PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

Donegal Hibby
10-11-2023, 01:40 PM
I thought Josh worked his socks off against St mirren and his goal most strikers would have been happy with a finish like that. I wouldn't be against the idea of starting him again behind Vente for the killie game . Good player to have who is versatile imo .

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/identity-crisis-no-problem-for-goal-hungry-hibs-all-rounder-4404200

bingo70
10-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Have to say he’s not my cup of tea.

That said though, if he is to make it as a success with Hibs I’ve said for a while it will be as a number 10 playing off the striker and not as a midfielder.

He’s got a knack of getting into the right place at the right time and that’s not an easy thing to do.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2023, 01:48 PM
I like him. He's Hibs through and through, one of our own, he works his socks off and he knows where the goals are.

I'm not sure I'd start him in front of Vente though.

Brightside
10-11-2023, 01:53 PM
He's an odd one for splitting opinion. If used correctly he can be dynamite. If anything his biggest issue is he can do a job all over the park but I totally agree that a false 9 / Attacking mid is his best position. More importantly he's a decent young man that would run through a wall for Hibs. He'd be way down my list of players to move on.

MWHIBBIES
10-11-2023, 02:09 PM
His skills can work in that position. Not especially creative, but always causes a bit of havoc.

JimBHibees
10-11-2023, 02:29 PM
Think I would give him another start where he was on Tuesday

Hibee Mac
10-11-2023, 02:53 PM
Love his work rate and effort, and he undoubtedly knows where the goal is.

But....his deficiencies are in passing and creativity, both of which are crucial for an effective number 10 week in week out.

I think he's like Jeggo, a horse for a course but shouldn't be a frequent starter.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Baader
10-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Like Josh. He gets goals. He could be coached into quite a player I think.

richard_pitts
10-11-2023, 03:00 PM
Like Josh. He gets goals. He could be coached into quite a player I think.

Agreed. NM will improve his game, which i don't think LJ did.

Iain G
10-11-2023, 03:22 PM
I like him. He's Hibs through and through, one of our own, he works his socks off and he knows where the goals are.

I'm not sure I'd start him in front of Vente though.

Think that he would start behind Vente 😁

Spike Mandela
10-11-2023, 03:33 PM
Love him or hate him he certainly knows where the goals are.

J-C
10-11-2023, 03:39 PM
Josh isn't good enough technically to be a good all round midfielder but been alluded to he works hard and knows where the goal is and get into those positions. He's not clever enough to be a no.10 but playing just off the striker and dropping deep to help out the midfield seems perfect for him and he bleeds green.

Centre Hawf
10-11-2023, 03:58 PM
I actually do see him as a bit of a target man type player playing around a striker like Vente/Melkersen/Nisbet types. He's not a Scott Allan number 10 but he's a mobile/physical lad that presses and causes chaos in the final third if allowed to go and do so. He has an eye for a goal as well. I'd start him again on Saturday beside Vente no problem at all.

Greenbeard
10-11-2023, 04:02 PM
There's a few who could do with emulating his work rate. If he can recapture his form from early season 22-23 he's definitely got a role to play.

Stubbsy90+2
10-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Personally think he’s a very poor footballer for our level but he’s got a knack for getting goals which are obviously the most important part of the game.

Doesn’t offer nearly enough to start for us imo but has a place as a squad player. If he could improve the rest of his game he’d be in with a shout of being a Hibs no. 10.

The Veteran
10-11-2023, 04:26 PM
He's not my cup of tea, but I can see why some like him.

Allant1981
10-11-2023, 04:29 PM
He isn't a great footballer but see if he gets at least 10 goals a season then surely that's good enough to have him around, newell, jeggo, Levitt aren't going to get a lot of goals so need someone else from midfield chipping in

Billy Whizz
10-11-2023, 04:29 PM
His finish on Wednesday night was that of a top striker
He had to adjust his feet to calmly stroke the ball into the corner

Hibbyradge
10-11-2023, 04:32 PM
Think that he would start behind Vente 😁

👍

Mikey_1875
10-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Mature words from someone who has found themselves out of favour in the new system. If he can reinvent himself in this new role then it would be a nice bonus for everyone. I thought he was decent enough on Wednesday and scored a good goal.

My gut feeling is he will need to move on in the summer but his attitude and work rate can’t be knocked.

JammyDoidger
10-11-2023, 07:27 PM
He has a great knack of scoring goals, arriving late in the box, he's better than folk give him credit for, he could actually be perfect for the second striker role. Reminds me so much of Lampard. Albeit obviously not at his level.

Scottie
11-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Take a bow son another great finish for the winner today :thumbsup:

MagicSwirlingShip
11-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Well done Josh

Vault Boy
11-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Guy is a match winner. Delighted for Josh, thought his all round game was much sharper today, some really good link up play and his stamina and work rate was absolutely vital in our holding on at the end. Excellent showing.

JammyDoidger
11-11-2023, 04:25 PM
Go on the Hibs Lampard. Delighted to win for a change!

WhileTheChief..
11-11-2023, 04:29 PM
One of my fav players in the squad.

Played well and took his goal well.

LewysGot2
11-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Can't believe Josh got booked for something their No10 did minutes beforehand and didn't get booked for.

Donegal Hibby
11-11-2023, 04:31 PM
Excellent energy and workrate today and another good goal from one of our own .
Well played josh :applause:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/top-scorers

Wull
11-11-2023, 04:33 PM
I’ve always liked, can be frustrating at times, but a good hibee

Jones28
11-11-2023, 04:33 PM
Josh the robot.

How many consecutive goals until he achieves such a status?

supermcginn
11-11-2023, 05:33 PM
Fair play to the lad, he doesn't add anything to the build up but he can score a goal alright

Smartie
11-11-2023, 05:35 PM
He’s a funny one. Whilst we can argue all day long about his weaknesses or things he maybe doesn’t do, 3 unarguable facts are that he’s a hibby, he knocks his pan in and he scores a lot of goals, a tidy combination that you’d think might merit a bit more acknowledgment from “his own”.

Allant1981
11-11-2023, 05:36 PM
Said it earlier on the thread, good player to have as he scores goals, we need midfielders who can do that, must be knackered tonight, ran for miles

Hiber-nation
11-11-2023, 05:59 PM
Was as good as anyone in the 1st half, very lucky with the goal though. Ran and ran as usual. If they can coach taking the ball better and moving it quicker into him then we'll have a player. He just doesn't have that at the moment and gives away possession too often.

A Hi-Bee
11-11-2023, 07:24 PM
He’s a funny one. Whilst we can argue all day long about his weaknesses or things he maybe doesn’t do, 3 unarguable facts are that he’s a hibby, he knocks his pan in and he scores a lot of goals, a tidy combination that you’d think might merit a bit more acknowledgment from “his own”.

:top marksGoals Campbell, he will do for me.

:flag::flag::flag:

Shrekko
11-11-2023, 07:27 PM
I actually think he's very good technically - problem is he's very safety first with the ball when I think he has more than that.

His main problems for me are lack of mobility and despite doing a lot of running I don't ever see him getting that close to opponents. Some of his tackles are well dodgy.

Goal scoring is the hardest skill of all though so well done to him again- he's played a big part in us picking up 4 points this week.

Hibby Bairn
11-11-2023, 07:30 PM
Fair play to the lad, he doesn't add anything to the build up but he can score a goal alright

Apart from the best through ball of the game in the second half down the inside right.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2023, 07:34 PM
I'm not a huge fans but 2 goals in 2 games and 4 points from 6 with him starting means you can't argue against him too much. He's earned the shirt.

B.H.F.C
11-11-2023, 07:39 PM
Well done to him. He’s not going to score every week but hopefully keeps contributing if stays in the team.

truehibernian
11-11-2023, 07:41 PM
I'm not a huge fans but 2 goals in 2 games and 4 points from 6 with him starting means you can't argue against him too much. He's earned the shirt.

Just needs to improve on his decision making at times, but what’s great about Josh is his continual knack of being in the right position to take a chance or be in or around the box. He’s fit as a fiddle. I was hugely critical of him a season ago because he lost composure too often. However, goals aside, look at the chances he’s got himself into purely by being positive (Hearts twice at ER under Maloney and Johnson in a midweek game and cup game spring to mind). Reminds me of a certain Mr McGinlay 👍

andrew70
11-11-2023, 07:48 PM
Just needs to improve on his decision making at times, but what’s great about Josh is his continual knack of being in the right position to take a chance or be in or around the box. He’s fit as a fiddle. I was hugely critical of him a season ago because he lost composure too often. However, goals aside, look at the chances he’s got himself into purely by being positive (Hearts twice at ER under Maloney and Johnson in a midweek game and cup game spring to mind). Reminds me of a certain Mr McGinlay 👍

That’s high praise, he’s got a long way to go to be McGinlay-esque but I hear ya.

His goal scoring ability is second to none. Problem is where do we play him in a 442. Maybe make a good impact player later in games?

FWIW I like him a lot and he’s living the dream but I struggle to place him in our strongest eleven.

Brightside
11-11-2023, 07:54 PM

I’d watch the game again. He was very good again today.

Musselbound
11-11-2023, 07:55 PM
That’s high praise, he’s got a long way to go to be McGinlay-esque but I hear ya.

His goal scoring ability is second to none. Problem is where do we play him in a 442. Maybe make a good impact player later in games?

FWIW I like him a lot and he’s living the dream but I struggle to place him in our strongest eleven.

Fair enough comment but hasn't he started the last 2 games and scored? Based on that he's going to be difficult to drop.

andrew70
11-11-2023, 08:01 PM
Fair enough comment but hasn't he started the last 2 games and scored? Based on that he's going to be difficult to drop.

Yeah definitely. He’s earned a shirt but do we continue to leave out Youan or does he come back in? Does Boyle stay on the shoulder of Vente? Does Jair keep his place?

Nice to have options and goals but strongest eleven (subjective) I don’t think he plays and that’s very hard on him.

He's here!
11-11-2023, 08:03 PM
12 goals from midfield for a player who is in and out the team is good going.

A Hi-Bee
11-11-2023, 08:04 PM
12 goals from midfield for a player who is in and out the team is good going.

:top marksvery good going I would say.

Brightside
11-11-2023, 08:17 PM
Would be nice if we didn’t constantly found the negative in players.

supermcginn
11-11-2023, 08:20 PM
I’d watch the game again. He was very good again today.

I never said he wasn't. Be good if you could go at least two posts without trying to tell someone they are blind or their opinion is wrong Dave. Tiresome

Donegal Hibby
11-11-2023, 08:35 PM
Wasn't it Josh that played an absolute cracker of a pass to Boyle or was that someone else ?

JimBHibees
12-11-2023, 08:47 AM

Totally agree

WeeRussell
12-11-2023, 08:50 AM
Totally agree

Me tae. With some it’s just stubbornness and needing to be ‘right’ that will continue to see them argue and only give faint praise through gritted teeth, even if he scores every game.

Spike Mandela
12-11-2023, 08:54 AM
His skills can work in that position. Not especially creative, but always causes a bit of havoc.

Not creative? He scores more goals than some of our strikers.

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2023, 08:57 AM
I think playing in the position he's playing now is perfect for him, he's not being asked to create from deeper and wont be giving the ball away in more dangerous positions.

It's his shirt now, he's earnt it.:top marks

JimBHibees
12-11-2023, 09:00 AM
I think playing in the position he's playing now is perfect for him, he's not being asked to create from deeper and wont be giving the ball away in more dangerous positions.

It's his shirt now, he's earnt it.:top marks

Totally agree position suits him much better. Has also taken his chance well in the last two games.

leithsansiro
12-11-2023, 09:04 AM
The way that I look at it is whether or not we’d want to sign him if he didn’t play for us. Young(-ish) midfielder who scored regularly from midfield and works hard for the team? Yeah, I think we would. If he played for someone like St Mirren or Motherwell and became available, I’d be disappointed f we weren’t looking at him as a squad player. He may not have the exact skill set or quality to be a first name on the team sheet every week, but he’s a good enough player to be in and around the squad.

I think that people can be too quick forget the level we’re playing at. Of course players have deficiencies, that’s why they’re playing in the SPFL and not for Real Madrid.

Coach Jon
12-11-2023, 09:11 AM
The way that I look at it is whether or not we’d want to sign him if he didn’t play for us. Young(-ish) midfielder who scored regularly from midfield and works hard for the team? Yeah, I think we would. If he played for someone like St Mirren or Motherwell and became available, I’d be disappointed f we weren’t looking at him as a squad player. He may not have the exact skill set or quality to be a first name on the team sheet every week, but he’s a good enough player to be in and around the squad.

I think that people can be too quick forget the level we’re playing at. Of course players have deficiencies, that’s why they’re playing in the SPFL and not for Real Madrid.

You talk about the level we are playing at, surely we are trying to improve the level that we are playing at, we need better if we have any ambition.

leithsansiro
12-11-2023, 09:15 AM
You talk about the level we are playing at, surely we are trying to improve the level that we are playing at, we need better if we have any ambition.

You don’t think a young, goal scoring midfielder is useful as a squad player?
Out of curiosity, who would you say is a better, realistic alternative?

Would Josh Campbell walk into the first team of any side ouwith the old firm and Hearts/Aberdeen? I’d say he would, so in my book that makes him useful to have within the squad. He may not take us to the next level, but I’d argue we don’t need him for that.

JohnM1875
12-11-2023, 09:25 AM
The laddie scores goals. What's not to like about that.

Coach Jon
12-11-2023, 09:26 AM
You don’t think a young, goal scoring midfielder is useful as a squad player?
Out of curiosity, who would you say is a better, realistic alternative?

Would Josh Campbell walk into the first team of any side ouwith the old firm and Hearts/Aberdeen? I’d say he would, so in my book that makes him useful to have within the squad. He may not take us to the next level, but I’d argue we don’t need him for that.

We have to have ambition to surpass Hearts/Aberdeen though so we need players who are good enough to take us to the level.

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Not creative? He scores more goals than some of our strikers.

Absolutely. That doesn't make him a creative playmaker.

He's like Pippo inzaghi. Not the best footballer, not a great passer, average touch, but causes a lot of havoc and gets goals. There is absolutely a place for him here. He can be key for us.

Eyrie
12-11-2023, 09:38 AM
We have to have ambition to surpass Hearts/Aberdeen though so we need players who are good enough to take us to the level.

As starting players, yes, but Campbell could still do a job for us as a squad player.

Mind you we have a lot of players who are good enough to do a job for us at our current level but not quite good enough to take us to the next level. Some popular players will need to be moved on to create room in the squad for those better players that we need. It'll be interesting to see who Montgomery keeps.

JohnM1875
12-11-2023, 09:40 AM
Absolutely. That doesn't make him a creative playmaker.

He's like Pippo inzaghi. Not the best footballer, not a great passer, average touch, but causes a lot of havoc and gets goals. There is absolutely a place for him here. He can be key for us.

Probably best he’s playing up top then.

sleeping giant
12-11-2023, 09:43 AM
:top marksvery good going I would say.

It's putstanding.

I cannot believe what I'm reading on here.
Especially from the self proclaimed coaches 🤣

Donegal Hibby
12-11-2023, 09:10 PM
Besides his goals and workrate he's a great player to have as he can play quite a few positions.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/mr-versatile-pressing-concerns-and-practical-solutions-hibs-talking-points-4406495

lyonhibs
13-11-2023, 05:20 AM
He's in a purple patch right now, and long may it continue, but if he's not getting on the end of things like he currently is then he doesn't contribute nearly enough.

Fingers crossed that's a moot point and he keeps scoring regularly of course

Lago
13-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Frankly he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2023, 09:52 AM
Besides his goals and workrate he's a great player to have as he can play quite a few positions.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/mr-versatile-pressing-concerns-and-practical-solutions-hibs-talking-points-4406495

I'm not convinced he can play in a few positions, i wouldnt want to see him as one of the two midfielders in a 4-4-2 that play central.

I think he's found a position now which gets the best out of his qualities.

Donegal Hibby
13-11-2023, 10:39 AM
I'm not convinced he can play in a few positions, i wouldnt want to see him as one of the two midfielders in a 4-4-2 that play central.

I think he's found a position now which gets the best out of his qualities.

He's an attacking midfielder that has seemed to have found a position that suits him .

I think we have other players probably more suited to playing as our two Midfielders in a 4-4-2 than josh though against Ross county I think he'd have been a better choice to bring on has one than Delferriere mainly because of his workrate .

I don't necessarily agree with some that say if he doesn't score he doesn't really contribute , imo he always puts a good shift in for the team .

I don't see Monty using him in one of a few positions he can play because of the system we play now though still handy to have the option if we were hit by injuries though .

JimBHibees
13-11-2023, 01:02 PM
He's an attacking midfielder that has seemed to have found a position that suits him .

I think we have other players probably more suited to playing as our two Midfielders in a 4-4-2 than josh though against Ross county I think he'd have been a better choice to bring on has one than Delferriere mainly because of his workrate .

I don't necessarily agree with some that say if he doesn't score he doesn't really contribute , imo he always puts a good shift in for the team .

I don't see Monty using him in one of a few positions he can play because of the system we play now though still handy to have the option if we were hit by injuries though .

Newell should have been brought on v County

The Harp
13-11-2023, 01:49 PM
The more negative comments about Josh on here - the more I like him.
If NM thinks he merits a place in the team, in whatever role, that'll do for me.

tonyrougier123
13-11-2023, 02:37 PM
For me very underrated young Campbell, powerful intelligent runs,goals all the time,some cracking finishes as well. I don’t buy into the passing game theory, I’ve seen some top play link play in his game. I also don’t disagree some games pass him by. But undeniable he is talismanic and influential to the team.

Donegal Hibby
13-11-2023, 04:08 PM
Newell should have been brought on v County

Yeah your right Jim , forgot he was on the bench that game though I'd still have rathered josh on instead of Delferriere though.

PatHead
13-11-2023, 05:49 PM
4 points from Campbell's goals in the last 2 games.

Since452
13-11-2023, 06:00 PM
The boy knows how to score goals that's for sure

Donegal Hibby
13-11-2023, 06:04 PM
4 points from Campbell's goals in the last 2 games.

Last year he gained us some valuable points too . Late winner against St Johnstone, late equaliser against Sevco, he's gets himself into good position and dare I say a better finisher than some strikers we have had in the past too .

superfurryhibby
13-11-2023, 06:09 PM
If Josh plays then he has to play up front, in behind the striker. He's contributing more with his goals than he does elsewhere. Fair play to him, he works hard and gives it everything

Bostonhibby
13-11-2023, 06:12 PM
If Josh plays then he has to play up front, in behind the striker. He's contributing more with his goals than he does elsewhere. Fair play to him, he works hard and gives it everythingThis is where I am on Josh, have been for a while.

He easily deserves a run in this team.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The Modfather
13-11-2023, 08:40 PM
For me very underrated young Campbell, powerful intelligent runs,goals all the time,some cracking finishes as well. I don’t buy into the passing game theory, I’ve seen some top play link play in his game. I also don’t disagree some games pass him by. But undeniable he is talismanic and influential to the team.

Are we still talking about Campbell or has the thread moved onto Super John as the subject?

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2023, 05:12 AM

He probably has been involved in some link up play, but on average, his passing poor.

The Veteran
14-11-2023, 04:17 PM
The boy knows how to score goals that's for sure

Definitely this, but his passing leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm sure that this will be addressed by NM though.