PDA

View Full Version : Team vs hearts

Tambo
03-10-2023, 06:33 AM
Most of the team has picked itself in recent weeks with Monty changing a few players.

Rocky or Hanlon
Stevenson or Obita
ALF or Doidge

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

ALF
Vente

Rocky did play well vs St Johnstone but have a feeling Hanlon will start.

McGruber
03-10-2023, 06:42 AM
Most of the team has picked itself in recent weeks with Monty changing a few players.

Rocky or Hanlon
Stevenson or Obita
ALF or Doidge

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

ALF
Vente

Think that will be the 11. I'd consider changing tact a bit though and possibly start the game with an extra body in midfield. Bring ALF and Doidge on later in the game. Boyle, Youan and Vente still gives us plenty options. Will be a midfield battle and need to play our way into the game I feel

S4uzee
03-10-2023, 06:50 AM
Wonder if we’ll play the same way of short goal kicks and passing round the back. Don’t want us to change for Hearts but they’ll put us under pressure more than any team we’ve played so far

Heisenberg
03-10-2023, 07:14 AM
Wonder if we’ll play the same way of short goal kicks and passing round the back. Don’t want us to change for Hearts but they’ll put us under pressure more than any team we’ve played so far

I don’t see Montgomery changing it for anyone. Interesting to see what happens if he goes with the same approach in the next few games.

18Craig75
03-10-2023, 07:17 AM
It’s good if Hearts put us under pressure, means we can break their press if we’re on it. I think that’s exactly the style Montgomery is trying to introduce. Would hate to see us change it just for them. Too many times in the past we’ve lowered ourselves to their level and been drawn into a battle which we always inevitably lose.

Hibee Mac
03-10-2023, 07:27 AM
Wonder if the small pitch will change the way we want to play at all

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Jones28
03-10-2023, 07:29 AM

Previous managers adapted and changed our style at Tynecastle and it rarely worked. Play our game, be aggressive, change for nobody, **** the Hearts.

B.H.F.C
03-10-2023, 07:35 AM

The way we want to play we actually need teams to press us so we can then get Boyle and Youan away. Tighter pitch makes it more difficult right enough.

We actually look at our most dangerous when other teams come at us and we manage to nick it.

Montgomery definitely won’t change from the start. Think he does need to be prepared to change if it’s not working though.

mcohibs
03-10-2023, 08:06 AM

Rocky or Hanlon
Stevenson or Obita
ALF or Doidge

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

ALF
Vente

That’s exactly how I’d start. Our strongest team at the moment IMO. Hopefully Youan is firing on all cylinders. When he’s on it, he can make a difference for us in these types of games.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 09:17 AM
If NM doesn't adapt his approach then he will learn the hard way. We would have been smashed playing v the OF the way we set up on Saturday. Hopefully , he will recognise that Dundee, St Johnston, St Mirren and Killie are very different propositions to playing one of the Ugliests.

The Hearts game, it will be war on the pitch , again we need to make sure they just don't go straight through the middle. Dundee's central midfielders saw a lot of the ball and linked well with their front men, we will lose on Saturday with the same tactics.

B.H.F.C
03-10-2023, 09:26 AM
If NM doesn't adapt his approach then he will learn the hard way. We would have been smashed playing v the OF the way we set up on Saturday. Hopefully , he will recognise that Dundee, St Johnston, St Mirren and Killie are very different propositions to playing one of the Ugliests.

The Hearts game, it will be war on the pitch , again we need to make sure they just don't go straight through the middle. Dundee's central midfielders saw a lot of the ball and linked well with their front men, we will lose on Saturday with the same tactics.

You’re going to be disappointed if you expect him to change.

I think there are tweaks you can make and ask players to do slightly different things but he’s not going to change the shape from outset.

I know it wasn’t under Montgomery but we just had the two in the middle against Luzern at ER, who are significantly better than the likes of Dundee, and that worked out fine. Even against a better level of opposition, it can still work.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 10:18 AM
You’re going to be disappointed if you expect him to change.

I think there are tweaks you can make and ask players to do slightly different things but he’s not going to change the shape from outset.

I know it wasn’t under Montgomery but we just had the two in the middle against Luzern at ER, who are significantly better than the likes of Dundee, and that worked out fine. Even against a better level of opposition, it can still work.

Any manager who plays without flexibility won't last long up here. The games v Luzern, we triumphed but could easily have lost both games, especially in Switzerland, we rode our luck big time.

Hearts are also, much as I hate to say it, a bit more of a challenge than Dundee.

Time will tell, but I don't think we will win with a central two v them.

B.H.F.C
03-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Any manager who plays without flexibility won't last long up here. The games v Luzern, we triumphed but could easily have lost both games, especially in Switzerland, we rode our luck big time.

Hearts are also, much as I hate to say it, a bit more of a challenge than Dundee.

We rode our luck in Switzerland with the extra man in the middle of the park though. So systems are important but not everything.

If we play with two centrally the we accept that we’ll give up a bit more of the ball but there will be benefits when we do have it. He ain’t changing 5 games in, especially when unbeaten.

Alex Trager
03-10-2023, 11:06 AM

Dundee did beat Hearts mind you.

Crunchie
03-10-2023, 11:19 AM

Rocky or Hanlon
Stevenson or Obita
ALF or Doidge

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

ALF
Vente

Please let it be Rocky and Obita

Brightside
03-10-2023, 11:25 AM

There is loads of flexibility in the way we are playing currently. All that will happen via Hearts is we may have to play more compact. Personally I hope we don't as we've been guilty of changing our play year after year and end up playing awful football just like them.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 11:45 AM
There is loads of flexibility in the way we are playing currently. All that will happen via Hearts is we may have to play more compact. Personally I hope we don't as we've been guilty of changing our play year after year and end up playing awful football just like them.

There's flexibility but still within the parameters of a central midfield two. No one can seriously think that Hibs will start the same way v every opponent?

I think he will definitely set up the side differently, Shankland and Boyce will not be as profligate with the chances as Rudden and co were on Saturday. We will need to stop their central midfielders finding as much space as those Dundee guys did, otherwise we will lose the game.

03-10-2023, 12:06 PM
There's flexibility but still within the parameters of a central midfield two. No one can seriously think that Hibs will start the same way v every opponent?

I think he will definitely set up the side differently, Shankland and Boyce will not be as profligate with the chances as Rudden and co were on Saturday. We will need to stop their central midfielders finding as much space as those Dundee guys did, otherwise we will lose the game.

Boyce might not start for them. Benched last 2 games and only brought on for 8 and 6 minutes. Grant started ahead of him and they had 2 away wins so wouldn't be a surprise if he gets the nod again for Saturday.

Brightside
03-10-2023, 12:11 PM

If the wingers come inside and don't play as high we have a basic diamond. We've seen plenty of this recently. We've also seen one of the front 2 going deeper.

B.H.F.C
03-10-2023, 12:13 PM

Only change would be a midfielder in for one of Doidge or Le Fondre. I don’t see it happening. He’s only a couple of weeks in, I don’t think he’s going to shift what he does for Hearts when he has a very clear preferred way of playing.

It might work, it might not. Same could be said of any shape we play. I think he’ll continue to do what he has been on the basis that it will give our own strikers the best opportunity of getting chances.

.Sean.
03-10-2023, 12:30 PM
Please let it be Rocky and Obita
There is no way Rocky starts this if Hanlon is fit. I don’t think my heart would cope watching him roller skating out of position for 90 minutes. He’s nowhere near good enough to be starting for Hibs in a derby at Tynecastle.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 12:38 PM
If the wingers come inside and don't play as high we have a basic diamond. We've seen plenty of this recently. We've also seen one of the front 2 going deeper.

Not noticed this at all. My impression is that whilst they might swap wings, they remain pretty much out wide and pretty far advanced.

I have seen Vente dropping deeper sometimes and occasionally helping out.

I'm not a tactician though, so I'll wait and find out. In the meantime, I'll stick with my view that our two in midfield will always be vulnerable to a side who play a central midfield three, it might work against some (St Johnston and St Mirren) but it will also be found out and exploited by others.

Continuity of style must surely also make it more predictable? Fine if you are massively better than the opposition, not so wonderful if you have more marginal advantages.

S4uzee
03-10-2023, 12:41 PM
There is no way Rocky starts this if Hanlon is fit. I don’t think my heart would cope watching him roller skating out of position for 90 minutes. He’s nowhere near good enough to be starting for Hibs in a derby at Tynecastle.

Still gives me shivers thinking of his performance there under Maloney when we lost 3-1

wookie70
03-10-2023, 12:43 PM
Not noticed this at all. My impression is that whilst they might swap wings, they remain pretty much out wide and pretty far advanced.

I'm not a tactician though, so I'll wait and find out. In the meantime, I'll stick with my view that our two in midfield will always be vulnerable to a side who play a central midfield three, it might work against some (St Johnston and St Mirren) but it will also be found out and exploited by others.

Continuity of style must surely also make it more predictable? Fine if you are massively better than the opposition, not so wonderful if you have more marginal advantages.

Vente is all over the pitch and tracks runners back to our defensive line quite often. I'd stick with the way we are playing but have a plan to change early if it isn't working. Don't leave it in the hope it works either and end up a goal down.

Since452
03-10-2023, 12:58 PM
I'd revert back to the team that was winning games after resting them against Dundee. Rocky for Hanlon and Obita for Stevenson. Doidge for ALF too. Think ALF will be useful off the bench.

O'Rourke3
03-10-2023, 01:17 PM
I'd revert back to the team that was winning games after resting them against Dundee. Rocky for Hanlon and Obita for Stevenson. Doidge for ALF too. Think ALF will be useful off the bench.

On a tight pitch with the press they'll put on our back line we'd be off our heads playing Rocky at LCH. He takes too long to control the ball and invariably comes back right side. I reckon Fish is worse that side or he'd have been tried. The thinking that you don't need a left footed centre back has been disproved IMO

Broken Gnome
03-10-2023, 01:47 PM
Hearts' midfield is the weakest part of their team isn't it? They're not great players, and not that physical - I doubt we'll get overrun.

I'd be tempted to sit in a wee bit, get them into a rut with a slow aimless build-up, then hit them best we can. Don't want to be too defensive with the line-up though, and don't think we need to be.

Also want a team that can win the game near the end - was fairly obvious on Saturday we'd have wanted the team that started the game finishing the game. Would go Doidge over ALF in that case, giving us a match winner for the last stretch.

Definitely Obita over Lewis, and Hanlon over Rocky.

PH91
03-10-2023, 01:58 PM

Every formation match up has pros and cons. If we are a man down in the middle of the pitch then we are a man up elsewhere.

Any team that lets youan and boyle get 1 v 1 often will be in for a tough time so on that basis i hope we stick with what we are doing. I think vente or alf dropping in will be enough to deal with what they have in the middle. Maybe they will be worried about our wide men and change to suit?

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 02:05 PM
Every formation match up has pros and cons. If we are a man down in the middle of the pitch then we are a man up elsewhere.

Any team that lets youan and boyle get 1 v 1 often will be in for a tough time so on that basis i hope we stick with what we are doing. I think vente or alf dropping in will be enough to deal with what they have in the middle. Maybe they will be worried about our wide men and change to suit?

Hopefully Youan stays on the pitch a bit longer. Even if he isn't firing on all cylinders, he's much more of a threat than Tavares.

You are right though, hopefully our front three see enough of the ball to make a difference.

I would also have Hanlon in for Rocky from the start and the same with Obita for Stevenson.

Blaster
03-10-2023, 02:07 PM
Rocky shouldn’t be starting any game never mind this one. Obita in for Stevenson and I’d start Doidge with Vente. ALF impact sub for this one

JammyDoidger
03-10-2023, 02:14 PM
Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Doidge
Vente

Lago
03-10-2023, 02:20 PM
I'll leave it to the manager and coaches to decide :agree:

Donegal Hibby
03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Rocky shouldn’t be starting any game never mind this one. Obita in for Stevenson and I’d start Doidge with Vente. ALF impact sub for this one

I can understand why some folk want Hanlon instead of Rocky with it being a tight pitch and there press though don't get why he shouldn't be starting any game :confused:

Brightside
03-10-2023, 02:31 PM

I agree with most of that...but think he might just stay a bit tighter and play Stevenson. But id be happy with Obita starting.

Blaster
03-10-2023, 02:34 PM
I can understand why some folk want Hanlon instead of Rocky with it being a tight pitch and there press though don't get why he shouldn't be starting any game :confused:

I don’t think he’s good enough for us. He scares the crap out of me when he plays, especially at Left centre half. I don’t think he’s the answer to replacing Hanlon

Brightside
03-10-2023, 02:35 PM

He shouldn't be starting any game at LCB if we have a fit left footed one.

CapitalGreen
03-10-2023, 02:55 PM

Because he’s not very good and we concede on average at least 2 goals per game when he starts.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 03:10 PM
I'll leave it to the manager and coaches to decide :agree:

They will, but this is a football forum, so discussion is allowed :aok:

tamh
03-10-2023, 03:19 PM
:thumbsup::flag:

Donegal Hibby
03-10-2023, 03:29 PM
I don’t think he’s good enough for us. He scares the crap out of me when he plays, especially at Left centre half. I don’t think he’s the answer to replacing Hanlon

I think in the two games he's played ( St Johnstone & St mirren) he's been good tbh . One that we kept a clean sheet in too .

The two goals we lost the first one was a mistake from Fish in reading the cross ( not for the first time this season either) and the 2nd one he was replaced by Hanlon before they scored I think.

He's a touch of Efe Ambrose about him imo in the way he likes to get forward with the ball and probably prone to the odd mistake too though what defender isn't at times .

He's been covering a lot of ground for us in his last few starts which is why I think Monty likes him , very committed , hard working player and don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's made out to be either . Thanks for explaining your opinion though 👍

Hiber-nation
03-10-2023, 03:31 PM
He's a touch of Efe Ambrose about him imo in the way he likes to get forward with the ball and probably prone to the odd mistake too though what defender isn't at times .

Nah he really doesn't.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 03:49 PM
I think in the two games he's played ( St Johnstone & St mirren) he's been good tbh . One that we kept a clean sheet in too .

The two goals we lost the first one was a mistake from Fish in reading the cross ( not for the first time this season either) and the 2nd one he was replaced by Hanlon before they scored I think.

He's been covering a lot of ground for us in his last few starts which is why I think Monty likes him , very committed , hard working player and don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's made out to be either . Thanks for explaining your opinion though 👍

Aside from the obvious, not really seeing any comparison to Ambrose. Rocky looks cumbersome on the ball and I'm still not convinced by his positional play. Some of that may be down to the lack of cover offered to our full backs by the way Boyle and Youan play, Rocky gets dragged out wide to support Miller and Obita/Stevenson.

easty
03-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Hanlon was far more assured on Saturday than Rockys looked the last few games.

Nae debate to be had in my opinion, Hanlon is the better player.

Any comparison of Rocky to Ambrose is ridiculous as well.

MKHIBEE
03-10-2023, 04:08 PM
Previous managers adapted and changed our style at Tynecastle and it rarely worked. Play our game, be aggressive, change for nobody, **** the Hearts.
Amen to that.

PH91
03-10-2023, 04:29 PM
Hopefully Youan stays on the pitch a bit longer. Even if he isn't firing on all cylinders, he's much more of a threat than Tavares.

You are right though, hopefully our front three see enough of the ball to make a difference.

I would also have Hanlon in for Rocky from the start and the same with Obita for Stevenson.

I'm not as big a fan of Youan as most but he is definitely very dangerous and capable of producing a big moment, which could make the difference in a tight derby. Hopefully he is on it.

Hanlon one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. And agree Obita should be given a run to see what he can do.

Donegal Hibby
03-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Nah he really doesn't.

Ambrose used to drive forward with the ball into the opposition half and Rocky does this too . Not saying there similar players but it's one of the attributes both players did and do at Hibs . Porto also use to do this which is why we played him in midfield.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 04:42 PM
I'm not as big a fan of Youan as most but he is definitely very dangerous and capable of producing a big moment, which could make the difference in a tight derby. Hopefully he is on it.

Hanlon one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. And agree Obita should be given a run to see what he can do.

Youan tries to do one of the hardest things in the game and that is beat a man. It definitely doesn't always work, but as long as it done with some football savvy, ie not 10 yards from his own box, I'll back him.

Hanlon is much more comfortable on the ball than Rocky, his passing is also more varied and we will need that on Saturday.

I like Obita. he needs to get 90 minutes under his belt and to establish himself as first pick. I'm assuming that he's still working his way back to full match fitness after his injuries pre-season. Hopefully, he starts and gets up and down that flank effectively.

ancient hibee
03-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Hanlon was far more assured on Saturday than Rockys looked the last few games.

Nae debate to be had in my opinion, Hanlon is the better player.

Any comparison of Rocky to Ambrose is ridiculous as well.

Thought Hanlon had one of his best games for some time on Saturday. He also lead from the front and sorted out the outbreak of handbags when Obita was fouled.

Donegal Hibby
03-10-2023, 04:55 PM
Aside from the obvious, not really seeing any comparison to Ambrose. Rocky looks cumbersome on the ball and I'm still not convinced by his positional play. Some of that may be down to the lack of cover offered to our full backs by the way Boyle and Youan play, Rocky gets dragged out wide to support Miller and Obita/Stevenson.

A lot of the time I've felt Rocky's been covering left back position and getting forward as well as playing in his normal position. Imo he's really been putting a shift in for the team .

At 33 it's a lot to ask Paul Hanlon to do the same shift though I do agree with what's been said that Hanlon might be a safer option for the derby .

What I disagree with is that Rocky shouldn't be picked at all for games . In both the St Johnstone and St mirren games he's done well .

AlbertK86
03-10-2023, 07:25 PM
Have a feeling we might go

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Youan
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Boyle
Vente

Doidge and ALF to come off bench later

Personally I’d rather start with Obita at left back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicho87
03-10-2023, 07:30 PM
Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

Le Fondre
Vente

B.H.F.C
03-10-2023, 07:32 PM
Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

Le Fondre
Vente

Would be my team. Have a feeling that he may go with Doidge instead of ALF though.

erin go bragh
03-10-2023, 07:50 PM
Would be my team. Have a feeling that he may go with Doidge instead of ALF though.
Id have no problem with either of Doidge or ALF but feel Obita has to start over Lewis, as thought he had a bit of a mare against Dundee.

ancient hibee
03-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Id have no problem with either of Doidge or ALF but feel Obita has to start over Lewis, as thought he had a bit of a mare against Dundee.

Yes.He seemed to lack the confidence to try and get round the outside and constantly turned the ball back.

superfurryhibby
03-10-2023, 08:01 PM
A lot of the time I've felt Rocky's been covering left back position and getting forward as well as playing in his normal position. Imo he's really been putting a shift in for the team .

At 33 it's a lot to ask Paul Hanlon to do the same shift though I do agree with what's been said that Hanlon might be a safer option for the derby .

What I disagree with is that Rocky shouldn't be picked at all for games . In both the St Johnstone and St mirren games he's done well .

Yes, Rocky's had his moments, sometimes very good and occasionally a bit wtf, but overall I think he's done well enough. He's as reliable as Fish and no more deserving of any criticism from fans. That said, he still does induce a bit of anxiety in me too.

The tempo will be much, much quicker on Saturday, maybe Hanlon is better equipped to move the ball on and maybe he gets the best out of Fish. Big decision's for Montgomery to make.

That and left back, oh and who starts up front. For me Obita starts, so do Doidge and Vente.

Franck Stanton
03-10-2023, 08:39 PM

Good point. As it is a 7-a-side pitch, maybe both teams could only field 7 players.

Libby Hibby
03-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Marsh

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Obita

Doidge
Vente

HFC93
03-10-2023, 10:55 PM
Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

Le Fondre
Vente

This is probably our best team at the moment.

Crunchie
04-10-2023, 07:14 AM
Because he’s not very good and we concede on average at least 2 goals per game when he starts.
That's just rubbish, the big man has his moments but Hanlon has had more than his fair share in his time with us.
Rocky wasn't on the pitch when St Mirren scored their 2nd, I seem to remember Hanlon being there for all 3 they scored at ER in the first league game.

BILLYHIBS
04-10-2023, 07:29 AM
That's just rubbish, the big man has his moments but Hanlon has had more than his fair share in his time with us.
Rocky wasn't on the pitch when St Mirren scored their 2nd, I seem to remember Hanlon being there for all 3 they scored at ER in the first league game.

Agree Olusanya ran away from Hanlon in the first game but could not get near Rocky all night in the cup A big gap appeared in our rear line after Rocky was hooked to allow them to score their second

Anyway happy with Rocky or Hanlon on Saturday or both but would defo keep Alf on the bench as an impact sub if we need a goal

GGTTH

Edit :

Rocky just been called up for DR Congo

Springbank
04-10-2023, 07:37 AM
It was obvious to see, last weekend, that Dundee had identified Lewis Stevenson as our weak link.

Any time their defenders were in trouble, especially first half, they had a game plan, of a long high ball into Hibs left back area, Lewis lets it bounce every time, and then (facing his own goal) sclaffs an attempted clearance either out for a Dundee throw (deep in Hibs territory) or, worse, sclaffed his clearance into the area round half way - and Dundee's midfielders were all primed to sprint to that area (when the ball was cleared by their CH) so they always picked up possession in our half - either from winning the throw or picking up Lewie's duff clearances.

It happened too many times to be coincidence.

Frustrating, as Lewis has had so many years to understand how to deal with that (obvious) tactic, a million times before.

It will be what Hearts do on Saturday, so I will be hoping the management are working on how to deal with that better. After all, the opposition are essentially gifting us the ball back, in our left back area, and it's about how we then use it (ie don't gift them it back, Lewis!)

BILLYHIBS
04-10-2023, 07:47 AM
It was obvious to see, last weekend, that Dundee had identified Lewis Stevenson as our weak link.

Any time their defenders were in trouble, especially first half, they had a game plan, of a long high ball into Hibs left back area, Lewis lets it bounce every time, and then (facing his own goal) sclaffs an attempted clearance either out for a Dundee throw (deep in Hibs territory) or, worse, sclaffed his clearance into the area round half way - and Dundee's midfielders were all primed to sprint to that area (when the ball was cleared by their CH) so they always picked up possession in our half - either from winning the throw or picking up Lewie's duff clearances.

Frustrating, as Lewis has had so many years to understand how to deal with that (obvious) tactic, a million times before.

It will be what Hearts do on Saturday, so I will be hoping the management are working on how to deal with that better. After all, the opposition are essentially gifting us the ball back, in our left back area, and it's about how we then use it (ie don't gift them it back, Lewis!)

Just play Obita

Hearts will play their usual anti spoiling football hoping to catch us on the break so we won’t have to defend much they are terrified of Boyle Vente and Youan

I like Lewis but Saturday he was always looking to check inside onto his right I always thought he was left footed ?

Just let the ball do the work and swing it over with your left

Brightside
04-10-2023, 08:14 AM

Hanlon is a much better LCB than Rocky its just daft to suggest otherwise. Rocky should be concentrating on trying to get Fish's position. and Hibs should be concentrating on getting another left footed Centre Back in the squad for when Fish leaves, Rocky moves to RCB and Hanlon is another year older.

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 08:30 AM

If you’re just picking out individual games you could have picked out that in Hanlon’s last two starts we’ve kept clean sheets?

I’d quite like us to find a replacement for Hanlon but as it stands just now he should be playing in front of Rocky and I think he will on Saturday.

Seafield Scott
04-10-2023, 08:58 AM
Would go with the same starting 11 from the weekend. They are on a roll and we need to maintain the momentum with the same team/squad. Would advocate attacking Hertz RB as he's really a CH and where they're weakest watching Sportscene. Can see us sitting back a wee bit to soak up some pressure and then utilise the long ball targetting the Ozzie CB who's crap under high balls. Hit them on the break - 0-2 Hibs. Feeling confident for Saturday

Since452
04-10-2023, 09:10 AM
Ambrose used to drive forward with the ball into the opposition half and Rocky does this too . Not saying there similar players but it's one of the attributes both players did and do at Hibs . Porto also use to do this which is why we played him in midfield.

Yeah I've noticed Rocky do the same and it's reminded me of Ambrose too. Not saying he's as good obviously.

worcesterhibby
04-10-2023, 09:30 AM
If you’re just picking out individual games you could have picked out that in Hanlon’s last two starts we’ve kept clean sheets?

I’d quite like us to find a replacement for Hanlon but as it stands just now he should be playing in front of Rocky and I think he will on Saturday.

Is Harbottle not left footed ?

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Nope, but has played left centre half. Personally, I don’t think it’s essential that anyone playing that position is left footed anyway.

Brightside
04-10-2023, 09:37 AM

no. right footed but he has played LCB a fair few times for Mansfield(?). But also a lot of those games was a back 3.

Brightside
04-10-2023, 09:38 AM
Nope, but has played left centre half. Personally, I don’t think it’s essential that anyone playing that position is left footed anyway.

Rocky struggles with anything on his left side. A left footed LCB is huge plus in that position. Its why they go for huge money now at the higher level.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 09:39 AM

I've came to realise certain players on here get more criticism than others do even if they've made a mistake or played poorly too .

First goal we lost against St mirren was down to Youan not picking up his man , Obita getting beat and a cross put in that Fish totally misreads which allows the header that sets up the st mirren player to score .

The 2nd goal was indeed after Rocky was substituted for Hanlon and let's be honest you could have driven a bus through Hanlon and Fish the gap was that big !

If Rocky had misread the header like Fish or been on when the 2nd had been scored through bad defending on our part he'd be getting pelters though there's hasn't been the same criticism given to the other players for some reason.
https://youtu.be/VSGIojMdQ1E?si=Vyd2DZtUBvaCHJtC

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 09:49 AM
Rocky struggles with anything on his left side. A left footed LCB is huge plus in that position. Its why they go for huge money now at the higher level.

Rocky just struggles full stop for me. We’re not asking them to do anything special on the ball, we need capable defenders first and foremost. Being left footed would be a bonus but that’s all it is IMO. If you look at the top level there are plenty teams who don’t play with a left footed centre half.

Brightside
04-10-2023, 09:57 AM
Rocky just struggles full stop for me. We’re not asking them to do anything special on the ball, we need capable defenders first and foremost. Being left footed would be a bonus but that’s all it is IMO. If you look at the top level there are plenty teams who don’t play with a left footed centre half.

We are playing out from the back more than ever (as are most teams) that needs a player who is comfortable on his left. Rocky and other right footers always take the ball on the right foot and the body shape is all wrong. I'm a bit geeky when it comes to LCBs and bar John Terry (who is actually left handed!) there are very few comfortable right footed ones out there. Especially in Scottish football. We have very few players in Scotland who are actually decent with both feet. Hanlon would also be awful as a RCB for perspective. :aok:

hibbie02
04-10-2023, 10:00 AM
It's Hertz, it's the Pink Bus Shelter, it has to be Hanlon. We need his experience and I hope to see him bullet a header in the top corner to win the game. I think we need to start with Obita rather than Lewie, but I can see him coming on for Youan if we are winning and we need him and Obita on that wing.

We are talking about how we handle Them, but I would suggest they have more of an issue about how they handle Youan, Vente, Doige/ALF and Squirrel. We only need a midfield 2 on that pitch, so if the wingers stay wide and one of the strikers drops back sometimes, we can pull then around.

Knowing them they will be determined to exploit out issues with crosses, and that will be their only strategy. If we can snuff them out wide, I doubt they will have a plan B. That would require thought!

Since452
04-10-2023, 10:09 AM

Stevenson is no more than a squad filler now and should only be used as back up. If we're looking to win the game then Obita has to start over him. Stevenson has no attacking threat whatsoever. The number of times he could have crossed against Dundee and ended up playing a safe square pass or going back the way was so frustrating and defensively agree with everything you've said above.

Unseen work
04-10-2023, 10:31 AM
I’m quite indecisive about Rocky.

For the majority of games at the moment I find myself thinking “well played” or that he dealt with something really well. He’s so powerful that he deals with threats easily with his pace and strength. 1 v 1’s I think he’s really good and then on the ball he’s improved a lot and is really good at stepping into play.

But, there’s times I think “what on earth are you thinking”. He’s lately started having niggles at players off the ball, resulting in them hitting the deck. Do that at against hearts and I fear they’ll get him sent off. The other thing is I think once or twice a game he’ll get caught wrong side of the striker, who often gets a ball played through to him between Rocky and Fish.

Even when he’s playing well I still think the teams that little bit more shakey, probably due to him being unpredictable.

Hanlon though is more safe overall, is more likely to get out paced or shrugged off the ball. Some of his best games have came against hearts imo, he’s also made some big mistakes.

Interesting to see what nick does

IanM
04-10-2023, 10:33 AM
ALF and Vente must start for me - the two most gifted and natural goalscorers we’ve had at the club for a while . Feed them chances

easty
04-10-2023, 10:43 AM
I've came to realise certain players on here get more criticism than others do even if they've made a mistake or played poorly too .

First goal we lost against St mirren was down to Youan not picking up his man , Obita getting beat and a cross put in that Fish totally misreads which allows the header that sets up the st mirren player to score .

The 2nd goal was indeed after Rocky was substituted for Hanlon and let's be honest you could have driven a bus through Hanlon and Fish the gap was that big !

If Rocky had misread the header like Fish or been on when the 2nd had been scored through bad defending on our part he'd be getting pelters though there's hasn't been the same criticism given to the other players for some reason.
https://youtu.be/VSGIojMdQ1E?si=Vyd2DZtUBvaCHJtC

Fish has rightly been getting pelters loads this season. If you're not seeing that, then you're not looking.

Brightside
04-10-2023, 10:47 AM
Fish has rightly been getting pelters loads this season. If you're not seeing that, then you're not looking.

Yeh probably criticised more than any defender and rightly so. Lets not mix up criticism with pointing out that playing a player out of position is not a wise thing to do and wont produce his optimum performance.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 10:52 AM

And even with that criticism he’s still a much better defender than Rocky. Fish has been a part of 3 clean sheets in his previous 5 games, the same number of clean sheets as Rocky has been a part of in over 14 months.

Keith_M
04-10-2023, 11:45 AM
I'd actually like to see Doidge start.

I think this is the ideal type of game for the effort the guy puts in, both up front and defensively

NC1875
04-10-2023, 11:48 AM
ALF and Vente must start for me - the two most gifted and natural goalscorers we’ve had at the club for a while . Feed them chances

100%. Alfs movement will cause them problems and ventes the best finisher. They 2 must start.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 11:53 AM

There's different levels of getting pelters on here for certain players like Rocky , Campbell etc . Fish has got nowhere near the same criticism as Rocky got after the Kilmarnock game and that is pretty obvious to see btw .

Winston Ingram
04-10-2023, 11:55 AM
We'll end up going in 442 which genuinely worries me as derbies are won in midfield and we're going in one short in the middle. Up front, we lack physicality without Doidge which is a must there so he has to start.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 12:18 PM
There's different levels of getting pelters on here for certain players like Rocky , Campbell etc . Fish has got nowhere near the same criticism as Rocky got after the Kilmarnock game and that is pretty obvious to see btw .

Fish gets less criticism because he’s a significantly better player, it’s not rocket science. Fish’s error against St Mirren cost us a goal in a game we won, Rocky’s errors against Kilmarnock cost us a win and 3 points which results in greater criticism.

I don’t want Rocky playing against Hearts because our away record against them and Aberdeen when Rocky plays is abysmal.

Rocky Playing - 4 defeats, 13 goals conceded
Hearts 1-3
Hearts 0-3
Aberdeen 1-3
Aberdeen 1-4

Rocky not playing - 1 defeat, 3 goals conceded
Hearts 1-1
Hearts 1-2
Aberdeen 0-0
Aberdeen 2-0

SickBoy32
04-10-2023, 12:19 PM

I think this is the ideal type of game for the effort the guy puts in, both up front and defensively

Agree with this -Doidge would useful to nullify at least one of their centre halves offensively, great for defending set pieces too - we can let ALF run riot with his clever movement / link up when they're tiring

SickBoy32
04-10-2023, 12:21 PM
Fish gets less criticism because he’s a significantly better player, it’s not rocket science. Fish’s error against St Mirren cost us a goal in a game we won, Rocky’s errors against Kilmarnock cost us a win and 3 points which results in greater criticism.

I don’t want Rocky playing against Hearts because our away record against them and Aberdeen when Rocky plays is abysmal.

Rocky Playing - 4 defeats, 13 goals conceded
Hearts 1-3
Hearts 0-3
Aberdeen 1-3
Aberdeen 1-4

Rocky not playing - 1 defeat, 3 goals conceded
Hearts 1-1
Hearts 1-2
Aberdeen 0-0
Aberdeen 2-0

Yep, Bushiri absolutely needs to remain on the bench and we'll have a good chance of a result on Saturday. He just brings chaos to the defence whenever he plays IMO, we need better

easty
04-10-2023, 12:30 PM

Fish got absolutely as much abuse after last season at Tynecastle.

The level of "pelters" relates to the *****-ness of performance

Rocky got it tight against Killie cos he was crap.

Campbell hasn't had pelters for ages.

easty
04-10-2023, 12:44 PM

I like what Doidge can offer us, but I think when it's a choice of Doidge or Vente, I'm having Vente. Then Doidge or Le Fondre, I'm having Le Fondre. ALF offers us much more in terms of intelligence and making things/space happen up top.

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 12:52 PM
I like what Doidge can offer us, but I think when it's a choice of Doidge or Vente, I'm having Vente. Then Doidge or Le Fondre, I'm having Le Fondre. ALF offers us much more in terms of intelligence and making things/space happen up top.

Agree with this.

Hearts will have a go at us and I think we’ll be at our most dangerous when we break and the additional quality of ALF will help link things.

The only thing would be an argument for Doidge is what he could offer at set pieces. Even though we didn’t score last week I thought our delivery was actually really good for most of them. Hearts will pile in on top of us at any opportunity, as they always do, so could be handy in our own box.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Agree with this.

Hearts will have a go at us and I think we’ll be at our most dangerous when we break and the additional quality of ALF will help link things.

The only thing would be an argument for Doidge is what he could offer at set pieces. Even though we didn’t score last week I thought our delivery was actually really good for most of them. Hearts will pile in on top of us at any opportunity, as they always do, so could be handy in our own box.

Hearts have only conceded 3 league goals this season so we’ll need quality to break them down - Vente and ALF should be starting up front together.

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 01:04 PM
Hearts have only conceded 3 league goals this season so we’ll need quality to break them down - Vente and ALF should be starting up front together.

Didn’t actually realise how few goals there had been in their games, scored 5 and conceded 3 in the league.

Their crowd will demand they have a go at us, I think that is good for us. They’ve clearly been doing something right defensively but wondering if it’s also been as a result of them being a bit on the negative side (similar to us I see Maloney). As I say, their crowd won’t let them be negative on Saturday.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 01:37 PM
Fish got absolutely as much abuse after last season at Tynecastle.

The level of "pelters" relates to the *****-ness of performance

Rocky got it tight against Killie cos he was crap.

Campbell hasn't had pelters for ages.

The form of Fish THIS season has been patchy as he's admitted himself and the goal we lost against St mirren was partly down to him misreading a cross which btw isn't the first one he's misread this season either . If it had been Rocky he'd have got it far worse on here .

The level of " pelters" isn't always down to just the *****-ness of performance and can be down to different things including fans not liking certain players and I think you know this too.

Rocky was the only one that really got it tight because he made a mistake or two ( personally I think he only made one ) though he wasn't the only player who did though they seem to get some sort of " pass " for there mistakes.

Rocky's only 23 and we are not that long after appointing a new manager that's clearly changed our style of play and asked him to play in a position he's not use too . By and large he's done well playing there ( St Johnstone & St mirren) and put a really good shift in for the team though he doesn't seem to get any recognition for it though . The minute he makes a mistake though folk are ready to bounce on him for it which I think is sad tbh .

Wither it's ages or not Campbell is still another player that has come in for criticism in the past , some of it justified and some unfair imo . I actually went on the Campbell thread an praised him after the st mirren game seeing as he had a hand in two of the goals we scored and made a difference.

The criticism about Rocky in he should never be picked for Hibs or Campbell's no good and should be moved on is away OTT. Two decent players who folk want to jump on regularly for some reason or another.

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 02:13 PM
The form of Fish THIS season has been patchy as he's admitted himself and the goal we lost against St mirren was partly down to him misreading a cross which btw isn't the first one he's misread this season either . If it had been Rocky he'd have got it far worse on here .

The level of " pelters" isn't always down to just the *****-ness of performance and can be down to different things including fans not liking certain players and I think you know this too.

Rocky was the only one that really got it tight because he made a mistake or two ( personally I think he only made one ) though he wasn't the only player who did though they seem to get some sort of " pass " for there mistakes.

Rocky's only 23 and we are not that long after appointing a new manager that's clearly changed our style of play and asked him to play in a position he's not use too . By and large he's done well playing there ( St Johnstone & St mirren) and put a really good shift in for the team though he doesn't seem to get any recognition for it though . The minute he makes a mistake though folk are ready to bounce on him for it which I think is sad tbh .

Wither it's ages or not Campbell is still another player that has come in for criticism in the past , some of it justified and some unfair imo . I actually went on the Campbell thread an praised him after the st mirren game seeing as he had a hand in two of the goals we scored and made a difference.

The criticism about Rocky in he should never be picked for Hibs or Campbell's no good and should be moved on is away OTT. Two decent players who folk want to jump on regularly for some reason or another.

Your very last point, and without getting in to any big debate on it, as the thread is about the team to face Hearts. It’s simply that many people don’t think they are decent players for Hibs. That, in turn, drives more negative opinion on their performances. I’m the case of Fish, I think most people would have him as a first pick at centre half and feel he’s shown more in his appearances for Hibs so he naturally gets more leeway. But he’s had his share of criticism as well.

Anyway, on the team for Saturday hopefully it contains Fish (which it will) and not the other two.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Your very last point, and without getting in to any big debate on it, as the thread is about the team to face Hearts. It’s simply that many people don’t think they are decent players for Hibs. That, in turn, drives more negative opinion on their performances. I’m the case of Fish, I think most people would have him as a first pick at centre half and feel he’s shown more in his appearances for Hibs so he naturally gets more leeway. But he’s had his share of criticism as well.

Anyway, on the team for Saturday hopefully it contains Fish (which it will) and not the other two.

Fair enough mate your probably right anyhow in people have decided in there own mind they aren't good enough and will critise them at every opportunity while players they like , like Fish will get more leeway for a mistake than the likes of Rocky would which was the point I was making anyhow . Personally don't think Rocky's a bad player and has been good the last two games without costing us any goals either .

As to the team for the hertz game it basically picks itself apart from 3 position . I'd go for Stevenson over Obita , Hanlon over Rocky and Doidge up front with Vente though won't be disappointed if Monty picks 0bita , Rocky or Alf who are all good options as well 👍

easty
04-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Fair enough mate your probably right anyhow in people have decided in there own mind they aren't good enough and will critise them at every opportunity while players they like , like Fish will get more leeway for a mistake than the likes of Rocky would which was the point I was making anyhow . Personally don't think Rocky's a bad player and has been good the last two games without costing us any goals either .

As to the team for the hertz game it basically picks itself apart from 3 position . I'd go for Stevenson over Obita , Hanlon over Rocky and Doidge up front with Vente though won't be disappointed if Monty picks 0bita , Rocky or Alf who are all good options as well 👍

I dunno why you’re persisting with this “Fish gets away with it” line. He doesn’t. He was pilloried after Tynecastle last season, and has had loads of posts saying he’s been ***** this season.

Winston Ingram
04-10-2023, 06:23 PM

That’d be suicidal imo. Physicality in derbies is a must and those 2 aren’t particularly great at holding the ball up against a strong defender. We’ll be playing 442 and already asking for trouble in the middle of park. It’ll likely be just like the Killie game post Doidge injury.

Since452
04-10-2023, 06:49 PM
That’d be suicidal imo. Physicality in derbies is a must and those 2 aren’t particularly great at holding the ball up against a strong defender. We’ll be playing 442 and already asking for trouble in the middle of park. It’ll likely be just like the Killie game post Doidge injury.

Doidge did really well against Hearts for Killie last season. Not sure how many personnel changes they've had at Hearts but won't be major. The big man will bust a gut. Doidge and Vente for me. ALF to come on later if we need him.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 06:54 PM

There’s more to hold up play than just being a “big man”, you need a good first touch and be good at ball retention. Both Vente and ALF are better at retaining the ball than Doidge.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 06:56 PM
Doidge did really well against Hearts for Killie last season. Not sure how many personnel changes they've had at Hearts but won't be major. The big man will bust a gut. Doidge and Vente for me. ALF to come on later if we need him.

Did Derek McInnes’s Kilmarnock play in the same way as Nick Montgomery’s Hibs will play on Saturday?

B.H.F.C
04-10-2023, 06:59 PM
There’s more to hold up play than just being a “big man”, you need a good first touch and be good at ball retention. Both Vente and ALF are better at retaining the ball than Doidge.

Agree with this. ALF isn’t 6ft plus but he knows how to make it awkward for defenders, he’s excellent at just giving them a wee nudge, getting his body in and winning fouls.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 07:01 PM
I dunno why you’re persisting with this “Fish gets away with it” line. He doesn’t. He was pilloried after Tynecastle last season, and has had loads of posts saying he’s been ***** this season.

I'm not persisting with " Fish gets away with it " line because I have any personal vendetta against Fish though there does seem to be a case that one player gets more leeway for a mistake than another in our team . Another poster has said as much too .

In the Killie game Rocky was singled out for heavy criticism of not one goal but both which was absolutely ludicrous btw . The goals we lost against St mirren were equally as bad but there wasn't nearly the same fuss about it as there was in the killie game aimed towards Rocky. You yourself called him " crap " btw .

You keep on about about last season at tynecastle which was a high profile derby game compared to a Killie or st mirren game so naturally enough there'd be criticism after it .

Since452
04-10-2023, 07:02 PM
Did Derek McInnes’s Kilmarnock play in the same way as Nick Montgomery’s Hibs will play on Saturday?

Hopefully as well win.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 07:11 PM
I'm not persisting with " Fish gets away with it " line because I have any personal vendetta against Fish though there does seem to be a case that one player gets more leeway for a mistake than another in our team . Another poster has said as much too .

In the Killie game Rocky was singled out for heavy criticism of not one goal but both which was absolutely ludicrous btw . The goals we lost against St mirren were equally as bad but there wasn't nearly the same fuss about it as there was in the killie game aimed towards Rocky. You yourself called him " crap " btw .

You keep on about about last season at tynecastle which was a high profile derby game compared to a Killie or st mirren game so naturally enough there'd be criticism after it .

Better players get less criticism - it’s hardly rocket science. It’s also not unique to Hibs supporters and happens at every football club across the land.

Rocky got more criticism for goals he cost us against Killie because it resulted in us losing a 2 goal lead and dropping 2 points. Rocky made a mistake for Killies first goal and then compounded it by making another. Fish got absolutely slaughtered on here for his mistake that cost us the game away to Motherwell. It’s absolute nonsense to suggest only certain players get criticism, you just see more criticism for Rocky because he makes mistakes more regularly - hence why Fish is a guaranteed starter and Rocky is now a bench player.

CapitalGreen
04-10-2023, 07:12 PM
Hopefully as well win.

McInnes and Doidge lost 3-1 at Tynecastle last season!?

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2023, 09:59 PM
Better players get less criticism - it’s hardly rocket science. It’s also not unique to Hibs supporters and happens at every football club across the land.

Rocky got more criticism for goals he cost us against Killie because it resulted in us losing a 2 goal lead and dropping 2 points. Rocky made a mistake for Killies first goal and then compounded it by making another. Fish got absolutely slaughtered on here for his mistake that cost us the game away to Motherwell. It’s absolute nonsense to suggest only certain players get criticism, you just see more criticism for Rocky because he makes mistakes more regularly - hence why Fish is a guaranteed starter and Rocky is now a bench player.

Rocky failed to get back into position quick enough which was a mistake though that was because he had to go cover the Killie player attacking down the left side because the fullback was out of position . There was also other players in the box that switched off as well .

The other goal Rocky was nudged in the back , he did go down to easily but normally they are given as a foul , god knows I've seen enough of them given to the old firm over the years. The resulting corner was poorly defended which wasn't Rockys fault even though he's been blamed for that too.

As to the two goals against killie our Midfield also couldn't hold on to the ball for any length of time and gave it away cheaply time and time again when we were 2-0 which also put pressure on the defense .

The St mirren goals show that its not just Rocky that's made mistakes , the first one there was a couple of players who made mistakes , Fish clearly misreads the cross which has happened before and the second one our defence is none existent.

Over the last two games Rocky has played in he hasn't made as many mistakes as others have though he's still getting criticism all the same . Certain players seem to get overly critised like Rocky at times imo . Anyhow this is all getting rather boring now so I'll leave you all carry on in your condemnation of a player that I think isn't as bad as some of you want to make out he is !��

Trinity Hibee
05-10-2023, 07:06 AM
Hibs are chasing just their 32nd league win at Tynecastle this week. Hearts won their 32nd league win at ER in September 1968. We’ve got some catching up to do.

Frightening stat

Brightside
05-10-2023, 08:25 AM
Rocky failed to get back into position quick enough which was a mistake though that was because he had to go cover the Killie player attacking down the left side because the fullback was out of position . There was also other players in the box that switched off as well .

The other goal Rocky was nudged in the back , he did go down to easily but normally they are given as a foul , god knows I've seen enough of them given to the old firm over the years. The resulting corner was poorly defended which wasn't Rockys fault even though he's been blamed for that too.

As to the two goals against killie our Midfield also couldn't hold on to the ball for any length of time and gave it away cheaply time and time again when we were 2-0 which also put pressure on the defense .

The St mirren goals show that its not just Rocky that's made mistakes , the first one there was a couple of players who made mistakes , Fish clearly misreads the cross which has happened before and the second one our defence is none existent.

Over the last two games Rocky has played in he hasn't made as many mistakes as others have though he's still getting criticism all the same . Certain players seem to get overly critised like Rocky at times imo . Anyhow this is all getting rather boring now so I'll leave you all carry on in your condemnation of a player that I think isn't as bad as some of you want to make out he is !��

The second goal would never have happened if he just cleared the ball. Can you just accept that and move on.

S4uzee
05-10-2023, 08:44 AM
Hibs are chasing just their 32nd league win at Tynecastle this week. Hearts won their 32nd league win at ER in September 1968. We’ve got some catching up to do.

Frightening stat

That’s incredibly poor

Winston Ingram
05-10-2023, 09:24 AM

If you'd read my post I never mentioned a big man. He's better at holding the ball up against a big strong defender. Those 2 are better at retaining possession after it is under control. It's a different ball game altogether getting it under control when you have a significant physical defender trying to rip your shirt off.

Winston Ingram
05-10-2023, 09:25 AM

Doidge scored against Hearts for Killie last season.

Since452
05-10-2023, 09:26 AM

Beat them 2-1 with 10 men end of last season. Doidge scored the winner.

erin go bragh
05-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Frightening stat
Hearts record league defeat at the PBS is 7-0 and they have won fewer New year day derby's than us.
34 to their 32.That stat will never change as winning the Millennium derby 3-0 at the PBS( none of us will be at the next Millennium derby�� And they are mostly wallopers who think they are middle class but in reality are just self righteous smarmy fannies.

Since452
05-10-2023, 10:01 AM

Frightening stat

They can stick that stat in their trophy cabinet along with all the league cups they've won since 1962

Hibs3-2
05-10-2023, 11:37 AM
Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Newell
Jeggo

Boyle
Vente
ALF/Doidge
Youan

I have a feeling that the ALF/Doidge place could see rocky/campbell/levitt play

Donegal Hibby
05-10-2023, 12:31 PM
The second goal would never have happened if he just cleared the ball. Can you just accept that and move on.

The second goal would never have happened if we had got a freekick either, they could also have scored from a long throw into our box as the defending at the near post was poor too . Who knows!.

Blaming a player for losing a goal after he's conceded a corner is mental imo , Collectively as a group we didn't defend it probably.

I haven't looked back to see who was at fault and have no intention of singling out anyone player and making him a scapegoat for it either , for me our defending was poor on it as a team which resulted in us losing the goal , not conceding the corner.

All getting boring now again as folk want to point the finger of blame on one player instead of looking at the bigger picture so I'll leave it at that .👍

easty
05-10-2023, 12:47 PM
The second goal would never have happened if we had got a freekick either, they could also have scored from a long throw into our box as the defending at the near post was poor too . Who knows!.

Blaming a player for losing a goal after he's conceded a corner is mental imo , Collectively as a group we didn't defend it probably.

I haven't looked back to see who was at fault and have no intention of singling out anyone player and making him a scapegoat for it either , for me our defending was poor on it as a team which resulted in us losing the goal , not conceding the corner.

All getting boring now again as folk want to point the finger of blame on one player instead of looking at the bigger picture so I'll leave it at that .👍

It wasn’t a foul!!!

I dunno how you can say you wouldn’t single anyone out though, when you’ve repeatedly tried to defend Rocky by pointing out Fish’s faults.

flash
05-10-2023, 01:16 PM

Frightening stat

Strange thing to mention on a team V Hearts thread on a Hibs forum.

nickwhibs
05-10-2023, 01:30 PM

Frightening stat

Only thing that matters is the outcome on Saturday

Fergus52
05-10-2023, 03:49 PM
Doidge has to start for me, Rowles hates playing against a physical centre forward, if we can get Doidge bullying him then we'll get some joy.

truehibernian
05-10-2023, 04:44 PM
Doidge has to start for me, Rowles hates playing against a physical centre forward, if we can get Doidge bullying him then we'll get some joy.

Doidge and Vente for me - as you say, Doidge is playing well and will relish playing against a flat footed and off form Rowles. More importantly the goals I’ve seen Hearts concede, Kent’s positioning is awful when balls get fired low into the box. Vente is very very clever at creating space and also defending from the top too.

Hearts injuries also make them a very small team at set pieces. I’d be making sure Jeggo’s stud marks are all over Devlin’s shin pads within the opening 10 minutes too 😊👍 he’ll lose the plot (in between rolling about looking for imaginary fouls). Lowry is a smashing player, I rate him highly, but they’re playing him on the left and he’s slow at tracking back, but I reckon Naismith will start him. He’s a threat no doubt about it. Lewis and Boyle need to defend in a pair out of possession that flank.

JammyDoidger
05-10-2023, 05:24 PM
The only way we lose this is errors at the back. We are better going forward, a hearts team containing Boyle, Vente, Youan, Doidge, Le Fondre would have me ****ting my pants, I think even with our 2 in midfield against their 3 we can win that battle. We will create enough chances, take them and no daft errors at the back we come away with 3 points. They can't bully us these days, we are also a threat at set pieces, get the job done Hibs.

easty
05-10-2023, 05:37 PM
The only way we lose this is errors at the back. We are better going forward, a hearts team containing Boyle, Vente, Youan, Doidge, Le Fondre would have me ****ting my pants, I think even with our 2 in midfield against their 3 we can win that battle. We will create enough chances, take them and no daft errors at the back we come away with 3 points. They can't bully us these days, we are also a threat at set pieces, get the job done Hibs.

I really like Christian Doidge but if he was lining up against us I’d never be particularly worried.

superfurryhibby
05-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Doidge and Vente for me - as you say, Doidge is playing well and will relish playing against a flat footed and off form Rowles. More importantly the goals I’ve seen Hearts concede, Kent’s positioning is awful when balls get fired low into the box. Vente is very very clever at creating space and also defending from the top too.

Hearts injuries also make them a very small team at set pieces. I’d be making sure Jeggo’s stud marks are all over Devlin’s shin pads within the opening 10 minutes too 😊👍 he’ll lose the plot (in between rolling about looking for imaginary fouls). Lowry is a smashing player, I rate him highly, but they’re playing him on the left and he’s slow at tracking back, but I reckon Naismith will start him. He’s a threat no doubt about it. Lewis and Boyle need to defend in a pair out of possession that flank.

I'd back Lewis Miller to subdue Lowry and exploit that lack of tracking back down their left flank. I've not seen Lowry play, but I had presumed he's not a regular starter for them. Funny, I'd probably struggle to name half the Hearts team, but I'd have a good stab at their losing side from 1.1.73

WeeRussell
05-10-2023, 05:55 PM
They can stick that stat in their trophy cabinet along with all the league cups they've won since 1962

YES 👍

Vente and ALF are our best strikers, but I’d be quite comfortable with Doidge starting.

Think I’d prefer ALF on for Doidge after an hour rather than our two natural finishers both coming off around that time at 0-0, like against Dundee.

We have options these days. It’s a good thing - and I’ve got confidence in Monty and the team, looking forward to it.

Winston Ingram
05-10-2023, 07:31 PM
I really like Christian Doidge but if he was lining up against us I’d never be particularly worried.

I know Kye Rowles would rather he didn’t play. He got bullied by Nisbet last year and he’d never bullied anyone.

CapitalGreen
05-10-2023, 07:39 PM
I know Kye Rowles would rather he didn’t play. He got bullied by Nisbet last year and he’d never bullied anyone.

Nisbet is a significantly better striker than Doidge.

Saint Hibee
05-10-2023, 07:50 PM

I hate to agree, but I do agree. I just don’t think Doidge is the kind of goal threat we need in a derby.

Brightside
05-10-2023, 08:35 PM
I hate to agree, but I do agree. I just don’t think Doidge is the kind of goal threat we need in a derby.

I think him and Vente will start. Alf gives us a different approach once the oppo is tired. Vente likes to come deeper too.

WeeRussell
05-10-2023, 08:36 PM

I think he must’ve bullied you at some point!

Donegal Hibby
05-10-2023, 09:55 PM
I'd probably go for Doidge starting over Alf purely because i think Doidge would handle the physical side of the derby better than Alf though won't be disappointed if Alf starts either.

Smartie
05-10-2023, 10:13 PM

He’s the type of player who gives Paul Hanlon a horrible afternoon every once in a while. If he’d left us and gone to a team in the same league you could guarantee he’d have at least one stormer and goal against us the following season.

Brightside
05-10-2023, 10:57 PM
He’s the type of player who gives Paul Hanlon a horrible afternoon every once in a while. If he’d left us and gone to a team in the same league you could guarantee he’d have at least one stormer and goal against us the following season.

Happens about 3 games a season.

Donegal Hibby
05-10-2023, 11:27 PM
It wasn’t a foul!!!

I dunno how you can say you wouldn’t single anyone out though, when you’ve repeatedly tried to defend Rocky by pointing out Fish’s faults.

Ok , easty you think it wasn't a foul !!! Fair enough . Though I've seen similar incidents given as fouls more times than they aren't , I've seen penalties given for the same or no contact , I've seen keepers challenged were there's been the same contact or less and freekicks given . I've watched games were the Old firm has got decisions with just as much contact or less as well . Monty thought it was a foul as well but he's obviously wrong as well .

I'm not trying to defend Rocky because I know he's made mistakes though most of the team have as well!!!. I've pointed out not faults with Fish but merely a mistake he made though I did say in one of my post Youan didn't keep tracking his man and Obita was involved too and mentioned the DEFENSE was poor for the 2nd goal.

As to the Killie game I said the midfield couldn't keep any possession and gave the ball away to easily which put pressure on the defense and the corner was bad defending on our part as a GROUP !!! . I have no issues with Fish as I think he's a good young player like Rocky is . I think the whole team defensively in certain games could do better and am certainly not trying to make Fish or any other player a scapegoat for it , I've certainly not called any player CRAP for any mistakes yet either!!!

Brightside
05-10-2023, 11:32 PM
can we just agree its not best to play Rocky at LCB. I can inly imagine how bad Fish is on his left tbh.

Winston Ingram
06-10-2023, 05:19 AM
Nisbet is a significantly better striker than Doidge.

Not at the physical aspect. I’d never seen him bully anyone before the Hearts game at ER.

allezsauzee
06-10-2023, 06:32 AM
I'd be inclined to start Doidge because I think long throws could be especially effective on their tiny pitch. I would imagine that Naebadges will want to break the game up as often as possible so I could see us getting a lot of set pieces.

06-10-2023, 08:47 PM

Rocky or Hanlon
Stevenson or Obita
ALF or Doidge

Marshall

Miller
Fish
Hanlon
Obita

Boyle
Jeggo
Newell
Youan

ALF
Vente

Hanlon, Obita and Alf but would be okay if Doidge started ahead of Alf. Wouldn't have a problem if Stevenson got the nod ahead of Obita, not keen on Rocky ahead of Hanlon.

Daily Hibs
07-10-2023, 06:45 AM
Hope the two untouchables Hanlon and Stevenson are nowhere near the starting eleven today.

Let's go there and take the game to them Hibs! Doidge and Vente upfront today please.

GGTTH

Gmack7
07-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Hope the two untouchables Hanlon and Stevenson are nowhere near the starting eleven today.

Let's go there and take the game to them Hibs!

GGTTH
You've started your pi$$ early

Since90+2
07-10-2023, 06:53 AM

Let's go there and take the game to them Hibs! Doidge and Vente upfront today please.

GGTTH

Here's a novel idea, try and support the team for once instead of constant negativity.

Daily Hibs
07-10-2023, 06:54 AM
Here's a novel idea, try and support the team for once instead of constant negativity.

GGTTH

Libby Hibby
07-10-2023, 06:56 AM
Wow, the asylum has let the lunatics out early this morning.

Daily Hibs
07-10-2023, 07:02 AM
My post is not negative. 3,500 Hibs fans going there today in a positive frame of mind. The players also have to give them something to be positive about?

Pedantic_Hibee
07-10-2023, 07:05 AM
My post is not negative. 3,500 Hibs fans going there today in a positive frame of mind. The players also have to give them something to be positive about?

Hermit, is that you?

WeeRussell
07-10-2023, 08:37 AM

GGTTH

Let’s hope you’re nowhere near hibs.net at 5pm and we’ll ken we’ve turned them over.

Unseen work
07-10-2023, 08:42 AM
I get why people say start Doidge and thought it myself for a while.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be ALF.

Doidge plays into Hearts hands, ALF will make them have to think and be aware of his whereabouts at all times - never mind Vente, Boyle and Youan.

ALF is the one that can drop, get on it, produce a bit off skill or score a chance most couldn’t.

If he was a 25 year old producing the performances he has I doubt it would even be a question.

Get him on from the start while the game is 0-0.

easty
07-10-2023, 08:43 AM

GGTTH

I hope a car drives through a puddle and accidentally soaks you. Accidentally.

superfurryhibby
07-10-2023, 08:48 AM

Why don't you go and write something nice on the **** the Hertz thread and gie us peace.

Pretty Boy
07-10-2023, 08:56 AM
Ian Thorpe

Michael Phelps
Adam Peaty
Duncan Scott
Grant Hackett

Chad Le Clos
Mark Spitz
Aleksandr Popov
Matt Biondi

Tom Dean
Duncan Goodhew

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2023, 08:57 AM
Ian Thorpe

Michael Phelps
Adam Peaty
Duncan Scott
Grant Hackett

Chad Le Clos
Mark Spitz
Aleksandr Popov
Matt Biondi

Tom Dean
Duncan Goodhew

You left oot Billy The Fish

JimBHibees
07-10-2023, 09:03 AM

GGTTH

:yawn2:

eaststandstoner
07-10-2023, 09:04 AM
The way I see it, Most attacking team possible an take the game to them simple as that

WeeRussell
07-10-2023, 09:05 AM
I get why people say start Doidge and thought it myself for a while.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it has to be ALF.

Doidge plays into Hearts hands, ALF will make them have to think and be aware of his whereabouts at all times - never mind Vente, Boyle and Youan.

ALF is the one that can drop, get on it, produce a bit off skill or score a chance most couldn’t.

If he was a 25 year old producing the performances he has I doubt it would even be a question.

Get him on from the start while the game is 0-0.

Very fair points.

Allant1981
07-10-2023, 09:18 AM

They are the most negative poster on here, yet to see a post that's positive, trolling to get a reaction

WhileTheChief..
07-10-2023, 10:02 AM
The way I see it, Most attacking team possible an take the game to them simple as that

Yup, hope we go this way too.

Feeling really confident about this one. Might just be our day to score a few against them.

eaststandstoner
07-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Yup, hope we go this way too.

Feeling really confident about this one. Might just be our day to score a few against them.

Aye why no mate, I’ll take 1-0 but think they’ll give us chances so 3-1 hibs

Tambo
07-10-2023, 10:28 AM
Is it just me who is less nervous than usual for a Derby?

Mon the Hibs.

Edit: have just seen the game off last few pages, don't look great.

WeeRussell
07-10-2023, 10:39 AM
Is it just me who is less nervous than usual for a Derby?

Mon the Hibs.

Edit: have just seen the game off last few pages, don't look great.

More nervous about the rain than hearts.

Billy Whizz
07-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Just watched the interview with Joe newell
Thought the questioning of asking if Joe would like to he captain today was a bit awkward for him
Basically he gets it if Hanlon isn’t selected, which was a bit unfair to ask him