PDA

View Full Version : VAR - One Year on

Mcbizz1998
22-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Anyone watching this programme on Sky? Currently reviewing the JDH challenge in the Celtic win at end of last season.
The one that was a red and downgraded to a yellow.

Worth a watch.

dp00
22-10-2023, 04:52 PM
Where can we watch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcbizz1998
22-10-2023, 05:05 PM
It was on sky sports after the hearts game. I’m sure you can get it on catch up.

Trinity Hibee
25-10-2023, 12:11 PM
What was the consensus? Any plans for improving how we use it going forward? I think we need to be able to hear recordings of the conversations between officials.

worcesterhibby
25-10-2023, 01:17 PM
scrap it

SON OF PADDY
25-10-2023, 01:21 PM
Get it in the bin, it's destroying the game!

Hibby70
25-10-2023, 01:22 PM
I'd love to see some stats split by team.

Number of red cards/rescinded following a var review.
Number of penalties awarded/rescinded
Number of disallowed goals

Offsides should be ok as there should be no opinion.

Stanton Spence
25-10-2023, 01:40 PM

Couldn’t agree more I don’t like it at all

SON OF PADDY
25-10-2023, 01:59 PM
Couldn’t agree more I don’t like it at all

It's taken the enjoyment out of the game,fan's don't know if they should celebrate a goal or not.

Since452
25-10-2023, 02:03 PM
They've taken a problem area in officiating and made it worse by introducing VAR. Unfortunately we've been victims of it often. Probably cost us 6/8 points last season which would have seen us finish 3rd. Sure other clubs would be able to point to it hurting them too though.

Stanton Spence
25-10-2023, 02:14 PM
It's taken the enjoyment out of the game,fan's don't know if they should celebrate a goal or not.

It’s actually quite refreshing to watch a championship game without it
I like to bet on the football and now you need to wait before you can be sure your team has actually scored and don’t get me started about some of the decisions
Even the people who are for it admit that it’s far from perfect and in need of some reform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardinal G
25-10-2023, 02:22 PM
They've taken a problem area in officiating and made it worse by introducing VAR. Unfortunately we've been victims of it often. Probably cost us 6/8 points last season which would have seen us finish 3rd. Sure other clubs would be able to point to it hurting them too though.

Most blatant for me was that Ross County equaliser, how that stood I will never know.

MWHIBBIES
25-10-2023, 02:25 PM
Superb addition to the game. Gets way more things right than just refs would.

It's just a shame **** referees are the ones operating it.

Mikey_1875
25-10-2023, 02:29 PM
Can’t say i’ve noticed it much this season. We were on the end of some poor decisions last season but then again so were other teams. We’ve been on the end of poor decisions well before VAR as well. I think the effect it has on fans at live games is exaggerated, especially now we have had time to get used to it.

I don’t have any stats to hand but apart from the human error for Liverpool but I am guessing offside decisions have improved as a whole. Other decisions like red cards are subjective and always will be. It will be hard to find a balance between the benefits of missing clear red cards and the negatives of making tackles look worse through slow motion replays and still images.

One thing I am increasingly fed up of is the amount of air time that ref chiefs and ex-refs are getting. Almost making them like celebrities. I suppose hearing the processes will be of interest to some, I would just prefer not to hear from them at all.

CentreLine
25-10-2023, 04:41 PM
Once AI is doing the analysis then it will be fantastic because all teams will be treated equally. Won’t happen in my lifetime I wouldn’t think but…

Mcbizz1998
25-10-2023, 04:50 PM
I must say I enjoyed the St Mirren game with no VAR. was able to relax and celebrate each goal.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2023, 04:58 PM
Still The Rangers have not conceded a penalty at home in the League since 2019 and elsewhere since January 2022 an amazing record yet have conceded six in ten games in European competitions?

HendoDelivered
25-10-2023, 05:05 PM

The only correct answer.

gbhibby
25-10-2023, 05:26 PM
Watched it. It was very much the narrative was being controlled by the referees. It showed how it worked well but they didn't go into decisions such as the Ross County goal. It was interesting to see it in action and hearing the exchanges between VAR and the refs.

Decision still is a penalty to The Rangers.

Kato
25-10-2023, 05:44 PM
They've taken a problem area in officiating and made it worse by introducing VAR. Unfortunately we've been victims of it often. Probably cost us 6/8 points last season which would have seen us finish 3rd. Sure other clubs would be able to point to it hurting them too though.Or unfairly helping them. Which of course they wouldn't point out.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
25-10-2023, 05:47 PM
It's got to be up there for player of the year at Tynecastle or Hunbox?

Either that or some sort of lifetime achievement award?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
26-10-2023, 05:31 AM
Sucks the life out of goal celebrations
Only as good and fair as those who are controlling it.
Independent refs from outwith scottish football would help with suspicion that certain teams get more of the better decisions

Dmas
26-10-2023, 05:52 AM
Superb addition to the game. Gets way more things right than just refs would.

It's just a shame **** referees are the ones operating it.

I agree, VAR isn’t the problem it’s the operating of it and I think it has highlighted how many rules the game has that are open to interpretation, which is being light on some of our refs who I think have been made to look highly incompetent.

There needs to be improvements for the match day support no doubt about it you can be sitting there absolutely clueless to what’s going on sometimes which can’t happen or people will soon stop attending, mic’ing up like rugby would solve it maybe even add to the drama of the game, never happen though especially up here

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2023, 06:03 AM
I agree, VAR isn’t the problem it’s the operating of it and I think it has highlighted how many rules the game has that are open to interpretation, which is being light on some of our refs who I think have been made to look highly incompetent.

There needs to be improvements for the match day support no doubt about it you can be sitting there absolutely clueless to what’s going on sometimes which can’t happen or people will soon stop attending, mic’ing up like rugby would solve it maybe even add to the drama of the game, never happen though especially up here

Agreed.

As for the Ross County goal - it wasn’t VAR that gave the goal, it was the referee.

Silky
26-10-2023, 07:11 AM
Independent refs from outwith scottish football would help with suspicion that certain teams get more of the better decisions

With technology as it is, I don't see how they can't use refs from out with Scotland. Like the laws of the game, VAR is universal and I don't see how, for example, VAR's couldn't be "pooled" and used in different areas. I think the ideal scenario, certainly here, would be using VAR's from the UK and Ireland across all the associations. This won't happen though, particularly across the UK, for political reasons. Which is sad.

silverhibee
26-10-2023, 11:47 AM
We were told that VAR would take away any uncertainty in the game, it has been a total disaster and should be scrapped straight away, all these extra refs reviewing incidents and they still can’t get it right, keep the goal line technology and get rid of the rest.

Pagan Hibernia
26-10-2023, 11:57 AM
Hate it. And it's not just a knee jerk luddite 'I hate everything new' response. I had very high hopes for it. But its sh**.

Genuinely dont enjoy football as much with it.

SickBoy32
26-10-2023, 12:26 PM
A brutal introduction to the game, and has without a doubt lessened my interest in football as a whole

Bin ASAP

Greenio
26-10-2023, 03:03 PM
I'm clearly in the minority but I don't feel it's impacted my enjoyment of a game much. Room for improvement of course but honestly, part of me finds the level of detail interesting.

B.H.F.C
26-10-2023, 03:29 PM
Hate it. Every time you score a goal, you stand there for a minute after you’ve initially celebrated wondering if there will be an issue. Some of the delays are infuriating.

If it was up to me I’d get rid of it right away.

Hibbyradge
26-10-2023, 03:49 PM
I'm clearly in the minority but I don't feel it's impacted my enjoyment of a game much. Room for improvement of course but honestly, part of me finds the level of detail interesting.

I agree.

The vast majority of VAR interventions are correct and helpful but we only remember the mistakes or controversial ones.

Wrongly allowed goals shouldn't be allowed to stand, just because some of the fans in the stadium want to celebrate.

The frequency of players diving for penalties has definitely lessened which is a massive plus.

I'm sure there will be a PhD student somewhere doing an analysis of the impact VAR has had compared to the initial refereeing decision.

I think it will be proven to have been an overwhelming success.

blackpoolhibs
26-10-2023, 06:32 PM
:agree:

I'd bin it straight away, cant stand it and it's taken a lot of the enjoyment out of football for me, and there's little enough as it is.:rolleyes:

Smartie
26-10-2023, 06:41 PM
I love the idea, detest the Scottish execution of it which is predictably shambolic.

You see it used well in other competitions (seems to work better in international football) and I think it’s commendable to attempt to correct clear and obvious mistakes. It’s always worth remembering that there is a degree of subjectivity in football and when pundits disagree with each other over decisions for a week after a game, that might suggest that the decision was never as clear cut as some might like to think.

SteveHFC
26-10-2023, 06:49 PM
With technology as it is, I don't see how they can't use refs from out with Scotland. Like the laws of the game, VAR is universal and I don't see how, for example, VAR's couldn't be "pooled" and used in different areas. I think the ideal scenario, certainly here, would be using VAR's from the UK and Ireland across all the associations. This won't happen though, particularly across the UK, for political reasons. Which is sad.

Without a doubt you could be the var official from anywhere in uk and i would take it a step further and make match allocation totally random an hour before kickoff

greenlex
26-10-2023, 06:59 PM
I love the idea, detest the Scottish execution of it which is predictably shambolic.

You see it used well in other competitions (seems to work better in international football) and I think it’s commendable to attempt to correct clear and obvious mistakes. It’s always worth remembering that there is a degree of subjectivity in football and when pundits disagree with each other over decisions for a week after a game, that might suggest that the decision was never as clear cut as some might like to think.

Either that or the pundits are clueless as to the laws of the game.

Eyrie
26-10-2023, 07:07 PM
Without a doubt you could be the var official from anywhere in uk and i would take it a step further and make match allocation totally random an hour before kickoff

Doesn't need to be limited to the UK. We could have VAR officials from anywhere in Europe.

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2023, 07:12 PM
We were told that VAR would take away any uncertainty in the game, it has been a total disaster and should be scrapped straight away, all these extra refs reviewing incidents and they still can’t get it right, keep the goal line technology and get rid of the rest.

We don’t have goal line technology.

Dmas
26-10-2023, 07:17 PM

Don’t know how things don’t change, the hassle the English are having with offside recently for example and line drawing, why they not adopting this graphic that the champs league are using almost no issues that spring to mind anyway in champs league was a couple last night barca game not even a mention of uncertainty, for some reason countries have pitched their stall and bashing on no matter what it’s obviously money oriented here but why they not investing in it down south

HoboHarry
26-10-2023, 07:38 PM
Doesn't need to be limited to the UK. We could have VAR officials from anywhere in Europe.
There is the potential for logistical issues with the need for complete fluency in English. English is widely spoken I know but I also can't imagine other European countries giving up their officials on game day for our benefit.

The_Exile
27-10-2023, 08:42 AM
VAR is a perfect system and there's nothing wrong with the actual hardware itself. The problem is the muppets using it.

I was all for it and I still am to a certain extent, but there have been times where I've wanted it in the sea. It won't work all the time, given the sheer level of incompetence and ****-uppery around our game.

JimBHibees
27-10-2023, 09:47 AM
I agree.

The vast majority of VAR interventions are correct and helpful but we only remember the mistakes or controversial ones.

Wrongly allowed goals shouldn't be allowed to stand, just because some of the fans in the stadium want to celebrate.

The frequency of players diving for penalties has definitely lessened which is a massive plus.

I'm sure there will be a PhD student somewhere doing an analysis of the impact VAR has had compared to the initial refereeing decision.

Agree with your point about var getting wrong decisions correct unless involving games at Ibrox :greengrin however actually think there is more diving in the box now just that it seems to get completely ignored.

SteveHFC
27-10-2023, 09:54 AM
VAR is a perfect system and there's nothing wrong with the actual hardware itself. The problem is the muppets using it.

I was all for it and I still am to a certain extent, but there have been times where I've wanted it in the sea. It won't work all the time, given the sheer level of incompetence and ****-uppery around our game.

They give penalties for next to nothing but the constant holding and blocking in the box gets ignored. Penalty against aberdeen last night was for slight touch yet worse went on through game in box and nothing given

greenlex
27-10-2023, 08:45 PM
There’s more correct decisions now made on the back of it being introduced than before it was around. Is that a good thing? Probablly but I’ve seen a clip of Hutchinson’s goal against England at the final game in the old Wembley and it would 100% be ruled out so on that basis I’m not so sure..

Jones28
27-10-2023, 08:54 PM
I agree.

Agree with this.

I still find it utterly baffling that it was introduced during the season.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Palace goal against Spurs is why folk don’t like it. 3 or 4 minutes to decide what has happened when it’s meant to be used for clear and obvious errors.

WeeRussell
27-10-2023, 09:53 PM
I agree.

Right. That’s your last warning.

Glory Lurker
27-10-2023, 10:31 PM
I've not read this thread but anyone who isn't saying "stick it right in the bucket" is a ragin dafty.

Joe6-2
28-10-2023, 10:38 AM
What was the consensus? Any plans for improving how we use it going forward? I think we need to be able to hear recordings of the conversations between officials.

Really thought it was a step in the right direction, let’s see some fairness when playing the west coast mafia, how wrong could I be!!

thebakerboy
28-10-2023, 01:05 PM
To me the problems in Scotland are caused by the weegie mafia running it. Very glad it wasnt in place 2016 or they would have found a way to cancel SDG's 92nd minute winner

Stanton Spence
28-10-2023, 01:13 PM
Hate it. And it's not just a knee jerk luddite 'I hate everything new' response. I had very high hopes for it. But its sh**.

That’s exactly how I feel mate and when it was being rumoured that it was coming into the game I was actually all for var how wrong I was and I’ve very much changed my mind
The weird thing is it’s not actually var that I’m against as it could be so good for the game if used properly but the whole thing has not worked
Every week we are getting dubious decisions and that’s with all the replays and angles available so what’s the point?
I also feel that referees now hold back on decisions that they would usually give and wait on var to make the decision instead of doing their own job

WeeRussell
28-10-2023, 02:02 PM

Snap. Although admittedly I never wanted it in the first place. I hate it more than I expected though.

All for new things that don’t ruin the sport. I.E. goal line technology, and I’d also be in favour of stopping the clock when play is dead.

Unfortunately we’re stuck with VAR now. So much money and hype gone into it.. people will just carry on pretending it’s working until we forget what the good old days were like.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-10-2023, 03:42 PM
It's a right pain in the arse for 1st goal scorer bet purposes, drains all the spontaneity from the game.

WeeRussell
28-10-2023, 03:52 PM
Case in point Bournemouth V Burnley right now.

What an absolute ****ing farce.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-10-2023, 04:57 PM
It's a right pain in the arse for 1st goal scorer bet purposes, drains all the spontaneity from the game.

At least I didn't have to wait too long for the Wilson goal for Newcastle to be confirmed. 😄

147lothian
28-10-2023, 05:56 PM
Scrap it the game isn't meant to played in slow motion.

douglashibs
28-10-2023, 06:45 PM
Personally I’d bin it. It sucks the enjoyment out of a goal celebration and leads to nitpicking to a degree the rules were never designed for. It has merely moved where the errors take place.

On the basis it isn’t going to be binned, firstly redefine “clear and obvious” to mean obvious from a quick check. If you can’t see a decision was wrong in 20 seconds it wasn’t a clear and obvious error in my book. Secondly, let the punters who pay to actually come to the game and provide atmosphere know what the heck is going on, what the VAR officials are looking at. Not this limbo of “VAR check” on the screens while we all stand around wondering what the problem is.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2023, 10:11 PM
Scrap it the game isn't meant to played in slow motion.

It already is. The ball’s in place less than 50% of the time.

greenlex
01-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Motherwell commentator reckons var will look at that. No it won’t. There wasn’t a goal scored and it wasn’t even remotely a foul.
Celtic commentator after the linesman flags offside after the move breaks down says “ I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again it’s only a matter of time before someone gets an injury in that situation. It’s been.
A couple of things. A year has past and it hasn’t happened. If it wasn’t offside and the linesman gets it wrong either call ( that’s why they don’t flag right away) the injury might happen in any case. Does my head in in a e comments like that.