PDA

View Full Version : Next fortnight..

LewysGot2
08-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Interesting comments from NM in post match press conference. No time off over the next fortnight for those not on international duty - they'll be on the training ground.

Mentioned they're training harder than they'd been used to prior to his arrival.

He's definitely not messing about. Think they had time off last international break but off the back of an intense few weeks of Sunday Thursday Sundays but not this time.

Col2
08-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Interesting comments from NM in post match press conference. No time off over the next fortnight for those not on international duty - they'll be on the training ground.

Mentioned they're training harder than they'd been used to prior to his arrival.

He's definitely not messing about. Think they had time off last international break but off the back of an intense few weeks of Sunday Thursday Sundays but not this time.

I heard the bit about training harder which I loved. This guy is going to get the very best from this squad and hopefully bring in a few in Jan as well.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2023, 11:02 AM
The difference in attitude to what went before is night and day. I feel like we have someone with a real desire to win and the players will need to be on board with him or they’ll be out the door.

wookie70
08-10-2023, 11:23 AM
The difference in attitude to what went before is night and day. I feel like we have someone with a real desire to win and the players will need to be on board with him or they’ll be out the door.

Players look happier too which I think always gives a clue to how a manager is doing. I was down at training the other week and the atmosphere was really good. Much like any job if everyone feels happy and part of a collective then you will get the best out of people. There is also something to be said from having a pretty simple system and sticking to it. Less confusion and complication and the manager looks in control. I liked that diddy McLaughlin asking Montgomery about the change to a 532 in the second half and Nick saying we hadn't. What we had was the full backs pushing on and the central midfielders dropping deeper at teh start of moves. A slight change to teh system that meant the onus was taken off Rocky and we started to knock it about far better.

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2023, 11:56 AM
Pretty sure he'll manage the situation to ensure the right amount of rest as well though, we have two tough games after the break.

What was interesting after yesterday's game was the way Elie Youan reacted to his half time rocket. Firstly happy to admit he had gotten one, but also reacted in the right way to it on the pitch. It seems NM might have the knack of knowing just the right time for a bit of straight talking, while still keeping the respect of his players.

If he has one frustration it will probably be the number of draws, its a bit weird to have had the unbeaten start he's had and still find the team 7th in the league, possibly 8th, by the end of the weekend.

wookie70
08-10-2023, 12:05 PM
Pretty sure he'll manage the situation to ensure the right amount of rest as well though, we have two tough games after the break.

What was interesting after yesterday's game was the way Elie Youan reacted to his half time rocket. Firstly happy to admit he had gotten one, but also reacted in the right way to it on the pitch. It seems NM might have the knack of knowing just the right time for a bit of straight talking, while still keeping the respect of his players.

If he has one frustration it will probably be the number of draws, its a bit weird to have had the unbeaten start he's had and still find the team 7th in the league, possibly 8th, by the end of the weekend.

Even though he was open about his challenge he did it in a way that he also gave support. He said Elie was very talented. So instead of a Lennon or Johnson who just talked about the problem being the player it was more constructive and actually a constructive challenge. Elie seemed to think it was fair. He also talked about it openly when it is clear it had worked for him and Elie so no danger in doing so.

The last 5 league games we would be sitting second to Celtic so although the current position isn't great it isn't Montgomery's fault

matty_f
08-10-2023, 12:28 PM
Even though he was open about his challenge he did it in a way that he also gave support. He said Elie was very talented. So instead of a Lennon or Johnson who just talked about the problem being the player it was more constructive and actually a constructive challenge. Elie seemed to think it was fair. He also talked about it openly when it is clear it had worked for him and Elie so no danger in doing so.

The last 5 league games we would be sitting second to Celtic so although the current position isn't great it isn't Montgomery's fault

To be fair to Johnson, he often gave balanced appraisals as well - even the infamous Fish/Lion comment was prefaced by praise for Fish and followed by mitigation as to why it happened. Just everyone chose to hone in on the criticism.

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2023, 12:37 PM

It wasn't criticism mate, you cant argue with the start he has made to his Hibs career, he inherited a team playing catch up after a poor start, the two down sides are losing the two goal lead at Killie and failing to beat Dundee, games we could and maybe should have won, but that's balanced by a super win against St Mirren in the LC and a great fightback at Tynecastle yesterday.

There's far more positives than negatives so far.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2023, 12:37 PM

This quarter we’re chasing the damage done from the first three games, all of which, even under Johnson, you’d expect us to win. 0 from 9 points is a terrible start to a fixture card which should have given us momentum going into the derby and OF games.

Even if 9 points is pushing it, we’re at least 5 or 6 in deficit to where we should be.

St Mirren was a good litmus test. Had dominant pressure in both games but went from 2-3 to 4-2 in three weeks under Monty.

Garymcl
08-10-2023, 03:12 PM
Huns away then Celtic at home pretty confident we can pick up points from these game huns are pants go there and attack we’re at home against a Celtic team who are not firing on all cylinders at this moment I fancy us against anybody two good results here would have us going to Hampden for a place in the final bring it on 🇳🇬

bingo70
08-10-2023, 03:32 PM
Huns away then Celtic at home pretty confident we can pick up points from these game huns are pants go there and attack we’re at home against a Celtic team who are not firing on all cylinders at this moment I fancy us against anybody two good results here would have us going to Hampden for a place in the final bring it on 🇳🇬

Will probably be Huns new managers first game in charge. I think that game could be a struggle to be honest. Celtic don’t appear to be the same side they were last season though.

Tambo
08-10-2023, 03:37 PM
The next two games will be tough imo, I wonder how Monty will approach them? I don't see him changing much.

We still look a bit vulnerable from wide areas, no reason not to go and have a go in the two games but will need a good defensive shift from the players.

Hibees1973
08-10-2023, 06:49 PM
The next two games will be tough imo, I wonder how Monty will approach them? I don't see him changing much.

We still look a bit vulnerable from wide areas, no reason not to go and have a go in the two games but will need a good defensive shift from the players.

Will be interesting how he sets us up for these games.

I may be wrong but apart from the Celtic game at the tail of of last season when they had a player sent off and we won 4-2, games against the OF under Johnson were absolutely dire.

I remember Rangers taking us apart and trouncing us at ER. Also shipping loads of goals against Celtic.

Games against these two are likely to highlight our main deficiencies. Poor defending and being overrun in midfield.

Clearly, we have enough attacking options when these guys are on it. But with the current squad at his disposal can Montgomery get the balance right in the next two games.

Skol
08-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Will he play both Boyle and Youan or will one start and the other get the last 30 mins with either Campbell or levitt instead?

B.H.F.C
08-10-2023, 07:50 PM
Will he play both Boyle and Youan or will one start and the other get the last 30 mins with either Campbell or levitt instead?

Boyle and Youan will both play every game when available.

If he was going to change he’d sacrifice a striker. But I don’t think he will change anything anyway.

Ryan91
08-10-2023, 07:54 PM
Boyle and Youan will both play every game when available.

If he was going to change he’d sacrifice a striker. But I don’t think he will change anything anyway.

Against Celtic I'd like to see us set up more compact, maybe 5 across the midfield but with Youan and/or Boyle operating more like wide strikers if the opportunity presents itself. Seems like the sort of game for ALF up top alone.

Keepthefaith
08-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Celtic play ath. Madrid midweek before us, they'll need to go all out to win that which could go in our favour. The huns play Sparta Prague after us so will have an eye to that too.

I'd be happy to stay unbeaten before we race Ross county at on on 31st and then the semi. It's a huge few weeks ahead!

Pretty Boy
08-10-2023, 08:18 PM
I said on the Youan thread that I liked that Monty was demanding more from players. It seems to be done in the right way though as Youan mentioned the criticism, accepted it and quite evidently responded to it in the right manner.

I like what I'm hearing about little things like expecting players to help clear up after training and the like as well. If it's good enough for the All Blacks then it's good enough for us; if a player doesn't like that or feels it's beneath them then frankly they are a character I don't want at Hibs.

I'm glad to hear those not on international duty will be worked hard whilst others are away. Anyone away with their national side isn't on a jolly, they will be working hard so it should be the same for those left at home.

Hibs are working with a bit of a handicap against our competitors for 3rd in terms of budget so we need to squeeze everything out of what we have. If Monty is setting higher standards, demanding more from individuals and working us harder to get there then I'm all for it. Any player with an ounce of ambition will feel the same, Elie Youan being a positive example based on his words yesterday

JimBHibees
08-10-2023, 09:17 PM
I said on the Youan thread that I liked that Monty was demanding more from players. It seems to be done in the right way though as Youan mentioned the criticism, accepted it and quite evidently responded to it in the right manner.

I like what I'm hearing about little things like expecting players to help clear up after training and the like as well. If it's good enough for the All Blacks then it's good enough for us; if a player doesn't like that or feels it's beneath them then frankly they are a character I don't want at Hibs.

I'm glad to hear those not on international duty will be worked hard whilst others are away. Anyone away with their national side isn't on a jolly, they will be working hard so it should be the same for those left at home.

Hibs are working with a bit of a handicap against our competitors for 3rd in terms of budget so we need to squeeze everything out of what we have. If Monty is setting higher standards, demanding more from individuals and working us harder to get there then I'm all for it. Any player with an ounce of ambition will feel the same, Elie Youan being a positive example based on his words yesterday

I would say definitely under Johnson we tended to be very poor after international breaks and kind of wonder what the heck we were doing.

Cat Stanton
08-10-2023, 10:10 PM

Porteous made an interesting (aka worrying) comment when with Scotland last season - about how much harder the training was. More or less said it was night and day. Which made me worry about what was happening at the club at the time.

Phil MaGlass
09-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Porteous made an interesting (aka worrying) comment when with Scotland last season - about how much harder the training was. More or less said it was night and day. Which made me worry about what was happening at the club at the time.

Aye I dont get why ere not fitter, I've heard players that have left us mention this aswell, are we not training them properly, sometimes in the past the team has looked dead on their feet after 60mins.

Hibernian Verse
09-10-2023, 11:13 AM
NM will have an eye on the Semi Final as well. He'll want us cooking before it.

Since452
09-10-2023, 11:37 AM
I hope he works on getting a performance out of us for more than 45 minutes. It's an issue he's inherited to be fair. All too often we only turn up for one of the halfs and it's bloody frustrating.

Northernhibee
09-10-2023, 12:07 PM
We kept hearing about "natural born winner" and "winning mentality" about one particular name for the Hibs job put forward by the Glasgow media, but this is what an actual winning mentality looks like. Ange Postecoglou had it as well.

Relentless, intense, don't give up even when it looks as if hope is lost, and keep working hard to improve. It also comes with a healthy dose of humility, honesty, and man management skills.

He's got the best mentality of any Hibs manager that I can remember in a long, long time.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2023, 12:11 PM
I hope he works on getting a performance out of us for more than 45 minutes. It's an issue he's inherited to be fair. All too often we only turn up for one of the halfs and it's bloody frustrating.

Agreed, for me it's the midfield that's the problem . I don't think Monty will do this though I'd play one striker up front and have a extra Midfielder in for both our games against the old firm , probably Levitt or Campbell.

WhileTheChief..
09-10-2023, 12:41 PM

Yup, it’s good to see.

Must be so much better for the players than when LJ was around.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2023, 02:13 PM
i imagine it's been mentioned elsewhere on here but i was thinking the other day is their any other side in the league that has a run of games against Hearts/Sevco/Sellick, i'm sure last season and maybe even the one before we've had to play both old firm sides after each other

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2023, 02:25 PM
i imagine it's been mentioned elsewhere on here but i was thinking the other day is their any other side in the league that has a run of games against Hearts/Sevco/Sellick, i'm sure last season and maybe even the one before we've had to play both old firm sides after each other

Hearts have the same right right now. Us, Celtic, Rangers.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2023, 02:39 PM
Hearts have the same right right now. Us, Celtic, Rangers.

oh right, i never look at their fixtures

nae luck for them either then, i feel for them :greengrin

B.H.F.C
09-10-2023, 05:24 PM
NM will have an eye on the Semi Final as well. He'll want us cooking before it.

I don’t think that’ll be too much in his thinking. Three games before it and we need to start getting some points on the board. Anything we can get from the first two games back is a bonus but we could be looking at going in to the Ross County game on Halloween in 10th or 11th position, given how tight the league is, if we don’t pick anything up from the big two.

Not concerned by that given it’s so early and the league changes week on week. It’s also down to the shambles of the first three games rather than anything Monty has done although we should really be at least a couple of points better off since he came in.

truehibernian
09-10-2023, 05:47 PM

His most telling comment, and I loved hearing it, was that ramping up sessions will stand us in far better footing towards the business end of the season - he’s already making demands now so we are in a better position towards February March. Clearly the inference was fitness levels and intensity needed improved. He’s clearly a very good man manager too, he’s played at a very high level, and commands respect.

Also helps not texting players telling them where their faults lie 😂 I reckon NM just tells them straight, no nonsense, and doesn’t tell players he’s the best manager they’ll play for.

I think the January and summer windows will be exciting too as I reckon him and his backroom team will look outside the box and bring in some exciting talents from further afield than Europe. Really really impressed with him so far, and it goes beyond the cliched ‘manager bounce’.