PDA

View Full Version : Retro Hibs shirts on Vinted - beware

Northernhibee
11-11-2023, 11:57 AM
Spent some money on a 94/96 Hibs shirt on Vinted - price wasn’t cheap but was still well priced for what it is. Didn’t think too much of it as I’ve picked up a few bargains on there as it is.

Was sent an image of a tracking number on a Royal Mail label. Got a bit suspicious as the parcel looked as if it may contain a shoebox. Have done some reverse Google image searches and it looks as if this is a common scam where you’ll be sent a counterfeit item from China, and the image used on the listing was taken from an old eBay listing of a genuine shirt.

Just a warning - from what I can see there’s a buyers guarantee that I should be able to get a refund and I’ve built enough evidence to say that’s the case but just to save anyone else the same wasted time.

Trinity Hibee
11-11-2023, 12:01 PM
That’s annoying. You do take a bit of a chance with shirts online. Sadly some folk send something different to what is advertised.

Northernhibee
11-11-2023, 12:04 PM
That’s annoying. You do take a bit of a chance with shirts online. Sadly some folk send something different to what is advertised.

Yeah. Often got some genuine stuff on there where people clearly haven’t realised that they could sell what they had for more money, but a convincing advert none the less.

Worth doing reverse image searches of future purchases to make sure the images aren’t nicked from elsewhere.

Trinity Hibee
11-11-2023, 12:17 PM
Been burnt a couple of times myself in the past where shirts haven’t even shown up. Not a great feeling

Northernhibee
11-11-2023, 03:35 PM
To be fair to Vinted, I messaged them with my suspicions about it being a scam - the eBay listing with the similar images, the tracking code not working, and they've refunded it straight away.

Jack
11-11-2023, 04:17 PM
What's the easiest way to do a reverse search?

Northernhibee
11-11-2023, 04:19 PM
What's the easiest way to do a reverse search?

Go to Google Images, and click on the icon at the right of the search bar. If you've screenshotted the image in the advert and cropped it, then it should bring up something similar.

Should have done it beforehand, but got excited, bought it, and happened to have a look on eBay to see if any had previously sold so I could compare images to make sure I'd not bought a dud. Happened to reverse image search the "shipping number" picture I was sent and found a Reddit thread about Vinted scams, with what appears to be an identical image with the shipping number changed.