What were the positives from Wednesday night? ✅
Are there signs of improvement?👍
How sickening was another late goal against?🤢

Tune in now to Ep 231 Another Fine Mess

📺 https://youtu.be/g_dXg3G2Fz4?si=P_5ymt__nRmCbuWV
🎧 https://pod.fo/e/20077e

DaveF
10-11-2023, 05:53 PM
Must admit that I had no idea of how Var interprets the fouls, non fouls as you describe Matty. If you are correct, then it's clearly flawed and just needs binned.

DaveF
10-11-2023, 06:16 PM
And I completely agree about how Montgomery deserves praise rather than criticism. I've every confidence that he can turn this around -; hopefully starting on Saturday.

Dmas
10-11-2023, 07:39 PM
I’m enjoying the tour of Colin’s house

matty_f
10-11-2023, 09:35 PM
I’m enjoying the tour of Colin’s house

:faf: he’s saying he’ll do a walk-around soon!

matty_f
10-11-2023, 09:43 PM
Must admit that I had no idea of how Var interprets the fouls, non fouls as you describe Matty. If you are correct, then it's clearly flawed and just needs binned.

I think I’m right with it, Dave. It’s mental, if they see something that’s blatantly wrong that’s outside the scope of VAR then they have to ignore it. Like if the ref had given a goal kick there, and the var flagged a potential penalty and the referee reviews it… if in the review he decided it’s not a penalty but can clearly see it should be a corner rather than a goal kick, he has to stick with the goal kick decision because it’s out of scope.

They need a “while you’re at it” clause that allows the referees to deal with other things seen in the review where appropriate. It’s scandalous that they’d ignore the fouls on hibs players and only review the penalty.

That’s really open to abuse from officials as well, you can imagine certain clubs getting reviews for stuff more than others.

Manxhibs
11-11-2023, 07:41 AM
New listener and enjoying the content. I believe you’re right with your understanding of VAR application, which makes it unfair as you said.

There is too much money in VAR for it to go away quietly, it is however ruining football. Goals cannot be celebrated fully and it certainly feels rather than finding ways to speed things up, they are actually becoming more nervous about making errors.

Personally think they should admit to its shortcomings and work with fan groups to enhance the experience. I don’t know if mic’d up refs and replays will work in footy, I feel it has potential to insight violence/verbal or online abuse with the wrong people.

I do think that the 2 minute time limit on VAR, which I have seen suggested, would be a quick fix. As if they can’t find a conclusive result in 2 mins, going with the on-field decision makes sense to me.

matty_f
11-11-2023, 08:54 AM
New listener and enjoying the content. I believe you’re right with your understanding of VAR application, which makes it unfair as you said.

There is too much money in VAR for it to go away quietly, it is however ruining football. Goals cannot be celebrated fully and it certainly feels rather than finding ways to speed things up, they are actually becoming more nervous about making errors.

Personally think they should admit to its shortcomings and work with fan groups to enhance the experience. I don’t know if mic’d up refs and replays will work in footy, I feel it has potential to insight violence/verbal or online abuse with the wrong people.

I do think that the 2 minute time limit on VAR, which I have seen suggested, would be a quick fix. As if they can’t find a conclusive result in 2 mins, going with the on-field decision makes sense to me.

The time limit would be a welcome addition, imho.

Eyrie
11-11-2023, 09:10 AM
I said when VAR was proposed that there should be a time limit because "clear and obvious" would not require a lengthy look.

But unlike the authorities, I'm only a football fan.

Sioux
11-11-2023, 09:16 AM
I think I’m right with it, Dave. It’s mental, if they see something that’s blatantly wrong that’s outside the scope of VAR then they have to ignore it. Like if the ref had given a goal kick there, and the var flagged a potential penalty and the referee reviews it… if in the review he decided it’s not a penalty but can clearly see it should be a corner rather than a goal kick, he has to stick with the goal kick decision because it’s out of scope.

They need a “while you’re at it” clause that allows the referees to deal with other things seen in the review where appropriate. It’s scandalous that they’d ignore the fouls on hibs players and only review the penalty.

That’s really open to abuse from officials as well, you can imagine certain clubs getting reviews for stuff more than others.

Are you serious? If VAR had to look at everything the game would last longer than the NFL.

Jones28
11-11-2023, 09:27 AM
Are you serious? If VAR had to look at everything the game would last longer than the NFL.

It’s what they do in rugby. It’s the only way to make it fair.

Argylehibby
11-11-2023, 09:35 AM

It happens to a degree in rugby. TMO alerts ref to potential foul play and then as the incident is being shown on the screen the ref is able to pick up other incidents and react to them.

matty_f
11-11-2023, 10:02 AM

Sorry, that’s not what i meant. I meant that if they were doing a check like they did on Wednesday for the penalty, the referee should be allowed to consider all the infringements in that review, and not just the one (the potential penalty) that’s in scope for VAR.

greenlex
11-11-2023, 10:12 AM
A time limit is open to abuse to determine a decision that say for instance the var team don’t like. Best it’s done properly to conclusion in a clear and transparent manner however long it takes preferably with real time commentary.

Manxhibs
11-11-2023, 10:46 AM
A time limit is open to abuse to determine a decision that say for instance the var team don’t like. Best it’s done properly to conclusion in a clear and transparent manner however long it takes preferably with real time commentary.

You could help with fan engagement with a clock on screen counting down.

JimBHibees
12-11-2023, 09:13 AM
Sorry, that’s not what i meant. I meant that if they were doing a check like they did on Wednesday for the penalty, the referee should be allowed to consider all the infringements in that review, and not just the one (the potential penalty) that’s in scope for VAR.

Great point the whole incident should be getting reviewed not one small element of it chosen by a guy in Glasgow.

DaveF
13-11-2023, 01:52 PM
Listening to this week's just now and laughing at the 6 year old and his shouts, and his comments mirror mine, so I may well be his role model 😄

matty_f
13-11-2023, 02:22 PM
Listening to this week's just now and laughing at the 6 year old and his shouts, and his comments mirror mine, so I may well be his role model 😄

Haha!! He kept me entertained all game.

CentreLine
13-11-2023, 08:11 PM

Personally I’d rather they took the time and got it right than give the opportunity for VAR operators to us the two min rule to accept a “favourable” decision. The problem is they still get decisions wrong despite pondering over them for an age.

matty_f
13-11-2023, 08:28 PM
Personally I’d rather they took the time and got it right than give the opportunity for VAR operators to us the two min rule to accept a “favourable” decision. The problem is they still get decisions wrong despite pondering over them for an age.

You could give an extension if they needed it, I guess but maybe use it for the clear and obvious error test - a clear and obvious error should be evident quickly.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-11-2023, 11:39 AM
You could give an extension if they needed it, I guess but maybe use it for the clear and obvious error test - a clear and obvious error should be evident quickly.

Is the “clear and obvious” phrase actually applied or is it made up by pundits and managers ?

nonshinyfinish
15-11-2023, 12:05 PM
Is the “clear and obvious” phrase actually applied or is it made up by pundits and managers ?

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/video-assistant-referee-var-protocol/

1. A video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official, with independent access to match footage, who may assist the referee only in the event of a ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:

a. Goal/no goal

b. Penalty/no penalty

c. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)

d. Mistaken identity (when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team)