PDA

View Full Version : Murray Johnson

21sMay
05-11-2023, 08:04 PM
The gaffer likes to give youth a chance. I think it's time to play Murray , seen him many times and he's definitely capable of being our number 1 . Just needs the chance . Outstanding shot stopper and commands his box well .

Viva_Palmeiras
05-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Does he not need to be recalled from loan first?

BlackSheep
05-11-2023, 08:16 PM
Does he not need to be recalled from loan first?

He was recalled during our time in Europe when both Marshall and Wallacott were injured.

He is due to return to QotS on loan in January though.

Pretty Boy
05-11-2023, 08:21 PM
He was recalled during our time in Europe when both Marshall and Wallacott were injured.

He is due to return to QotS on loan in January though.

High likelihood big Marv will be emptied in the next couple of weeks, a lot of fans calling for his head. Wonder if that will have any impact on the deal?

LewysGot2
05-11-2023, 08:38 PM
I think Boruc is ahead of him at present.

PHeffernan
05-11-2023, 08:57 PM
High likelihood big Marv will be emptied in the next couple of weeks, a lot of fans calling for his head. Wonder if that will have any impact on the deal?

They drew with top of the table Falkirk yesterday with MacIntyre at left back and McClelland at centre half alongside Ambrose.

21sMay
05-11-2023, 10:33 PM
I think Boruc is ahead of him at present.

Shouldn't be

TrinityHFC
05-11-2023, 10:58 PM
Shouldn't be

He’s just a young guy. Hopefully has a big future ahead of him but it’s a big learning curve in that position. Nothing to suggest he should be playing at this level just yet.

LewysGot2
06-11-2023, 06:20 PM
He’s just a young guy. Hopefully has a big future ahead of him but it’s a big learning curve in that position. Nothing to suggest he should be playing at this level just yet.

Yup, he's potentially got a big career ahead of him and goalies can play on longer than most. There's no rush. Boruc looks physically and possibly mentally more mature at this stage.

Onceinawhile
06-11-2023, 09:21 PM
Not sure why we're happy to stick 16 year old right backs and strikers on the pitch, but an 18 year old keeper seems to be an issue.

Centre Hawf
06-11-2023, 09:59 PM
Not sure why we're happy to stick 16 year old right backs and strikers on the pitch, but an 18 year old keeper seems to be an issue.

I do think there's a little bit of a difference in using young outfielders to a goalkeeper. If Johnson was to make a mistake early doors into his Hibs career I would be worried for him long term, I'd almost prefer he went out and made those mistake at Edinburgh City or someone like that.

For what its worth as well I've not been too keen on the use of Whittaker and Landers so often and so early into their careers at the club considering the speed at which is took Josh O'Connor/Laidlaw/Aiken/Megwa etc to all get a chance despite the success they were having at youth level. Feels like a bit of a PR exercise from the clubs point of view because of how badly academy prospects have been managed previously.

Iain G
07-11-2023, 05:18 AM

Would be more likely we would use Boruc than Johnson right ow if we were to put a younger, inexperienced keeper in.

Iain G
07-11-2023, 05:19 AM
I do think there's a little bit of a difference in using young outfielders to a goalkeeper. If Johnson was to make a mistake early doors into his Hibs career I would be worried for him long term, I'd almost prefer he went out and made those mistake at Edinburgh City or someone like that.

For what its worth as well I've not been too keen on the use of Whittaker and Landers so often and so early into their careers at the club considering the speed at which is took Josh O'Connor/Laidlaw/Aiken/Megwa etc to all get a chance despite the success they were having at youth level. Feels like a bit of a PR exercise from the clubs point of view because of how badly academy prospects have been managed previously.

Or it's different manager so different philosophy on bringing younger players through, maybe if he had been here last season those you named would have got pre game time?

Centre Hawf
07-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Or it's different manager so different philosophy on bringing younger players through, maybe if he had been here last season those you named would have got pre game time?

I think there is a bit of that to be fair. But I imagine after last season (Ethan Laidlaw leaving for example) it was probably something the club has focused it's efforts on more with this appointment and perhaps part of NM's objectives from the club.

Unseen work
07-11-2023, 11:43 AM
I just don’t think he’s quite ready yet.

Also think it’s different playing a 18 year old goalie compared to a 18 year old midfielder for example

The_Exile
07-11-2023, 12:01 PM
Essentially, if you're good enough, you're old enough. They will know when he's ready to go.

Having said that, didn't we chuck Andy McNeil between the sticks quite young? I seem to remember there being a lot of pressure on the lad as he had come after the likes of <shudders> Zibi and Simon Brown, then lost his place quite inexplicably to Ma-Kalambay. 18 years old is very young for a keeper to take on the unique challenges that come with the position at a top side mind you.