PDA

View Full Version : Stopping crosses into the box

Donegal Hibby
24-09-2023, 07:58 PM
I found it interesting to hear Monty mention in his post - match St Johnstone interview that they had a lot of crosses from out wide into our box and it was something we definitely could have been better at stopping ! He added it's something we need to work on . Thoughts?

DaveF
25-09-2023, 06:26 AM
Heard that too. Clearly, still a hangover from the previous regime where we did t even look like we were trying to stop them. Be interesting to see how this one plays out.

lyonhibs
25-09-2023, 07:12 AM
I found it interesting to hear Monty mention in his post - match St Johnstone interview that they had a lot of crosses from out wide into our box and it was something we definitely could have been better at stopping ! He added it's something we need to work on . Thoughts?

Thoughts are that LJ et al seemed pathologically adverse to having full backs starting wide enough/pressing hard enough to block crosses which lead to us inevitably conceding multiple goals from undefended crosses - not Beckham-esque deliveries either.

If Montgomerie has clocked this and is keen on changing it, thank god for that. Such a basic element of the game that we just collectively forgot about under LJ.

weecounty hibby
25-09-2023, 07:12 AM
Mentioned it at the game. The number of crosses into our box was unbelievable. CHs mostly dealt with them ok but against a better team it will give us problems

lyonhibs
25-09-2023, 07:14 AM
Mentioned it at the game. The number of crosses into our box was unbelievable. CHs mostly dealt with them ok but against a better team it will give us problems

Said the exact same after the Luzern away game, as wonderful as that night was, the number of balls that got into the box unchallenged was incredible. That trend continued and we all know what happened next.

Dublin07
25-09-2023, 07:36 AM
I actually thought we were better at stopping the crosses on Saturday. Miller and obita blocked a fair number. They still got too many in the box though which is why we still need to work on it. Was the perfect game to have before st mirren as they score most of their goals from crosses to the the back post.

Blaster
25-09-2023, 08:59 AM
I actually thought we were better at stopping the crosses on Saturday. Miller and obita blocked a fair number. They still got too many in the box though which is why we still need to work on it. Was the perfect game to have before st mirren as they score most of their goals from crosses to the the back post.

Agree, I thought Miller and Obita stopped 4 crosses between them in the first half which forced them to start crossing from deeper which are easier to defend

Iain G
25-09-2023, 09:58 AM

As it did against Villa at home. We played a very narrow back four and let them ping those in at will. It's something am glad a good coach like Monty has spotted from the off.

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2023, 12:06 PM
One thing I noticed against St Johnstone that happened a couple of times when we had the ball was Rocky was more or less in the LB position and Fish in the RB position with both Newell and Jeggo sitting deep. I take it the fullbacks were further up the field.

I suppose if we were caught on the counter - attack we'd be vulnerable to crosses either side or would we ? . I think this is what happened when Rocky was slow in getting back to his position against killie for there first goal .

eastterrace
25-09-2023, 12:16 PM
Youan effort to stop one of the crosses was pretty weak ( he barely put his leg out) and it led to Marshall having that great save, so maybe monty wanting to try and get whoever is trying to block them to put a better effort in.

DH1875
25-09-2023, 12:25 PM
Its been a big problem since the start of the season. Hopefully this manager has a plan as the previous one seemed to be pretty oblivious to it despite everyman and his dug knowing about it.

Ronniekirk
25-09-2023, 12:39 PM
St Mirren have scored a lot of their goals from crosses into box So they will look to exploit this in cup game So yet needs to be worked on

Twiglet
25-09-2023, 12:43 PM
Montgomery was shouting quite a few times to get them stop the crosses. He seemed to want to stop things before they got too far up and got the chance to cross in. Also shouts to get up when we cleared rather than sitting on the line like we have been doing.

richard_pitts
25-09-2023, 12:53 PM
i thought we were better at this and Obita and Miller appeared to be working on this. Generally we restricted St Johnstone to 1 SOT so we did well enough. A work in progress but like night and day.

Will Fish's pre match comments to the effect of "We've got a game plan and we feel really well-organised" are telling about what went before. Surely that's the minimum standard??:confused:

greenlex
25-09-2023, 01:08 PM
i thought we were better at this and Obita and Miller appeared to be working on this. Generally we restricted St Johnstone to 1 SOT so we did well enough. A work in progress but like night and day.

Will Fish's pre match comments to the effect of "We've got a game plan and we feel really well-organised" are telling about what went before. Surely that's the minimum standard??:confused:
Clear game plan and a plan b when it’s not going to the original. Minimum 100% effort.
Those are the minimum three things from a coach and squad.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2023, 01:14 PM
We’ve been talking it being a problem since Jack Ross’s days.

Hopefully NM will try and sort it asap.

Torto7
25-09-2023, 01:50 PM

Yeah this is true. The personal has somewhat changed since then but the issue remains.

Since452
25-09-2023, 02:58 PM
Teams put so many crosses in against us as they know one time it'll usually result in a goal. It's what I'd be telling my team to do if they were playing Hibs. We dealt with it pretty well on Saturday.

WeeRussell
25-09-2023, 03:52 PM
Could be worse. Hearts have taken to allowing crosses into the box, and then the same cross to be left to roll through the six yard box for a tap-in at the back post.

Brightside
25-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Yeah this is true. The personal has somewhat changed since then but the issue remains.

Its the same issue for all teams tbf.

25-09-2023, 04:23 PM
Could be worse. Hearts have taken to allowing crosses into the box, and then the same cross to be left to roll through the six yard box for a tap-in at the back post.

If only Frankie Kent whit he wiz dain.

A Hi-Bee
25-09-2023, 04:56 PM

Since before Ross's day it has been a problem for many seasons.

RyeSloan
25-09-2023, 09:31 PM
Since before Ross's day it has been a problem for many seasons.

Up there with the throw in problem probably.

Do we block less and allow more crosses than other teams or is just the fact we appear to have been conceding from them more often than would be expected.

Or are teams playing more in the style that means there is simply more crosses than used to be attempted?

We need some stats!

I’m sure there was a Jack Ross season where we only conceded something like one goal from a cross all season…then started the next by conceding about 5 in 2 games from them!

CapitalGreen
25-09-2023, 09:58 PM
Up there with the throw in problem probably.

Do we block less and allow more crosses than other teams or is just the fact we appear to have been conceding from them more often than would be expected.

Or are teams playing more in the style that means there is simply more crosses than used to be attempted?

We need some stats!

I’m sure there was a Jack Ross season where we only conceded something like one goal from a cross all season…then started the next by conceding about 5 in 2 games from them!

Aye, the winner in the Scottish Cup final.

WeeRussell
26-09-2023, 08:46 PM
If only Frankie Kent whit he wiz dain.

The money penny only dropped when watching them tonight, but good work 007.