PDA

View Full Version : Boyler out of Game in Melbourne.

Forza Fred
15-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Apparently after discussions between Graham Arnold and Nick Montgomery, Martin didn’t travel to Melbourne and won’t play in the World Cup qualifier on Thursday against Bangladesh.

He will fly to Kuwait though for the qualifier against Palestine, and it is expected he will be fully fit to play in that one next week.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Hibs didn’t want him on the long flight to Oz, and Arnie accepted the club’s wishes

MelbourneHibees
15-11-2023, 12:54 PM
If he isn't ready for the first game he shouldn't be risked for the 2nd.

Forza Fred
15-11-2023, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=MelbourneHibees;7511102]If he isn't ready for the first game he shouldn't be risked for the 2nd.[/QUOTE

I’ll bow to your superior medical knowledge of the situation.

JimBHibees
15-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Apparently after discussions between Graham Arnold and Nick Montgomery, Martin didn’t travel to Melbourne and won’t play in the World Cup qualifier on Thursday against Bangladesh.

He will fly to Kuwait though for the qualifier against Palestine, and it is expected he will be fully fit to play in that one next week.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Hibs didn’t want him on the long flight to Oz, and Arnie accepted the club’s wishes

Seems sensible

Donegal Hibby
15-11-2023, 02:00 PM
Good to see Hibs and Australia working well together on the players welfare . I'd trust both Hibs and the Australian medical team to make the right call on the 2nd game and if they deem him fit he should play , he'd want too !.

The Veteran
15-11-2023, 02:59 PM
That's good news that he's out of the first game, and bad news that he's playing in the second one.

Both are in my more than humble opinion, of course. :aok:

worcesterhibby
15-11-2023, 03:43 PM
He'll get dogs abuse from Celtic fans if hs scores against Palestine !

jacomo
15-11-2023, 05:09 PM

That could be quite a charged atmosphere no?

Australian government is publicly behind Israel but there are frequent protests on the streets - much like the UK.

JammyDoidger
15-11-2023, 05:37 PM
If he isn't ready for the first game he shouldn't be risked for the 2nd.

Fully agree. Shouldn't be playing unless he's 100% fit with no injury concerns, seems Hibs are a bit worried about Boyle atm, better in the house with the feet up. They won't need Boyle to beat these donuts.

Forza Fred
15-11-2023, 09:57 PM
Good to see Hibs and Australia working well together on the players welfare . I'd trust both Hibs and the Australian medical team to make the right call on the 2nd game and if they deem him fit he should play , he'd want too !.

Yep that was my immediate thoughts too, although I think it may also unfortunately mark the point where he is starting the beginning of the end of his international career.

Boyler is 30 now and unlikely to go to the next World Cup finals, so Arnie may decide to blood some of the up and comers in the coming months.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 06:02 AM
That could be quite a charged atmosphere no?

Australian government is publicly behind Israel but there are frequent protests on the streets - much like the UK.

Game is in Kuwait.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 06:03 AM
Yep that was my immediate thoughts too, although I think it may also unfortunately mark the point where he is starting the beginning of the end of his international career.

Boyler is 30 now and unlikely to go to the next World Cup finals, so Arnie may decide to blood some of the up and comers in the coming months.

That all makes sense

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2023, 07:29 AM
Lewis starts

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 09:12 AM
4-0 at half time.

Think Jamie MacLaren will get a run second half.

Lewis playing well on the overlap

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:15 AM
Lewis starts

Strain is fit as well so good chance of him establishing himself before Atkinson is fit.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:24 AM
5-0 MacLaren 49 mins

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:42 AM
6-0 MacLaren

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:54 AM
7-0 MacLaren

ElginHibbie
16-11-2023, 09:55 AM
7-0 MacLaren

Bring him home

Greenio
16-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Quality performance from Miller, even taking the quality of the opposition into account, he was on the ball a lot, making runs, getting at least one assist. Can only be good for Hibs to have another international starter

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 10:12 AM
Lewis must have covered miles tonight and was very very good.

As usual he copped a couple of heavy challenges but just got on with it.

It will be different game against Palestine on Tuesday….their side will be really up for it with all that’s going on over there, and the Kuwaities will be right behind them.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 10:15 AM
Strain is fit as well so good chance of him establishing himself before Atkinson is fit.

Lewis is better than both imo

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2023, 12:45 PM

Injuries do tend to catch up with players like Boyle who are speed merchants and it would only be good management on Arnold's part to be looking to the future on a replacement for Boyle though hopefully he has a few years left yet🤞.

I read there that Arnold said Boyle will be good to go for the Palestine game and he didn't travel for the first game as the problem was with the knee he had the ACL injury and the long journey might have caused it to swell up .

I didn't realise that it was caused by him sliding on his knees after scoring against Aberdeen too . Hopefully good to go now though . 👍

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 02:11 PM

Agreed

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 02:13 PM
Bring him home

Leave him where he is. He's found his level. He's excellent at scoring tap-ins against crap teams. His all round game is far to limited and is why he's still in the A-League with a goals record like his.

Allant1981
16-11-2023, 03:29 PM
Leave him where he is. He's found his level. He's excellent at scoring tap-ins against crap teams. His all round game is far to limited and is why he's still in the A-League with a goals record like his.

He scored quite a few for us, does that mean the Premier league is also his level?

Since90+2
16-11-2023, 04:35 PM
McLaren would comfortably be the 2nd best striker at the club. Will never happen but if have him back.

easty
16-11-2023, 05:47 PM

Not for me. I think Miller has plenty potential, but if we had both right now I’m sure we’d be starting Strain ahead of Miller.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 08:06 PM
He scored quite a few for us, does that mean the Premier league is also his level?

Ye’d think so, but as time went on, it was clear this level was too much for him and back he went.

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;7511536]Leave him where he is. He's found his level. He's excellent at scoring tap-ins against crap teams. His all round game is far too limited and is why he's still in the A-League with a goals record like his.[/QUOTE

Without entering into the pros and/or cons of Jamie’s game, I ‘d suggest that one of the main reasons he is still in the A League is that he is on more money at a club in his home city than most players get who venture overseas from Oz.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;7511536]Leave him where he is. He's found his level. He's excellent at scoring tap-ins against crap teams. His all round game is far too limited and is why he's still in the A-League with a goals record like his.[/QUOTE

Without entering into the pros and/or cons of Jamie’s game, I ‘d suggest that one of the main reasons he is still in the A League is that he is on more money at a club in his home city than most players get who venture overseas from Oz.

I watch loads of the A League. His game hasn’t really changed. Very little involvement outside the box. He still goes very long periods in games where he doesn’t get a single touch of the ball, just like he was here, and the side he plays for is probably the best team in the A League.

On the flip side in the box he’s brilliant. Reminds me very much of Inzaghi, the way he’s able to sniff out a tap in.

He maybe on great money in his home City but if anyone rated him at a decent level, he’d be on a hell of a lot more.

JammyDoidger
16-11-2023, 08:35 PM
Not for me. I think Miller has plenty potential, but if we had both right now I’m sure we’d be starting Strain ahead of Miller.

Strain's crossing ability and his general play on the ball is better I think, he chips in with a few goals and assists. Miller is more physical and arguably a better defender.

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 08:42 PM

Guess it’s all about opinions.

I’ve probably seen more of the two than most on here….and it STILL surprises me that Ryan Strain made it to the Socceroo squad.

He’s 26….3 years older than Lewis who is 23, and my memories of him are of mostly sitting on the Adelaide United bench unable to cement a regular starting place

I took a particular interest in him when the commentator one day revealed that he was former Hibs striker Gerry Baker’s grandson.

I’m one of the first to promote up and coming talent from Oz who I think could do a job for Hibs, but honestly, I just never saw that in Ryan when he was in Oz.

He disappeared off the local scene and it transpired that he had signed for a club in Israel…..not a normal footballing pathway…and he was, well, forgotten about.

Next I heard was that he had popped up at St Mirren…,where he surprised probably more than just me with some good performances.

There’s no doubt he’s a much better player than he was in Australia, and in all honesty if he hadn’t taken the unusual road to Israel, I think he may not even have been playing in the A League.

I guess it’s a classic ‘never give up’ story, and one of self belief, so good luck to him.

It will be an interesting contest between Lewis, Strain and Atkinson as to who will eventually emerge in a few months time as the Socceroos ‘regular’ right back.

Lewis had a delayed start…mainly due to injury and a manager at club level who didn’t seem to believe in him……but my money is on Lewis to make the World Cup squad as the eventual first choice

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Guess it’s all about opinions.

I’ve probably seen more of the two than most on here….and it STILL surprises me that Ryan Strain made it to the Socceroo squad.

He’s 26….3 years older than Lewis who is 23, and my memories of him are of mostly sitting on the Adelaide United bench unable to cement a regular starting place

I took a particular interest in him when the commentator one day revealed that he was former Hibs striker Gerry Baker’s grandson.

I’m one of the first to promote up and coming talent from Oz who I think could do a job for Hibs, but honestly, I just never saw that in Ryan when he was in Oz.

He disappeared off the local scene and it transpired that he had signed for a club in Israel…..not a normal footballing pathway…and he was, well, forgotten about.

Next I heard was that he had popped up at St Mirren…,where he surprised probably more than just me with some good performances.

There’s no doubt he’s a much better player than he was in Australia, and in all honesty if he hadn’t taken the unusual road to Israel, I think he may not even have been playing in the A League.

I guess it’s a classic ‘never give up’ story, and one of self belief, so good luck to him.

It will be an interesting contest between Lewis, Strain and Atkinson as to who will eventually emerge in a few months time as the Socceroos ‘regular’ right back.

Lewis had a delayed start…mainly due to injury and a manager at club level who didn’t seem to believe in him……but my money is on Lewis to make the World Cup squad as the eventual first choice

I thought Nathaniel Atkinson would be great and was gutted when Hearts signed him. He’s been very disappointing here. Miller looks far better and has far more attributes.

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;7511737]

I watch loads of the A League. His game hasn’t really changed. Very little involvement outside the box. He still goes very long periods in games where he doesn’t get a single touch of the ball, just like he was here, and the side he plays for is probably the best team in the A League.

On the flip side in the box he’s brilliant. Reminds me very much of Inzaghi, the way he’s able to sniff out a tap in.

He maybe on great money in his home City but if anyone rated him at a decent level, he’d be on a hell of a lot more.

I’m not a diehard fan of Jamie by any means……in fact when he came to Hibs I got pelters from some for describing him as ‘an ok striker’ but not a ‘great’ one…but am confused by your last sentence.

He’s certainly on more money at Melbourne City than he’d get at Hibs.

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 09:13 PM
I thought Nathaniel Atkinson would be great and was gutted when Hearts signed him. He’s been very disappointing here. Miller looks far better and has far more attributes.

Me too!

Atkinson is probably the best in a skill sense out of him, Miller and Strain, and had some outstanding under 23 performances at international level.

He was playing a bit more forward though, and I can’t help but think that the biggest mistake he made was moving to Hearts…..who certainly don’t seem to get the best out of their Oz players,

Interestingly, both Atkinson and Strain were mainly right wingers while Lewis was a centre half in their youth.

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:22 PM
Me too!

Atkinson is probably the best in a skill sense out of him, Miller and Strain, and had some outstanding under 23 performances at international level.

He was playing a bit more forward though, and I can’t help but think that the biggest mistake he made was moving to Hearts…..who certainly don’t seem to get the best out of their Oz players,

Interestingly, both Atkinson and Strain were mainly right wingers while Lewis was a centre half in their youth.

As Jamie Carragher once said, ‘Full backs are usually failed wingers or centre backs. No one ever grew up wanting to be Gary Neville’

Winston Ingram
16-11-2023, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;7511751]

I’m not a diehard fan of Jamie by any means……in fact when he came to Hibs I got pelters from some for describing him as ‘an ok striker’ but not a ‘great’ one…but am confused by your last sentence.

I’ve no doubt, but with a goal record like his, you’d expect clubs bigger than us to be in for him. The fact that they aren’t is down to how limited the rest of his game is.

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 09:26 PM

Not sure we would he is decent on the ball defensively pretty average imo

JimBHibees
16-11-2023, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;7511766]

I’ve no doubt, but with a goal record like his, you’d expect clubs bigger than us to be in for him. The fact that they aren’t is down to how limited the rest of his game is.

Or that he loves life in Aus

Forza Fred
16-11-2023, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;7511773]

Or that he loves life in Aus

Yep, I wasn’t going to answer it, but Jamie has made it pretty clear that he isn’t going anywhere.

He most probably HAS had more overseas offers that we haven’t heard about, but is happy where he is.

Not long had a daughter too.

He’s a good lad is Jamie….always speaks well of his time in Edinburgh……even making a positive out of being refused service and told to eff off by a Jambo supporting barman when, out with his wife, he ordered a drink at the bar…just after he had scored against them😂

CockneyRebel
16-11-2023, 10:23 PM
Injuries do tend to catch up with players like Boyle who are speed merchants and it would only be good management on Arnold's part to be looking to the future on a replacement for Boyle though hopefully he has a few years left yet🤞.

I read there that Arnold said Boyle will be good to go for the Palestine game and he didn't travel for the first game as the problem was with the knee he had the ACL injury and the long journey might have caused it to swell up .

I didn't realise that it was caused by him sliding on his knees after scoring against Aberdeen too . Hopefully good to go now though . 👍

Could never understand why coaches/managers didn't stop this dangerous looking celebration. Not sure if many injuries have come about through this but it does seem to me to be a risk not worth taking -especially after having knee injuries.

CockneyRebel
16-11-2023, 10:27 PM

:top marks

PHeffernan
16-11-2023, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=Winston Ingram;7511751]

Hi Fred, I remember reading all your posts on MacLaren and Atkinson so was gutted when Atkinson signed for Hearts.
A lot of Aussies have certainly landed at Scottish clubs since MacLaren left.
More than ever folk here have no patience and every new player is quickly judged as great or crap.
Hearts supporters opinion seems to be have been steady on Devlin but their opinions on Rowles and Atkinson fluctuate and Nieuwenhof is still in the honeymoon period.
As for Lewis Miller, there is a lot good about him and another rough edge will have been shaved off with fallovergate.
Baccus and Strain are both out of contract in the summer so there must be a chance they move on in January.

What of the rest currently playing here:
Jeggo is out of contract in the summer so about time for both parties to make a decision.
Tillio we haven't seen yet at Cellik.
Birrighitti appears to still be hanging on at Dundee Utd despite not having a squad number.
Last of the 11 Aussies is evergreen Ryan McGowan who seems to be back in vogue with Craig Levein after not playing for months under McLean.

easty
17-11-2023, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;7511766]

Hi Fred, I remember reading all your posts on MacLaren and Atkinson so was gutted when Atkinson signed for Hearts.
A lot of Aussies have certainly landed at Scottish clubs since MacLaren left.
More than ever folk here have no patience and every new player is quickly judged as great or crap.
Hearts supporters opinion seems to be have been steady on Devlin but their opinions on Rowles and Atkinson fluctuate and Nieuwenhof is still in the honeymoon period.
As for Lewis Miller, there is a lot good about him and another rough edge will have been shaved off with fallovergate.
Baccus and Strain are both out of contract in the summer so there must be a chance they move on in January.

What of the rest currently playing here:
Jeggo is out of contract in the summer so about time for both parties to make a decision.
Tillio we haven't seen yet at Cellik.
Birrighitti appears to still be hanging on at Dundee Utd despite not having a squad number.
Last of the 11 Aussies is evergreen Ryan McGowan who seems to be back in vogue with Craig Levein after not playing for months under McLean.

I wonder if we’d be looking at a loan move for Tilio? Not getting a look in at Celtc, but he was meant to be a good signing, sure he broke the transfer record for a player leaving the Australian league. NM would be well aware of him.

Forza Fred
17-11-2023, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=PHeffernan;7511791]

I wonder if we’d be looking at a loan move for Tilio? Not getting a look in at Celtc, but he was meant to be a good signing, sure he broke the transfer record for a player leaving the Australian league. NM would be well aware of him.

I’m not a fan of Tilio, although others certainly may be.

Put me as head of the ‘He’s Over rated’ movement!

I predicted he’d struggle to get a look in at Celtic, and last I read was Brendan Rodgers talking about how he was having difficulty adjusting to training.

If he is struggling to perform at training, it’s hard to see him being a success in a fair dinkum match.

As far as I know the only game time he has had in a Celtic jersey was in some kind of testimonial game for an Ayr United stalwart in front of a thousand people or so.

You may be right though…..Celtic are going to have to do something to give him game time….and no doubt he’ll be shunted out on loan somewhere………can’t see him improving us.

easty
17-11-2023, 07:04 AM
I’m not a fan of Tilio, although others certainly may be.

Put me as head of the ‘He’s Over rated’ movement!

I predicted he’d struggle to get a look in at Celtic, and last I read was Brendan Rodgers talking about how he was having difficulty adjusting to training.

If he is struggling to perform at training, it’s hard to see him being a success in a fair dinkum match.

As far as I know the only game time he has had in a Celtic jersey was in some kind of testimonial game for an Ayr United stalwart in front of a thousand people or so.

You may be right though…..Celtic are going to have to do something to give him game time….and no doubt he’ll be shunted out on loan somewhere………can’t see him improving us.

Fair enough. I’ve never seen him play at all.

Forza Fred
17-11-2023, 07:17 AM
Fair enough. I’ve never seen him play at all.

Probably the best way I could describe him is …..think of him as The Australian Melkersen.

I always add the rider though…..that’s just my opinion and I know others value him.

JimBHibees
17-11-2023, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;7511775]

Yep, I wasn’t going to answer it, but Jamie has made it pretty clear that he isn’t going anywhere.

He most probably HAS had more overseas offers that we haven’t heard about, but is happy where he is.

He’s a good lad is Jamie….always speaks well of his time in Edinburgh……even making a positive out of being refused service and told to eff off by a Jambo supporting barman when, out with his wife, he ordered a drink at the bar…just after he had scored against them😂

Brilliant the jambos are always bitter irrespective of where they are :greengrin

lyonhibs
17-11-2023, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=Forza Fred;7511786]

Brilliant the jambos are always bitter irrespective of where they are :greengrin

Presumably if he was out with the missus just after scoring against Hearts, this bitter barman was located in the far flung land of, errrrr, Edinburgh?? 😂

The Veteran
17-11-2023, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;7511775]

Perhaps said barman had just downed a pint of Bitter? :greengrin

JimBHibees
18-11-2023, 08:35 AM
Presumably if he was out with the missus just after scoring against Hearts, this bitter barman was located in the far flung land of, errrrr, Edinburgh?? 😂

Aye right enough :greengrin

Had it in my head a scene from Crocodile Dundee

Curried
18-11-2023, 02:27 PM
How can a game be played between Australia and Palestine at this moment in time!

greenlex
18-11-2023, 02:29 PM
How can a game be played between Australia and Palestine at this moment in time!
I guess the same way Ukraine haven’t really broke stride.

Stairway 2 7
18-11-2023, 02:29 PM

Same as Ukraine they play their home games away

Curried
18-11-2023, 02:44 PM
I see that the Australian football Association is now providing support for the Palestinians in Gaza.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/17/socceroos-vs-palestine-world-cup-qualifier-kuwait

Forza Fred
18-11-2023, 10:44 PM
I see that the Australian football Association is now providing support for the Palestinians in Gaza.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/17/socceroos-vs-palestine-world-cup-qualifier-kuwait

Covered on this morning.’s tv here in Oz.

Clearly seen as a case of ..NOT picking sides but donating through Oxfam, a (British based?) reputable charity’s appeal towards humanitarian relief where it’s obviously is/going to be needed.

I think they said a third of the players’ match fees from Tuesday’s game was being donated.

Think there’s little doubt the Socceroos would prefer it wasn’t Palestine they were playing on Tuesday night in the World Cup, but FIFA said the game goes ahead, so they play.

I seem to remember Scotland had a similar kind of thing with Ukraine involved…..and Graeme Souness was even calling for Scotland to give the game to Ukraine!

It’s a non issue over here, but no doubt because of the situation in Palestine the world media will cover a game that in normal times, most of the world would have had zero interest in….and I expect a close to full stadium in Kuwait overwhelmingly cheering Palestine on….

PatHead
20-11-2023, 07:08 AM
Is Boyle expected to play?

Forza Fred
20-11-2023, 11:33 PM
Is Boyle expected to play?

He will definitely be playing against Palestine.

Almost certainly starting.

Not sure about Lewis.

He got man of the match against Bangladesh, but you never know with Arnie.

Bridge hibs
21-11-2023, 05:36 AM
He will definitely be playing against Palestine.

Almost certainly starting.

Not sure about Lewis.

He got man of the match against Bangladesh, but you never know with Arnie.Is this game on tv and are we able to access in uk ?

Forza Fred
21-11-2023, 07:49 AM
Is this game on tv and are we able to access in uk ?

Pretty sure you’ll be able to pick it up somewhere.

If you have a VPN it’s on Channel 10, which is free to air.

Kick off is 2pm your time…1am in Oz.

Bridge hibs
21-11-2023, 07:57 AM

Kick off is 2pm your time…1am in Oz.Cheers Fred 👍

Curried
21-11-2023, 11:10 AM

Kick off is 2pm your time…1am in Oz.

Who knows what time it is in Queensland, but is 12.30 in SA. :na na:

Forza Fred
21-11-2023, 12:49 PM
Who knows what time it is in Queensland, but is 12.30 in SA. :na na:

Yep should have said in Sydney….given all the various time zones.

Team announced…Boyle starts…..Miller on bench.

Hillsidehibby
21-11-2023, 12:58 PM
Is it on any other channel in Australia other than 10?

JammyDoidger
21-11-2023, 12:59 PM
You'll get it on the socceroo's youtube

Hillsidehibby
21-11-2023, 01:03 PM

Cheers👍

BILLYHIBS
21-11-2023, 01:11 PM

Shout !

👍

Hillsidehibby
21-11-2023, 02:02 PM
Watching Australia v Argentina 1994 qualifier on the YouTube. I see Argentina had a ginger MacAllister back then as well!

Forza Fred
21-11-2023, 03:01 PM
Palestine o v Oz 1

Probably the poorest performance I’ve seen from the Socceroos in a while.

The result was what matters though and they got the 3 points.

Only Ryan in goals and Souttar who got the goal really got pass marks.

Boyle, like the rest of his colleagues, just never got going, and Lewis battled away but didn’t provide any sparks like he did the other night.

I guess it was always going to be a difficult game, so Oz will take the 3 points and move on.

overdrive
21-11-2023, 03:07 PM
Watching Australia v Argentina 1994 qualifier on the YouTube. I see Argentina had a ginger MacAllister back then as well!

That’s Alexis’ dad

The Veteran
21-11-2023, 03:31 PM
Palestine o v Oz 1

Probably the poorest performance I’ve seen from the Socceroos in a while.

The result was what matters though and they got the 3 points.

Only Ryan in goals and Souttar who got the goal really got pass marks.

Boyle, like the rest of his colleagues, just never got going, and Lewis battled away but didn’t provide any sparks like he did the other night.

I guess it was always going to be a difficult game, so Oz will take the 3 points and move on.

Oz probably didn’t want to aggravate Palestine by hammering them!