PDA

View Full Version : Ibrox Inquest

Dashing Bob S
21-10-2023, 04:12 PM
Not a great result or performance but I seriously doubt it’s shown Monty anything he doesn’t already know. A lot of overreacting here, but we’ll be judged on what happens in games like the first three of the season and Hearts/A’deen rather than any OF nonsense.

Terrible defending though and didn’t pack much of a threat from a fair amount of possession.

Since452
21-10-2023, 04:18 PM
A predictable scoreline given the way he set up and I hope he doesn't repeat it against Celtic. A couple of moral sapping pumpings isn't what we need leading up to a semi. Won't be long before teams in this league have us and our formation sussed out if they haven't already. That's the difference between this league and the A League. Better teams and better managers. The manager needs to show he can mix it up when he needs to. Worried about the semi to be honest.

A Hi-Bee
21-10-2023, 04:21 PM
A predictable scoreline given the way he set up and I hope he doesn't repeat it against Celtic. A couple of moral sapping pumpings isn't what we need leading up to a semi. Won't be long before teams in this league have us and our formation sussed out if they haven't already. That's the difference between this league and the A League. Better teams and better managers. The manager needs to show he can mix it up when he needs to. Worried about the semi to be honest.

Another stewards enquiry by forum, is no whats needed, we just need better players, Monty boy will be right for Hibs, I have little faith in the bed wetters.

Nicho87
21-10-2023, 04:28 PM
Honeymoon over

Welcome to hibs

😊

The Baldmans Comb
21-10-2023, 04:33 PM
A lesson for Montgomery which he would do well to try to learn from.

This isn't the Kangaroo league and you need to be able to adapt to the opposition and playing 4:2:4 against Sevco was a predictable disaster just as it was for Johnson away to Celtic last year.

Sevco also had a new manager who identified the huge weakness of the Hibs formation and who got a real shift out of his players whereas Montgomery looked very much out of his depth and just failed to understand that Sevco away is one of the hardest away fixtures of the season.

No great harm done other than confidence but good for the manager to get a reality check on what Scottish football is about.

Hibs4185
21-10-2023, 04:34 PM
Marshall and Hanlon need dropped.

Give the new keeper a go and bushiri is good enough to take over.

Defence has been the weak point all season. Whilst maybe not permanent solutions, two quick fixes. Can’t be any worse

The Tubs
21-10-2023, 04:46 PM
The shape didn't seem to be a problem but alertness and basic ability to pass the ball were.

I'd start Whittaker over Miller next week.

Broken Gnome
21-10-2023, 04:50 PM
I'd agree on the overreacting. Crap result, four going on many more, but there doesn't half seem to be a lot of aggression whereby NM has to learn pronto or he'll get what's coming to him.

He's just in the door, I'd wager he felt entirely entitled to try out something like that in Glasgow. He repeats it without any improvement or acknowledgement that it doesn't work, then he's worthy of justified criticism. Until then, this determination to scream THERE'S NO PLAN B does seem a little hysterical.

DH1875
21-10-2023, 04:52 PM
We beat ourselves today.

Shrekko
21-10-2023, 04:57 PM
I’ve been quite surprised that our utterly shambolic defending over a number of weeks hasn’t really been too heavily criticised. Chickens came home to roost today- we weren’t able to gloss over it with any decent attacking play.

We won’t have any kind of success with this defence and especially our goalie.

Since452
21-10-2023, 04:59 PM
I’ve been quite surprised that our utterly shambolic defending over a number of weeks hasn’t really been too heavily criticised. Chickens came home to roost today- we weren’t able to gloss over it with any decent attacking play.

We won’t have any kind of success with this defence and especially our goalie.

Yup. Said since about the first game of the season we have a top 4 attack and bottom 4 defence. I'd just hoped a couple of weeks on the training pitch without a game might have seen a bit more of a structured defence. All over the place today.

Carheenlea
21-10-2023, 05:04 PM
We have a rotating starting defence who individual can be reasonable enough, but we don’t have what could be described as a solid defensive unit. They don’t appear to work as one and gaps appear easily and often.

The defence are being challenged to be brave on the ball and keep possession to build attacks from deep, but the main task of the defence really has to be to defend in a robust and disciplined manner.

Teams don’t really have to work too hard to open us up for shots on goal. With a keeper whose retirement is looming that’s far from ideal. We’ll do fine against the lesser teams but visits to Ibox and Parkhead are going to continue to be a struggle if we continue in this vein.

Franck Stanton
21-10-2023, 05:07 PM
What I find strange on these forums,is, prior to the game most, if not all, were happy with the team picked, ( some only changing one of the chosen eleven) & now, we have comments that Month is out of his depth, and posters saying that they knew with team/ formation we would get beat. Wise to moan after the event. We got beat, not the end of the world, we usually lose at castle greyskull anyway. Move on. Our season won't be decided by the ugly sisters games.

SteveHFC
21-10-2023, 05:08 PM
We beat ourselves today.

100% we made it easy for them by gifting the ball to them in our half

Allyg69
21-10-2023, 05:28 PM
What I find strange on these forums,is, prior to the game most, if not all, were happy with the team picked, ( some only changing one of the chosen eleven) & now, we have comments that Month is out of his depth, and posters saying that they knew with team/ formation we would get beat. Wise to moan after the event. We got beat, not the end of the world, we usually lose at castle greyskull anyway. Move on. Our season won't be decided by the ugly sisters games.
👏👏

matty_f
21-10-2023, 05:39 PM
You can’t play with that lethargy, that lack of care, and lack of aggression at any level and expect to take anything from the game.

We didn’t have a single player that won their individual battle. Nobody found passes with any degree of consistency, we were soft, passive… nowhere near good enough.

You can blame the system, and it’s definitely a factor, but if players don’t do the basics, the non-negotiable things that get cited, then you get embarrassed as we did today.

That defence/that defending is unacceptable, The goalkeeper needs changed, he just doesn’t save enough of the shots that he should. Capable of a great save now and again but we don’t need that, we need someone who saves what they should.

Very annoyed, very disappointed after that today.

Since452
21-10-2023, 05:43 PM
We've turned up at Tynecastle and Ibrox and started the games like they didn't matter.

john rossi
21-10-2023, 05:45 PM
Not a great result or performance but I seriously doubt it’s shown Monty anything he doesn’t already know. A lot of overreacting here, but we’ll be judged on what happens in games like the first three of the season and Hearts/A’deen rather than any OF nonsense.

Terrible defending though and didn’t pack much of a threat from a fair amount of possession.
Montgomery has to realise that playing 424 at Ibrox was a recipe for disaster A leauge is a big step up to Scottish premier leauge has to learn fast or we are on downward spiral.

JohnM1875
21-10-2023, 05:49 PM
Montgomery has to realise that playing 424 at Ibrox was a recipe for disaster A leauge is a big step up to Scottish premier leauge has to learn fast or we are on downward spiral.

Quite a lot of stuff Montgomery 'has to realise' after today eh? Can't play a 424, can't play a 442, has to make better subs blah blah blah.

Got beat 4-0 at Ibrox. Aye, it's ****. But unfortunately it'll happen again.

Allant1981
21-10-2023, 05:50 PM

Is that what made him an imposter!!

Broken Gnome
21-10-2023, 05:56 PM
Quite a lot of stuff Montgomery 'has to realise' after today eh? Can't play a 424, can't play a 442, has to make better subs blah blah blah.

Agree. A lot of this stuff is really condescending.

Broken Gnome
21-10-2023, 05:59 PM
We've turned up at Tynecastle and Ibrox and started the games like they didn't matter.

I think we're due a bit more credit than that - we started fine against Hearts and were well in the game in the first 15 minutes, and despite looking a bit all at sea in some areas today we had alright moments at 0-0.

If anything the criticism is that we have a setback, get knocked out of whatever stride we have, aren't good enough to simply keen doing what we're doing until it works, then are forced into a sizeable rethink come half-time. The second goal today put that prospect right to bed though.

eaststandstoner
21-10-2023, 06:01 PM

[emoji1319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinello59
21-10-2023, 06:02 PM

I always think individual performances count more than formation.

JohnM1875
21-10-2023, 06:03 PM

It's crazy. No one likes it, but it now appears football fans just can't accept defeat and when it happens everyone is ***** and the worlds caved in.

Can't even get a proper discussion about it most of the times these days because folks views are so extreme they just can't be brought around.

HarpOnHibee
21-10-2023, 06:06 PM

Formation, tactics and individual performances are all paramount. I don't think the players had much hope of performing well today with that formation and tactics though.

Onion
21-10-2023, 06:07 PM
Bottom line is .... Huns are not good enough to compete properly with Celtic, so reserve their Bigot release for matches against a mid-table Hibs team with a tenth of their turnover. Truly heroic stuff :greengrin

4-0 v Hibs = all is right in Hun World for about 5 minutes until the reality of yet another expensive failed season for Sevco kick in.

Hearts world revolves around matches against Hibs, and increasingly so for The Rangers. Sad ****ers.

Not In The Know
21-10-2023, 06:10 PM
I think we're due a bit more credit than that - we started fine against Hearts and were well in the game in the first 15 minutes, and despite looking a bit all at sea in some areas today we had alright moments at 0-0.

If anything the criticism is that we have a setback, get knocked out of whatever stride we have, aren't good enough to simply keen doing what we're doing until it works, then are forced into a sizeable rethink come half-time. The second goal today put that prospect right to bed though.

a better keeper and another decent centre half and this way will win more games than it loses.

I still have reservations about Boyle and Ellie in the same team against stong opposition tho.

JimBHibees
21-10-2023, 06:10 PM
We beat ourselves today.

Yep huge number of individual mistakes Rangers had done next to nothing first half and were two up.

Not In The Know
21-10-2023, 06:12 PM
Bottom line is .... Huns are not good enough to compete properly with Celtic, so reserve their Bigot release for matches against a mid-table Hibs team with a tenth of their turnover. Truly heroic stuff :greengrin

4-0 v Hibs = all is right in Hun World for about 5 minutes until the reality of yet another expensive failed season for Sevco kick in.

Hearts world revolves around matches against Hibs, and increasingly so for The Rangers. Sad ****ers.

This. But let’s not turn into canon fodder…

The Harp Awakes
21-10-2023, 06:22 PM

Our starting line up scared me both today and at Tiny. When you go to Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tiny you are never going to dominate possession with 2 in midfield, unless of course they are Rodri and Messi. It means our 2 wingers, as good as they can be on the ball, will seldom be in the game.

Thanks to Sibbick we got out of jail last week and today we played into Rangers' hands. The same Rangers team who were well beaten by Aberdeen, and very lucky to beat Motherwell, both at home recently.

Hibees1973
21-10-2023, 06:22 PM

Think all of us get the gist of your opinion today. All your posts have a common theme.

Cut the guy a wee bit slack. It was his first defeat today. I've seen a lot of Hibs teams, way better than the current one, crumble at Tiny & Ibrox.

What is not in any doubt is that he has taken over the job, in between transfer windows, with a fair bit of dross in the squad to work with.

Way to early to be over critical of Montgomery.

JohnM1875
21-10-2023, 06:23 PM
Our starting line up scared me both today and at Tiny. When you go to Ibrox, Celtic Park and Tiny you are never going to dominate possession with 2 in midfield, unless of course they are Rodri and Messi. It means our 2 wingers, as good as they can be on the ball, will seldom be in the game.

Thanks to Sibbick we got out of jail last week and today we played into Rangers' hands. The same Rangers team who were well beaten by Aberdeen, and very lucky to beat Motherwell, both at home recently.

Messi in central midfield is all i'm taking from that.

Since452
21-10-2023, 06:24 PM

Plenty called it correctly before the game

Broken Gnome
21-10-2023, 06:25 PM
Think the real inquest might be here sadly...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11406902/rangers-hibs-grafitti-ibrox-disaster-the-queen/

JohnM1875
21-10-2023, 06:27 PM

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11406902/rangers-hibs-grafitti-ibrox-disaster-the-queen/

**** sake. That is really poor.

Start to lose the moral high ground when they visit Easter Road with stuff like this.

Alfred E Newman
21-10-2023, 06:27 PM
It was more or less agreed by the vast majority on here that the squad was not good enough a month ago.
Monty is not going to suddenly change that. He has improved the style of play but the old weaknesses are still there. We have plenty good attacking options but the midfield is still unbalanced and soft in front of a fragile defence.

LewysGot2
21-10-2023, 06:31 PM

But there'll be some who continue to deny we've an antisocial cohort who care not one jot for their fellow Hibs fans at away games. This isn't high jinks.

Lago
21-10-2023, 06:36 PM

This isn't the Kangaroo league and you need to be able to adapt to the opposition and playing 4:2:4 against Sevco was a predictable disaster just as it was for Johnson away to Celtic last year.

Sevco also had a new manager who identified the huge weakness of the Hibs formation and who got a real shift out of his players whereas Montgomery looked very much out of his depth and just failed to understand that Sevco away is one of the hardest away fixtures of the season.

No great harm done other than confidence but good for the manager to get a reality check on what Scottish football is about.
What a patronising piece of nonsense

marinello59
21-10-2023, 06:39 PM

Those of us old enough to remember the Ibrox disaster will recall how fans of all clubs came together to grieve for those lost.
We will get hammered for this and rightly so.

HarpOnHibee
21-10-2023, 06:40 PM

Idiots who do stuff like this should be named and shamed before being slapped with a 20 year ban. If only the media put the same effort into calling out the idiots on ALL sides.

JammyDoidger
21-10-2023, 06:44 PM

Absolutely disgusting, Hibs should track the individuals down and ban them. Embarrassed by that tbh.

matty_f
21-10-2023, 07:02 PM

Absolutely.

TrinityHFC
21-10-2023, 07:12 PM
Sometimes you have to play to strengths. Ours are the pace of Boyle and Youan. Unfortunately the way we play the 442 means they are totally wasted. Far too narrow and deep for most of the game.

jacomo
21-10-2023, 09:24 PM
Those of us old enough to remember the Ibrox disaster will recall how fans of all clubs came together to grieve for those lost.
We will get hammered for this and rightly so.

:agree:

Colr
21-10-2023, 10:43 PM
………..basic ability to pass the ball.

Perennial Hibs problem. For decades now

Forza Fred
22-10-2023, 02:01 AM

Yep, generally 11 better players on one side compared to the other will beat the other side.

Hardly a surprise that we lose at Ibrox, regardless of formation, but we seemed to meekly surrender today.

I’d be asking the sports scientist we brought in for a refund.

Iain G
22-10-2023, 07:14 AM
Plenty called it correctly before the game

If you cry wolf enough times it's likely to come true at least once.

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2023, 07:30 AM
If you cry wolf enough times it's likely to come true at least once.

Are mixing up the broken clock thing with wolves?!

Would you rather only read posts that are positive, happy with everything NM does and always tipping us to win?

Seems like a few of you want this forum to go that down that route this season.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2023, 07:48 AM
Yep, generally 11 better players on one side compared to the other will beat the other side.

Hardly a surprise that we lose at Ibrox, regardless of formation, but we seemed to meekly surrender today.

I’d be asking the sports scientist we brought in for a refund.

What concerned me was the lack of belief and fight shown.

We didn’t do the simple things, like win tackles, that you need to do to win a game, never mind win a game at Ibrox. We didn’t compete and had very little about us from early on in the game. It’s a concern as I didn’t expect it from a Montgomery team.

Iain G
22-10-2023, 08:56 AM
Are mixing up the broken clock thing with wolves?!

Would you rather only read posts that are positive, happy with everything NM does and always tipping us to win?

Seems like a few of you want this forum to go that down that route this season.

Why has the wolf not got his clock fixed? 😁

I would like some kind of balance and not the melodrama that is generated after (or in this case before as well as after) a setback. It's one thing to be pissed off after a game but to be pissed off before hand as well?

tamh
22-10-2023, 08:59 AM

Spot on:flag:

JimBHibees
22-10-2023, 09:02 AM

Think the first half we had more possession than Rangers the issue was how badly we gave it away and how poorly we defended both in terms of shape and also how slow we reacted.

Brightside
22-10-2023, 09:05 AM
The ridiculous idea of a thread called the Ibrox inquest. Honestly. 😂

tamig
22-10-2023, 09:45 AM
Sometimes you have to play to strengths. Ours are the pace of Boyle and Youan. Unfortunately the way we play the 442 means they are totally wasted. Far too narrow and deep for most of the game.

It doesn’t help when said players just aren’t on it. That’s one of the poorest and most ineffective performances I’ve seen from Boyle for a very long time. Memories of Wembley still at the front of his mind.