PDA

View Full Version : View from the East

Irish_Steve
28-09-2023, 10:37 AM
Now, it goes without saying that sitting in a another part of the ground results in a different aspect on the game.

My ST is in the executive seats in the FFU, right in line with the penalty spots. On Saturday, when we were playing the ball out from the back, I was practically kicking the seat in front of me in an attempt to get the defenders to knock the ball up the pitch.

Then, sitting in the East last night, I saw how much room those said defenders had. I'm still unsure about having Rocky bring the ball out from the back as I think we will only get caught out!

And Jordan Obita needs to change the colour of his boots if he's going to continuously take foul throws lol

Trinity Hibee
28-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Ye the difference in legroom is very noticeable in east compared to the other stands.

Irish_Steve
28-09-2023, 11:11 AM
Ye the difference in legroom is very noticeable in east compared to the other stands.

Aye, but those plastic seats! My bahookie has grown accustomed to my nice padded seat in the FFU :wink:

SChibs
28-09-2023, 11:13 AM

I find it hard to sit in the West after years of the East due to the cramped leg room. I can't believe people sit there every week!

Trinity Hibee
28-09-2023, 11:14 AM
Aye, but those plastic seats! My bahookie has grown accustomed to my nice padded seat in the FFU :wink:

Don’t blame you!

Hibby70
28-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Moved to the East last night from our usual West lower seats. Reckon the laddie will want us to move permanently next season.

It's a better view v decent folk around us dilemma. Could end up next to some complete roaster 😂

H18 SFR
28-09-2023, 11:39 AM
Moved to the East last night from our usual West lower seats. Reckon the laddie will want us to move permanently next season.

It's a better view v decent folk around us dilemma. Could end up next to some complete roaster 😂

We were in section 44 last night for a change, nice folk there as well although they were all saying they are buzzing that the singing section will be moving. Not convinced that they are as popular as threads on this board would suggest.

.Sean.
28-09-2023, 12:01 PM
We were in section 44 last night for a change, nice folk there as well although they were all saying they are buzzing that the singing section will be moving. Not convinced that they are as popular as threads on this board would suggest.
I’m in 43 and I agree. I moved to the West Lower last night for a breather 😂

NAE NOOKIE
28-09-2023, 12:20 PM

Yer ok mate. I sit in the FF upper :greengrin

CockneyRebel
28-09-2023, 12:24 PM

My ST is front row West Upper section 12 (next seats along are the black Comp ones). Last night I sat just one row back (BB71) up against a wall (left it too late to buy my ST for this game). The amount of leg/foot room is actually laughable. The guy sat in my usual seat in front of me had my knees either side of his head, like a pair of ear muffs. No way could I sit there regularly (or ever again).

CockneyRebel
28-09-2023, 12:29 PM
My ST is front row West Upper section 12 (next seats along are the black Comp ones). Last night I sat just one row back (BB71) up against a wall (left it too late to buy my ST for this game). The amount of leg/foot room is actually laughable. The guy sat in my usual seat in front of me had my knees either side of his head, like a pair of ear muffs. No way could I sit there regularly (or ever again).

Just realised from other posts that my usual front row seat in West Upper has more leg room than pretty much anywhere else so perhaps I have been spoiled, having extra leg room and prawn sandwiches. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
28-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Now, it goes without saying that sitting in a another part of the ground results in a different aspect on the game.

My ST is in the executive seats in the FFU, right in line with the penalty spots. On Saturday, when we were playing the ball out from the back, I was practically kicking the seat in front of me in an attempt to get the defenders to knock the ball up the pitch.

Then, sitting in the East last night, I saw how much room those said defenders had. I'm still unsure about having Rocky bring the ball out from the back as I think we will only get caught out!

And Jordan Obita needs to change the colour of his boots if he's going to continuously take foul throws lol

Not many, if any. seats with a bad view in the east. The difference for me is that from my usual seat, not far from yours, in the FF upper it allows you to watch the play develop, which is a perspective you don't get from the side, much easier to see a possible through ball and the like from there.

Irish_Steve
28-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Not many, if any. seats with a bad view in the east. The difference for me is that from my usual seat, not far from yours, in the FF upper it allows you to watch the play develop, which is a perspective you don't get from the side, much easier to see a possible through ball and the like from there.

Yeah, you do see the play alot easier and I would get frustrated with Marshall not distributing the ball quicker sometimes but last night, I realised he can't always see what we see

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2023, 01:04 PM
The leg room in the West Lower is awful compared to my seat in the West Upper (HH). Also watching the game from the side is far superior to behind a goal in my opinion.

Hibby70
28-09-2023, 01:17 PM
This is why we need a General Admission safe standing section. Don't like the muttlike character next to you? Just move to a different spot.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2023, 01:19 PM
I find it hard to sit in the West after years of the East due to the cramped leg room. I can't believe people sit there every week!

Is the east more comfortable?

Pretty Boy
28-09-2023, 01:25 PM

I hate watching football from side on.

Only place I will do it willfully is Hampden because of how far away the seats behind the goals are. As you say so much easier to see play develop when watching from behind the goals, particularly when high up.

Irish_Steve
28-09-2023, 01:25 PM
I don't think I'd ever move from the FFU, I may move out of the Executive seats if they get too dear but I love the fact that I never get wet. Sometimes I wonder how folk put up with it, getting soaked to the skin as we get humped off Livi or someone like that

green day
28-09-2023, 02:02 PM
Bit confused about people posting the West is cramped, my ST is in section 11, row BB - I am 6 foot 1 and theres loads of room.

I have previously sat in the East and found it fine as well.

I think Easter Road is generally pretty good for legroom.

You really notice what a silly antiquated dump Tynecastle is when you go there and the seats are too close - both in leg and shoulder room. Its like being in the upper circle of the Kings Theatre - and that only gets a pass because it was built when most people were comparative midgets..........

wookie70
28-09-2023, 02:20 PM
My ST is front row West Upper section 12 (next seats along are the black Comp ones). Last night I sat just one row back (BB71) up against a wall (left it too late to buy my ST for this game). The amount of leg/foot room is actually laughable. The guy sat in my usual seat in front of me had my knees either side of his head, like a pair of ear muffs. No way could I sit there regularly (or ever again). I'm front row of west upper too. Massive amounts of legroom but the safety bar is a bit of a pain. The view is fantastic the row behind but the legroom very poor

aljo7-0
28-09-2023, 02:25 PM
it's interesting reading that folk like to sit behind a goal to see play develop - hadn't thought about it like that before.

When I've sat behind a goal I get frustrated that once the ball reaches the half way line you lose perspective on just how far away from the far goal the ball/play is.

I sit in the west now and guess I do miss a bit of how the play is developing and teams are being moved from side to side. What I like about the side on view most I guess is an appreciation of the speed the ball and players can move at which I don't think I'd get behind a goal. The Villa game being a prime example - I was hugely impressed at the speed they moved the ball up field

overdrive
28-09-2023, 02:40 PM
The leg room in the West Lower is awful compared to my seat in the West Upper (HH). Also watching the game from the side is far superior to behind a goal in my opinion.

I'm the opposite. I'm FF Upper and I hate when I have to sit in the West or East. There always seems to be a bit of the pitch out of view at the side and I actually came away from the match last night with a bit of a sore neck (and we were fairly central). As others have said, you get a way better view of how play is progressing/about to progress from behind the goal too.

The leg room is awful in the West compared to the FF Upper. I'm lucky in that my ST is in the front row of the FF Upper so have even more leg room from other seats in the FF Upper but even those are way better than anything I've experienced in the West, even in the front row of the West Upper.

As Pretty Boy said, the only place I'd avoid behind the goal is Hampden (or a similar stadium). For future reference for fellow side view haters, a good compromise at Hampden is the Upper Tier in the corner at Hampden. I've had two different sets of seats there (Henderson corner) for the two multi-match package season ticket type things for Scotland games that I've done and was also in the opposite corner in the upper for the Celtic final a few years ago and its been the best views at Hampden that I've had. The only issue has been our current seats for the Scotland games (front row upper) has a barrier at the bottom of the aisle that blocks some of the view but you can duck under it to see. The equivalent seat in the row behind wouldn't have that issue.

overdrive
28-09-2023, 02:44 PM
I'm front row of west upper too. Massive amounts of legroom but the safety bar is a bit of a pain. The view is fantastic the row behind but the legroom very poor

I don't know why they have that there (and have found it annoying when I've been in the front row of the West too). I've been in the front row of the FF Upper since it was built and when it originally opened, it had a similar safety barrier. Quite a few of us complained early on (well not me personally as I was a child) and it was replaced with a curved plastic barrier that is flush to the wall. No blocking of views other than when people lean over it as their default sitting position for some reason.

Irish_Steve
28-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Thinking about Saturday's opponents, sitting in the FFU a few years ago gave us a wonderful view of the diving header own goal, I think it's my fave OK from an away team

overdrive
28-09-2023, 02:52 PM
it's interesting reading that folk like to sit behind a goal to see play develop - hadn't thought about it like that before.

When I've sat behind a goal I get frustrated that once the ball reaches the half way line you lose perspective on just how far away from the far goal the ball/play is.

I sit in the west now and guess I do miss a bit of how the play is developing and teams are being moved from side to side. What I like about the side on view most I guess is an appreciation of the speed the ball and players can move at which I don't think I'd get behind a goal. The Villa game being a prime example - I was hugely impressed at the speed they moved the ball up field

Again I'm the opposite. I think Boyle and Youan look faster when I'm in the FF vs the West. My dad, who hasn't been able to attend a game for months due to illness until this week , actually made a couple of comments last night. First off "Youan can't be trying he's very slow now he's got his new contract" and "it looks like Boyle has lost a lot of his pace after his injury". I genuinely think rather than speaking crap, my dad was perceiving them to be slower due to the position we were watching them from.

Hibernian Verse
28-09-2023, 02:56 PM

Are you in Section 13?

Scouse Hibee
29-09-2023, 01:28 AM
Are you in Section 13?

No, block 12.

matty_f
29-09-2023, 06:38 AM

Only place I will do it willfully is Hampden because of how far away the seats behind the goals are. As you say so much easier to see play develop when watching from behind the goals, particularly when high up.

I disagree, I’m in the second back row of the West Upper (not right now, I’m still in bed…) and the perspective is brilliant for watching play develop. I wouldn’t swap for a behind the goals view.

Totally agree about Hampden though, behind the goals there is virtually in av different postcode to the action.

Edit: plenty leg room at my seat as well (section 13).

Dmas
29-09-2023, 06:57 AM
I’ve been doing a bit of touring when I’ve been going to games now my boys old enough and interested I’d like to get a ST so trying to find the best place, although FFL is great for the kids, im in a toss up over west and east so been jumping to different sections in both, I was just behind the dugouts recently in the west which was a great view I was thinking the row up against the wall would be my next try, we where also the very back row in the East nose bleed stuff that my seat was actually right on the stairway so plenty leg room but one missed step celebrating it looks like certain death so a bit lower down next time in there.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2023, 07:01 AM
Best view I have had for watching the game develop is back row of the West Stand half way line

Only issue I had was the oxygen tank needed to scale the heights

You could spot dangers immediately and tell in an an instant who was and who wasn’t having a good game

I remember Eddie Turnbull moving from the dugout to the Stand in the 1970’s for a better view and he was not averse to changing things at Half Time

I used to stand behind the goals in the Cave only view you got was the opposition goalie and the baw hitting the onion bag

Only been in the East once versus Dortmund once again in the Gods back row took an age to get oot

CockneyRebel
29-09-2023, 07:23 AM
I'm front row of west upper too. Massive amounts of legroom but the safety bar is a bit of a pain. The view is fantastic the row behind but the legroom very poor

Aye, my ST seat in row AA block 12 is brilliant for the view and leg room and I will never swap (unless I manage to afford a black front row seat above the halfway line). My experience in row BB for the cup tie was in a row of just 9/10 seats in block 12 with their backs to a wall which is part of the exit/entrance of the stairway to the concourse. This was the first and last time I will sit in that particular row. The leg room there is pure agony.
I spent a few seasons in FF Upper as soon as it was built but that was purely for the family ST deal. I have to agree with other posters who say that side-on viewing is far better for following a match. Behind the goals you have to sit, back row, at the top to see enough of the pitch, and up the top is too far away IMO. Not really a cause for discussion or argument as it seems to be just personal preferences.

Brightside
29-09-2023, 07:42 AM

Really? You get no depth perception. If it was a good way to watch football the coaches would be at the ends. :greengrin. Ive honestly never heard people say they'd rather watch from behind the goals.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2023, 07:51 AM
Really? You get no depth perception. If it was a good way to watch football the coaches would be at the ends. :greengrin. Ive honestly never heard people say they'd rather watch from behind the goals.

Based on that logic, the best view in the ground must be from pitch level, otherwise the coaches would be higher up.

As mentioned above, it's down to trade-offs and personal preference. You do get a better view of team shape and possible forward progression from behind the goal (as long as you're high enough), but the flattened perspective in the opposite half is too much for me, so I strongly prefer sitting at the side of the pitch. It's not as simple as one being inherently better for everyone though.

Brightside
29-09-2023, 09:53 AM
Based on that logic, the best view in the ground must be from pitch level, otherwise the coaches would be higher up.

As mentioned above, it's down to trade-offs and personal preference. You do get a better view of team shape and possible forward progression from behind the goal (as long as you're high enough), but the flattened perspective in the opposite half is too much for me, so I strongly prefer sitting at the side of the pitch. It's not as simple as one being inherently better for everyone though.

Side on gives a much better view of everything going on. Almost all Camera work comes from there, VAR comes from there, coaches watch from there (wether pitch side or in the stand), executive seating is placed there, scouts watch from there. Goal stand seating is cheaper in every ground in the country and thats the reason why.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2023, 10:35 AM
Side on gives a much better view of everything going on. Almost all Camera work comes from there, VAR comes from there, coaches watch from there (wether pitch side or in the stand), executive seating is placed there, scouts watch from there. Goal stand seating is cheaper in every ground in the country and thats the reason why.I agree (as I said, I strongly prefer sitting at the side).

But that doesn't mean there are no advantages at all to the view from behind the goal and surely it's not hard to believe that some people prefer it.

superfurryhibby
29-09-2023, 10:45 AM
I agree (as I said, I strongly prefer sitting at the side).

But that doesn't mean there are no advantages at all to the view from behind the goal and surely it's not hard to believe that some people prefer it.

Hibs seem to have cameras in the south stand (in the windowed areas), which I assume are for recording matches for analysis purposes. I guess side and front on views offer different perspectives.

On a personal note, I liked the view from the West upper, it somehow seemed closer to the play than where we sit in the East (W). Angle of the stand is different.

.Sean.
29-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Hibs seem to have cameras in the south stand (in the windowed areas), which I assume are for recording matches for analysis purposes. I guess side and front on views offer different perspectives.

On a personal note, I liked the view from the West upper, it somehow seemed closer to the play than where we sit in the East (W). Angle of the stand is different.
The bit where the black sheet cover the seats in front of the window? That’s the police control room I’m sure

.Sean.
29-09-2023, 10:53 AM

The bit where the black sheet cover the seats in front of the window? That’s the police control room I’m sure

Also on your second point is the West not closer to the pitch than the East? My season ticket seat is in the East but I sat behind the away dugout on Wednesday night and the run off area at the side of the pitch seems like nothing in comparison on the east side

superfurryhibby
29-09-2023, 10:54 AM

Did wonder about that too. Do they use the security cameras in the ground to monitor what's going on?

I'm not sure about the west being closer to the pitch, it may well be. I had a season in the west lower a good few years ago, but have rarely sat in the upper, so it's fairly unfamiliar to me. I liked the quick escape as well.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2023, 10:54 AM

Yeah, for me the front of the West Upper is about the ideal balance of height vs distance from pitch.

.Sean.
29-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Did wonder about that too. Do they use the security cameras in the ground to monitor what's going on?
Yeah I think so. I presume the seats not being in use is so they can stare at us out the window. Excellent use of their stretched resources and Hibs also lose out versus the Old Firm and Hearts by not being able to sell those seats.

CapitalGreen
29-09-2023, 11:04 AM

Hibs have cameras situated at the top of the stands behind the goals for tactical analysis.

Scouse Hibee
29-09-2023, 11:20 AM

The depth perception is a massive thing for me especially as I got older.😀

O'Rourke3
29-09-2023, 11:30 AM
Side view for me. This should get added to the uber fan debate...

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Keith_M
29-09-2023, 11:31 AM
Me and the old man had Season Tickets in the West Lower for one season, and moved because the legroom was awful. We were in section 3, second row from the back.

Because the back row was narrow as well, I'd often have to (politely) ask people sitting behind to move a bit, as their knees were sticking in my back. It wasn't their fault, as anybody reasonably tall would be struggling to sit comfortably.

What I would say, though, is that it wasn't actually as bad as Rugby Park. The rows of seats there are ridiculously narrow (and the seats are manky)

Carheenlea
29-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Yeah, for me the front of the West Upper is about the ideal balance of height vs distance from pitch.

My ST is from row of West Upper. When sitting back in seat I can’t see anyone sat below and need to sit forward to see the first few rows. You feel right on top of the action and have a great view regardless of what way we are shooting.

NAE NOOKIE
29-09-2023, 01:09 PM

Well, there's at least two folk on this thread alone saying it :greengrin

I agree that you lose some depth perception when the play is in the furthest away half of the pitch, but there's nowhere better to sit than the FF upper when Hibs are attacking that end.

Brightside
29-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Well, there's at least two folk on this thread alone saying it :greengrin

I agree that you lose some depth perception when the play is in the furthest away half of the pitch, but there's nowhere better to sit than the FF upper when Hibs are attacking that end.

I've only read one....:greengrin and I think he's just misunderstood. :wink:

LewysGot2
29-09-2023, 03:13 PM
Me and the old man had Season Tickets in the West Lower for one season, and moved because the legroom was awful. We were in section 3, second row from the back.

Because the back row was narrow as well, I'd often have to (politely) ask people sitting behind to move a bit, as their knees were sticking in my back. It wasn't their fault, as anybody reasonably tall would be struggling to sit comfortably.

What I would say, though, is that it wasn't actually as bad as Rugby Park. The rows of seats there are ridiculously narrow (and the seats are manky)

Rugby Park and Dens - both no legroom for fans. Horrible places for it.

West Lower marginally better but not great. West Upper much comfier leg room

greenlad
29-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Rugby Park and Dens - both no legroom for fans. Horrible places for it.

West Lower marginally better but not great. West Upper much comfier leg room

The original Jerry Kerr stand seating at Tannadice when it was wooden "slat" seats. Absolutely chronic legroom and it's even commentated on in The Football Grounds of Great Britain by Simon Inglis.

Think it was refitted with plastic seats in 2010. Not sure what it's like now.

CockneyRebel
29-09-2023, 03:51 PM
I agree (as I said, I strongly prefer sitting at the side).

IMO viewing from the behind the goals or lower down than the 5th row up in the lower side stands takes away the overall depth perception. I used to stand at the bottom of the old terracing because my pals (who gave me a lift both ways) liked it there. I never got used to it and eventually got family group ST as soon as the FF opened and went higher to the back row FF Lower and would never drop down again. As soon as the family ST was no longer needed I hot footed it to the West Upper front row and stayed there ever since.

LewysGot2
29-09-2023, 03:54 PM
The original Jerry Kerr stand seating at Tannadice when it was wooden "slat" seats. Absolutely chronic legroom and it's even commentated on in The Football Grounds of Great Britain by Simon Inglis.

Think it was refitted with plastic seats in 2010. Not sure what it's like now.

Tannadice fine compared to Dens and Killie.

CockneyRebel
29-09-2023, 03:54 PM

:aok:

Irish_Steve
29-09-2023, 06:07 PM
I’d still be behind the goals in my FFU seat. From there, you have a very good idea of an incoming shot from either team will be going in.

Plus I get a decent view of the top of Arthur’s Seat if the game is rubbish

superfurryhibby
29-09-2023, 06:17 PM
I’d still be behind the goals in my FFU seat. From there, you have a very good idea of an incoming shot from either team will be going in.

Plus I get a decent view of the top of Arthur’s Seat if the game is rubbish

Those black seats? Sat there a couple of times years ago. Well comfy and warmer on a freezing night (7-0 v Livi). Great view but still hard to see perspective at the other end maybe?

SChibs
29-09-2023, 07:52 PM
I think side on is best for watching the while match but goals looks better when you are behind the goal

Irish_Steve
30-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Those black seats? Sat there a couple of times years ago. Well comfy and warmer on a freezing night (7-0 v Livi). Great view but still hard to see perspective at the other end maybe?

Aye, those seats, a bit more expensive but certainly more comfortable! Never had a problem with perspective at the other end.

I suppose what it all boils down to if you sit in the same stand for years, then any other seat within the ground seems a bit strange

Jones28
30-09-2023, 03:05 PM
West is my favourite, had season tickets in the upper and lower.

Behind the goals in the upper tier is a decent enough view as well.

Tbh there isn’t a spot in the stadium where the view is “bad”.

SChibs
30-09-2023, 04:54 PM
West is my favourite, had season tickets in the upper and lower.

Behind the goals in the upper tier is a decent enough view as well.

Tbh there isn’t a spot in the stadium where the view is “bad”.

I was sat in the away side of the West Lower today but couldn't see what was happening down the touchline towards the FF. I was row L

Jones28
30-09-2023, 04:58 PM
I was sat in the away side of the West Lower today but couldn't see what was happening down the touchline towards the FF. I was row L

Yeah that’s the issues with those seats in the west lower.

I think because we had them on the FF side of the stand and it was during the Mowbray/Collins era I have a certain fondness for that part of the ground.

From a purely viewing perspective west upper is the place to be for me. Flawless seats. I really like being right at the front of the upper tiers or above the vomitorium steps.

overdrive
02-10-2023, 02:59 PM

We tried out similar seats in the West Upper when they were wanting us out of our seats when the singing section moved into our section and it was a crap view too. Hibs said those were the best seats available to us. We stayed put.

Brightside
02-10-2023, 05:37 PM

Is that right at the very end? Im row L WestLower and can see all the way along the touch-line. We are one block over from the dugout.

SChibs
02-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Is that right at the very end? Im row L WestLower and can see all the way along the touch-line. We are one block over from the dugout.

I was in seat 60