PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

Pages : [1] 2

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Having just watched the excellent, and intelligent, Get the Edge interview, (see the Videos thread), I think we're going to see a lot of Josh Campbell this season.

I think he's exactly the type of player NM wants in his teams, high energy, great fitness and total commitment, and I think Josh will come on in leaps and bounds.

I don't remember seeing NM as a player, but from his remarks, Josh and him sound like peas in a pod.

S4uzee
12-09-2023, 10:40 AM
If Montgomery plays 4-4-2, it would be criminal to have Campbell as one of the two in CM. If we want to improve, having Campbell as a starter won’t see us do that

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 10:47 AM
If Montgomery plays 4-4-2, it would be criminal to have Campbell as one of the two in CM. If we want to improve, having Campbell as a starter won’t see us do that

100% agree. Mo farah can run for miles & so can Usain Bolt they both however are also colin nish at football like Campbell.

If we are to play a 4-4-2 it's Levitt and Newell in the middle all day for me.

lyonhibs
12-09-2023, 10:48 AM

Absolutely. I'd run for miles and miles in a Hibs strip, wouldn't make up for my glaring technical deficencies with a ball at my feet - the same applies to Campbell (until we play Aberdeen, he can start then)

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2023, 10:50 AM
:agree: In a 4-4-2, the middle midfielders need to be able to control the ball well and pass the ball well, Campbell at the moment does neither.

We'd be weak in midfield if he was one of a 4 in my opinion.

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 10:50 AM
Having just watched the excellent, and intelligent, Get the Edge interview, (see the Videos thread), I think we're going to see a lot of Josh Campbell this season.

I think he's exactly the type of player NM wants in his teams, high energy, great fitness and total commitment, and I think Josh will come on in leaps and bounds.

I don't remember seeing NM as a player, but from his remarks, Josh and him sound like peas in a pod.

Montgomery was a box to box grafter.

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 10:53 AM
100% agree. Mo farah can run for miles & so can Usain Bolt they both however are also colin nish at football like Campbell.

Don't really disagree re Josh better suited not to two in the middle however he is a regular top league performer and is a good player for us. Harsh as

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Don't really disagree re Josh better suited not to two in the middle however he is a regular top league performer and is a good player for us. Harsh as

Each to their own mate. I just think we have players who are better technically in the middle than him and we should use them.

BILLYHIBS
12-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Has looked off it this season so far but has still chipped in with 3:9 goals

Need to put a line through his poor performance versus St Mirren and put it down to carrying an injury

Everyone starts with a clean slate and hopefully Monty can get him back on track firing on all cylinders

Still think there is a player in there

WeeRussell
12-09-2023, 11:01 AM
Each to their own mate. I just think we have players who are better technically in the middle than him and we should use them.

I agree with this post but not your earlier one saying Campbell is pish at football.

wookie70
12-09-2023, 11:03 AM
Each to their own mate. I just think we have players who are better technically in the middle than him and we should use them. We do but they don't score many or create that many either. It all depends on how Montgomery wants to set up and Josh will be an important part of the squad whatever formation and style if chosen purely for his energy, gola involvements and commitment

Tambo
12-09-2023, 11:09 AM
Newell and Levitt did put in an excellent performance together vs Luzern as a two, I do understand it was a bigger occasion than say Ross county at home for an example.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2023, 11:12 AM

Nah, Monty scored 9 goals in 12 seasons. Midfield grafter, sort of upgrade on Brian Hamilton type. Not a goalscorer.

A lot of work to be done on Josh, touch and speed of moving the ball not good enough yet.

Skol
12-09-2023, 11:13 AM
The modern day Brian Hamilton ?

Donegal Hibby
12-09-2023, 11:19 AM

Disagree tbh , there's certain games I'd certainly play Campbell in a 4-4-2 in , like at home against a team sitting in against us . Josh Campbell is still our best chance of a goal from Midfield. I certainly have him in before JDH tbh .

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 11:21 AM
Nah, Monty scored 9 goals in 12 seasons. Midfield grafter, sort of upgrade on Brian Hamilton type. Not a goalscorer.

A lot of work to be done on Josh, touch and speed of moving the ball not good enough yet.

I meant the work ethic and commitment. Neither NM or Josh are the most technically skillled of players, but both will pull up trees for you.

That's a valuable asset.

easty
12-09-2023, 11:24 AM
Disagree tbh , there's certain games I'd certainly play Campbell in a 4-4-2 in , like at home against a team sitting in against us . Josh Campbell is still our best chance of a goal from Midfield. I certainly have him in before JDH tbh .

Not for me, at all.

When we’re up against a team sitting in, I’m looking for midfielders to create something. Campbell never creates anything.

I’d use Campbell against Rangers and Celtc. He’s a worker, great engine.

Smartie
12-09-2023, 11:26 AM
If we’re to play 442 from the start of games and do it justice, we’re going to need one, possibly 2 new central midfielders.

We’ll get murdered trying that with our current crop.

It may be that NM will want to play that way eventually but if he’s going to last long enough to get his own players in then he’s going to have to be fairly pragmatic - and realise it’s not happening straight away.

The Modfather
12-09-2023, 11:36 AM
If we’re to play 442 from the start of games and do it justice, we’re going to need one, possibly 2 new central midfielders.

We’ll get murdered trying that with our current crop.

It may be that NM will want to play that way eventually but if he’s going to last long enough to get his own players in then he’s going to have to be fairly pragmatic - and realise it’s not happening straight away.

That’s how I see it too. For this season, with the players he has it’s 451/433. Jeggo, Newell & Levitt furthest forward IMO. Boyle, Youan & Vente. We also have two defensive, and limited, full backs in Stevenson & Miller who would likely imbalance a 442 as well IMO.

bingo70
12-09-2023, 11:40 AM

I don’t think Campbell is good enough to be a central midfielder. I think all his best work has been playing in an advanced role and got into dangerous positions well.

IMO Campbell is better suited to playing as a number 10 off another front man, if he’s to make it under NM it’ll be in that position I think.

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 11:43 AM
I agree with this post but not your earlier one saying Campbell is pish at football.

That's the beauty of us all having our own opinions mate 👍

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 11:47 AM
We do but they don't score many or create that many either. It all depends on how Montgomery wants to set up and Josh will be an important part of the squad whatever formation and style if chosen purely for his energy, gola involvements and commitment

If we're playing with two strikers and Youan and Boyle down the wings I'm not really fussed about our centre mids goal contributions to be honest. That's more than enough fire power to destroy most teams in this league. If it is to be 2 in the middle I want my two to be able to play make and create opportunities for our attackers.

It'll be interesting to see how Montgomery has us lined up on Saturday.

Shrekko
12-09-2023, 11:47 AM
I was previously a big defender of Campbell and really thought he was coming on to a game last season which delighted me. Unfortunately, I’m now extremely frustrated with his performances, and I don’t think he offers anywhere near as much as he should be especially when the going is tough.

I don’t expect all midfielders to be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck but I like to see guys show the sort of bravery that Jeggo has done in the last couple of weeks and try and do what they can to make an impact. To me JC is doing a lot of running but not really getting close to anyone and his use of the ball is pretty conservative considering he does have the ability to ping the ball around when things are going well. Could also do with a little less theatrics and arm waving.

RyeSloan
12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
I was previously a big defender of Campbell and really thought he was coming on to a game last season which delighted me. Unfortunately, I’m now extremely frustrated with his performances, and I don’t think he offers anywhere near as much as he should be especially when the going is tough.

I don’t expect all midfielders to be able to take the game by the scruff of the neck but I like to see guys show the sort of bravery that Jeggo has done in the last couple of weeks and try and do what they can to make an impact. To me JC is doing a lot of running but not really getting close to anyone and his use of the ball is pretty conservative considering he does have the ability to ping the ball around when things are going well. Could also do with a little less theatrics and arm waving.

Different managers can get different things from players, that’s the beauty of management.

Josh really seems to divide opinion at the best of times but I think those writing him off are doing him a bit of a disservice.

The OP is spot on in my opinion, I think Josh has a number of attributes that will be right up NM’s street and it will be interesting to see if and how he uses him over the season.

Centre Hawf
12-09-2023, 11:58 AM
He was one of our biggest goal threats last season and has shown at times he still is this season, I would back him to hit double digits again in all comps if he plays enough. He's a good player with some limitations (he's not as technical as Newell and Levitt) but he can press and play in the final third like they two can. Delighted to have him as an option at the club.

Shrekko
12-09-2023, 12:10 PM
Different managers can get different things from players, that’s the beauty of management.

Josh really seems to divide opinion at the best of times but I think those writing him off are doing him a bit of a disservice.

The OP is spot on in my opinion, I think Josh has a number of attributes that will be right up NM’s street and it will be interesting to see if and how he uses him over the season.

I certainly wasn't writing him off as I also believe he has a lot of ability and many potential attributes. Just think he has had a longish run of not showing enough if what he has.

A Hi-Bee
12-09-2023, 12:11 PM
I is very sure that our new manager will get the best out of all our players, the ones that cannot reach what he wants in performance will move on, simples.

theonlywayisup
12-09-2023, 12:20 PM

IMO Josh looks knackered from the very first few minutes after kick-off. I'm not fully convinced that he's actually 100% fit, but is being played because we've very few alternatives. As has been mentioned before, we don't have that many options in midfield and he's in a minority of one when it comes to goal threat. I'd keep him out of the team until he's back to full fitness, as without his energy he's not really contributing.

Good player IMO.

Brightside
12-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Campbell is absolutely fine. A good squad player who will continue to have plenty of minutes under this manager.

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 12:23 PM

I said I agreed wouldn't play him in a two just found your criticism a little ott

Donegal Hibby
12-09-2023, 12:44 PM
Not for me, at all.

When we’re up against a team sitting in, I’m looking for midfielders to create something. Campbell never creates anything.

I’d use Campbell against Rangers and Celtc. He’s a worker, great engine.

Josh Campbell gets into good areas in the attacking part of the field and his work rates excellent . Don't think he's a creative Midfielder right enough , probably only had 4 or 5 assist's last year . Apart from Levitt who I not seen enough of, do we actually have a creative Midfielder at the minute ? .

Rangers sat in last year against us though Josh found a way . He's more capable of this than our other midfielders . Does abit of everything here .
https://youtu.be/-lUNS2Tz60E?si=9Br-8KL2SYPIiWbG

tamig
12-09-2023, 12:50 PM
Josh Campbell has all the physical attributes but his football intelligence is sadly lacking. He makes good runs, can arrive Pat McGinlay style into the box but his passing and decision making are lacking. If that can be coached into him - fantastic. But his lack of basic technical ability is not something you could carry in a midfield two. At the moment.

Smartie
12-09-2023, 01:00 PM
IMO Josh looks knackered from the very first few minutes after kick-off. I'm not fully convinced that he's actually 100% fit, but is being played because we've very few alternatives. As has been mentioned before, we don't have that many options in midfield and he's in a minority of one when it comes to goal threat. I'd keep him out of the team until he's back to full fitness, as without his energy he's not really contributing.

Good player IMO.

I agree that he doesn't look fit to me, like he's carrying an injury.

He's a good player when fit and he's been doing fine for us even when not.

I like that he's different to our other midfielders.

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 01:34 PM
I agree that he doesn't look fit to me, like he's carrying an injury.

He's a good player when fit and he's been doing fine for us even when not.

I like that he's different to our other midfielders.

Agree looks like he is carrying something. Sure LJ alluded to it in lucern away game about needing to ask Josh for a favour to play through injury.

Centre Hawf
12-09-2023, 01:42 PM
Agree looks like he is carrying something. Sure LJ alluded to it in lucern away game about needing to ask Josh for a favour to play through injury.

You could see in some games earlier this season he was playing strapped up. Definitely think he's played through something and is still feeling it.

MWHIBBIES
12-09-2023, 01:45 PM
He is so, so poor on the ball. There is just no denying this. His touch and control is awful, passing very poor.

Offers a bit of chaos and a few goals but I think we need better.

J-C
12-09-2023, 02:58 PM
One thing of note is Gray has been credited with the improvement in Josh's game, he's being doing a lot of one on one sessions with him this past year, another very good reason for having Gray involved in the coaching set up.

Brightside
12-09-2023, 03:00 PM
He is so, so poor on the ball. There is just no denying this. His touch and control is awful, passing very poor.

Damned with faint praise indeed eh. His work rate is top level. Its why he gets picked to play even when not fit. He closes down and also creates further opportuniteis for us to regain possession.

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 03:26 PM

Don’t think he is anywhere near as bad as that

JimBHibees
12-09-2023, 03:27 PM
One thing of note is Gray has been credited with the improvement in Josh's game, he's being doing a lot of one on one sessions with him this past year, another very good reason for having Gray involved in the coaching set up.

Any idea what working on?

J-C
12-09-2023, 03:58 PM
Any idea what working on?

Don't know mate, some on the PM board mentioned it a few weeks back, I'd assume positional play as he's bagged a good few goals in the past year.

greenlex
12-09-2023, 04:25 PM

That’s why he’s in there most weeks with a good scoring record. Nearly 90 first team games with 13 goals over several managers tells me you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

supermcginn
12-09-2023, 04:37 PM

Yip, he's just about the worst in the squad at the basics of passing and controlling the ball.

wookie70
12-09-2023, 04:39 PM
If we're playing with two strikers and Youan and Boyle down the wings I'm not really fussed about our centre mids goal contributions to be honest. That's more than enough fire power to destroy most teams in this league. If it is to be 2 in the middle I want my two to be able to play make and create opportunities for our attackers.

It'll be interesting to see how Montgomery has us lined up on Saturday. I think we agree there. The issue is actually how you fit our forward thinking players who score and contribute goals in without losing more goals than you score. Campbell scores goals and works tirelessly. Youan and Boyle score goals and come nowhere near the work rate or commitment that Josh shows. Boyle has previously shown that though so it may return and Youan has improved slightly and may continue to get better when we don't have the ball. Johnson played two wingers neither of whom offered anything off the ball. Combine that with Campbell and you have a team that loses the ball often and who are two short in defending wide areas. The good news is we actually have lots of different options up front and scoring hasn't been an issue. We now need to make sure we score more than the other team far more often and that may mean forward players being better defenders or some, including Josh, not playing as often.

easty
12-09-2023, 04:46 PM
He gets on the scoresheet about every 10 games, and when he’s not scoring he’s offering us little in my opinion.

S4uzee
12-09-2023, 04:55 PM
He gets on the scoresheet about every 10 games, and when he’s not scoring he’s offering us little in my opinion.

Amazing how folk see it different and think he’s a great player

S4uzee
12-09-2023, 04:56 PM
That’s why he’s in there most weeks with a good scoring record. Nearly 90 first team games with 13 goals over several managers tells me you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

Several managers who have all been sacked and failed to rectify a poor midfield

WeeRussell
12-09-2023, 05:01 PM
Amazing how folk see it different and think he’s a great player

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone call him a “great player” ?

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 06:06 PM

Recently it's been more often than that.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 06:09 PM

Dinosaurs didn't read. Now they're extinct.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 06:11 PM
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone call him a “great player” ?

People were describing him as great before he signed his new contract. I remember someone telling BK and LJ to sign him up on a 10 year deal. Matty might remember it, if it was Longbangers.

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 06:20 PM
I think we agree there. The issue is actually how you fit our forward thinking players who score and contribute goals in without losing more goals than you score. Campbell scores goals and works tirelessly. Youan and Boyle score goals and come nowhere near the work rate or commitment that Josh shows. Boyle has previously shown that though so it may return and Youan has improved slightly and may continue to get better when we don't have the ball. Johnson played two wingers neither of whom offered anything off the ball. Combine that with Campbell and you have a team that loses the ball often and who are two short in defending wide areas. The good news is we actually have lots of different options up front and scoring hasn't been an issue. We now need to make sure we score more than the other team far more often and that may mean forward players being better defenders or some, including Josh, not playing as often.

Great Post 👍

For all the running he does and he does do a lot I don't think he offers us anything defensively. Despite the upturn of Jeggo I think we definitely need to sign a 6. I don't like the 442 formation personally but it works with the current crop.

I reckon Monty will tighten us up defensively though the boys were great at the back up at Pittodrie so maybe our last manager throwing our defenders under the bus was the cause of us leaking goals.

Totally agree about the wingers but that again could be down to our last manager. If we are playing them as wingers they have to play like wingers and that means doing both sides of the role, attacking and defending.

brog
12-09-2023, 06:25 PM

You could have just said that in the 1st place. No need for the 'Colin Nish' nonsense.

CowgateHarp1875
12-09-2023, 06:27 PM
You could have just said that in the 1st place. No need for the 'Colin Nish' nonsense.

👍

Johnny_Leith
12-09-2023, 07:32 PM
He's not good enough, terrible awareness as a midfielder, really poor on the ball and lacks the mentality to make it further than scoring the odd goal at Hibs.

tonyrougier123
12-09-2023, 07:35 PM
Some absolute pish being spouted on this thread 😂

WeeRussell
12-09-2023, 07:42 PM
People were describing him as great before he signed his new contract. I remember someone telling BK and LJ to sign him up on a 10 year deal. Matty might remember it, if it was Longbangers.

Oh shut up, big nose!

easty
12-09-2023, 07:45 PM
Recently it's been more often than that.

Aye…just, but if the standard of our opposition was regularly at Inter Club d’Escaldes level, then I’d be happy to concede that Josh Campbell was more than capable for the level we need.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2023, 07:49 PM
Aye…just, but if the standard of our opposition was regularly at Inter Club d’Escaldes level, then I’d be happy to concede that Josh Campbell was more than capable for the level we need.

I'm not asking anyone to concede anything.

My point is that NM will like his graft, energy and commitment.

Brightside
12-09-2023, 08:51 PM
Yip, he's just about the worst in the squad at the basics of passing and controlling the ball.

Do you watch any football at all.

zitelli62
12-09-2023, 09:05 PM

And yet they all picked him strange that must be terrible having a goal scoring midfielder.

B.H.F.C
12-09-2023, 09:15 PM
And yet they all picked him strange that must be terrible having a goal scoring midfielder.

I think the point is that they’ve all picked him, all lost their job in a relatively short timeframe when picking him, and all been widely criticised for failing to get a functioning midfield on the park.

He’s scored in about 8 or 9 games out of 90 odd. For much of the rest of the time he hasn’t offered enough.

Donegal Hibby
12-09-2023, 09:38 PM
I think Josh Campbell is a good player and by no means our worst Midfielder.
https://scottishfootballanalysis.com/analysis/josh-campbell-hibernian-scottish-premiership-2022-23-data-stats-analysis-scout-report

https://youtu.be/lPa6QllAy7A?si=GPsVlqus0SSqoRfP

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 03:49 AM
Do you watch any football at all.

I'm sure you'll have a great counter argument rather than insulting people?

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 04:49 AM
Damned with faint praise indeed eh. His work rate is top level. Its why he gets picked to play even when not fit. He closes down and also creates further opportuniteis for us to regain possession.

Closing down is not an individual trait. It's a team strategy. If he's running about himself closing down, he's a bit useless. Same for anyone.

Daily Hibs
13-09-2023, 04:53 AM
He's not good enough for us sadly.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 06:07 AM

Why has he played so many games and scored goals including a hat trick then. Of course he is good enough or he wouldn't be playing.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2023, 06:18 AM
Another Campbell thread. Lucky Nick Montgomery to have all this information on a player at his disposal!

Stubbsy90+2
13-09-2023, 06:21 AM
Why has he played so many games and scored goals including a hat trick then. Of course he is good enough or he wouldn't be playing.

I don’t agree with the post you’ve replied to but I’m not sure regularly playing as part of a failing midfield in a failing team for the vast majority of his career proves he’s good enough.

I think he’s a good enough squad player. He shouldn’t be starting though imo regardless of whether it’s in a 3 or a 2.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 06:32 AM

So every Hibs player to play for us a bit has been good enough?

Hibee Mac
13-09-2023, 06:41 AM
There's no question in my mind that he just isn't of the required quality for where we need to be.

His work rate and desire is second to none though, and he's a Hibee too so there's absolutely no animosity towards him. The problem is that you can't teach quality, and that's what he lacks I'm afraid.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 08:43 AM

We sold any of our Midfielders who'd go for the most money ?

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 08:46 AM
So every Hibs player to play for us a bit has been good enough?

Not every player however he has been a regular and in the main done well. Scoring record last season was decent particularly important when our main forward options were out for most of the season.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 08:48 AM
I don’t agree with the post you’ve replied to but I’m not sure regularly playing as part of a failing midfield in a failing team for the vast majority of his career proves he’s good enough.

I think he’s a good enough squad player. He shouldn’t be starting though imo regardless of whether it’s in a 3 or a 2.

Of course it is an opinion however he improved last season so to me he is.

Brightside
13-09-2023, 08:50 AM
I'm sure you'll have a great counter argument rather than insulting people?

Well he said he is just about the worst passer of the ball in the squad. Thats utter poppycock. You don't need a counter argument you just need eyes.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 09:00 AM
Well he said he is just about the worst passer of the ball in the squad. Thats utter poppycock. You don't need a counter argument you just need eyes.

He is just about the worst passer in the squad. He is very poor.

brog
13-09-2023, 09:03 AM
I despair of Hibs Net at times. What started as a thread praising a young footballer, turns into the usual nonsense and vitriol from people who supposedly 'support' our team. FWIW I recognise Josh has a long way to go and I also can get frustrated with him but I very much admire his grit and tenacity in getting himself to this level. He's overtaken several more naturally gifted colleagues, e.g. Gullan and Shaw, by his dedication, effort and physical fitness. He's a great example of a local boy, a fan, coming through the academy, a rare thing that everyone agrees is the way forward. Perhaps if we support him more he'll continue to improve under NM's guidance and become a fan favourite!
PS, there's been a few stats bandied about on here so here's one more. Josh has started 66 games and scored 13 goals, almost exactly 1 in 5. That's astonishing, especially for a poor player who apparently can't control a ball!
PPS, cue comments about 2 penalties and standard of opposition.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 09:04 AM

I thought that was Jeggo. Or Rocky. Or Fish. Or Miller.

He is not very poor or else people wouldn't have been begging for him to be given a contract extension a matter of months ago.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 09:04 AM
I despair of Hibs Net at times. What started as a thread praising a young footballer, turns into the usual nonsense and vitriol from people who supposedly 'support' our team. FWIW I recognise Josh has a long way to go and I also can get frustrated with him but I very much admire his grit and tenacity in getting himself to this level. He's overtaken several more naturally gifted colleagues, e.g. Gullan and Shaw, by his dedication, effort and physical fitness. He's a great example of a local boy, a fan, coming through the academy, a rare thing that everyone agrees is the way forward. Perhaps if we support him more he'll continue to improve under NM's guidance and become a fan favourite!
PS, there's been a few stats bandied about on here so here's one more. Josh has started 66 games and scored 13 goals, almost exactly 1 in 5. That's astonishing, especially for a
poor player who apparently can't control a ball!

Couldn't agree more.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 09:05 AM
Couldn't agree more.

I could.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 09:07 AM
I could.

:greengrin How much though?

WeeRussell
I could.

Me neither.

Hibbyradge
:greengrin How much though?

A lot.

Cue Russell...

lyonhibs
13-09-2023, 09:08 AM
In a nutshell, a good squad player, not a starter if we want to have a serious tilt at 3rd.

WeeRussell
13-09-2023, 09:09 AM
A lot.

Cue Russell...

Right you’re in.

Daily Hibs
13-09-2023, 09:26 AM

If you are talking about playing games or about being a good player, I'd say its a similar situation to Hanlon and Stevenson, they play all these games, including Josh Campbell, it doesn't mean they're good enough for where we should be as a club.

Brightside
13-09-2023, 09:39 AM

OK....cue the personal insult. You clearly don't bother watching the games either now. Honestly just go and watch some of the games and look at all his completed passes - instead of looking at just his mistakes. Every single player makes mistakes. He is not even close to being the worse passer in the squad. Thats just wrong.

B.H.F.C
13-09-2023, 09:45 AM
PS, there's been a few stats bandied about on here so here's one more. Josh has started 66 games and scored 13 goals, almost exactly 1 in 5. That's astonishing, especially for a poor player who apparently can't control a ball!

There isn’t much in the way of vitriol, it’s just that people hold the opposite view on his abilities.

FWIW, I think some comments are over the top in relation to his abilities, both ways. 13 goals in 87 appearances is a good return on the face of it but he’s scored in 9 of his appearances out of 87. So he’s had a big influence on some games, particularly the two home games against Aberdeen last season, but that influence is far to rare.

brog
13-09-2023, 10:05 AM
There isn’t much in the way of vitriol, it’s just that people hold the opposite view on his abilities.

FWIW, I think some comments are over the top in relation to his abilities, both ways. 13 goals in 87 appearances is a good return on the face of it but he’s scored in 9 of his appearances out of 87. So he’s had a big influence on some games, particularly the two home games against Aberdeen last season, but that influence is far to rare.

A measured view on his ability/performance is fine. But dont't call him 'Colin Nish' (TBF that poster acknowledged that was an error) or even as one poster has described him as , "so so poor", "very poor" and " a bit useless". That's not constructive criticism.

Daily Hibs
13-09-2023, 10:10 AM
This will now be Josh Campbell's 4th first team manager in 4 seasons.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 10:12 AM

Same as most of the squad, no?

Smartie
13-09-2023, 10:25 AM

Ryan Porteous will probably get through that many every season, given the club he chose to join from us.

Not sure it really tells us anything.

Daily Hibs
13-09-2023, 10:31 AM
Ryan Porteous will probably get through that many every season, given the club he chose to join from us.

Not sure it really tells us anything.
Watford are a basket case of a club.

I think we have to realise that its maybe not the managers fault, its the same players that are getting managers sacked, we maybe have to realise that these players aren't good enough for the size of our club.

I'd be surprised if Josh Campbell is a long term option for us but you never know. He's another player that goes missing in derbies.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2023, 10:40 AM

I agree about him being about the worst passer of a ball, along with Jeggo they are not that good at one of the basic skills of any footballer. Of course his work rate is probably up there with the best, and he has scored a few goals which is another plus. I don't think he can possibly play in a 4 man midfield, Monty will need to find a system different to a 4 if he wants him and the team to flourish with him in it.In my opinion our midfield has been the main problem for years, Monty has a huge problem if he has to play any permutations of what's available at the moment.

J-C
13-09-2023, 10:50 AM
If Campbell had top stats for the club, he'd not be here but playing at a higher level, there's a reason a good few players at our club are here, they all have a few faults and non are the complete package. We'll only get better players when we start paying them 2-3x what we do right now.

tamig
13-09-2023, 01:22 PM
OK....cue the personal insult. You clearly don't bother watching the games either now. Honestly just go and watch some of the games and look at all his completed passes - instead of looking at just his mistakes. Every single player makes mistakes. He is not even close to being the worse passer in the squad. Thats just wrong.

The thing about JCs mistakes/poor passes is that a lot have been costly. He should be learning from those mistakes I’d have thought. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. I like his energy and workrate and think he’s much more valuable to the team playing further forward. But I just feel he’s not the most intelligent of players - far too many wrong choices. Hopefully the new management team can sort some of that as he does have good physical attributes.

tamig
13-09-2023, 01:24 PM
I agree about him being about the worst passer of a ball, along with Jeggo they are not that good at one of the basic skills of any footballer. Of course his work rate is probably up there with the best, and he has scored a few goals which is another plus. I don't think he can possibly play in a 4 man midfield, Monty will need to find a system different to a 4 if he wants him and the team to flourish with him in it.In my opinion our midfield has been the main problem for years, Monty has a huge problem if he has to play any permutations of what's available at the moment.
Jeggo’s passing has been far better in the past few games. No doubt about that.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 01:47 PM

I watch all our games. He is poor at passing and controlling a football. His performance Vs St Mirren was absolutely woeful.

He does things well, but not those things.

Bizarre you feel the need to pretend he is some complete player. It's fine to see a players weaknesses, even if you like them.

tonyrougier123
13-09-2023, 02:15 PM
I watch all our games. He is poor at passing and controlling a football. His performance Vs St Mirren was absolutely woeful.

Bizarre you feel the need to pretend he is some complete player. It's fine to see a players weaknesses, even if you like them.

I disagree with you and agree with the posters point,for some reason if Campbell makes a miss pass that will be what is remembered,I also watch every hibs game. If I was critical of Campbell it would be positioning at times lets him down. I also think he tries to take on too much to cover for players not tracking their man.
I’ve seen some sublime passes by Campbell good through balls as well, it’s just lies saying he doesn’t have that in his locker.

Brightside
13-09-2023, 02:23 PM

Jeez Ive even pointed out his faults. But worst passer in the squad is just daft. His passing v St Mirren was poor no doubt - circa 36% I think. But there was plenty games in the 65% plus pass completion the season before. Much more of his passing is him trying to create chances also so expectation of success of those passes is much less. He is a fine squad player who will continue to get plenty game time this season. LJ even played him when he was clearly injured - so why do that if he's as poor as you seem to think?

He's got plenty faults but he works harder, and puts in more mileage that probably anyone else on the pitch, and that is hugely important in the modern game.

He'll have a good game at the weekend and there will be a thread to get him on a new contract!

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 03:18 PM
I think Josh Campbell gives us something different than our other midfielders , he's certainly more of a goal threat and his workrate and energy levels certainly aren't lacking either.

I was looking back at some of the goals he got and they certainly helped get us some crucial points tbf , late winner st Johnstone ( 2 extra points ) . Late equaliser against Huns ( another point ) , 2 against Aberdeen in 3-1 game ( 2 extra points ) .

Not saying he should play every week though very useful player to have . Still think a pairing of Newell and JDH is probably the one that least works though that's just my opinion for what it's worth and with the way JDH injuries are going we need Campbell.

Will be interesting to see who the manager picks for his favoured 4-4-2 formation . Read this article a wee while ago.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/a-4-4-2-ferocious-defence-and-scoring-goals-montgomerys-hibs-plan-4334744

Since452
13-09-2023, 03:23 PM
I like Josh but he doesn't seem fully fit this season. Looks like he's carrying a knock. For whatever reason he's been off it.

JimBHibees
13-09-2023, 03:50 PM
I like Josh but he doesn't seem fully fit this season. Looks like he's carrying a knock. For whatever reason he's been off it.

Agree

CapitalGreen
13-09-2023, 04:04 PM
Jeez Ive even pointed out his faults. But worst passer in the squad is just daft. His passing v St Mirren was poor no doubt - circa 36% I think. But there was plenty games in the 65% plus pass completion the season before. Much more of his passing is him trying to create chances also so expectation of success of those passes is much less. He is a fine squad player who will continue to get plenty game time this season. LJ even played him when he was clearly injured - so why do that if he's as poor as you seem to think?

He's got plenty faults but he works harder, and puts in more mileage that probably anyone else on the pitch, and that is hugely important in the modern game.

He'll have a good game at the weekend and there will be a thread to get him on a new contract!

65% still isn’t good, it means more than 1 in 3 of his passes fail to find a teammate.

Brightside
13-09-2023, 04:49 PM
65% still isn’t good, it means more than 1 in 3 of his passes fail to find a teammate.

Thats totally fine for an attacking mid. its had him in the top 25%. Clearly CBs and DMs are hitting 80 to 90.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 08:06 PM
Thats totally fine for an attacking mid. its had him in the top 25%. Clearly CBs and DMs are hitting 80 to 90.

It would be good, if he ever actually created anything. Scott Allan is someone I'd be fine with having 65% pass success. Cant think of Campbell splitting many defenses.

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 08:15 PM
It would be good, if he ever actually created anything. Scott Allan is someone I'd be fine with having 65% pass success. Cant think of Campbell splitting many defenses.

Josh Campbell isn't that sort of Midfielder and in saying that neither is the rest of them . Hopefully Levitt can provide some creativity when we get him back . Certainly wouldn't be relying on JDH for it that's for sure .

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 08:17 PM
Josh Campbell isn't that sort of Midfielder and in saying that neither is the rest of them . Hopefully Levitt can provide some creativity when we get him back . Certainly wouldn't be relying on JDH for it that's for sure .

You cant have that poor a pass success then be not that type of player. He is just a poor passer and needs to improve on it.

Newell creates more and keeps it better than Josh. And so far this season, scores more too.

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 08:56 PM
You cant have that poor a pass success then be not that type of player. He is just a poor passer and needs to improve on it.

Newell creates more and keeps it better than Josh. And so far this season, scores more too.

I agree with Newell is better at keeping possession and as to creating more he should as he takes most of the set pieces and corners though the defense splitting passes you can't recall Campbell doing , I think all our Midfielders lack that skill , at least consistently they do .

Josh gives you 100%, workrate and great energy and gets into good goalscoring positions . I'd still fancy him to finish with more goals than our other midfielders . He's also our most valuable Midfielder too .

We had this conversation before I think about Newell and Campbell who are to totally different types of Midfielders and it's unfair to compare both with each other . There's more similarities between. JDH and Newell than Campbell and Newell imo . Probably the reason why I think they are our worst Midfield pairing.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 09:03 PM
I agree with Newell is better at keeping possession and as to creating more he should as he takes most of the set pieces and corners though the defense splitting passes you can't recall Campbell doing , I think all our Midfielders lack that skill , at least consistently they do .

Josh gives you 100%, workrate and great energy and gets into good goalscoring positions . I'd still fancy him to finish with more goals than our other midfielders . He's also our most valuable Midfielder too .

We had this conversation before I think about Newell and Campbell who are to totally different types of Midfielders and it's unfair to compare both with each other . There's more similarities between. JDH and Newell than Campbell and Newell imo . Probably the reason why I think they are our worst Midfield pairing.

He is more "valuable" because he is young. Joe is twice the footballer and works just as hard.

Daily Hibs
13-09-2023, 09:31 PM
He is more "valuable" because he is young. Joe is twice the footballer and works just as hard.
What does that say about the state of our squad if Josh Campbell is the most valuable midfielder.

He's not even good enough for us let alone being our most valuable midfielder.

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 09:48 PM

Campbell works just as hard and isn't just valuable because he's young otherwise players like Henderson, kenneh and JDH would also be just as valuable but there not . It's because he's a goalscoring midfielder who is a good player with potential to get better. Again Newell and Campbell are different though both good at what they do . In Campbell's case he will chip in with more goals than the rest of our midfield players.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/top-scorers

Stokesy's on fire
13-09-2023, 10:17 PM
Josh Campbell a player who gives his all everytime he plays for us and a player who will get better with age. Josh has scored some vital goals for the club and doesnt get the praise he deserves.

MWHIBBIES
13-09-2023, 10:59 PM
What does that say about the state of our squad if Josh Campbell is the most valuable midfielder.

He's not even good enough for us let alone being our most valuable midfielder.

Not a whole lot because it's not based purely on ability. Stevie wonder could see Joe Newell is by far out best midfielder.

greenlex
13-09-2023, 11:18 PM

What’s Newells stats in comparison
?

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 11:18 PM
Not a whole lot because it's not based purely on ability. Stevie wonder could see Joe Newell is by far out best midfielder.

I think that depends on what "best" means to the onlooker.

Ask people who Hibs best player is and you'll get several different answers.

I like Newell. He's the closest we've got to a player who puts his foot on the ball and controls games, but the work Jeggo, for example, puts in is equally as important.

Forza Fred
14-09-2023, 02:35 AM

Just looked at this thread.

Dunno if you know but Usain Bolt actually played a few games for the Mariners a few years ago when they were a basket case.

Colin Nish was a superstar compared to Bolt as far as footballing ability goes.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 08:34 AM

Your doing Campbell a injustice there his ability is getting into goalscoring positions which he does regularly and he workrate and energy is right up there with any midfielder we have .

Again your trying to compare two totally different types of Midfielders . Why not try and compare Jeggo and Campbell or JDH with any ?. JDH rarely seems to get mentioned btw .

Campbell's value is because of numerous factors including his ability which is why it was rumoured Italian clubs were watching him and none of our other midfielders .

No ability ? Yeah right ��.
https://youtu.be/lPa6QllAy7A?si=-46vwgrCSZguL_Ik

easty
14-09-2023, 08:44 AM
I think that depends on what "best" means to the onlooker.

Ask people who Hibs best player is and you'll get several different answers.

I like Newell. He's the closest we've got to a player who puts his foot on the ball and controls games, but the work Jeggo, for example, puts in is equally as important.

Jeggo could be replaced far easier than Newell could.

For me, Newell starts for every team outside Rangers and Celtc in this league. Jeggo, not so much.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Your doing Campbell a injustice there his ability is getting into goalscoring positions which he does regularly and he workrate and energy is right up there with any midfielder we have .

Again your trying to compare two totally different types of Midfielders . Why not try and compare Jeggo and Campbell or JDH with any ?. JDH rarely seems to get mentioned btw .

Campbell's value is because of numerous factors including his ability which is why it was rumoured Italian clubs were watching him and none of our other midfielders .

Workrate and energy is not enough if he's not scoring. His general play is poor.

I'm comparing him to our best midfielder. That's all.

Carheenlea
14-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Josh Campbell is in the Stevenson mould. Like Stevenson, never a universal fans favourite but a player managers liked in their teams.

Despite Stevenson’s record appearances he’s still not lauded as a great player by many. Back in the day the general consensus was that he wasn’t good enough for Hibs, and we still hear such chat today.

As long as Campbell is with us, he’s going to face similar critique, and any praise will be grudging.

I sense he’ll be one who prospers under Montgomery.

Since452
14-09-2023, 08:51 AM

That goal against Rangers is the best i've seen at ER in a long time. Technically brilliant. On a par with Mikey Stewarts goal v Aberdeen.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 08:52 AM
Josh Campbell is in the Stevenson mould. Like Stevenson, never a universal fans favourite but a player managers liked in their teams.

Despite Stevenson’s record appearances he’s still not lauded as a great player by many. Back in the day the general consensus was that he wasn’t good enough for Hibs, and we still hear such chat today.

As long as Campbell is with us, he’s going to face similar critique, and any praise will be grudging.

Lewis was/is a far better player. And he has been part of 20% of the trophies Hibs have ever won. There is no real argument that he wasn't good enough.

Campbell has been in and out of poor Hibs sides for 3 years.

Brightside
14-09-2023, 08:54 AM
Lewis was/is a far better player. And he has been part of 20% of the trophies Hibs have ever won. There is no real argument that he wasn't good enough.

Campbell has been in and out of poor Hibs sides for 3 years.

Would you say Lewis is a good passer of the ball?

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 09:07 AM
Would you say Lewis is a good passer of the ball?

Not especially. He is good enough though.

Lago
14-09-2023, 09:11 AM

Josh is today's Benny Brazil.

Johnny_Leith
14-09-2023, 09:13 AM
That goal against Rangers is the best i've seen at ER in a long time. Technically brilliant. On a par with Mikey Stewarts goal v Aberdeen.

Can't agree with that, great goal by Campbell but a chesting down to strike a half volley is not as technically challenging as a fully volley delivered to edge of the box from a corner.

Hibbyradge
14-09-2023, 09:13 AM
Jeggo could be replaced far easier than Newell could.

For me, Newell starts for every team outside Rangers and Celtc in this league. Jeggo, not so much.

I agree.

Their relative value to the team in any one game might not reflect that, though.

Any way, this thread has descended into onlookers' opinions being repeated over and over and over. I've made my thoughts clear, I think. No point getting into an argument because we'll soon see what NM thinks.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 09:15 AM

It certainly was there keeper was rooted to the spot as he watched the ball hit the net . His overall play that day was excellent between his attacking and willingness to get back to defend . 100%, workrate and commitment from Campbell. My MotM that day . Never tire of that goal ��.
https://youtu.be/-lUNS2Tz60E?si=KkVyM50KWU_gH0Du

Hibbyradge
14-09-2023, 09:16 AM

See my OP. :wink:

Since452
14-09-2023, 10:13 AM
It certainly was there keeper was rooted to the spot as he watched the ball hit the net . His overall play that day was excellent between his attacking and willingness to get back to defend . 100%, workrate and commitment from Campbell. My MotM that day . Never tire of that goal ��.
https://youtu.be/-lUNS2Tz60E?si=KkVyM50KWU_gH0Du

He was tremendous that day.

brog
14-09-2023, 10:38 AM

I can but specifically Nisbet's goal against Sheep at ER last season, a superb pass. Incidentally I doubt Scotty ever got near 65% pass completion but in his case he gets a free pass, so to speak!

brog
14-09-2023, 10:40 AM

Strangely, I thought they were very similar because both were partial miss hits, came off the shin. IIRC Josh said as much after the game.
Had to respell miss hits!

Stubbsy90+2
14-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Strangely, I thought they were very similar because both were partial miss hits, came off the shin. IIRC Josh said as much after the game.
Had to respell miss hits!

It was absolutely mis-hit.

If we’re talking great volleys/half volleys then Boyle v Livi is miles ahead of both in terms of technique imo.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 11:08 AM
I can but specifically Nisbet's goal against Sheep at ER last season, a superb pass. Incidentally I doubt Scotty ever got near 65% pass completion but in his case he gets a free pass, so to speak!

65% pass is dreadful for any position. Allan would've been well above that.

superfurryhibby
14-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Can't agree with that, great goal by Campbell but a chesting down to strike a half volley is not as technically challenging as a fully volley delivered to edge of the box from a corner.

The ball came off Stewart's shin, not his foot. Still a brilliant goal, but maybe not a technical masterclass.

MKHIBEE
14-09-2023, 11:27 AM
What would you consider an acceptable % of successful passes?

Brightside
14-09-2023, 11:57 AM

Again thats just wrong. Strikers are normally in the 50 to 70 range. It gets less the further up the pitch you go. Thats just common sense. :greengrin

Brightside
14-09-2023, 11:59 AM
I agree.

Their relative value to the team in any one game might not reflect that, though.

Any way, this thread has descended into onlookers' opinions being repeated over and over and over. I've made my thoughts clear, I think. No point getting into an argument because we'll soon see what NM thinks.

I expect it will be Levitt and Newell in the majority of games.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 12:36 PM
I expect it will be Levitt and Newell in the majority of games.

Not this week though , read Levitt isn't ready so would imagine Newell with Campbell or Jeggo unless Monty picks Delferriere instead.

flash
14-09-2023, 12:44 PM
Not a great fan of these threads personally but each to their own.

He is a young man who lives and breathes Hibs and has done so all his life just like many of us. He also knocks his pan in every match without fail and has contributed several important moments to the team both with goals and assists.

Clearly his passing could improve but he has put through one or two fantastic balls in his time so he is capable, just needs to find some consistency.

We all clamour for our kids to make it to the first team then, as often as not, they become the whipping boys when they do.

Nothing wrong with voicing opinions of course, this is a fans' forum after all, but not sure there's any need for some of the more extreme criticism he picks up.

Brightside
14-09-2023, 01:21 PM
Not this week though , read Levitt isn't ready so would imagine Newell with Campbell or Jeggo unless Monty picks Delferriere instead.

Yep agreed. Assuming he does got 442. He may stick with what Dave Gray has been doing for the first game tho..... who knows.

WeeRussell
14-09-2023, 02:00 PM

Dreadful (it’s not).. but you’d be fine with it?

That’s not holding Allan to very high standards 😁

Dashing Bob S
14-09-2023, 04:43 PM

He is a young man who lives and breathes Hibs and has done so all his life just like many of us. He also knocks his pan in every match without fail and has contributed several important moments to the team both with goals and assists.

Clearly his passing could improve but he has put through one or two fantastic balls in his time so he is capable, just needs to find some consistency.

We all clamour for our kids to make it to the first team then, as often as not, they become the whipping boys when they do.

Nothing wrong with voicing opinions of course, this is a fans' forum after all, but not sure there's any need for some of the more extreme criticism he picks up.

Great post.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 04:58 PM

How many goals did Scott Allan score for Hibs ?

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 06:57 PM
How many goals did Scott Allan score for Hibs ?

17 in 127

39 assists

Campbell has 13 in 87

9 assists

Lets not be silly and compare these 2 players.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 07:19 PM
17 in 127

39 assists

Campbell has 13 in 87

9 assists

That's exactly what I mean when your saying Newells better than Campbell or even when you said Allan would have a higher pass % than Campbell. Different types of Midfielders and silly to compare them tbh .

I knew Allan would have more assists as he was more creative than Campbell though Campbell will certainly end up with more goals than Allan as he gets imo into the box more often which is why he'd have less of pass %,than Allan too.

MWHIBBIES
14-09-2023, 07:30 PM
That's exactly what I mean when your saying Newells better than Campbell or even when you said Allan would have a higher pass % than Campbell. Different types of Midfielders and silly to compare them tbh .

I knew Allan would have more assists as he was more creative than Campbell though Campbell will certainly end up with more goals than Allan as he gets imo into the box more often which is why he'd have less of pass %,than Allan too.

So Campbell only ever gives it away when its a real high risk pass because he's so high up? Is that what you're genuinely saying?

You can compare different types of midfielders. Not directly but you can. Campbell has been poor so far this season and has a lot to work on. His passing and general control isn't good enough. Nothing you've said is convincing me otherwise.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 08:28 PM
So Campbell only ever gives it away when its a real high risk pass because he's so high up? Is that what you're genuinely saying?

You can compare different types of midfielders. Not directly but you can. Campbell has been poor so far this season and has a lot to work on. His passing and general control isn't good enough. Nothing you've said is convincing me otherwise.

Campbell's games not about spreading passes about or being creative . He's a worker with great energy and stamina and he does a lot of work both ends of the field though primarily he will get himself in the box and get goals at times . Could he improve on certain aspects of his game ? I've no doubt about it though I'm sure there's things all our Midfielders could improve on even Newell as well.

Look at Newells goalscoring record over his career , it isn't great tbh , I'm sure he'd like to improve on it . He has 3 assists this year in 8 competitive games so far . I know of one that came from a corner he took , don't know of the other two though , maybe that's another area he'd like to improve on too !

You mentioned comparing Allan and Campbell as silly now you say you can , very confusing tbh , personally I think your right comparing Allan and Campbell or Newell and Campbell is silly tbh . Different types , different attributes . All good players but nothing alike .

I wasn't actually trying to convince you on Campbell though imo at the moment our 3 most important Midfielders are Jeggo , Newell and Campbell for totally different reasons . Take Campbell out and we have a lack of goals from midfield!

B.H.F.C
14-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Campbell's games not about spreading passes about or being creative . He's a worker with great energy and stamina and he does a lot of work both ends of the field though primarily he will get himself in the box and get goals at times . Could he improve on certain aspects of his game ? I've no doubt about it though I'm sure there's things all our Midfielders could improve on even Newell as well.

Look at Newells goalscoring record over his career , it isn't great tbh , I'm sure he'd like to improve on it . He has 3 assists this year in 8 competitive games so far . I know of one that came from a corner he took , don't know of the other two though , maybe that's another area he'd like to improve on too !

You mentioned comparing Allan and Campbell as silly now you say you can , very confusing tbh , personally I think your right comparing Allan and Campbell or Newell and Campbell is silly tbh . Different types , different attributes . All good players but nothing alike .

I wasn't actually trying to convince you on Campbell though imo at the moment our 3 most important Midfielders are Jeggo , Newell and Campbell for totally different reasons . Take Campbell out and we have a lack of goals from midfield!

You can’t play the position Campbell does and get away with not being creative.

Playing as the most advanced midfielder you need to be and, if you’re not, you’re not going to make a decent career in that position IMO.

Smartie
14-09-2023, 08:34 PM

Great post.

I like that he's obviously made of tough stuff and I like that he's stayed for a while with the prospect of him staying longer.

His game has weaknesses that have been well documented here but with time, coaching and game experience he can improve on them and become a better player. He's already evolved a fair bit and whilst I already rate him, I'd be confident that with the right manager, coaching team and players around him he could on to be an even better player.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 08:47 PM

Playing as the most advanced midfielder you need to be and, if you’re not, you’re not going to make a decent career in that position IMO.

He had 8 goals last year with 4 or 5 assist's . I fully expect him to beat his goal tally this season and hit double figures. It was rumoured that Italian clubs were watching him earlier and if he does I think it's quite possible he will get a decent move and have a decent career .Campbell's not been one of the problems with the Hibs midfield though Henderson and JDH on the other hand have been imo .

B.H.F.C
14-09-2023, 09:06 PM
He had 8 goals last year with 4 or 5 assist's . I fully expect him to beat his goal tally this season and hit double figures. It was rumoured that Italian clubs were watching him earlier and if he does I think it's quite possible he will get a decent move and have a decent career .Campbell's not been one of the problems with the Hibs midfield though Henderson and JDH on the other hand have been imo .

I think he’s been a big part of the problem in the middle of the park as he doesn’t contribute anywhere nearly consistently enough. Goals and assists look decent on the face of it last season but they were spread across 8 games meaning there was 33 games where he didn’t manage any significant attacking contribution. And when he’s not doing that, the rest of his game isn’t good enough to make up for it.

brog
14-09-2023, 09:23 PM
17 in 127

39 assists

Campbell has 13 in 87

9 assists

I bow to no one in my admiration for Scotty but most of his goals came against lower league opposition.

Northernhibee
14-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Big fan of Josh. Think he’s clearly been carrying a knock this season but he’s a goal scoring midfielder who has the engine to be effective at both ends of the park.

brog
14-09-2023, 09:38 PM

You have to remember that Josh only regularly played in the more advanced role in the 2nd half of the season. Our team was all over the place early on.To put things in perspective, Melkersen, Jair, Henderson and Kenneh all started our 1st league game of last season. Josh scored off the bench from a set piece.

B.H.F.C
14-09-2023, 09:47 PM
You have to remember that Josh only regularly played in the more advanced role in the 2nd half of the season. Our team was all over the place early on.To put things in perspective, Melkersen, Jair, Henderson and Kenneh all started our 1st league game of last season. Josh scored off the bench from a set piece.

Even if you were to split the season in half it doesn’t make much of a difference. Half of his goal contributions were in 4 games in the first half of the season and 4 in the second half of the season. He tended to have a bit of a flurry then not do very much for a while thereafter. He had that freakishly good game at home to Aberdeen in January which contributed to a third of his goals and assists for the season.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 09:55 PM
I think he’s been a big part of the problem in the middle of the park as he doesn’t contribute anywhere nearly consistently enough. Goals and assists look decent on the face of it last season but they were spread across 8 games meaning there was 33 games where he didn’t manage any significant attacking contribution. And when he’s not doing that, the rest of his game isn’t good enough to make up for it.

When he's not scoring he's still working his socks off for the team defending , Blocking passes / shots , tackling . Considering Maloney had him playing as a DM were he looked awful the improvement in Campbell has been remarkably and without some of his goals last year which were crucial we'd have probably 5 or 6 points less ! .

He's had a injury this year which he's had to play with which probably has had a bearing on his performances so far and let's be honest at 23 years he's got time to improve also unlike Newell at 30 . He's also contributed far far more than JDH too . If Campbell scores double figures and chips in with a few assists and shows the same excellent workrate and energy I will be more than happy with him TBH . We have far worse Midfielders than josh on our books imo .

500miles
14-09-2023, 10:08 PM
Even if you were to split the season in half it doesn’t make much of a difference. Half of his goal contributions were in 4 games in the first half of the season and 4 in the second half of the season. He tended to have a bit of a flurry then not do very much for a while thereafter. He had that freakishly good game at home to Aberdeen in January which contributed to a third of his goals and assists for the season.

If you're going to dig in to the goals, maybe be less selective.

Big goals against Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen. Goals in Europe to save our blushes. Saving us on opening day last season after an embarrassing league cup capitulation. These are meaningful contributions in high pressure games. Suitably, I believe SDG done a good bit of one on one work with him, and he had a similar knack of saving his goals for such occasions.

I don't know if he fits in to NMs system, but as a player and a man, I reckon he'll be someone he'll be looking to get the best out of.

Brightside
14-09-2023, 10:09 PM
There is a space for Josh in our squad. That’s all that matters. He’s clearly not in the get rid category. If he is our squad will be top class

B.H.F.C
14-09-2023, 10:11 PM
If you're going to dig in to the goals, maybe be less selective.

Big goals against Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen. Goals in Europe to save our blushes. Saving us on opening day last season after an embarrassing league cup capitulation. These are meaningful contributions in high pressure games. Suitably, I believe SDG done a good bit of one on one work with him, and he had a similar knack of saving his goals for such occasions.

I don't know if he fits in to NMs system, but as a player and a man, I reckon he'll be someone he'll be looking to get the best out of.

I’m not being selective, I’ve acknowledged all of his goals. And by the way, he scored some very good and very important goals as well. My issue is that his positive contributions are infrequent and there are far too many games for me where he fails to contribute enough.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 10:32 PM
I’m not being selective, I’ve acknowledged all of his goals. And by the way, he scored some very good and very important goals as well. My issue is that his positive contributions are infrequent and there are far too many games for me where he fails to contribute enough.

I put this up on the thread already, it's well worth watching josh defending, blocking , tackling and a excellent pass into Youan for Boyle's goal . Josh covers so much of the pitch even when he's not scoring . I suppose even when I see a player having a bad game though giving it 100% I'm relatively happy, josh always gives us that imo .
https://youtu.be/-lUNS2Tz60E?si=-_6F7EgijPWQhptE

Vault Boy
14-09-2023, 11:25 PM
Josh Campbell is the kind of midfielder other SPFL clubs seemed to unearth that weren’t world beaters but could be a right pain in the arse when playing against Hibs.

They might not dominate a game or be the perfect all-rounder, but they’d have a real knack for picking up important goals, making late runs into the box and clinching games at vital times. I’m thinking Paul McGowan, Liam Craig, Ali Crawford, Craig Sibbald (at Falkirk), etc. You rarely thought they looked outstanding in a game, but they just seemed to be able to get a toe on something.

I’m confident that under our new and hopefully better coach, Josh will excel. I think he’s better than the players I’ve mentioned above and he’s capable of having a very respectable career with us.

Daily Hibs
15-09-2023, 01:43 AM
Josh Campbell is the kind of midfielder other SPFL clubs seemed to unearth that weren’t world beaters but could be a right pain in the arse when playing against Hibs.

They might not dominate a game or be the perfect all-rounder, but they’d have a real knack for picking up important goals, making late runs into the box and clinching games at vital times. I’m thinking Paul McGowan, Liam Craig, Ali Crawford, Craig Sibbald (at Falkirk), etc. You rarely thought they looked outstanding in a game, but they just seemed to be able to get a toe on something.

I’m confident that under our new and hopefully better coach, Josh will excel. I think he’s better than the players I’ve mentioned above and he’s capable of having a very respectable career with us.
The St Mirren #6 O'Hara is in that category. I'd take him at Hibs.

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 02:36 AM
The St Mirren #6 O'Hara is in that category. I'd take him at Hibs.

RATHER # 32 ::flag::flag:

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 05:39 AM

The truth is, while they may play different roles, Campbell simply isn't as good as Newell, and certainly not Allan. He must improve.

He scores a few goals and works hard. That isn't good enough long term.

theonlywayisup
15-09-2023, 06:15 AM

Great post!

To pick up on a couple of your points.

We all clamour for our kids to make it to the first team then, as often as not, they become the whipping boys when they do. Yes, I've said this many times. Why would I want my son to play in an environment when he's constantly being criticised. I understand it will happen with opposition fans, but your own teams supporters. Baffling!

Nothing wrong with voicing opinions of course, this is a fans' forum after all, but not sure there's any need for some of the more extreme criticism he picks up. When I read posts from those who are constantly negative about our footballers, I begin to think that they must be so perfect in everything what they do that they feel the need for constant, never ending criticism of others, only seeing the negatives. I imagine they must be a joy to work with. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
15-09-2023, 08:34 AM

Totally agree great post. He genuinely is one of our own.

JimBHibees
15-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Great post!

We all clamour for our kids to make it to the first team then, as often as not, they become the whipping boys when they do. Yes, I've said this many times. Why would I want my son to play in an environment when he's constantly being criticised. I understand it will happen with opposition fans, but your own teams supporters. Baffling!

Nothing wrong with voicing opinions of course, this is a fans' forum after all, but not sure there's any need for some of the more extreme criticism he picks up. When I read posts from those who are constantly negative about our footballers, I begin to think that they must be so perfect in everything what they do that they feel the need for constant, never ending criticism of others, only seeing the negatives. I imagine they must be a joy to work with. :rolleyes:

Two great points also.

easty
15-09-2023, 08:56 AM
Great post!

Your son would get criticised at every team, it's not a Hibs thing, or an age thing, it's a football thing.

Anyway, Josh Campbell is not a kid, he's 23 years old. He's the same age John McGinn was when he moved to Villa. The way some people go on about him, you'd think he was a teenager.

Some of the criticism of him is overly harsh, some of the praise is overly complimentary. Welcome to football fans opinions.

Brightside
15-09-2023, 09:07 AM
The truth is, while they may play different roles, Campbell simply isn't as good as Newell, and certainly not Allan. He must improve.

Scot Allan had plenty of horrible games for Hibs. Plenty. He was the epitome of a luxury player. Some bit of greatness but loads of nothingness also.

Victor
15-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Your son would get criticised at every team, it's not a Hibs thing, or an age thing, it's a football thing.

Anyway, Josh Campbell is not a kid, he's 23 years old. He's the same age John McGinn was when he moved to Villa. The way some people go on about him, you'd think he was a teenager.

Some of the criticism of him is overly harsh, some of the praise is overly complimentary. Welcome to football fans opinions.

I don’t have a problem with people airing their views online, but what I don’t get is audible abuse being shouted at players during a match, you would have to have really thick skin to be able to ignore it. This sort of ‘criticism’ should be discouraged as someone already playing under par, won’t improve.

tamig
15-09-2023, 09:36 AM
Scot Allan had plenty of horrible games for Hibs. Plenty. He was the epitome of a luxury player. Some bit of greatness but loads of nothingness also.

Thats nonsense. He was a crucial player for us - far from a luxury. I agree he had a few poor games - hardly loads. And most of those were when Hecky somehow thought it was a good idea to play him on the right wing. Crazy. Scott Allan is right up there as one of the most talented players seen in a Hibs shirt in the past 30 years. No question.

Why his name’s even being mentioned on a Josh Campbell thread I’m not really sure.

easty
15-09-2023, 09:41 AM
I don’t have a problem with people airing their views online, but what I don’t get is audible abuse being shouted at players during a match, you would have to have really thick skin to be able to ignore it. This sort of ‘criticism’ should be discouraged as someone already playing under par, won’t improve.

I don't think there is a particularly audible problem with folk shouting abuse at our players.

Brightside
15-09-2023, 09:56 AM
Thats nonsense. He was a crucial player for us - far from a luxury. I agree he had a few poor games - hardly loads. And most of those were when Hecky somehow thought it was a good idea to play him on the right wing. Crazy. Scott Allan is right up there as one of the most talented players seen in a Hibs shirt in the past 30 years. No question.

Why his name’s even being mentioned on a Josh Campbell thread I’m not really sure.

Im not sure why also - as he's nothing at all like Josh. But he's often held up as this unbelievable footballer. He was at times. But it wasn't consistent.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 10:09 AM

This isn't really true. Scott Allan was miles more consistent than Josh Campbell.

Brightside
15-09-2023, 10:11 AM
This isn't really true. Scott Allan was miles more consistent than Josh Campbell.

I'm not measuring them together tho. But Scott was very inconsistent. He was subbed in loads of his games in his first season with us. He's not an example for consistency. Joe Newell is.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Paul Allen and Vinny Samways were vital parts of Spurs 1991 cup winning side.

Were they as "good" as Paul Gasgoine? No-one would pass up the chance of signing Gasgoine for either Samways or Allen, but they were still excellent players.

Writing off Josh Campbell because he wasn't as "good" as Scott Allan is completely missing the point.

I'm of a mind to delete the thread altogether. I started it as a positive observation about what Josh can bring to the team, and my opinion that Montgomery will appreciate his energy, commitment and graft.

To then see ignorant comments appear alleging that he's "just not good enough" is disappointing, if not predictable.

I think Josh will flourish under NM. Others may think otherwise but there's no need to denigrate him.

easty
15-09-2023, 10:14 AM

Were they as "good" as Paul Gasgoine? No-one would pass up the chance of signing Gasgoine for either Samways or Allen, but they were still excellent players.

Writing off Josh Campbell because he wasn't as "good" as Scott Allan is completely missing the point.

I'm of a mind to delete the thread altogether. I started it as a positive observation about what Josh can bring to the team, and my opinion that Montgomery will appreciate his energy, commitment and graft.

To then see ignorant comments appear alleging that he's "just not good enough" is disappointing, if not predictable.

I think Josh will flourish under NM. Others may think otherwise but there's no need to denigrate him.

I don't think there's anything ignorant about having the opinion that Campbell isn't good enough.

Brightside
15-09-2023, 10:14 AM

I agree. Lets be more positive!!

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 10:15 AM
I don't think there's anything ignorant about having the opinion that Campbell isn't good enough.

I do.

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 10:20 AM

Your comparing different different types of Midfielders again and to use your own words that's silly. Truth is every Midfielder we have has weaknesses in there game ! Even your Joe Newell though it seems one is exempt from any criticism with you while the other has to be ridiculed at every opportunity !

Joe Newells goal scoring and creativity has been poor most of his career! Look at the list of clubs he's played for throughout his career , the best being either Birmingham or ourselves!. Why is that?.

Campbell isn't like Newell or isn't as creative as Allan though probably works as hard as either and certainly scores more goals than both!

Long-term at 23 josh has plenty of time to improve which Newell hasn't. He's not got that luxury. You can criticise Campbell as much as you want though he will always be one of our own another thing Newell ain't. Long-term josh has a future at Hibs if he doesn't move , were will Newell be in 3 or 4 years time? probably back at Rotherham if he's lucky enough ! !

Btw I always thought alot of Newells set pieces have been s*** though I suppose it does boast his assist statistics that aren't great like his goal scoring record! Campbell is also worth more than Joe Newell has or will ever be for reasons you want to ignore aswell !

JeMeSouviens
15-09-2023, 10:22 AM
He reminds me of Pat McGinlay. Not technically brilliant but a great engine and a knack of arriving at the right time.

I think he might flourish to some extent at least with some better coaching.

nonshinyfinish
15-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Every thread is about Joe Newell eventually.

easty
15-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Campbell is also worth more than Joe Newell has or will ever be for reasons you want to ignore aswell !

Is he? Based on what? We've had bids for neither, that I'm aware of.

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 10:36 AM
17 in 127

39 assists

Campbell has 13 in 87

9 assists

Truth be told you say one thing but totally contradict yourself then ! Campbell is a totally different type of midfielder from Newell and Allan yet you repeatedly try and make comparisons while saying it would be SILLY too :dunno: .. You'll be trying to make a comparison with Jeggo and Campbell next probably 😂

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 10:40 AM

I think so ! You think Newell's worth more than Campbell then?

Brightside
15-09-2023, 10:43 AM

We have had bids for Josh.

easty
15-09-2023, 10:45 AM

He's worth more to our team, absolutely.

I don't think we'll make much (if any) money from either of them to be honest. I think Joe Newell will play here a couple/few more years until he's at an age where his transfer value is little to none. I don't think we'll ever sell Campbell for a great sum of money, maybe a small fee down the line. People can talk about interest from Italian teams all they want...if they wanted him they'd have got him.

AlbertK86
15-09-2023, 10:45 AM
He was one of our biggest goal threats last season and has shown at times he still is this season, I would back him to hit double digits again in all comps if he plays enough. He's a good player with some limitations (he's not as technical as Newell and Levitt) but he can press and play in the final third like they two can. Delighted to have him as an option at the club.

Campbell is reactive as opposed to reactive in his press and attempts to retrieve the ball.

Prone to getting caught in possession in dangerous areas and passing isn’t good enough for him to play as one of two central mids.

Granted he is a goal threat. Useful to come off bench as a ten perhaps.

IF Monty goes with 2 in middle it’s Newell and Levitt for me as first choice. Then JDH then Jeggo in that order of back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
15-09-2023, 10:47 AM
Campbell is reactive as opposed to reactive in his press and attempts to retrieve the ball.

Prone to getting caught in possession in dangerous areas and passing isn’t good enough for him to play as one of two central mids.

IF Monty goes with 2 in middle it’s Newell and Levitt for me as first choice. Then JDH then Jeggo in that order of back up

I don't think he would play in the middle 2 in a 442. More chance of him playing as the false 9 or right mid. Remember Monty will want those wide players to do lots of defending also. Thats not Youan and Boyles strong points.

easty
15-09-2023, 10:50 AM
I don't think he would play in the middle 2 in a 442. More chance of him playing as the false 9 or right mid. Remember Monty will want those wide players to do lots of defending also. Thats not Youan and Boyles strong points.

I'm all about results, and I'll take Hibs being a slightly "boring" team that wins games over an exciting team thats mid table.

However, the thought of us leaving out Youan/Boyle for Campbell is a depressing thought to me. Even if it does make sense from a defending point of view.

WeeRussell
15-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Your comparing different different types of Midfielders again and to use your own words that's silly. Truth is every Midfielder we have has weaknesses in there game ! Even your Joe Newell though it seems one is exempt from any criticism with you while the other has to be ridiculed at every opportunity !

Joe Newells goal scoring and creativity has been poor most of his career! Look at the list of clubs he's played for throughout his career , the best being either Birmingham or ourselves!. Why is that?.

Campbell isn't like Newell or isn't as creative as Allan though probably works as hard as either and certainly scores more goals than both!

Long-term at 23 josh has plenty of time to improve which Newell hasn't. He's not got that luxury. You can criticise Campbell as much as you want though he will always be one of our own another thing Newell ain't. Long-term josh has a future at Hibs if he doesn't move , were will Newell be in 3 or 4 years time? probably back at Rotherham if he's lucky enough ! !

Btw I always thought alot of Newells set pieces have been s*** though I suppose it does boast his assist statistics that aren't great like his goal scoring record! Campbell is also worth more than Joe Newell has or will ever be for reasons you want to ignore aswell !

DH, I get that it’s easy to get drawn into frustrating back and forths with… let’s just say these circumstances! However I think you’ve let your frustration make you go to town on Joe Newell who is playing his best stuff for us this season.

That’s not to say none of your points are valid, but it’s not like you to turn it onto another player as one of the more positive posters and largely defensive of our boys 👍

I fully appreciate your frustration isn’t with JN 😁

brog
15-09-2023, 10:52 AM

I agree D. The same people saying the same thing ad nauseam adds nothing to the debate. Maybe you could start a Joe Newell thread? I'm missing those! :wink:

WeeRussell
15-09-2023, 10:53 AM
I'm all about results, and I'll take Hibs being a slightly "boring" team that wins games over an exciting team thats mid table.

However, the thought of us leaving out Youan/Boyle for Campbell is a depressing thought to me. Even if it does make sense from a defending point of view.

Won’t be happening. Rest easty 😁

AlbertK86
15-09-2023, 10:54 AM

Yep potentially…. I have a feeling we may see only on of Boyle or Youan playing on the wing with Obita on left when fit for tha defensive side needed.

Won’t be surprised to see Youan or Boyle through the middle

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 10:58 AM
He's worth more to our team, absolutely.

I don't think we'll make much (if any) money from either of them to be honest. I think Joe Newell will play here a couple/few more years until he's at an age where his transfer value is little to none. I don't think we'll ever sell Campbell for a great sum of money, maybe a small fee down the line. People can talk about interest from Italian teams all they want...if they wanted him they'd have got him.

If josh doesn't have a good season I'd agree with you though I really do think Josh will score double figures this season and if he does a Midfielder that can do that will certainly catch the eye of other clubs .

Goalscoring midfielders are imo a type of midfielder that is certainly wanted by clubs. There Hard to get ! . I think its quite possibly we could get a million plus for josh if he has a good season.

As for Newell after starting at Birmingham and playing for the mighty Peterborough, St Alban's and Rotherham we are probably as good as its going to get for him TBH .

Kato
15-09-2023, 11:02 AM
It's a team game, everybody brings different attributes. If Josh is to further his career those attributes will called upon and made more obvious. As HR says we now have a manager who sees one of his attributes as being able to bring out a players best and develop them into a rounded version of themselves. Proof is in the pudding so I'm not writing any player off right now as "not good enough", I'll leave that to the professional guy who is employed to make that decision.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

easty
15-09-2023, 11:06 AM
If josh doesn't have a good season I'd agree with you though I really do think Josh will score double figures this season and if he does a Midfielder that can do that will certainly catch the eye of other clubs .

Goalscoring midfielders are imo a type of midfielder that is certainly wanted by clubs. There Hard to get ! . I think its quite possibly we could get a million plus for josh if he has a good season.

As for Newell after starting at Birmingham and playing for the mighty Peterborough, St Alban's and Rotherham we are probably as good as its going to get for him TBH .

I know Rotherham aren't a particularly exciting team, but Newell was a regular there over a number of seasons in the English Championship, and that's a fairly decent achievement. Kevin Nisbet and Ryan Porteous were 2 of our best players, and they've just moved to that league.

It's not outwith the realms of possibility that we could get a million for Campbell, but if I was betting on it...my money would be on it not happening.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2023, 11:06 AM

In a playing sense Newell is currently worth a lot more to our team than Campbell is. I wouldn’t have said that a year ago but he’s massively improved his performance levels for me.

Campbell, or any player, will only ever be worth financially what folk want to pay for them. I don’t see Campbell as a million plus player, I don’t think he’ll play week in, week out as the season develops.

tonyrougier123
15-09-2023, 11:07 AM

I suggest you rewatch the raith cup goal,newell in plenty space plays a hospital pass to Jeggo which rovers snaffle up and go through to score. Newell seems to get a pass on this stuff whilst Campbell gets hounded. I’ve seen newell do this plenty. As another poster pointed out it’s just ignorance and I’ll go one further and say it’s lazy finger pointing. Both players offer plenty when we are good. The team recent seasons hasn’t been good enough and mistakes they both make need to be cut out. As for Josh being behind JDH folk need to have a serious word.

Ray_
15-09-2023, 11:08 AM

I'd really like Josh to work on the basics, like his passing and awareness, countless times he has been asleep or unaware, when attackers run off him and in to dangerous positions. He has an excellent work ethic and is usually calm when chances come his way, but as with defending, the lack of awareness, will see him have an unlikely shot blocked, with team mates in better positions. Very much hit and miss.

easty
15-09-2023, 11:10 AM
I suggest you rewatch the raith cup goal,newell in plenty space plays a hospital pass to Jeggo which rovers snaffle up and go through to score. Newell seems to get a pass on this stuff whilst Campbell gets hounded. I’ve seen newell do this plenty. As another poster pointed out it’s just ignorance and I’ll go one further and say it’s lazy finger pointing. Both players offer plenty when we are good. The team recent seasons hasn’t been good enough and mistakes they both make need to be cut out. As for Josh being behind JDH folk need to have a serious word.

You must be new to Hibs.net if you think Newell gets a pass on anything he does.

tamig
15-09-2023, 11:12 AM
I do.

I hope you’re not including me as one who’s said he isn’t good enough - or worse as some have said. I acknowledged his good points but said his decision making was poor and his technical ability wasn’t the best. I also said I hoped that coaching from the new guys would improve those weaknesses.

I understand why a lot of folk are saying he isn’t good enough but he does have good attributes and can be a valuable member of the squad if the weaker attributes can be improved.

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 11:17 AM
DH, I get that it’s easy to get drawn into frustrating back and forths with… let’s just say these circumstances! However I think you’ve let your frustration make you go to town on Joe Newell who is playing his best stuff for us this season.

That’s not to say none of your points are valid, but it’s not like you to turn it onto another player as one of the more positive posters and largely defensive of our boys 👍

I fully appreciate your frustration isn’t with JN 😁

Thanks mate 👍 you are of course right just like " big nose " is regularly 😂 . Joe Newell is a exceptional player who I agree is playing some of his best stuff this season and it's unfair of me to be critical of him . I think all our Midfielders have a part to play over the course of the season and have all different attributes that will be needed in different games. Thanks for making me see sense 😁 . Cmon Newell, Campbell , Jeggo ......... GGTTH 🇳🇬

tonyrougier123
15-09-2023, 11:24 AM
You must be new to Hibs.net if you think Newell gets a pass on anything he does.

There’s about four or five regular posters on here who would blame Campbell for stealing the sugar out their tea. You are one of them 😉

easty
15-09-2023, 11:33 AM
There’s about four or five regular posters on here who would blame Campbell for stealing the sugar out their tea. You are one of them 😉

Now that you point it out, I've not had sugar in my tea for a good few years, and I don't ever remember actually asking for it to be removed...

tonyrougier123
15-09-2023, 11:37 AM
Now that you point it out, I've not had sugar in my tea for a good few years, and I don't ever remember actually asking for it to be removed...

😂🤦*♂️👍🏻

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 12:08 PM
I hope you’re not including me as one who’s said he isn’t good enough - or worse as some have said. I acknowledged his good points but said his decision making was poor and his technical ability wasn’t the best. I also said I hoped that coaching from the new guys would improve those weaknesses.

I understand why a lot of folk are saying he isn’t good enough but he does have good attributes and can be a valuable member of the squad if the weaker attributes can be improved.

The number of players who have been called "not good enough" on this forum is incredible.

Newell, Campbell, JDH, Henderson, Jeggo, Doidge, ALF, Hanlon, Stevenson, Rocky, Fish, Marshall, Youan, Miller, Delferierre. I'll stop there, but you get my point. Nearly every Hibs player has been denigrated at one time or another.

"Shouldn't be near the first team", "Not good enough", "I'll drive him there", "Only good when he wants to be" etc etc . All those remarks are made through ignorance and most of the people making them have only, at best, a superficial understanding of football and what it takes to shape a team.

Someone added "Lazy" to the term ignorant. I agree with that. That's my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, true. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Truth be told you say one thing but totally contradict yourself then ! Campbell is a totally different type of midfielder from Newell and Allan yet you repeatedly try and make comparisons while saying it would be SILLY too :dunno: .. You'll be trying to make a comparison with Jeggo and Campbell next probably ��

I'm saying it's silly to compare them because Scotty was miles better, not because they're different players. So no, I'm not contradicting myself. Nice try though.

Passing is a ****ing universal skill. Doesn't matter what position or role a player plays. Joe Newell is a good passer. Controls the ball well. Creates chances. Campbell does not.

His goals, need to be worth his various deficiencies. They current are not.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 12:19 PM

No. There are plenty on here who know that the odd goal he scores is quite often not worth his poor general play. That's not a personal vendetta.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 12:27 PM
No. There are plenty on here who know that the odd goal he scores is quite often not worth his poor general play. That's not a personal vendetta.

What's the hardest thing to do in football?

easty
15-09-2023, 12:29 PM

the Maradona 7?

AlbertK86
15-09-2023, 12:31 PM

All opinions mate but definitely not a lazy finger point or observation.

I watch JC closely as I am desperate for academy boys to do well but when the ball comes into his area he very rarely anticipates. Starts his move to the ball too late but I’ll respect your opinion mate [emoji2375]

worcesterhibby
15-09-2023, 12:37 PM
Certainly, looking at his pass completion rate in the league so far this season. Josh is significantly the poorest passer in our current midfield

Newell - 78.4%
Jeggo - 80%
Obita - 81.7%
Doyle-Hayes - 82.1%
Campbell - 69.4%

Defensively he also comes out worse than everyone else in the midfield except Doyle-hayes when you look at combined stats for Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances and Blocks

Offensively he is the best of the midfield so far this season (in the league) by stats looking at goals, assist, shots and dribbles.

Josh has a great engine, and is currently at his best arriving in the box late and getting on the end of things. He needs to improve his passing and his ability to receive the ball and find himself space and time. I'd be very hopeful that a coach like Monty can improve him sginificantly.

tamig
15-09-2023, 12:58 PM
The number of players who have been called "not good enough" on this forum is incredible.

Newell, Campbell, JDH, Henderson, Jeggo, Doidge, ALF, Hanlon, Stevenson, Rocky, Fish, Marshall, Youan, Miller, Delferierre. I'll stop there, but you get my point. Nearly every Hibs player has been denigrated at one time or another.

"Shouldn't be near the first team", "Not good enough", "I'll drive him there", "Only good when he wants to be" etc etc . All those remarks are made through ignorance and most of the people making them have only, at best, a superficial understanding of football and what it takes to shape a team.

Someone added "Lazy" to the term ignorant. I agree with that. That's my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, true. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

That’s fair enough. And I agree - there are plenty outlandish views on here concerning players ability. The worst are when the player is written off before he’s barely kicked a ball. Similarly folk raising red flags and other such nonsense about a new manager before they’ve even been appointed.

Brightside
15-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Certainly, looking at his pass completion rate in the league so far this season. Josh is significantly the poorest passer in our current midfield

Newell - 78.4%
Jeggo - 80%
Obita - 81.7%
Doyle-Hayes - 82.1%
Campbell - 69.4%

Defensively he also comes out worse than everyone else in the midfield except Doyle-hayes when you look at combined stats for Tackles/Interceptions/Clearances and Blocks

Offensively he is the best of the midfield so far this season (in the league) by stats looking at goals, assist, shots and dribbles.

Josh has a great engine, and is currently at his best arriving in the box late and getting on the end of things. He needs to improve his passing and his ability to receive the ball and find himself space and time. I'd be very hopeful that a coach like Monty can improve him sginificantly.

But as I was saying earlier those stats makes sense as he plays further forward and as you do the pass completions go down. There is clear logic in that. Jeggo should really be much higher than 80%. - most of his passes are 10 yards.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 01:16 PM
That’s fair enough. And I agree - there are plenty outlandish views on here concerning players ability. The worst are when the player is written off before he’s barely kicked a ball. Similarly folk raising red flags and other such nonsense about a new manager before they’ve even been appointed.

As someone else pointed out, it would be bad enough if the remarks were being made by undercover gunts, but some of them are supposedly bona fide Hibs supporters! :bitchy:

greenlex

It’s the whole ****ing point of the game.

J-C
Why are we arguing over who is the best midfielder, our midfield hasn't exactly been the best in the past couple of seasons and there's a reason for that, they all have flaws. Whether it's passing, positioning, consistency they all struggle to do it all, until we spend loads of money on transfers and wages we'll always have players who have little flaws in their game.

CapitalGreen
15-09-2023, 01:28 PM
It’s the whole ****ing point of the game.

The whole point of the game is scoring more goals than your opponents, not simply scoring goals.

We have scored plenty goals this season (7 in 4 league games) - unfortunately we have conceded even more (8) and a big factor in that has been our opponents dominating against our midfield.

worcesterhibby
15-09-2023, 01:34 PM
But as I was saying earlier those stats makes sense as he plays further forward and as you do the pass completions go down. There is clear logic in that. Jeggo should really be much higher than 80%. - most of his passes are 10 yards.

That's a good point..although I'm not sure he does make that many passes near the box..he just tends to leather it at the goal when he receives it in a forward position ! (which is no bad thing :greengrin)

By the way, accoding to the stats, Megwa has played 4 mins, made 4 passes and they were all succesful. He's our best player ! :greengrin

easty
15-09-2023, 01:36 PM
As someone else pointed out, it would be bad enough if the remarks were being made by undercover gunts, but some of them are supposedly bona fide Hibs supporters! :bitchy:

C'mon now HR...

I'll be at Killie tomorrow cheering on Hibs, and Campbell if he plays. You can think a players not good enough for us and still be a Hibs fan :aok:

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 01:37 PM

Consistently controlling and winning matches.

We don't struggle to score. We struggle to win and keep winning. That tells me scoring isn't the hardest thing. At least not for Hibs.

Hibs have scored in say, 5 games in a row a lot more than we've won 5 games in a row.

Inconsistent players like Campbell, who have major weaknesses in their game, are part of that issue.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 01:38 PM

Who better to understand to weaknesses of a Hibs player than someone who watches them every week?

Do you think all our players are absolutely flawless?

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 02:07 PM
Consistently controlling and winning matches.

We don't struggle to score. We struggle to win and keep winning. That tells me scoring isn't the hardest thing. At least not for Hibs.

Hibs have scored in say, 5 games in a row a lot more than we've won 5 games in a row.

Inconsistent players like Campbell, who have major weaknesses in their game, are part of that issue.

The hardest thing to do is score a goal. Every single football manager, player and pundit would say the same thing. That's why good strikers are paid much, much more than players in other positions.

Under any other circumstances that would have been your answer, but not if it even slightly strengthens an opposing argument or weakens yours.

It's impossible to have an adult conversation with someone who can't concede even the most blatantly obvious point.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 02:13 PM
C'mon now HR...

I'll be at Killie tomorrow cheering on Hibs, and Campbell if he plays. You can think a players not good enough for us and still be a Hibs fan :aok:

Of course, I was replying to a post which talked about outlandish claims and folk suggesting there were red flags with our manager.

Some of the people making those remarks are Hibs fans.

Billy Whizz
15-09-2023, 02:17 PM
Hope he starts tomorrow

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2023, 02:19 PM
Hope he starts tomorrow

Only if he is injury free

Can’t have him stooping to the one side

Stubbsy90+2
15-09-2023, 02:28 PM
What’s this injury that keeps getting mentioned? Seen it mentioned numerous times he’s injured but still playing but I can’t remember seeing anyone mention it other than on here.

J-C
15-09-2023, 02:30 PM
What’s this injury that keeps getting mentioned? Seen it mentioned numerous times he’s injured but still playing but I can’t remember seeing anyone mention it other than on here.

Damaged shoulder, seemingly been strapped up every game.

Billy Whizz
15-09-2023, 02:31 PM

And it shows you keen he is to play for Hibs, some would still be on the treatment table

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 02:32 PM

He did that against St Mirren, didn't he?

JimBHibees
15-09-2023, 02:37 PM
And it shows you keen he is to play for Hibs, some would still be on the treatment table

Totally agree and kind of shows the guys character. Think people need to wond their neck in a bit in terms of critique.

JimBHibees
15-09-2023, 02:38 PM

LJ mentioned it before Lucern away

Donegal Hibby
15-09-2023, 02:51 PM
All this negativity about Campbell ! I can see him getting the winner on Saturday now :thumbsup:

Centre Hawf
15-09-2023, 02:55 PM

Newell - 78.4%
Jeggo - 80%
Obita - 81.7%
Doyle-Hayes - 82.1%
Campbell - 69.4%

I think while your stats are correct it's also quite a small sample size of the season so far (while playing with an injury all things considered).

Last season in it's entirety he was on 74.2% passes completed, while the rest of his teammates were:

JDH 78.7%
Joe Newell 76.9%
Jimmy Jeggo 69.9%
Levitt while at United was a lot higher than all with 81%

I think while it's not a stellar amount still for Josh it shows that over the course of a season and when fit and capable to play he's better than what he's shown so far this season and to be as close to Joe Newell (who I would describe as a good passer of the ball) is decent.

Since452
15-09-2023, 02:58 PM
All this negativity about Campbell ! I can see him getting the winner on Saturday now :thumbsup:

Johnson isn't here now. People need to direct their outrage somewhere 😉

Kato
15-09-2023, 03:09 PM
240 posts about a player when it's supposed to be a clean slate for everyone.

The Modfather
15-09-2023, 03:45 PM
240 posts about a player when it's supposed to be a clean slate for everyone.

Maybe Montgomery is the manager at the 4th time of asking to make a midfield of JDH, Newell & Campbell work…

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 04:10 PM
The hardest thing to do is score a goal. Every single football manager, player and pundit would say the same thing. That's why good strikers are paid much, much more than players in other positions.

Under any other circumstances that would have been your answer, but not if it even slightly strengthens an opposing argument or weakens yours.

It's impossible to have an adult conversation with someone who can't concede even the most blatantly obvious point.

Clichéd rubbish. It would not have been my answer because it's not true. Winning titles is harder than scoring goals. That's why so few manage it, especially over a long period.

Campbell scores more than Mcginn, McGeouch and Allan did. Which ones consistently won matches in Hibs shirts?

It's much harder to have a conversation with someone who thinks only scoring goals matters. If you consistently control matches with 11 quality footballers, you'll score a lot more ****ing goals than having a guy in there who pops up with a few and offers little else.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 04:11 PM

I'd love nothing more.

TrinityHFC
15-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Clichéd rubbish. It would not have been my answer because it's not true. Winning titles is harder than scoring goals. That's why so few manage it, especially over a long period.

Campbell scores more than Mcginn, McGeouch and Allan did. Which ones consistently won matches in Hibs shirts?

It's much harder to have a conversation with someone who thinks only scoring goals matters. If you consistently control matches with 11 quality footballers, you'll score a lot more ****ing goals than having a guy in there who pops up with a few and offers little else.

Suspect Campbell will continue to get plenty of football with us. He's fit and mobile and gets in good positions to score but you're right overall, I think we have better midfielders in the squad and we will surely look to add more quality when we can. Think there are better combinations between Jeggo, Newell, JDH and Levitt.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Suspect Campbell will continue to get plenty of football with us. He's fit and mobile and gets in good positions to score but you're right overall, I think we have better midfielders in the squad and we will surely look to add more quality when we can. Think there are better combinations between Jeggo, Newell, JDH and Levitt.

I hope he does, assuming he continues to improve. He is much better than when he debuted. More games like St Mirren and he'll be at Falkirk before he knows it, though.

Passing is a major weakness, don't care where he plays. It was awful when he was deeper too. Must improve.

tonyrougier123
15-09-2023, 04:47 PM
I'd love nothing more.

Aye ye would! Christian Doidge scoring the winner 😉

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 04:53 PM
Aye ye would! Christian Doidge scoring the winner 😉

Na, I've already won that one, I need a loss. Keeps me humble.

tonyrougier123
15-09-2023, 04:54 PM
I hope he does, assuming he continues to improve. He is much better than when he debuted. More games like St Mirren and he'll be at Falkirk before he knows it, though.

Passing is a major weakness, don't care where he plays. It was awful when he was deeper too. Must improve.

Be at Falkirk before he knows it. That statement sums up your absolute garbage opinion. Classless and way of the mark btw!You and a few others just doubling down on Josh, just acknowledge that some of the match day thread comments by you and others who continue to harpoon him at every opportunity. And back handed fleeting moments of “he was good but need to do it regularly” like he’s going to score hat tricks every week. Joker.😝

WeeRussell
15-09-2023, 05:04 PM

Ah that well-known personal attribute of ‘winning titles’.

The maradona 7 comparison would have made more sense, and that was said in complete jest.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2023, 05:10 PM
Be at Falkirk before he knows it. That statement sums up your absolute garbage opinion. Classless and way of the mark btw!You and a few others just doubling down on Josh, just acknowledge that some of the match day thread comments by you and others who continue to harpoon him at every opportunity. And back handed fleeting moments of “he was good but need to do it regularly” like he’s going to score hat tricks every week. Joker.��

I do not harpoon him at every opportunity. I rarely comment in match threads as I go to games. I think he desperately needs to improve his passing and control of the football. That is it. An opinion about his footballing ability formed entirely on watching him for 2+ years. I actually think he has improved a lot. A positive opinion based on watching him too. Does that not fit your nonsense agenda?

There is something between thinking he is Zidane and thinking he is utter pish. He is okay, some good, some bad, a lot to improve on. And yes, if he continues like the first day, he will not be at Hibs for long. He was playing against us.

Ah that well-known personal attribute of ‘winning titles’.

The maradona 7 comparison would have made more sense, and that was said in complete jest.

Was nothing whatsoever to do with personal attributes. The question was ''what is the hardest thing to do in football''.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2023, 05:14 PM

An individual doesn't win titles.

The hardest thing for an individual footballer to do in a game is to score goals.

Campbell scores goals.