machine - clearly I’d start in early August 1875 - how good would it be to have such an appliance - where can you recommend for a beer and see you there 👍

Mick O'Rourke
24-11-2023, 07:15 PM
I’ve often thought of what dates I’d go back to if I had a Time Machine - clearly I’d start in early August 1875 - how good would it be to have such an appliance - where can you recommend for a beer and see you there ��

Pubs in the West Port were lively in those days .
Maybe set the time machine back a few years in Ireland and deal first with Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan
I dreamt once i was back in 1902
Unfortunately i didnt appear at the cup final but in in the army of Lord Kitchener in the middle of the Boer War !!!

scm70nyd1973
24-11-2023, 08:17 PM
Pubs in the West Port were lively in those days .
Maybe set the time machine back a few years in Ireland and deal first with Sir Charles Edward Trevelyan
I dreamt once i was back in 1902
Unfortunately i didnt appear at the cup final but in in the army of Lord Kitchener in the middle of the Boer War !!!

A cad - but I can’t interfere with the past or there would only be one team in Edinburgh now - god forbid

Ringothedog
24-11-2023, 08:36 PM
I’ve often thought of what dates I’d go back to if I had a Time Machine - clearly I’d start in early August 1875 - how good would it be to have such an appliance - where can you recommend for a beer and see you there 👍

The White Horse in the Canongate would do. Used to be a good old fashioned pub with a Hibs strip on the wall

gbhibby
24-11-2023, 09:01 PM
If I had a time machine would go back to just after the 2nd World War to watch the famous 5 and also would be able to watch my dad playing football

The Veteran
24-11-2023, 09:19 PM
The Cave.

Always the cave.

Oh, the memories.

Roxyhibee
24-11-2023, 10:10 PM
The Cave.

Always the cave.

Oh, the memories.

Definitely.

Maybe it was a local area thing because pretty sure in 1960’s Fernieside / Ferniehill I only recall it ever being called the cave. Then moved just down the road to Moredunvale in the 1970’s (and there were loads of Hibbies in our street, in fact more than the rest of the other teams put together) and again it was always the cave.

Forza Fred
24-11-2023, 11:53 PM
You maybe got it in one.
I describe such in an earlier post. An era thing it may well be
Although some of my generation dont seem to have known it was originally The Cave !!:agree:
When the seats went in ......the Cave was no more.
And the club increased the prices, so us plebs would move elsewhere.
I rarely went back in there until the later "Father and Son/Child?" deal .
My thoughts looking back is they wanted to disperse the Cave of the Edinburgh young street/scheme teams of the time after a number of clashes.
Notably the famous one against the oldhunhordes.
Would have been police involvement as well i suppose.
Seems like a similar situation is being discussed now re the FF
In reverse !!

Nah, no havin it!

I stood with fellow stalwarts Frank Dougan, Ronnie Ferguson, Ronnie Williamson etc long before the seats went in and we all knew it as the Cowshed.

In fact, can mind standing there before it was built…

Guess the name you used depended on your group.

As pointed out earlier, it’s interesting that Peter Cormack’s book was titled….’From the Cowshed to the Kop’….and no ‘From the Cave to the Kop’….although no doubt Mick, you could write a book titled along the lines of .’Removed from the Cave by a Cop’��

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 06:00 AM
Nah, no havin it!

I stood with fellow stalwarts Frank Dougan, Ronnie Ferguson, Ronnie Williamson etc long before the seats went in and we all knew it as the Cowshed.

From a mob to a group ,now its "fellow stalwarts" Must be right then:greengrin
One of who i know was removed by cops at games.
And your big pal FD who use to go on our supporters bus in the early days called it the Cave then.
Your last gasp book title remark about me could certainly refer to one of your "fellow stalwarts":greengrin

Cormack was certainly no expert on the Cave ,as what most fans called that enclosure .
His book title likely written/ghosted by someone else. Maybe one of your mob!!
Many of his fellow players called it The Cave .Jimmy did !
Peter was too busy warding off his new female fan club to notice.
I knew some of the groupies !(who came to away games with us)

But yes, i could write a few chapters about times in The Cave.
Wish i had kept a diary now !
Let it go now,Fred,mind yer blood pressure,son !....
Just cherish your long past memories of the Cave..... or your cowshed......

They never arrested Mick out the Cave ,btw!:wink:
So maybe "Stories of the Hibs Cave "!! would be a better title:greengrin

Slainte

Forza Fred
25-11-2023, 06:30 AM
And your big pal FD who use to go on our supporters bus in the early days called it the Cave then.
Your last gasp book title remark about me could certainly refer to one of your "fellow stalwarts":greengrin

Cormack was certainly no expert on the Cave ,as what most fans called that enclosure .

Slainte

:wink::wink::wink:

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2023, 07:33 AM
Nah, no havin it!

As pointed out earlier, it’s interesting that Peter Cormack’s book was titled….’From the Cowshed to the Kop’….and no ‘From the Cave to the Kop’….although no doubt Mick, you could write a book titled along the lines of .’Removed from the Cave by a Cop’��

FilipinoHibs
25-11-2023, 07:41 AM
Always the Cave, open fights and blood on the terracing when Rangers visited.

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 07:50 AM

:top marks:party:

Enter the Cave at your peril !:take that:duck:
Come ahead if you think yer hard enough !!:casper:

Some home fans would not use The Cave when the hordes came to town to avoid getting into a fight !!

Which was fair enough.
Getting lifted is not a joke. Cost you your job in some instances.

Carheenlea
25-11-2023, 07:57 AM
Cave/cowshed before cover was built. Must have been constructed not long after the time of this picture.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fggr8yG/IMG-1343.webp (https://postimg.cc/cKYBzc9H)

Carheenlea
25-11-2023, 08:01 AM
Game against Rangers

https://i.postimg.cc/QtB45Qqv/IMG-1344.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Billy Whizz
25-11-2023, 09:01 AM
Game against Rangers

That’s a fantastic photo, thanks for sharing

marinello59
25-11-2023, 10:48 AM
That’s a fantastic photo, thanks for sharing

:agree:

Golden Bear
25-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Game against Rangers

Look at the state of the goalmouth. !

In this present mamby pamby era the game would have been postponed.

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 11:12 AM

Aye and it was a visit from that hunmob that ultimately led to the Cave being reconstructed/seated.
50 odd years on ....still the same hunhordes .the scourge of our society/ football grounds.

gbhibby
25-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Aye and it was a visit from that hunmob that ultimately led to the Cave being reconstructed/seated.
50 odd years on ....still the same hunhordes .the scourge of our society/ football grounds.
That was a hellish night even worse than some of the visit to Hampden at that time. I had a view of it from the north stand always went to the north stand when they visited didnae have a crash helmet.

hibeerealist
25-11-2023, 12:28 PM

Slainte

Always the Cave to me and the mates I went with. Don't know if you were in early enough for the first Liverpool game at ER in the 70's when the scouse skinheads marched around the ground from the south terrace to try and "take" the Cave? Mostly the young ones in the Cave at that point but it got very heavy when the big boys got in fae the pub, lots of bother that night. A few Hibs folk stabbed, I have never liked Liverpool since. Oh and the young team didnae let them take the cave early doors either.

DIXIHIBS
25-11-2023, 12:40 PM
Unusual but interesting thread. Fans who called it the cowshed, never heard it called the cave and vice versa. It was clearly a 'where were you from and who were your mates' thing. Someone should do a hibs.net poll. 50/50 split. 😁😁

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 01:00 PM
Unusual but interesting thread. Fans who called it the cowshed, never heard it called the cave and vice versa. It was clearly a 'where were you from and who were your mates' thing. Someone should do a hibs.net poll. 50/50 split. ����
You are looking at around 60 years ago now.
Are you setting up a polling station at the pearly gates as well !?

Some of my old Cave pals are up there now !

Futile really !
If anyone at the time had never heard it called the Cave ,they wirnae around it much or deaf.

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 01:14 PM
Always the Cave to me and the mates I went with. Don't know if you were in early enough for the first Liverpool game at ER in the 70's when the scouse skinheads marched around the ground from the south terrace to try and "take" the Cave? Mostly the young ones in the Cave at that point but it got very heavy when the big boys got in fae the pub, lots of bother that night. A few Hibs folk stabbed, I have never liked Liverpool since. Oh and the young team didnae let them take the cave early doors either.

Remember it well ! Yes...we defended the Cave !!
A mounted cop got knocked or fell of his horse after the game that night around Albion Road/Easter Road.
We, around 20 odd off us, from Clerry were approaching Doffos at the end of London Road when 2 cops tried to stop our group looking for someone.(maybe to do with the fallen mounted cop)
We were the Clerry Jungle and just blanked them. We know nuthin!!
More cops came and instigated a fight.
One cop got a burst and bloody ear. He was looking in a wee bit of distress !!
The cops then went radio rental ....more turned up and clubbed anything in sight. Us !
I spent the night in a cell,a cowardly doing, and fined 2 weeks pay.

hibeerealist
25-11-2023, 01:38 PM
Remember it well ! Yes...we defended the Cave !!
A mounted cop got knocked or fell of his horse after the game that night around Albion Road/Easter Road.
We, around 20 odd off us, from Clerry were approaching Doffos at the end of London Road when 2 cops tried to stop our group looking for someone.(maybe to do with the fallen mounted cop)
We were the Clerry Jungle and just blanked them. We know nuthin!!
More cops came and instigated a fight.
One cop got a burst and bloody ear. He was looking in a wee bit of distress !!
The cops then went radio rental ....more turned up and clubbed anything in sight. Us !
I spent the night in a cell,a cowardly doing, and fined 2 weeks pay.

Sore one!

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 01:45 PM
Sore one!
Indeed
A black mark for nought
THe polis then huckled folk,colluded lied,folk got criminal records that ruined/affected job/career prospects

Bristolhibby
25-11-2023, 01:48 PM
the cowshed :agree:

Cowshed to me. 43 year old, first went to Easter Road in 1988.

Maybe it’s an age thing?

J

Forza Fred
25-11-2023, 01:57 PM
You are looking at around 60 years ago now.
Are you setting up a polling station at the pearly gates as well !?

Some of my old Cave pals are up there now !

Futile really !
If anyone at the time had never heard it called the Cave ,they wirnae around it much or deaf.

The missus reckons I’m deaf right enough……😂

.Sean.
25-11-2023, 02:16 PM
I love reading all the stories on here of what games were like decades ago. How different was the atmosphere/ general day out at the football from how it is now? Were people as emotionally fixated with their team as they are now or could they switch off a bit more? Was it more or less tribal than it is now?

Bridge hibs
25-11-2023, 05:09 PM
I love reading all the stories on here of what games were like decades ago. How different was the atmosphere/ general day out at the football from how it is now? Were people as emotionally fixated with their team as they are now or could they switch off a bit more? Was it more or less tribal than it is now?Ive been attending hibs games since 1977 and I followed them home and away and absolutely loved it. Old terraces and enclosures, just typical old school grounds that seemed to create their own atmosphere, Dens, Love Street, Motherwell, old Muirton Park at St Johnstone, Firhill at Partick Thistle was always a good ground to visit, in fact I remember at Love Street fans used to swap ends at half time by walking behind their main stand. As lovely Easter Road is I certainly miss those old grounds, many now are just soulless

Another good thing about travelling to away games apart from the banter and radgeness was the choice of supporters buses available from Easter Road and before they were stopped, the football special trains

The Easter Road East terrace was vast and always tended to look quite sparse, not only due to the size but if I recall I attended a lot of turgid games where 6000 was the norm unless we were playing one of the Glasgow two or hearts. I think the atmosphere changed for the better when they trimmed the East and eventually put a roof on it, the Souness sending off game as discussed on another thread was just absolute mental, the East was so packed I dont think you could have slipped a fag paper between the fans

It was all a bit of the good, the bad and the ugly in those days but no matter how **** things were there was a solid core of around 5/7 thousand

With regards the cave or cow shed, Im quite sure I called it the cow shed, definitely dont remember calling it the cave

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 05:33 PM
Ive been attending hibs games since 1977 and I followed them home and away and absolutely loved it. Old terraces and enclosures, just typical old school grounds that seemed to create their own atmosphere, Dens, Love Street, Motherwell, old Muirton Park at St Johnstone, Firhill at Partick Thistle was always a good ground to visit, in fact I remember at Love Street fans used to swap ends at half time by walking behind their main stand. As lovely Easter Road is I certainly miss those old grounds, many now are just soulless

Another good thing about travelling to away games apart from the banter and radgeness was the choice of supporters buses available from Easter Road and before they were stopped, the football special trains

The Easter Road East terrace was vast and always tended to look quite sparse, not only due to the size but if I recall I attended a lot of turgid games where 6000 was the norm unless we were playing one of the Glasgow two or hearts. I think the atmosphere changed for the better when they trimmed the East and eventually put a roof on it, the Souness sending off game as discussed on another thread was just absolute mental, the East was so packed I dont think you could have slipped a fag paper between the fans

It was all a bit of the good, the bad and the ugly in those days but no matter how **** things were there was a solid core of around 5/7 thousand

With regards the cave or cow shed, Im quite sure I called it the cow shed, definitely dont remember calling it the cave

Great recall ,Bridge
Yes some attendances were a mystery.
When i first went crowds could range from 3.000 odds to near 40.000

A huge stadium it was,in my young days, but an absolute tip throughout.
From the main Stand firetrap,to the rubble and assorted building site type mess/fly tipping at the back of the main terracing and the crumbling terraces/steps.
The mice and their pals avioded the toilets
Leaving the Dunbar End when it was full was not a nice experience at all with the crushing exit bottleneck.
Tynie had the same problems and worse!
The Cave !!!

However by 1977 when you started going the Original Cave and its dwellers would have sadly been no more. or dispersed to the far flung ends of the stadium !..... victims of progress, just to install bench seats behind the goals and put up prices :fuming:

So a bit before your time,sadly.

.Sean.
25-11-2023, 05:44 PM
Great recall ,Bridge A huge stadium but a
When i first went crowds could range from 3.000 odds to 400.000

A huge stadium but a tip throughout
From the main Stand to the mess at the back of the main terracing and the crumbling terraces/steps
.Exiting the Dunbar End when it was full was not a nice experience at all with the crushing .
The Cave !!!

However by 1977 when you started going the Original Cave and its dwellers would have sadly been no more or dispersed to the far flung ends of the stadium !..... victims of progress, just to installs bench seats behind the goals and put up prices :fuming:

So a bit before your time .
What was the mess behind the old main terracing? I’ve obviously seen photos of it from the inside but I’ve never once seen a photo of the back of the big old East.

Bridge hibs
25-11-2023, 05:45 PM
Great recall ,Bridge A huge stadium but a
When i first went crowds could range from 3.000 odds to 400.000

A huge stadium but a tip throughout
From the main Stand to the mess at the back of the main terracing and the crumbling terraces/steps
.Exiting the Dunbar End when it was full was not a nice experience at all with the crushing .
The Cave !!!

However by 1977 when you started going the Original Cave and its dwellers would have sadly been no more or dispersed to the far flung ends of the stadium !..... victims of progress, just to installs bench seats behind the goals and put up prices :fuming:

So a bit before your time .Jeez Mick 400,000 must have been epic, I knew the East was big but **** me !! 🫨

🤣

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Jeez Mick 400,000 must have been epic, I knew the East was big but **** me !! ��

��

That was Tynecastle !!

Jeez give a guy a chance to edit before the ambush !"!#
OP fixed !! with add ons !

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2023, 06:20 PM
I remember we used to pack the cave / cowshed and almost suck the baw into the net and celebrate every goal as if it was the last minute winner in the World Cup Final itself hugging anyone standing next to you and throwing the Izal ( hard bog roll ) into the net rigging and giving the opposition goalkeeper pelters for 45 minutes any passing polis ( Dixon ) the Referee ( Baldy or Mason in the Black ) injured opposition player ( dig a hole and bury him ) and any dog unfortunate enough to stray onto the pitch a common occurrence back in the day ( Colin Stein or John Greig ) Popular dog catchers were Eric Stevenson or Peter Cormack

The acoustics of the Cave/Cowshed amplified the sound of any singing and goal celebration and made it a popular location for youngsters

One stand out memory was the debut of one Johnny Graham a late late signing from Falkirk who scored two goals against Airdrieonians on the same evening that he signed and was instantly proclaimed the new King of Scotland

Each goal being celebrated with a mini pitch invasion and a rendition of Johnny Graham King of Scotland

What a signing

Sadly for Johnny things didn’t work out

Bridge hibs
25-11-2023, 06:21 PM
That was Tynecastle !!

Jeez give a guy a chance to edit before the ambush !"!#
OP fixed !! with add ons !Sorry Mick 🤣

However it would have been amazing to see Easter Road with a 100,000 capacity as was discussed at the time 🫨

scm70nyd1973
25-11-2023, 07:00 PM
Unusual but interesting thread. Fans who called it the cowshed, never heard it called the cave and vice versa. It was clearly a 'where were you from and who were your mates' thing. Someone should do a hibs.net poll. 50/50 split. 😁😁

I’m from Glasgow but I can’t remember exactly how it came to be known as the Cave for me TBH.

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2023, 07:17 PM
What was the mess behind the old main terracing? I’ve obviously seen photos of it from the inside but I’ve never once seen a photo of the back of the big old East.

My hazy recollection
Part of it was like a builders yard with unwanted timber/rubble
Generally untidy .It was a really huge area .Big steep staircases going up to terracing
It was suurounded by a huge Berlin Wall and huge gates (Exits) with manky lavvies and even mankier oily turnstyles !
San Siver...... not San Siro !!

Just look at how many buildings are there now !!Gives you an idea on how vast it was .

There was photos of it all somewhere from the /60s/70s or thereabouts
Just like the photos of the Cave.... half built with steel still showing between concrete pours .
I cannot find them now. i used to have some of them on an old PC/
Lost now !! Who knows... some one here might have them too !