31-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Like the guy a lot but that's brutal tonight . His subs where brutal

Gmack7
31-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Some of the changes were baffling, again, he cost us the points tonight

21sMay
31-10-2023, 08:47 PM

Definitely. Hope he is man enough to come out and take the blame. Genuinely think we will do well under him but that was terrible game management

Diclonius
31-10-2023, 08:49 PM
And so it begins.

TrinityHFC
I really like what he’s had to say but every manager talks well to begin with. The way we play is more Maloney than Mowbray I’m afraid and we really shouldn’t be learning ground for how to make subs and close out games. Very concerned that this style isn’t making the most of the strengths we have.

Hibee Daft
He's giving players a chance to see if they are of any use to us before January.

Its frustrating when they dont perform but on flip side Tavares scored tonight and got motm.

Could be a big player for us if he keeps playing and developing

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 08:50 PM
Like the guy a lot but that's brutal tonight . His subs where brutal

It was Similar v St Mirren in the cup and we got away with it. Absolutely woeful management.

Why is Delf getting on? He's been a nightmare everytime he's played this season. Totally defies logic. Raging with that capitulation - if you can't beat Ross County at home then you will struggle to finish in top 6 let alone top 3 or 4.

21sMay
31-10-2023, 08:51 PM
And so it begins.

And so what begins? Blaming the manager for being wrong ? Like I said , I think we will be successful under his guidance but today was his fault . Simple

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 08:52 PM
He's giving players a chance to see if they are of any use to us before January.

Its frustrating when they dont perform but on flip side Tavares scored tonight and got motm.

Could be a big player for us if he keeps playing and developing

He can do that in bounce games or training. Shocking decision making.

Jones28
31-10-2023, 08:52 PM
It was Similar v St Mirren in the cup and we got away with it. Absolutely woeful management.

Why is Delf getting on? He's been a nightmare everytime he's played this season. Totally defies logic. Raging with that capitulation - if you can't beat Ross County at home then you will struggle to finish in top 6 let alone top 3 or 4.

Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves.

Delf has had a nightmare tonight and I’d be surprised to see him get in the team any time soon.

Bizarre subs though, especially taking off Bushiri.

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 08:53 PM
And so it begins.

C'mon mate nothing unfair on this thread so far.

Booked4Being-Ugly
I’m not convinced this managers any better than the last few.

Unseen work
Naivety or trusting the players too much.

He seems the type that will try give everyone a chance and believe in them, Delf hasn’t played in months.

Now look, you should be able to make subs at 2-0 up and still win the game, but it’s Scottish football and anything can happen.

He’s won one league game since he came in, surely this was an opprertunity for him to think let’s stay in control and see this game out comfortably.

We desperately need some points on the table

I don’t think he’ll take blame as that will infer the subs were poor, think he’ll make comments we need to defend better as a team

brianmc
He can do that in bounce games or training. Shocking decision making.
Naw he cannae. That's just pish.

21sMay

That's unfair tbh

allmodcons
I have to say that I’m ****ing raging with his performance tonight.

Coasting at 2v0 and he basically starts to treat a crucial league game like a ****ing friendly.

Embarrassing tactics and, for me, extremely worrying.

Stubbsy90+2
31-10-2023, 08:54 PM

Early days so the jury is still out but he’s certainly done little to say he is so far. Theres been nowhere near the improvement folk have been claiming there’s been imo.

Jones28

How?

LaMotta
Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves.

Delf has had a nightmare tonight and I’d be surprised to see him get in the team any time soon.

Bizarre subs though, especially taking off Bushiri.

Delf may be good in training, I don't know, but he looks like he cant handle games in front of crowds.

21sMay

He seems the type that will try give everyone a chance and believe in them, Delf hasn’t played in months.

Now look, you should be able to make subs at 2-0 up and still win the game, but it’s Scottish football and anything can happen.

He’s won one league game since he came in, surely this was an opprertunity for him to think let’s stay in control and see this game out comfortably.

Spot on

delbert
And so it begins.

And rightly so, nobody is bigger than the club and there should be no free passes !

Hibernian Verse
31-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Delf may be good in training, I don't know, but he looks like he cant handle games in front of crowds.

He looks like he’s perusing a cocktail menu on a sunlounger whenever he’s on the ball. Never seen a player look so relaxed and slow when he’s not good enough to get away with it.

Tyler Durden
31-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Totally managers fault tonight.

Keeping Stevenson on the park was as bad a decision as taking Rocky and Jeggo off.

Delferriere is not up to this level. End of story

greenginger
31-10-2023, 08:56 PM

Would the manager be making these changes if we didn’t have a semifinal on Saturday ?

Maybe trying to save legs and thought we could run the game down.

LaMotta
Naw he cannae. That's just pish.

Are you kidding? If he's watched previous videos of Delf this season (which he should have) then he would have seen how out of his depth he looked.

What's pish is us throwing away a 2 goal lead at home v one of the worst teams in the league.

Northernhibee
He looks like he’s perusing a cocktail menu on a sunlounger whenever he’s on the ball. Never seen a player look so relaxed and slow when he’s not good enough to get away with it.

I see the complete opposite. Sheer, blind panic and blooter it in any direction possible. Was the same in the first game of the season.

Jones28
31-10-2023, 08:57 PM

So how’s the manager to know if he can handle it if he doesn’t give him the chance?

He comes on at 2 up and we’re cruising, has a nightmare, doesn’t take much for the whole thing to unravel.

The managers made the change but nobodies envisaging what happens next are they?

I do repeat though, the changes were too much, too deep and not necessary changes to make.

TrinityHFC
31-10-2023, 08:57 PM
That's unfair tbh

It would be hard to be ‘convinced’ at this stage surely?

The Tubs
31-10-2023, 08:58 PM
Too many changes at the same time.

21sMay
Btw first goal is keepers fault . Terrible

Hibernian Verse
I see the complete opposite. Sheer, blind panic and blooter it in any direction possible. Was the same in the first game of the season.

Can’t say I’ve seen that in him. Plenty misplaced passes but they’re usually casually knocked in the wrong direction.

SaulGoodman
31-10-2023, 08:59 PM
Would the manager be making these changes if we didn’t have a semifinal on Saturday ?

Well.. he’s done it before.

21sMay
31-10-2023, 08:59 PM
It would be hard to be ‘convinced’ at this stage surely?

Minus tonight I like the guy . There has been improvement. Tonight is his fault with stupid subs but overall I think we are improving

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 09:00 PM
So how’s the manager to know if he can handle it if he doesn’t give him the chance?

He comes on at 2 up and we’re cruising, has a nightmare, doesn’t take much for the whole thing to unravel.

The managers made the change but nobodies envisaging what happens next are they?

I do repeat though, the changes were too much, too deep and not necessary changes to make.

Well because as Hibs manager coming in he should be aware of his previous performance this season where he was ****in diabolical and looked way out his depth ( he has access to all the footage of all the games). The game was in the balance at 2 nil, it was a ridiculous sub.

And why would he not envisage what happens next? He did the same thing v St Mirren and we went to pot too. Boyle got us out of jail that night.

TrinityHFC
31-10-2023, 09:00 PM

Well look, you can say the same about the opening league games when we were playing in Europe but the manager carries the can ultimately. It is early but Hibs managers do not fare well when the football is dull and the results are also not there.

Smartie
31-10-2023, 09:01 PM
Lucky for him he gets a honeymoon period as there are already a few poor results / performances where the blame can be laid squarely at his door.

Overall he definitely gets the benefit of the doubt but already I feel like whilst we might be a bit short of having alarm bells ringing, there are one or two signs showing that we maybe need to be concerned about.

That said, the squad's just not good enough. The squad players cost us at Tynecastle on the last day of last season, we didn't improve our depth and when we have to rely on the depth of our squad the players are being found wanting. We needed to rotate the squad, we needed to be mindful of Saturday and we've been found wanting, just like we did under Johnson at the start of the season.

There's the core of a great side there but our more peripheral players need to be contributing more, and it doesn't help our first picks when they are so clearly superior to the alternatives.

Tyler Durden
31-10-2023, 09:02 PM
Well.. he’s done it before.

Not only the number of subs, but the regular subbing of Hanlon/Rocky. WTF is that about?

There’s a reason that teams don’t sub centre backs in the same fashion you might a forward player FFS. He needs to stop it

McGruber
I have to say that I’m ****ing raging with his performance tonight.

Coasting at 2v0 and he basically starts to treat a crucial league game like a ****ing friendly.

Embarrassing tactics and, for me, extremely worrying.

That's exactly what it was like with those subs, treated as a friendly. Best desrcibed as amateur from Monty.

FC1875
We need to be picking up the 3 points in these games. The performance doesn't really matter, the points are more important.

Seemed to be giving players 'minutes' tonight which totally backfired. Why sub centre backs?

Jones28
31-10-2023, 09:04 PM
Well because as Hibs manager coming in he should be aware of his previous performance this season where he was ****in diabolical and looked way out his depth ( he has access to all the footage of all the games). The game was in the balance at 2 nil, it was a ridiculous sub.

And why would he not envisage what happens next? He did the same thing v St Mirren and we went to pot too. Boyle got us out of jail that night.

That one game he had under a different manager, that’s what he’s to judge him on?

He wouldn’t envisage it happening because if he did he wouldn’t give him the chance. Delf has earned the managers trust in training/bounce games and he’s given him a chance. I don’t know what else there is to say, it clearly didn’t work but it doesn’t always.

FC1875
31-10-2023, 09:06 PM
Minus tonight I like the guy . There has been improvement. Tonight is his fault with stupid subs but overall I think we are improving

I dont want a manager that we like. I just want a manager that wins.

dmc1875
31-10-2023, 09:07 PM
That's exactly what it was like with those subs, treated as a friendly. Best desrcibed as amateur from Monty.

He got away with it against st Mirren but not tonight. Amateur hour stuff

21sMay
31-10-2023, 09:07 PM
I dont want a manager that we like. I just want a manager that wins.

Don't we all

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 09:08 PM
That one game he had under a different manager, that’s what he’s to judge him on?

He wouldn’t envisage it happening because if he did he wouldn’t give him the chance. Delf has earned the managers trust in training/bounce games and he’s given him a chance. I don’t know what else there is to say, it clearly didn’t work but it doesn’t always.

Delf should be nowhere near a Hibs shirt after that performance earlier in the season - it was one of the most out of depth I've seen from a Hibs player.

And we were only 2 nil up. He's taken superior players off and left superior players on the bench. We've thrown away the game. Absolute madness. Not just that but changing centre halves as well.

It's the managers job to make it work and there are some worrying signs as others have said. The fact he didn't envisage that happening is the problem - it his job to do so.

eastmainsmsh
31-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Think he was saving players for sat at 2-0 up and it backfired will know himself

Baader
31-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Unless centre backs are injured I don't understand why you sub them off when you are winning. The triangle between goalkeeper and centre backs (arguably the whole back five but certainly that three) is the one part in football that probably needs the most consistency.

TrinityHFC
31-10-2023, 09:10 PM

Improving on what? The 3 games we lost when also playing in Europe? Yes, probably. Are we better than when we’ve been playing well last 12 months with Youan and Boyle using their pace and having 20 plus shots on goal most weeks. Probably not. I thought we were expecting much better with this squad otherwise what did we change manager for? I do like him and what he’s had to say but I’ve been there before. It has to be shown on the pitch.

Hibee Daft
31-10-2023, 09:11 PM
Think he was saving players for sat at 2-0 up and it backfired will know himself

Of course he was, this was chance for players to prove themselves to the manager. I dont see it as bad management

Hibees1973
31-10-2023, 09:12 PM
I remember him saying at the weekend that loads of players have been knocking on his door wanting to play.

Well, he certainly did that tonight. Bringing on loads of subs, to give all his players a game.

Montgomery totally disrupted the team and the end result was a shambles.

21sMay
31-10-2023, 09:12 PM
Of course he was, this was chance for players to prove themselves to the manager. I dont see it as bad management

His jobs to win football games . It's bad management

JohnM1875
31-10-2023, 09:14 PM

Saving players for Saturday? He ended up bringing on two that'll definitely start on Saturday in Boyle and Newell.

Subs were absolutely honking and threw what momentum we had away.

Ozyhibby
1 win in 7 since he arrived? Not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee Daft

It doesnt happen overnight, part of it is finding out which players you can rely on.

Stubbsy90+2

:agree:

Hardly winning any games but being nice enough to let everyone have a shot is absolutely bad management.

21sMay
31-10-2023, 09:16 PM
It doesnt happen overnight, part of it is finding out which players you can rely on.

Can't agree with that , he has a perfectly able squad to win these kind of games . Blame lies at his door tonight . He will know it. Could be a good thing overall

Diclonius
Proposal: we randomly select a poster from the "Hibs manager out" thread to manage the team, and replace them with another user every time we fail to win a game. Fool-proof.

Baader
I remember him saying at the weekend that loads of players have been knocking on his door wanting to play.

Well, he certainly did that tonight. Bringing on loads of subs, to give all his players a game.

Montgomery totally disrupted the team and the end result was a shambles.

Yep. The time to assess them is in training. Not in games. I like Monty and I'm behind him but work to be done it seems...

Unseen work
What I will say in his defence, is that the last thing he probably expects is for his goalie to come for a cross, miss it and it to hit off his sub and end it up in the back of the net

Mcbizz1998
The second I saw the team sheet I was worried. Drop your captain, first choice keeper along with Boyle and Obita, why? This isn’t a league and this isn’t currently a Hibs team where you can afford to drop your best players. We get a lead and then he proceeds to treat the rest of the game like a friendly, subbing off centre half’s for no reason, bringing on fringe players etc.

The attitude was completely wrong and we paid the price. Simply unacceptable and the blame is entirely with the manager.

Murphys Touch
31-10-2023, 09:17 PM

This really - his and his family’s future depend on it. Should not be making amateur decisions like he did tonight

Bread and butter stuff……first major red flag I’m afraid. We need ruthlessness here

coldingham hibs
31-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Lucky for him he gets a honeymoon period as there are already a few poor results / performances where the blame can be laid squarely at his door.

Overall he definitely gets the benefit of the doubt but already I feel like whilst we might be a bit short of having alarm bells ringing, there are one or two signs showing that we maybe need to be concerned about.

That said, the squad's just not good enough. The squad players cost us at Tynecastle on the last day of last season, we didn't improve our depth and when we have to rely on the depth of our squad the players are being found wanting. We needed to rotate the squad, we needed to be mindful of Saturday and we've been found wanting, just like we did under Johnson at the start of the season.

There's the core of a great side there but our more peripheral players need to be contributing more, and it doesn't help our first picks when they are so clearly superior to the alternatives.

Beginning to think it’s back to square one, incredibly still losing ridiculous goals game after game with a raft of managers incapable of stopping it. Today was an awful performance , a fortunate first goal in a terribly poor first half. Second half capitulation was embarrassing.

Since452
31-10-2023, 09:18 PM
Saturday is huge for him now. Needs to try and figure out a way to win the game and if he is winning it then don't inexplicably change it.

Exuberance1875
31-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Saturday is huge for the manager in the fact he must play his number 1 keeper

FC1875
31-10-2023, 09:19 PM
1 win in 7 since he arrived? Not good enough.

Well below what we expected when he arrived.

2 wins in 11 now having played every opponent in the league.

Well below where we expected to be at the start of the season.

babahibs
31-10-2023, 09:21 PM
Tonights dropped points are all on the manager, absolutely shocking subs.
That was a league game, points at stake.
It wasn't a friendly.

DinkyTwo
31-10-2023, 09:21 PM
What a way to throw away the credit he put in the bank last weekend.

We don't have good enough players, or even those that are experienced enough in the system we're trying to play, to change the spine of the Team so drastically.

I don't think any of us would have predicted that the subs made would have had such a profound effect on the outcome of the game, but they did. It's a harsh lesson, one that I hope Montgomery remembers.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jones28
31-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Can’t fault what he’s saying on the radio.

Stubbsy90+2
31-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Saturday is huge for the manager in the fact he must play his number 1 keeper

Who’s that? Unless you mean the literal number 1.

I genuinely don’t have a clue who I’d play on Saturday. I’d probably stick with Wollacott in the hope tonight was a one off but it was a shocker.

Smartie
31-10-2023, 09:24 PM
The second I saw the team sheet I was worried. Drop your captain, first choice keeper along with Boyle and Obita, why? This isn’t a league and this isn’t currently a Hibs team where you can afford to drop your best players. We get a lead and then he proceeds to treat the rest of the game like a friendly, subbing off centre half’s for no reason, bringing on fringe players etc.

The attitude was completely wrong and we paid the price. Simply unacceptable and the blame is entirely with the manager.

This is my issue and it smacks of complacency.

There ARE weaker teams in our league and these games need to be approached with a certain amount of aggression and positivity. Games aren't over at 2-0 though and I'm concerned at how we've managed to go from comfortable to very uncomfortable in a couple of home games already.

Hibees1973
31-10-2023, 09:25 PM
He brought on 3 subs when we were 2 up.

Then at 2-2 brought on another 2 subs to try and regain momentum.

Managerial disaster for Montgomery tonight. MacKay took the p*ss out of him.

He better learn quickly the players he can trust then drop the ones who let him down, for good. That was a real eye opener tonight.

Clarence
Can’t fault what he’s saying on the radio.

What he say?

Swedish hibee
He got it wrong at Ibrox. Got it wrong tonight. He'll learn from it.

B.H.F.C
31-10-2023, 09:26 PM
I thought it was terrible from him in the second half. Quite simply, IMO, he thought the game was done and dusted. We are, clearly, not good enough to think like that.

Jones28
What he say?

A lot, the jist of it was he takes responsibility, everyone gets a chance and the game was poorly managed.

21sMay
Should never have taken off jeggo

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 09:28 PM
Who’s that? Unless you mean the literal number 1.

I genuinely don’t have a clue who I’d play on Saturday. I’d probably stick with Wollacott in the hope tonight was a one off but it was a shocker.

We can't trust either of them, but I think he will go with Marshall after that.

Not In The Know
31-10-2023, 09:28 PM

I don’t think he’ll take blame as that will infer the subs were poor, think he’ll make comments we need to defend better as a team
He won that game then lost it (obvs). He won it having a non first choice team being well drilled and cohesive. Then iam afraid to say totally underrated the opposition. He’s smart I like him and his staff. They won’t do it again.

Heisenberg
31-10-2023, 09:29 PM
A lot, the jist of it was he takes responsibility, everyone gets a chance and the game was poorly managed.

Hopefully he’s learned his lesson, sounds like he knows he’s made a **** of it.

TrinityHFC
31-10-2023, 09:30 PM
He won that game then lost it (obvs). He won it having a non first choice team being well drilled and cohesive. Then iam afraid to say totally underrated the opposition. He’s smart I like him and his staff. They won’t do it again.

Won’t they? It isn’t really the first time - and I think we were somehow in front despite being a very long way from cohesive.

Ozyhibby
31-10-2023, 09:31 PM
He got it wrong at Ibrox. Got it wrong tonight. He'll learn from it.

We can’t know that. Johnson never learned when he took teams lightly.

Ozyhibby
31-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Should never have taken off jeggo

Whatever his faults, we are a better team when he is on the pitch.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2023, 09:35 PM
I defended the performance at HT and at 2-0 up I felt vindicated as I thought we started the 2nd half well and would either get another one or see it out.

The he made the subs. As soon as the first changes were made we were nervy in and out of possession, that manifested itself in sloppiness and silly mistakes and we paid the price.

He'll hopefully have learned that there are 2 or 3 he just can't trust tonight. He needs to learn something about himself as well though.

Clarence
31-10-2023, 09:43 PM

Sounds about right.

SON OF PADDY
31-10-2023, 09:48 PM

It felt like a defeat, I'm not a happy Hibby tonight.

Hibee Mac
31-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Getting a bit bored of watching managers re-learning things we as a fanbase already know. New manager comes along and then it's back to square one with very little continuity of learning from errors.

Monty has learned you cant play a wide open game of football v rangers at Ibrox. Already knew that.

Delferriere not good enough. Already knew that.

Ross county not to be taken for mugs and making subs as if it's in the bag. Already knew that.

Just frustrating more than anything.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Malthibby
31-10-2023, 09:56 PM
And so it begins.

No it doesn't - I want & expect him to be our manager for at least the next two or three years, I like a lot of what he is doing, not least that he appears to
be getting a song out of Jair (he & Levitt were massive positives for us tonight) but that doesn't mean he can't be called out when he gets it wrong.
He had already made some big changes from the weekend and that was working just fine, the ones he made in the second half weakened us considerably,
let County put pressure on us and a bunch of players who are not used to playing with each other didn't cope.
Montgomery appeared to be thinking too much about the semi & presumably thought the game was over at 2:0; unfortunately he found out it
wasn't and I'm sure he will learn from that, I just hope he puts an arm around Delf and gives him some positive vibes because tonight was not
the night to bring him back into the team. He'll have nightmares about those 20-odd minutes but it wasn't his fault he was out there.
We just threw away two points tonight and that's blxxdy annoying but it could have been all three given how bad our defence
was in the last twenty minutes.
Just need to make sure we beat Aberdeen then go on & win the thing.

Benny Brazil
31-10-2023, 10:01 PM

He has zero awareness when he is on the ball - can only play the way he is facing.
Glad to hear Monty say he takes responsibility for tonight and the changes he made

skyehibee
31-10-2023, 10:02 PM
Getting a bit bored of watching managers re-learning things we as a fanbase already know. New manager comes along and then it's back to square one with very little continuity of learning from errors.

Monty has learned you cant play a wide open game of football v rangers at Ibrox. Already knew that.

Ross county not to be taken for mugs and making subs as if it's in the bag. Already knew that.

This is where I’m at too. So sick of managers coming in and giving all these guys chances we all know aren’t good enough.

FC1875
31-10-2023, 10:02 PM

Good post. You would think the managers coming in have studied our previous failings and know our weaknesses.

It just feels like rinse and repeat with each new manager.

The Green Sea
31-10-2023, 10:05 PM
A dire game of football between to really poor sides. One with a mediocre manager who was made to look like a genius by the other manager.

john rossi
31-10-2023, 10:13 PM
He is out of his depth simple should have got experienced manager of spl Robinson or mcinnes would have fit the bill his naivity game management is terrible bottom six with this clown

Iain G
31-10-2023, 10:19 PM
He is out of his depth simple should have got experienced manager of spl Robinson or mcinnes would have fit the bill his naivity game management is terrible bottom six with this clown

What a pile of nonsense. Good to see the clown tag kit already at about 8 weeks into his tenure here.

CallumHibs07
31-10-2023, 10:20 PM
1st of November and we’ve already ****ed any slim chance of 3rd place. 8 points behind st Mirren who have 2 games in hand and playing out their skin. Yet another season of mid table pish in store

Not good enough

Hibs90
31-10-2023, 10:22 PM
1st of November and we’ve already ****ed any slim chance of 3rd place. 8 points behind st Mirren who have 2 games in hand and playing out their skin. Yet another season of mid table pish in store

Not good enough

When are people going to actually start questioning those running the club? And I don't mean the Gordons. I mean those in charge on a day to day basis. Hi Ben.

Unseen work
31-10-2023, 10:25 PM
https://x.com/scotlandsky/status/1719489216181104759?s=46&t=jmxs-mZWT_cnYbURW-GKJw

Good interview here where he touches on subs more

TrinityHFC
31-10-2023, 10:27 PM
https://x.com/scotlandsky/status/1719489216181104759?s=46&t=jmxs-mZWT_cnYbURW-GKJw

Good interview here where he touches on subs more

Good interviews have been shown time and again to be completely detached from good performances or results. I’m getting fed up of liking what managers and players say when they don’t really lead to any improvement on the pitch.

Keepthefaith
31-10-2023, 10:32 PM
jees will you all calm the F down?

it's not like we brought on a load of laddies from the reserves. he should expect Boyle and Hanlon to steady the game for us and I'm pretty sure Delf has been given a new contract, so it's not inappropriate to see what he can do at 2-0 up - its not like we were under pressure at that point. IMO his biggest mistake was not replacing Stevenson with Obita.

I don't think we would have seen the changes we saw had not got a cup semi at the weekend. folk clambering for marshall to be dropped are now being critical of wollocot playing...

its **** that we yet again lost a lead, but imo the manager should have been able to trust the players who came on to do a job. Hanlon looked nervous as hell and tbh both he and Stevenson will have played their last games by the winter break. we need better and I do believe monty will make us better. look at managers who have come in recently down south - Rooney for instance has lost his first 3 games and hasn't had to play the old firm and nearest rivals!

tonight wasn't great and I'm fed up of us not performing to our maximum against teams like county, but knee jerk reactions against the manager are not the answer. he's learning about his squad which will only benefit us going forward as he makes decisions to replace those not up to the job in hand

Criswell
31-10-2023, 10:35 PM
After we seemed to collapse as a functioning team mid-way through the 2nd half, I was quite relieved to get a point in the end.

Nicho87
31-10-2023, 10:40 PM
Sorry just back to Fife via travelling whole of Scotland

That was totally on Monty

If he puts a midfielder on for Alf game over

We were poor even at 2-0 up tonight

Bringing off Rocky and Jeggo was awful

No change in formation will get him sacked or hibs fans wanting him out

Unforgivable tonight

LaMotta
31-10-2023, 10:45 PM
jees will you all calm the F down?

it's not like we brought on a load of laddies from the reserves. he should expect Boyle and Hanlon to steady the game for us and I'm pretty sure Delf has been given a new contract, so it's not inappropriate to see what he can do at 2-0 up - its not like we were under pressure at that point. IMO his biggest mistake was not replacing Stevenson with Obita.

I don't think we would have seen the changes we saw had not got a cup semi at the weekend. folk clambering for marshall to be dropped are now being critical of wollocot playing...

its **** that we yet again lost a lead, but imo the manager should have been able to trust the players who came on to do a job. Hanlon looked nervous as hell and tbh both he and Stevenson will have played their last games by the winter break. we need better and I do believe monty will make us better. look at managers who have come in recently down south - Rooney for instance has lost his first 3 games and hasn't had to play the old firm and nearest rivals!

tonight wasn't great and I'm fed up of us not performing to our maximum against teams like county, but knee jerk reactions against the manager are not the answer. he's learning about his squad which will only benefit us going forward as he makes decisions to replace those not up to the job in hand

I dont see many knee jerk reactions against the manager. Just valid concerns about some of his decision making.

Blindly defending him is as bad as knee jerk reactions.

Vault Boy
31-10-2023, 10:48 PM

Complete and utter nonsense.

Stuart93
31-10-2023, 10:52 PM
I was quite looking forward to the 442 but I don’t think it really suits us.

Despite our results using it, I actually think we looked better in a 433

442 is negating the majority of our attacking threats

RossScott1991
31-10-2023, 10:52 PM
Everyone is soo over the top and reactionary to every single result, whether that’s a new modern fan/football thing or since platforms like social media or forums were introduced.. That was his 8th game in charge, he’s acknowledged his faults with subs today and is a young manager. He’s came in with a clear way of what he wants his team to look like, with abit of fine tuning a few of these draws should have been comfortable wins. It’s not as if there have been many were it’s been backs to the wall and we’ve had to cling on.

He’s got a past it goalkeeper in Marshall. Along with Stevenson and Hanlon who are finished. Rocky as the next best thing to pick from which is frightening in itself for CB and guys like Jeggo on the books

He’s implementing a style and hopefully the tinkering will eventually settle down and this is his way of having a proper look at the squad to shape it up eventually in January / summer for how he wants a Hibs team to look under his philosophy.

People need to calm down, like players when he’s had a stinker you are allowed to offer opinion but some of the shouts about him being the new Calderwood etc are soo l over the top that it’s ridiculous to read. Not even in charge of double figures amount of games hahaha.

Give the guy a chance and be open to new things.

Who’d be a Hibs manager eh

pacoluna
31-10-2023, 11:48 PM

He done the same at Kilmarnock, if he made the subs to save legs for sat he wouldn't have brought Boyle on. His substitutions are bizzare.

Trinity Hibee
01-11-2023, 02:53 AM
He desperately needs wins yet becomes complacent when we are leading. Very odd. Not sure how long this manager will last either.

HoboHarry
01-11-2023, 03:22 AM

Sit doon ya bam before you hurt yourself.

Trinity Hibee
01-11-2023, 03:27 AM
Sit doon ya bam before you hurt yourself.

Thing is from what we’ve seen so far it’s difficult to argue with that. He’s just another incompetent manager on the merry go round. He’ll be gone by the summer and we’ll get another one in

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2023, 04:27 AM

Why couldn't Robinson or McInnes beat him?

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2023, 04:29 AM
Sorry just back to Fife via travelling whole of Scotland

That was totally on Monty

If he puts a midfielder on for Alf game over

We were poor even at 2-0 up tonight

Bringing off Rocky and Jeggo was awful

No change in formation will get him sacked or hibs fans wanting him out

Unforgivable tonight

Unforgivable :faf:

If he wins the league cup, you won't forgive him for a draw with Ross county? Don't be ****ing stupid.

Since90+2
01-11-2023, 05:03 AM
He's inherited an absolutely pish squad. A handful of players are good enough for Hibs, the rest are either completely finished or were never good enough in the first place.

MKHIBEE
01-11-2023, 05:24 AM
And breathe

Nicho87
01-11-2023, 05:33 AM
Unforgivable :faf:

If he wins the league cup, you won't forgive him for a draw with Ross county? Don't be ****ing stupid.

Easy to say about winning a cup

Monty lost us the points tonight with stubbornness not putting an extra man in midfield at 2-0 up when everyone could see that’s all it would have taken.

I think it’s completly fair comment. Teams are already sussing. 1 league win backs that.

Heisenberg
01-11-2023, 05:39 AM

Monty lost us the points tonight with stubbornness not putting an extra man in midfield at 2-0 up when everyone could see that’s all it would have taken.

I think it’s completly fair comment. Teams are already sussing. 1 league win backs that.

We were 2-0 up and in complete control playing that system. Subbing off first team players for backups that aren’t good enough was the problem. Jeggo for Delf saw a massive drop in quality and control in the middle of the pitch.

Since452
01-11-2023, 05:48 AM

Vente has been pretty anonymous in this system. In saying that, 442 wasn't the problem last night. It was making unnecessary subs to the spine of the team when we were in complete control. It backfired against St Mirren too but Boyle rescued us. He got a bit of credit for holding Celtic to a draw but other than that it's been largely mediocre. A huge chance to take a feel good factor in to the semi and he did the opposite by treating last night like a friendly. That's three bang average spl teams he's failed to beat. Two of them after being 2-0 up. Six points dropped. Poor.

Springbank
01-11-2023, 05:53 AM
The subs were disrespectful to the league & the opposition- Nick got what he deserved

You can't play a near full B team in this league

Delferriere should have been subbed off for Newell.

Brutal, but that's top flight management & montgomery got it shockingly wrong

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 05:53 AM

Think you are describing yourself there.

Winston Ingram
01-11-2023, 05:55 AM
He's inherited an absolutely pish squad. A handful of players are good enough for Hibs, the rest are either completely finished or were never good enough in the first place.

Absolute nonsense. Our defence could do with improvement but in front that, the players we have fit are are better imo than what the rest of the league have on offer.

Unfortunately, the boy who’s setting the team up, ****** off to Oz 15 years ago and is applying tactics that were last seen working long before he left.

Trinity Hibee
01-11-2023, 05:56 AM
Think you are describing yourself there.

The manager changed the keeper for the game, despite Marshall keeping a clean sheet against Celtic and wollacott having been out for months, then took off a DM and a CB at 2-0 up and ****ed it. Not for the first time either.

Winston Ingram
01-11-2023, 05:58 AM

442 doesn’t suit anyone, which is why no one with the intention of playing attacking football has played that way for 15-20 years.

It’s a horse for a course. Never a go to formation.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 06:01 AM
Everyone is soo over the top and reactionary to every single result, whether that’s a new modern fan/football thing or since platforms like social media or forums were introduced.. That was his 8th game in charge, he’s acknowledged his faults with subs today and is a young manager. He’s came in with a clear way of what he wants his team to look like, with abit of fine tuning a few of these draws should have been comfortable wins. It’s not as if there have been many were it’s been backs to the wall and we’ve had to cling on.

He’s got a past it goalkeeper in Marshall. Along with Stevenson and Hanlon who are finished. Rocky as the next best thing to pick from which is frightening in itself for CB and guys like Jeggo on the books

He’s implementing a style and hopefully the tinkering will eventually settle down and this is his way of having a proper look at the squad to shape it up eventually in January / summer for how he wants a Hibs team to look under his philosophy.

People need to calm down, like players when he’s had a stinker you are allowed to offer opinion but some of the shouts about him being the new Calderwood etc are soo l over the top that it’s ridiculous to read. Not even in charge of double figures amount of games hahaha.

Give the guy a chance and be open to new things.

Who’d be a Hibs manager eh

Good post clearly decisions were made last night which didn't work out however we still should have had enough on the pitch to see out a game. Never good when subs clearly make the team on the pitch weaker. Not a lot he can do if a goalie totally misjudges a cross for example.

Libby Hibby
01-11-2023, 06:05 AM
Pre match, NM talked about respecting the opposition who has an experienced manager and it will be a tough game. To make the changes he did pre match to the team, I felt like there were too many but I’d give his selection a chance, we were poor, lucky and ponderous 1st half and got away with it but the second half we were good up to our second goal and then totally disrespected the match and treated it like a friendly. No need really.

I still have faith in Monty, I really do but last night was unnecessary and in the end we could’ve got beat and it would’ve all been on him.

He’ll make up for it on Saturday I’m sure.

Heisenberg
01-11-2023, 06:15 AM
Absolute nonsense. Our defence could do with improvement but in front that, the players we have fit are are better imo than what the rest of the league have on offer.

Unfortunately, the boy who’s setting the team up, ****** off to Oz 15 years ago and is applying tactics that were last seen working long before he left.

Your second point is quite clearly not true. Let’s completely ignore the fact we were doing absolutely fine and 2-0 up playing 4-4-2 before he made the stupid changes. The draw was heehaw to do with the formation.

Pretty Boy
01-11-2023, 06:31 AM

Not good enough

No way is 3rd gone.

Hearts were 15 ahead last season and ended up 3 behind Aberdeen and 2 ahead of us. That's an 18 point swing with Aberdeen and we gained 13 on them too. St Mirren are going to drop points and have a dodgy spell, every team in the league with 2 exceptions has such runs.

It's been nowhere near good enough from Hibs, 11 points through 11 games is a pitiful return but giving up on 3rd with 27 games to go and 81 points to play for is just daft. And I know we have been here before and I wish we were the team who others were trying to catch too etc etc but nothing is decided on the 1st day of November.

thebausburst
01-11-2023, 06:35 AM
No way is 3rd gone.

Hearts were 15 ahead last season and ended up 3 behind Aberdeen and 2 ahead of us. That's an 18 point swing with Aberdeen and we gained 13 on them too. St Mirren are going to drop points and have a dodgy spell, every team in the league with 2 exceptions has such runs.

It's been nowhere near good enough from Hibs, 11 points through 11 games is a pitiful return but giving up on 3rd with 27 games to go and 81 points to play for is just daft. And I know we have been here before and I wish we were the team who others were trying to catch too etc etc but nothing is decided on the 1st day of November.

Very hard to see this Hibs side getting a consistent run of wins tbh, the same issues present in terms of shipping in goals and powderpuff midfield.

Pretty Boy
01-11-2023, 06:38 AM
Very hard to see this Hibs side getting a consistent run of wins tbh, the same issues present in terms of shipping in goals and powderpuff midfield.

Who knows? We have seen in recent times how transformative a good January window can be.

I don't think we'll go all in at that point but a couple of decent additions can elevate you above the swamp of mediocrity that is our competition.

Weir07
01-11-2023, 06:41 AM
Too many changes to the starting line up and poor subs, a very poor game with pedestrian football, had flashbacks to the Maloney era. That said, to me, the goalkeeping error was the biggest factor, that doesn't happen, we win the game. He flapped at another cross after that and seemed to go down in installments to a shot to his left. Marshall from now on with the position urgently addressed in January.

Allant1981
01-11-2023, 06:43 AM

Imposter last week, now a clown

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2023, 06:44 AM

And he'll lose us more points. Did you expect a manager that never made any mistakes?

Trinity Hibee
01-11-2023, 06:45 AM
And he'll lose us more points. Did you expect a manager that never made any mistakes?

Certainly not mistakes that lead to us chucking a 2-0 lead at home to RC.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2023, 06:46 AM
Your second point is quite clearly not true. Let’s completely ignore the fact we were doing absolutely fine and 2-0 up playing 4-4-2 before he made the stupid changes. The draw was heehaw to do with the formation.

Of course it didn’t have anything to do with the shape. We made two subs, in two key positions and the players who came on (Hanlon and Delf) had absolute disasters. No point in arguing with some posters though, they’ll get something in their head and just repeatedly make the point. Same poster used to repeatedly make the point about a 352 being crap.

Whether 442 gets the best out of us is a valid question but it was little to do with us chucking away the lead last night and much more to do with the players playing in it no being very good.

Northernhibee
01-11-2023, 06:55 AM
I’ll be honest, I’m still very happy about Montgomery being Hibs manager. The football is largely more entertaining and we’ve seen a rejuvenation in a few players like Miller, Jair, and to some extent Marshall. We also seem to have more of a game plan that’s taking some getting used to, and youth appears to be getting a chance (see Rory Whittaker).

Needs to cut out the silly stuff like taking off both Rocky and Jeggo at the same time.

RossScott1991
01-11-2023, 07:12 AM
I’ll be honest, I’m still very happy about Montgomery being Hibs manager. The football is largely more entertaining and we’ve seen a rejuvenation in a few players like Miller, Jair, and to some extent Marshall. We also seem to have more of a game plan that’s taking some getting used to, and youth appears to be getting a chance (see Rory Whittaker).

Needs to cut out the silly stuff like taking off both Rocky and Jeggo at the same time.

Where I am at. It just needs abit of fine tuning. Cuts out swapping CBSs during games (which he seems to have realised in post match)

But he has an idea and way of playing. Fans have to have patience and let him build and be his own man.

Patience isn’t a word for the modern fan now however

Nicho87
01-11-2023, 07:17 AM

If he is struggling to see a game out at 2-0 up with 20 to play against Ross county I think we’re in for another manager quite soon

I bet you were clapping at full time eh…

Crunchie
01-11-2023, 07:20 AM
If he is struggling to see a game out at 2-0 up with 20 to play against Ross county I think we’re in for another manager quite soon

It wasn't him who struggled to see the game out, it was captain courageous. He'll learn not to trust him again.

Chorley Hibee
01-11-2023, 07:31 AM

I agree, this is the biggest problem, but we don't help ourselves by trying to play in a style that simply doesn't suit the tools we do have at our disposal.

It won't surprise me if we overlook all the glaring deficiencies in the next transfer window either.

Winston Ingram
01-11-2023, 07:36 AM

Doing fine? We were hopeless. We were 2 up due a wild deflection and our only shot on target. I genuinely don't think we created a chance all night other than Tavares goal. If we are relying on 100% chance conversion rate against the likes of Ross County at home we're in deep trouble.

Northernhibee
01-11-2023, 07:39 AM
It wasn't him who struggled to see the game out, it was captain courageous. He'll learn not to trust him again.

I don’t even think it’s fair to blame Hanlon alone. He had a stinker but so did many in that last twenty minutes.

FWIW, the last twenty reminded me of what it was like under LJ before Jeggo came into the team - and I don’t think it’s coincidental that Jeggo had just gone off. We simply only have JJ to play that role and we can’t expect him to play every minute of every game.

Nicho87
01-11-2023, 07:58 AM

Agree but subbing off a centre half who arguably was having his best game since being at the club was strange

Then can removing Jeggo for a player who has not featured made it worse.

Sheer stubborness to shut up shop putting a midfielder in and see out the win.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Agree but subbing off a centre half who arguably was having his best game since being at the club was strange

Then can removing Jeggo for a player who has not featured made it worse.

Sheer stubborness to shut up shop putting a midfielder in and see out the win.

One thing I did notice with Jeggo was that he went straight down the tunnel so might have been injured. Bringing Delferrière on was strange though. He’s not featured and I think he looks miles away from impacting the first team. Manager thought the game was done and could just see it out with whoever for me.

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2023, 08:06 AM

I wasn't clapping no, but do you think that's some kind of bad thing, to clap your team? Are you for real?

Monty might be hopeless, but he needs more than like 8 games to turn Johnson's mess around. Grow a pair and support him.

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2023, 08:10 AM

Fabulous post

TrinityHFC
01-11-2023, 08:24 AM
I wasn't clapping no, but do you think that's some kind of bad thing, to clap your team? Are you for real?

Monty might be hopeless, but he needs more than like 8 games to turn Johnson's mess around. Grow a pair and support him.

Johnson didn't leave a mess. We needed a bit of defensive tightening and we needed to settle down the team selection but we were a team that was capable of being on the front foot the whole game and creating a lot of chances.

We've lost that just now - we aren't getting the best out of Boyle and Youan, which is huge for us, and Vente isn't getting enough opportunities.

I think just about everyone has bought into what he has been saying and have supported him, but like every other manager, including the one you just mentioned, he will live or die by performances and results. Both need to pick up quite quickly or he will lose the support.

neil7908
01-11-2023, 08:27 AM
He's made some mistakes and he needs to learn quickly but I'm pleased so far.

Too many draws but I think it's much more likely we'll see those turning into wins in the weeks ahead than them turning into losses.

If we can get him a few players in January that can fit his style I think we'll have a good second half of the season.

Golden Bear
01-11-2023, 08:31 AM
Johnson didn't leave a mess. We needed a bit of defensive tightening and we needed to settle down the team selection but we were a team that was capable of being on the front foot the whole game and creating a lot of chances.

We've lost that just now - we aren't getting the best out of Boyle and Youan, which is huge for us, and Vente isn't getting enough opportunities.

I think just about everyone has bought into what he has been saying and have supported him, but like every other manager, including the one you just mentioned, he will live or die by performances and results. Both need to pick up quite quickly or he will lose the support.

Your last two paragraphs are absolutely spot on.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 08:52 AM
He's made some mistakes and he needs to learn quickly but I'm pleased so far.

Too many draws but I think it's much more likely we'll see those turning into wins in the weeks ahead than them turning into losses.

If we can get him a few players in January that can fit his style I think we'll have a good second half of the season.

That is where i am he also needs to be given space and time to make mistakes also.

Since452
01-11-2023, 08:54 AM
This is Hibernian. Any manager who doesn't quickly find a formula to start winning games is going to find himself under pressure. Right now i'm not bothered about formations or team selections or his long term plans, i just want to see my team winning games of football by any means necessary. We can't be chucking leads to poor teams at home. Beating Aberdeen on Saturday will relieve a lot of that pressure and we'll all have a big day out to look forward to. Over to you Nick.

Carheenlea
01-11-2023, 08:59 AM
For all we have a lot of possession, we don’t seem to create a huge amount of chances for attempts on goal. Plenty play around the area but the mindset playing a possession game maybe contributes to trying to walk it in as opposed to shoot on sight.

Criminal really to throw away two points like that and Montgomery will shoulder a lot of that responsibility. Hopefully after the weekend we can settle down with the rotation a bit and play a regular settled side and try and build up some steam. And try and calm the substitutions down a bit!

Nicho87
01-11-2023, 09:02 AM

I’m fully in support of the current manager

He isn’t helping himself just now with

Needless subs
Stubborness to change formation

Last night changing to 433 or 451 at 2-0 would have got the win. The willingness to change formation has to be adopted as teams will suss us.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2023, 09:05 AM
For all we have a lot of possession, we don’t seem to create a huge amount of chances for attempts on goal. Plenty play around the area but the mindset playing a possession game maybe contributes to trying to walk it in as opposed to shoot on sight.

Criminal really to throw away two points like that and Montgomery will shoulder a lot of that responsibility. Hopefully after the weekend we can settle down with the rotation a bit and play a regular settled side and try and build up some steam. And try and calm the substitutions down a bit!

Huge change between his first game at Kilmarnock and last night even though the outcome was the same.

First game we did the whole playing out from the back thing but we did it with a bit of pace and intensity. The first half last night was like watching walking football. The goalie was driving me nuts with how long he was taking to get the game going again.

We chucked away leads in both because, frankly, we are hopeless defensively. But I came away from the Kilmarnock game impressed with parts of the game and thinking we’d work and improve. We’re not as it stands.

Bobby's Cinema
01-11-2023, 09:08 AM
Bizarre to me that a fellow Hibs fans talks about a guy in these terms with what he's done for our club.

McGruber
01-11-2023, 09:32 AM

Needless subs

Last night changing to 433 or 451 at 2-0 would have got the win. The willingness to change formation has to be adopted as teams will suss us.

That's about the size of it

KWJ
01-11-2023, 09:53 AM

Agree with the top bit and I think the bottom bit is in part to still giving players an opportunity within the current system.

Also, even though we were 2-0 up, Ross County were always in the game so it's not like our changes lost us it, they went to 3 up top and it worked well for them. I'd have liked to have seen us be able to take their pressure while holding on to the ball but despite playing well I'm not sure a tiring Miller, Jeggo, Rocky and Jair quite have that - yet anyway. Levitt, Newell, Youan, ALF and Vente can keep us in possession.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 10:03 AM
The manager changed the keeper for the game, despite Marshall keeping a clean sheet against Celtic and wollacott having been out for months, then took off a DM and a CB at 2-0 up and ****ed it. Not for the first time either.

Think there are genuine questions re last night however anyone coming out with out of his depth and a clown can genuinely gtf

Crunchie
01-11-2023, 10:05 AM
Bizarre to me that a fellow Hibs fans talks about a guy in these terms with what he's done for our club.
Hanlon's not been good enough for a long time full stop. I'm a member of the HSF and I'm aware of what he's done for our club.
I've seen a hell of a lot worse written about SDG when he was at the end of his playing career for us.

Since452
01-11-2023, 10:12 AM

That shouldn't make him immune to criticism. His first act last night was to inexplicably smash the ball against his own arm in the box under no pressure resulting in a penalty check. That's just careless and we and him then looked a nervous wreck.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2023, 10:41 AM
The starting lineup was the risk last night. It gave us a first half of absolutely turgid football with one shot, probably not even on target, that got us a goal, that was probably all that stopped the team going off to a spattering of boos IMO.

Cue the 2nd half and we get a wee bit of a feelgood factor with Jair scoring, who couldn't be happy for the guy.

I wouldn't say we were cruising at any point, but 2 - 0 should have been enough to win that game ... until the manager had nothing less than a brain fart .... My managerial experience extends to co running a primary 7 kids team for 2 weeks, but even I know when you've built up a lead the last thing you do is fanny about with a defence that's playing well. For sure mess with the forwards if you want, but make sure you don't jeopardise your lead.

I like Monty, but in the near on 50 years I've been going to ER not a single manager has kept his job because I liked him. The ones that stick around are the ones who get results and not ones who chuck away leads at home by making needless changes to the one part of the team that's functioning well.

If it aint broke don't fix it Monty ... pin it on the dressing room wall mate.

Donegal Hibby
01-11-2023, 10:50 AM

As to Johnson's mess the squad is far better now than when LJ took over in fairness.

It had absolutely s*d all to do with the previous manager, that's just looking for an excuse imo . We have far better players than Ross county though they had more shots than us and from poor substitutions to being totally unwilling to change the shape of the team which wasn't particularly working well anyhow, I'm sorry but Monty is at fault here and no else ! .

Your absolutely right in Monty needs more time than 8 games and hopefully he gets it right though the worrying thing is after just one win he doesn't seem to have any other way to play or a plan B to fall back on which I hope he might learn to have in time btw .

NC1875
01-11-2023, 10:52 AM

You’d think Hanlon saved the club from extinction the way some people go on.

He’s been finished for far too long. Simply not good enough.

It’s facts.

Part of so many embarrassments as a Hibs player also, but because he won the Scottish cup he can play with us forever, take no criticism etc 😴

Unseen work
01-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Delf and Wollacott were nowhere near as bad as some make out.

I actually thought Wollacott looked really good with the exception of the goal, think there was one other time he tried to catch it and spilled it after a Delf/Hanlon mix up.

Delf scored the own goal and gave away a couple of fouls but don’t think he lost possession once.

One player who does infuriate me even though I really like him is Stevenson. His distribution from the back is really poor imo and at times he slows play down far far too much.

I think something the team need to work on is not going backwards unless they need to, there’s times we do really well to play out from the back, get to a certain point and go back to the keeper. Keep possession and keep it moving but higher up the park.

We also need to get the wingers on the ball more and in more isolated positions.

Again I really like ALF but thought he was poor/quiet last night. I think once we sign a striker who can drop into that 10 and play it well it will make a big difference. We really miss a player who can receive it on the half turn, beat a man and play a pass.

It’s just that creativity in the middle, we have Newell and Levitt who can play the passes to the player in that area, but we then need a player in there who can make something happen higher up. Whether it’s slipping in Youan/Boyle/Vente or beating a man himself.

I like what Montgomery is doing and can see positive signs. The first half last night was poor, I thought the second half was much better in terms of intensity/playing forward - until we conceded the first.

Booked4Being-Ugly
01-11-2023, 11:05 AM

It’s facts.

Part of so many embarrassments as a Hibs player also, but because he won the Scottish cup he can play with us forever, take no criticism etc 😴

It’s not the criticism though, it’s the insulting tone he’s referring to and he’s right.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Heard him say he accepted complete responsibility for team, subs and result.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2023, 11:10 AM
What cost us the points was Wollacot missing the cross which led to the own goal. That goal hugely encouraged RC and made us nervous.

If he gets a fist on that, I'm certain we would have had enough to win.

Unseen work
01-11-2023, 11:12 AM
As to Johnson's mess the squad is far better now than when LJ took over in fairness.

It had absolutely s*d all to do with the previous manager, that's just looking for an excuse imo . We have far better players than Ross county though they had more shots than us and from poor substitutions to being totally unwilling to change the shape of the team which wasn't particularly working well anyhow, I'm sorry but Monty is at fault here and no else ! .

Your absolutely right in Monty needs more time than 8 games and hopefully he gets it right though the worrying thing is after just one win he doesn't seem to have any other way to play or a plan B to fall back on which I hope he might learn to have in time btw .

People are getting very hung up on the formation for me.

For 75 minutes of the game County offered next to nothing going forward, we’d dominated the ball without being brilliant and lead 2-0.

A short free kick is then launched in from miles out, the goalie misses it and our sub who is just on can’t react quick enough and it ends up in the back our his own net. A freak goal.

Momentum then shifts.

The second goal is a ball clipped forward from inside the centre circle to Murray against Stevenson, a lucky touch and then Stevenson doesn’t get anywhere near close enough to stop Murray or the cross. Whites touch and finish is very good in fairness.

It’s not them cutting through us or is leaving massive gaps, it was long balls.

We could play any formation we want and concede those goals.

Northernhibee
01-11-2023, 11:14 AM

It’s facts.

Nobody’s saying that he’s immune from criticism, just that he deserves to be treated in a respectful manner by virtue of being an excellent servant of the club (as is Stevenson).

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 11:16 AM
Nobody’s saying that he’s immune from criticism, just that he deserves to be treated in a respectful manner by virtue of being an excellent servant of the club (as is Stevenson).

Couldn’t agree more

Daydreamer
01-11-2023, 11:19 AM
What cost us the points was Wollacot missing the cross which led to the own goal. That goal hugely encouraged RC and made us nervous.

If he gets a fist on that, I'm certain we would have had enough to win.

Correct, utterly dreadful goalkeeping. This is what an under 18 goalkeeper would do try to punch the ball with one hand.. Watched it back this morning and it gets worse every time you see it. But I will say I thought his distribution was very good.

TrinityHFC
01-11-2023, 11:20 AM

For 75 minutes of the game County offered next to nothing going forward, we’d dominated the ball without being brilliant and lead 2-0.

A short free kick is then launched in from miles out, the goalie misses it and our sub who is just on can’t react quick enough and it ends up in the back our his own net. A freak goal.

Momentum then shifts.

The second goal is a ball clipped forward from inside the centre circle to Murray against Stevenson, a lucky touch and then Stevenson doesn’t get anywhere near close enough to stop Murray or the cross. Whites touch and finish is very good in fairness.

We could also play a formation where we are getting our own attacking players functioning in a more effective way and be much more comfortable in the game? Those attacking players could also pose a break in behind threat that also punishes teams when they do try and commit when momentum shifts.

We currently aren't doing that - and yes, formation and how the players are being asked to play within it is important.

Stubbsy90+2
01-11-2023, 11:22 AM

Momentum then shifts.

We also offered next to nothing going forward though. This ridiculous 4-4-2 completely blunts Boyle and Youan, doesn’t seem to have done Newell any favours as his form has completely dipped and is leaving Vente with absolutely no service. We’ve hardly created a chance for nearly a month now.

Unseen work
01-11-2023, 11:24 AM
We could also play a formation where we are getting our own attacking players functioning in a more effective way and be much more comfortable in the game? Those attacking players could also pose a break in behind threat that also punishes teams when they do try and commit when momentum shifts.

We currently aren't doing that - and yes, formation and how the players are being asked to play within it is important.

Like the one where Delferierre played Boyle through in behind? The threat was there, we just never took it.

We were 2-0 up at home with 15 minutes left against the team second bottom of the league, that’s about as comfortable as you’re going to get in the SPFL.

Formation is important, I never said it’s not. But there seems a belief that playing a 451/433 will fix all our problems - I’m saying I don’t think the goals we conceded had anything to do with formation.

Stubbsy90+2
01-11-2023, 11:26 AM
Like the one where Delferierre played Boyle through in behind? The threat was there, we just never took it.

We were 2-0 up at home with 15 minutes left against the team second bottom of the league, that’s about as comfortable as you’re going to get in the SPFL.

Formation is important, I never said it’s not. But there seems a belief that playing a 451/433 will fix all our problems - I’m saying I don’t think the goals we conceded had anything to do with formation.

Theres no belief that 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 will fix all our problems. Nobody has ever said that. Theres certainly a belief that 4-4-2 isn’t working though and results and performances of our best players would back that up.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2023, 11:27 AM

Youan could have got a third goal too.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2023, 11:27 AM

To be fair, it was a pretty poor watch but two of our attacking players had us 2-0 up (and one of the goals was actually a very good goal involving good play between Vente and Levitt to set Tavares up). At 2-0 up with 15 to play against Ross County at home, you should be comfortable.

We had to see out 15-20 minutes is the same shape that shut Celtic out at the weekend. It shouldn’t have been a tough ask. Whilst I thought the subs were crap and and made us lose momentum, the biggest turning point was the goalie doing a superman impression.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 11:28 AM
Theres no belief that 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 will fix all our problems. Nobody has ever said that. Theres certainly a belief that 4-4-2 isn’t working though and results and performances of our best players would back that up.

Similar to 433/451 not fixing our problems neither is there evidence 442 isn’t working.

Unseen work
01-11-2023, 11:38 AM

Maybe not you, but people have certainly said or inferred that 451/433 would fix alot of problems.

The attacking players are planing the best right now granted, could come down to a loss in form or formation. Fwiw I don’t think Boyle has been great all season and Youan’s not been at his best lately despite still scoring goals.

One thing I want to see an improvement on is getting the attackers on the ball more and we need to create more chances for Vente.

Smartie
01-11-2023, 11:48 AM
Maybe not you, but people have certainly said or inferred that 451/433 would fix alot of problems.

The attacking players are planing the best right now granted, could come down to a loss in form or formation. Fwiw I don’t think Boyle has been great all season and Youan’s not been at his best lately despite still scoring goals.

One thing I want to see an improvement on is getting the attackers on the ball more and we need to create more chances for Vente.

I generally dislike 433/451 but it’s hard to argue that it doesn’t fix some of our current problems. We’re not seeing the best of Boyle, Youan or Vente right now, on paper a 451 should be more effective for them.

Levitt made a serious claim for a place with his performance and it’s hard to argue that Newell and Jeggo shouldn’t be starting every week. 451 would accommodate all 3 of them playing, which it could be argued should protect our defence and support our attack better.

I still think that cutting out the mistakes at the back negates all the formation chat however…

Stubbsy90+2
01-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Similar to 433/451 not fixing our problems neither is there evidence 442 isn’t working.

We’ve won 1 in 7 league games, our best players aren’t performing and we’re 8th in the table having played more games than everyone else in the league.

There absolutely is evidence that it isn’t working.

FC1875
01-11-2023, 11:58 AM
I think the simple question is, are we better with Montgomery in charge than we were with LJ in charge? I'm not seeing any evidence that we are, 1 win in 8 for a new manager must be one of the slowest starts for a new manager in a very long time.

He needs wins fast.

Unseen work
01-11-2023, 12:10 PM
I think the simple question is, are we better with Montgomery in charge than we were with LJ in charge? I'm not seeing any evidence that we are, 1 win in 8 for a new manager must be one of the slowest starts for a new manager in a very long time.

He needs wins fast.

2 in 8, 1 in 7 in the league.

Your point still stands though.

Aberdeen, St Mirren and Killie our next 3 games.

All very difficult and we really need 3 wins.

Donegal Hibby
01-11-2023, 12:14 PM

Momentum then shifts.

I'm not really hung up on the 4-4-2 formation though I am concerned at the lack of options we have in changing the system if we need too which I think we could have done last night .

Ross county mightened have offered next to nothing going forward though for all our possession neither did we either.
Half-time we had 3 shots each , full-time they ended up with more than us . Considering we have 700 hundred thousand pounds striker up front who we created nothing for I wouldn't have minded seeing us change the system abit.

We could of course play any other formation and lose goals though sometimes changing it can make a difference in a team becoming more solid wither it's adding a extra Midfielder or defender.

I find it surprising how many folk on here think that only having one way to play without being able to change or adapt to different games is a good thing tbh .

eastmainsmsh
01-11-2023, 02:40 PM
Just sack Monty and let Hibs net members vote who plays and picks formation lol

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 02:45 PM

Yep a lot of experts on here.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 02:49 PM
We’ve won 1 in 7 league games, our best players aren’t performing and we’re 8th in the table having played more games than everyone else in the league.

There absolutely is evidence that it isn’t working.

Reverse of that obviously is that he has only lost one game and won a quarter final of the cup against second in the league. You do realise it takes time rather than everything is awful after 8 games when it clearly isn’t. Certainly the Killie Dundee and yesterday we should have won.

LaMotta
01-11-2023, 02:50 PM

You dont think Hibs fans on a Hibs fans forum should discuss/ offer their opinions on why we aren't doing as well as we could be??

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 02:53 PM
You dont think Hibs fans on a Hibs fans forum should discuss/ offer their opinions on why we aren't doing as well as we could be??

Of course they should and i am critical of our capitulation last night also however very early days and complete knee jerk reactions don’t really help. Hibs fans most of all should appreciate that given our ridiculous turnover of coaches recently.

HoboHarry
01-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Of course they should. I suspect though that there's a good number of posters here wish that the level of hysterics/trolling would come down a few notches when we fail to win.

Ozyhibby
01-11-2023, 02:56 PM

You don’t need to be an expert to see that results are not good enough.

ChuckNor
01-11-2023, 03:00 PM
All I'll say is the players are absolutely loving it under the new regime and are 100% bought in. Nick has acknowledged he made a mistake with the subs (something his predecessor never would have done). He will learn from it and we move on.

Feeling optimistic that it will click.

Stubbsy90+2
01-11-2023, 03:01 PM
Reverse of that obviously is that he has only lost one game and won a quarter final of the cup against second in the league. You do realise it takes time rather than everything is awful after 8 games when it clearly isn’t. Certainly the Killie Dundee and yesterday we should have won.

He has only lost one game, but the amount of draws we’ve had is the reason for that, draws aren’t good enough either when they’re almost every game.

Our points total in his 7 games is pish, as have quite a significant chunk of the performances and the individual performances from our better players have been poor as well. That to me suggests what we’re doing isn’t working if it’s not picking up enough points and not getting nearly enough out of our best players.

Since452
01-11-2023, 03:02 PM
Luckily in football you're never too far away from having a chance to redeem yourself. Yesterday is gone now. Big chance on Saturday to bring a bit of feel good factor back. If we win on Saturday nobody will be criticising the manager. Hopefully he gets some advice from SDG as we absolutely strolled it against them at Pittodrie a couple of months back.

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 03:03 PM
He has only lost one game, but the amount of draws we’ve had is the reason for that, draws aren’t good enough either when they’re almost every game.

Our points total in his 7 games is pish, as have quite a significant chunk of the performances and the individual performances from our better players have been poor as well. That to me suggests what we’re doing isn’t working.

Or a few tweaks will change those draws into wins

LaMotta
01-11-2023, 03:13 PM
Of course they should and i am critical of our capitulation last night also however very early days and complete knee jerk reactions don’t really help. Hibs fans most of all should appreciate that given our ridiculous turnover of coaches recently.

There are hardly any knee jerk reactions though?

Hibs4185
01-11-2023, 03:22 PM

Is that not how FOH works?

Hibees1973
01-11-2023, 03:27 PM
Much as I detest the term Hibs'd it. That's exactly what we did last night.

You would have hoped Montgomery would know beforehand of our propensity to be fragile and have a squad which lacks real depth.

From 2-0 and cruising he totally messed it up. I agree with other posters that he under estimated Ross County and over estimates the ability of players like Hanlon and Delferierre.

Big lesson for Montgomery last night. Hope he learns from it.

Libby Hibby
01-11-2023, 03:28 PM
Monty’s recognised his errors, accepted responsibility and says he’ll learn from it.

Good enough for me.

True leader.

Smartie
01-11-2023, 03:39 PM
Monty’s recognised his errors, accepted responsibility and says he’ll learn from it.

Good enough for me.

True leader.

I must admit that I'm impressed with his response.

Mature, deserves every bit of the benefit of the doubt.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2023, 03:47 PM
All I'll say is the players are absolutely loving it under the new regime and are 100% bought in. Nick has acknowledged he made a mistake with the subs

What did he say?

I heard him say he's responsible for the team selections etc but I didn't hear him say anything about making a mistake.

HoboHarry
01-11-2023, 03:50 PM
Much as I detest the term Hibs'd it. That's exactly what we did last night.

You would have hoped Montgomery would know beforehand of our propensity to be fragile and have a squad which lacks real depth.

From 2-0 and cruising he totally messed it up. I agree with other posters that he under estimated Ross County and over estimates the ability of players like Hanlon and Delferierre.

Big lesson for Montgomery last night. Hope he learns from it.
Your first sentence would have got you mutually consented if I was an admin on this site.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2023, 03:53 PM

Needless subs

:top marksEven the needless sub of Jeggo could have been handled differently, Newell for Jeggo should have been the sub there, and not weakened us severely like he did.

Donegal Hibby
01-11-2023, 03:59 PM

Is there anyone wanting the manager sacked ? . Thought the whole point of a football forum was to discuss things on football ?:confused: .

cameronw-hfc
01-11-2023, 04:01 PM
Monty will be fine, don't mind the 442 as I can see where it can work, players just haven't fully grasped it yet. It'll be frustrating at times but it'll come good. Never been confident in our last few managers, for some reason I am with Monty.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-11-2023, 04:04 PM

It's mental why people feel the need to post that on a football forum, what is it that they are expecting to read about? 🤔

Keith_M
01-11-2023, 04:05 PM
Luckily in football you're never too far away from having a chance to redeem yourself. Yesterday is gone now. Big chance on Saturday to bring a bit of feel good factor back. If we win on Saturday nobody will be criticising the manager. Hopefully he gets some advice from SDG as we absolutely strolled it against them at Pittodrie a couple of months back.

Maybe we should put SDG in charge for Saturday, as he knows how to set the team up to beat the Dons

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Your first sentence would have got you mutually consented if I was an admin on this site.

Yep

Hibees1973
01-11-2023, 04:13 PM

I understand what you mean. Also know another poster used this term as his Username and got pelters. Think he might have changed it.

I'm big enough to take any flak. However, I feel most on here would fully recognise that the term exactly summed up what happened last night.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2023, 04:49 PM

Some of us have been watching Hibs for years and know exactly what our problems are. You're maybe one of us?

That doesn't make us experts and no-one is claiming to be one.

That so many of us are seeing and saying the same things, maybe points to there being some truth in it. Or are we all wrong?

Some coincidence that folk posting positive stuff are clued up but negative posters know hee-haw and are 'experts'!!

LaMotta
01-11-2023, 04:52 PM
It's mental why people feel the need to post that on a football forum, what is it that they are expecting to read about? 🤔

Some of us have been watching Hibs for years and know exactly what our problems are. You're maybe one of us?

That so many of us are seeing and saying the same things, maybe points to there being some truth in it. Or are we all wrong?

Some coincidence that folk posting positive stuff are clued up but negative posters know hee-haw and are 'experts'!!

:agree::agree:

I am an expert so I take it personally:greengrin

A Hi-Bee
01-11-2023, 04:57 PM
All I'll say is the players are absolutely loving it under the new regime and are 100% bought in. Nick has acknowledged he made a mistake with the subs (something his predecessor never would have done). He will learn from it and we move on.

Feeling optimistic that it will click.

:top marks:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
01-11-2023, 04:58 PM

:greengrin

eastmainsmsh
01-11-2023, 05:05 PM
Is there anyone wanting the manager sacked ? . Thought the whole point of a football forum was to discuss things on football ?:confused: .

Yes and my post was Just banter really like Monty so far last night fingers crossed was a one off onwards to hampden now

Fuzzywuzzy
01-11-2023, 05:06 PM
I saw that he was saying that Harry is back with the first team

worcesterhibby
01-11-2023, 05:12 PM
The last time we hounded out a good manager for drawing too many games early in his tenure, he went on to manage Sheffield Utd and got them into the English Prem. Give the man time, give the team support.

B.H.F.C
01-11-2023, 05:21 PM
The last time we hounded out a good manager for drawing too many games early in his tenure, he went on to manage Sheffield Utd and got them into the English Prem. Give the man time, give the team support.

Hecky won 1 of his last 16 league games (W1, D8, L7). If Montgomery gets anywhere near having a record like that, he’d be lucky if he was still in a job. Any manager at any club would be.

Thankfully, I don’t think it’ll come to that.

easty
01-11-2023, 05:23 PM

How long should we have allowed Heckingbottoms horrendous run to keep going?

worcesterhibby
01-11-2023, 05:44 PM
How long should we have allowed Heckingbottoms horrendous run to keep going?

I'd have given him a fair bit longer - he was unlucky with many of the draws. I felt he was a decent manager that needed time. He has since proved he is a more than decent manager. Our clubs knee jerk reaction to sacking managers in recent years hasn't served us well on the whole. To be fair his replacement in the form of jack Ross was decent and did a good job, but I do wonder what would happen if we just decided to stick with a manager for 3 seasons and let him build something. Heck was a decent manager, Ross was a decent manager and I beleive Nick Montgomery is a decent manager. Maloney and Johnson not so much. I really, really, really hope Monty is still here in three years, no matter where we finish this season..It would do the club so much good. IMHO of course.. more than happy for others to disagree, that's what forums are for :greengrin

(In fairness I will also point out that being an England based supporter, I don't get to ER every week, in fact I'm only there a few times a season..so it's a bit easier for me to put up with bad results as I don't have to sit through them in person very often ! those that watch us capitulate in person every week have my respect)

J-C
02-11-2023, 07:48 AM
Tuesday showed us that we need 5-6 players and not just squad fillers like we have right now. A fit JDH would've been the perfect player to replace Jeggo but he's another who seems attached to the treatment table, where is Harbottle? and Campbell just isn't good enough for this system. I still feel we need to get a midfield 3 on the pitch, fed up seeing our best striker dropping into midfield instead of being the focal point of the attack.

Since452
02-11-2023, 09:51 AM

There's no evidence Montgomery is a good manager yet. Not at Hibs anyway. Hecky cleaned up Lennons mess and dragged us to the top six winning manager of the month and at Tynecastle on the way. The season after was poor but he'd built up a bit of credit in the bank.

GreenPJ
02-11-2023, 10:15 AM
There's no evidence Montgomery is a good manager yet. Not at Hibs anyway. Hecky cleaned up Lennons mess and dragged us to the top six winning manager of the month and at Tynecastle on the way.

Miller, Jeggo, Marshall and Tavares have all improved since Montgomery came in and he has also exposed youngsters into the first team squad - appreciate that has not manifested itself into points (yet) but is utilising the tools available to him more than any other recent manager. It may not make him a good manager yet but also doesn't mean he is a bad manager. He is learning, we need to recognise that, and he needs to learn quickly and prove he has flexibility but would not try to put him into a good or bad bucket until Feb next year (post transfer window) and will have had enough games under his belt to prove if he is learning and is flexible in terms of approach/tactics/formation.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2023, 10:41 AM
There's no evidence Montgomery is a good manager yet. Not at Hibs anyway. Hecky cleaned up Lennons mess and dragged us to the top six winning manager of the month and at Tynecastle on the way. The season after was poor but he'd built up a bit of credit in the bank.

That means diddly squat these days.

Stubbsy90+2
02-11-2023, 11:15 AM
Miller, Jeggo, Marshall and Tavares have all improved since Montgomery came in and he has also exposed youngsters into the first team squad - appreciate that has not manifested itself into points (yet) but is utilising the tools available to him more than any other recent manager. It may not make him a good manager yet but also doesn't mean he is a bad manager. He is learning, we need to recognise that, and he needs to learn quickly and prove he has flexibility but would not try to put him into a good or bad bucket until Feb next year (post transfer window) and will have had enough games under his belt to prove if he is learning and is flexible in terms of approach/tactics/formation.

There’s no doubting the 4 you’ve listed have improved, however by the same token you could also argue that Newell, Boyle and Youan have regressed, Vente has been largely anonymous recently and Hanlons form has fell off a cliff. It’s swings and roundabouts but in terms of what he’s getting out of the team right now it’s nowhere near enough.

Like you said, still early days, but it needs to improve and it needs to improve before January. There’s loads of games between now and then and if results don’t improve considerably then the league season will already be looking like a bit of a write off.

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-11-2023, 11:23 AM
The problem is if we’re persevering with the 442 system and the players cant adapt do we get rid of the players or the system?

Sticking with 442 short-mid term seems like it would still be a gamble and the fans would need to be patient.

We really need to start seeing results though as another mid-table season isn’t exactly going to whet the appetite for the next. Personally speaking I just want to see us doing a lot better than we are currently and couldn’t really care less what way we play as long as we start getting results, especially against teams we really should be beating if we have any reasonable aspirations.

theonlywayisup
02-11-2023, 11:36 AM
I'd have given him a fair bit longer - he was unlucky with many of the draws. I felt he was a decent manager that needed time. He has since proved he is a more than decent manager. Our clubs knee jerk reaction to sacking managers in recent years hasn't served us well on the whole. To be fair his replacement in the form of jack Ross was decent and did a good job, but I do wonder what would happen if we just decided to stick with a manager for 3 seasons and let him build something. Heck was a decent manager, Ross was a decent manager and I beleive Nick Montgomery is a decent manager. Maloney and Johnson not so much. I really, really, really hope Monty is still here in three years, no matter where we finish this season..It would do the club so much good. IMHO of course.. more than happy for others to disagree, that's what forums are for :greengrin

(In fairness I will also point out that being an England based supporter, I don't get to ER every week, in fact I'm only there a few times a season..so it's a bit easier for me to put up with bad results as I don't have to sit through them in person very often ! those that watch us capitulate in person every week have my respect)

Tuesday showed us that we need 5-6 players and not just squad fillers like we have right now. A fit JDH would've been the perfect player to replace Jeggo but he's another who seems attached to the treatment table, where is Harbottle? and Campbell just isn't good enough for this system. I still feel we need to get a midfield 3 on the pitch, fed up seeing our best striker dropping into midfield instead of being the focal point of the attack.

Merging both posts, I feel we sack managers before they get a chance to make an impact, whilst not supporting them well on the recruitment side.

The positive to me is that Monty appears to be getting better performances from players who were poor in the past. The shape we had against Celtic as the best I've seen in a long time, but we were poor against Ross County, initially because of the lack of drive from midfield, but laterally due to the mad substitutions. IMO we've got to give Monty time to get the team playing the way he wants us to play, with the players he wants and trusts.

B.H.F.C
02-11-2023, 12:41 PM
There’s no doubting the 4 you’ve listed have improved, however by the same token you could also argue that Newell, Boyle and Youan have regressed, Vente has been largely anonymous recently and Hanlons form has fell off a cliff. It’s swings and roundabouts but in terms of what he’s getting out of the team right now it’s nowhere near enough.

Like you said, still early days, but it needs to improve and it needs to improve before January. There’s loads of games between now and then and if results don’t improve considerably then the league season will already be looking like a bit of a write off.

I wouldn’t say Youan has regressed. 3 goals and an assist in the 7 league games under Montgomery, with 1 of them being as a sub. Plus a goal in the cup game. That’s a decent return from a wide player. Boyle has been poor.

Stubbsy90+2
02-11-2023, 12:45 PM
I wouldn’t say Youan has regressed. 3 goals and an assist in the 7 league games under Montgomery, with 1 of them being as a sub. Plus a goal in the cup game. That’s a decent return from a wide player. Boyle has been poor.

That’s fair, I didn’t realise he’d had so many G/A contributions. Watching him I feel like his general play has been pretty poor but that’s a decent enough return statistically.

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 02:19 PM

He was rightly given the chop and it was for ignoring what his and everyone else's eyes were telling them and sticking stubbornly to his tactical approach.

He'd decided we weren't going to play a holding midfielder and then proceeded to watch teams steam through the middle of us. The worst thing was that season, we played our first friendly on the 3rd of July and our 1st cup game about 10 days later and played a total of 14 games before the window closed. It was obvious it wasn't working and he stubbornly rejected the opportunity to get one in before it shut. We then won 1 of our first 11 league games. Every game he's managed since, he's started a holding midfielder.

Unfortunately, this boy appears to be of the same ilk. He's come out immediately saying he won't be changing. The problem is for him, despite many fans being bellends, most match going football fans have a decent understanding of the basics of football. They can see no-one else at any decent level plays attractive/effective football using 442 and recognise the failings of it, which our team is currently demonstrating with bells on and show no signs of getting the hang of it.

Since90+2
02-11-2023, 02:31 PM

1 win in 17 is relegation form. There's a good chance we'd have been relegated if we kept him.

JimBHibees
02-11-2023, 03:24 PM
He was rightly given the chop and it was for ignoring what his and everyone else's eyes were telling them and sticking stubbornly to his tactical approach.

He'd decided we weren't going to play a holding midfielder and then proceeded to watch teams steam through the middle of us. The worst thing was that season, we played our first friendly on the 3rd of July and our 1st cup game about 10 days later and played a total of 14 games before the window closed. It was obvious it wasn't working and he stubbornly rejected the opportunity to get one in before it shut. We then won 1 of our first 11 league games. Every game he's managed since, he's started a holding midfielder.

Unfortunately, this boy appears to be of the same ilk. He's come out immediately saying he won't be changing. The problem is for him, despite many fans being bellends, most match going football fans have a decent understanding of the basics of football. They can see no-one else at any decent level plays attractive/effective football using 442 and recognise the failings of it, which our team is currently demonstrating with bells on and show no signs of getting the hang of it

Yet using this dinosaur system has only lost one game and drew with the best team in the country a few days ago.

Zazu62
02-11-2023, 04:58 PM
Is it just me or are we not creating a lot of chances? Where is the creativity in midfield playing a 4-4-2, Jeggo and Newell aren’t they kind of players.

Zazu62
02-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Yet using this dinosaur system has only lost one game and drew with the best team in the country a few days ago.

Maloney drew 0-0 at home to Celtic. Plus Celtic just played in Europe 3 days before it.

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:07 PM

He’s won 1 league game in 8 and that was against the team bottom of the league.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2023, 05:11 PM
He's going to come under a lot of pressure if we lose on Saturday.

JimBHibees
02-11-2023, 05:13 PM
He’s won 1 league game in 8 and that was against the team bottom of the league.

Yet should really have won about 4 league games plus of course beat then unbeaten St Mirren well in the league cup

JimBHibees
02-11-2023, 05:14 PM
Maloney drew 0-0 at home to Celtic. Plus Celtic just played in Europe 3 days before it.

And

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:14 PM
Is it just me or are we not creating a lot of chances? Where is the creativity in midfield playing a 4-4-2, Jeggo and Newell aren’t they kind of players.

Our XG the other night was 0.5. Our average per game since he’s taken over is 1.

Stubbsy90+2
02-11-2023, 05:16 PM
Our XG the other night was 0.5. Our average per game since he’s taken over is 1.

And that’s why I don’t understand the posts claiming there’s been a clear improvement.

Since he’s come in, over the piece we’ve been relatively poor, yet there’s been loads of posts saying they’re delighted with how he’s doing, how he’s a really good manager and the likes.

Things need to improve and we can’t wait until January for it to happen. He needs to get more out the current squad than he is.

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:21 PM
Yet should really have won about 4 league games plus of course beat then unbeaten St Mirren well in the league cup

Beat St Mirren well? I take it ye weren’t there? They were all over us 2nd half, equalised with 16 mins to go. We scored a very lucky goal to go in front and a breakaway after they chucked everyone forward in the 4th minute of injury time.

I’m struggling to think of the 4 games we should’ve won?

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:24 PM
And that’s why I don’t understand the posts claiming there’s been a clear improvement.

Since he’s come in, over the piece we’ve been relatively poor, yet there’s been loads of posts saying they’re delighted with how he’s doing, how he’s a really good manager and the likes.

Things need to improve and we can’t wait until January for it to happen. He needs to get more out the current squad than he is.

Our chance conversion rate is pretty much perfect.

I think our squad is decent. He’s just using it wrong. This formation completely stifles Boyle and Youan as they are forced to play 30 yard deeper to cover the shortage in midfield.

JimBHibees
02-11-2023, 05:27 PM
Beat St Mirren well? I take it ye weren’t there? They were all over us 2nd half, equalised with 16 mins to go. We scored a very lucky goal to go in front and a breakaway after they chucked everyone forward in the 4th minute of injury time.

Yes i was we were cruising at 2 1 then they got a goal out of nothing and we then scored a couple to win 4 2 including Boyle missing a one on one also. All over us second half doesn’t sound like you were there.

JimBHibees
02-11-2023, 05:29 PM

Killie Dundee Ross county

B.H.F.C
02-11-2023, 05:32 PM

Right you clearly don’t like Montgomery but it’s you who weren’t there at the St Mirren game if you think they were all over us second half. They had 3 shots on target in the whole game whilst we scored 4 in the second half (when they were apparently all over us).

There’s loads he needs to improve but posts like this add absolutely heehaw when you have someone who has made up their mind and ain’t going to budge, something you quite like doing.

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:35 PM
Yes i was we were cruising at 2 1 then they got a goal out of nothing and we then scored a couple to win 4 2 including Boyle missing a one on one also. All over us second half doesn’t sound like you were there.

We far from cruising. We were camped in our own half for most of the 2nd half hence the breakways.

Winston Ingram
02-11-2023, 05:39 PM
Killie Dundee Ross county

Killie we were hanging on at the end. Dundee created some tremendous chances and we had one shot on target on Tuesday.

All 3 fair results.

Heisenberg
02-11-2023, 05:52 PM
Killie we were hanging on at the end. Dundee created some tremendous chances and we had one shot on target on Tuesday.

All 3 fair results.

We absolutely dominated Dundee for the 90 minutes and they had a couple of breakaway chances. Every stat for that game points to us being the better side that should’ve won it. Poor finishing cost us big time for that one.

Since90+2
02-11-2023, 06:04 PM
Give him a full transfer window to see what he's about.

He won't be going anywhere unless we look like relegation is a genuine threat, which I don't think will happen. Even if he doesn't make top 6 he'll be here at the start of next season, and rightfully so.

B.H.F.C
02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
We absolutely dominated Dundee for the 90 minutes and they had a couple of breakaway chances. Every stat for that game points to us being the better side that should’ve won it. Poor finishing cost us big time for that one.

Dundee was one of those days. We should have won, we didn’t, sometimes that happens. I didn’t see a great deal to be worried about in that game.

The other two mentioned were worse, chucking away two goal leads. It wasn’t our lack of ability to attack that cost us though. Particularly the other night, I saw quite a lot I didn’t like but it’s problems that existed before the manager came in. Only way some of the issues are going to be resolved are with new players.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Dundee was one of those days. We should have won, we didn’t, sometimes that happens. I didn’t see a great deal to be worried about in that game.

The other two mentioned were worse, chucking away two goal leads. It wasn’t our lack of ability to attack that cost us though. Particularly the other night, I saw quite a lot I didn’t like but it’s problems that existed before the manager came in. Only way some of the issues are going to be resolved are with new players.

I remember we threw away several leads late on in Mowbray's time here.

A Hi-Bee
02-11-2023, 07:04 PM

Sure I remember a game, when we were 4 up against Dundee and it ended up 4-4 we were shafted by the ref who did not give a cracking goal by Deeks. Think Mowbery may have been manager, he went on to do o.k. and sure Monty will also do o.k. :aok:

ekhibee
02-11-2023, 11:18 PM
We can't keep changing manager when a few performances are less than what is required, but as I suggested in another post I would give Montgomery roughly 6 out of 10 so far. Like some I think we probably need to wait till the January transfer window to see what he's really made of, but some of substitutions against RC were pretty bizarre in my opinion. On the plus side he seems to be getting a tune out of Tavares who virtually nobody thought would make it at Hibs, but Saturday is a big game for NM in terms of how far we've come under his management. Aberdeen seem to have found some form so we'll see.

Since452
03-11-2023, 05:20 AM
I remember we threw away several leads late on in Mowbray's time here.

Mowbray joined Hibs 20 years ago.The only thing they have in common is that they're English defenders and their surname begins with M. Football and Hibs have changed hugely since then. We also threw away leads under Maloney more recently. It's reminding me more of his time so far with his stubbornnes, refusal to change tactics and padestrian football on display.

Winston Ingram
03-11-2023, 07:08 AM
We can't keep changing manager when a few performances are less than what is required, but as I suggested in another post I would give Montgomery roughly 6 out of 10 so far. Like some I think we probably need to wait till the January transfer window to see what he's really made of, but some of substitutions against RC were pretty bizarre in my opinion. On the plus side he seems to be getting a tune out of Tavares who virtually nobody thought would make it at Hibs, but Saturday is a big game for NM in terms of how far we've come under his management. Aberdeen seem to have found some form so we'll see.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head. The chat is about the formation and he's played 442 in every game and it's clearly not working and showing no signs of doing so either.

He's come out and said he's not changing and there is little if any success of attacking 442 in over a decade which doesn't bode well for him.

I like a lot about him. He speaks well, he seems to have good leadership qualities and all I want him to do is bin the 442.

Hibernian Verse
03-11-2023, 07:11 AM
Mowbray joined Hibs 20 years ago.The only thing they have in common is that they're English defenders and their surname begins with M. Football and Hibs have changed hugely since then. We also threw away leads under Maloney more recently. It's reminding me more of his time so far with his stubbornnes, refusal to change tactics and padestrian football on display.

Tony was a defender, Nick was a midfielder.

Not that it matters.