PDA

View Full Version : Certain football strips as "fashion" - yay or nay?

lyonhibs
25-09-2023, 07:02 AM
I have long been, and probably still mostly am, of the opinion that any grown person wearing a football top when not either watching or playing football (or, at a stretch, lounging about in some Mediterreanen beach bar) should be given a gentle reminder that they aren't 12 any more and go home to get changed, but in the past few years there have been some teams - PSG and Borussia Dortmund being the most clear examples - releasing away/3rd/European kits that are clearly designed with "looking cool" in mind and some of them have been belters that, if the exact same garmet was released by some big fashion house as opposed to a football club, would be easily credible mainstream clobber.

I am by no means, as the ditty goes, "a dedicated follower of fashion", but I find myself wearing both the pinstripe away kit from a couple of years ago and this season's 3rd kit - a new purchase, they aren't getting any bloody cheaper my god! - "out and about" more often - I wore the latter for a short hike in the Zermatt mountains yesterday (name dropping ********, I know :greengrin).

I think there's a perceptible shift in the football kit designs and subsequently target market(s) in the last few years - anyone else feel similar and find themselves wearing, or at least tempted to wear, a Hibs/other football top outside of the traditional "settings" more often?

HH81
25-09-2023, 07:19 AM
My thoughts are lifes too short to worry about what any one wears.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and it will be fine.

I do park runs in none traditional running gear and some people comment. I usually see the same ones at the end thinking how did he beat me. 😁

On holiday half the world wears sports strips based on places I have been.

.Sean.
25-09-2023, 07:27 AM
I don’t get the snobbery shown by some folk with it. I wouldn’t pack my suitcase full of Hibs tops for wearing every single day I’m away like the majority of Celtic and Rangers fans seem to do but I don’t think there’s any issues in throwing in a wee retro number or something to showcase your club on holiday.

In saying that I also wouldn’t wear a strip of any other team either, even if they are supposedly ‘fashion’ tops

Stubbsy90+2
25-09-2023, 07:44 AM
Personally it’s not for me but I do get where you are coming from, especially with some retro tops. Some of the retro re-releases are really cool.

Seen someone the other day wearing a Kappa Barcelona top with Ronaldo 9 on the back which was pretty cool. I’ve also got a 91/92 (I think) Marseille away top with Sauzee 5 (he was 5 for Marseille) on the back with the Adidas trefoil badge which i always think looks a lot cooler than a newer strip. I wear it for fives but reckon it could look alright on holiday or something.

Spudster
25-09-2023, 07:47 AM
Been coming for a while. Fashion brands cashing in on football tops and vintage tops being worn outside of the norm.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/fashion-designer-football-shirts

Latitude 2023: The rise of football shirts at music festivals https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66165011

Renfrew_Hibby
25-09-2023, 07:49 AM
The Jordan range that PSG have developed over the last few years has seen their brand become almost deriguour not just in Paris but London, New York and Milan.

Pagan Hibernia
25-09-2023, 07:50 AM
My thoughts are lifes too short to worry about what any one wears.

Wear what you feel comfortable in and it will be fine.

I do park runs in none traditional running gear and some people comment. I usually see the same ones at the end thinking how did he beat me. 😁

On holiday half the world wears sports strips based on places I have been.

100%.

I'll admit I used to get excited each matchday wondering what stylish combination Jack Ross would come up with but I've got past that phase.

MKHIBEE
25-09-2023, 07:56 AM
The only time I think the wearer needs to have a word with himself is when the top worn is a Rangers one. Otherwise it doesn’t bother me

Iain G
25-09-2023, 09:56 AM
I think it's pretty naff personally and agree with the original post, but at least it helps spot the people you want to avoid when on holiday! Not sure a sevconian wearing xxxl amounts of polyester in 40 degree heat is the most sensible thing to be wearing though.

LaMotta
25-09-2023, 11:45 AM
I hadn't worn a replica football shirt for years for same reason as the OP, but I've changed my tune on it recently. For away game trips at places like Luzern and Villa, and for Scotland Away games they are an absolute must. The more retro and the more unique/different the better.

WeeRussell
25-09-2023, 11:56 AM
There’s plenty people going about in far sillier-looking things than fitbaw tops.

Knock yersel out.

DH1875
25-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Tend to see a lot of Napoli stuff these days too. Think its more to do with the Armani connection other than anything else though.

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Who wears what on matchday shouldn't matter, I would be happy to see everybody turn up at ER in replica tops :aok:

The rest of the time folk should think a bit harder as to what looks good and what doesn't on the fuller figure, fitba tops don't tend to flatter those of us heading towards the python that's swallowed a sheep body shape :greengrin

ErinGoBraghHFC
25-09-2023, 12:46 PM
I’m rarely NOT in a football top if I’m not at work nowadays to be honest, if I’m going to the pub or to a show or something that’s different obviously. It’s usually Hibs, Scotland, Man Utd or St Pauli but I’ve got a decent collection of more obscure tops as well (Omonoia Nicosia being my favourite one). In Salou over the summer there was an unbelievable amount of people, not just kids, running about in Al Nassr and Inter Miami tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gloucester Hibs
25-09-2023, 12:51 PM
Been coming for a while. Fashion brands cashing in on football tops and vintage tops being worn outside of the norm.

Latitude 2023: The rise of football shirts at music festivals https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66165011

Noticed this at TRNSMT this year - loads of the young team wearing retro fitba strips. Quite liked it tbh. Some real collectors items that looked genuine, must have cost them a fair whack (or pinched their Dad's!)

Since452
25-09-2023, 12:57 PM
Was in Benidorm recently and there were loads of middle aged rotund Rangers fans in a bar dressed in full kit. Shorts, socks the lot. Found it a bit bizarre. I suppose they'd call themselves staunch?

Allant1981
25-09-2023, 01:06 PM
Each to their own, like I said about Lewis miller rolling his shorts up, who cares? Are folks lives really that boring they have to worry about what others are wearing. Personally I don't like wearing them even when I was playing

hibee-boys
25-09-2023, 01:10 PM
Bought my first top in years a few weeks ago for travelling down to Birmingham, that was the 3rd strip. Not one for wearing strips out and about or on holiday but each to their own.

LaMotta
25-09-2023, 01:14 PM

That Japan strip in the GQ article is amazing! Change the pink to white and you have a classic Hibs away top.

Noticed Brazilian side Chapecoense have some Hibs like strips too, quite like this one from 21/22 season:

LancashireHibby
25-09-2023, 01:35 PM
The only time I think the wearer needs to have a word with himself is when the top worn is a Rangers one. Otherwise it doesn’t bother me
First day on holiday in Palmanova today and we had 3 (THREE) different Rangers fans walk past us in our hotel inside less than two minutes. All in separate groups, too.

It was at that point I realised that I’d forgotten to pack any Hibs gear! Got a 97/98 Bolton away top for later in the week though

We have Football Shirt Friday at work. The more obscure, the better. Although working near Old Trafford does mean my range of Hibs tops are fairly unique. The yellow Sunshine on Leith top went down a storm the other week.

SteveHFC
25-09-2023, 04:37 PM
That Japan strip in the GQ article is amazing! Change the pink to white and you have a classic Hibs away top.

Noticed Brazilian side Chapecoense have some Hibs like strips too, quite like this one from 21/22 season:

Bought that on m and m direct a while ago.

DIXIHIBS
25-09-2023, 04:44 PM
Personally dont wear a top unless at the game or maybe watching on TV. Must admit if im on holiday and i see a grown man wearing hun/tic/ hertz top i immediately think $rseh#le but if i see a hibby....it feels good:flag:

brianmc
25-09-2023, 04:44 PM
I have long been, and probably still mostly am, of the opinion that any grown person wearing a football top when not either watching or playing football (or, at a stretch, lounging about in some Mediterreanen beach bar) should be given a gentle reminder that they aren't 12 any more and go home to get changed, but in the past few years there have been some teams - PSG and Borussia Dortmund being the most clear examples - releasing away/3rd/European kits that are clearly designed with "looking cool" in mind and some of them have been belters that, if the exact same garmet was released by some big fashion house as opposed to a football club, would be easily credible mainstream clobber.

I am by no means, as the ditty goes, "a dedicated follower of fashion", but I find myself wearing both the pinstripe away kit from a couple of years ago and this season's 3rd kit - a new purchase, they aren't getting any bloody cheaper my god! - "out and about" more often - I wore the latter for a short hike in the Zermatt mountains yesterday (name dropping ********, I know :greengrin).

I think there's a perceptible shift in the football kit designs and subsequently target market(s) in the last few years - anyone else feel similar and find themselves wearing, or at least tempted to wear, a Hibs/other football top outside of the traditional "settings" more often?

A shirt for every occasion...

heretoday
25-09-2023, 04:55 PM
Each to their own, like I said about Lewis miller rolling his shorts up, who cares? Are folks lives really that boring they have to worry about what others are wearing. Personally I don't like wearing them even when I was playing

I worry about what people are wearing. I've never seen such a bunch of slobs as in Princes St or the Gyle at times.
We should be like the Italians and take a pride in our appearance and also our cuisine.

LaMotta
25-09-2023, 04:58 PM
Bought that on m and m direct a while ago.

Tempted myself mate!

Mark05
25-09-2023, 05:48 PM

I think there's a perceptible shift in the football kit designs and subsequently target market(s) in the last few years - anyone else feel similar and find themselves wearing, or at least tempted to wear, a Hibs/other football top outside of the traditional "settings" more often?I must be one of these ********s,As I wear my hibs top on holidays then again I don't care what people think.I always get a nice feeling walking past rangers fans abroad lol.Im 50 so maybe I should grow up aparantly but I have always wore hibs tops and I don't see me changing just yet😁

StockbridgeGoat
25-09-2023, 06:22 PM
I’m in agreement with the beginning of the OP. If you are a grown adult and you wear a football top you’re a bit of a loser imo.

mcohibs
25-09-2023, 06:44 PM
I’m in agreement with the beginning of the OP. If you are a grown adult and you wear a football top you’re a bit of a loser imo.

Even at the fitba? Five a side? Gym?

LaMotta
25-09-2023, 10:57 PM

I suppose you'll be more used to seeing people in red trews and Scotland Rugby tops when you are popping into Mellis's for a 1/2 kilo of cave aged unpasteurised goats cheese before ponsing about the mean streets of Stockbridge in your boat shoes.

HoboHarry
26-09-2023, 12:52 AM

I can't attend games and there's fat chance of Hibs being on telly here so I'm wearing my hibs top whenever I feel like it and anyone who thinks I'm a loser for doing that can go get ******

WellingtonHibby
26-09-2023, 07:15 AM
I suppose you'll be more used to seeing people in red trews and Scotland Rugby tops when you are popping into Mellis's for a 1/2 kilo of cave aged unpasteurised goats cheese before ponsing about the mean streets of Stockbridge in your boat shoes.

Salmon chinoed flaneur.

Superb

HH81
26-09-2023, 07:41 AM
What i don't agree with is people wearing strips of different teams from same country/competition. Think that's a but too far. Other than that wear what want 😁

LaMotta
26-09-2023, 08:42 AM
Salmon chinoed flaneur.

Superb

:hilarious

hibstag
26-09-2023, 01:47 PM

In Scarborough a few years ago saw the whole family out and about home, away, third and grandad and granny in some dh gate type no surrender/ red hand/union jack mash up. I get strips on holiday but cutting about like it's cup final day as a family group -roasters

hibsforeurope
26-09-2023, 01:52 PM
Possibly slightly off topic but noticed a few of the current Hibs tops without the sponsor, anyone any idea where these can be purchased?

LancashireHibby
26-09-2023, 02:11 PM
Possibly slightly off topic but noticed a few of the current Hibs tops without the sponsor, anyone any idea where these can be purchased?

I assume it’s on request to the club shop. They are duty bound to have some without sponsor now that we’ve got an alcohol-related sponsor.

.Sean.
26-09-2023, 02:20 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

DH1875
26-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Seen a guy today, built like a *house and aged around 40-50 I'd say. Head to toe in Barcelona kit with socks all the way up to over his knees. Shorts and shirt a large at best and on an XXL body. It was the matching baseball cap that tied it all together though lol.
Thing is, I wasn't at the beach or at the gym or anywhere in Spain. I was walking down the street in Possil, Glasgow in the peeing rain. Looked totally out of place but then, it was Possil.

Pagan Hibernia
26-09-2023, 03:26 PM
Seen a guy today, built like a *house and aged around 40-50 I'd say. Head to toe in Barcelona kit with socks all the way up to over his knees. Shorts and shirt a large at best and on an XXL body. It was the matching baseball cap that tied it all together though lol.
Thing is, I wasn't at the beach or at the gym or anywhere in Spain. I was walking down the street in Possil, Glasgow in the peeing rain. Looked totally out of place but then, it was Possil.

This takes the biscuit.

Football shirts are one thing, but an adult wearing a full kit with socks and all should be a criminal offence. Hideous

HoboHarry
26-09-2023, 03:30 PM
If it was in Possil are you certain it was a man?

Mark05
26-09-2023, 03:44 PM

Well in my opinion you sound like a loser with that comment

DH1875
26-09-2023, 03:57 PM
This takes the biscuit.

Football shirts are one thing, but an adult wearing a full kit with socks and all should be a criminal offence. Hideous

It was the Barcelona baseball cap that was to small for his head that got me lol.

ErinGoBraghHFC
27-09-2023, 01:59 AM

I truly don’t believe anything would look out of place in Possil, the only place I can conceive of seeing someone cutting about in a tuxedo eating a pigeon in a bus stop. A thoroughly mental place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
27-09-2023, 07:38 AM
What i don't agree with is people wearing strips of different teams from same country/competition. Think that's a but too far. Other than that wear what want 😁

Agree. I wouldn’t even wear an English teams shirt.

Although I have picked up some weird ones in my travels. Dynamo Tbilisi, Partisan Tirana, Slavia Prague, Bochum, etc.

J

Auckland Hibs
27-09-2023, 08:48 AM
Each to their own IMO.

I don't mind seeing people out and about wearing their tops, but the whole shorts and socks combo on an adult is a bit weird IMO.

I once saw an adult with the full kit including boots at a game at ER, Celtic fan.

Pretty Boy
27-09-2023, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't dream of wearing the current seasons kit, each to their own but it's not for me. I think it's a relatively recent phenomenon in football really, certainly not something you see when you look at old photos from the 40s, 50s and 60s. I suppose how people dressed in general was more regimented then. Even when you look at the famous Wembley pitch invasion from '77 replica Scotland tops, kilts and Glengarry hats are all in pretty short supply, a lot of dodgy double denim mind you. I do wonder when actually wearing the strip as a fan became a thing? I had replica tops in the early 90s but don't really remember as many adults wearing them as you see today.

I have amassed a decent collection of retro Hibs tops in recent years though. I wouldn't wear them to ER but for an away day they will get an airing now and then. Tbh I'm not keen on football tops, flags etc at things like gigs, festivals and so on. There's a time and a place for me and that's not it.

A lot of the reasoning behind not wearing a replica top for me is a legacy from when I was younger. If you wanted to go straight out after a game then cutting about in a football top seriously limited your options if you wanted to broaden your horizons beyond a football pub.

Carheenlea
27-09-2023, 11:24 AM
A few years ago on holiday in Tenerife on an early evening I observed a couple who looked early 60’s walking past heading into town. The woman was in a summer dress and the man was wearing smart black slacks and shoes. However he had on the latest Newcastle Utd replica shirt neatly tucked into his trousers.

I think Newcastle are up there with with Old Firm for fans opting for replica kit as all round general non-football wear. I guess that given how expensive those polyester tops are you’re as well getting plenty wear out of them.

Keith_M
27-09-2023, 12:02 PM
Haven't worn a football top for years but it honestly doesn't bother me if other folk (even my age) wear them.

Stuart93
27-09-2023, 12:05 PM
There’s always a Celtic top

Betty Boop
27-09-2023, 12:26 PM

Were you walking down Saracen Street?

Since90+2
27-09-2023, 12:29 PM
People like to represent their teams when abroad. Don't see the harm in it personally.

Although you do see an unusual amount of Celtic and Sevco tops.

DH1875
27-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Were you walking down Saracen Street?

No, Balmore Road. Guy had just been to Lidl as he had the carrier bags in each hand as well to compliment the look.

malcolm
27-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Well it seems that ‘chav fashion’ football top manufacturers have produced a wet tee shirt type look that Aston Villa ladies are ..er not looking forward to. 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66932993

Joe6-2
27-09-2023, 06:25 PM
Personally dont wear a top unless at the game or maybe watching on TV. Must admit if im on holiday and i see a grown man wearing hun/tic/ hertz top i immediately think $rseh#le but if i see a hibby....it feels good:flag:

I think that’s all they pack, especially Huns

bawheid
27-09-2023, 06:30 PM

Brilliant :faf:

MKHIBEE
27-09-2023, 06:33 PM
I think that’s all they pack, especially Huns
All they pack? Have you ever seen a hun in an airport with luggage?

lyonhibs
27-09-2023, 06:52 PM
All they pack? Have you ever seen a hun in an airport with luggage?

You'd think they were emigrating, but sadly......

Joe6-2
27-09-2023, 06:59 PM
You'd think they were emigrating, but sadly......

😂😂

Speedy
27-09-2023, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't dream of wearing the current seasons kit, each to their own but it's not for me. I think it's a relatively recent phenomenon in football really, certainly not something you see when you look at old photos from the 40s, 50s and 60s. I suppose how people dressed in general was more regimented then. Even when you look at the famous Wembley pitch invasion from '77 replica Scotland tops, kilts and Glengarry hats are all in pretty short supply, a lot of dodgy double denim mind you. I do wonder when actually wearing the strip as a fan became a thing? I had replica tops in the early 90s but don't really remember as many adults wearing them as you see today.

I have amassed a decent collection of retro Hibs tops in recent years though. I wouldn't wear them to ER but for an away day they will get an airing now and then. Tbh I'm not keen on football tops, flags etc at things like gigs, festivals and so on. There's a time and a place for me and that's not it.

A lot of the reasoning behind not wearing a replica top for me is a legacy from when I was younger. If you wanted to go straight out after a game then cutting about in a football top seriously limited your options if you wanted to broaden your horizons beyond a football pub.

Same. Almost never wear a Hibs top to a game.

Scotland tops I'll wear to games though.

Hibs tops are reserved for 5s and lazing about the house.