PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Barker

hibees 7062
11-10-2023, 12:07 PM
Without a club . What’s happened to this guy . Trent Alexander Arnold said he was the only player that destroyed him in his career . What a waste

neil7908
11-10-2023, 12:13 PM
He had some terrible luck with injuries but I always had the suspicion that he maybe wasn't the most disciplined or committed.

From memory, he was earning somethings like £10k a week at 18, and I suspect its a classic case of all that money and early hype going to his head.

The few times he turned it on at Hibs you could see how high his level was.

gbhibby
11-10-2023, 12:21 PM
Had a conversation with his dad when he was with us, he loved playing for us and working under Neil Lennon. There was a video on YouTube when he was with Man City saying that he was Man City's Gareth Bale. Hope he gets a club,he was a player that got the bums off seats when he got the ball and ran a defenders when he was here.

hibees 7062
11-10-2023, 12:28 PM
He had some terrible luck with injuries but I always had the suspicion that he maybe wasn't the most disciplined or committed.

From memory, he was earning somethings like £10k a week at 18, and I suspect its a classic case of all that money and early hype going to his head.

The few times he turned it on at Hibs you could see how high his level was. I’m sure it was £20k a week Neil . He was on £2500 a week in Cyprus

Spudster
11-10-2023, 12:40 PM
Trent Alexander Arnold said he was the only player that destroyed him in his career .
We all know that isn't true though :tee hee: One of the most positionally unware full backs I've ever seen.

Centre Hawf
11-10-2023, 12:41 PM
To be fair it's the type of player I'd consider taking on a short term deal for cover in the wide areas.

Since452
11-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Thought this tread was going to be about his retirement. Don't think it'll be long.

Smartie
11-10-2023, 12:54 PM
I thought he could have done with coming back to us for the next year after his first loan spell. He clearly had talent but at that point no end product. If he'd come back to us he'd have been a first pick and you'd have hoped that he'd be able to work on that part of his game and see it improve the same way it did with Martin Boyle (injury permitting).

Unfortunately, I reckon with these lads who are paid absolute fortunes to be nowhere near the first team at clubs like City, they have quite a high opinion of themselves so they aim to play at absolutely the highest level they can and he's ended up being peripheral at bigger clubs since then.

I believe Fish will be much the stronger for having had a couple of stints with us and he'll play at a higher level when the time is right.

Oscar T Grouch
11-10-2023, 01:39 PM
He is 27 now and even though he only played 27 games for us, we are still the club he has played most games for. Think you could file him under 'unfulfilled potential'.Will probably sign for a lower league English club and make a decent enough living off of football still. I would not want him back at Hibs.

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2023, 01:45 PM
must be in his 40's by now shirly :greengrin

Baader
11-10-2023, 01:55 PM
Sad to hear as liked him and thought he was a good player. Something obviously has gone wrong somewhere.

jacomo
11-10-2023, 02:07 PM
I thought he could have done with coming back to us for the next year after his first loan spell. He clearly had talent but at that point no end product. If he'd come back to us he'd have been a first pick and you'd have hoped that he'd be able to work on that part of his game and see it improve the same way it did with Martin Boyle (injury permitting).

Unfortunately, I reckon with these lads who are paid absolute fortunes to be nowhere near the first team at clubs like City, they have quite a high opinion of themselves so they aim to play at absolutely the highest level they can and he's ended up being peripheral at bigger clubs since then.

I believe Fish will be much the stronger for having had a couple of stints with us and he'll play at a higher level when the time is right.

He had no end product at Sevco either. Blindingly quick and eye-catching at times but I just don’t think he’s a very good footballer.

A bit like Alan O’Brien really.

Haymaker
11-10-2023, 02:21 PM

Absolutely. These lads get huge money, treated like kings and when clubs release them (and they will) they only want the money and the club name.

So many get such a high opinion of themselves they refuse to even consider a "step down". They don't want the game they want the money and fame.

overdrive
11-10-2023, 03:40 PM
must be in his 40's by now shirly :greengrin

He looked like he was in his 50s when he was with us

Northernhibee
11-10-2023, 04:59 PM
Brilliant at getting the ball up the pitch but had absolutely no end product whatsoever.

tamig
11-10-2023, 05:03 PM
He had no end product at Sevco either. Blindingly quick and eye-catching at times but I just don’t think he’s a very good footballer.

A bit like Alan O’Brien really.

He was on a different level to AOB.

Billy Whizz
11-10-2023, 05:23 PM
Brilliant at getting the ball up the pitch but had absolutely no end product whatsoever.

That’s my memory of him. Was fantastic to see him running at defences, but it all fell apart when he got in the box
Many injuries don’t help his chances of getting a deal

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2023, 05:35 PM
He looked like he was in his 50s when he was with us

it's the Receeding hairline effect :lips seal

Lancs Harp
11-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Should sign for Fleetwood Lee will turn him into a world beater.

Lendo
11-10-2023, 05:50 PM
Amazed to learn that he’s actually considered a league winner with Rangers.

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2023, 06:05 PM
Looked busy scurrying up the wing with the ball at his feet but no end product as others have said

Would not trust him on a one on one

I remember on his debut he pulled out of a 50:50 and got so much abuse but tbf he never did that again

Remember Lenny played him up top in a must win game at Tiny

Dearie me

A better career move might have been sticking with us rather than the dark side as Lenny might have got a tune out of him as he liked it here but I suppose money came into it

Next

SChibs
11-10-2023, 06:14 PM
In hindsight can't blame him for joining Rangers as they probably offered him the most cash. Valuable now that injuries look to have got the better of him

JammyDoidger
11-10-2023, 06:16 PM
I would give him a chance on a one year contract tbh, we aren't exactly blessed with depth in the wide areas, him coming on with 20 to go would be a different option.

ekhibee
11-10-2023, 06:18 PM
Agreed he didn't score goals, but there have been a lot of far less skillful players who played for us and contributed pretty well nothing. At times he was really good to watch, he clearly had skill unlike AOB who had lots of pace and no skill at all.

The Modfather
11-10-2023, 06:22 PM
I liked him, and thought he was threatening to fulfil his potential by the time he left. I remember a midweek night match at home to Rangers. Think he might have come on as a sub, was unplayable that game, also hitting the post after a Messi like run.

Wonder if he’d be a better short term option on the bench rather than Tavares.

JammyDoidger
11-10-2023, 06:24 PM
I liked him, and thought he was threatening to fulfil his potential by the time he left. I remember a midweek night match at home to Rangers. Think he might have come on as a sub, was unplayable that game, also hitting the post after a Messi like run.

Wonder if he’d be a better short term option on the bench rather than Tavares.

100% would be a better option than Tavares. You'd be a better option than Tavares.

Bridge hibs
11-10-2023, 07:35 PM
it's the Receeding hairline effect :lips seal27307

double sided carpet tape should work :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
11-10-2023, 07:48 PM

double sided carpet tape should work :greengrin

saw that one in one of my earlier google searches, looks like a side pony-tail :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
11-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Without a club . What’s happened to this guy . Trent Alexander Arnold said he was the only player that destroyed him in his career . What a waste

Trent must have said that many years ago. Been destroyed plenty since then.

Speedy
11-10-2023, 10:10 PM
Great on a highlights reel but rarely a finished product.

Bostonhibby
11-10-2023, 10:38 PM
He was on a different level to AOB.[emoji106]

Kawasaki RD 200 in comparison

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibees 7062
11-10-2023, 11:06 PM
Trent must have said that many years ago. Been destroyed plenty since then.
Said it on his latest blog

Stevie Reid
12-10-2023, 12:05 AM
I really enjoyed watching Barker in his time with us. Skinned many a full back and had phenomenal pace.

Didn’t always deliver at the end but a meaningful contribution in games doesn’t always have to be quantified by goals and assists - running a full back ragged for much of a game can still play a big part in winning matches.

shetlandhibee
12-10-2023, 01:23 AM

This ,,,,

hibees 7062
12-10-2023, 02:01 AM
Monty might be the man for him . Worth a try

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Said it on his latest blog

Whoosh

DH1875
12-10-2023, 08:52 AM
Maybe their mates and he's trying to help him find a club by throwing his name out there.

hibees 7062
12-10-2023, 10:56 AM
Whoosh

😝 two feet

patlowe
12-10-2023, 11:16 AM
I really enjoyed watching Barker in his time with us. Skinned many a full back and had phenomenal pace.

Didn’t always deliver at the end but a meaningful contribution in games doesn’t always have to be quantified by goals and assists - running a full back ragged for much of a game can still play a big part in winning matches.

Absolutely - had Tavernier on toast a few times and (even off the bench) was a key part of that Lennon team that really went for the jugular against the old firm. Great fun.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2023, 05:05 AM
He was okay. Took him months to show anything. Never ran in behind despite his pace, rarely tracked back, looked a bit lost when he did. I think he looked decent in a very good Hibs side, but don't think hed be any use now.

Forza Fred
13-10-2023, 07:19 AM
He undoubtedly had pace, but thought that was about it.

Interestingly, he played more games for Hibs than any other side.

Northernhibee
13-10-2023, 07:21 AM
He undoubtedly had pace, but thought that was about it.

Interestingly, he played more games for Hibs than any other side.

He scored two goals for us, that’s a pitiful return. I remember his assist stats being poor too.

He’s one of those ones that a manager will look at and think “if I can coach him to make better decisions I’ll have a star” but if it was going to happen, it would have by now.

Youan may be frustrating, but he’s ten times the player Barker was.

Musselbound
15-10-2023, 09:23 PM
He scored two goals for us, that’s a pitiful return. I remember his assist stats being poor too.

He’s one of those ones that a manager will look at and think “if I can coach him to make better decisions I’ll have a star” but if it was going to happen, it would have by now.

Youan may be frustrating, but he’s ten times the player Barker was.

Yep. Can only imagine what those who find Youan really frustrating must have made of Barker.

ekhibee
15-10-2023, 10:44 PM
He was okay. Took him months to show anything. Never ran in behind despite his pace, rarely tracked back, looked a bit lost when he did. I think he looked decent in a very good Hibs side, but don't think hed be any use now.

What do you mean he took months to show anything? he had a really good first game for us, maybe you didn't see him.

King Cosell
15-10-2023, 11:47 PM
Remember a midweek 2017/18 game v Rangers. Stevenson put us 1-0 up early, they scored twice just before HT. Second half, loads of chances, Barker hit the post twice and we had a stonewall pen denied. 2-1 defeat but magnificent stuff from Hibs. Pretty sure Barker was MOTM.

Stubbsy90+2
16-10-2023, 07:20 AM
Quite enjoyed watching him.

Under no illusions his end product was terrible, but he was fairly exciting.

Clarence
16-10-2023, 07:47 AM
I’m the age of the academy footballer, it was probably quite different to play against Barker and his bag of tricks but he always flattered to deceive and ultimately the stats don’t lie.

MWHIBBIES
16-10-2023, 08:28 AM
What do you mean he took months to show anything? he had a really good first game for us, maybe you didn't see him.

I seen him plenty. Was a very slow start. Bit part player, injuries, we didn't always play wingers etc. Got a few assists early on but his play was poor imo. Picked up in the last few months.

hibsdaft
16-10-2023, 08:28 AM
Had his moments, but overall one of the most overrated Hibs players in recent years imho. No end product. Appalling workrate. And no football brain.

matty_f
16-10-2023, 08:44 AM
Quite enjoyed watching him.

Under no illusions his end product was terrible, but he was fairly exciting.

That’s exactly how I felt about him.

Since452
16-10-2023, 08:55 AM
If he had an end product he'd still be playing at the highest level but unfortunately for him he didn't and that was the most important part of his job. Our other speed merchants, Sproule and Boyle, improved that part of their game. Barker didn't. Don't know if that was down to lack of desire of lack of ability.

Kato
16-10-2023, 09:08 AM
I’m the age of the academy footballer, it was probably quite different to play against Barker and his bag of tricks but he always flattered to deceive and ultimately the stats don’t lie.It's like he had never watched football. When you're a nipper your acquiring your, ahem, football iq - trying to emulate your heroes, more importantly your heroes ideas. Could get clear of anyone then didn't know what to do.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

tamig
16-10-2023, 10:58 AM
Remember a midweek 2017/18 game v Rangers. Stevenson put us 1-0 up early, they scored twice just before HT. Second half, loads of chances, Barker hit the post twice and we had a stonewall pen denied. 2-1 defeat but magnificent stuff from Hibs. Pretty sure Barker was MOTM.

He was outstanding that night. For me he was a player who got you off your seat. No idea what he’s like nowadays though.

jacomo
16-10-2023, 10:26 PM
He was on a different level to AOB.

Was he really though? Had a busy running style and pace to burn, which made folk think something was about to happen, but it never did.

jacomo
16-10-2023, 10:28 PM
Should sign for Fleetwood Lee will turn him into a world beater.

He’ll set down a marker with Barker.

Michael
17-10-2023, 04:50 AM
Was he really though? Had a busy running style and pace to burn, which made folk think something was about to happen, but it never did.

BB was an exciting player - although his scoring record wasn't great, he definitely caused teams problems. With AOB all you could expect was a sideways pass.

Since452
17-10-2023, 08:23 AM
For sheer entertainment, Paddy McCourt is a player i'd have loved Hibs to sign back in the day. He's have been a cult hero here. Brandon Barker with an end product.

MWHIBBIES
17-10-2023, 08:41 AM
For sheer entertainment, Paddy McCourt is a player i'd have loved Hibs to sign back in the day. He's have been a cult hero here. Brandon Barker with an end product.

Glad we didn't. Sex offender.

easty
17-10-2023, 08:54 AM

Given that Barker left Hibs and played in the Championship down south, then moved to Rangers and started in european games...while AOB left Hibs and moved to a couple of English League 1 teams, I'd say he was clearly on another level.

.Sean.
17-10-2023, 09:20 AM
Had his moments, but overall one of the most overrated Hibs players in recent years imho. No end product. Appalling workrate. And no football brain.
And on top of that he wore a quite horrific wig.

You’re lucky if he had half a dozen quality games for us. I thought he was proper average albeit with glimpses where he could be a gamechanger.

J-C
17-10-2023, 09:28 AM
Got you off your seat to quickly sitting back down again due to him losing the ball or putting in a piss poor cross.

jacomo
17-10-2023, 07:33 PM
Given that Barker left Hibs and played in the Championship down south, then moved to Rangers and started in european games...while AOB left Hibs and moved to a couple of English League 1 teams, I'd say he was clearly on another level.

Oliver Burke then. Another winger with impressive pace and lots of big clubs on his CV… but in reality a piss poor footballer.

H18 SFR
17-10-2023, 08:48 PM
Oliver Burke then. Another winger with impressive pace and lots of big clubs on his CV… but in reality a piss poor footballer.

£37 million in transfer fees…

erin go bragh
24-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Brilliant assist to Simon Murray in the Derby

Carheenlea
24-10-2023, 08:39 PM

On this day 2017. Enjoyed watching that strike today on Hibs twitter, and a fine assist as you say :top marks

Mick O'Rourke
24-10-2023, 09:13 PM

Lovely bit of skill from BB and a cheeky and cracking finish from a delighted Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuX4gsCHiF8

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2023, 09:16 PM
Lovely bit of skill from BB and a cheeky and cracking finish from a delighted Simon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuX4gsCHiF8

Nutmeg on Soapy Soutar was sublime

Girls don’t like boys girls like Simon Murray

Mick O'Rourke
25-10-2023, 01:57 PM
Brandon, of course, was out on loan to a number of clubs whilst at Manchester City.
The laddie maybe thought he was bigger than those clubs who took him on.
Then sevco came along with a deal and Brandon spent most of his time there growing piles and warming benches and stand seats .

His bank balance may well have benefited during his time at sevco.
His football didn't.
He maybe reflects now,being a bit older,that if personal on field success in football was as important as cash,or even ego,his career may have taken a better,more fruitful path.
Who knows ? Lenny, it seems,certainly liked him .:greengrin