PDA

View Full Version : Best Formation and Team with the squad we have…

BlackSheep
05-11-2023, 07:44 PM
It has been discussed over and over and over but I really wish Monty would give the following a try… it allows us to have the strongest 11 on the park and suits every player in the starting 11.

Marshall/Wallacott

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Jeggo
Newell
Levitt

Boyle
Vente
Youan

This team and formation allows us to be so flexible in all states of play.

Defensively Jeggo drops to cover the defence as do Boyle and Youan, forming a 541 type style.

When we attack and our full backs bomb forward, Jeggo again drops in to form a 343, with the full backs becoming wing backs and allowing us to blitz the opposition.

I’m neutral play we retain the 433 formation and everybody plays how and where they should.

I hope Monty eventually realises that while the 442 is good… this style will utilise the squad at its strongest.

Stubbsy90+2
05-11-2023, 07:46 PM
That would be my team.

Trinity Hibee
05-11-2023, 07:47 PM
I think you’ve nailed it above. Problem is we do not have strength in depth at all. We need to look at bringing in a keeper in the January window who can be no.1. Marshall will be out of contract soon and wollacott doesn’t fill me with confidence.

BlackSheep
05-11-2023, 07:49 PM
I agree our depth is tested when playing to this system but that’s what the January window can be used for.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 08:21 PM
First thing I would do is stop playing Marshall completely. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the team.

Then I’d play a front three of Boyle, Vente and Youan.

From defence to middle I’m less sure because I just don’t think the quality is as good as others believe. The number of goals we have lost this season isn’t all down to how we set up. We’ve lost too many and made too many mistakes in varying formations and you can take that right back to the first game of the season in Andorra.

If I was pushed for our strongest team it would probably be the one in the OP. I just don’t think it’s as simple as changing the shape and it solving our problems, last night being the prime example. We’re simply not clinical enough at either end of the pitch and that ain’t going to change whatever shape we play.

Smartie
05-11-2023, 11:56 PM
I have my reservations about Hibs playing 433 / 451 but tbh in the face of overwhelming evidence I’ve been won over.

How the central midfielders line up will be key to it though. I think we’d need to play Levitt in an advanced role with little critical defending to do as he appears to lack the effort and ability to be able to do that part. I know he seemingly prefers to play deeper, which could potentially lead to all 3 central midfielders falling over each other wanting to dictate play from deep and nobody in a more advanced position meaning we struggle to get the ball to our front 3 and find them frozen out of the game.

Smartie
05-11-2023, 11:58 PM
First thing I would do is stop playing Marshall completely. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the team.

Then I’d play a front three of Boyle, Vente and Youan.

From defence to middle I’m less sure because I just don’t think the quality is as good as others believe. The number of goals we have lost this season isn’t all down to how we set up. We’ve lost too many and made too many mistakes in varying formations and you can take that right back to the first game of the season in Andorra.

If I was pushed for our strongest team it would probably be the one in the OP. I just don’t think it’s as simple as changing the shape and it solving our problems, last night being the prime example. We’re simply not clinical enough at either end of the pitch and that ain’t going to change whatever shape we play.

I agree re Marshall.

Wollacott made a howler the other night which was annoying because he did well otherwise. If that means we persist with Marshall for much longer then that might turn out to be a very costly error indeed.

BlackSheep
06-11-2023, 09:35 AM
I agree re Marshall.

Wollacott made a howler the other night which was annoying because he did well otherwise. If that means we persist with Marshall for much longer then that might turn out to be a very costly error indeed.

I think Wallacott isn't entirely to blame for the Ross County goal.... Fish and Simon Murray clatter into him just as he would have met the ball in the air and that certainly affects his momentum to get a hand to it.

He definitely needs a run of games.