PDA

View Full Version : European Championship 2024

PatHead
21-11-2023, 09:05 PM
Now that the groups are finished is there a list of the seedings?

Col2
21-11-2023, 09:10 PM
https://x.com/scotlandscoeff1/status/1727082822412673456?s=46&t=KQxCdT4HU58YyVv_hqKvFA

SteveHFC
21-11-2023, 09:14 PM
Belgium, Albania, Play-Off C please.

PatHead
21-11-2023, 09:20 PM
https://x.com/scotlandscoeff1/status/1727082822412673456?s=46&t=KQxCdT4HU58YyVv_hqKvFA

Thanks.

PatHead
21-11-2023, 09:25 PM
Bet we will get Italy from pot 4.

LaMotta
21-11-2023, 09:28 PM
Belgium, Albania, Play-Off C please.

:agree:

B.H.F.C
21-11-2023, 09:51 PM
There’ll be no in between with the draw. Will be very decent or very bad.

Pot 1 team we’ll more than likely lose against. Avoid Denmark and Turkey from Pot 2 and Italy and Switzerland from Pot 4 would be the hope I’d think.

Paul1642
21-11-2023, 10:45 PM
Pot 1 - There is not great draw but Belgium would do. Avoid England, Portugal and France. We have shown we can beat Spain, and Germany are not at their best recently although home advantage will come into play.

Pot 2 - No terrible draw but Austria, Albania and Romania would be preferred. We can beat any team in this pot on our day.

Pot 3 - We have avoided some good teams by being pot 3 and would say we are the 3rd best team in the pot at worst. I wouldn’t choose games against Croatia / Netherlands over any team in pot 2 and the rest are negligible.

Pot 4 - Avoid Italy and Switzerland. Hard to call otherwise without knowing the play of results but certain play off teams could be worse than Serbia. I do wish that Italy were in pot 3 with us as it feels typical that we will draw them and they are probably tougher than the team in pot 2.

There are 6 groups and all 1st and 2nd placed team will go though as well as 4 of the 6 3rd paced teams. With our current squad / manager/ form we really should be looking at knockout football for the first time in forever 🎊

It’s a weird one in that some pot 4 teams will quite l possibly up stronger than their respective pot 2 team. Should be a great tournament follow on form a boring COVID Euro 2020(21)

hibby rae
21-11-2023, 11:00 PM
There’ll be no in between with the draw. Will be very decent or very bad.

Pot 1 team we’ll more than likely lose against. Avoid Denmark and Turkey from Pot 2 and Italy and Switzerland from Pot 4 would be the hope I’d think.

Turkey looked quite meh tonight tbf

Paul1642
21-11-2023, 11:01 PM

Already qualified and nothing to play for in terms of seeing. To be expected.

B.H.F.C
21-11-2023, 11:03 PM

Aye but same can be said for a lot of teams, us included, after qualification.

I don’t think there is a horror draw in Pot 2 but I’d have Turkey as one I’d rather avoid.

Diclonius
22-11-2023, 07:09 AM
Just received advance notice of our and England's Euros groups:

Scotland
France
Denmark
Italy

England
Albania
Slovenia
Luxembourg

Seriously though, best draw for us would be something like Albania/Romania and the play-off C winner. The top seeds are all equally difficult so don't think it would really matter which one of them we get.

Callyballybe
22-11-2023, 07:20 AM
Italy in pot 4 is a dull one. You just know who they'll be drawn with....

Smartie
22-11-2023, 07:53 AM
I always want to draw England in these things. We have the potential to drag them down to our level and beat them, especially at home, more so than any of the other "big" countries imo.

I've also become relatively hardened to the disappointment of losing to them now, which you can easily write off as being down to them being a decent side.

Col2
22-11-2023, 08:07 AM
I always want to draw England in these things. We have the potential to drag them down to our level and beat them, especially at home, more so than any of the other "big" countries imo.

I've also become relatively hardened to the disappointment of losing to them now, which you can easily write off as being down to them being a decent side.

Not this time. England should be winning this tournament and with France are the strongest teams. They murdered us at Hampden. Pace, skill, movement, energy. Miles ahead of us.

Smartie
22-11-2023, 08:30 AM
Not this time. England should be winning this tournament and with France are the strongest teams. They murdered us at Hampden. Pace, skill, movement, energy. Miles ahead of us.

On a good day they’re superb, no question.

But they don’t always have good days.

Renfrew_Hibby
22-11-2023, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't fancy drawing Turkey... Millions of people of Turkish descent in Germany, it's basically a home tournament for them. I'd imagine it would be quite a lively experience for the Tartan Army but not in a good way.

DIXIHIBS
22-11-2023, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't fancy drawing Turkey... Millions of people of Turkish descent in Germany, it's basically a home tournament for them. I'd imagine it would be quite a lively experience for the Tartan Army but not in a good way.

Stayed in a Turkish area when we played Germany in Dortmund about 10 years ago. The young Turks were not the most welcoming...

Frazerbob
22-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Avoid England is my only wish. I don't want to be anywhere near their ****my fans if at all possible. If we do draw them, the game over shadows the rest of the group games like it did in 96 and 2021.

WeeRussell
22-11-2023, 09:05 AM

It was a shoeing at hampden, no doubt. And they’re clearly ahead of us and a proper good side. But the last competitive game we played them, home game for them, we really could’ve and maybe should’ve won. Since the friendly that everyone is referencing now, they’ve put in 2 or 3 pretty mediocre performances.

I wouldn’t say “should be winning a tournament” about any international team. Certainly not England, who once again, won’t be winning.

WeeRussell
22-11-2023, 09:07 AM
Avoid England is my only wish. I don't want to be anywhere near their ****my fans if at all possible. If we do draw them, the game over shadows the rest of the group games like it did in 96 and 2021.

I do get this point though. And totally agree with the second sentence.

Stairway 2 7
22-11-2023, 09:08 AM
Don't want England. I'm sure Scotland will get on Brilliant with the locals and the teams we play, that's just not what's happening with a section of this lot

England in Skopje yesterday

Renfrew_Hibby
22-11-2023, 09:23 AM
It was a shoeing at hampden, no doubt. And they’re clearly ahead of us and a proper good side. But the last competitive game we played them, home game for them, we really could’ve and maybe should’ve won. Since the friendly that everyone is referencing now, they’ve put in 2 or 3 pretty mediocre performances.

I wouldn’t say “should be winning a tournament” about any international team. Certainly not England, who once again, won’t be winning.

Missing Jude Bellingham recently. Genuinely going to be England's Zidane.

MagicSwirlingShip
22-11-2023, 09:29 AM

That’s mad - they won the last one

surreyhibbie
22-11-2023, 10:13 AM
Just received advance notice of our and England's Euros groups:

Scotland
France
Denmark
Italy

England
Albania
Slovenia
Luxembourg

Seriously though, best draw for us would be something like Albania/Romania and the play-off C winner. The top seeds are all equally difficult so don't think it would really matter which one of them we get.

My prediction was Germany instead of France but the rest were the same...including England!

Pretty Boy
22-11-2023, 11:44 AM
I get why people would want to avoid Turkey off the park but on the park are they really to be feared? Same record as us in qualifying in an easier group.

There was all kinds of hype about them at the last Euros with people even claiming they were a dark horse to win the whole thing. 0 points, 0 wins, 1 goal scored and the joint worst defensive record in the group stages. Their WC qualifying campaign was marginally worse than ours in a comparable group.

I know it's Scotland at a major tournament but I'd be confident of Scotland matching any team in pot 2. There are more favourable draws but if it was Turkey I wouldn't be overly worried.

Itsnoteasy
22-11-2023, 12:01 PM

And when was the last time we beat them at home?

WeeRussell
22-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Missing Jude Bellingham recently. Genuinely going to be England's Zidane.

Yeah he’s class.

People are getting a little carried away with the ‘schooling’ and how far ahead they are though because of one friendly against us. A game in which Robertson defended like me, and Tierney had his worst game I’ve probably seen.

All the focus on that game, which was a friendly, but excuses galore for the last few competitive games because they’d qualified already. But it’s what some people like to do.

Moving on.. I think it’s only a couple of weeks until we find out the draw. Saturday 2nd?

patlowe
22-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Obviously we should aim for top two but given one win is often enough to get you through in third these days it really feels like that Pot 4 draw is absolutely crucial. Huge difference between Italy and say Georgia when looking for that precious three points to get you over the line.

KeithTheHibby
22-11-2023, 12:37 PM

Hopefully England. For as long as I can remember they have been spawny gits with their drawn groups / knockout teams until they meet a decent team and Southgate does a Levein86.

Smartie
22-11-2023, 01:05 PM
And when was the last time we beat them at home?

A long time ago but part of that is because they know they need to pay attention and play well to be beating us at Hampden.

I reckon that in spite of that decent recent record they have against us, we'd probably be the third seeds they'd rather not be meeting.

JimBHibees
22-11-2023, 01:28 PM

My view as well

JimBHibees
22-11-2023, 01:30 PM
I get why people would want to avoid Turkey off the park but on the park are they really to be feared? Same record as us in qualifying in an easier group.

There was all kinds of hype about them at the last Euros with people even claiming they were a dark horse to win the whole thing. 0 points, 0 wins, 1 goal scored and the joint worst defensive record in the group stages. Their WC qualifying campaign was marginally worse than ours in a comparable group.

I know it's Scotland at a major tournament but I'd be confident of Scotland matching any team in pot 2. There are more favourable draws but if it was Turkey I wouldn't be overly worried.

Agree about Turkey half decent but nothing to be afraid of imo.

Since90+2
22-11-2023, 02:10 PM
A long time ago but part of that is because they know they need to pay attention and play well to be beating us at Hampden.

I reckon that in spite of that decent recent record they have against us, we'd probably be the third seeds they'd rather not be meeting.

They'd rather face us than Holland I'd imagine.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Cannot wait for the draw. Hard to see beyond France or England. Spain losing Gavi was a massive blow

Got to be aiming towards the last 16.

Since90+2
22-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Cannot wait for the draw. Hard to see beyond France or England. Spain losing Gavi was a massive blow

Got to be aiming towards the last 16.

As with most tournaments it will be luck of the draw

If we get France,Denmark and Italy I'd be very surprised if we get our the group.

Get Belgium, Albania and a play off winner and it's definitely a possibility.

davhibby
22-11-2023, 04:39 PM

Yep, Turkey are 3rd in terms of who we’d want in pot 2 from a football perspective behind Albania and Romania.

The draw for the playoffs is tomorrow and has quite a big bearing on each of the different paths. If Ukraine go in to path A then path B would be who we would want as it would be made up of Finland, Iceland, Israel and Bosnia - all poor sides and worse than Greece who will likely end up winning path C

Renfrew_Hibby
22-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Would love us to get Germany and play them in Dortmund, what an atmosphere it would be. 30,40,50K Scots descending on the city. We'd have a cracking time with the hosts.

theonlywayisup
23-11-2023, 10:59 AM
Easy path to the Finals for Wales?

Euro 2024 qualification: Wales drawn against Finland in play-off semi-final in Cardiff - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67504099)

Wales (World ranking 28) at home to Finland (62) in the semi, with the winner playing at home to either Poland (31) or Estonia (118). You'd think it will be a Wales v Poland play-off final in Cardiff.

PatHead
23-11-2023, 11:03 AM

Euro 2024 qualification: Wales drawn against Finland in play-off semi-final in Cardiff - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67504099)

Wales (World ranking 28) at home to Finland (62) in the semi, with the winner playing at home to either Poland (31) or Estonia (118). You'd think it will be a Wales v Poland play-off final in Cardiff.

Has the play off final venue been drawn yet?

theonlywayisup
23-11-2023, 11:12 AM
Has the play off final venue been drawn yet?

The BBC report states "The winner (of the Wales/Finland match) will earn a home tie against either Poland or Estonia five days later in a play-off final".

PatHead
23-11-2023, 11:23 AM
The BBC report states "The winner (of the Wales/Finland match) will earn a home tie against either Poland or Estonia five days later in a play-off final".

Sorry, sure I had read somewhere that a separate draw was made for that was made. Must have dreamt it!

davhibby
23-11-2023, 11:52 AM

Think they’ll manage that as Poland have been very poor recently. Wales would be a good pot 4 option.Unless they’re playing at home they are awful these days

JimBHibees
23-11-2023, 12:10 PM

Not sure they could have got an easier draw however both Finland and Poland will be tricky opponents even in Cardiff.

LaMotta
23-11-2023, 12:37 PM
Would love us to get Germany and play them in Dortmund, what an atmosphere it would be. 30,40,50K Scots descending on the city. We'd have a cracking time with the hosts.

Germanys three group games are in Munich, Stuttgart and Frankfurt.

We could play them in Dortmund in the last 16 if they win group A and we come second in group C. So quite unlikely:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
23-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Hopefully England. For as long as I can remember they have been spawny gits with their drawn groups / knockout teams until they meet a decent team and Southgate does a Levein86.

Love hearing this tosh, even from England fans who have an agenda against Southgate.

Steven79
23-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Love hearing this tosh, even from England fans who have an agenda against Southgate.

Last world cup.

Iran, U.S.A. & Wales.

Since90+2
23-11-2023, 02:36 PM
Last world cup.

Iran, U.S.A. & Wales.

To be fair the major tournament before that they had Scotland, Croatia (who at the time were one of the best sides in the world) and Czech Republic. That's not exactly an easy group.

Renfrew_Hibby
23-11-2023, 03:51 PM

We could play them in Dortmund in the last 16 if they win group A and we come second in group C. So quite unlikely:greengrin

Gave Dortmund as an example. Would love to play them anywhere. We can get the Germans rooting for us (perhaps not if we actually play them) and really make an impression on the nation in this tournament.

LaMotta
23-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Gave Dortmund as an example. Would love to play them anywhere. We can get the Germans rooting for us (perhaps not if we actually play them) and really make an impression on the nation in this tournament.

You were pretty clear about it being Dortmund to be fair:greengrin

Understand your view, but I'd rather we avoided them, zero chance of getting tickets for the games for those not in Scotland supporters club.

PatHead
02-12-2023, 10:00 AM
Draw tonight live on the BBC.

Leithenhibby
02-12-2023, 01:26 PM
Draw tonight live on the BBC.

Looking forward to this one…

BBC2 17.15 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Keith_M
02-12-2023, 01:33 PM

I'd love if it was Munich, as I'd be guaranteed to get a ticket, but anywhere else I'd still go and hope for the best.

A Hi-Bee
02-12-2023, 02:25 PM
Anywhere in Germany will do, fantastic country.
Great beer and good people.
Scots will have a great time as long as they behave.
:agree:

Keith_M
02-12-2023, 06:33 PM
I'd love if it was Munich, as I'd be guaranteed to get a ticket, but anywhere else I'd still go and hope for the best.

It was obviously in the stars :greengrin

Joe6-2
02-12-2023, 06:47 PM
It was obviously in the stars :greengrin

Will you get a ticket? Opening game?

Keith_M
03-12-2023, 08:56 AM
Will you get a ticket? Opening game?

Yeah, from a mate I used to work with in Munich (at Giesecke & Devrient).

PatHead
07-12-2023, 10:44 AM
TV fixtures announced. Scotland v Germany on BBC. Other two matches on STV.

Beginning to feel real now.

andrew70
07-12-2023, 10:56 AM
TV fixtures announced. Scotland v Germany on BBC. Other two matches on STV.

Beginning to feel real now.

Other way around I think. Opener on STV the other two on BBC

Mcbizz1998
07-12-2023, 10:58 AM

Yeah you are correct, other way round. :agree:

PatHead
07-12-2023, 12:08 PM

Sorry my bad.