PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning

Vault Boy
23-09-2023, 03:59 PM
I don't think anybody wanted to say it, but today felt like a must win game.

Not only did we deliver the goods on the park, but today felt like the mark of a totally fresh era under our new regime. Jair being given a chance from the void, a record breaking debutant in Rory Whittaker, and a team that played with purpose, identity, and at times, style. All of it felt new, vibrant, and positive.

For the first time in a long time, I'm so excited about what's to come for Hibs. I'll say it quietly, but I think we could be onto a winner with Monty.

Paul1642
23-09-2023, 04:00 PM
All positives today. We could have easily scored 4 or 5 with a bit of luck and some better finishing.

Pagan Hibernia
23-09-2023, 04:00 PM
Breath of fresh air that performance.

The signs were there at Killie last week.

It's early days of course, but I'm excited

Since452
23-09-2023, 04:16 PM
Said from the St Mirren game we have a top 4 attack and bottom 4 defence. I was unsure about Montgomery but he's got serious credit in the bank for me already by changing things at the back and not sticking with the same old. If we can keep it tight, our attacking players can fire us to 3rd this season.

The Modfather
23-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Think Monty is the real deal. In that he has the team organised and know what they are doing and once the game is won get the youngsters minutes. Night and day to Johnson’s approach.

WhileTheChief..
23-09-2023, 04:24 PM
Cracking result and a decent enough performance.

Don’t think NM is under any kind of pressure at all and doubt we’ll have have many ‘must win’ games this season.

Northernhibee
23-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Colour me very excited about Monty.

Keith_M
23-09-2023, 05:22 PM
It's been an encouraging start but it's still very early days.

Lago
23-09-2023, 05:30 PM
Think Monty is the real deal. In that he has the team organised and know what they are doing and once the game is won get the youngsters minutes. Night and day to Johnson’s approach.
And after only 2 weeks in the job

Mikey_1875
23-09-2023, 05:33 PM

I agree. The last twenty was hopefully a taste of what is to come and it was also pleasing to see him trying youth in an area we are short in.

It is a hard job for any manager though and there will be bigger tests down the road than today. Starting Wednesday.

Onion
23-09-2023, 05:35 PM
Important 3 points today but lots of work for Monty ahead. Jair starting is an interesting move, but have yet to see himinfluence the game or look like he's worth a place. IMO St J played the better football at times and it was only once the game opened up / got stretched that Hibs started to flourish. Our strength is still very much counter attack at pace. We have an excellent front line. But that defence needs work, and a few in midfield need replaced.

In saying that, am much more confident of the future with Monty than the previous guy or the guy before that.

makaveli1875
23-09-2023, 05:39 PM
Is it too early for a Monty out thread , we only won 2-0 . He's playing school children . What next

Irish_Steve
23-09-2023, 05:39 PM
I think we may get caught out by better teams than St J if we continue to let Rocky run out of defence with the ball, sometimes there was massive gaps behind him

lugz
23-09-2023, 05:51 PM
Really enjoyed today and thought the team played very well overall, on another day we score 4 or 5.

One thing I would say is I think us the fans need to appreciate we have a new manager coming in with his own ideas and when players don't release the ball quick enough or Marshall doesn't go long its because they've been instructed not too. The players will still be learning what Nick expects from them and it will take time.

Hiber-nation
23-09-2023, 05:52 PM
It was only St Johnstone at home so let's no get carried away. But we could have scored 5 without being particularly brilliant and we kept a clean sheet so that's definitely progress.

Skol
23-09-2023, 05:57 PM
I thought we took too many chances in defence and not enough in attack. The second goal showed what can happen when you take some more risk in the final third and put the opposition defence under pressure. There is a lot of work to be done with the players on the new approach.

Overall though it felt like an improvement and the last 20 mins were pretty encouraging. Nice to see Tavares get a chance, but I think he needs to be getting 25 mins at the end rather than starting. Young lad looked promising as well, and I was amazed to find he was just 16.

We do find ourselves in a better position now though and you think of what might have been. A dropped point last week and also that dreadful start to the season. The future though looks bright

tamig
23-09-2023, 05:59 PM
It was only St Johnstone at home so let's no get carried away. But we could have scored 5 without being particularly brilliant and we kept a clean sheet so that's definitely progress.

Only St J at home? Have you seen our recent record against them regardless of where they’ve been in the league?

JohnM1875
23-09-2023, 06:08 PM
I think you do need to take into account the opposition though. Struggling and bottom of the league. We should be putting them to bed easily. I mean, imagine someone like the current champions had to play them. Absolute bloodbath eh... What? What do you mean Celtic have already played them?... Absolute pumping I'd imagine hah! Three or fou.. It was 0-0? Wha, are you sure it was 0-0?

We're winning the ****ing lot!! 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Hiber-nation
23-09-2023, 06:19 PM
Only St J at home? Have you seen our recent record against them regardless of where they’ve been in the league?

Haha yep I'm referring to how things should be rather than how they've been in recent times. I'm more than happy 😁

James70
23-09-2023, 07:12 PM
We appear to have a plethora of young talented players and a new manager who is prepared to bring them into the first team. Is it possible that we are about to see Golden Generation Mark 2?

I am really encouraged hearing his comments after the game today.

Cat Stanton
23-09-2023, 07:14 PM
Passing the ball quickly to feet, a clear plan, youth getting its chance.. why it's like past year under Johnson has just been a bad dream.

Onwards and upwards!

Ps defence still looks shaky as anything however...

Pagan Hibernia
23-09-2023, 07:19 PM

It's not that bad since the cup final

Carheenlea
23-09-2023, 07:35 PM
One takeaway from this afternoon would be “Do we have the patience for patient football?”

You could see tactically the type of football Montgomerie is looking to play, and it’s not full on 100mph stuff for the whole game. When we found our openings to attack, those attacks were fluid and at pace, but while waiting for those chances you heard some frustration from the stands, quite loudly, if a pass was backwards as we kept moving the ball, albeit slowly at times while we looked for openings.

Smashing the door down stuff it wasn’t, but I enjoyed watching us today.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2023, 07:46 PM
One takeaway from this afternoon would be “Do we have the patience for patient football?”

You could see tactically the type of football Montgomerie is looking to play, and it’s not full on 100mph stuff for the whole game. When we found our openings to attack, those attacks were fluid and at pace, but while waiting for those chances you heard some frustration from the stands, quite loudly, if a pass was backwards as we kept moving the ball, albeit slowly at times while we looked for openings.

People need to get used to how we play. He won’t change.

Results will calm people down. We’re a team with a plan now. And the players look much more motivated.

Leith Green
23-09-2023, 07:56 PM

To be fair , the first half was very slow and the centre halves (mostly Rocky) were holding onto the ball longer than they needed to. It meant the wide players in space were then being closed down , which meant any chance of attacking the opposition with players not back in their defensive shape was gone. Obviously meant a fair bit then went backwards or players almost getting caught in possession as the last man. , we could have conceded a goal with a few players almost losing possession and they would have been through one on one with our keeper

I think all that said , fans are going to get frustrated as it was happening a fair bit and could have cost us . It definitely slowed our build up and kind of nullified any width in the first half. Flip side is how different we looked second half , i thought some of our attacks and how fluid we looked at times during that half was very encouraging

SJNB Hibby
23-09-2023, 08:03 PM
I think we may get caught out by better teams than St J if we continue to let Rocky run out of defence with the ball, sometimes there was massive gaps behind him
That happening so often contrasted with the number of times we tried to play tippy-tappy in our own penalty area, which nearly burnt as lust week, and had me nervous a few times today. We're not Barcelona, we can't be too risky. What we do have are lots of threats all over the place. We'll score goals, no doubt, lets just try the cut passing a little further away from Marshall please

Hibees1973
23-09-2023, 08:07 PM
Agree, I feel much better about things with Montgomery in charge.

What we have in the squad just now should be good enough for the top 5.

However, if we want to be a side that achieves 3rd, has regular visits to Hampden for semis/finals, competes strongly in one off games with the OF, the team that gets us to this to this position will be unrecognisable from the one we currently have.

In time Montgomery will have 3 different defenders and 2 new midfielders in the team at the very least.

Some in the team/squad still way off not good enough.

Dashing Bob S
23-09-2023, 08:09 PM
We need to keep perspective and it's very early days, but its hard not to be impressed by this guy. The way he conducts himself, his focus and determination, his obvious rapport with the players and belief in how the club should perform are all very evident.

Exciting times for the club.

Keepthefaith
23-09-2023, 08:55 PM
Really enjoyed today and thought the team played very well overall, on another day we score 4 or 5.

One thing I would say is I think us the fans need to appreciate we have a new manager coming in with his own ideas and when players don't release the ball quick enough or Marshall doesn't go long its because they've been instructed not too. The players will still be learning what Nick expects from them and it will take time.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm absolutely 100% behind Monty but there were times when Jair / Boyle / Vente etc were making good runs when Marshall had the ball, looking for him to release it quickly but he failed to do so. so is that Marshall following Montys instruction or are the attackers by making the runs immediately and seeking to be found? if the guys are making the runs and there is an opportunity, I find it hard to believe that they'd be instructed not to try it...

Not In The Know
23-09-2023, 09:03 PM

St j who frustrated Celtic to a draw at parkhead.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2023, 09:08 PM
We were able to make good subs today and the likes of a Levitt didn’t get off the bench. Squad isn’t perfect but it’s more than capable of beating most in this league.

neil7908
23-09-2023, 09:08 PM
It's just nice imo to have some excitement and buzz back around ER.

I'm really pleased with how we've done so far but I do think with the current squad, we will take a few sore defeats and we need to be prepared for how a better attacking side might exploit our defence.

I wasn't at the game today but someone on the match thread alluded to the fact some players will be able to play the managers way and some won't. It feels like more than any manager in recent times we have someone with a clear and district philosophy and a way of playing. I can see us being a bit up and down for this season as not all the squad will be able to cope but with the right coaching some will adapt and with the right recruitment we can hopefully sign the kind of players the manager needs.

It's also wonderful to see a youngster get some minutes. 16 is far too young to make any predictions but there is just something heartening as a fan when you see a a local kid getting some game time.

Long way to go but early signs are promising, and hopefully we still have some budget for 2/3 new signings in January.

Hiber-nation
23-09-2023, 09:11 PM
St j who frustrated Celtic to a draw at parkhead.

And got beat 4-0 at home by Stirling Albion. They're relegation favourites so I'd expect us to beat them at home but as I said I'm more than happy with the performance.

Hedlund12
23-09-2023, 09:38 PM

Totally agree with your comments about players getting used to what Nick expects from them.
I sit behind the dugouts and twice witnessed Marshall looking like he was about to play the long ball, then he was instructed by Nick to play the short ball (Nick pointing to who he wanted the ball played to).
It's very pleasing to see lots of instructions and encouragement coming from the bench. SDG on his feet at one point too giving instructions to someone.

The togetherness in the team looks great too.
I saw a wee spat/exchange of words between Elie and Lewis S - their passion made me laugh 😃
I also felt sorry for Tavares for 2 reasons 1)The ***** being spoken about him from the guys behind me was disappointing
2) as the squad came off at the end he was totally isolated, no-one around him, he looked dejected. I hope someone within the squad can put an arm around this guy and bring him back into the fold.

Wednesday is going to be a real test for us but I'm defo liking the encouraging signs from NM and his staff so far!

Brightside
23-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Anything away from LJ is a bonus.

Torto7
23-09-2023, 11:40 PM
I'm getting carried away. Why not. It's not often a Hibs manager comes in and impresses me like General Montgomery does. :flag:

tonyrougier123
24-09-2023, 05:27 AM
And got beat 4-0 at home by Stirling Albion. They're relegation favourites so I'd expect us to beat them at home but as I said I'm more than happy with the performance.

The difference is we broke through the turgid 10 men behind the ball usual saints nonsense,recent years they’ve nicked it at Easter road playing that way.

Relegation favourites or not,what a breath of fresh air to see them get very little yesterday 3points and a clean sheet into the bargain.

Bout time we started winning at home,whoever comes to visit.

Hibrandenburg
24-09-2023, 06:46 AM

Agree, we beat the team anchored to the foot of the table at home. I'm happy to accept gradual improvement but there will be hiccups along the way.

Heisenberg
24-09-2023, 07:08 AM
Thought we looked good in spells during the first half but improved in the second, especially with the introduction of Youan. Tavares still to provide any sort of evidence that he’s got what it takes. Hanlon looked good when he came on but Rocky was also absolutely fine which was good to see after his mistake the week before.

Montgomery was always telling the players to calm down and stick to the plan whenever the crowd started moaning about building up from the back. Can see the team are still getting used to it and a better side probably takes advantage of some of the mistakes we were making first half but it was a whole lot better to watch than what LJ was serving up.

Since452
24-09-2023, 05:32 PM
There were times in the game it was very reminiscent of LJ this season. Slow and sluggish. Hardly surprising seeing as he's only just away. St Johnstone are stuffy as we all know. Good result and results breed confidence. Onwards and upwards.

Still Smiling
24-09-2023, 05:38 PM
There were times in the game it was very reminiscent of LJ this season. Slow and sluggish. Hardly surprising seeing as he's only just away. St Johnstone are stuffy as we all know. Good result and results breed confidence. Onwards and upwards.
I think we as fans expect too much. I thought we were generally composed at the back and we had more action in the final third than we had under LJ. I felt the same against Killie for the first hour last week.

Since452
24-09-2023, 05:43 PM
I think we as fans expect too much. I thought we were generally composed at the back and we had more action in the final third than we had under LJ. I felt the same against Killie for the first hour last week.

Been a definite all round improvement in the last two games. So disappointing to only draw last week but liking what I'm seeing on the whole so far. St Mirren will be a bigger test.

Corstorphine Hibby
24-09-2023, 05:52 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I'm absolutely 100% behind Monty but there were times when Jair / Boyle / Vente etc were making good runs when Marshall had the ball, looking for him to release it quickly but he failed to do so. so is that Marshall following Montys instruction or are the attackers by making the runs immediately and seeking to be found? if the guys are making the runs and there is an opportunity, I find it hard to believe that they'd be instructed not to try it...

And one of those times that you refer to when Marshall held onto the ball when forwards made runs was 2 or 3 minutes before HT when we were one nil up. For me, Marshall did the right thing at the right time in the game.

jacomo
24-09-2023, 07:01 PM

As always, the noisy fools in the stands are best ignored.

NM seems to have the strength of character to see through his own plan.

Cat Stanton
24-09-2023, 08:15 PM

Second half was night and day compared to Johnson.

In fact, I've already put the whole Johnson period down as a bad dream.

Keepthefaith
24-09-2023, 08:50 PM
Second half was night and day compared to Johnson.

In fact, I've already put the whole Johnson period down as a bad dream.

In which Monty is fast becoming my wet dream!

eastmainsmsh
25-09-2023, 06:46 AM
What a difference never had a sore neck from watching ball getting lofted lol

Jones28
25-09-2023, 06:55 AM
This is the first time I’ve been excited about a managerial appointment since Ross came in. Last summer with Johnson was just so flat and uninspiring, which faded a bit after watching our pre season games and signings, but for Monty to give a 16 year old a debut is something we were looking for under Johnson and it just never came.