PDA

View Full Version : Hibees Community not in Edinburgh

montys_menXI
08-11-2023, 10:32 AM
I guess this question applies to most football fans who don't live close to their club anymore but...

Why do you continue to support hibs:
- if you have moved away from the city?
- when the players and managers change so often nowadays?

ChilliEater
08-11-2023, 10:50 AM
I guess this question applies to most football fans who don't live close to their club anymore but...

Does anyone stop supporting their team? I've always considered supporting Hibs as part of my identity :dunno:

Jones28
08-11-2023, 10:53 AM

1 - I don't anyones first club is purely geographical decision, but you don't change your team because you move. Stenhousemuir were recently my local team and I went along to a few of their games but they were never going to replace Hibs. Ditto Grimsby Town when I lived down there.
2 - The club is bigger and more important than any player/manager. The only person that comes close to that is Alex Ferguson at Man U.

JimBHibees
08-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Does anyone stop supporting their team? I've always considered supporting Hibs as part of my identity :dunno:

Absolutely in many ways the distance may make it stronger

hibstag
08-11-2023, 11:08 AM
I’m from up north originally, dad from Edinburgh who was a hibee always an decent hibs contingent within the ‘Edinburgh ex pat’ guys that worked at Ross and Cromarty district council. More recently I noticed at Ross county away a lot of Hibs supporters who lived locally with kids still supporting. Hibs still a decent pull a few generations down the line.

matty_f
08-11-2023, 11:10 AM
I would never really consider changing teams. I live about a half hour walk from East End Park but it’s never crossed my mind that I would swap Hibs for the Pars.

I consider Hibs to be very much a part of me, to be honest.

JimBHibees
08-11-2023, 11:13 AM
I’m from up north originally, dad from Edinburgh who was a hibee always an decent hibs contingent within the ‘Edinburgh ex pat’ guys that worked at Ross and Cromarty district council. More recently I noticed at Ross county away a lot of Hibs supporters who lived locally with kids still supporting. Hibs still a decent pull a few generations down the line.

Good to hear that sort of stuff.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2023, 11:17 AM
That's a good question actually. It's made me think about why it would be impossible for me to support another team instead of Hibs.

Like Chillieater, it's part of my identity. I'm Scottish and I'm a Hibby. Neither of those things are optional. I don't have a choice. Mind you, York City aren't much of a pull anyway! 😀

Some people have been saying that they'd "walk away" if Saudis took us over or if XYZ happened. That just wouldn't be possible for me, and I'm sceptical when I read those comments.

Golden Bear
08-11-2023, 11:29 AM
Yes, Hibs are without a doubt an Edinburgh team, but I would think a reasonable percentage of the support have always been based outwith the City.

Many fans regularly travel fron the Lothians, Borders, Fife and I guess further afield than that.

Pagan Hibernia
08-11-2023, 11:43 AM
I'm not from Edinburgh, I'm not even from Scotland.

I fell in love with the Scottish Capital on annual visits every summer. We couldn't go abroad but those ferry trips to the west coast and then on to Edinburgh were very special to me.

When it came to football, there was only one natural choice, those beautiful resplendent green and white kits have a lot to answer for. I mean, maroon isn't exactly aesthetically appealing is it. Dad started taking me to early season games every August and that was that. It has never occurred to me to support anyone else.

Jack
08-11-2023, 11:58 AM
You can change your place of residence.

You can even change your wife.

You can never change your football team!

weecounty hibby
08-11-2023, 12:02 PM
I'm not from Edinburgh and none of my family are either and have never lived there. Gran and grandpa came down from darkest Turriff during the war. Most of my extended family are from up there. Hibs were the team to watch post war so that's how we are now into our 4th generation of Hibbies.

Edit. Should have said they cane down to Alloa

DH1875
08-11-2023, 12:07 PM
Moved to Blackpool when I was 7 and then to Glasgow when I was 15. Have lived between Glasgow and Spain (Malaga area) since and I am now in my 40s. My uncles run one of the biggest celtic supporters clubs in Scotland and I know a few of the green brigade. Have been to a few of their European games over the years and was even in Sevilla with them years ago. I'm still a Hibs fan though and often asked why I traipse across the country watching Hibs and putting up with poor results. I usually just growl at them and they don't ask again.
To be fare, I've no idea why. Its just what I do. Once it gets you it gets you and there's just no turning back. Will be a Hi-bee till I die lol.

worcesterhibby
08-11-2023, 12:14 PM
I’ve lived in England since 1986, but if anything it made me more of a Hibs supporter. My folks and best pals moved out of the city, so Hibs was my main reason for returning, for many years. It’s part of my identity, part of my Scottishness, part of my soul.

NAE NOOKIE
08-11-2023, 12:24 PM
I lived in Leith for a while when I was a kid, played fitba on Leith links and went to Leith links primary.

My family had no interest in football and my first real memory was a lot of my wee mates suddenly becoming Celtic fans the day after they won the European cup. Not long after my family moved to the Borders and I was a Celtic fan until 1975.

I can almost point to the second I binned them for Hibs, the day of the 1975 Scottish cup final, Celtic 3 Airdrie 1 ... It was an absolutely conscious decision based on a desire to support a club from the city I was born in, what the hell had a Glasgow club got to do with me? having lived in Leith there was really only one choice.

In the time since Celtic have won the league 24 times, the Scottish cup 17 times, the League cup 13 times and played in two European finals. Hibs have won the Scottish cup once, the League cup twice and been relegated 3 times.

For me supporting Hibs is as much about loyalty to the city I was born in as football reasons, I can't understand how anybody born and raised in Edinburgh would support one of the Uglies and I haven't regretted my decision for a second :greengrin

He's here!
08-11-2023, 01:13 PM
I'd be surprised if many bona fide fans stopped supporting their club just because they moved away.

What, I guess, might be more likely is that if you have kids who are born away from Edinburgh/Scotland, they might not be as likely to follow the club so passionately. I've lived away from Edinburgh for several significant spells in my life and if my kids had been born back then I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy for them to support whatever the local team was if it was a way of keeping in with their pals/going to the football regularly.

O'Rourke3
08-11-2023, 01:40 PM
I've not moved that far from Porty but giving up on Hibs and following someone else is akin to losing a bollock. I don't mind taking in other football as it makes a change not being emotionally invested in it but never my team.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

OstKurve Hibs
08-11-2023, 02:17 PM
I know a few folk that changed their colours, lose respect for them after that.
One boy was a dundee fan since I knew him the last 20 years n now supports celtic, he's in his 60s aswell, what a goon !

lyonhibs
08-11-2023, 02:30 PM
To quote the great Lawrie Reilly - I was born a Hibbie and I'll die a Hibbie.

Where I live (haven't lived in Scotland on a permanent basis for nearly 15 years) and who's wearing the jerseys at any given moment in time will never change that.

Torto7
08-11-2023, 03:18 PM
I moved to Fife as its cheaper and Ive got a nice house. There's plenty of people from over the bridge who have done the same lots of Hibs fans. I did commit to going to watch the Pars as much as possible when I moved here though when it doesn't clash with Hibs.

Cat Stanton
08-11-2023, 03:22 PM

It's an illness. And I am beyond any cure.

hibbie02
08-11-2023, 03:56 PM
Raised in EH7, within the sound of the crowd at ER. I used to try and predict the scores on a Saturday before I was old enough to go along.

Family all Jambos who moved from Saughton and Sighthill, but I was captured by sound of Hibs scoring goals and then by seein the Tornadoes.

Spent a couple of years in Newcastle in the early 80s and loved going to St James Park, but stayed Hibs and moved back for a few years and travelled Home and Away with Hibs. Eventually moved South in 86 and have lived near Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton and now in Essex. I liked to go to games when I could but never as a supporter.

My daughter has never lived in Scotland and is West Ham and Hibs, mainly in that order, but I brought her up well and she knows her History!

Diclonius
08-11-2023, 04:00 PM
I lived in Longstone for about ten minutes as a newborn, and grew up in Carnoustie. Went back for Uni for four years but always lived in the west of the city; five mins walk from Tynecastle for one of those years.

I picked Hibs as a teenager pretty much at random. My Dad was Celtic but I never really fancied it and he's now converted. A >2 hour trip to Easter Road on matchday for me has always been the norm, not the exception, so I'm not going to stop now no matter how ***** we are.

The Veteran
08-11-2023, 04:12 PM

:thumbsup:

Vault Boy
08-11-2023, 04:21 PM
Because despite being born in London, I was hoodwinked into supporting Hibs by my Portobello-nian father with promises of an endless supply of players like Riordan, Brown, and O’Connor and cup wins like 2007.

By the time it became clear that for every one Mowbray there were three Calderwoods, I was too far gone. Unfortunately, this stupid, wonderful, awful, perfect club means the world to me. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Helensburghhibs
08-11-2023, 04:24 PM
I sometimes question the 4 hour roubd trip to watch us get pumped at home to ross county etc,,,,,, but wouldnt change it for the world 😂

Forza Fred
10-11-2023, 04:13 AM
Most of us downunder are like me and despite suffering sleep deprivation, a stuttering Hibs TV service at times, and results that ruin the mood for the weekend, would not and could not ever countenance not having Hibs as a major part of their lives.

I’ve been here since 1974….a couple I know of even before then.

Hibrandenburg
10-11-2023, 05:42 AM
It's all about emotional attachment. I've tried to like other clubs but with zero success. The only thing that gets the blood pumping is when I feel an attachment. So Hibs, Scotland and Blau Weiß Dahlewitz where my 14 year old plays.

It's like the Harry Potter hat, once you've been allocated your team it's for life.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2023, 07:14 AM
I know someone who originally supported Dunfermline, but chose Hibs for the glory.Lost a lot of respect for him, at least his son is pure Hibs.

BoltonHibee
10-11-2023, 07:20 AM
I know someone who originally supported Dunfermline, but chose Hibs for the glory.Lost a lot of respect for him, at least his son is pure Hibs.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] your nose is getting bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newcastlehibby
10-11-2023, 07:22 AM
I moved to Newcastle in 1977 aged 22. After 12 years of watching Shankly’s teams to the Tornadoes, the lure of the English 1st division was not remotely attractive. I’ve paid to get into St James’ Park once since then and that was because my nephew was down visiting. I’m still living in Newcastle, still a hibby and always will be.

darwenhibby
10-11-2023, 05:40 PM

If it’s the same guy he got a season ticket for man united then a box at Bolton
I hear you can see him hanging around the pubs in Manchester’s northern quarter before City games

ErinGoBraghHFC
10-11-2023, 06:01 PM

He’s a ****in ***** glory hunter then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
10-11-2023, 06:15 PM
My hoose is a Hibs community in a far off place. Well except for my wife who supports Spurs but I'm not responsible for her poor judgement.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2023, 06:34 PM
If it’s the same guy he got a season ticket for man united then a box at Bolton
I hear you can see him hanging around the pubs in Manchester’s northern quarter before City games

:greengrin :agree:

04Sauzee
10-11-2023, 06:39 PM

Moved away from Edinburgh around 20 years ago, can walk to East End Park in 20-30 minutes. Can get to Perth, Dundee, St Mirren and Livingston in about the same time it takes to get to ER, In some cases quicker. Couldn't imagine supporting any one else.

Keith_M
10-11-2023, 06:50 PM
It's all about emotional attachment. I've tried to like other clubs but with zero success. The only thing that gets the blood pumping is when I feel an attachment. So Hibs, Scotland and Blau Weiß Dahlewitz where my 14 year old plays.

It's like the Harry Potter hat, once you've been allocated your team it's for life.

I thought you supported Bayern?

:duck:

Manxhibs
10-11-2023, 06:56 PM
Born in Edinburgh, however, I moved to the Isle of Man when I was 9 and have been here 26 years. The remainder of my family live in Canada and every weekend we tune into Hibs TV (dad and brother even get up at 4:30am for those early kick offs).

It’s in our blood and despite the obvious ups and downs, we will continue to support them through thin and thin.

Islington Hibs
10-11-2023, 07:43 PM
I was brought up in Edinburgh and since my first game in 1977 high in the old main terrace (0-0 draw against Aberdeen with Ally Scott missing a sitter) there has only been one team win, lose or draw.

Living in Islington now but I still get to a few games each season and genuinely like what I see. Occasionally watch Arsenal, who might be technically much better but frankly you can keep it. Hibees til I die!

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2023, 07:47 PM
I was brought up in Edinburgh and since my first game in 1977 high in the old main terrace (0-0 draw against Aberdeen with Ally Scott missing a sitter) there has only been one team win, lose or draw.

Living in Islington now but I still get to a few games each season and genuinely like what I see. Occasionally watch Arsenal, who might be technically much better but frankly you can keep it. Hibees til I die!

You have to mention his full name when mentioning Ally ****in Scott.

Bostonhibby
10-11-2023, 08:18 PM
You have to mention his full name when mentioning Ally ****in Scott.Aw naw, someone mentioned Ally Scott again. I have to go back into therapy.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
10-11-2023, 08:22 PM
You have to mention his full name when mentioning Ally ****in Scott.

Probably the most common middle name Hibs players have had throughout our history....

ChilliEater
11-11-2023, 01:54 AM
Probably the most common middle name Hibs players have had throughout our history....

Very true - yet the inflection is so obviously, yet subtley, different between, say, Ally ****in Scott and Scotty ****in Allan :greengrin

McHibby
11-11-2023, 02:18 AM
I moved to Cambridgeshire 12 years ago. Not one cell in my body could even have imagined no longer supporting Hibs. My dad's side of the family, going back four generations, are Hibees. He started taking me in the late '80s, I had a season ticket in the old East Stand before moving to England, and I still come home for games whenever I can.

Last week, my mum presented me with a scrapbook I made after we won the Skol Cup! I could not believe she still had it. On one page, I wrote that Hibs were the best team in the world. As mad as is it sounds, I still feel the same way (well, maybe best club in the world rather than best team... I think 10-year-old me thought the League Cup was on a par with the European Cup :faf:).

They are my team. Always will be.

Haymaker
11-11-2023, 04:09 AM
I grew up in England and moved to the US two months after The Glorious Day in May.

Dad pretty much brainwashed me into being a Hibs fan but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Growing up outside of Mussy where my family are from, I was the only Hibs fan at school among legions of Man United (I grew up just outside South London so of course), Liverpool (of course, those southern scousers), Arsenal and Palace fans. Had a PE teacher who was a Attila, so at least we had some banter!

I do vaguely follow West Ham, and I regularly attend Energy Drink FC now I live here but it is not the same as the feeling I have had getting the bus from Mussy, going to a pub in Leith and walking up to Easter Road.

I never had the deep connection my dad did, I didn't go every week as a kid obviously, but I will always be a Hibs fan. I'm deeply proud of it, our history and our roots. I may have grown up away from it but I am a hibs fan. A hibs fan, a scotsman and damn proud of both.

HoboHarry
11-11-2023, 04:20 AM
I grew up in England and moved to the US two months after The Glorious Day in May.

Dad pretty much brainwashed me into being a Hibs fan but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Growing up outside of Mussy where my family are from, I was the only Hibs fan at school among legions of Man United (I grew up just outside South London so of course), Liverpool (of course, those southern scousers), Arsenal and Palace fans. Had a PE teacher who was a Attila, so at least we had some banter!

I do vaguely follow West Ham, and I regularly attend Energy Drink FC now I live here but it is not the same as the feeling I have had getting the bus from Mussy, going to a pub in Leith and walking up to Easter Road.

I never had the deep connection my dad did, I didn't go every week as a kid obviously, but I will always be a Hibs fan. I'm deeply proud of it, our history and our roots. I may have grown up away from it but I am a hibs fan. A hibs fan, a scotsman and damn proud of both.
Hope all is well up there mate and youre preparing for winter in the frozen winterlands. 13C here today and the wife and son are wrapped in blankets and yapping about being freezing :greengrin

Haymaker
11-11-2023, 04:23 AM
Hope all is well up there mate and youre preparing for winter in the frozen winterlands. 13C here today and the wife and son are wrapped in blankets and yapping about being freezing :greengrin

Dropped to 40 this evening, high of 48 on Sunday (that's Freedomheit for those looking in). Got the gloves out and big jacket. Digging in for the winter! Will be visiting my parents for Xmas so that's my warm weather vacation for the year!

surreyhibbie
11-11-2023, 12:24 PM

:top marks

Have lived down South for over 40 years but still live and breathe Hibs.

Don't understand how anyone can change..

surreyhibbie
11-11-2023, 12:27 PM

:thumbsup: