PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

Pages : [1] 2

cameronw-hfc
28-09-2023, 12:55 AM
As much as I rated Joe highly before this year, he's had a pretty outstanding season so far. Consistency was the one thing people would criticise him for, in my opinion he's been largely pretty good for the last 12 months now, bordering on exceptional this season so far.

From a boo boys target to a bona-fide fans favourite, some turn around for the guy.

Personally would like to see him have the armband permanently. I love Hanlon for all he's done for the club, but I think Joe fits that role better currently. The video of the youth players talking about who they look up to was the biggest selling point for me during pre-season. Pretty much all of them said Joe.

A terrific footballer and loves the club as well.

badabing67
28-09-2023, 01:19 AM
As much as I rated Joe highly before this year, he's had a pretty outstanding season so far. Consistency was the one thing people would criticise him for, in my opinion he's been largely pretty good for the last 12 months now, bordering on exceptional this season so far.

From a boo boys target to a bona-fide fans favourite, some turn around for the guy.

Personally would like to see him have the armband permanently. I love Hanlon for all he's done for the club, but I think Joe fits that role better currently. The video of the youth players talking about who they look up to was the biggest selling point for me during pre-season. Pretty much all of them said Joe.

A terrific footballer and loves the club as well.

Agreed, would love to see him lift a cup or 2

flash
28-09-2023, 07:11 AM
The heart of the team and the man who drives us on when we need it.

Week in week out one of the best players on the park.

matty_f
28-09-2023, 07:20 AM
The heart of the team and the man who drives us on when we need it.

Week in week out one of the best players on the park.

He’s been outstanding for a while now, he’s a proper leader on the park both in his own performance and in encouraging others.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2023, 07:23 AM
He's been captain in all but name for a long while now. No surprise at all to see him with the armband the last few weeks and wouldn't shock me if if was made official next season.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 08:10 AM
Has really kicked on in the last year

Was outstanding again last night one 40 yard pass to Boyler’s chest second half was sublime

J-C
28-09-2023, 08:32 AM
I always seen him as a bit of a show pony with inconsistency being a fault but I take my hat off to him and think he's now established as the team leader. He's been the best player for us for a good wee while mow, I'd happily make him captain.

The Modfather
28-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Credit where it’s due, I’ve never been fully convinced previously, but he’s been good, and improved his consistency, for the last year or so.

Funnily enough, he has come 180 and gone from a target for criticism to one that now escapes criticism. On the back of the credit in the bank he has built up, which I never felt he had a whole lot of at any any set time previously, it must be said. He was poor, along with everyone else, the first 3 league games and second half v Killie, alongside the rest of the team. Yet would be wrong to hold that against him and he’s having a good season overall.

Think it was the St Johnstone game, in the second half he received the ball, spun, shrugged off the St Johnstone player and drove up the park. That’s always been one of my main criticisms of Newell and something he does a lot more the last year or so than previously.

hibee-boys
28-09-2023, 08:43 AM
First name on the team sheet, end off.

NAE NOOKIE
28-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Never understood the negativity around him, no denying he was inconsistent for a bit, but on his game the best player at Hibs. First name on the team sheet now. That wee cameo last night where he ran the ball out of defence beating about 3 players to do it was sublime.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 09:09 AM
Never understood the negativity around him, no denying he was inconsistent for a bit, but on his game the best player at Hibs. First name on the team sheet now. That wee cameo last night where he ran the ball out of defence beating about 3 players to do it was sublime.

My biggest bugbear was his inconsistency and also thought his corners throw ins and free kicks were pretty shan by and large also his lack of goals 8:153 or something but did notice a wee variation in free kicks last night that I put down to Monty

Without a doubt he has improved

Carheenlea
28-09-2023, 09:12 AM
Seems to love life at Hibs. Could be a mainstay of our side for many years to come and rack up a big number of appearances. If he cotinues to perform to this standard then that would be no bad thing at all.

Since452
28-09-2023, 09:19 AM
He's matured into a fine player. Playing some brilliant football this season just following on from last.

MWHIBBIES
Never really been in doubt. Clear as soon as he switched to the middle how good he is.

Forza Fred
First name on the teamsheet and an integral part of the team.

Only criticism I have of him is his penchant for giving away some needless fouls.

B.H.F.C
28-09-2023, 09:21 AM
I never thought consistency was an issue for Newell. Granted he’d have the odd really good game but I thought the vast majority of the time his performances were fairly consistent, just not near the current level.

Over the course of the last year he’s really improved in my eyes and is contributing more than he ever has, playing the best football he has since he arrived.

matty_f
28-09-2023, 09:24 AM
My biggest bugbear was his inconsistency and also thought his corners throw ins and free kicks were pretty shan by and large also his lack of goals 8:153 or something but did notice a wee variation in free kicks last night that I put down to Monty

Bonus points for using “shan” in your post. Big fan of that, would read again.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 09:26 AM

Lived and worked in Leith for 5 years Matty

👍

ian cruise
28-09-2023, 09:28 AM
Great to see him being as effective as he is. He always had talent, but we never seemed to play in a way that supported his key attributes leading to critics of his work rate or lack of heart, when really he just had a lack of support. Now we're letting him dictate our play, and giving him the support of a strong defensive minded midfield colleague, we're definitely seeing the best of him.

EdinMike
28-09-2023, 09:57 AM
I have a friend who’s a Leeds fan, and keeps an eye on us and he’s picked out Newell for a few weeks now. The guy is a machine ! And Jeggo helps his new role I think !

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2023, 10:22 AM

He doesn't need to score goals. If he never scored for us again, he'd still be our best player.

DH1875
28-09-2023, 10:25 AM
When is his contract up?

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 10:28 AM
He doesn't need to score goals. If he never scored for us again, he'd still be our best player.

Aye ok

Said himself he knows it

NAE NOOKIE
28-09-2023, 10:32 AM

Don't think he's ever going to be a 10 a season player in all honesty, if you watch his cracking goal against Luzern Vente's lay off gave him no choice but to hit it first time and that undoubtedly helped. Generally his shooting ability is right up there with Dylan McGeouch's :greengrin

Goals from midfield are always welcome, but with the firepower we now have in the final 3rd hopefully that will be less of a requirement. If I have one worry over Newell it's burnout, as things stand he's undroppable but he has to work his proverbial socks off in every game in that 2 man midfield.

Montgomery expects 100% effort all the time, every time, and that's what you get from Joe Newell, but it would be some shift to play the full 90 minutes plus in every game of a long season, if Levitt can live up to the hype and either replace him or be subbed on for him in a few games and be just as effective it wouldn't be a bad thing for the team as a whole .... the least you could hope for for an outlay of three hundred thousand quid you would think.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Don't think he's ever going to be a 10 a season player in all honesty, if you watch his cracking goal against Luzern Vente's lay off gave him no choice but to hit it first time and that undoubtedly helped. Generally his shooting ability is right up there with Dylan McGeouch's :greengrin

Goals from midfield are always welcome, but with the firepower we now have in the final 3rd hopefully that will be less of a requirement. If I have one worry over Newell it's burnout, as things stand he's undroppable but he has to work his proverbial socks off in every game in that 2 man midfield.

Montgomery expects 100% effort all the time, every time, and that's what you get from Joe Newell, but it would be some shift to play the full 90 minutes plus in every game of a long season, if Levitt can live up to the hype and either replace him or be subbed on for him in a few games and be just as effective it wouldn't be a bad thing for the team as a whole .... the least you could hope for for an outlay of three hundred thousand quid you would think.

👍

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Aye ok

Said himself he knows it

Great.

He would still be our best player if he never scored again.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2023, 02:24 PM
Great.

He would still be our best player if he never scored again.

If he keeps playing at the level he is playing just now every week he will be

A goal against Hearts would be nice though

JimBHibees
28-09-2023, 02:26 PM
If he keeps playing at the level he is playing just now every week he will be

A goal against Hearts would be nice though

Certainly would missed a glorious chance at Hearts last time we played there. His form is exceptional at the moment.

O'Rourke3
29-09-2023, 10:51 PM
Never really been in doubt. Clear as soon as he switched to the middle how good he is.This!

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

tamig
30-09-2023, 12:18 AM
Where’s that Loanhead Hibby charlatan when you’re looking for an up to date appraisal of JN? He’s been outstanding this season and I’m sure he’ll continue to prove his worth even more under NM as the season progresses. Disappointing that Joe has had quite a few detractors on here. Always been a quality player.

Dmas
30-09-2023, 04:58 AM
Where’s that Loanhead Hibby charlatan when you’re looking for an up to date appraisal of JN? He’s been outstanding this season and I’m sure he’ll continue to prove his worth even more under NM as the season progresses. Disappointing that Joe has had quite a few detractors on here. Always been a quality player.

Let’s not kid ourselves on he’s been playing at this level and some of us just didn’t notice, Joe showed how good he could be one game then went missing the next 5, I’m delighted he’s managed to find consistency in his game he’s been outstanding probably since the split last season and really pushed on this season again, well done to the guy he’s obviously been working hard been really impressive so far this season

LewysGot2
30-09-2023, 07:05 AM
I remember the horsing we took at Ibrox early in his time at the club. It was his first game there and he looked completely lost. He was hooked early and rightly so. After that game I genuinely wondered what we'd signed.

It's been a fair time now since he convinced me otherwise. He's got the ability to keep ball when all else is mental around him. He's physically strong and he's been very consistent for a sustained period now.

That afternoon at Ibrox seems a distant memory now.

flash
30-09-2023, 07:06 AM
Let’s not kid ourselves on he’s been playing at this level and some of us just didn’t notice, Joe showed how good he could be one game then went missing the next 5, I’m delighted he’s managed to find consistency in his game he’s been outstanding probably since the split last season and really pushed on this season again, well done to the guy he’s obviously been working hard been really impressive so far this season

He was easily our best player last season too.

LewysGot2
30-09-2023, 07:07 AM

Absolutely

B.H.F.C
30-09-2023, 07:33 AM

I thought the contribution Nisbet made last season saved us from a real struggle and we would have ended up anywhere from 7th down to 12th without it.

Newell, for me, really upped his performance levels towards the backend of the season and has continued that in to this season. He’s playing at a totally different level week in, week out than he has in the rest of his time at Hibs IMO. He looks really hungry and I don’t see his levels dropping any time soon.

Since90+2
30-09-2023, 07:35 AM
Good player. One of the best midfielders in the league outside Celtic.

SChibs
30-09-2023, 07:38 AM
I think the better the team plays the better Newall plays/looks. Some midfielders need the players around him to be playing well for them to be at the top of their game because he needs players to move around/make space so he can make passes.

For a while Newall would get get ball look up and have nobody to pass to hence he would end up losing it or passing it backwards often. The stick wasnt always justified imo and was partly down to the tactics of previous managers.

Hibs4185
30-09-2023, 07:47 AM
So…..I’m was someone who criticised Newell and thought he was at the heart of the problems in our midfield and team in general.

No doubt on his day, he is great to watch and a great footballer.

The problem was, it was 1 game in 3 at best.

Now however, I’m happy to admit he has been one of the star performers and in a much improved and more confident team.

I must say I wasn’t a 100% LJ out man either until the very last game but after reading the Vente tactics interview and the vast improvement in the team, then I wonder how much LJ held us and Newell back.

worcesterhibby
30-09-2023, 10:13 AM

Yes but all those bonus points are recinded for using the word "thow-in" instead of "shy". If he'd said he had issues with Joe's Shan Shy's then he would have won a crackerjack pencil case !:greengrin

Malonga's Cat
30-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Joe is consistently excellent. Can tackle, pass, go by players with the ball and works hard. He loves the Hibs. Really don't understand those who moan about him these days. I accept he's not world class but he wouldn't be at Hibs if he was. No doubt in my mind, he's a player.

B.H.F.C
30-09-2023, 11:15 AM
Joe is consistently excellent. Can tackle, pass, go by players with the ball and works hard. He loves the Hibs. Really don't understand those who moan about him these days. I accept he's not world class but he wouldn't be at Hibs if he was. No doubt in my mind, he's a player.

I don’t think there is much moaning about Newell just now. There is pretty much total agreement that he is playing very, very well just now.

Stubbsy90+2
30-09-2023, 11:20 AM
I thought the contribution Nisbet made last season saved us from a real struggle and we would have ended up anywhere from 7th down to 12th without it.

Newell, for me, really upped his performance levels towards the backend of the season and has continued that in to this season. He’s playing at a totally different level week in, week out than he has in the rest of his time at Hibs IMO. He looks really hungry and I don’t see his levels dropping any time soon.

:agree:

There’ll be folk along to tell us he’s always played like this but to put it simply, he hasn’t, he hasn’t performed anywhere near what he has for the past 6 months or so for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

He’s been excellent for a good while now though.

Fergus52
30-09-2023, 12:09 PM
:agree:

There’ll be folk along to tell us he’s always played like this but to put it simply, he hasn’t, he hasn’t performed anywhere near what he has for the past 6 months or so for the vast majority of his time at Hibs.

He’s been excellent for a good while now though.

All about opinions, the last few months have definitely been his most consistent spell but I always thought his inconsistency was exaggerated quite a lot on here and made out to be a bigger problem that it actually was. Even when we were playing poorly he was still making plenty tackles and interceptions, always showing for the ball and rarely losing it.

He was hitting similar levels to his current from during our winning run in early autumn last season, and when we came third under jack Ross imo.

Eyrie
30-09-2023, 12:37 PM
A lot of fans formed their opinion about Newell when he first came here and was played out of position by Heckingbottom, so looked a poor player.

It's taken until now for them to accept there is sufficient evidence that he is actually a good player.

B.H.F.C
30-09-2023, 12:45 PM
A lot of fans formed their opinion about Newell when he first came here and was played out of position by Heckingbottom, so looked a poor player.

It's taken until now for them to accept there is sufficient evidence that he is actually a good player.

More simple than that IMO. There’s quite a number of people who simply think he’s playing better now than he ever has.

J-C
30-09-2023, 02:06 PM

But he wasn't, he came here after being played the majority of his time at Rotherham as a left side attacking midfielder, it was Newel himself who said he felt he played better through the middle, it's taken him a fair wee while to establish himself as a proper midfielder and a proper midfielder he is now.

LewysGot2
30-09-2023, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure why he got MotM today...didn't play badly but surely not MotM?

Jeggo beside him was more impactful IMHO...

Malonga's Cat
30-09-2023, 05:41 PM
I don’t think there is much moaning about Newell just now. There is pretty much total agreement that he is playing very, very well just now.

There's always someone moaning about Joe. Old boy along from me on Wed night was dishing it out something rotten. Give it 5 mins and someone will be along to prove me right I'm sure. I am glad folk are giving plaudits now though.

Criswell
30-09-2023, 10:40 PM
Maybe not outstanding today. but did a lot of things right. I think he is a player.

The Modfather
03-02-2024, 06:12 PM
With threads on Youan, Triantis & Levitt. Is it fair to talk about Newell as well? How many midfield combinations can he be part of that are dreadful, lose their battle and go into its shell at the first sign of adversary, but always able to play the “least of our problems” card?

MagicSwirlingShip
03-02-2024, 06:16 PM
With threads on Youan, Triantis & Levitt. Is it fair to talk about Newell as well? How many midfield combinations can he be part of that are dreadful, lose their battle and go into its shell at the first sign of adversary, but always able to play the “least of our problems” card?

Absolutely humpty today.

BoomtownHibees
03-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Always someone else’s fault when it comes to Newell. Another who would be nowhere near a good Hibs team

supermcginn
03-02-2024, 06:18 PM
Most overrated Hibs player ever.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2024, 06:19 PM
Joe Newell has captained us most weeks this season. That says it all about why there is such a complete lack of leadership in this side.

jeffers
03-02-2024, 06:19 PM
Nice guy, on his day (which isn’t anywhere near enough) excellent, but it’s a really sad reflection on who we have in our squad when he’s viewed as the standout candidate for captain.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2024, 06:21 PM

I'm sick of saying he's part of the problem, slows the game down with his first touch 99% of the time backwards.

Plays alongside the central defenders and plays it wide either way but rarely forward, with him on the ball the game becomes walking football, nowhere near urgent enough, but he does fight for the ball when we are defending and has nice hair.

Smartie
03-02-2024, 06:21 PM
Ever present in hopeless midfields over the past few years.

That he’s the least of our problems is the most damming indictment of the atrocious failure to fix the midfield problems.

Tyler Durden
03-02-2024, 06:22 PM

I’ve generally defended Newell over the years, but like Doidge, he’s been part of an awful 5 year period. Massive underachievement.

I’d be happy to see the back of him, Hanlon, Lewis, Marshall. Most of the team basically.

Maybe only thing we can salvage this season, is giving Moriah-Welsh, Amos and Marcondes a run in the hope they (first 2 anyway) can be part of a longer term solution.

Nicho87
03-02-2024, 06:23 PM
Summed up perfectly second half by doing the initial beating a man

Then thought he could just weave past another 2 in midfield and causes st Mirren counter

Another who’s time is probably close to being up

Jones28
03-02-2024, 06:23 PM
Roll Royce when we win, Vauxhall Corsa when we lose.

Today was a Corsa day, as are most days at the moment.

sean04
03-02-2024, 06:24 PM
Newell has been poor but the system isn't helping , picking the ball up far to deep. Can't influence a game on the edge of your own box

Steve20
03-02-2024, 06:24 PM
He’s very overrated by our support.

Never a player good enough for a team going for top 3 or win a cup. He’s just very limited and goes missing when the going gets tough.

Fratelli
03-02-2024, 06:26 PM
Was noticeable in the 1st half just how often he took the easy option and played back, rather than take the ball on the half turn and look for a pass forward.

yerauldda
03-02-2024, 06:28 PM
I’m a big Joe Newell fan but his form the last two months has been appalling. A large part of that is probably the imposter he has playing next to him though.

Brooster
03-02-2024, 06:49 PM
Non trying show pony.

Crab apple
03-02-2024, 06:53 PM
Newell looked good today compared to Levitt. And that's not meant as a compliment.

PH91
03-02-2024, 06:58 PM
Non trying show pony.

Nonsense. I can't defend his overall performance today but he can never be accused of not trying.

Smartie
03-02-2024, 07:03 PM
Was noticeable in the 1st half just how often he took the easy option and played back, rather than take the ball on the half turn and look for a pass forward.

This whole team is going to hinge on players in his position who have the ability and desire to do that imo.

Ozyhibby
03-02-2024, 07:04 PM
I’m a big Joe Newell fan but his form the last two months has been appalling. A large part of that is probably the imposter he has playing next to him though.

With Newell it’s always the fault of his playing partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
03-02-2024, 07:04 PM
Nonsense. I can't defend his overall performance today but he can never be accused of not trying.

Agree.

He was poor along with others, but you could see he was trying.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2024, 07:05 PM
Non trying show pony.

I've said he was a show pony years ago, still think it. I do think he tries, but we dont need his type of player, we dont need midfielders taking the ball in the middle of the two central defenfers.

Our central defenders should be doing what he does, and get him tae **** either off the park or further up it.

He's one of the main reasons we are so pedestrian its criminal that several managers cant see it.

And to compound that, we've brought in someone else to play alongside him who's even slower.

Shambles.

Brooster
03-02-2024, 07:19 PM

Was he driving the team on? Was he bursting a gut? He was horrific and has been for months.

IberianHibernian
03-02-2024, 07:23 PM
In his first year or so with us very few Hibs fans were impressed by him . As general standard of squad has dropped , he has gained more fans but I`m far from convinced he`s what we need .
Doesn`t seem to bring the best out of other players in the team and too many petty , unnecessary fouls . Not saying it`ll be easy to find someone better cause it won`t be but if we`re to improve next season we need better in midfield . Maybe not more talented but someone who works better with rest of the team .

Fergus52
03-02-2024, 07:26 PM
Expect to take pelters for this but honestly thought he was least of our problems today.

In the first half especially looked like our only player that cared, put in a few excellent tackles and tried to drive forward and make things happen when space opened up a couple of times

B.H.F.C
03-02-2024, 07:26 PM
I'm sick of saying he's part of the problem, slows the game down with his first touch 99% of the time backwards.

Plays alongside the central defenders and plays it wide either way but rarely forward, with him on the ball the game becomes walking football, nowhere near urgent enough, but he does fight for the ball when we are defending and has nice hair.

He does that dropping in to get the ball thing to try and give the impression that he’s trying to get on it and make things happen. When, in actual fact, he’s not got the balls to go and do it where it actually matters.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-02-2024, 07:27 PM
I actually thought he was our best player today. I might be on my own here 😂

TheCabbage
03-02-2024, 07:37 PM
I thought he should have been binned when done for drink driving.
Good on his day (but then who isn’t and the days are few and far between this season) but the constant denominator in poor midfields, no matter the system

percy veer
03-02-2024, 07:40 PM
Brutal today brutal last week until he scored, every pass backwards sane as Levitt they hide during games and pass the buck defenders to create something

Boyle89
03-02-2024, 07:45 PM
I'm not a fan of newell. He gives away silly fouls every game, the first goal being a prime example of that. He doesn't drive forward nearly as much as he could or rather should. All too often he slows the play down or just passes it backwards when he could turn and play forwards. It's been said earlier thats he's overrated by our support and this is true. Only seems to play well when we are winning or in control of a game.

VoltaireHibs
03-02-2024, 07:54 PM
I'm not a fan of newell. He gives away silly fouls every game, the first goal being a prime example of that. He doesn't drive forward nearly as much as he could or rather should. All too often he slows the play down or just passes it backwards when he could turn and play forwards. It's been said earlier thats he's overrated by our support and this is true. Only seems to play well when we are winning or in control of a game.

Newell has lots to offer a good midfield, but he shouldn't be the fulcrum of a midfield. I really like Joe, think he has good ball winning skills, but he needs someone close to give the ball to who WILL drive on. That isn't Newell's natural game. I'd have him as a defensive mid - regain, control, recycle. One of the few guys that loves pulling on a Hibs jersey.

McD
03-02-2024, 08:25 PM
JN can gtf as far as I’m concerned, and take more than a few of his teammates with him.

Thought he’d turned a corner with the Luzerne matches, but he’s regressed back to being as pathetic as ever. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out

Logie Green
03-02-2024, 08:26 PM
It’s a measure of where we are that he’s the current captain.

We’ve had dozens of worse players than him but he simply doesn’t do enough. He usually takes the safe option when he gets the ball, he couldn’t tackle a fish supper and hardly scores or creates any goals.

It would be unfair to blame all our recent managerial failures solely on him but it’s telling that’s he’s one of the common denominators.

hibsbollah
03-02-2024, 08:28 PM
Newell has lots to offer a good midfield, but he shouldn't be the fulcrum of a midfield. I really like Joe, think he has good ball winning skills, but he needs someone close to give the ball to who WILL drive on. That isn't Newell's natural game. I'd have him as a defensive mid - regain, control, recycle. One of the few guys that loves pulling on a Hibs jersey.

Good post. He’d be one of the few players id keep from the current team.

1875Sean
03-02-2024, 08:28 PM
New Hanlon/Stevenson being the scapegoat, a lot of other issues rather than Newell being the problem

J-C
03-02-2024, 08:29 PM

One of far too many of those days unfortunately.

Anthony Soprano
03-02-2024, 08:35 PM
I don’t think a team where newell is our best midfielder, (and he is by some distance) is ever going to be good enough for where we want to be.

Having said that, he was our best performer, albeit in a horrible team and is absolutely the least of our worries. Levitt is much worse and both have been hung out to dry with monty’s ***** formation and tactics.

Bobby's Cinema
03-02-2024, 08:36 PM
Expect to take pelters for this but honestly thought he was least of our problems today.

In the first half especially looked like our only player that cared, put in a few excellent tackles and tried to drive forward and make things happen when space opened up a couple of times
I agree.

Anthony Soprano
03-02-2024, 08:38 PM

Agree. He needs a mcginn/docherty/Allan Campbell type with pace, energy and drive. Him and levitt are far too similar and playing them both in a 2 in the centre is asking for trouble.

Hiber-nation
04-02-2024, 09:11 AM
He only seems to play well when we've got a bit of momentum and the crowd is behind us. He as good as admitted that in an interview after the Luzern game. I agree the formation and having such a chicken hearted partner does him no favours though.

sean
04-02-2024, 09:26 AM
He’s the least of our worries.

h1bs4life
04-02-2024, 09:29 AM
Newell is everything that is wrong with Hibs , came in with Heckingbottom and couldn’t get a game to start with .
Gives away stupid fouls usually ends up being booked . Has had contract after contract .
Gets sent off in a Scottish Cup semi final against our biggest rivals for 2 bookings and then Maloney / him say he doesn’t have to apologise to the fans
Now he is our captain , he would be lucky to get in any of the bottom 6 teams in the top flight.
One of the 1st out the door for me.

Greensunshine
04-02-2024, 09:29 AM

We need better than Newell.

Maybe we should forget about spending 3/4 million quid on infrastructure and maybe get a wee bit quality on the park before they chase anymore supporters away.

sean
04-02-2024, 09:34 AM
We need better than Newell.

Maybe we should forget about spending 3/4 million quid on infrastructure and maybe get a wee bit quality on the park before they chase anymore supporters away.

Better than newell?

We need better in a number of areas before we look at him in my opinion.

keep the faith
04-02-2024, 10:05 AM
Better than newell?

Absolutely. A team full of sub standard players, played out of position in a static formation and some are going for Newell?? Bonkers.

He is our one guy who cares, currently being thrown under the bus in a DCM position with rigid instructions. Under Johnson he was one of the best players in the league.

Seems like the mess our board have created right now is a green light for our long term Newell haters.

Mutu
04-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Newell was our best player yesterday. Least of our problems.

sean
04-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Absolutely. A team full of sub standard players, played out of position in a static formation and some are going for Newell?? Bonkers.

He is our one guy who cares, currently being thrown under the bus in a DCM position with rigid instructions. Under Johnson he was one of the best players in the league.

Seems like the mess our board have created right now is a green light for our long term Newell haters.

If we are buying better than newell and I see those types of performances every week that are way better than newell we will have certainly kicked on as a club.

Until then I’d rather address way more pressing areas of the pitch.

NC1875
04-02-2024, 10:13 AM
Imagine having to play against an opposition midfield 3 with Dylan Levitt every week.

I don’t think Newells as good as some people think he is but we have far bigger issues than him just now.

EdinMike
04-02-2024, 10:20 AM

Yup…

Greensunshine
04-02-2024, 10:21 AM
Better than newell?

I wouldn’t argue with that. I was giving my opinion on his attributes or lack of. I always think we can aim for a better standard and if he’s our best player then we need to bring in better players

Keyser Sauzee
04-02-2024, 04:59 PM
When Monty is most likely sacked then Newell will have seen 5 managers leave us. People are questioning Kensall and saying he should go based on 3 failed managers under his watch, I’d argue Newell has to go aswell then using a similar logic. He may well be a lovely guy and has had some excellent performances but he’s also had far more average to non existent performances. We need players to show up now that going is getting tough (yet again) and I have little faith in him to do so.

easty
04-02-2024, 05:00 PM
When Monty is most likely sacked then Newell will have seen 5 managers leave us. People are questioning Kensall and saying he should go based on 3 failed managers under his watch, I’d argue Newell has to go aswell then using a similar logic. He may well be a lovely guy and has had some excellent performances but he’s also had far more average to non existent performances. We need players to show up now that going is getting tough (yet again) and I have little faith in him to do so.

That’s just ***** logic though

Libby Hibby
04-02-2024, 05:02 PM

A Corsa with no engine or tyres

ancient hibee
04-02-2024, 05:03 PM

Surely our biggest problem if the best of our players has zero positive influence on a game.

eastmainsmsh
04-02-2024, 05:07 PM
No doubting Joes ability he is quality when on his game as are likes of Vente Youan Boyle who have been playing well below usual standards which is concerning

B.H.F.C
04-02-2024, 05:13 PM

Newell was missing and/or ineffective for large parts of Johnson’s time here. Just as he has been under various managers. Capable of being very good on his day. When he’s not, it’s always someone else’s fault though.

Aldo
04-02-2024, 05:35 PM

Paul Hanlon as Captain plays poorly and gets crucified on here.

Newell as Captain plays just as bad and it’s ok because he cares.

Sorry but he’s a professional football player and for all his supposed ability he just doesn’t do enough. He doesn’t influence games enough.

I want to see the Newell we had against Luzern. That’s not too much to ask is it. Drive and lead the team forward as captain.

If you think Newell is being thrown under the bus then so be it. I do know this though. I expect a helluva lot more from my Captain and supposed better players than what’s been on show recently.

Since452
04-02-2024, 05:36 PM
Almost every player has regressed under this manager. Including Joe. Thought he had a terrific season last season.

McD
04-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Paul Hanlon as Captain plays poorly and gets crucified on here.

Newell as Captain plays just as bad and it’s ok because he cares.

Sorry but he’s a professional football player and for all his supposed ability he just doesn’t do enough. He doesn’t influence games enough.

I want to see the Newell we had against Luzern. That’s not too much to ask is it. Drive and lead the team forward as captain.

If you think Newell is being thrown under the bus then so be it. I do know this though. I expect a helluva lot more from my Captain and supposed better players than what’s been on show recently.

Yep, Hanlon, the Hibs fan, at his boyhood club, has made hundreds of appearances, never gets any leeway even though I bet he cares a damn sight more than JN.

Newell is Teflon for some. He never takes the game by the scruff of the neck, never leads, never drives us forward, never inspires. That’s our captain. Someone who is regularly described on here as one of the best in the league, but has so little influence on a match, hardly any match, rarely get a telling pass or goal saving tackle. Levitt is getting the blame for him not being at it at the moment, but this isn’t new for him, it’s the norm. Midfield partners, formations, his performances dont change, but it’s never his fault, there’s always an excuse for him. That he cares is a poor deflection, there’s thousands in the stands who care a lot more and would still play crap. Time to move on from JN.

Forza Fred
04-02-2024, 09:35 PM

Probably true.

We could put up a thread for each individual player and I reckon there would be posts on every one saying they were not good enough and should be replaced.

That’s fine, and I would love every player to be replaced by a better one, but even with Foley’s investment we can’t do it all at once.

There are other glaring problems much more worthy of attention than Newell.

Eg…..how long have we been crying out for a couple of Central defenders?

Surely hasn’t escaped everyone’s attention that our current two are loanees who will depart at season’s end…….and we start looking again.

I’d be shouting for action on that and asking why priority wasn’t given to that glaring deficiency before I’d be beating the drums about Newell.

KWJ
04-02-2024, 09:51 PM
Thought he did a great job, much better than NM, in his post match interview. Could tell he was furious and had to hold in from throwing individuals under the bus.

Hibeesdaft16
05-02-2024, 12:47 AM

He's central to our team and central to our worries.

Hibeesdaft16
05-02-2024, 12:50 AM
Thought he did a great job, much better than NM, in his post match interview. Could tell he was furious and had to hold in from throwing individuals under the bus.

In what way possibly did he do a great job yesterday? :confused:

sean
05-02-2024, 06:02 AM
He's central to our team and central to our worries.

Im not suggesting you but I feel folk have a habit of criticising our most consistent players rather than the support cast.

Newell over the course of a season is one our most proven performers, he's maybe not John mcginn but he's one of our best players over the last 24 months. he's not 9/10 every week and we are not getting a Luzern performance every week as he wouldn't be here long if he really was that good consistently.

I think he's a decent player who with the right person beside him is a very good player for our level.

Was he pish on Saturday, yes he was pish but so was everyone else. I also thought the week before at Killie he was excellent especially second half.

I think if you asked any players from other clubs about our best players newell would be in the conversation nearly all the time.

theonlywayisup
05-02-2024, 06:20 AM
Newell is everything that is wrong with Hibs , came in with Heckingbottom and couldn’t get a game to start with .
Gives away stupid fouls usually ends up being booked . Has had contract after contract .
Gets sent off in a Scottish Cup semi final against our biggest rivals for 2 bookings and then Maloney / him say he doesn’t have to apologise to the fans
Now he is our captain , he would be lucky to get in any of the bottom 6 teams in the top flight.
One of the 1st out the door for me.

I've been saying this for a while now. The fact that he is our best player is a sad statement to make.

His first thought appears to be a sideways/backwards pass, which is frustrating as we can all see how effective he is when he does burst forward. His problem of course is that all his touches are with his left foot, which makes him a predictable player to defend against. Captain material, definitely not.

Yes, least of our problems but we need to get rid of him next season.

The Modfather
05-02-2024, 06:28 AM
Im not suggesting you but I feel folk have a habit of criticising our most consistent players rather than the support cast.

Newell over the course of a season is one our most proven performers, he's maybe not John mcginn but he's one of our best players over the last 24 months. he's not 9/10 every week and we are not getting a Luzern performance every week as he wouldn't be here long if he really was that good consistently.

I think he's a decent player who with the right person beside him is a very good player for our level.

Was he pish on Saturday, yes he was pish but so was everyone else. I also thought the week before at Killie he was excellent especially second half.

I think if you asked any players from other clubs about our best players newell would be in the conversation nearly all the time.

Newell has been here 5 years and we’re still talking about finding the right player beside him. Maybe that player he needs doesn’t exist on our budget, or maybe he actual makes those beside him poorer. I’m sure Levit, JDH, Campbell etc would also love to have the right player beside them. He gets excuses made for him others aren’t lucky enough to be afforded IMO.

His best season was beside Gogic in a two, where we essentially gave up the midfield for gains elsewhere.

GreenCastle
05-02-2024, 06:38 AM
100% agree - nice guy but not captain material and a big problem with our midfield and why we are so soft.

We have to find a new captain at the end of the season and an improved player. Newell fine for squad player but as a constant starter in a 2 player midfield sorry but it’s not working.

The engine room of the team and it’s not mobile enough and doesn’t make enough tackles.

Always go back to the fact he was signed as a winger and only last few years changed to learn how to play central midfield.

sean
05-02-2024, 06:38 AM
Newell has been here 5 years and we’re still talking about finding the right player beside him. Maybe that player he needs doesn’t exist on our budget, or maybe he actual makes those beside him poorer. I’m sure Levit, JDH, Campbell etc would also love to have the right player beside them. He gets excuses made for him others aren’t lucky enough to be afforded IMO.

His best season was beside Gogic in a two, where we essentially gave up the midfield for gains elsewhere.

Fair point, I just think he's one of our most consistent performers on a weekly basis. Do I think he's John Mcginn levels no but he's not a major problem in this current team quite the opposite to me.

If we can get better on Foleys new money but all means lets do it!

Since452
05-02-2024, 06:40 AM
Joe was our player of the season last season under a better manager.

MikeyS
05-02-2024, 06:48 AM

This is going to go on his headstone, never seen the phrase used so often and for the same player!

Aldo
05-02-2024, 07:04 AM
Almost every player has regressed under this manager. Including Joe. Thought he had a terrific season last season.

Joe was our player of the season last season under a better manager.

Think we all know you didn’t and still don’t want NM as manager but just keep banging that drum at every opportunity.

So you think he should be devoid of criticism because he was terrific last season?

Is it wrong of me to ask the Captain to try and drive the team forward and lead by example? We all know what’s he’s capable of but doesn’t do it often enough.

hibsbollah
05-02-2024, 07:14 AM
Fair point, I just think he's one of our most consistent performers on a weekly basis. Do I think he's John Mcginn levels no but he's not a major problem in this current team quite the opposite to me.

If we can get better on Foleys new money but all means lets do it!

He undoubtedly is. Just get behind the boys ffs :grr:

Except if its Levitt.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2024, 07:57 AM
Think we all know you didn’t and still don’t want NM as manager but just keep banging that drum at every opportunity.

So you think he should be devoid of criticism because he was terrific last season?

Is it wrong of me to ask the Captain to try and drive the team forward and lead by example? We all know what’s he’s capable of but doesn’t do it often enough.

It still, also, ignores the long periods last season where the team was struggling and Newell was totally ineffective. He finished last season really well and started this one the same but the old habits have gradually returned.

Since452
05-02-2024, 08:00 AM

It's not wrong of you. I think you have a point. I just feel he's playing within himself just now. Brilliant goal at Killie aside.

Aldo
05-02-2024, 08:17 AM
It's not wrong of you. I think you have a point. I just feel he's playing within himself just now. Brilliant goal at Killie aside.

He shouldn’t be though. He needs to step up and big time as does everyone else.

Bushwoof
05-02-2024, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure what game some of you guys were watching? Did you leave at 3-0? Joe was about the only player trying to drive us forward. Do you want him to win the game all by himself? Because to be fair he tried to do that too on a couple of occasions.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 08:43 AM
I think Newell is one of our better players and I don't have that much of a worry about him in the grand scheme of things as it stands. However if there was someone better out there in our budget etc (which there will be) then I've no issue with replacing him.

The argument that he's 'seen off' X amount of managers is quite a lazy one for me as it just looks for some correlation between failures. The same whenever Paul and Lewy get brought up but yet no one ever looks at how Lewy is the one common thread in our last 3 trophy wins. It doesn't really explain anything on its own so it's pointless really saying it.

Watching his post match interview at the weekend and I seen a guy who looks like he's either had it out with some of his teammates or was planning to. He said all the things I wanted to hear a captain say after such a rotten performance and I hope he's currently in HTC now saying his piece to some of those lads who were clearly phoning it in on Saturday because even if we do sack the manager in the next week or two the likes of Elie, Jair, and Levitt for example cannot be allowed to be as passive and piss poor as they have been before Saturday even came about.

The Modfather
05-02-2024, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure what game some of you guys were watching? Did you leave at 3-0? Joe was about the only player trying to drive us forward. Do you want him to win the game all by himself? Because to be fair he tried to do that too on a couple of occasions.

It’s easier to step up once the game is lost and the other team ease off and/or sit off content with what they’ve got. Newell went into his shell in the first half like everyone else. Not much use trying to play when the game is long since lost.

500miles
05-02-2024, 09:20 AM
It’s easier to step up once the game is lost and the other team ease off and/or sit off content with what they’ve got. Newell went into his shell in the first half like everyone else. Not much use trying to play when the game is long since lost.

That's not true. He was chasing down players from all four corners of our half at one point. His problem was he was on his own.

Bushwoof
05-02-2024, 09:21 AM
And what about when he injured himself winning the ball in what was at best a 50-50? Not the actions of a Levitt, I'd suggest.

flash
05-02-2024, 09:23 AM
He is far from perfect but he was basically trying to stop St Mirrens midfield on his own in the first half.

To start Levitt, Emiliano, Youan and Jair all at once is criminal and should never happen again.

The Modfather
05-02-2024, 09:23 AM
That's not true. He was chasing down players from all four corners of our half at one point. His problem was he was on his own.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. First half I didn’t think anyone got pass marks or that anyones performance stood out from there teammates.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 09:26 AM
He is far from perfect but he was basically trying to stop St Mirrens midfield on his own in the first half.

To start Levitt, Emiliano, Youan and Jair all at once is criminal and should never happen again.

I agree whole heartedly with your last line. It sounds depressing but going forward until the summer we need to start playing the less flashy guys like Cadden etc to try and create something resembling a solid, tighter team.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2024, 10:03 AM
I agree whole heartedly with your last line. It sounds depressing but going forward until the summer we need to start playing the less flashy guys like Cadden etc to try and create something resembling a solid, tighter team.

I don’t think it’s depressing, it would be sensible.

We’re determined to have a team full of footballers, it doesn’t work.

When our form picked up at the backend of last season, we had Cadden playing on the right of midfield with Egan-Riley behind him. Jeggo came in to the middle of the park and we basically had runners in there. But it gave a better balance and meant you could get away with someone like Youan not running back the way. He was able to do what he was good at and you knew you had a goalscorer up front in Nisbet.

The midfield we had out on Saturday was the most powderpuff midfield you’ll ever see in your life. With a bunch of young laddies behind them it was an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Centre Hawf
05-02-2024, 10:13 AM

When our form picked up at the backend of last season, we had Cadden playing on the right of midfield with Egan-Riley behind him. Jeggo came in to the middle of the park and we basically had runners in there. But it gave a better balance and meant you could get away with someone like Youan not running back the way. He was able to do what he was good at and you knew you had a goalscorer up front in Nisbet.

The midfield we had out on Saturday was the most powderpuff midfield you’ll ever see in your life. With a bunch of young laddies behind them it was an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Totally agree. I think you're right that we've tried to sign too many youtube footballers for lack of a better term. I still actually like Elie as a footballer, but he needs totally carried and cannot be trusted to play in a wider midfield role and his attitude recently has looked embarrassing.

Levitt has proven that he has zero ability to defend and cover properly at this level and should be no where near a midfield 2 or playing as a deeper player in a 3 for us again.

If I could pick the formation for now to the end of the season is I'd go 3-5-2 and have a combination of Newell/Amos/Welsh with Emiliano in a Scott Allan type role where he goes up and links with ALF/Elie and Vente with Cadden and Obita providing the width and whatever combination of three centre halves we can muster to defend the 6 yard box.

VoltaireHibs
05-02-2024, 11:13 AM

He's basically been doing that all season, a one man midfield. It's a criminal use of his talents. The guy loves it at Hibs, never lacks effort and is doing about three different jobs in that midfield. Levitt is a waste of a jersey, Youan is a showpony that doesn't track back, Jair is hit and miss and not really experienced enough to know when to go and when to stay. That leaves Joe as disruptor and creator and having to cover acres of space every week, and every team in the league knows it. It's completely unfair on him, no wonder he looks knackered most of the time. If I was emptying players then Joe would be last on my list to go, and I include Boyle in that.

I wonder if folk remember the games when he's not playing? He's the only person in our team that looks like he really knows what he's doing, he may not be the greatest, but he's the best player we have right now.

Key West
05-02-2024, 11:56 AM
Joe Newell sums it up, if he's seen as one of our better players then we've a long way to go to as regards having a decent team.

Since452
05-02-2024, 12:08 PM

Aye. Powderpuff. He won't though. They'll all start on Wednesday.

Stubbsy90+2
05-02-2024, 12:15 PM

I don’t think they will.

I think Levitt and Youan will drop out, possibly Jair as well.

flash
05-02-2024, 12:19 PM

Would be amazed if they all do. In fact I reckon only Emiliano will out of those four.

sean
05-02-2024, 01:06 PM

very well put and 100% accurate.

Its a simple league that doesn't need over elaborate ideas on how football should be played.

We've way way way too many football players on the pitch at one time. Jeggo may not have been " hibs class" but he was a simple effective player that performed a decent role in the side.

For all Youan and Tavares tear my hair out playing both of them wide left and wide right in the SPFL is asking for trouble. Yes Youans effort levels weren't great on Saturday but he really isn't a right midfielder he's an off the cuff forward or winger who can sparkle with moments of brilliance his game isn't built on running up and down the touchline biting at heels, winning second balls and being a pest.

I keep saying this to every hibs fan I meet that we have good players, the squad may be unbalanced but we have a good squad that's performing way below par. The players need to take a look at themselves but the set up is all wrong hence why we end up having threads about ( for me) one our most consistent performers.

Daydreamer
05-02-2024, 02:53 PM

CORRECT. Someone speaks sense !!!

McGruber
05-02-2024, 03:19 PM

This is exactly right. Our best 11 football players aren't ever going to make up our best team. The balance is way off trying to shoehorn all the flair players in the same team, it leaves us looking powder-puff and over run. We need the likes of a Gogic, Bartley even a version of a Jeggo type. It's tough to leave out good players but we need a little less skill and a little more action (probably not the best way to put it but the Elvis song just popped in my head mid type)

The Modfather
07-02-2024, 09:10 PM

Credit where it’s due. One of his best games tonight. He was a proper all action midfielder, like his Luzern performance, we don’t see the Newell of tonight as often as we should or need.

Vault Boy
07-02-2024, 09:17 PM
Newell is a superb midfielder at our level. He proved that again tonight. He not only earns his spot in the starting XI, but he has earned the captain’s armband over the years here.

Jones28
07-02-2024, 09:19 PM
He was awesome tonight. He was everywhere defensively and played some great stuff going forward.

His ball for Millers chance was fantastic.

Since452
07-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Outstanding tonight.

bordergreen
07-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Outstanding tonight.

Thought he was great.

Vault Boy
07-02-2024, 09:21 PM
He was awesome tonight. He was everywhere defensively and played some great stuff going forward.

His ball for Millers chance was fantastic.

That ball was absolutely stunning. As was Obita’s cross in the first half.

Green Reaper
07-02-2024, 09:22 PM
I think having MW in there helped Joe to show us how good he can be

beensaidbefore
07-02-2024, 09:23 PM
Credit where it’s due. One of his best games tonight. He was a proper all action midfielder, like his Luzern performance, we don’t see the Newell of tonight as often as we should or need.

Good post

He was brilliant tonight

hibee_girl
07-02-2024, 09:26 PM
He was outstanding tonight, probably one of his best games for us.

Greencore
07-02-2024, 09:27 PM
What a game he had.

Tyler Durden
07-02-2024, 09:28 PM
To be incredibly harsh, he’s let himself down with the rash challenge for the penalty. He does need to cut that out of his game

The Modfather
07-02-2024, 09:30 PM
To be incredibly harsh, he’s let himself down with the rash challenge for the penalty. He does need to cut that out of his game

It wasn’t rash IMO, was just last gasp desperation against a very good player. Was definitely a penalty but wouldn’t overly blame Newell for the challenge in this instance.

Tommy75
07-02-2024, 09:31 PM

Yes, one of his better games for us but undoes all his good work with that lunge. Should have slid and tried to block the shot instead of going in to the player.

blackpoolhibs
07-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Tonight showed us why some folk want rid and some folk think he's brilliant. In that first half he sat on the back 4 and slowed the game down to a snails pace.

The 2nd half he tackled, took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove the team forward and put in some lovely balls.

Man of the match by a mile with that 2nd half performance, that is what we all want to see and the moaning would stop, but i've said this so many times over the years and he rarely does.

Jones28
07-02-2024, 09:32 PM

That is really really harsh. Not sure I agree unless I’m being incredibly cynical.

Shrekko
07-02-2024, 09:37 PM
Tonight showed us why some folk want rid and some folk think he's brilliant. In that first half he sat on the back 4 and slowed the game down to a snails pace.

The 2nd half he tackled, took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove the team forward and put in some lovely balls.

Man of the match by a mile with that 2nd half performance, that is what we all want to see and the moaning would stop, but i've said this so many times over the years and he rarely does.

'Rarely'?

That's just not true.

The one's who 'want rid' are clueless.

Donegal Hibby
07-02-2024, 09:39 PM
Best player on the park .

Onion
07-02-2024, 09:39 PM
Best player on the park, bar none. Outstanding performance.

keep the faith
07-02-2024, 09:43 PM

There is also an argument that certain posters leap on the first game when he isn't our best player and it fuels this ridiculous myth that he should be moved on.

Joe's commitment and drive can't be doubted and play him in the right position and he is not just our best player,but one of the leagues best players. We are lucky to have him.

LewysGot2
07-02-2024, 09:46 PM
Between him and M-Welsh for MotM for me.

blackpoolhibs
07-02-2024, 09:53 PM
There is also an argument that certain posters leap on the first game when he isn't our best player and it fuels this ridiculous myth that he should be moved on.

Joe's commitment and drive can't be doubted and play him in the right position and he is not just our best player,but one of the leagues best players. We are lucky to have him.

Thats what i do doubt him in, he's commited and has all the ability in the world on the ball, but tonight he did drive with the ball and looked up at times and put some teriffic balls in, in fact there were times he drove through the middle of the park brushing players off as if they were not there.

That is the Joe Newell we want to see but rarely do, we get a lot more of the Joe Newell who sits alongside the back 4 slowing the ball down and passing it sideways and backwards.

He always battles back and helps.

Play like he did in the 2nd half tonight and nobody would question him ever, although saying that, at last the manager played 3 in the middle tonight and gave him some ssupport which clearly helped him and the team rather than the ususal 4-2-2 with the wide men dissapearing from site.

Well done Joe, all i ask is you play more like the 2nd half than the 1st half and nobody will moan.

McD
07-02-2024, 10:02 PM

First half I felt he was too deep, often standing between the centre backs, but as the game progressed he moved further up the pitch, and began to become involved more. Second half he was excellent, defensively and in attack. I’ve given him plenty of criticism, so it’s only right that I give him the recognition of a match well played. Best I’ve seen him play since Luzerne, where he was outstanding.

I also think when Amos came on, the trio of Moriah-Welsh, Amos and Newell dovetailed really well together, and Newell flourished. Would like to see more of those 3 in there together, even though Levitt scored, he was woeful right up to that point, and not much better afterwards. I think it says a lot that against Celtics midfield, including the media anointed wonder O’reilly, the 2 midfielders who stood out and made a difference were Newell and Moriah-Welsh

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2024, 10:03 PM
Thats what i do doubt him in, he's commited and has all the ability in the world on the ball, but tonight he did drive with the ball and looked up at times and put some teriffic balls in, in fact there were times he drove through the middle of the park brushing players off as if they were not there.

That is the Joe Newell we want to see but rarely do, we get a lot more of the Joe Newell who sits alongside the back 4 slowing the ball down and passing it sideways and backwards.

He always battles back and helps.

Play like he did in the 2nd half tonight and nobody would question him ever, although saying that, at last the manager played 3 in the middle tonight and gave him some ssupport which clearly helped him and the team rather than the ususal 4-2-2 with the wide men dissapearing from site.

Well done Joe, all i ask is you play more like the 2nd half than the 1st half and nobody will moan.

Saying we rarely get that version of Newell isn't true. I'd also say the people who say we get that Newell more often than not are wrong. Newell is a player that seems to get extreme reactions. its either 'hes not good enough, doesnt try, hides' or 'good game, shame we rarely see that'.

Newell for the most part is a very good player for Hibs' level. He's easily good enough for this league and gets a game for most in the league. He, like pretty much every player, cannot play at 100% of their ability every week. He tries, and thats something i'll argue until im blue in the face, but he doesn't always succeed. Realistically Newell is a good, pretty consistent player for this level who can be exceptional on his day, it's just some fans expect that from him every week and imo that isn't fair. Very few, if ever can play at their absolute peak every week. It's part of being human.

Joe is a terrific footballer and a great player to have. Could he be more consistent? Probably, but he's one of if not the last player I'd get rid of from that squad currently.

Eyrie
07-02-2024, 10:08 PM
As I've said before, Newell is a good player who can be part of a good midfield but is not someone who can make a midfield good.

Playing in a three helped tonight as did having Moriah-Welsh to help him. Add Marcondes and that is a very good trio with Amos as another option.

Fergus52
07-02-2024, 10:09 PM
He made 3 excellent tackles, the ones on idah and kyogo stopped almost certain goals imo.

Hopefully he can keep up those performance levels the rest of the season

B.H.F.C
07-02-2024, 10:38 PM
As I've said before, Newell is a good player who can be part of a good midfield but is not someone who can make a midfield good.

Playing in a three helped tonight as did having Moriah-Welsh to help him. Add Marcondes and that is a very good trio with Amos as another option.

Moriah-Welsh was the one who set the tone for us after a tentative start (from everyone). That and Lewis Miller putting McGregor up in the air. Simple things but it got the crowd up and the rest of the team followed. Newell then showed much better quality in the second half.

Hibees1973
07-02-2024, 10:45 PM
Best player at the club. No question.

gaz1875
07-02-2024, 10:48 PM
Really good performance and very very unlucky with the penalty.

Hibeesdaft16
07-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Best player at the club. No question.

No he isn't.

VoltaireHibs
07-02-2024, 10:53 PM
No he isn't.

Who's better?

Hibeesdaft16
07-02-2024, 10:57 PM
Who's better?

Marcondes. There's one.

Percy Vere
07-02-2024, 10:58 PM
Yes, one of his better games for us but undoes all his good work with that lunge. Should have slid and tried to block the shot instead of going in to the player.

He was outstanding. Mom in my opinion.
Not "one of his better games"
And it's so easy to say what he should have done.
So easy to be critical

VoltaireHibs
07-02-2024, 10:59 PM
Marcondes. There's one.

Haha, he may well be, but let's wait and see eh? Joe has carried that midfield on his back all season.

BILLYHIBS
07-02-2024, 10:59 PM
Totally outstanding tonight and I am not his biggest fan

Especially liked the one where the ball fell to Kyogo in the box and he was already planning his goal celebration and Joe just continued his run and effortlessly nicked the ball away from him

Unlucky with the penalty looked as though he tried to pull out of it at the last minute

Celtic were lucky they look gash

Still a lot of football to be played

Hopefully we can carry on tonight to Inverness

Hibeesdaft16
07-02-2024, 11:02 PM
Haha, he may well be, but let's wait and see eh? Joe has carried that midfield on his back all season.

He's not done the best job at that though tbf. He is very good player mind you, played correctly he should be gold. Lets hope he and the whole team kick on from tonight and build the fragile confidence up.

VoltaireHibs
07-02-2024, 11:04 PM
He's not done the best job at that though tbf. He is very good player mind you, played correctly he should be gold. Lets hope he and the whole team kick on from tonight and build the fragile confidence up.

No one could have done the job he was being asked to do. But yip, hopefully we have a better structure now and, as you say, we kick on. 👍

Hibeesdaft16
07-02-2024, 11:06 PM
No one could have done the job he was being asked to do. But yip, hopefully we have a better structure now and, as you say, we kick on. 👍

Yeah I agree mate and understand my post could have been criticism of him when it wasn't meant to me.

:aok:

Tommy75
07-02-2024, 11:26 PM
He was outstanding. Mom in my opinion.
Not "one of his better games"
And it's so easy to say what he should have done.
So easy to be critical

Fair enough I thought he was very good but probably wouldn't go as far as outstanding.

500miles
07-02-2024, 11:46 PM
Mad how good he is when he isn't single handedly covering the whole midfield.

I swear to god we could send him out 1 v 11 against prime Barca and the would be some folk complaining that he was hiding and didn't influence the game enough.

Hibeesdaft16
08-02-2024, 12:03 AM

I swear to god we could send him out 1 v 11 against prime Barca and the would be some folk complaining that he was hiding and didn't influence the game enough.

Nobody has complained about his performance tonight at all yet alone prime Barca :confused:

J-C
08-02-2024, 05:48 AM
Very good performance from Newell, we need that more regularly, he at least showed the attitude needed at the club so lets hope he can keep up that level and lead from the front.

tonyrougier123
08-02-2024, 06:14 AM
Still canny believe how good newell was last night,him and moriah welsh covered the midfield superbly. But Joe was a man possessed last night,breaking up play stopping shots getting off last ditch tackles got forward. Superb Joe. And that’s despite the unfortunate niggle at the end for pen decision.

Winston Ingram
08-02-2024, 06:18 AM
He was brilliant tonight.

The Modfather
08-02-2024, 06:48 AM

Playing him in a 3 isn’t the silver bullet to seeing him play like he did last night. There’s a reason why a midfield of Newell, JDH & Campbell still gives us nightmares.

The last two games sums up his time here and why he divides the support so much IMO.

hibsbollah
08-02-2024, 07:29 AM
Im sick of the ‘wish he would do that more regularly’ thing. Players that dont have peaks and troughs in form go on to top leagues and earn 50grand a week.

Hes here for a reason. And hes the best player at the club imo.

Chipper1875
08-02-2024, 07:38 AM
Im sick of the ‘wish he would do that more regularly’ thing. Players that dont have peaks and troughs in form go on to top leagues and earn 50grand a week.

Yip and the help he got from moriah-Welsh helped as he hasn’t been getting any from levitt. Once Amos gets fully match fit , we will have a very good midfield at our level

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2024, 07:44 AM

He proved last night he can be one of the best midfielders in the league, it's only natural to want him to replicate that 2nd half performance more regularly.

I too am sick of saying i wish he'd do it more regularly, and i too am sick of watching him slow the game down, sit too deep and look for the sideways pass or the easy option, as last night proved he's better than that, much better than that, and better than that on what, £4-5k a week?

hibsbollah
08-02-2024, 07:53 AM
He proved last night he can be one of the best midfielders in the league, it's only natural to want him to replicate that 2nd half performance more regularly.

I too am sick of saying i wish he'd do it more regularly, and i too am sick of watching him slow the game down, sit too deep and look for the sideways pass or the easy option, as last night proved he's better than that, much better than that, and better than that on what, £4-5k a week?

I just think its a bit of a lazy attack against any player because its a way of criticising a guy after he’s actually done well. Joe cant win, he gets a 9/10 performance , which has happened lots of times by the way, and the story is ‘well, he’s inconsistent’.All you need is two poor games and two games when your opponent is having a worldie or a tactic or scheme and youre in a slump.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2024, 08:01 AM
I just think its a bit of a lazy attack against any player because its a way of criticising a guy after he’s actually done well. Joe cant win, he gets a 9/10 performance , which has happened lots of times by the way, and the story is ‘well, he’s inconsistent’.All you need is two poor games and two games when your opponent is having a worldie or a tactic or scheme and youre in a slump.

I think he can win, just take the shackles off and play a little further up the park instead of being a 3rd centre half, and take the game to the opposition more.

I'm hopeing the emergence of Welsh and Amos will give him that security to do it more often, as perhaps playing alongside Levitt in a 2 is doing him no favours, and even as a 3 with JDH and Campbell or whoever played in that 3 previously did not allow him to go forward like he did last night.

I keep hearing he's our best player, on last nights performance he is, it's no crime to want him to produce that kind of performance consistantly more than he does. As i said before, Joe can win, do it more often, we know he can.

Gloucester Hibs
08-02-2024, 08:09 AM

He's been hung out to dry with Monty's team selections up until last night. Levitt too. Amazing what sticking an extra body (who can actually track back and tackle) in the middle of the park can do.

JohnM1875
24-02-2024, 11:05 PM
Last 20 minutes or so he was a man possessed today. A captain who wouldn’t accept losing. Class.

RIP
25-02-2024, 04:05 AM
Last 20 minutes or so he was a man possessed today. A captain who wouldn’t accept losing. Class.

He's stepped up into the Beuzelin role. Intercepting, tackling, passing, driving us forward. More often than not in the right place at the right time.

Between him. Moriah-Welsh and Marcondes, we finally have the grit we were missing in midfield.

We should be playing through the centre circle more. Playing the ball up the touchline isn't leading to expected goals.

greenlex
25-02-2024, 06:28 AM
One of his excellent games yesterday. 👏👏👏

Brightside
25-02-2024, 07:41 AM

Yeh. I thought he was pretty average first half. But second half he was excellent.

Greensunshine
25-02-2024, 08:02 AM
If Joe had real pace, he’d be playing in the English Premiership. He’s a Rolls Royce of a player at times with a wand of a left foot.

CockneyRebel
25-02-2024, 08:12 AM
Yeh. I thought he was pretty average first half. But second half he was excellent.

I thought the whole team were struggling to get going for about 20 minutes with everyone underperforming. Then they all seemed to start clicking and it stayed that way for the rest of the game apart from some squeaky bum moments at the end. Some real classy stuff at times.

JohnM1875
25-02-2024, 08:46 AM
I thought the whole team were struggling to get going for about 20 minutes with everyone underperforming. Then they all seemed to start clicking and it stayed that way for the rest of the game apart from some squeaky bum moments at the end. Some real classy stuff at times.

My thoughts exactly. But when we did get going we played some great stuff and should have been out of sight by half time.

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2024, 08:49 AM
Yesterday we saw both sides of him, first half he slotted in at centre half well😁 and the 2nd half he did what we all know he can do, and want him to play.

BoomtownHibees
25-02-2024, 08:53 AM
Yesterday we saw both sides of him, first half he slotted in at centre half well😁 and the 2nd half he did what we all know he can do, and want him to play.

I really don’t get the dropping so deep stuff he wants to do. Was the same up at Inverness. Really limits the options our centre halfs have when on the ball

Brightside
25-02-2024, 08:58 AM
I really don’t get the dropping so deep stuff he wants to do. Was the same up at Inverness. Really limits the options our centre halfs have when on the ball

He has to do that when the CBs split. It’s his job.

BoomtownHibees
25-02-2024, 09:00 AM

But only in the first half? Didn’t do it in the 2nd half and we looked so much better. Again, same at Inverness

Brightside
25-02-2024, 09:02 AM
But only in the first half? Didn’t do it in the 2nd half and we looked so much better. Again, same at Inverness

We were more direct 2nd half for sure. Marshall going long on many occasions. But when we build out. He has to drop to cover the splitting CBs. Hes our DM when we play out.

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2024, 09:02 AM

Is it only his job for 45 minutes?

BoomtownHibees
25-02-2024, 09:04 AM
We were more direct 2nd half for sure. Marshall going long on many occasions. But when we build out. He has to drop to cover the splitting CBs. Hes our DM when we play out.

Being a DM is one thing. In the first half yesterday he could have put a pair of gloves on and gave Marshall a rest

Brightside
25-02-2024, 09:04 AM
Is it only his job for 45 minutes?

Explained above BH 👍

Keith_M
25-02-2024, 09:07 AM
I think some people underestimate his trickery at times.

There was one incident in the 2nd half where we had a free kick wide on the left and he was indicating to some of his team-mates to come for the ball, and taking a while to get going. A few people sitting near me were getting frustrated with him, but I don't think they realised it was just a ploy to pull the Dundee players in to create some space behind.

He then took a really quick free kick, straight through the crowd of players and into the space they had left, and it created a fantastic opportunity for a shot at goal (I think for Maolida).

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Explained above BH 👍

So basically the manager tells him to play that way and he can actually see what's happening?

Anyone with eyes can see it's not working, it slows us down to a snails pace, and good sides press us into mistakes. Just get him further up the bloody park, and let the defenders play.

Hibeesdaft16
25-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Please turn up on Weds Joey. We could do with the second half yesterday then.

ekhibee
25-02-2024, 09:14 AM

He was erratic before he came to Hibs and he's still erratic whether you want to admit it or not. The reason we have been poor for a large part of the season is certainly not just down to him but although at times like yesterday he has good games he also puts in plenty of poor ones too. Good player on his day definitely but not one I would personally rely on. And I'm a bit sick of this 'if he was more consistent he'd be at a better club' argument, if our policy is to sign players who perform from time to time rather than consistently then we end up like we are now, relying on loan deals and struggling to get into the top 6. Hopefully we will improve with the impact of Foley and Co, but even though I would have Newell in the team most weeks I wouldn't be building a team round him because for me he isn't nearly consistent enough. Just my opinion though, and I can see where you're coming from too.

Brightside
25-02-2024, 09:17 AM
So basically the manager tells him to play that way and he can actually see what's happening?

Anyone with eyes can see it's not working, it slows us down to a snails pace, and good sides press us into mistakes. Just get him further up the bloody park, and let the defenders play.

Every team that plays out from the back does this. From youth teams up. It’s a standard play. If we aren’t good enough to do it that a different issue. But it drags their players out and should allow us to break lines

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2024, 09:40 AM
Every team that plays out from the back does this. From youth teams up. It’s a standard play. If we aren’t good enough to do it that a different issue. But it drags their players out and should allow us to break lines

We are not good enough to do it, thats my point. And having Newell do it takes away what i feel is his best asset in moving the ball through the midfield, and actually driving the team forward.

Have you never noticed he seems to do this quite a lot in the 2nd half or later parts of games, because we are chasing games partly due to being way too passive earlier is these games, which he is a huge part of?

B.H.F.C
25-02-2024, 11:07 AM

It’s one of those things that a coaching manual says you should do. With a set of eyes you can see it does us, and Newell, no favours. It’s a complete waste of time and makes us so easy to play against when we do it. We, and he, are noticeably better when he steps up the park.

Tyler Durden
25-02-2024, 11:12 AM
This issue about first half performance vs second half… it’s a regular problem for the whole team. We start too slow on a regular basis.

We let the other team settle in to the game and get organised. At home we should be starting quickly and going direct (ie varying the slow passing out from the back) more often.

The manager needs to sort this out

maturehibby
25-02-2024, 11:32 AM
Think Joe lost the ball just over the half way line which led to Dundee goal

Unseen work
17-03-2024, 12:43 PM
Absolutely sensational for the second goal yesterday.

He was one of two men back as Livi looked to have a good chance from Rocky being dispossessed. Newell put in a fantastic slide tackle to win it back, he then drove through the middle of the pitch taking 2/3 Livi players out of the game. He then played two passes, one of which slipping it through to Youan who then crossed it for Maolida.

Brilliant all round midfield play.

yonder1875
17-03-2024, 12:47 PM
Him or Obita as POTY for me.

Top player and gives absolutely everything every week.

J-C
17-03-2024, 12:47 PM
The infuriating thing about him is we know he can play like he did yesterday, this season he has been far more consistent but he can still put in the invisible midfielder game, I also think we have far better players around him now which allows him to play like he did yesterday.

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 01:19 PM
The infuriating thing about him is we know he can play like he did yesterday, this season he has been far more consistent but he can still put in the invisible midfielder game, I also think we have far better players around him now which allows him to play like he did yesterday.

So can everyone. Newell is far more good than bad, and easily our most consistent midfield player.

Do folk think john Mcginn was running the show while while we were losing to Allow, Falkirk, Dumbarton etc? He certainly wasn't.

Centre Hawf
17-03-2024, 01:33 PM
Nearing POTY again for me. One of these players that I just don’t see what some others seem to see when they complain about him. Doesn’t mean they’re wrong but I think the guys different gravy at times.

VoltaireHibs
17-03-2024, 02:16 PM
Nearing POTY again for me. One of these players that I just don’t see what some others seem to see when they complain about him. Doesn’t mean they’re wrong but I think the guys different gravy at times.

Agree entirely. Without him we'd be down with Ross County this season. He held the midfield together until we got to the winter transfer window.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2024, 02:29 PM
He was erratic before he came to Hibs and he's still erratic whether you want to admit it or not. The reason we have been poor for a large part of the season is certainly not just down to him but although at times like yesterday he has good games he also puts in plenty of poor ones too. Good player on his day definitely but not one I would personally rely on. And I'm a bit sick of this 'if he was more consistent he'd be at a better club' argument, if our policy is to sign players who perform from time to time rather than consistently then we end up like we are now, relying on loan deals and struggling to get into the top 6. Hopefully we will improve with the impact of Foley and Co, but even though I would have Newell in the team most weeks I wouldn't be building a team round him because for me he isn't nearly consistent enough. Just my opinion though, and I can see where you're coming from too.

I read on a rugby thread after one of the internationals that we spend a lot of time criticising as if the starting position is a perfect match - no mistakes, excellent plan and execution, the list goes on.

i think we’re guilty of this I feel. Maybe we need to get real. Mistakes will be made, esp young players will be inconsistent, players are human, don’t follow stats slavishly - are we focusing / seeing continuous improvement?

Garymcl
17-03-2024, 02:29 PM
For me he puts in a decent/good performance each week if we can keep the same players or even better around him which with the Foley investment should happen next season I think we’ll see him getting even better genuinely excited for next season already

RIP
17-03-2024, 02:46 PM
We've been crying out for a leader. We now have one and in spite of being man marked on almost every game he plays, Joe Newell still drives the team forward.

J-C
17-03-2024, 02:54 PM
I must admit I've seen a different Newell this year to the inconsistent one we were used to seeing and I'm glad of that as he always had the ability but never showed it enough. I do also wonder if captaining the team the majority of the time has made him become more of a leader on the pitch, he does seem to take the game by the scruff of the neck more often, as I said in my earlier post having better more rounded players around him has helped him be better also.

eastmainsmsh
17-03-2024, 03:49 PM
Been really impressive more consistent of late great to see

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-03-2024, 04:44 PM
All Newell needed was good players around him. Too often he was left carrying the can for our midfield and I think it was unfair. Even John McGinn would struggle in our midfield in the last 2 years.

Now we’ve got Marcondes, NMW and Triantis all chipping in and Newell looks far more happier and the midfield is more balanced as a result.

Lago
17-03-2024, 04:49 PM
We've been crying out for a leader. We now have one and in spite of being man marked on almost every game he plays, Joe Newell still drives the team forward.
Hibs are fortunate to have him.

cameronw-hfc
17-03-2024, 04:54 PM
He's been consistently good for around 2 years now. This inconsistent thing is one of the most annoying Hibs myths. The guys a leader, as some have said, too often he was in a midfield with utter rubbish, yet was always the one to be blamed.

Guys different class for this level. Glad the majority of our fan base can see that, hope the rest come around soon.

Make him captian next season officially

Stick
17-03-2024, 04:59 PM
All Newell needed was good players around him. Too often he was left carrying the can for our midfield and I think it was unfair. Even John McGinn would struggle in our midfield in the last 2 years.

Now we’ve got Marcondes, NMW and Triantis all chipping in and Newell looks far more happier and the midfield is more balanced as a result.

Agree completely. Joe is one of those players that some folk won’t realise what we have until he is gone.

MagicSwirlingShip
17-03-2024, 05:02 PM
He's been consistently good for around 2 years now. This inconsistent thing is one of the most annoying Hibs myths. The guys a leader, as some have said, too often he was in a midfield with utter rubbish, yet was always the one to be blamed.

Guys different class for this level. Glad the majority of our fan base can see that, hope the rest come around soon.

Make him captian next season officially

Is it annoying because you are his biggest fanboy? There’s not a single Hibs player who can claim to be consistent. We blow hot to lukewarm to cold every other week.

Usually when we are playing well, Joe plays well, when we are honking, so is Joe. I will say that he has become less inconsistent this season, and his big performances are coming out more often than they used to.

cameronw-hfc
17-03-2024, 05:10 PM
Is it annoying because you are his biggest fanboy? There’s not a single Hibs player who can claim to be consistent. We blow hot to lukewarm to cold every other week.

Usually when we are playing well, Joe plays well, when we are honking, so is Joe. I will say that he has become less inconsistent this season, and his big performances are coming out more often than they used to.

No, it's annoying because it's a myth. For our level, he's consistent, player of the year last year, probably in with a shout this year if not win it again, been made vice captain with a big chance of the official armband at the end of the season, yet some will claim the one good game in 5/inconsistent myth.

I'll admit he was inconsistent in his first year or two, but it's stuck with him despite being largely good, often very good the last 2 years now.

Edit- I'll admit myth probably wrong word to use as consistency was an issue when he first joined, but thay label has stuck with him despite being our most consistent player for 2 years now.

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 05:17 PM

Joe is honking a lot less than Hibs are.

Just dumb to say everyone is bad just because we lose.

B.H.F.C
17-03-2024, 07:00 PM
No, it's annoying because it's a myth. For our level, he's consistent, player of the year last year, probably in with a shout this year if not win it again, been made vice captain with a big chance of the official armband at the end of the season, yet some will claim the one good game in 5/inconsistent myth.

I'll admit he was inconsistent in his first year or two, but it's stuck with him despite being largely good, often very good the last 2 years now.

Edit- I'll admit myth probably wrong word to use as consistency was an issue when he first joined, but thay label has stuck with him despite being our most consistent player for 2 years now.

I will agree that, outwith his first year, he’s always been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s always been consistently good though. Consistently average with some really good games thrown in. Over the last year, he’s been better than that for the most part though.

If he’d been very good for a couple of years or longer he’d likely not be here. He’s definitely won me round in comparison to what I used to think of him. Ultimately, since he’s been our main man in the middle of the park we don’t see some kind of big drop off if he’s not there though.

BILLYHIBS
17-03-2024, 07:08 PM
Not his biggest fan but he was good yesterday driving us on and helping us to win the all important initial midfield battle

Has really kicked on the last two years and his performances have become more consistent

What I really like is he really looks as though he cares and he obviously likes it here and is settled in Edinburgh

VoltaireHibs
17-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Not his biggest fan but he was good yesterday driving us on and helping us to win the all important initial midfield battle

Has really kicked on the last two years and his performances have become more consistent

What I really like is he really looks as though he cares and he obviously likes it here and is settled in Edinburgh

He's 'really kicked on in the last two years' and yet you aren't a fan? That comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2024, 07:18 PM
He's 'really kicked on in the last two years' and yet you aren't a fan? That comment doesn't make a lot of sense.
He said he wasn’t his biggest fan but that doesn’t mean he’s not a fan at all tho right?

Libby Hibby
17-03-2024, 07:23 PM
I love Joe Newell.

Flourishing even more with better players around him.

To think, pre-Christmas our best midfield was possibly, Newell, Jeggo and Campbell.

BILLYHIBS
17-03-2024, 07:35 PM

His debut at Stirling was one of the worst I have seen in 60 years of supporting Hibs even by his own admission

After that he continued to play as a winger for about 18 months he was never a winger

He then moved to CM and was ok

He had a reputation for being hot and cold

Over the last two years his performances have become better and more consistent the 1:4 good games have become 1:3

Some games recently he has been totally different gravy though interspersed with some games not so good

As someone pointed out he was POTY last season

Has to be said though he has had to be part of a two man midfield in a poor formation often outnumbered relying on wing backs and forwards to pull their weight to help him out who cannot always be relied upon

My comment was a compliment that he has improved compared to the old Joe Newell

Does that make sense or do you want me to draw you a picture? 😀

As I said I was never a fan but he is probably one of our better players now

Still not a fan though 😀

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 07:59 PM
His debut at Stirling was one of the worst I have seen in 60 years of supporting Hibs even by his own admission

After that he continued to play as a winger for about 18 months he was never a winger

He then moved to CM and was ok

He had a reputation for being hot and cold

Over the last two years his performances have become better and more consistent the 1:4 good games have become 1:3

Some games recently he has been totally different gravy though interspersed with some games not so good

As someone pointed out he was POTY last season

Has to be said though he has had to be part of a two man midfield in a poor formation often outnumbered relying on wing backs and forwards to pull their weight to help him out who cannot always be relied upon

My comment was a compliment that he has improved compared to the old Joe Newell

Does that make sense or do you want me to draw you a picture? 😀

As I said I was never a fan but he is probably one of our better players now

Still not a fan though 😀

18 months :faf:

He moved to the middle under Ross, after about 4 months here. 18 months? Not quite.

He played every week as we finished 3rd, 4 seasons ago. In central midfield.

HendoDelivered
17-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Hope a contract extension is on the table asap. Due to expire summer 2025 iirc

Dashing Bob S
17-03-2024, 08:10 PM

Nutshell.

Newell was constantly blamed for an unbalanced and understaffed engine room. As he was the only regular performer he was expected by some to dominate every game on his own.

BILLYHIBS
17-03-2024, 08:15 PM
18 months :faf:

He moved to the middle under Ross, after about 4 months here. 18 months? Not quite.

He played every week as we finished 3rd, 4 seasons ago. In central midfield.

Felt like 18 months 😂

9 months on the wing with Hecky 4 months on the wing with Ross then

Not sure exactly when JR converted him to a CM after being a winger under Hecky

You are well aware I am not a fan but happy to admit he has improved

Would be great if the brilliant Joe Newell could turn up every week then I might be converted

MWHIBBIES
17-03-2024, 08:21 PM
Felt like 18 months 😂

9 months on the wing with Hecky 4 months on the wing with Ross then

Not sure exactly when JR converted him to a CM after being a winger under Hecky

You are well aware I am not a fan but happy to admit he has improved

Would be great if the brilliant Joe Newell could turn up every week then I might be converted

No, not 9 months under hecky. Hecky signed Newell in summer, was binned early November, Ross never played Newell out wide.

He played him once or twice at wing back, and on the left of a diamond. Never as a winger.

Joe has since played 4 seasons as a starting central midfielder. To great effect. Get over his early troubles. It's embarrassing it's still mentioned. He played about 7 games wide left, 5 years ago.

The Modfather
17-03-2024, 08:23 PM
I will agree that, outwith his first year, he’s always been pretty consistent. I don’t think he’s always been consistently good though. Consistently average with some really good games thrown in. Over the last year, he’s been better than that for the most part though.

If he’d been very good for a couple of years or longer he’d likely not be here. He’s definitely won me round in comparison to what I used to think of him. Ultimately, since he’s been our main man in the middle of the park we don’t see some kind of big drop off if he’s not there though.

This is where I am. Talk about him being good all season isn’t balanced. He’s been good for most of it, but the first 3 league games, St Johnstone away and St Mirren at home are 5 games he was as bad as everyone else in performances no one deserved pass marks for.

My criticism of him isn’t the games where he’s anonymous, these are now the exception over the last 12-18 months. It’s not doing enough when we need someone to step up. Examples being the hearts game last game of the season last season and the Aberdeen semi after they scored. Instead of playing deep, recycling the ball and playing in front of the opposition we needed him to drive through the lines like he superbly did for the second goal yesterday. Our performances mimic Newell IMO. When he regresses to being a 3rd centre back we are often slow and lacking in tempo, a bad habit he still falls into too often IMO. When he’s playing higher up we have a better tempo and look a better team.

AlbertK86
17-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Him or Obita as POTY for me.

Top player and gives absolutely everything every week.

Agree … leads by example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
17-03-2024, 08:33 PM
No, not 9 months under hecky. Hecky signed Newell in summer, was binned early November, Ross never played Newell out wide.

He played him once or twice at wing back, and on the left of a diamond. Never as a winger.

Joe has since played 4 seasons as a starting central midfielder. To great effect. Get over his early troubles. It's embarrassing it's still mentioned. He played about 7 games wide left, 5 years ago.

OK will take your word for it defo remember Ross playing him wide left in a four

As I said it has only been in the last two seasons that he has really shown true form consistency kicked on and made me sit up and take notice

I am delighted when Joe Newell turns up on a going day

VoltaireHibs
17-03-2024, 08:43 PM
OK will take your word for it defo remember Ross playing him wide left in a four

As I said it has only been in the last two seasons that he has really shown true form consistency kicked on and made me sit up and take notice

I am delighted when Joe Newell turns up on a going day

Tough crowd man, tough crowd. 😉

BILLYHIBS
17-03-2024, 09:00 PM
Tough crowd man, tough crowd. 😉

😂