PDA

View Full Version : More Tactics... Not Just Long balls

Up-the-slope
18-09-2023, 09:25 AM
Thats two very telling quotes from Dylan Vente - was fairly supportive of LJ but that snippet is a bit of an insight into what one player made of how he did things.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/more-tactics-not-just-long-balls-what-hibs-player-likes-about-new-boss-4338921

LewysGot2
18-09-2023, 10:24 AM
Anyone there on Saturday saw there were definitely changes in approach from back 4 through to twin striker play.

Inverted wingers.

Playing the ball out via the centre halves.

That last bit had some folk round us no happy 🤭🤣

B.H.F.C
18-09-2023, 10:31 AM
Vente must have wondered what he’d got himself in to initially, coming from a place where everything is technical.

The difference on Saturday was very apparent. The thing is it’s probably going to cause us some problems at times, which people are going to have to accept to a point, but I think it’ll cause the opposition a lot more.

Lago
18-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Vente must have wondered what he’d got himself in to initially, coming from a place where everything is technical.

The difference on Saturday was very apparent. The thing is it’s probably going to cause us some problems at times, which people are going to have to accept to a point, but I think it’ll cause the opposition a lot more.
Do we have the players able to play a more technical game?

Northernhibee
18-09-2023, 10:35 AM

Newell, Vente, Hanlon, Boyle, Le Fondre, Hanlon, Levitt, JDH - for certain.

BoomtownHibees
18-09-2023, 11:13 AM

We done it very well for an hour or so on Saturday. Now it’s about getting that level of play across the full 90 or at least being able to manage the game properly when going ahead

Hibs4185
18-09-2023, 11:21 AM
I was 50/50 with LJ but after reading that I’m
Glad he’s gone.

Can’t believe he was a long ball merchant.

Vente must’ve been greeting after hearing that was his new team’s tactics.

B.H.F.C
18-09-2023, 11:23 AM

On the evidence of Saturday, yes. Our use of the ball for much of the game was good. It’s the other side we lack and and needs worked on IMO.

It’s not as if the previous approach was working for us. Also think a lot of what Montgomery wants to do is coachable and players can improve.

theonlywayisup
18-09-2023, 11:46 AM
Playing the ball out via the centre halves.

That last bit had some folk round us no happy 🤭🤣

Yes, quite a change in approach and worked well for much of the game. In my basic understanding of the game, our central defenders were taking the ball almost on the six-yard box. The opposition forwards moved on to pressurise our defenders, leaving gaps in midfield for Doidge, Boyle, Youan and Vente to run into to accept the pass. The full-backs being the outball, if the pass into the middle of the park wasn't on. Worked well for most of the time, but wonder what the boo boys at Easter Road will make of it.

Donegal Hibby
18-09-2023, 11:50 AM
First half I thought we were good and probably should have been further ahead . 2nd half wasn't great and at times the ball was like a hot potato to our players who repeatedly gave it away. It's been like that for awhile now were we see to different Hibs teams in each half though signs from the first were encouraging and hopefully when Monty has more time to work with them we will improve more .

LewysGot2
18-09-2023, 01:05 PM
Yes, quite a change in approach and worked well for much of the game. In my basic understanding of the game, our central defenders were taking the ball almost on the six-yard box. The opposition forwards moved on to pressurise our defenders, leaving gaps in midfield for Doidge, Boyle, Youan and Vente to run into to accept the pass. The full-backs being the outball, if the pass into the middle of the park wasn't on. Worked well for most of the time, but wonder what the boo boys at Easter Road will make of it.

There were a few shouts of "stop fa**ying about. Get it out of there!" Cannae win, eh?

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2023, 01:12 PM
There were a few shouts of "stop fa**ying about. Get it out of there!" Cannae win, eh?

that's how Leeds played yesterday and i must admit i was 'ffs stop fa**ying about at the back' a few times :greengrin

though i am aware it's to try tempt the opposition to come play further up a tad to create space :)

Since452
18-09-2023, 01:27 PM
I wonder if we'll see an improvement in Levitt when he returns to the team? I know he was playing catch up as it was anyway but he may suit NM's system better than LJ's.

Silky
18-09-2023, 01:39 PM

And therein lies the issue which, ultimately, will see Montgomery's demise over time. Some fans just can't, or won't, accept that way of playing. You hear it all the time in Easter Road "get it up the park". Folk talk about playing "the Hibs way", I actually think, judging by the amount of times I hear it, that this "Hibs way" is, actually to "stop fannying about and get it up the park"!!

B.H.F.C
18-09-2023, 02:19 PM
And therein lies the issue which, ultimately, will see Montgomery's demise over time. Some fans just can't, or won't, accept that way of playing. You hear it all the time in Easter Road "get it up the park". Folk talk about playing "the Hibs way", I actually think, judging by the amount of times I hear it, that this "Hibs way" is, actually to "stop fannying about and get it up the park"!!

What a load of nonsense. If there ever is any demise, it’ll be because he’s no been getting results, the same as the rest of them who end up getting the sack.

If we are playing football like we played in the first half on Saturday, the crowd will be very appreciative of it. If we routinely give the ball away and it cost us goals and points then of course there will be grumbles.

Donegal Hibby
18-09-2023, 04:26 PM
I put this on the match thread though maybe I should have put it on here . Interesting article on our tactics on Saturday.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tactics-zone-montgomery-brings-his-mariners-plan-a-to-hibs-4339873

Green Reaper
18-09-2023, 04:42 PM
I put this on the match thread though maybe I should have put it on here . Interesting article on our tactics on Saturday.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tactics-zone-montgomery-brings-his-mariners-plan-a-to-hibs-4339873
Thanks, interesting read indeed

jacomo
18-09-2023, 05:24 PM
What a load of nonsense. If there ever is any demise, it’ll be because he’s no been getting results, the same as the rest of them who end up getting the sack.

If we are playing football like we played in the first half on Saturday, the crowd will be very appreciative of it. If we routinely give the ball away and it cost us goals and points then of course there will be grumbles.

It’s not nonsense, unfortunately.

The coach’s job is to be strong and get the squad to buy into his plan, and ignore the more panicked voices from the stands. That will get the majority onside.

Broken Gnome
18-09-2023, 05:28 PM
I'm not questioning Vente directly, but would love to know how - or at least how unhappy they end up being - when of all the clubs they could be transferred to, a player ends up as part of a playing style they have no time for.

Strikes me that often it can't be what they signed up for, whether it's those recruitment materials Hibs offer new players being totally at odds with what the manager actually dredges up.

Cat Stanton
18-09-2023, 05:39 PM
I was 50/50 with LJ but after reading that I’m
Glad he’s gone.

Can’t believe he was a long ball merchant.

Vente must’ve been greeting after hearing that was his new team’s tactics.

You can't believe Johnson was a long ball merchant? Not having a go (honest!) but have you watched any of the games recently? That's all we did!

Cat Stanton
18-09-2023, 05:44 PM
I'm not questioning Vente directly, but would love to know how - or at least how unhappy they end up being - when of all the clubs they could be transferred to, a player ends up as part of a playing style they have no time for.

Strikes me that often it can't be what they signed up for, whether it's those recruitment materials Hibs offer new players being totally at odds with what the manager actually dredges up.

I think in most European leagues, the players try and pass the ball to each other. That's not what Johnson had them doing (unless you count the start of each "move" when the centre-halves passed it to each other a couple of times before the inevitable 60 yard hoof).

Since452
18-09-2023, 05:47 PM
You can't believe Johnson was a long ball merchant? Not having a go (honest!) but have you watched any of the games recently? That's all we did!

To be fair I don't think he was, definitely not last season anyway. We were good and bad last season but wouldn't say we were a long ball team. It appeared we were more of one this season though, especially at Motherwell. LJ came out after and said he was angry at the team for launching the ball up the park. Strange one.

B.H.F.C
18-09-2023, 05:48 PM
It’s not nonsense, unfortunately.

The coach’s job is to be strong and get the squad to buy into his plan, and ignore the more panicked voices from the stands. That will get the majority onside.

Absolutely, but the poster I quoted said those panicked voices would lead to Monty’s downfall. That’s just no true, it’s having a pop at a support for something that hasn’t even happened! The only thing that will lead to that is not getting results.

On Saturday of course there were a few shouts at varying points. When you’ve chucked away a two goal lead and the goalie gets the ball charged down in the 90th minute, of course there is going to be a bit of a reaction. But, on the whole, the reaction was positive on Saturday, even at full time having chucked away a two goal lead pretty much everyone stood and applauded the team.

Lago
18-09-2023, 06:00 PM
We done it very well for an hour or so on Saturday. Now it’s about getting that level of play across the full 90 or at least being able to manage the game properly when going ahead
Good to know :aok:

H18 SFR
18-09-2023, 07:14 PM
The quicker JDH is fit the better. He will thrive under what looks like Monty’s preferred style of play.

Cat Stanton
18-09-2023, 07:53 PM
To be fair I don't think he was, definitely not last season anyway. We were good and bad last season but wouldn't say we were a long ball team. It appeared we were more of one this season though, especially at Motherwell. LJ came out after and said he was angry at the team for launching the ball up the park. Strange one.

Something changed, but it was well before this season. To be fair, I remember being at St.Johnstone for the opening game of last season and we played decent, on the deck, football. But not that many games later we seemed to be continually pumping it long in the hope that it might drop to Boyle (before he was injured) or Youan. Second half of last season and certainly just about every game this season has been long-ball-murder. Desperate stuff at times.

Unseen work
18-09-2023, 08:11 PM
The quicker JDH is fit the better. He will thrive under what looks like Monty’s preferred style of play.

Think I’ve heard this about JDH for the past 3 managers we’ve brought in.

I think he’s a good player, but he needs to stay fit for more than one month.

matty_f
18-09-2023, 10:22 PM

Was there not a game this season (St Mirren at home, maybe) where Johnson basically said after the game that he had to take the decision making out of the players’ hands because he wanted them to go long and they weren’t doing it?

JimBHibees
19-09-2023, 05:55 AM
Think I’ve heard this about JDH for the past 3 managers we’ve brought in.

I think he’s a good player, but he needs to stay fit for more than one month.

Yep his fitness record is so poor.

JimBHibees
19-09-2023, 05:56 AM
Was there not a game this season (St Mirren at home, maybe) where Johnson basically said after the game that he had to take the decision making out of the players’ hands because he wanted them to go long and they weren’t doing it?

All we did secondhalf against St Mirren was pump it to Doidge. Scored a couple of decent goals though.

Hibee Mac
19-09-2023, 07:14 AM
We absolutely were a hoofball team by the end of LJs time here

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Up-the-slope
19-09-2023, 10:39 AM
Does make me wonder about role / influence of first team coach? I guess there is a role in developing general fitness / technique - but the formation and tactics surely come from Manager / Head Coach. How does that work when you were not part of appointed team developing style / way of playing (rather than those who say are physio's / condition coach's / nutritionists who can more readily cross over with new 1st team management & coaching) But are having to pass on a dictated style / tactics / way of playing etc?

If I was in a role of responsibility and the more senior person constantly wanted the job done in a way I thought was not how it should be done... I would (and have) spoken up for it to be done a different way (and in one case ultimately and fairly shortly into a senior job I left as I had no respect for the way in which director worked / wanted things done)

So how has SDG managed under such differing Managers / Head coaches without leaving / being let go?

I have said on one thread that thought New Head coach and him doing dinner in first few days in the door was really interesting

Nicho87
19-09-2023, 10:50 AM
Sorry if already discussed but the new reporter on EEN has a 5 min video about hibs new tactics. Decent watch.

Discusses wingers coming in narrow etc and going towards the danger when attacking. Quite decent stuff I thought anyway.