PDA

View Full Version : No budget for new players in January

thebausburst
16-11-2023, 06:50 AM
No budget to sign new players in the January window according to Monty, very dissapointing to say the least.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-nick-montgomery-lifts-lid-on-january-window-plans-but-admits-we-dont-have-a-budget-to-sign-players-4411637

Heisenberg
16-11-2023, 07:03 AM
Usual chat from a football manager. Nothing to panic about.

Iain G
16-11-2023, 07:13 AM

Nothing to see here, am sure they are making plans over trying to change and improve the squad to suit Monty's style.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2023, 07:13 AM
You hear the same thing every single year. There will be players in and out in January.

degenerated
16-11-2023, 07:14 AM
No budget to sign new players in the January window according to Monty, very dissapointing to say the least.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-nick-montgomery-lifts-lid-on-january-window-plans-but-admits-we-dont-have-a-budget-to-sign-players-4411637Even if that was true it shouldn't really come as a surprise given the transfer fees on Youann, Vente and Levitt in the summer.

BobbyT1875
16-11-2023, 07:15 AM

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-nick-montgomery-lifts-lid-on-january-window-plans-but-admits-we-dont-have-a-budget-to-sign-players-4411637

Ben K said at the press conference announcing Nick M as manager they would support new manager in January wiindow

Spike Mandela
16-11-2023, 07:23 AM
No new investment before next summer then?

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 07:43 AM

No problem with that. Squad is very good as it is. He's just not using it very well.

MagicSwirlingShip
16-11-2023, 07:51 AM

Probably best for our chances in the market if other teams think that

Since452
16-11-2023, 07:52 AM
No surprise. We've already spent close to 2 million this season. Where do people think the money is coming from? We'll see a couple of loans at most. He has a very good squad at his disposal as it is.

PatHead
16-11-2023, 08:34 AM
No surprise. We've already spent close to 2 million this season. Where do people think the money is coming from? We'll see a couple of loans at most. He has a very good squad at his disposal as it is.

Unless we move on/sell players like Melkerson,Hanlon,Doidge or one or two of the younger guys.

Also we did get a free for Nisbet and probably some add on for Doig being a first team regular.

HFC93
16-11-2023, 09:28 AM

He’s not going to say “aye, I’ll have loads to spend in January” and show his hand.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2023, 09:29 AM

A look at our bench in the last few weeks, and one sacked manager already, suggests our squad isn’t very good IMO.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Unless we move on/sell players like Melkerson,Hanlon,Doidge or one or two of the younger guys.

Also we did get a free for Nisbet and probably some add on for Doig being a first team regular.

I think Melkersen will be back and will get an opportunity in January.

HendoDelivered
16-11-2023, 09:34 AM
This will thread will be a panic merchants dream 🤣

Vini1875
16-11-2023, 10:01 AM
I think Melkersen will be back and will get an opportunity in January.

It will be interesting to see if NM can get a tune out of Melkersen. I don't think he is a bad player, but he doesn't seem to be up to SPFL level, a bit like Jair. If NM can get the guy to be the player he was against motherwell a couple of seasons ago, then we could really have something and if NM can turn players who are out in the wilderness into first team starters, then we would really have something in the manager.

Iain G
16-11-2023, 10:09 AM
It will be interesting to see if NM can get a tune out of Melkersen. I don't think he is a bad player, but he doesn't seem to be up to SPFL level, a bit like Jair. If NM can get the guy to be the player he was against motherwell a couple of seasons ago, then we could really have something and if NM can turn players who are out in the wilderness into first team starters, then we would really have something in the manager.

Henderson could even be an interesting option in the inverted winger position, drifting inside. He has the skills but never had the consistency.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 10:13 AM

Yes same message every year.

Steve20
16-11-2023, 10:22 AM
No problem with that. Squad is very good as it is. He's just not using it very well.

Take it this is sarcasm?

Squad is poor for a club that should be aiming for 3rd place.

Diclonius
16-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Nah.

Centre Hawf
16-11-2023, 10:56 AM
Why is this surprising anyone? We backed Lee Johnson heavily the last 3 windows and we've probably maxed out our wage budget bringing so many guys that are currently injured/on loan/not delivering.

Guys like Boyle, Youan, Vente, Levitt, McKirdy, Marshall won't be on pennies when we brought them in within the last 18 months. I imagine people like Wollacot and Obita from the summer aren't massively cheap either.

But then you look at folk like JDH, Harbottle, Jair (until recently wasn't even playing), Doidge, Kenneh, and Henderson. They will be taking a serious chunk of wage out our budget for not a lot, if any, impact on the field (even the ones on loan will be still be getting something from us I imagine.)

Will we be able to shift guys in January? It's a hard sell for people to take some of our deadweight and I would be surprised if people get the overhaul they're after before the summer.

wookie70
16-11-2023, 11:00 AM
Loan players returning may be like new signings

Trinity Hibee
16-11-2023, 11:04 AM

Given what’s happened with Jair, you could be right. Never rated any of them before but I said same about Jair.

Carheenlea
16-11-2023, 11:10 AM
Proper management chat.

I’ve never heard of a Hibs manager talking before about looking forward to spending a transfer window war chest. It’s not like we require a major overhaul and Id be expecting a couple of outs and ins under the direction of the new manager.

Greenbeard
16-11-2023, 11:20 AM
That's just Monty's reaction after reading some of the suggestions on the "January Can't Come Quick Enough" thread on here.

Hibrandenburg
16-11-2023, 11:28 AM
Who in their right mind would go into transfer fee/wage negotiations saying they've got loads of dosh?

Spudster
16-11-2023, 11:29 AM
What's the alternative? Publicly state we will be splashing the cash and watch the price of every transfer target soar because of it?

Kato
16-11-2023, 11:33 AM
Who in their right mind would go into transfer fee/wage negotiations saying they've got loads of dosh?When Brian McLaughlin quizzed NM re the "billionaire money" rumours a few weeks ago on Sportsound that's the type of headline he was hoping for. Luckily NM gave him short shrift.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Dmas
16-11-2023, 11:34 AM

Melkerson coming back and McKirdy returning will help, however I think it would require the sprinkling of the same dust he’s used for Jair as both haven’t shown enough for us up to now IMO

we’re still light though in wide areas we could improve in centre defence and I think we need a midfielder in that suits the style of play….also a GK but I think that will be a summer job that

WhileTheChief..
16-11-2023, 11:54 AM
No problem with this if it means we move on several of our existing players to make way for new, better ones.

The more the merrier really.

wookie70
16-11-2023, 11:57 AM
Melkerson coming back and McKirdy returning will help, however I think it would require the sprinkling of the same dust he’s used for Jair as both haven’t shown enough for us up to now IMO

we’re still light though in wide areas we could improve in centre defence and I think we need a midfielder in that suits the style of play….also a GK but I think that will be a summer job that Dan MacKay has played from wide positions and if he came back and improved like Jair then we have 4 wide players which is enough imo

Dmas
16-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Dan MacKay has played from wide positions and if he came back and improved like Jair then we have 4 wide players which is enough imo

Don’t think he’s setting the Heather on fire though is he 1 assist so far according to the loan round up the other day, I liked the look of Dan in the few preseason games he’s had for us, like how direct he is but it looks like he’s not going to make the grade here

hhibs
16-11-2023, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=wookie70;7511500]Dan MacKay has played from wide positions and if he came back and improved like Jair then we have 4 wide players which is enough imo[/QUOTE

Seems to have been getting regular game time at a struggling Livingston,anyone got any idea on his level of performance ?

patlowe
16-11-2023, 12:15 PM

Would say we have six very good players/prospects for where we want to be: Miller, Newell, Levitt, Youan, Boyle and Vente. Possibly Fish but he's not ours.

That's a pretty good proportion of the first 11 I guess but the rest of the squad are pretty much upgradeable IMO if there were moves to be made. Clearly there are a few guys in there that can contribute to a decent squad (eg ALF, Jeggo, Campbell, Obita, Doidge, Cadden) but they are possibly a bit limited in terms of what they offer/age etc. Then there are quite a few who are the legacy of nightmare windows past who are (nothing against them as individuals) holding us back until we can move them on.

I don't think Hearts and Aberdeen are awash with quality either btw, but my gut feeling is their general squad levels and options are a bit better. The other issue is that if you have a particular problem position relative to the others (which I think we have had the last two seasons) then it almost discounts the good work elsewhere.

cubehindthegoal
16-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Why is this surprising anyone? We backed Lee Johnson heavily the last 3 windows and we've probably maxed out our wage budget bringing so many guys that are currently injured/on loan/not delivering.

Guys like Boyle, Youan, Vente, Levitt, McKirdy, Marshall won't be on pennies when we brought them in within the last 18 months. I imagine people like Wollacot and Obita from the summer aren't massively cheap either.

But then you look at folk like JDH, Harbottle, Jair (until recently wasn't even playing), Doidge, Kenneh, and Henderson. They will be taking a serious chunk of wage out our budget for not a lot, if any, impact on the field (even the ones on loan will be still be getting something from us I imagine.)

Will we be able to shift guys in January? It's a hard sell for people to take some of our deadweight and I would be surprised if people get the overhaul they're after before the summer.

This … and I’ve no problem with that … the manager has other players out on loans and injured he needs to look at to see if he can make anything of them. I’d rather then ditch the deadwood before spending more, as I think he will get better quality players in to replace them more often than not. If that takes us to a better place a year from now, as I think it will, then I believe it’s worth the wait. We’ve had years of not getting it right, what’s one more for someone who could possibly be the best manager we’ve had in a long time.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-11-2023, 12:34 PM
Strange. He entered the press conference to Shane McMahon's theme song

Thinking about movement though, Isn't there a clause in Fish loan that he can be recalled? Worry that United bring him back and send to Championship as wasn't he linked there before returning in the summer?

Stubbsy90+2
16-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Strange. He entered the press conference to Shane McMahon's theme song

Thinking about movement though, Isn't there a clause in Fish loan that he can be recalled? Worry that United bring him back and send to Championship as wasn't he linked there before returning in the summer?

Fish has been decent this season but I don’t think he’s done enough to justify being taken back from us and put out to the Championship. If he went there I’d suspect he wouldn’t start which would seem a waste of time.

Centre Hawf
16-11-2023, 02:02 PM
Fish has been decent this season but I don’t think he’s done enough to justify being taken back from us and put out to the Championship. If he went there I’d suspect he wouldn’t start which would seem a waste of time.

I could see it happening to be honest. They might have felt he's maybe stalled/stagnated and if someone like QPR or Huddersfield were planning on playing him I think they'd send him there instead for 6 months. Doing well down there as opposed to just existing here is the difference in someone paying £2m for him.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Would say we have six very good players/prospects for where we want to be: Miller, Newell, Levitt, Youan, Boyle and Vente. Possibly Fish but he's not ours.

That's a pretty good proportion of the first 11 I guess but the rest of the squad are pretty much upgradeable IMO if there were moves to be made. Clearly there are a few guys in there that can contribute to a decent squad (eg ALF, Jeggo, Campbell, Obita, Doidge, Cadden) but they are possibly a bit limited in terms of what they offer/age etc. Then there are quite a few who are the legacy of nightmare windows past who are (nothing against them as individuals) holding us back until we can move them on.

I don't think Hearts and Aberdeen are awash with quality either btw, but my gut feeling is their general squad levels and options are a bit better. The other issue is that if you have a particular problem position relative to the others (which I think we have had the last two seasons) then it almost discounts the good work elsewhere.

Fish will be in our squad post Jan so he counts. I'd add Jeggo and Obita to that as well. He and even Rocky have been excellent recently.

If we compare them to Hearts and the Sheep, when do we or they have that many very good players?

For backup, no one has top-quality cover for their 1st choice, not even the uglies. We have good players for every position except for goalkeeper. Cadden, Hanlon, Lewis, JDH, Campbell, Le Fondre, Doidge, ALF. Even Jair has come onto a game.

Tyler Durden
16-11-2023, 02:18 PM

Agreed. I think he's miles off Championship level at the moment. Would need to perform for another 18 months here first. He's not been good enough this season for whatever reason.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2023, 02:38 PM
Agreed. I think he's miles off Championship level at the moment. Would need to perform for another 18 months here first. He's not been good enough this season for whatever reason.

I thought he started really poorly but has been better lately. There seems to be no middle ground with us defensively, it’s a clean sheet or a bit of a collective disaster with not much in between.

wookie70
16-11-2023, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=wookie70;7511500]Dan MacKay has played from wide positions and if he came back and improved like Jair then we have 4 wide players which is enough imo[/QUOTE

Seems to have been getting regular game time at a struggling Livingston,anyone got any idea on his level of performance ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cp64d19yd7ro

Not seen much of him but he has been playing and that is more than can be said for Jair up to a few weeks back. Jair now definitely a first team player and at the moment fully justifying being in the starting 11. For me there is every reason to think Melkerson and MacKay could be similar especially playing two up top

TrinityHFC
16-11-2023, 03:40 PM
We have to remember that injured players don't disappear, we still need to pay them, so we can't just keep adding when players aren't available.

If we have Cadden, JDH, ALF, Doidge and McKirdy fit our options and bench look much better.

We still have the option of bringing Melkersen and Henderson back I think too.

If we can move on any of those players and replace them with better then great but think that will be tricky in January.

There's also Kenneh, Tait and Mackay. I doubt we will see them play again for us but moving them out would be useful - again, can't see that being arranged in January.

On Jair and Mackay. I don't really think Jair has turned anything around as such form wise, he just wasn't being selected - so we don't really know if anyone has improved him as a player. He has hardly played any football for anyone up until now. Mackay has about 100 first team appearances for various teams - I just don't see him being brought back and improved.

Springbank
16-11-2023, 06:44 PM

Ohhhhhh that's a hot take

Do you think Levitt & Newell is a balanced midfield

Or that having Landers as our main striker if Vente's out gives the manager good cover?

Rocky & Fish at CB never fully inspires

And wide, you'd surely have to credit the manager for the dramatic improvement in Jair's form?

I'd say the spine is pretty imbalanced, if I was asked

flash
16-11-2023, 07:17 PM

Or that having Landers as our main striker if Vente's out gives the manager good cover?

And wide, you'd surely have to credit the manager for the dramatic improvement in Jair's form?

You will find its almost always people who don't like the manager who say the squad is good when it clearly isn't.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 07:58 PM

Absolutely not. Jeggo, Levitt and Newall is in a 3. Campbell and JDH more than decent back up.

We have 3 centre forwards. Vente, Doidge, Alf and 2 players that can, Youan and Boyle. Plenty cover.

I’d not only credit him with Jair’s return but I’d credit him with Marshall’s, Jeggo’s and Rocky’s.

Ringothedog
16-11-2023, 08:15 PM

😂really , you genuinely think that is the case. Wow!!

Brightside
16-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Absolutely not. Jeggo, Levitt and Newall is in a 3. Campbell and JDH more than decent back up.

We have 3 centre forwards. Vente, Doidge, Alf and 2 players that can, Youan and Boyle. Plenty cover.

I’d not only credit him with Jair’s return but I’d credit him with Marshall’s, Jeggo’s and Rocky’s.

We are not going to have 3 man midfield. That’s obvious. Newell and Levitt should be our 2 in most games.

Since452
16-11-2023, 08:22 PM

The last three games he's had Doidge, then Boyle, then Youan on the bench. He's plucked Landers out of nowhere but he's not our main striker if Vente is injured.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 08:31 PM
We are not going to have 3 man midfield. That’s obvious. Newell and Levitt should be our 2 in most games.

I get that, but you’re unlikely to be balanced in a 2. Defensively, Levitt is poor and he isn’t particularly athletic, which is going to be a big problem when up against a 3 each week.

GreenArmy1875
16-11-2023, 08:34 PM
If a manager comes out and says we have a big budget then that automatically puts the players that they are chasings value up.

TrinityHFC
16-11-2023, 08:58 PM

We play two central strikers. In terms of our overall squad we have ALF, Doidge, Campbell, Boyle, Youan, McKirdy and Melkersen who can play there. Not really just Landers.

NM is choosing to play two central midfield players. Again between Newell, Jeggo, Levitt, Campbell and JDH there is opportunity for balance.

Don’t think there’s much wrong with Fish and Rocky but if we can get better I’m all for that.

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2023, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't actually say our two CBs have never fully inspired tbh , Rocky been improving steadily since joining us and has been excellent recently , Fish is a good CB at our level too .

We probably need a few players to improve the team but by and large we have a decent squad that's no worse than anyone else's outside the old firm.

Smartie
16-11-2023, 09:30 PM
Tin hat on - if he’s to persist with 442, I don’t think Newell, Jeggo, Levitt, Boyle or Youan really fit it.

I agree with those who say the 433 is a better fit for our current players but I’d like to see it only to see it fail the way most of our other formations have failed, with an ultimately imbalanced midfield, an isolated striker, fullbacks who aren’t good enough and us struggling to get our wingers to impact games.

Who or what do we blame then?

I don’t think the squad’s good enough. It’s why we got some decent European results and performances but bombed in the league under Johnson and it’s why Montgomery is getting criticism for his subs and for throwing away leads late in games when legs are tired and he’s got f all on the bench.

We’ve actually done quite well in January in the past and it’s not such a lost cause that 3 or 4 smart loan signings wouldn’t make a world of difference.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 09:34 PM
I get that, but you’re unlikely to be balanced in a 2. Defensively, Levitt is poor and he isn’t particularly athletic, which is going to be a big problem when up against a 3 each week.

Wasn’t a problem against Aberdeen St Mirren or Killie

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:37 PM
Tin hat on - if he’s to persist with 442, I don’t think Newell, Jeggo, Levitt, Boyle or Youan really fit it.

I agree with those who say the 433 is a better fit for our current players but I’d like to see it only to see it fail the way most of our other formations have failed, with an ultimately imbalanced midfield, an isolated striker, fullbacks who aren’t good enough and us struggling to get our wingers to impact games.

I’d agree with Boyle and Youan. They’re attackers and playing them as deep as he does causes us problems defensively and limits their effectiveness in attack.

As for the midfield 2, I can see where you’re coming from. To play in a 2, you need legs, and I think Jeggo and Newall have them but the problem we have with them in there is we have very little creativity from the middle of the park.

Levitt gives us that but if we play him, he hasn’t got a great engine and defensively he’s no where near switched on enough.

truehibernian
16-11-2023, 09:42 PM
Smoke and mirrors from NM - it’ll be a good January window.

B.H.F.C
16-11-2023, 10:06 PM

I don’t think the squad’s good enough. It’s why we got some decent European results and performances but bombed in the league under Johnson and it’s why Montgomery is getting criticism for his subs and for throwing away leads late in games when legs are tired and he’s got f all on the bench.

We’ve actually done quite well in January in the past and it’s not such a lost cause that 3 or 4 smart loan signings wouldn’t make a world of difference.

Of the players you list I think there is a place for Youan, Levitt and Newell in particular. Read a lot about the shape limiting Youan but I don’t see it. He’s scored 5 goals when playing wide in a 4 this season which isn’t bad considering he only got 9 in all of last season. Couple of assists as well. Newell and Levitt are good enough players to make it work, they have in the main on the few occasions they’ve played together as a 2.

Jeggo is what he is. I think he’s done all right. He’ll mainly do all right.

Boyle is the interesting one. I think with him it’s less to do with any shape and that he may just be declining slightly. He’ll still contribute plenty but he was at his absolute peak in the 18 months leading up to his move. We’re a couple of years down the line, another bad injury and he’ll be 31 before the season is done. I’m not saying he’s finished, far from it, but I don’t think we’ll get quite the contribution we did in that period.

WeeRussell
16-11-2023, 10:34 PM
Of the players you list I think there is a place for Youan, Levitt and Newell in particular. Read a lot about the shape limiting Youan but I don’t see it. He’s scored 5 goals when playing wide in a 4 this season which isn’t bad considering he only got 9 in all of last season. Couple of assists as well. Newell and Levitt are good enough players to make it work, they have in the main on the few occasions they’ve played together as a 2.

Jeggo is what he is. I think he’s done all right. He’ll mainly do all right.

Boyle is the interesting one. I think with him it’s less to do with any shape and that he may just be declining slightly. He’ll still contribute plenty but he was at his absolute peak in the 18 months leading up to his move. We’re a couple of years down the line, another bad injury and he’ll be 31 before the season is done. I’m not saying he’s finished, far from it, but I don’t think we’ll get quite the contribution we did in that period.

Largely agree although I’m not sure that Boyle isn’t just the same Boyle. Even at his very best he, like a lot of players, could go on runs of games without seemingly making huge contributions but is always capable of those bursts from nowhere and game winning moments, like we’ve seen the last couple of weeks (mostly without actually going on to win the game unfortunately!)

I wonder also if he stood-out more previously playing in a team devoid of much pace elsewhere. We’ve now got a lot more pace about our team thankfully.

Boyle has improved as a player immensely during his time with us, but it’s still his pace that makes him. Once that really goes is when I think we’ll see him properly decline. In fact, take two yards of pace off him and I don’t think he’d play for hibs.

Thankfully, I think we’ve got plenty pace and goals to go with the wee man yet.

Forza Fred
17-11-2023, 04:43 AM
Classic Expectation Management?

Libby Hibby
17-11-2023, 05:44 AM
Did Jeggo get the problem with his wife’s VISA sorted? If not, perhaps he’ll be away in Jan

Trinity Hibee
17-11-2023, 07:09 AM
Strømsgodset are keen on a permanent move for Elias Melkersen, but Nick Montgomery has plans for the striker at Hibs - “I think he was probably thrown in at the deep end when he wasn’t quite ready.”

JohnM1875
17-11-2023, 07:21 AM
Strømsgodset are keen on a permanent move for Elias Melkersen, but Nick Montgomery has plans for the striker at Hibs - “I think he was probably thrown in at the deep end when he wasn’t quite ready.”

Pleased with that. Definitely a player there and hope he makes it at us.

Itsnoteasy
17-11-2023, 07:28 AM

🤔

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 08:04 AM
I’d agree with Boyle and Youan. They’re attackers and playing them as deep as he does causes us problems defensively and limits their effectiveness in attack.

As for the midfield 2, I can see where you’re coming from. To play in a 2, you need legs, and I think Jeggo and Newall have them but the problem we have with them in there is we have very little creativity from the middle of the park.

Levitt gives us that but if we play him, he hasn’t got a great engine and defensively he’s no where near switched on enough.

The summary of Levitt, is that really the case?

I haven’t seen any lack of work rate from him. He’s asked to do a lot of running just by virtue of our set up and for me he does that just fine. He’s only played eight games for us in the league, in a season where he has recovered from a nasty injury early on.

I’ll give him more games before I start arriving at conclusions around his defensive abilities or athleticism.

offshorehibby
17-11-2023, 08:37 AM
Dan MacKay been mentioned a few times above saying he playing all the time. He's played 7 games this season 3 of those games for 1 minuet.

Brightside
17-11-2023, 08:39 AM
Dan MacKay been mentioned a few times above saying he playing all the time. He's played 7 games this season 3 of those games for 1 minuet.

Yeh he will be away if we can get a buyer.

BobbyT1875
17-11-2023, 08:39 AM

I haven’t seen any lack of work rate from him. He’s asked to do a lot of running just by virtue of our set up and for me he does that just fine. He’s only played eight games for us in the league, in a season where he has recovered from a nasty injury early on.

I’ll give him more games before I start arriving at conclusions around his defensive abilities or athleticism.

It is crystal clear the games he’s been involved, can’t run . Blowing out his back side . You don’t need games to see this. Sitting in the stands it’s crystal clear

Brightside
17-11-2023, 08:40 AM

Spot on. Excellent footballer. Still not 100% fit.

Fergus52
17-11-2023, 08:56 AM

I agree that we need improvements but think you've being a bit harsh there.

Landers is only back up because Doidge, Alf, McKirdy are all injured just now. Even playing 442 you can't expect the squad to have more than 4 senior strikers.

I also think Newell and Levitt are about as balanced a pairing as we can hope for at this level - both have extremely good ball control, passing, technique, Newell also covers a lot of ground and wins a lot of tackles, and Levitt is a threat with long range shooting and a bit more press resistant in tight spaces imo. The only thing missing from them as a pair is that they're both pretty slow. If we ever need a bit more solidity to protect a lead then Jeggo can come in.

Brightside
17-11-2023, 09:00 AM
It is crystal clear the games he’s been involved, can’t run . Blowing out his back side . You don’t need games to see this. Sitting in the stands it’s crystal clear

He can't run? Your crystal clear is very different to mine then. He certainly doesn't run all over the pitch - thats not his job. We need a strong number 8 to do that so he can be our main pivot.

Centre Hawf
17-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Yeh he will be away if we can get a buyer.

He's out of contract at the end of this season, I imagine he'll be out on loan until then and leave for free.

BobbyT1875
17-11-2023, 09:03 AM
He can't run? Your crystal clear is very different to mine then. He certainly doesn't run all over the pitch - thats not his job. We need a strong number 8 to do that so he can be our main pivot.

Ok you sound like an experienced football coach… pivot.. number 8

Centre Hawf
17-11-2023, 09:06 AM

That's encouraging news at least and gives us an option.

The Norwegian transfer window closes at the end of March (the equivalent of their summer window), so we have time to potentially get a proper look at Elias for 10 or so games upon his return before deciding if it's best to let him go back for a bit of cash to recoup some of what we spent.

Brightside
17-11-2023, 09:18 AM

Thanks. Here to help any time. :wink:

WeeRussell
17-11-2023, 09:27 AM

Exactly.

number9dream
17-11-2023, 09:28 AM
He's out of contract at the end of this season, I imagine he'll be out on loan until then and leave for free.

Unless Livi trigger option to buy, Mackay is with us until summer 2025, along with Tait, Doyle-Hayes, McKirdy, Henderson, Kenneh & McClelland.

Allant1981
17-11-2023, 09:34 AM
Unless Livi trigger option to buy, Mackay is with us until summer 2025, along with Tait, Doyle-Hayes, McKirdy, Henderson, Kenneh & McClelland.

Yip it was a 4 year deal I'm sure when mackay signed

Donegal Hibby
17-11-2023, 09:36 AM
I think melkersen is a player Monty will like and improve . Definitely think there's a player there .
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/nick-montgomery-set-hibs-striker-28121859

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 09:38 AM

Technically speaking they might be but there are other clubs aside from Livi. I'm sure Hibs will find a way to facilitate the mutually beneficial departure of anyone they want off the books. Most footballers want to play football, especially guys in their early-mid 20's. It might cost, but there's no reason why all can't/won't depart before their contracts expire.

Brightside
17-11-2023, 09:48 AM

I can see us certainly trying to move on Tait and Mackay. Henderson doesn't really fit in our system so he's another that will get offered options to leave. Kenneh is doing very well down south but again think Levitt has that 6 role moving forward.
Doyle Hayes will remain a good squad option for us if they can ever properly fix his ankle. (Thanks Lee Johnson!)

Centre Hawf
17-11-2023, 09:50 AM

Apologies I remember the chat when he left that this was his last year at the club but it seems he did sign a 4 year deal as you say.

Smartie
17-11-2023, 10:08 AM

We’ve lost a couple of big goals already where Levitt didn’t exactly cover himself with glory defensively (winner at home vs St Mirren and semi vs Aberdeen). If we’re only going to play 2 central midfielders it’s hard to stomach that sort of thing from one of them.

We’ve had midfielders in the past who were “imperfect defensively” (Latapy and Scott Allan for starters) who you would build a team around rather than omit due to defensive frailty / work rate issues. Levitt looks the same - unlikely to be capable of doing all that’s expected of him in a Monty team but absolutely 100% not a player we want to be getting rid of or not playing.

He’s a bit of an enigma tbh, more so following his time at United which was both successful and disastrous.

BobbyT1875
17-11-2023, 10:22 AM

WeeRussell
17-11-2023, 10:34 AM

Didn’t you already say that?

Brightside
17-11-2023, 10:40 AM

Good to drive it home though. I wish others were like him. :greengrin

WeeRussell
17-11-2023, 10:42 AM
Good to drive it home though. I wish others were like him. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 11:18 AM
We’ve lost a couple of big goals already where Levitt didn’t exactly cover himself with glory defensively (winner at home vs St Mirren and semi vs Aberdeen). If we’re only going to play 2 central midfielders it’s hard to stomach that sort of thing from one of them.

We’ve had midfielders in the past who were “imperfect defensively” (Latapy and Scott Allan for starters) who you would build a team around rather than omit due to defensive frailty / work rate issues. Levitt looks the same - unlikely to be capable of doing all that’s expected of him in a Monty team but absolutely 100% not a player we want to be getting rid of or not playing.

He’s a bit of an enigma tbh, more so following his time at United which was both successful and disastrous.

When we micro analyse goals conceded I suspect we can find flaws in every Hibs player. The St Mirren goal, I can't recall, but the Aberdeen one, there was a chain of culpability involving four players.

With regard to United, he was part of a poor side, one that got relegated. I don't really know how he performed, beyond the basic facts of 11 goals in 62 games (according to Wiki).

Where Hibs will find a player capable of doing everything in a Monty midfield, playing as part of a two man central midfield is a tough ask for any player? We could probably have Callum McGregor in there and he'd still be exposed.

Jury's out on Levitt for me. He needs more games and so does the team in order to adapt to NM's preferred system. Players like Youan and Miller have been dropped, for no doubt not fulfilling what's expected from them.

CapitalGreen
17-11-2023, 11:31 AM
When we micro analyse goals conceded I suspect we can find flaws in every Hibs player. The St Mirren goal, I can't recall, but the Aberdeen one, there was a chain of culpability involving four players.

With regard to United, he was part of a poor side, one that got relegated. I don't really know how he performed, beyond the basic facts of 11 goals in 62 games (according to Wiki).

Where Hibs will find a player capable of doing everything in a Monty midfield, playing as part of a two man central midfield is a tough ask for any player? We could probably have Callum McGregor in there and he'd still be exposed.

Jury's out on Levitt for me. He needs more games and so does the team in order to adapt to NM's preferred system. Players like Youan and Miller have been dropped, for no doubt not fulfilling what's expected from them.

He was also part of a United side that finished 4th, 4 places above us on their first season following promotion. He lost his manager (Courts) and midfielder partner (Fuchs), neither of whom were adequately replaced.

Centre Hawf
17-11-2023, 11:32 AM

I still find the criticism for him on the Aberdeen goal quite harsh. The guys clearly not the quickest player on the park and had no chance of catching Miovski in that scenario, especially after playing 75 minutes.

Greenio
17-11-2023, 11:35 AM
I can't see Melk coming back. He's done well in a new setting, doubt he'll want to give that up

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2023, 11:35 AM

Well if he's dancing instead of playing football, let him go asap.:wink:

Brightside
17-11-2023, 11:43 AM
I can't see Melk coming back. He's done well in a new setting, doubt he'll want to give that up

He wont have a say in it.

Smartie
17-11-2023, 12:07 PM
I still find the criticism for him on the Aberdeen goal quite harsh. The guys clearly not the quickest player on the park and had no chance of catching Miovski in that scenario, especially after playing 75 minutes.

I find it the opposite tbh, he’s had a fairly easy ride.

As the last man, moving towards the end of an important game his efforts were lamentable.

If he can’t do better than that then he shouldn’t be in the vicinity. Stick him up the park where we won’t get caught out to our cost or hook him.

I like his passing and we’ve been needing that but central midfielders need to be more rounded players and I could see him being exploited regularly.

Or, used properly, establishing himself as one of our most effective players.

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 12:13 PM
I find it the opposite tbh, he’s had a fairly easy ride.

As the last man, moving towards the end of an important game his efforts were lamentable.

If he can’t do better than that then he shouldn’t be in the vicinity. Stick him up the park where we won’t get caught out to our cost or hook him.

I like his passing and we’ve been needing that but central midfielders need to be more rounded players and I could see him being exploited regularly.

Or, used properly, establishing himself as one of our most effective players.

How could he be used properly?

Who within the boundaries of reality would you consider a player that is more rounded and could do better than Levitt within the current formation?

I think your critique of his role in that goal is way way too harsh, but interested in your other points.

Smartie
17-11-2023, 12:20 PM

Who within the boundaries of reality would you consider a player that is more rounded and could do better than Levitt within the current formation?

I think your critique of his role in that goal is way way too harsh, but interested in your other points.

I see him as a Scott Allan / Latapy type. Almost a free role, float around the midfield. Get a proper, solid base (such as Newell and Jeggo) and allow him to float where her likes (ideally not too deep that he gets in the way of those 2) and play passes in to a striker who plays on the shoulder (Vente) and the wide players (Boyle, Youan, Jair, maybe Cadden).

Every midfielder sees himself as that deep playing almost QB like midfielder who dictates play but many of them just don't have what it takes. Stevie Mallan didn't have the legs for it but we tried our best to get him to do it. Levitt as one of the 2 in a 442 or one of the 2 deeper midfielders will be hung out to dry by the better and more streetwise teams in our league who know he seems to have a weakness, either in the legs or in the head.

Our current formation is a bit mad, and I'm getting my head around it. I suspect it requires a very rounded game and bags of energy. McGinn and Fyvie might have managed it, that sort of thing where you've got players who can both snap into tackles, drive us up the park and pass the ball. I'd take a bit of convincing that any of our current midfielders have what it takes to do justice to a 442 tbh but I think it's maybe a formation that is only really possible to do justice to when you have special players like McGinn who don't exactly grow on trees.

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 12:44 PM
I see him as a Scott Allan / Latapy type. Almost a free role, float around the midfield. Get a proper, solid base (such as Newell and Jeggo) and allow him to float where her likes (ideally not too deep that he gets in the way of those 2) and play passes in to a striker who plays on the shoulder (Vente) and the wide players (Boyle, Youan, Jair, maybe Cadden).

Every midfielder sees himself as that deep playing almost QB like midfielder who dictates play but many of them just don't have what it takes. Stevie Mallan didn't have the legs for it but we tried our best to get him to do it. Levitt as one of the 2 in a 442 or one of the 2 deeper midfielders will be hung out to dry by the better and more streetwise teams in our league who know he seems to have a weakness, either in the legs or in the head.

Our current formation is a bit mad, and I'm getting my head around it. I suspect it requires a very rounded game and bags of energy. McGinn and Fyvie might have managed it, that sort of thing where you've got players who can both snap into tackles, drive us up the park and pass the ball. I'd take a bit of convincing that any of our current midfielders have what it takes to do justice to a 442 tbh but I think it's maybe a formation that is only really possible to do justice to when you have special players like McGinn who don't exactly grow on trees.

Fair enough.

I too have reservations around the two man central midfield, but apparently Montgomery will not be moved on it. I suppose his managerial tenure will rest or fall on his convictions in that case.

In the current set up, I would continue with Levitt. There are no obvious alternatives, aside from Jeggo, a player I don't see as being anything like capable of doing that job.

I still think Levitt will continue to improve though, his overall match fitness and integration into the team has been hindered by injury. Hopefully, he has more to offer in coming weeks.

Winston Ingram
17-11-2023, 12:45 PM

I think this is the point he's making and is spot on. In a 2 he's a huge gamble as the role requires so much more work.

He doesn't get round the pitch well, he lets runners go, he doesn't anticipate trouble the way someone like Jeggo does.

On the flip side Jeggo doesn't have Levitt's passing ability. When we're playing a 2, we have to sacrifice something.

Greenio
17-11-2023, 12:57 PM
He wont have a say in it.

Technically perhaps. Reality is, at this level, you don't really get players ending up forced to be somewhere they dont want to be, doesnt work out for either parties.

I could be wrong, but id be surprised if we ever see him in a Hibs shirt again

BobbyT1875
17-11-2023, 12:59 PM
I think this is the point he's making and is spot on. In a 2 he's a huge gamble as the role requires so much more work.

He doesn't get round the pitch well, he lets runners go, he doesn't anticipate trouble the way someone like Jeggo does.

On the flip side Jeggo doesn't have Levitt's passing ability. When we're playing a 2, we have to sacrifice something.
Excellent post . Modern fitba is created one dimensional players . Oh lm a sitter or a ten or an 8 ( whatever that maybe ). You hear wee laddies talking like this . In a two you got to get up and down the park, get in peoples faces and when you have it pass to a green jersey .

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 01:17 PM

I don't necessarily accept any lack of mobility or that he let's runners go, based on a goal where there was culpability from others.

I think any player will be exposed in a midfield two like we play at the moment, no matter who they are. It's surely inherent in that system that you accept you will be exposed at times? That's why I also asked who else might fill that role better.

Brightside
17-11-2023, 01:33 PM
Technically perhaps. Reality is, at this level, you don't really get players ending up forced to be somewhere they dont want to be, doesnt work out for either parties.

I could be wrong, but id be surprised if we ever see him in a Hibs shirt again

He is under contract and only on loan. He wont be forced into anything. He will just be on his way back as soon as the loan finishes

Brightside
17-11-2023, 01:35 PM
I don't necessarily accept any lack of mobility or that he let's runners go, based on a goal where there was culpability from others.

I think any player will be exposed in a midfield two like we play at the moment, no matter who they are. It's surely inherent in that system that you accept you will be exposed at times? That's why I also asked who else might fill that role better.

The only time the 2 get exposed is when the LM and RM don't do their job properly. Interestingly Jair has actually done this part of the job better than Boyle and Ellie in the last few weeks.

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 01:44 PM
The only time the 2 get exposed is when the LM and RM don't do their job properly. Interestingly Jair has actually done this part of the job better than Boyle and Ellie in the last few weeks.

Not often we agree, but I'm mostly with you on this one :greengrin

Ronniekirk
17-11-2023, 02:11 PM
I think he deserves one more opportunity to see if he can adapt to playing well on grass and in a way Monty would want him to play But if new manager doesn’t fancy him then we would be able to get a fee for him based on current form
Mckirdy has still to come back as well Do we need them both ?

wookie70
17-11-2023, 02:40 PM
I think he deserves one more opportunity to see if he can adapt to playing well on grass and in a way Monty would want him to play But if new manager doesn’t fancy him then we would be able to get a fee for him based on current form
Mckirdy has still to come back as well Do we need them both ?

It would be nice to see how he does playing centrally as part of a pair. Not sure we have had much chance to judge him in those circumstances and he certainly looked more able than Jair did initially. I doubt it is an accurate way of looking at loanees but I am using Jair's brilliant progress under NM as an indicator for other players. There is hope for them all at this stage

Brightside
17-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Not often we agree, but I'm mostly with you on this one :greengrin

There is a great peice in the hibs observer. Someone was arguing with me previously about wingers not tucking in. For me it’s clear as day. The whole 2v3 thing shouldn’t actually happen with the way we play when we are out of possession.

superfurryhibby
17-11-2023, 03:42 PM
There is a great peice in the hibs observer. Someone was arguing with me previously about wingers not tucking in. For me it’s clear as day. The whole 2v3 thing shouldn’t actually happen with the way we play when we are out of possession.

I suppose players need to learn how to adapt to different systems, some may learn faster than others. If they don't conform, the message will be that you're getting dropped and we'll play someone who can. It's a high risk strategy, but Montgomery has his convictions and he is the man who will carry the can if it doesn't work.

I, like many, am not particularly analytical or tactically aware, I tend to react to what I see and probably don't always grasp the bigger picture.

I do see where you're coming from with this though.

I also suppose that players like YOuan and Boyle offer a great deal offensively, compared to say the likes of Cadden, who will probably offer much more in terms of the defensive side of things when he starts playing again. There are fine balances and matches often hinge on smart decision making as much as flashes of individual brilliance. If a player is wilfully not doing what they're asked to do, then there should only be one winner in that debate.

Winston Ingram
17-11-2023, 04:56 PM

I’m not just basing it on that goal. Just watching his movement defending. He tends to literally just stop and watch. He was ball watching for the Escalades opener away. His attempts to stop the cross for the cross for St Mirren’s winner on the opening day was hopeless

As for someone who would do it better. The answer is I don’t know, as no one decent plays 2 in midfield anymore to benchmark it.

The only player I’ve seen do it well in a 2 is Bentancur at Spurs pre injury last season. Spurs season collapsed after that.

JimBHibees
18-11-2023, 08:53 AM

Never really looked back in depth at Aberdeen goal however it seemed odd he was so deep at that point eg a Hibs corner. Would have expected two quick players to be there though given it was our corner I think they wouldn't have had a player to mark as such especially at a man down. No way he was able to match Miovski in a race though. Geuninely depressingly appalling goal to lose against ten men.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2023, 12:18 PM

He's coming back according to NM.

“I’ve spoken to Elias and watched his games and he looks like a very, very good young player. He’s a player who I know had a tough start at Hibs - I think he was probably thrown in at the deep end when he wasn’t quite ready, but I think the way that we play, with two strikers, he’ll definitely be an asset for us moving forward.

“He’s having a good loan spell at the minute, he’s scoring goals, so it’ll be nice to see him when he comes back.”

Centre Hawf
18-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Never really looked back in depth at Aberdeen goal however it seemed odd he was so deep at that point eg a Hibs corner. Would have expected two quick players to be there though given it was our corner I think they wouldn't have had a player to mark as such especially at a man down. No way he was able to match Miovski in a race though. Geuninely depressingly appalling goal to lose against ten men.

I think that's where I am with it. It was a poor goal overall to lose through decisions made on the park at the time or general set up for our own set piece against 10 men for me as opposed to Levitt not doing enough in general.

Northernhibee
18-11-2023, 06:25 PM
He's coming back according to NM.

“I’ve spoken to Elias and watched his games and he looks like a very, very good young player. He’s a player who I know had a tough start at Hibs - I think he was probably thrown in at the deep end when he wasn’t quite ready, but I think the way that we play, with two strikers, he’ll definitely be an asset for us moving forward.

“He’s having a good loan spell at the minute, he’s scoring goals, so it’ll be nice to see him when he comes back.”
I’ll be honest, I don’t think he’s at all suited to the physicality of Scottish football however Jair also looked down and out at the club. If anyone’s going to get the best out of him, it’d be Monty.

I still think if a decent offer comes in for him I’d take it. If he were to come back and still look out of his depth then we’d be lucky to get anything for him going forward. His values probably at the highest since we first signed him just now. It’s a big risk for both parties for him to come back to us if there’s solid interest elsewhere.

MagicSwirlingShip
18-11-2023, 06:36 PM
He was wasted in his previous spell by managers who either played him on his own upfront or tried to turn him into a wide forward.

I think he would do well in a front two, or at least have a better chance of success

truehibernian
18-11-2023, 07:40 PM
Melkerson training with the experience and game savvy of a player like ALF will do him wonders. Very similar players in the sense they can drop deeper, drift wide, draw players in, and link up play - and score a few. A bit like Jair, came here very young, naive, totally different football environment, and no doubt missing some of the things from his homeland.

Like many players, Johnson hung him out to dry and it’s patently obvious his confidence plummeted. I think we’ll see a totally different player under NM 👍

JimBHibees
19-11-2023, 08:41 AM
Melkerson training with the experience and game savvy of a player like ALF will do him wonders. Very similar players in the sense they can drop deeper, drift wide, draw players in, and link up play - and score a few. A bit like Jair, came here very young, naive, totally different football environment, and no doubt missing some of the things from his homeland.

Like many players, Johnson hung him out to dry and it’s patently obvious his confidence plummeted. I think we’ll see a totally different player under NM 👍

Good point. Alf will be a great mentor for any young striker at the club.

Since452
20-11-2023, 02:54 PM
I’ll be honest, I don’t think he’s at all suited to the physicality of Scottish football however Jair also looked down and out at the club. If anyone’s going to get the best out of him, it’d be Monty.

I still think if a decent offer comes in for him I’d take it. If he were to come back and still look out of his depth then we’d be lucky to get anything for him going forward. His values probably at the highest since we first signed him just now. It’s a big risk for both parties for him to come back to us if there’s solid interest elsewhere.

Not sure about that. Maloney who had good experience coaching young players couldn't. Either could LJ with 500 games in management. Not sure what Montgomery has that those two don't. I hope it works out for him but just can't see it.

WeeRussell
20-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Not sure about that. Maloney who had good experience coaching young players couldn't. Either could LJ with 500 games in management. Not sure what Montgomery has that those two don't. I hope it works out for him but just can't see it.

I thought Melkerson was one that shown something in a poor team under Maloney. Should’ve played more when we were persisting with Doidge at a time when he wasn’t able to offer anything at all.

Lee Johnson tried to play him out wide, from the bench, a few times then got rid

Almost every poster on here will say they seen more from Melkerson than they did from Tavares until about 3 weeks ago - can you still not see how Monty might manage to get Melks to play well for us?

Tyler Durden
20-11-2023, 03:09 PM

Maloney only had him fit for about 2/3 months during a period where we were awful, played one forward and barely mustered a shot on target for several games.

Lee Johnson played a system with one forward and it's since become clear he didn't even take the training half the time. He also openly wrote off other young talented players.

Lots of signs that Montgomery can do better. Firstly with his attitude and secondly the fact he actually wants to use 2 or 3 central strikers in every game (including subs).