PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady on Open Goal

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 01:03 PM
Plenty of hibs content from an hour in for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/5kyXWNISjfI?si=d8w2Z8lBnuLko-I8

Skip to 1:12:00 to avoid all the nonsense.

JohnM1875
13-09-2023, 01:08 PM
Plenty of hibs content from an hour in for anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/5kyXWNISjfI?si=d8w2Z8lBnuLko-I8

Skip to 1:12:00 to avoid all the nonsense.

What a legend! Was interested in this but couldn't face all the pish before the Hibs stuff, so thanks!

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 01:19 PM
What a legend! Was interested in this but couldn't face all the pish before the Hibs stuff, so thanks!

No worries mate 👍

KWJ
13-09-2023, 02:50 PM
Was a bit more beef on the bone compare the PLZ interview. Positive stuff on DG.

Thanks for finding the time for it, I watched the first 15 minutes or so but it's a really tough slog. They are all just talking over each other and the sound quality is really poor which is surprising for how long it's been going now.

I do miss the old format of just Si Ferry having 1 on 1 interviews with Scottish players and managers.

Jones28
13-09-2023, 02:55 PM
Was a bit more beef on the bone compare the PLZ interview. Positive stuff on DG.

Thanks for finding the time for it, I watched the first 15 minutes or so but it's a really tough slog. They are all just talking over each other and the sound quality is really poor which is surprising for how long it's been going now.

I do miss the old format of just Si Ferry having 1 on 1 interviews with Scottish players and managers.

So much better. The ones he did with O'Connor etc were much much better.

JohnM1875
13-09-2023, 03:04 PM

Same, but I actually think Ferry is the biggest throbber out the lot of them now. Used to think it was Slaney, but he's pretty reserved now and it's always Si Ferry trying to slag him or egg him on. Turned into a right tit.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 03:42 PM

No worries at all mate 👍

Aye it's a hard listen these days now Si takes his wee lacky slane everywhere with him the old format was well better. I get snakey vibes from McGeady I must say.

The best open goal show is the one with McFadden and Derek Ferguson at the moment imo.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Same, but I actually think Ferry is the biggest throbber out the lot of them now. Used to think it was Slaney, but he's pretty reserved now and it's always Si Ferry trying to slag him or egg him on. Turned into a right tit.

He actually is mate 😂 adds nothing to it these days. Just buts in and slags slane every 5 minutes he's actually holding the show back imo.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 03:47 PM

Totally agree genuinely struggle to understand most of what they are actually saying and the banter and Kyle and Slaney are torture. Really enjoyed the interviews should bring them back with Ferry alone.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 03:49 PM
He actually is mate 😂 adds nothing to it these days. Just buts in and slags slane every 5 minutes he's actually holding the show back imo.

Never really watch any of it but may as well rename it Dumb and dumber if Ferry was to leave. :greengrin

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 03:53 PM
Never really watch any of it but may as well rename it Dumb and dumber if Ferry was to leave. :greengrin

Aye definitely 😂 or Turner and hooch. McFadden is always a good listen they should give him ferries job

dp00
13-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Halliday is actually decent too , if they stuck to the football and didn’t talk over each other and do daft jokes it would easily be best podcast in Scotland

I guess they are still pulling in the listeners tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
13-09-2023, 04:31 PM

Si is horederlime unbearable now.

One 12 month stint in the lowland league and now he thinks he’s Pep.

Every conversation results in him saying what he would do or what a team should do.

Once a show he will without a doubt say “what’s their identity? I don’t know what they’re trying to do” just if a team doesn’t play out from the back or do what he considers the right thing to do.

JohnM1875
13-09-2023, 04:37 PM

Every conversation results in him saying what he would do or what a team should do.

Once a show he will without a doubt say “what’s their identity? I don’t know what they’re trying to do” just if a team doesn’t play out from the back or do what he considers the right thing to do.

Aw you're spot on with the identity stuff! Can't believe how much of a walloper he's turned into. Shame cause it used to be class.

Halliday is actually decent too , if they stuck to the football and didn’t talk over each other and do daft jokes it would easily be best podcast in Scotland

I guess they are still pulling in the listeners tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree about Halliday. Seems like a decent guy and think he talks well about football.

DH1875
13-09-2023, 04:49 PM
McGeady calling out Johnson and saying he's supposed to be head coach but didn't do much coaching and that Johnson done a lot more coaching at Sunderland makes for an interesting listen.

Carheenlea
13-09-2023, 05:36 PM
I’ve not watched it, and not just because I’m not a viewer of that show, but more I don’t really think of McGeady as a former Hibs player. I was excited by the signing at the time but he left us nothing of note to reflect on which is a shame, but with hindsight maybe not a huge surprise.

Stubbsy90+2
13-09-2023, 06:04 PM
Interesting to hear McGeady questioning the clubs methods when it comes to injuries and the training load.

Loads of people on here have had a pop at me and a couple of others for suggesting there has to be more than bad luck behind it and that something had to be looked at at the club. Can’t help injuries etc was the cry but if you’re running 36 year olds into the ground every session then I’d suggest things absolutely could be done better.

13-09-2023, 07:05 PM
Interesting to hear McGeady questioning the clubs methods when it comes to injuries and the training load.

Loads of people on here have had a pop at me and a couple of others for suggesting there has to be more than bad luck behind it and that something had to be looked at at the club. Can’t help injuries etc was the cry but if you’re running 36 year olds into the ground every session then I’d suggest things absolutely could be done better.

Within it he also said David Gray started asking if he was alright to train and if he wanted to do the full sessions. Also admits that it was optional and for the session they were told they could do as much as they want. He does mention that nobody wants to pull out of training, as if he felt he didn't really have the option to stop but I'm not buying that. He's no shrinking violet that wouldn't say anything and besides, his next sentence was to say he chose to stop after 15-20 minutes of crossing and finishing.

I think he's at it. He doesn't want to admit it was just down his body. He was grumbling a couple of weeks ago about something Johnson said about his injuries so now it seems like he's heavily hinting it was Johnson's fault.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-09-2023, 10:37 PM
Within it he also said David Gray started asking if he was alright to train and if he wanted to do the full sessions. Also admits that it was optional and for the session they were told they could do as much as they want. He does mention that nobody wants to pull out of training, as if he felt he didn't really have the option to stop but I'm not buying that. He's no shrinking violet that wouldn't say anything and besides, his next sentence was to say he chose to stop after 15-20 minutes of crossing and finishing.

I think he's at it. He doesn't want to admit it was just down his body. He was grumbling a couple of weeks ago about something Johnson said about his injuries so now it seems like he's heavily hinting it was Johnson's fault.

Serious questi9n: would a non-tabloid journo allow Mr Tumble to take a cheap shot at LJ without questioning ? And therein mibbie lies the problem. Non-nournos / podcasters will look for a scoop/controversy over a bit of robust questioning…

13-09-2023, 10:41 PM
Serious questi9n: would a non-tabloid journo allow Mr Tumble to take a cheap shot at LJ without questioning ?

Don't know but I'm glad we didn't renew his contract.

Since452
14-09-2023, 05:50 AM
How's he getting on at Ayr? Noticed they've lost 3 out of 4 and are 2nd bottom.

macca70
14-09-2023, 07:04 AM
McGeady’s never had a good word to say about hibs, he’s been on before moaning about the travel and how the training center was away across other side of edinburgh when travelling in from the west.

He’s blaming hibs coaches for his hamstring injury, saying that on the Thursday before the game he was trained too hard and he shouldn’t have been training as hard as 19 yr olds. Although, he contradicts himself by saying there was a session that voluntary therefore if he felt his body was struggling, he could have sat out it but HE chose not too.

Just comes across as really sneaky and 2 faced anytime he talks about hibs.

Open goal do a Tuesday and Thursday episode. The Thursday 1 is really good, McFadden and Derek Ferguson on it every week and discuss the weekend games.

macca70
14-09-2023, 07:07 AM

They have started doing them again, there was 1 that came out this week, I think it was with Stephen Robinson

https://youtu.be/exsDIJDfUAE?si=36CleSa_5Xjvs9OM

Since452
14-09-2023, 07:15 AM
McGeady’s never had a good word to say about hibs, he’s been on before moaning about the travel and how the training center was away across other side of edinburgh when travelling in from the west.

He’s blaming hibs coaches for his hamstring injury, saying that on the Thursday before the game he was trained too hard and he shouldn’t have been training as hard as 19 yr olds. Although, he contradicts himself by saying there was a session that voluntary therefore if he felt his body was struggling, he could have sat out it but HE chose not too.

Open goal do a Tuesday and Thursday episode. The Thursday 1 is really good, McFadden and Derek Ferguson on it every week and discuss the weekend games.

:agree: Also said if he wasn't released he wouldn't have signed a new contract anyway. For some reason he just comes across as bitter.

Renfrew_Hibby
14-09-2023, 07:21 AM
Be another media pundit in the future all to ready to stick the boot into Hibs in years to come.

Unseen work
14-09-2023, 07:39 AM

Agree, contradicts himself on several occasions throughout.

One minute saying his injuries are from training too much for his age, the next they’re unlucky injuries that could happen to a 19 year old.

Essentially, everyone is to blame but McGeady.

He puts alot up in the air without much substance to back it up at all, just chucks aimless comments like “ there were things I never liked”.

Praises David gray at times and says he would ask him if he’s fine to train yet 30 seconds before says he was always training and no one would monitor it.

Since452
14-09-2023, 07:45 AM

"Identity" seems to be the buzz word in Scottish football just now. We've had Michael Stewart banging on about it and Tam McManus going on about it today in his article.

JimBHibees
14-09-2023, 07:51 AM

He is also a highly experienced player who should know his body and if he thought it was too much would have said. Don't see a huge issue with a half pitch game then some crossing and finishing two days before a game. Friday would no doubt be light where he would have been able to do loads of stretches and muscle massages etc if he wanted them.

Agree seems to a number of vague moans without really saying anything.

.Sean.
14-09-2023, 07:57 AM
I’m in a minority as most folk my age seem to love it, but I honestly cannot stand Open Goal. A bunch of look at me fuds, with Paul Slane as King Fud, which considering you’ve got a barely literate sheep ****ging Jambo, and Andy Halliday and his wig on his panel, takes some doing. And that’s before you need to look at McGeady’s soor, slapped arse cheek puss

easty
14-09-2023, 08:02 AM
McGeady is an ********. He was an ******** 15 years ago. He was an ******** just before he came to Hibs. He’s an ******** today.

He’s as old firm as they come, everyone’s oot to get me and it’s all everyone else’s fault for everything

Didnae want us to sign him in the first place, and the little he did here will be quickly forgotten.

Craig_HFC
14-09-2023, 08:43 AM
I’m in a minority as most folk my age seem to love it, but I honestly cannot stand Open Goal. A bunch of look at me fuds, with Paul Slane as King Fud, which considering you’ve got a barely literate sheep ****ging Jambo, and Andy Halliday and his wig on his panel, takes some doing. And that’s before you need to look at McGeady’s soor, slapped arse cheek puss

Bang on. It’s some achievement to have a panel where Halliday comes across as the most likeable.

Since452
14-09-2023, 08:45 AM

I can't stand it either. Could tolerate Si Ferry on his own (just). Slane is just nippy.

Carheenlea
14-09-2023, 08:54 AM

Each to their own, but this sounds like it could be the worst football show in the history of broadcasting!

14-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Ahhh, the Glesga banter....I just don't get it.

sauzeelegod
14-09-2023, 09:00 AM

I’m with you. Horrendous show.

green day
14-09-2023, 09:11 AM
The show and Ferry / Slaney are absolutely horrendous.

Almost unlistenable.

Aiden McGeady was actually a good listen and speaks well.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-09-2023, 09:42 AM
McGeady speaks without thinking. Which, frighteningly, is preferable to him thinking before speaking.

That particular episode, and its inhabitants, looked and sounded like the dying embers of a house party at 6am when the gear was wearing off and the last of the alcohol had been consumed.

DH1875
14-09-2023, 12:12 PM
:agree: Also said if he wasn't released he wouldn't have signed a new contract anyway. For some reason he just comes across as bitter.

He doesn't say that though. Actually said if he was fitter and played more last season he'd have seen himself at Hibs this season.

jeffers
14-09-2023, 12:55 PM
No fan of McGeady, never have been, but not getting why he’s getting slaughtered for what he said.

He felt some things at the club weren’t right, which hardly comes as any surprise. He said Johnson did less coaching than he’d done at Sunderland, didn’t criticise him for that, just that he did less. He talked about training sessions, said in hindsight that the hard session prior to the game he picked up his hamstring injury may have been a contributing factor. Guaranteed if he’d come out and said he should have done less training than other players he’d have been criticised for wanting special treatment.

Iain G
14-09-2023, 12:58 PM

You should be running the NHS then.

the_ginger_hibee
14-09-2023, 03:27 PM

Amen. If their videos pop up somewhere or a link is passed about, I like to click on it & test myself to see how long I can get through. I know all is right with the world when it inevitably goes off after less than a minute. Almost like a taste litmus test.

McD
14-09-2023, 03:37 PM
I am no fan of McGeady at all, but I don’t think he says anything too bad here, beyond there was things happening at the club he didn’t like. Given what we’ve been hearing recently, I don’t think that’s too surprising, he talks himself into a bit of a fankle when he says training was optional then said he felt it was a bit much.

What I will say is about the whole thing in general, is that it’s a struggle to understand what’s being said some of the time, between all of them talking over each other, especially Ferry who seems to feel he must make some kind of noise every 10 seconds or so, and the weegie accents overlapping making it hard to understand. Sound quality isn’t amazing either.

Stubbsy90+2
14-09-2023, 04:01 PM
You should be running the NHS then.

There he is.

I expect you’ll hold yourself to the same high standards and not bother discussing football until you’ve got your pro licence and a job managing a top club.

Iain G
14-09-2023, 04:48 PM
There he is.

I expect you’ll hold yourself to the same high standards and not bother discussing football until you’ve got your pro licence and a job managing a top club.

Hi Doctor Nick!

LewysGot2
14-09-2023, 05:07 PM
Ahhh, the Glesga banter....I just don't get it.

See when they all start yapping, I can't even follow half of it, so I cannae, so it was, so I did.

Iain G
14-09-2023, 05:31 PM
McGeady calling out Johnson and saying he's supposed to be head coach but didn't do much coaching and that Johnson done a lot more coaching at Sunderland makes for an interesting listen.

Maybe we could call out McGeady as a good signing but that never materialised? We should never have signed him, biggest mistake LJ made.

HarpOnHibee
14-09-2023, 05:55 PM

It may be voluntary, but there may also be an element of peer pressure involved. He was perhaps worried about letting the side down by not keeping up in training or not being selected on match day if he wasn't training to the same level as the younger players. We don't know all of the in's and out's so it's hard to say for sure. But it may have been the case that he felt that he had to over exert himself in order to maintain relevance in the main squad.

IberianHibernian
14-09-2023, 09:16 PM
It`s hard to think of any positives from last season since even qualifying for Europe in 5th place was bittersweet ( scraped into top 6 and then should have made 4th or even 3rd ) but youth team doing well in Europe would be one positive . Another I remember was the quality McGeady showed in the few matches he played whether in flashes in the pre league matches ( LC and friendly v Norwich before injury ) or later in season when he was a class above anything else we had and brought out the best in the team . A joy to watch and I`m glad such a great player was able to wear the famous Hibernian green . A few comments here like " never been a fan of McGeady but " as though people have to apologise for liking him . Can only speculate about what it`s about as we hadn`t had such a talented player for many years but some let their prejudices show even before he arrived at our club . A bit like with Lennon when he arrived or any other time there have been rumours of a return .

silverhibee
14-09-2023, 09:23 PM
Deek’s on the show tomorrow night.

Shearer
14-09-2023, 09:31 PM
Have only seen it a couple of times but it’s an absolutely amateur show, like most things to do with Scottish football coverage. That other show PLZ soccer is even worse, the one with Peter Martin (horrendous presenter) and Roughie🙄 it’s so amateur it’s laughable.
It’s even worse when you watch some of the English Premiership coverage from Sky Sports, The Overlap and the Talksport clips with Simin Jordan etc. The gulf in quality between the two are frightening

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 12:46 AM
Hi Doctor Nick!

Doctor Nick ? More like mystic Meg ! 😂

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2023, 05:06 AM
It`s hard to think of any positives from last season since even qualifying for Europe in 5th place was bittersweet ( scraped into top 6 and then should have made 4th or even 3rd ) but youth team doing well in Europe would be one positive . Another I remember was the quality McGeady showed in the few matches he played whether in flashes in the pre league matches ( LC and friendly v Norwich before injury ) or later in season when he was a class above anything else we had and brought out the best in the team . A joy to watch and I`m glad such a great player was able to wear the famous Hibernian green . A few comments here like " never been a fan of McGeady but " as though people have to apologise for liking him . Can only speculate about what it`s about as we hadn`t had such a talented player for many years but some let their prejudices show even before he arrived at our club . A bit like with Lennon when he arrived or any other time there have been rumours of a return .

McGeady on song was totally unplayable for us pace and quick feet possibly the best player in the league just couldn’t stay fit

The Bonnyrigg defenders described him as being on a different level though I appreciate that’s a drop in class but not far from the truth of it

As you say a joy to watch

Would be interesting to hear his take on his time at Hibs warts and all

Sounds like LJ dropped the ball compared to his time at the Black Cats ?

Alex Trager
15-09-2023, 06:20 AM
McGeady on song was totally unplayable for us pace and quick feet possibly the best player in the league just couldn’t stay fit

The Bonnyrigg defenders described him as being on a different level though I appreciate that’s a drop in class but not far from the truth of it

McGeady got 0 goals and maybe 1 assist during his time here. I would say it is stretching it quite a bit to say he was unplayable.

flash
15-09-2023, 06:32 AM

Think he went past about 2 players and put maybe 3 crosses in for his entire stay with us so can't help but think you are overstating his contribution.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2023, 08:10 AM
McGeady played 9 league games for us averaging 56 minutes 0 goals and 2 assists

A blind man running for a bus could see the guy was quality had pace quick feet looked as though he knew what he was doing not just hoping for the best and looked our best player as I said he could not stay fit and was obviously past his best but offered something different upfront and had something to offer at our level albeit he was on borrowed time

A gamble that did not work and yes you would expect more from our no doubt considerable financial outlay

That one is down to LJ who obviously had faith in the guy

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 08:11 AM
"Identity" seems to be the buzz word in Scottish football just now. We've had Michael Stewart banging on about it and Tam McManus going on about it today in his article.

And no-one knows what they mean by it.

easty
15-09-2023, 08:59 AM

:faf:

Behave.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2023, 09:04 AM
:faf:

Behave.

😂

Unseen work
15-09-2023, 09:27 PM
https://x.com/ayrunitedfc/status/1702740338610143733?s=46&t=jmxs-mZWT_cnYbURW-GKJw

Wonder what the excuse is this time.

WestCoastHibby
16-09-2023, 05:09 AM
And no-one knows what they mean by it.
Absolutely. The only thing Hibs need to “identify “ is more goals than the opposition