PDA

View Full Version : TWO wins in NINE games

AL-Qaholik
21-10-2023, 10:25 PM
Absolutely shocking in a league this poor.
So many players nowhere near the required standard.
Once again, we face a massive rebuild.

Zazu62
21-10-2023, 10:26 PM
And the worst defence in the league

LaMotta
21-10-2023, 10:29 PM
First defeat in seven games.

AL-Qaholik
21-10-2023, 10:33 PM
First defeat in seven games.

So, if we carry this form through the season, you’ll be happy with that?

Pretty Boy
21-10-2023, 10:35 PM
The 3 games v Hearts, Ranger and Celtic was always going to be tough. 1 point from 9 is probably reflective of where we are right now.

9th in the table with 9 points from 9 games and a goal difference of minus 3 is really poor though. That 0 points from the opening 3 games has left us in a bad place, the league is very tight though so a half decent run will see us quickly climb the table.

Hibernia&Alba
21-10-2023, 10:39 PM
It’s poor, no question, hence the previous manager paid the price, but it’s still early in the season and I’m confident we will improve. The squad isn’t good enough to win games consistently, but it should be good enough to be around mid-table in our league. We definitely need to clear a few out and strengthen.

B.H.F.C
21-10-2023, 10:41 PM
Was always going to be ugly viewing after today and next week. We’re not good enough to beat either. Or even compete really.

Ross County, Killie and Dundee has to be 7 points minimum. If it’s not, we could find ourselves in trouble. We have good attacking players but becoming increasingly apparent that that’s not enough.

Mikey_1875
21-10-2023, 10:45 PM
I just can’t see a massive rebuild happening. We’ve already spent more than ever.

The points total isn’t good enough but the first three games can be discounted under LJ I think. One of the main reasons for bringing Monty in (and his main task) will be to get the best out of what he has. The squad at the moment does appear thin on quality though so there is a lot of developing to do or a lot of waiting for contracts to expire.

WhileTheChief..
21-10-2023, 10:49 PM
Things feel like they'll improve, whereas I never felt that under LJ.

Not expecting much from the season, and will be pleasantly surprised if we're challenging for fourth come the end of it. I'm kinda looking at this as a chance for NM to get used to us, figure out what we need, then hit the ground running next year.

If we can beat Aberdeen in the semi that would be a nice wee bonus.

Musselbound
21-10-2023, 10:55 PM
We're only 2 points of 4th as things stand so nothing between most teams in the league at this point in time.

MWHIBBIES
21-10-2023, 11:00 PM
We're only 2 points of 4th as things stand so nothing between most teams in the league at this point in time.

It feels like we've been a few points off 4th for years now. Can we not just be 2 points clear in 3rd for once. It's been a ****ing dreadful start in the league. Club have failed. They should've binned Johnson in the summer tbh.

LaMotta
21-10-2023, 11:06 PM
So, if we carry this form through the season, you’ll be happy with that?

You are being unfairly selective with stats. New manager has been here for 7 Games. He's won 3 drawn 3 & lost 1. It could be better, but it's really not that bad is it?

He's here!
21-10-2023, 11:20 PM
And the worst defence in the league

No surprise there. Having just watched the Rangers goals again on Sportscene I find it terrifying just how awful our defence is.

He's here!
21-10-2023, 11:23 PM

We're also just two points above second bottom with a good chance of ending up there after Celtic beat us.

3 points v County is imperative.

Musselbound
22-10-2023, 12:08 AM
We're also just two points above second bottom with a good chance of ending up there after Celtic beat us.

That's partly my point. There's nothing between most of the teams at the moment so we could easily move up a few places (or down) very quickly. But there's plenty time and no need for panic. We could really do with 3 points but it's not going to define our season.

WeeRussell
22-10-2023, 12:59 AM

It could almost be time for you to resurrect your ‘r word’ thread.. again?

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 01:18 AM

Nice to see you back. Wonder why that is….

WeeRussell
22-10-2023, 01:28 AM
Nice to see you back. Wonder why that is….

Harsh. He was straight on the match day thread at 2-0 down, desperately hoping it wouldn’t get to 5-0, a repeat against Celtic, and the end of Monty.

neil7908
22-10-2023, 02:12 AM
Today is the only truly bad game we've had under Monty. Hearts wasn't great but we fought back from 0-2 and could have won it.

Draws against Killie and Dundee were disappointing but we were easily the better team in both.

I think he's had a good start but it's also clear that our defence is not good enough, question marks over Jeggo and Newell at CM, who starts alongside Vente, if Youan and Boyle work hard enough and hpw many games Marshall will play for us again as its been clear since last season that he's done.

So it's been a good start imo but we'll need reinforcements (again) in January. Hanlon, Stevenson Dodige, ALF and Marshall are not players we can rely on to start as many games as we currently expect.

Stuart93
22-10-2023, 02:20 AM
Important he starts turning the dominant draws into wins.

I’m not sure I’ve been too enthused as some about our start u der Monty whilst admitting it’s been a lot better than under LJ.

Same mistakes from the same players hurting us. Marshall in particular, how many games is he getting until it’s realised

andrew70
22-10-2023, 02:27 AM
Important he starts turning the dominant draws into wins.

I’m not sure I’ve been too enthused as some about our start u der Monty whilst admitting it’s been a lot better than under LJ.

Same mistakes from the same players hurting us. Marshall in particular, how many games is he getting until it’s realised

Marshall won’t be number one for long now that Wollacott is back fit imo.

Marshall is done. We’ve known that for months. Montgomery will see that.

Onion
22-10-2023, 06:31 AM
Monty can't be held responsible for results under LJ, so we need to ignore those when assessing progress. Important thing is NM shows that he's learning and adapting our approach to games and able to spot weaknesses in the team that need fixed by replacing players quickly. If he doesn't, we continue to ship goals and make the same silly mistakes, then we could be in trouble. Too early to tell.

hibee-boys
22-10-2023, 07:35 AM
I’m amazed we’re still 2 points off 4th with the start we’ve had, illustrates how little there is between the vast majority of SPL teams. Next weeks game is another dead rubber in my opinion, however, the game against Aberdeen and next round of league fixtures are vital to kick start our season.

Libby Hibby
22-10-2023, 07:46 AM
0 points from the first 3 games has got us in the position we’re in.

Not the form since we changed management.

The game on Halloween is important as are the rest of the games in the lead up to the crazy December fixture list.

If we’re still struggling in 4 or 5 weeks time, we could be in trouble but I have faith we will have picked up a few wins by then.

LewysGot2
22-10-2023, 08:08 AM
0 points from the first 3 games has got us in the position we’re in.

Not the form since we changed management.

The game on Halloween is important as are the rest of the games in the lead up to the crazy December fixture list.

If we’re still struggling in 4 or 5 weeks time, we could be in trouble but I have faith we will have picked up a few wins by then.

Agree.

At the start of the season and the horrible 0 point run we all looked at October and predicted we’d be in real bother if, by then, we’d not picked up points. When the fixtures came out we all looked as October to be the month of doom.

Since452
22-10-2023, 08:13 AM
You are being unfairly selective with stats. New manager has been here for 7 Games. He's won 3 drawn 3 & lost 1. It could be better, but it's really not that bad is it?

He's won 2. One against the worst team in the league at home.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 08:18 AM

If you caveat the fact that one of his wins came against the team bottom of the league then surely you’ll be overlooking yesterdays defeat as it was at Ibrox.

Or are you still missing Lee too much?

Since452
22-10-2023, 08:19 AM
If you caveat the fact that one of his wins came against the team bottom of the league then surely you’ll be overlooking yesterdays defeat as it was at Ibrox.

Or are you still missing Lee too much?

Don't miss Lee at all. He was correctly sacked. Not sure what you're getting at?

Northernhibee
22-10-2023, 08:22 AM
We’ve just not got a very good squad.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 08:25 AM
Agree.

At the start of the season and the horrible 0 point run we all looked at October and predicted we’d be in real bother if, by then, we’d not picked up points. When the fixtures came out we all looked as October to be the month of doom.

I’m in total agreement that results need to pick up quickly. But we’re where we are because of the mess created by someone else.

Would be stupid to ignore yesterday just as it would be stupid to use it to totally form an opinion on where we are.

Still seen enough from Monty to give me some confidence that things will move in the right direction.

J-C
22-10-2023, 08:28 AM
The problem was allowing Johnson to stay so long, it was plainly obvious he wasn't right for the club but we stuck with him, after hearing some of the things coming out after he's gone I'm surprised it took the board so long to get rid.

Our players are mentally not tough enough, we have leapt from good game to bad game from week to week and it's very frustrating as a fan seeing this season after season. Our injury record has been chronic, I can't remember a time when we had a fully fit squad to choose from, I know players get contact injuries but we have a few players who seem to get injured just by walking on the grass and simple muscle injuries also seem to take forever to heal.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 08:32 AM
Don't miss Lee at all. He was correctly sacked. Not sure what you're getting at?

Just the way I read your posts. Plenty comments about ‘if this was under Johnson’ and so on. Think you were waiting for yesterday to happen so you could jump in with all the stuff about us only having won a couple of games and not really showing any improvement.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 08:36 AM

Agreed, which is really **** considering the money spent.

We will win games here and there because we’ll get something out of Boyle or Youan or whatever. But we are so short defensively it’s unreal.

Since452
22-10-2023, 08:37 AM
Just the way I read your posts. Plenty comments about ‘if this was under Johnson’ and so on. Think you were waiting for yesterday to happen so you could jump in with all the stuff about us only having won a couple of games and not really showing any improvement.

Johnson was rightly sacked for not getting enough from this squad. It's not just yesterday that has me concerned. I said on the 'team v Rangers' thread I saw it coming and that was before the game. It's not just yesterday that has me concerned with Montgomery. He needs to learn. He's still an inexperienced manager so hopefully he does.

The Modfather
22-10-2023, 08:46 AM
Johnson was rightly sacked for not getting enough from this squad. It's not just yesterday that has me concerned. I said on the 'team v Rangers' thread I saw it coming and that was before the game. It's not just yesterday that has me concerned with Montgomery. He needs to learn. He's still an inexperienced manager so hopefully he does.

He was also sacked for spending £2m in the summer window alone, yet despite the money spent over 3 windows he has left a porous defence and terrible midfield, as well as a paper thin squad with no alternatives at RB or left and right wing.

Montgomery inherited good strikers and wingers, and little else outside of that.

Brightside
22-10-2023, 08:52 AM
All hibs need to do is beat the bottom 6. Do that consistently and we finish 3rd.

Libby Hibby
22-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Would the over reaction to some of yesterdays play be calmed slightly if we had changed to a 4-5-1 formation, parked the bus and lost 2 nil for example?

I think we were on a hiding to nothing yesterday but I do agree with BHFC on the approach and desire to yesterday should rightly be questioned and that we are short defensively.

Perhaps it’s time for Levitt to get a wee run in the side at the expense of ALF or (dare i say it) Newell.

MWHIBBIES
22-10-2023, 08:57 AM
We have a decent squad, just woefully equipted to play 442 I think. There is no depth in any positions. Campbell can't play in a 442, JDH is never fit.

Only 2 wide players. Only 3 strikers.

ekhibee
22-10-2023, 09:50 AM
We have a decent squad, just woefully equipted to play 442 I think. There is no depth in any positions. Campbell can't play in a 442, JDH is never fit.

Totally agree with this. The reality is that at the moment we can't afford to make as many changes to the squad as might be necessary. We need good replacements in the event of injuries to key players which has happened to us pretty frequently, personally I would replace most of the defence, and I'd hope that we can produce more quality players from East Mains than we do at the moment, players that will go on to play for the 1st team and not bugger off elsewhere cos they can't get a game here. It ain't gonna happen all at once though,and it's just my opinion.

eastmainsmsh
22-10-2023, 09:59 AM
Would’ve kept Gogic

Steve20
22-10-2023, 10:01 AM
The first 3 games left us in a real bad place to start with. Even since Montgomery has come in, the results haven’t been as good as we should be expecting. Draws against Killie and Dundee are not good if you want to finish 3rd.

But, I think there is improvement in some games and Montgomery can’t be blamed for the state of our defence and midfield as the squad is so poor.

I think he has the right idea, he just needs the right players.

Crab apple
22-10-2023, 10:05 AM
We've got good players in attack. The challenge for Monty will be to work on improving the defence and to a lesser extent the midfield over the next couple of transfer windows.

LaMotta
22-10-2023, 10:15 AM

Sorry I was thinking Aberdeen game was him.

Nicho87
22-10-2023, 11:13 AM
Defence needs changed significantly

Start by removing Marshall

If Harbottle ain’t good enough I can see him being away.

A new centre half is a must plus a possible left back which allows Obita to move further forward.

Moving on the like of JDH, Campbell, Tavares and Bushiri are all possibilities I’d say come January. None of which we’d miss massively

We still carry too much dead wood

h1bs4life
22-10-2023, 11:21 AM
I’m in total agreement that results need to pick up quickly. But we’re where we are because of the mess created by someone else.

Would be stupid to ignore yesterday just as it would be stupid to use it to totally form an opinion on where we are.

Still seen enough from Monty to give me some confidence that things will move in the right direction.

1st defeat in 6 games with a useless squad that he had no input into and the moaning has started.
Personally think he has done not to bad considering the start of the season we had.
One of the positives from me is he has seen what quite a few have seen that Hanlon and Stevenson have had there time . For me centre of defence should be Rocky and Fish till hopefully we can bring in players in January. Marshall is finished so would like to think the new goalie will get his chance.
For me Miller (Fish is not our player ) Obita only because just joined , Boyle , Youan , Vente , Levitt again new player are worth keeping the rest couldn’t care less.
The fact that Whittaker has came fron nowhere and is getting game time before others shows you how poor our squad is .
Doidge should have been long gone but lots were glad he stayed because he did a good podcast .

coldingham hibs
22-10-2023, 11:52 AM
Our inability to play well for more than a half of a game is a real worry and has been going on far too long, Montgomery needs to resolve that.

Our inability to defend has been going on too long, Montgomery needs to resolve that.

So far I haven’t seen either issue look like it is improving.

We are also supposed to be playing an attacking style of football but haven’t scored in 2 of the last 3 games. Not ideal when we concede so easily.

Donegal Hibby
22-10-2023, 12:11 PM
Defence needs changed significantly

Start by removing Marshall

If Harbottle ain’t good enough I can see him being away.

A new centre half is a must plus a possible left back which allows Obita to move further forward.

Moving on the like of JDH, Campbell, Tavares and Bushiri are all possibilities I’d say come January. None of which we’d miss massively

We still carry too much dead wood

We can change the defense significantly in the next window though we are still left with the same Midfield thats unable to give us a decent display for 90 minutes. Midfield is far more a problem than the defense imo .

I didn't actually blame Marshall as much as other posters as I felt the shot was right in the corner though Newell imo was at fault more for not clearing it . Funny on all different threads folk blame Hanlon , Marshall and other players though when it comes to a really bad performance from the midfield , Newell always seems to be exempt for some reason .

Tavares I agree should be moved on as he offers very little and hasn't shown enough to suggest he's worth keeping, Rocky won't be going anywhere as the manager seems to rate him , Campbell and JDH are useful players to have though in order to fix the midfield one might have to go . Campbell isn't getting alot of game time under Monty though I still think he offers us more than JDH does . Previous manager tried to move him on too ! .

Potty78
22-10-2023, 12:24 PM
It feels like we've been a few points off 4th for years now. Can we not just be 2 points clear in 3rd for once. It's been a ****ing dreadful start in the league. Club have failed. They should've binned Johnson in the summer tbh.

Agreed, we should have binned him and given the new manager time to bring in a new defence and midfield. Now we are stuck till Jan. Hopefully we'll still be in the hunt by then!

Cameron1875
22-10-2023, 12:49 PM
A reminder that Aberdeen lost to Darvel with a GK who was at the end of his career (Joe Lewis) and two complete diddies at centre half.

I would say we are in a similar position defensively as they were, and Aberdeen managed to sort it quickly by getting 2 new centre backs on loan and a new GK on their way to finishing 3rd.

We need to just try our best to stay close enough to top 6 and then pray January can help us. It might be a bumpy time for Monty until then but he has my backing!

Percy Vere
22-10-2023, 12:51 PM

One defeat in 7 matches!

Hibees1973
22-10-2023, 12:57 PM
After the last 2 incompetent managers and an incoherent recruitment structure prior to McDermott coming in, it's going to take time to solve the problems created by the club.

Time will tell if we now have the correct people in key roles at the time.

Far too early for threads like this. When you delve into the 'Two wins in nine games' you cannot hold Montgomery full responsibility for this.

I do understand though that after the Celtic game the run of fixtures leading up to Christmas we need to climb the table. Montgomery and Kensall won't want to see us in the bottom three, when pressure can take over and things can spiral out of control. This has happened before at Hibs.

I'm not expecting the earth from Montgomery just now. The club make a big mistake in sacking Johnson too late, which has left Montgomery working with an unbalanced squad and unable to recruit until January.

This year is likely to be a transitional season (yes another). I'm fairly confident we have a good manager now and a competent DOF, who given time, will see us improve and become more consistent.

thebausburst
22-10-2023, 01:07 PM
Like numerous managers previously he has to sort out the leaky defence or we’ll always struggle for any consistency.

SaulGoodman
22-10-2023, 01:29 PM

Does that not count? We failed to beat the bottom team at every attempt last season.

Biggie
22-10-2023, 02:06 PM

Exactly. We're a team of journeymen ramshackled together from the basement market of pro footballers.

Pagan Hibernia
22-10-2023, 02:11 PM
It's not the first or last thrashing for us at ibrox, we can't be judged by our results there. The manager has had a month and a half, he's lost once, and there are signs of good things. Jeezo give him a chance.

erin go bragh
22-10-2023, 04:34 PM
First loss in 7 and this place goes on melt down 🤣🤣🤣
I know whats shocking and its not the team.

jacomo
22-10-2023, 09:08 PM

So true…

Donegal Hibby
23-10-2023, 12:35 AM

What about our current midfield players that have been playing in the killie , hertz and the Sevco games ! ,they been good like ? . Last time Campbell came on he actually had a positive effect on the game , No ? .

MWHIBBIES
23-10-2023, 04:15 AM
What about our current midfield players that have been playing in the killie , hertz and the Sevco games ! ,they been good like ? . Last time Campbell came on he actually had a positive effect on the game , No ? .

They're better options than Campbell in a 442 I think. He could maybe come in for one of the wingers. Newell and Jeggo were good Vs Killie. Campbell didn't touch the ball when he came on that day.

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2023, 04:56 AM

Josh last seen coming on as a sub with young Whittaker against St Mirren 27/9/23 in the Cup on 75 minutes at 2-2 we won 4-2

Either Josh is still carrying an injury and is not fully fit or the Manager just doesn’t fancy him ?

It’s been a disappointing start to the season so far for Josh for whatever reason

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-10-2023, 06:49 AM
He said that he is going to stick with the 442. I understand he wants to bring that belief in his system, but I feel that we don’t really have the quality for that to be effective.

I’d go with:

……………………….Wollacott…………………………..

Miller…………..Fish……….Hanlon…………..Obita

………………………….Jeggo……………………………….

………….Levitt…………………….Newell………………

Boyle……………………………………………….Youann

…………………………..Vente……………………………..

J-C
23-10-2023, 07:03 AM
He said that he is going to stick with the 442. I understand he wants to bring that belief in his system, but I feel that we don’t really have the quality for that to be effective.

I’d go with:

That would be my team also, 442 requires both wide players to drop deep and help out the midfield but as we've seen Youan isn't one to work his socks off and Boyle although he does drop back is pretty ineffectual in midfield because he's fairly lightweight.

BILLYHIBS
23-10-2023, 07:06 AM

I’d go with:

Looking good

Rocky for Hanlon for me

green day
23-10-2023, 08:07 AM

I’d go with:

I dont think many would argue with that as the starting team v Celtic.

They play 3 midfielders (and they are all very good) and if we just play Jeggo and Newell, they will be overrun.

Vente can run his guts out and then sub him for ALF/Doidge as appropriate.

Hibby Kay-Yay
23-10-2023, 08:09 AM
Looking good

Rocky for Hanlon for me

Was a toss up between the two. It’s more important to have Jeggo sitting between the lines to protect the defence. I believe that we have always been tighter, defensively when he has been there.

The shape itself should still play into the style that Monty wants to play. But unlikely he is going to change his formation going by post match comments.

Donegal Hibby
23-10-2023, 12:44 PM
They're better options than Campbell in a 442 I think. He could maybe come in for one of the wingers. Newell and Jeggo were good Vs Killie. Campbell didn't touch the ball when he came on that day.

I'd agree there better options than Campbell in a 4-4-2 though I didn't think we were going to stick with the same formation every week , especially not against the old firm either! .Campbell did have a positive impact in the St mirren game when he came on .

Newell and Jeggo were good up until we scored the 2nd and then we couldn't keep possession and gave it away cheaply, Newell did at least 3 or 4 times which was part of the reason we ended up drawing , fullbacks getting caught out of position due to the way we play 4-4-2 and poor defending other reasons.

Hertz game apart from the opening 10 , 15 minutes you wouldn't know we had a Midfield tbh and Sevco game pretty poor again with Newell costing us a goal in it . I think they had more shots against us than other teams they played there too .

Joe Newell is undoubtedly our best Midfielder and Jeggo is a very good player too though our Midfield have been so inconsistent in games though maybe that's partly down to having two wingers in midfield and both Newell and Jeggo are getting overrun in midfield due to the way we play , who knows? . I certainly don't think Campbells been the problem though! .
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/michael-stewart-pinpoints-nick-montgomery-27963522

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2023, 08:22 PM
So true…

Funny how it seems ....

greenlex
23-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Funny how it seems ....

Always in time.

Kentao1985
24-10-2023, 07:45 AM
We've had a terrible start to the season but we're still only 2 points behind hearts and level with Aberdeen. Although they have a game in hand.

Surely our season can only get better.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk