PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bobby Charlton

marinello59
21-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Bobby Charlton has passed away, an all time great. Sad news.

Keith_M
21-10-2023, 03:08 PM
That is sad news.

A hero to English Fans of his era and a real gentleman.

HoboHarry
21-10-2023, 03:11 PM
Very sad to hear. There can't be many left from the winning 66 team.

leith lynx
21-10-2023, 03:12 PM
Sad to hear, fantastic player, RIP.

Lancs Harp
21-10-2023, 03:15 PM
Very sad to hear. There can't be many left from the winning 66 team.

Just Geoff Hurst I think. Just out of interest how many Scots are still around from the 67 team?

RIP Bobby, great player.

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2023, 03:18 PM
That's sad.

The word legend is used and abused these days but there was a football legend for club and country.

I'm not religious but I'd like to think he's reunited in some way with his friends that he lost in that awful accident 65 years ago.

HoboHarry
21-10-2023, 03:19 PM
Just Geoff Hurst I think. Just out of interest how many Scots are still around from the 67 team?

RIP Bobby, great player.

Greig, Lennox, Wallace and Law I think. May even be a couple more. McCreadie and McCalliog?

heretoday
21-10-2023, 03:24 PM
What an intelligent player he was on and off the park.
Old school. I don't think he was ever booked hardly.

Hibernia&Alba
21-10-2023, 03:28 PM
I’m gutted by this news. A great player, a great ambassador for Manchester United, and a lovely man. He survived the Munich crash and went on to win everything in the game. The word legend gets overused, but Bobby was a legend. Every football fan in the world knew who Bobby Charlton was. Very sad indeed.

AltheHibby
21-10-2023, 03:43 PM
In Dudley, where I used to live, there is a statue of Duncan Edwards. On the plinth is a quote from Sir Bobby: "he was the only player who ever made me feel inferior." That is such a great tribute and typical of Sir Bobby.

Locals told me that whenever he was in the area he would take time to visit Mrs Edwards.

He was a true gentleman, and a wonderful footballer.

RIP

Lancs Harp
21-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Englands best ever player?

Trinity Hibee
21-10-2023, 03:48 PM

Would be hard to argue with that given his achievements, goals and caps.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Magnificent player RIP Bobby 😔

A Hi-Bee
21-10-2023, 04:10 PM
Just seen this very sad news and thoughts go out to his family.
Wonderful player. RIP Bobby.

Hibernia&Alba
21-10-2023, 04:14 PM
In Dudley, where I used to live, there is a statue of Duncan Edwards. On the plinth is a quote from Sir Bobby: "he was the only player who ever made me feel inferior." That is such a great tribute and typical of Sir Bobby.

Locals told me that whenever he was in the area he would take time to visit Mrs Edwards.

He was a true gentleman, and a wonderful footballer.

RIP

Yes, Duncan Edwards was Bobby’s best friend and Bobby idolised him. When you think he was about 19 when the Munich crash happened, and he was back playing just three weeks later, after losing so many friends. He had to grow up very fast. Jack Charlton always said Bobby was never the same guy after the crash. He was much more serious and melancholy. No grief counselling back then, it was a case of get your boots on, we need you to play.

Keith_M
21-10-2023, 05:05 PM

Hard to say, mate, as there's been so many but must surely be up there among the best.

Baader
21-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Legend of the game. RIP

lapsedhibee
21-10-2023, 06:04 PM
Hard to say, mate, as there's been so many but must surely be up there among the best.

Possibly second, after Joe Baker.

Lancs Harp
21-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Possibly second, after Joe Baker.

😀👍

Just_Jimmy
21-10-2023, 06:32 PM
I always felt it was special that I shared a birthday with him.

I met him once in Manchester, I told him I shared his birthday and he replied "nah our kid, I share yours". A total gent.

I'm back in Scotland now, but I'd have put flowers down at the trinity statue this evening no question.

RIP Sir Bobby. United's greatest.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Lago
21-10-2023, 06:33 PM
I would say so, my late father in law was a Charlton from a small County Durham mining village called Greenside, he was a distant relation to Bobby and Jack, I was privileged to see Bobby playing for England v Scotland at Hampden in the 60s,fabulous player.

He's here!
21-10-2023, 09:11 PM

Not just England's best but one of the best in global football history.

HoboHarry
22-10-2023, 04:09 AM
On another note, it's been a tough week for Sir Alex. Lost his wife and a close friend within a matter of a few days. I'd imagine that would hit most people hard.

Bostonhibby
22-10-2023, 09:53 AM
Fantastic footballer and a thoroughly decent man.

RIP

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
22-10-2023, 11:07 AM
Think you’d struggle to find anyone regardless of where they’re from or which club they support that disliked Bobby. Not that common for such a great player, and telling of his personality.

RIP

Pretty Boy
22-10-2023, 11:10 AM
I think it's inarguable that the word legend befits Bobby Charlton.

He's one of those iconic figures you grow up hearing stories about and seeing grainy footage of his exploits. It's hard to really put into context a man who saw 8 team mates and several other colleagues die and others seriously injured, including himself, then come back and win the World Cup, European Cup and multiple league titles.

RIP.

greenlex
22-10-2023, 03:32 PM
Met him once in the Nitten Star Club one Hogmanay in the mid 70s. I was playing/training with the U21s and we had been training that evening. We all piled into the club for a beer after training. I was pretty young to be playing juvenile u21 I’d be about 16 I think. He saw the juvenile team were in and came over for a chat. Asked who was the striker. Me with my hand up as I acknowledged him. He asked what my goal tally was at the time. Can’t remember the answer but it was a few but probably nit enough. He says I give you two pieces of advice. Firstly never be afraid to shoot. If you don’t shoot you won’t score. Secondly that pint in your hand will do you no favours. He was just shaking his head. Never forgot either to be honest but ignored one more that the other. Good man he was.

ancient hibee
22-10-2023, 04:42 PM
Saw him play his first international for England at Hampden. Only a couple of months after Munich.Took a cross from Finney on the drop and crashed it past Younger. Game was well over and he got a great reception from the crowd.

marinello59
22-10-2023, 04:45 PM
Met him once in the Nitten Star Club one Hogmanay in the mid 70s. I was playing/training with the U21s and we had been training that evening. We all piled into the club for a beer after training. I was pretty young to be playing juvenile u21 I’d be about 16 I think. He saw the juvenile team were in and came over for a chat. Asked who was the striker. Me with my hand up as I acknowledged him. He asked what my goal tally was at the time. Can’t remember the answer but it was a few but probably nit enough. He says I give you two pieces of advice. Firstly never be afraid to shoot. If you don’t shoot you won’t score. Secondly that pint in your hand will do you no favours. He was just shaking his head. Never forgot either to be honest but ignored one more that the other. Good man he was.

Sometimes this place throws up a wee gem of a story, this is one.

Speedy
22-10-2023, 04:53 PM

Apart from anything else, why was Bobby Charlton in Nitten for hogmanay :greengrin

greenlex
22-10-2023, 04:59 PM
Apart from anything else, why was Bobby Charlton in Nitten for hogmanay :greengrin

His brother (obviously not wor Jackie) worked in the mines rescue at the Lady Victoria back in the day and he was up visiting.

marinello59
22-10-2023, 05:01 PM

I know .:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2023, 05:01 PM

Yes, great wee story. I wonder how many times Bobby tried warning George Best about the drink in his hand. It didn’t work, sadly.

CropleyWasGod
22-10-2023, 05:41 PM
For all his achievements, one thing he failed at was making the comb-over cool. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2023, 05:44 PM
For all his achievements, one thing he failed at was making the comb-over cool. :greengrin

Aye, the era before bald guys just shaved it off. Rare to see a comb-over now, thankfully.

PatHead
24-10-2023, 09:31 AM
RIP. A world class footballer and by all accounts an even better person.

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2023, 09:44 PM
Documentary starting now BBC1

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2023, 10:19 PM
That goal against Mexico was as sweet as a nut

Sublime

RIP Sir Bobby

ancient hibee
26-10-2023, 04:43 PM
That goal against Mexico was as sweet as a nut

Sublime

RIP Sir Bobby

It was also important. England had played about a game and a half in the tournament with pretty few attempts never mind scoring.

Lancs Harp
26-10-2023, 04:47 PM
I see City have banned two juvinile fans for distrupting the City tribute to Bobby.

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2023, 07:10 PM
It was also important. England had played about a game and a half in the tournament with pretty few attempts never mind scoring.
The first of the wingless wonders IIRC