PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 most talented players.

flash
06-10-2023, 11:12 AM
Here's a wee something I was thinking about and thought might make interesting content.

Who are the 3 most naturally talented footballers you have seen in a Hibs shirt? They don't need to have been here for ages or been particularly successful with us.

Mine are in no particular order;

Derek Riordan - scorer and creator of some of the beat goals I have seen Hibs score. On his day simply magnificent.

Russell Latapy - the wee magician. How we ever got him when we did I have no idea. Absolutely unplayable at his peak.

Ally MacLeod - my childhood hero. Not known for getting around the park so made up for it by making the ball talk.

Anyone fancy adding to this?

Forza Fred
06-10-2023, 11:20 AM
Pat Stanton
Willie Hamilton
Eric Stevenson

Halmyre Hibee
06-10-2023, 11:21 AM
George Best, Franck Sauzee, Russell Latapy.

BILLYHIBS
06-10-2023, 11:22 AM
Alex Edwards
John Collins
Zemmama

Bostonhibby
06-10-2023, 11:27 AM
I could fill it with 3 tornadoes. Pat Stanton, John Brownlie and Alex Cropley.

But I won't. Derek Riordan, Frank Sauzee and John Collins.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lugz
06-10-2023, 11:28 AM
Sauzee - despite his age when he played for us, the class was there for all to see can only imagine what he was like for Marseille and France.

Latapy - the most skillful player I've seen at Easter Road. Going past players, link up play, absolute joy to watch.

This one might be a bit out there: Stokes - when I think about supporting hibs since the early 90s I cannot think of a better individual performance than he had in the cup final. I think if his attitude/professionalism was better he'd never have been anywhere near Easter Road.

Since452
06-10-2023, 11:28 AM
Random one but Chick Charnley. What an unbelievable talent. Must have been some player in his younger days. Wonder what stopped him going right to the top.

04Sauzee
06-10-2023, 11:29 AM
In my time, probably. Latapy, Collins and Riordan

500miles
06-10-2023, 11:34 AM
Russell Latapy should be on every single list. He should have been world class.

Garry O'connor was a sensational talent. Prolific goalscorer and uniquely physically gifted that would have seen him play at the very top if he had any brains or discipline.

Griffiths. Had everything Riordan had plus speed and a deceptive kind of strength and ability to hold a low centre of gravity that allowed him to lead the line. Just didn't have the discipline to keep improving.

Pretty Boy
06-10-2023, 11:34 AM
I can only recall fleeting moments of his time at Hibs but I remember being at a Sportsmans Dinner and Gordon Strachan described Chic Charnley as the most naturally gifted player Scotland had produced in years. He said if he had a brain and the discipline to match his talent then he would have been a superstar. I suppose it's hard to really say because he was a bit of an old fashioned showman, getting him to stick rigidly to a system in the way the modern game demands probably would have blunted him.

Derek Riordan is a a no brainer for me. Could play with both feet, he could score goals, create goals, stroll past defenders like they weren't there and on song he was a joy to watch.

I'd throw Leigh Griffiths into the mix in recent times. The full season he was on loan at us was arguably the most complete striker I have ever seen at Hibs. 28 goals, he was often played up top on his own and held the ball up brilliantly, he was underrated in the air and ran himself into the ground week after week. Thanks to him a disappointing 7th placed finish wasn't far worse. Only Griffiths, Doyle and Wotherspoon scored more than 2 goals that season and Griffiths scored more than double the former and almost 6 times the number of the latter. We were all but a one man band. The number of late winners and equalisers he scored was unreal.

A Hi-Bee
06-10-2023, 11:35 AM
This ones been done to death but hey ho here we go, Stanton, Cormack and Willie Hamilton.
:flag::flag::flag:

Bostonhibby
06-10-2023, 11:38 AM
This ones been done to death but hey ho here we go, Stanton, Cormack and Willie Hamilton.
:flag::flag::flag:Every elder member of my Hibs supporting family always went for Willie Hamilton, sadly I've no personal recollection of seeing him play live.

A Hi-Bee
06-10-2023, 11:43 AM
Every elder member of my Hibs supporting family always went for Willie Hamilton, sadly I've no personal recollection of seeing him play live.

He really, was different gravy as they say today, a very special talent, taken way too young.
Jock Stein, no less and a man who knew a bit about the game said that Willie was the best he ever coached/managed.
I was no around to see the great Gordon Smith, but every one would say he was the best ever.

Silky
06-10-2023, 11:46 AM
It's a difficult one. I think Latapy has to be there-phenomenal player. I was privielged to see him play. Sauzee as well. Finally choice, I've debated this one. I'm going for Michael O'Neill. I loved watching him. Could play either wing effortlessly and, I remember, used to take corners with both feet! So many more could have made that list.

Gmack7
06-10-2023, 11:46 AM
Best Archibald Latapy

CockneyRebel
06-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Archibald, Darren Jackson, Goram - if no goalies to be chosen then Chris Killen. These are not my absolute favourites just trying to put a few forward that made a big difference while they were here.

Manxhibs
06-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Latapy, Sauzee and Riordan for me

flash
06-10-2023, 12:07 PM
I will add an honourable mention for Scott Allan. For a spell when he was here it was almost like watching Latapy again.

Stubbsy90+2
06-10-2023, 12:10 PM
In my life time I’d go for Latapy, Riordan and Griffiths.

Probably doing Sauzee a disservice because when I think of naturally gifted players I instantly think of attacking players.

As someone else said though, Latapy should be on every list imo. In my lifetime especially he should be number 1 on everyone’s list, in terms of natural ability he’s the best I’ve seen by a country mile.

Trinity Hibee
06-10-2023, 12:10 PM
Latapy, Sauzee and Riordan for me

Think I have to agree with this as someone who is in their mid 30s.

The Modfather
06-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Difficult to argue against the names already listed, but a shout out to David Murphy. The first touch he had was a thing of beauty.

marinello59
06-10-2023, 12:36 PM
Random one but Chick Charnley. What an unbelievable talent. Must have been some player in his younger days. Wonder what stopped him going right to the top.

That’s a great shout, an extremely talented player. Possibly his temperament held him back, his onfield discipline wasn’t the best.

Stubbsy90+2
06-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Difficult to argue against the names already listed, but a shout out to David Murphy. The first touch he had was a thing of beauty.

Great shout :agree:

heidtheba
06-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Most of the names mentioned here are definitely above my personal favourite, but this guy was my favourite Hibs player when I was an ST holder in the mid-90s. Kevin McAllister. Absolutely loved watching him on the ball. And it was great to see/awful to see (cos he'd left Hibs) what he did almost singlehandedly against Hearts in the 1998 Cup Semi.

Pete70
06-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Best
Edwards
Cropley

Norrieg
06-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Willie Hamilton
Pat Stanton
Eric Stevenson

Fanforlife
06-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Willie Hamilton, Alex Edwards, Russell Latapy.

WeeRussell
06-10-2023, 01:08 PM
Think I have to agree with this as someone who is in their mid 30s.

Snap.

All opinions but for me, despite being lucky to have O’Connor, Fletcher, Benji around the same era, and latterly Griffiths… Riordan was ahead of them all for talent. Easily.

And Wee Russell might be a **** poster, but remains my favourite hibs player of all time. Proper proper talent.

HoboHarry
06-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Old enough to remember Pat Stanton playing so he's a stick on and joined by Sauzee and Latapy. Brilliant brilliant footballers one and all. Loved watching David Zitelli with us too mind you......

He's here!
06-10-2023, 01:29 PM
The ever-dwindling number of fans lucky enough to have seen him play would say no other Hibs player could hold a candle to Gordon Smith.

I'd agree with pretty much all those listed so far and maybe add Steve Archibald. Terrific talent who lit up the late 80s (an otherwise dire decade for Hibs). The young Gordon Durie was a hugely exciting striker, really mature for his age, while more recently Scott Allan in full flow was a lovely footballer.

Green Reaper
06-10-2023, 01:40 PM
Best, Archibald, Sauzee

wookie70
06-10-2023, 01:53 PM
Talent probably has different definitions for some fans. I'm going to go for three very different types of players

Gordon Durie - Perhaps not what most would think of in terms of talent but he had energy and drive that most players can only dream of and combined that with being a very good player too. His talent would just be effectiveness

Collins - Perhaps not just natural talent as he worked on his physique and game relentlessly. Not many players can hold down an entire side of the pitch on their own but he did it often. His tackling was also fantastic

George Best - In my 50 years the best player(over his career) to have played for the club albeit he arrived well past his prime. Playing drunk and having not trained he still looked about as good as most of teh players in the league and that was when Scottish Clubs were a force in Europe

Victor
06-10-2023, 02:06 PM
Archibald, Sauzee, Latapy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zitelli62
06-10-2023, 02:44 PM
Old enough to remember Pat Stanton playing so he's a stick on and joined by Sauzee and Latapy. Brilliant brilliant footballers one and all. Loved watching David Zitelli with us too mind you......

My 3 also all great players also as my user name states he was also a hero of mine.

J-C
06-10-2023, 02:55 PM
How on earth do pick just 3, I'll go with Cropley, Riordan and Latapy.

Dashing Bob S
06-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Best, Archibald, Sauzee

Pretty hard to argue with

Rumble de Thump
06-10-2023, 03:10 PM
Latapy, Zemama and Michael O'Neill. But Bojang was on fire in his short time here.

Glass half full
06-10-2023, 03:10 PM
John Collins
Michael O'Neill - some of the goals he scored were brilliant
Zemmama

My old Grandad said Joe Baker was the best finisher and his favourite player.
Then Gordon Smith and John Brownlie.

I'll conceded that his are far better than mine but I never grew up in 1930s Leith.

ancient hibee
06-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnston,Lawrie Reilly.

closely followed by

Joe Baker,Willie Hamilton,Pat Stanton.

Eyrie
06-10-2023, 05:15 PM
Of the players that I've seen, it would be Latapy, Latapy and Latapy.

gbhibby
06-10-2023, 05:19 PM
The three goalscorers on Saturday

andrew70
06-10-2023, 05:20 PM
Riordan
Latapy
Fletcher

Stevie Reid
06-10-2023, 05:25 PM
It's a difficult one. I think Latapy has to be there-phenomenal player. I was privielged to see him play. Sauzee as well. Finally choice, I've debated this one. I'm going for Michael O'Neill. I loved watching him. Could play either wing effortlessly and, I remember, used to take corners with both feet! So many more could have made that list.

Michael O’Neill was in my thoughts as well. My three would probably be Sauzee, Latapy and Collins, but reckon MON would be number four.

happiehibbie
06-10-2023, 05:32 PM
I would always go with Stanton 1st every time

here is a few tho

Darren Jackson
Alex Edwards
Steve Archibald
Michael O Neil
Riorden
Scott Allan

A Hi-Bee
06-10-2023, 05:40 PM

closely followed by

Joe Baker,Willie Hamilton,Pat Stanton.

:top marks

HoboHarry
06-10-2023, 05:59 PM
The three goalscorers on Saturday
What about the other two?

stu in nottingham
06-10-2023, 06:26 PM
George Best was the most naturally player I've ever seen for any team. His balance was incomparable and invention and instinctive play too. For all his incredible dribbling and scoring of spectacular goals, I've heard top pros saying he was also actually one of the hardest, toughest players they played against too.

Pat Stanton was a great natural athlete, read the game supremely well, he was smooth and classy and seemed to play with all the time in the world on his hands. The ultimate 'Rolls-Royce' footballer.

Peter Cormack was really an all-round natural talent and could do pretty well anything on a football pitch, even play between the sticks. He had a fantastic and well-timed leap on him, was an instinctive ball-player and always had an eye for a goal. For a man of his size he had a tremendous dig on him too.

Skol
06-10-2023, 06:31 PM
Latapy, sauzee and Archibald with Collins close. I did see Stanton and some of the tornadoes plus ally Macleod but my memories of them are sketchy. Oh and best.

For all that I loved riordan, O’Connor, griffiths, none of them feature. Boozy and brown were better imo and also a case could be made for fletcher. I enjoyed watching zemmamma and benji as well.

eastmainsmsh
06-10-2023, 06:32 PM
Latapy Sauzee Archibald

SON OF PADDY
06-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Alex Edwards
Jimmy O'Rourke
Russell Latapy

I feel blessed to have seen these guys, play for Hibernian.

WhileTheChief..
06-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Too young to remember seeing any of the payers from the 70s in games I'd have been at.

The 80s were pretty grim generally for us 3 but I'll go with Goram, Collins and Sauzee as they all played regularly.

If we're talking about the players in their prime, Best would top the list as the stand out, it wouldn't even be close. But if we're talking about who the most talented was whilst playing for Hibs, then Archibald would be a good shout.

Bostonhibby
06-10-2023, 07:02 PM

closely followed by

Joe Baker,Willie Hamilton,Pat Stanton.Bloody hell, I'm wishing my life away, wish I'd been there.

JammyDoidger
06-10-2023, 07:44 PM
Sauzee, Latapy, Griffiths

Griffiths was outstanding, some of his free kicks were a joke, even the 2 against England, world class at striking a football.