PDA

View Full Version : Who gets in our team?

Kentao1985
05-11-2023, 07:53 AM
I've seen a lot of comments stating big clear out required etc, but out with Celtic and the Rangers who would get into our team.

Marshall (Gordon)

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Boyle
Levitt (OHara)
Newell (Shinnie)
Youan

Vente (Miovski)
Alf (Shankland)

I feel we have a decent team but our game plan is flawed. The amount of times we break the opposition press and get the ball to the halfway line only for it to end up back at Marshall is so frustrating.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Brightside
05-11-2023, 07:59 AM
I've seen a lot of comments stating big clear out required etc, but out with Celtic and the Rangers who would get into our team.

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Boyle
Levitt
Newell
Youan

Vente
Alf

I feel we have a decent team but our game plan is flawed. The amount of times we break the opposition press and get the ball to the halfway line only for it to end up back at Marshall is so frustrating.

Every single Celtic player and most rangers players. As you’d expect.

Mcbizz1998
05-11-2023, 09:48 AM

Did you not read the bit excluding Celtic and rangers players?

LewysGot2
05-11-2023, 09:49 AM
Shinnie

Kentao1985
05-11-2023, 09:51 AM
ShinnieWho are you dropping for Shinnie?

Heedersnvolleys
05-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Who are you dropping for Shinnie?

Not wanting to start another Newell debate but not much between them but previous Aberdeen games and yesterday I know who I would prefer.

hibee1875
05-11-2023, 09:59 AM
Not wanting to start another Newell debate but not much between them but previous Aberdeen games and yesterday I know who I would prefer.

Unfortunately for me Newells position is one we need to have better in if we want third, cups and relative success in Europe.

We all go on about the defence but we need a goal scoring midfielder

Pretty Boy
05-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Football is easy when it is played on paper. In reality the variations on our starting 11 this season has played 20 won 6 drawn 6 and lost 8 in all competitions this season. Good teams tend to be equal to or more than the sum of their parts, we consistently seem less than ours.

The biggest issue is when we have 1 or 2 unavailable. Anyone is going to struggle when you are relying on guys like Campbell and Doidge from the bench along with a couple of talented but raw teenagers.

I couldn't name specifics as tbh I don't know enough about the other teams in our league (and I don't know why we would have to specifically pick from such a limited pool even for the purposes of discussion) but I would happily replace the goalkeeper, a centre back and a striker in that team and would like to see another couple of midfielder come into the squad as well.

LewysGot2
05-11-2023, 11:18 AM

He'd walk into our midfield. He has qualities we seriously lack. It's not about which individual to be honest. He'd be captain.

supermcginn
05-11-2023, 11:56 AM

Read the post again!

Broken Gnome
05-11-2023, 12:07 PM
The problem with our team is that they are 'good' players who generally have lots of likable assets, and are more than capable of having good games.

The serious lack of games that Hibs win - apparent for several years now - indicates they routinely lack the qualities, cutting edge or general will to win. Too often we simply don't find that way to win a game.

I like Newell, Levitt, Jeggo, Youan, Boyle, Miller... I'm even coming round to Rocky. I don't want to say I'd prefer Shinnie, Miovski, Shankland, O'Hara, any of these types. But too often they are the ones you see that manage to get over the line against Hibs and we somehow come up short. That's got to count for something, somehow.

Unseen work
05-11-2023, 12:10 PM
No danger Shinnie gets in the Hibs team ahead of Newell or Levitt for me. Since he’s went back he’s been poor, the Shinnie of a couple of years ago 100%.

Roos, Miovski, Duk all start for us. McGrath, Clarkson and Barron would also start if we had a 3 in midfield.

Plenty in other teams too - Shankland etc

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 12:16 PM

Shinnie, when his team went down to ten men last night, stepped up. Ended up with a break of the ball but he was the one that drove them up the park for the goal. When he needed to foul, he fouled and generally dragged the rest of them along with him. Contrast to our captain for me when something went against us.

Smartie
05-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Shinnie, when his team went down to ten men last night, stepped up. Ended up with a break of the ball but he was the one that drove them up the park for the goal. When he needed to foul, he fouled and generally dragged the rest of them along with him. Contrast to our captain for me when something went against us.

Nail on head.

We're seduced by the odd fancy flick or tidy pass that our players can do but when you take their contribution over 90 minutes, or over 10 games, or look at what they do when the chips are down their contribution is inferior to players it feels tempting to consider their inferior.

BoomtownHibees
05-11-2023, 12:29 PM
No danger Shinnie gets in the Hibs team ahead of Newell or Levitt for me

I think that is the issue with this Hibs team though.

Do I think Shinnie is a better individual player than the 2 you mention? Probably not.

Would he make us a better team if he replaced either of them? 100%

scuttle
05-11-2023, 12:54 PM
I'd take Ohara at St Mirren, miovski Aberdeen,Dhanda Ross co and hate to say it but Shankland and Craig Gordon from them.

JohnM1875
05-11-2023, 01:07 PM
I'd take Ohara at St Mirren, miovski Aberdeen,Dhanda Ross co and hate to say it but Shankland and Craig Gordon from them.

Dhanda always has a good game against us. Wouldn't mind him at all. Could be wrong but think he's out of contract in the summer. Good age as well

eastmainsmsh
05-11-2023, 01:42 PM
Gogic has been playing well for St Mirren was baffled we let him go

JohnM1875
05-11-2023, 02:35 PM
Gogic has been playing well for St Mirren was baffled we let him go

Same to be honest.

expresso
05-11-2023, 02:43 PM
Every other keeper in the league is better plus it’s about the sum of all parts gelling as a team rather than critiquing each individual player.

babahibs
05-11-2023, 03:09 PM
Barron looked decent for Aberdeen yesterday.
Ohara at St Mirren.
Shankland.

Smartie
05-11-2023, 03:57 PM
Same to be honest.

Me too, although Jeggo is doing the sort of stuff that Gogic did and more most weeks.

We missed Gogic more before Jeggo arrived and obviously yesterday, when Jeggo was out.

I liked Gogic, he had something to offer and it was a pretty weird decision to let him go.

JohnM1875
05-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Me too, although Jeggo is doing the sort of stuff that Gogic did and more most weeks.

We missed Gogic more before Jeggo arrived and obviously yesterday, when Jeggo was out.

I liked Gogic, he had something to offer and it was a pretty weird decision to let him go.

Gogic is playing CB for St Mirren these days and bossing it. Always liked him at Hibs

coldingham hibs
05-11-2023, 04:22 PM
No danger Shinnie gets in the Hibs team ahead of Newell or Levitt for me. Since he’s went back he’s been poor, the Shinnie of a couple of years ago 100%.

Roos, Miovski, Duk all start for us. McGrath, Clarkson and Barron would also start if we had a 3 in midfield.

Plenty in other teams too - Shankland etc

Come on, we beat Aberdeen easily at Pitodrie and were significantly better than them yesterday, yet you would take 6 of their players. Really?

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 04:33 PM
Come on, we beat Aberdeen easily at Pitodrie and were significantly better than them yesterday, yet you would take 6 of their players. Really?

They’re ahead of us in the league whilst juggling Europe and are in a League Cup final. They finished in front of us last year.

They look crap at times but they’re currently less crap than us.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2023, 05:38 PM
Shinnie :faf:

No thank you.

Shrekko
05-11-2023, 05:57 PM

Shinnie did nothing yesterday except foul and go down whenever anyone breathed on him. It’s a bit contrived to make out he was some kind of hero for
pulling them through with 10 men for a few minutes. Where was this hero when they were all at sea for most of the game? It’s basically the fact that they scored with their 1st serious chance that’s making this a knee jerk debate.

Our midfield was miles better than theirs for the vast majority of the game. Hibs fans supposedly want players who can play football but yet we’d suddenly rather have this guy in our midfield when Newell and Levitt are far superior footballers.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 06:04 PM
Shinnie did nothing yesterday except foul and go down whenever anyone breathed on him. It’s a bit contrived to make out he was some kind of hero for
pulling them through with 10 men for a few minutes. Where was this hero when they were all at sea for most of the game? It’s basically the fact that they scored with their 1st serious chance that’s making this a knee jerk debate.

Our midfield was miles better than theirs for the vast majority of the game. Hibs fans supposedly want players who can play football but yet we’d suddenly rather have this guy in our midfield when Newell and Levitt are far superior footballers.

Have said on multiple threads, there is a case to be made for all our players individually. Collectively, they don’t work, simple as that.

I’ve never actually said I’d particularly want Shinnie. But when something went against his team yesterday, he stepped up and dragged the rest of them along. His team won. And he’s clearly had a positive impact on them since he returned being key in getting them to third place, European group stages and now a cup final. Still, if our lot look nice on the ball, that’s good.

Shrekko
05-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Have said on multiple threads, there is a case to be made for all our players individually. Collectively, they don’t work, simple as that.

I’ve never actually said I’d particularly want Shinnie. But when something went against his team yesterday, he stepped up and dragged the rest of them along. His team won. And he’s clearly had a positive impact on them since he returned being key in getting them to third place, European group stages and now a cup final. Still, if our lot look nice on the ball, that’s good.

As you know - when we finished 3rd and made a cup final a sizeable section of our fans weren’t having it because we didn’t apparently ‘look nice on the ball’.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take Shinnie, although I think Jeggo is probably as effective at this stage but we need to decide what we actually want because this is dictating who our very easily swayed board are picking as our managers at the moment.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 06:19 PM
As you know - when we finished 3rd and made a cup final a sizeable section of our fans weren’t having it because we didn’t apparently ‘look nice on the ball’.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take Shinnie, although I think Jeggo is probably as effective at this stage but we need to decide what we actually want because this is dictating who our very easily swayed board are picking as our managers at the moment.

Surely we want someone who mixes both rather than making us choose between one or the other? And as you know, there were things within that season (ironically things pretty similar to last night on 3 occasions) that meant people weren’t having it or whatever. Games like last night have a lasting impact for managers.

For me, I think some of the players are getting away with murder with Johnson firstly and now Montgomery getting most of the flack. Some have a reputation which is above their abilities considering how poor we’ve been for so long, except the odd spell here and there.

KingFranck
05-11-2023, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't have Shinnie anywhere near our team. He spends most of the matches moaning at the ref and gets away with it a bit like Miller and McLeish when they played
If he signed for us he'd be booked every game

Winston Ingram
05-11-2023, 06:26 PM
Our starting 11 in a 433 is better than anything the sheep and Hearts can muster imo

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Jeggo
Levitt
Newall

Boyle
Vente
Youan

I’ve heard people spouting pish in defence of Montgomery saying wait until he gets a window, but that team is excellent and if he can’t get that to perform at this level then it’s on him.

Don’t get me wrong, we could probably improve at CB and GK but the rest of that side is excellent.

It will get Boyle and Youan into positions higher up the pitch where they are more effective and get and extra player in midfield to create some actual scoring chances.

babahibs
05-11-2023, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't have Shinnie anywhere near our team. He spends most of the matches moaning at the ref and gets away with it a bit like Miller and McLeish when they played
If he signed for us he'd be booked every game

If Shinnie was a Hibs player he'd be suspended for half the season, gets away with murder for Aberdeen.

Plus, he's no better than what we already have.

WeeRussell
05-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Our starting 11 in a 433 is better than anything the sheep and Hearts can muster imo

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Jeggo
Levitt
Newall

Boyle
Vente
Youan

I’ve heard people spouting pish in defence of Montgomery saying wait until he gets a window, but that team is excellent and if he can’t get that to perform at this level then it’s on him.

Don’t get me wrong, we could probably improve at CB and GK but the rest of that side is excellent.

It will get Boyle and Youan into positions higher up the pitch where they are more effective and get and extra player in midfield to create some actual scoring chances.

I actually quite like the look of that too.

Stubbsy90+2
05-11-2023, 06:35 PM

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Jeggo
Levitt
Newall

Boyle
Vente
Youan

It’s so blatantly obvious. The fact we’re not playing it is criminal.

1875Sean
05-11-2023, 07:58 PM

Marshall (Gordon)

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Boyle
Levitt (OHara)
Newell (Shinnie)
Youan

Vente (Miovski)
Alf (Shankland)

Weird we have one of the worse defence in the league but you didn’t see anyone else in the back four or in goals?

coldingham hibs
05-11-2023, 08:13 PM

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Rocky
Obita

Jeggo
Levitt
Newall

Boyle
Vente
Youan

Agree also, this 4-4-2 nonsense is destroying us. Get the best players in the team and play a formation to suit, not the other way around.

Shrekko
05-11-2023, 09:34 PM
Surely we want someone who mixes both rather than making us choose between one or the other? And as you know, there were things within that season (ironically things pretty similar to last night on 3 occasions) that meant people weren’t having it or whatever. Games like last night have a lasting impact for managers.

For me, I think some of the players are getting away with murder with Johnson firstly and now Montgomery getting most of the flack. Some have a reputation which is above their abilities considering how poor we’ve been for so long, except the odd spell here and there.

I think it would be exceptionally rare for us to get a player that mixed Shinnie’s qualities with a lot of skill.

The trick obviously is to get the blend right.

I don’t think most of our players have necessarily under performed as individuals but I think the balance is way off. We also are badly suffering from having a terrible goalie and a centre half pairing that isn’t settled yet.

Like a lot of people are saying - with the personnel we have we should be playing 4-3-3 which would suit our better players. Hopefully we address our weaknesses during the next window.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2023, 09:40 PM
I think it would be exceptionally rare for us to get a player that mixed Shinnie’s qualities with a lot of skill.

The trick obviously is to get the blend right.

I don’t think most of our players have necessarily under performed as individuals but I think the balance is way off. We also are badly suffering from having a terrible goalie and a centre half pairing that isn’t settled yet.

Like a lot of people are saying - with the personnel we have we should be playing 4-3-3 which would suit our better players. Hopefully we address our weaknesses during the next window.

My comment about mixing the two was to do with the manager finding a way to win games whilst playing in a way that people enjoy (re your previous comments about the what the fans thought when we finished third).

We’re not going to get a complete midfielder but agree the balance of the team hasn’t been right for ages. Still don’t think it’s as simple as a system change though. Results would still be mixed, at best, with this squad as they have been regardless of the system this season and last.

Unseen work
06-11-2023, 06:47 AM

I agree we were much better than them, that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t take some of their players?

Did you see our bench yesterday? We had next to nothing.

Miovski, Duk and Roos would all walk into our team imo. Clarkson, Barron and McGrath would all likely start in a midfield 3 with either Newell/Levitt or be very good competition for places.