good luck to him

sean04
10-09-2023, 05:19 PM
Great news for hibs, off the wage bill quickly

Itsnoteasy
10-09-2023, 05:24 PM
managed HFC

good luck to him

So did Butcher did you wish him good luck when he left.

Diclonius
10-09-2023, 05:25 PM

I must have missed when Johnson got us relegated.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 05:25 PM
Sigh

Scottie
10-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Nae malice to the guy but pleased he’s off the wages quick.

Jones28
10-09-2023, 05:53 PM
Cool. Bye Lee.

NC1875
10-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Feel sorry for the fleetwood fans listening to him slaver

hibee1875
10-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Great news for hibs, off the wage bill quickly

How does that work? Severance pay only lasts the duration they’re unemployed?

ancient hibee
10-09-2023, 06:03 PM

Depends on contract working. Mostly if there's a severance pay clause you'll get that when sacked regardless of whether you get another job right away.

Lancs Harp
10-09-2023, 06:03 PM
Feel sorry for the fleetwood fans listening to him slaver

Fleetwood are on borrowed time with owner Pilley in the nick.

Like most of us I got fed up with the bull and guff from LJ but dont have ill feelings to the fella, just glad hes gone. I wish him luck, I think he might need it with the Cods.

Centre Hawf
10-09-2023, 06:09 PM
Depends on contract working. Mostly if there's a severance pay clause you'll get that when sacked regardless of whether you get another job right away.

Him taking a job so quickly tells you he probably had a pre agreed severance package of a couple weeks/months. Gone are the days of sacking managers and paying up entire contracts.

ancient hibee
10-09-2023, 06:12 PM
Him taking a job so quickly tells you he probably had a pre agreed severance package of a couple weeks/months. Gone are the days of sacking managers and paying up entire contracts.

Yes. Maybe 6 months on the length of his contract. Still half a year's wages not to be sneezed at plus his Fleetwood wage.

A Hi-Bee
10-09-2023, 06:13 PM
Good luck to the guy, at least he has now found a support that will understand his codswallop.

Vault Boy
10-09-2023, 06:14 PM
A lot riding on this for Lee, it can be a long old way looking down from the bottom of EFL L1.

truehibernian
10-09-2023, 06:14 PM

It’s usually three months pay these days, certainly won’t be paying up contracts.

Tommy75
10-09-2023, 06:34 PM
Yes. Maybe 6 months on the length of his contract. Still half a year's wages not to be sneezed at plus his Fleetwood wage.

Didn't Appleton turn us down because he wanted a longer severance package than we were prepared to offer?

Anyway good luck to the guy. Gave us some decent results but just wasn't good enough.

Wilson
10-09-2023, 06:35 PM
A lot riding on this for Lee, it can be a long old way looking down from the bottom of EFL L1.

I think Fleetwood are hopeful that their team is better than the position they are in. Might be a good opportunity for Lee if they are right. Hope he does well for them.

Stubbsy90+2
10-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Unlucky Fleetwood.

The Spaceman
10-09-2023, 08:49 PM
Good luck to him - he’s in the past now and left with dignity in the end.

JimBHibees
10-09-2023, 08:49 PM
Hope he does well. Seemed a decent enough guy.

10-09-2023, 08:52 PM
Maybe he'll take Tavares from us in January. 🤔

Borderhibbie76
10-09-2023, 09:18 PM
Wish him well just glad he's nowhere near us anymore. Seemed a decent t enough guy minus the slavering, something Fleetwood fans will very quickly get used too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

WestCoastHibby
10-09-2023, 09:37 PM
Who cares !? Just glad we don’t have to be embarrassed every post match press conference now

NAE NOOKIE
10-09-2023, 09:41 PM
Ach well, good luck to him, Fleetwood have never done us any harm so I hope for their fans sake he comes good in a way he couldn't at Hibs. You never know, he might play one of their centre halves at right back and discover the guy is a latter day Paul Breitner :greengrin

Up-the-slope
10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Fleetwood will get the full benefit of the app..........:rolleyes:

10-09-2023, 09:53 PM
Fleetwood will get the full benefit of the app..........:rolleyes:

Spraffchat 🤔

He's here!
10-09-2023, 10:54 PM
Some spectacularly pathetic comments on here. You'd think the guy had got us relegated. Gave it his best, genuinely thought he could still succeed but it just didn't really happen for him.

Decent enough manager overall when you look at his record (as Fleetwood clearly believe) and I wish him well on the next step of his journey in what is a horribly cutthroat profession.

WeeRussell
10-09-2023, 10:57 PM
Who cares !? Just glad we don’t have to be embarrassed every post match press conference now

I can’t recall I single time I’ve ever been embarrassed by someone doing a post match interview, never mind every time from the same person.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 11:08 PM
I can’t recall I single time I’ve ever been embarrassed by someone doing a post match interview, never mind every time from the same person.

It's such a senseless waste of human life, isn't it?

WeeRussell
10-09-2023, 11:22 PM
It's such a senseless waste of human life, isn't it?

Well, good luck to them!

ekhibee
10-09-2023, 11:39 PM
Some spectacularly pathetic comments on here. You'd think the guy had got us relegated. Gave it his best, genuinely thought he could still succeed but it just didn't really happen for him.

Decent enough manager overall when you look at his record (as Fleetwood clearly believe) and I wish him well on the next step of his journey in what is a horribly cutthroat profession.

This.

worcesterhibby
11-09-2023, 03:33 AM
Good luck LJ . Nice guy, hope his career flourishes

Since452
11-09-2023, 05:40 AM
All the best Lee. Really bought in to the club and managed us through a horrible situation after Rons death with nothing but respect. Will be watching Fleetwood results with interest.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2023, 05:47 AM
He's moved on and we will move on. Wish him all the best.

JimBHibees
11-09-2023, 05:59 AM

Agree can't say I was ever embarrassed either. Sure like all managers his view of the game may have been different from mine on occasion however genuinely looked like he enjoyed being our manager. It did not work out so move on.

MWHIBBIES
11-09-2023, 06:26 AM

Butchers early goal one after st mirren away was the worst. That was embarrassing.

flash
11-09-2023, 06:30 AM
Good luck to him.

If he improves their league position the way he did ours am sure they will be delighted.

Brightside
11-09-2023, 06:30 AM
We maybe need to stop having threads on him.

Wilson
11-09-2023, 07:17 AM
We maybe need to stop having threads on him.

Perish the thought. He's embarassing enough for some with his clothes on!

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2023, 09:52 AM
Yes let’s just wish him well. In terms of his own record he underperformed at Hibs, but he did his best and treated the club and supporters with respect.

tamig
11-09-2023, 10:09 AM
All the best LJ. Sad it wasn’t to be for you here but thanks for your efforts and good luck at Fleetwood.

hibee-boys
11-09-2023, 10:21 AM
“High tempo, attacking football, suffocate with our press”. His first interview with them sounds like a lift and shift from his first interview with us.

Hiber-nation
11-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Hope he does well. Wasn't my cup of tea and was glad to see him go but improved us last season after inheriting a right mess and almost got 4th

tonyrougier123
11-09-2023, 10:41 AM
This might be controversial,I see Lee Johnson as a prime example of a guy bouncing from job to job in a market that now offers opportunities with a quick turnover,part of the modern game? I think so. Usually back in the day you got the sack in football management and waited forever to dip your toes in again.
Lee Johnson will have pay slips from hibs,Sunderland and now fleetwood town bursting from his office drawer,coincidentally or not he’s doing not bad for being a complete slaver and a gentleman I’ll add 🙄.

Greenio
11-09-2023, 10:58 AM
On paper his time at Hibs is a positive for him and looks good. Improved our league positioning, got us into Europe and to a third road knock out to Villa.

I wish him the best had zero issue with him or the way he went about interviews or whatever people like to rip him for

Swedish hibee
11-09-2023, 11:07 AM
All the best Lee. Hope he does well.

If you don't like his interviews, never sign a Scandinavian. We're notorious for being unique!

ian cruise
11-09-2023, 11:14 AM
On paper his time at Hibs is a positive for him and looks good. Improved our league positioning, got us into Europe and to a third road knock out to Villa.

I wish him the best had zero issue with him or the way he went about interviews or whatever people like to rip him for

Absolutely the right call for LJ to go when he did, but I also think it's fair to define his time with Hibs a relative success for the reason's you've said. I also suspect that is absolutely the limit of what he could do with a club like ours and unfortunately not being able to improve players performances or lift the team has cost him. Best of luck to him in the new role.

From Montgomery's time at CCM it certainly looks like he may be the man to pick up and improve upon what Johnson left. I firmly believe a good man manager will get a lot more out of this squad and he seems to be that.

Since452
11-09-2023, 11:17 AM

Good point. I agree that he had to go in the end but his overall record will be something he can use as a positive. I don't think he's left a bad squad. It's a good one for NM to take over.

Booked4Being-Ugly
11-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Good luck to LJ. I thought he was still a decent manager at Hibs.

He was unlucky last season in that he lost Boyle, Nisbet and his temp replacement Kukharevych for lengthy periods due to injury, as well as others. Yes, most teams had injuries last season but I don't know another team that lost that amount of qualitative firepower for that length of time. I don't think the recruitment team done him any favours either signing largely prospects to try and work with. How much involvement LJ had in recruitment we'll likely never know.

One other thing in his defence was some of the outrageous refereeing decisions that went against us last season.

I didn't mind his ramblings either, although only after a victory where i enjoyed some of his interviews. To me it was more entertaining than the tired cliches that managers come out with. Must admit when we got beat i couldn't listen to him as his ramblings then became annoying.

The start to this season however saw him play some odd route one football. Worked against Groningen but failed in the 1st three league games. Also trying to shoehorn players into unnatural positions had many scratching their heads, including me.

Like i said was a decent manager, maybe not great though which is what we're all hoping for in the new manager.

basehibby
11-09-2023, 01:12 PM
Some very bitter comments here when there's really no need. Good luck to the man!

J-C
11-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Some very bitter comments here when there's really no need. Good luck to the man!

TBF was there really any need for a new thread on LJ, it's been done to death, new man in place and time to move forward.

Cod Boy
11-09-2023, 01:58 PM
Just thought I had got rid of him then this

Tambo
11-09-2023, 03:16 PM
What are they saying over on the Fleetwood message boards Donegal?

Greencore
11-09-2023, 03:50 PM
God help them.

Baldy Foghorn
11-09-2023, 04:08 PM

:top marks:aok:

Donegal Hibby
11-09-2023, 04:11 PM
What are they saying over on the Fleetwood message boards Donegal?

Not really got a proper forum that I can find T . Though Fleetwood board seem happy with there choice which they should i think .

With them sitting 23rd in the league LJ might be exactly what they need as he steered Oldham , Barnsley and Bristol away from relegation trouble in the past .Will be looking out for Fleetwood results now .

We all move on now though , LJ with Fleetwood and us with Monty Though decent guy who done his best for our football club and I wish him well . Good luck LJ .
https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/2023/september/johnson-announcement/

Cod Boy
11-09-2023, 05:08 PM
Suprised that Jamie Mcallister isn’t his assistant

Bad Habits
11-09-2023, 05:11 PM

May be staying up here with his son?

McD
11-09-2023, 05:19 PM

Iirc… when Craig Levein was sacked from the Scotland job, he made it clear he wouldn’t touch another job until his contract ran out, out of spite, so the sfa would have to keep paying him until the end of the contract, if he’d taken another job they could have stopped

Billy Whizz
11-09-2023, 05:19 PM

Did he not move his family back to Scotland, when LJ joined Hibs

jacomo
11-09-2023, 05:23 PM

Lee has acted with considerably more dignity than Butcher did. It didn’t work out but I wish him well.

Smartie
11-09-2023, 05:39 PM
I quite liked him, his record with us was respectable and I wish him well.

It was right for him to go as our crowd got to a point that it wasn't going to come back from but there is no need for any nastiness towards him.

Spike Mandela
11-09-2023, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the trip to Lucerne Lee.:aok:

andrew_dundee
11-09-2023, 06:55 PM
Fairplay to Lee. He had his ups and his downs but since he left he's acted with dignity and hasn't run down the club.

I hope he finds success.

HoboHarry
11-09-2023, 07:02 PM
Fairplay to Lee. He had his ups and his downs but since he left he's acted with dignity and hasn't run down the club.

I hope he finds success.
:agree:

7heaven
11-09-2023, 07:10 PM

Have to agree mate.
Lucerne was amazing.

Carheenlea
11-09-2023, 07:27 PM

I hope he finds success.

Agree :agree:

Itsnoteasy
11-09-2023, 07:39 PM
Have to agree mate.
Lucerne was amazing.

No one thanking him for the trip to play The Andorran Goat Herders

LancsHibs
11-09-2023, 08:02 PM
No one thanking him for the trip to play The Andorran Goat Herders

😂 no he was non too popular that night

Borderhibbie76
11-09-2023, 08:30 PM
I dont feel anything other than wishing LJ well, he wasn't the man for us ultimately but we had some right good highs under him as well as the lows, the Derby win at ER, Boyles return, pumping Celtic post split lats season and Lucern this season. But the inconsistency killed him which many Sunderland fans warned us about when he was appointed. I actually think and hope he does well at Fleetwood, he's probably better suited to a smaller club with less fan pressure. Time for us to move on now as a club

WeeRussell
12-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Butchers early goal one after st mirren away was the worst. That was embarrassing.

👍 Admittedly that’s probably as close as it gets, but I wouldn’t say I was embarrassed. We’re all different but for me:

Coughing fit during a job interview - embarrassing
Getting so drunk I piss the bed as a grown man - embarrassing.

Hibs manager appealing for someone to get out the way so we can take a throw-in, or saying something a bit daft in one of their interviews - not embarrassing for me.

But yeah.. that butcher one was pretty bad!

Cat Stanton
13-09-2023, 07:14 AM
Good news. Lee's had his pencil sharpened: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-claims-hibs-were-30924990

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 07:19 AM
Good news. Lee's had his pencil sharpened: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-claims-hibs-were-30924990

“ There’s a lot of players who were not good enough in the building. ”

Miraculous how much better they looked under SDG.

Piss off Lee and learn how to take responsibility and act with a little class.

He's here!
13-09-2023, 07:19 AM

Not unreasonable comments.

He's here!
13-09-2023, 07:22 AM

I don't see a lack of class there. He's very complimentary about the club and it's hard to disagree that there were/are players at ER who don't measure up. He genuinely reckons he could have turned things around. I wasn't convinced he could but we'll never know.

Not In The Know
13-09-2023, 07:24 AM
Iirc… when Craig Levein was sacked from the Scotland job, he made it clear he wouldn’t touch another job until his contract ran out, out of spite, so the sfa would have to keep paying him until the end of the contract, if he’d taken another job they could have stopped

It was also worth way more than any sensible club would pay the Pan Dweller.

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 07:24 AM
I don't see a lack of class there. He's very complimentary about the club and it's hard to disagree that there were/are players at ER who don't measure up. He genuinely reckons he could have turned things around. I wasn't convinced he could but we'll never know.

I disagree. His often bizarre team selections when things were going badly was just as much to blame as any player.

It reads to me like a bad workman blaming their tools, when SDG had them looking like a completely different team.

It’s very poor.

flash
13-09-2023, 07:26 AM
Nothing remotely disrespectful in what he says.

If I was him I would be frustrated at how things turned out too.

Stubbsy90+2
13-09-2023, 07:27 AM

A lot of players not good enough etc, absolutely no responsibility taken for anything himself though. He sat here and bigged up guys like Jair who he couldn’t believe we’d managed to sign etc.

Crap manager who done a fairly crap job.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 07:28 AM

Players that he brought in haha if he was so unhappy with our squad why did he persist on starting the same players that got the previous 2 managers sacked?

He had 3 windows to build a team and failed massively. I personally believe he never had the dressing room from the off never mind losing it.

And yes we did finish 5th but the aim should always be 3rd. He had us knocked out of the group stages of the league cup 😂

degenerated
13-09-2023, 07:32 AM

Piss off Lee and learn how to take responsibility and act with a little class.Johnson appears to display a level of class that is clearly beyond you.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 07:36 AM
Johnson appears to display a level of class that is clearly beyond you.

I don't think it is class I find it patronising. I don't believe he means what he says. He just says the nice things to make himself look good.

The real Lee Johnson is an arrogant man who cannot take the blame for a single defeat and will go out his way to take credit for every single victory. So glad we have an honest down to earth manager in charge of our club.

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 07:37 AM

In what manner?

After publically calling Will Fish out at the start of the season, he’s called a lot of the players not good enough, completely ignoring his own failings.

If you think that’s class, that’s quite telling.

Stubbsy90+2
13-09-2023, 07:43 AM
In what manner?

After publically calling Will Fish out at the start of the season, he’s called a lot of the players not good enough, completely ignoring his own failings.

If you think that’s class, that’s quite telling.

On the presumption he’s not talking about Hanlon who he reappointed as captain this season, Newell who simply is good enough, Campbell who scored a lot of goals for him and he played regularly or Cadden who he bemoaned being out, that only leaves JDH, Doidge and Stevenson really and a handful of youngsters.

The rest of them he had a hand in signing. So who’s fault is it that there’s a lot of players that aren’t good enough really, Lee? This time last year he was telling us he couldn’t believe we managed to get Jair, Kenneh had “a lot of quality” and was “a real coup” and he “couldn’t wait to get started” with McKirdy. David Marshall was also “an excellent goalkeeper” and “you need players like Jeggo in a successful team”.

There’ll no doubt be the same chat for other players.

The guy is an absolute slaver who is trying to absolve himself of any blame. You played a part in signing them Lee, if they aren’t good enough then that’s your fault.

Rumble de Thump
13-09-2023, 07:44 AM
Some of the players aren't particularly good but they should be good enough to beat St Mirren, Motherwell and Linvingston. He also guided us to what is generally considered to be our worst European defeat, and that was before having to play two competitive games per week even became an issue.

He was sacked because he should have been doing better with what he had available.

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 07:57 AM
Some of the players aren't particularly good but they should be good enough to beat St Mirren, Motherwell and Linvingston. He also guided us to what is generally considered to be our worst European defeat, and that was before having to play two competitive games per week even became an issue.

He was sacked because he should have been doing better with what he had available.

All he had to reply was “yes, I think I should have had more time but that’s football. I’ve got a new challenge and I’m looking forward to it”.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. The best trait in a leader is the ability to say “I got that wrong” as it shows humility, a willingness to learn from mistakes, and the willingness to take responsibility.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2023, 08:10 AM
And me, the guys a slaver and Fleetwood will find that out very quickly.

Smartie
13-09-2023, 08:15 AM
All he had to reply was “yes, I think I should have had more time but that’s football. I’ve got a new challenge and I’m looking forward to it”.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. The best trait in a leader is the ability to say “I got that wrong” as it shows humility, a willingness to learn from mistakes, and the willingness to take responsibility.

Not like Lee to have the choice to make a short, quick, sensible response but instead bury himself by saying too much though, is it?

I don't disagree that we had too many players who weren't good enough in the building, I also think that we didn't have enough good ones in the building.

He got it badly wrong during our run of fixtures at the start of the season, invited pressure on himself and paid the ultimate price. He might actually still be in a job if we'd been put out by the Andorrans and he could focus on getting our best team out every week in the league but that's auntie's baws territory.

I don't actually think there's a manager out there who could have juggled our early European fixtures with our league fixtures with the squad we have, which is maybe worth bearing in mind for the future if we don't want to be conducting another managerial search and using the last of our budget to do so when we should be putting the finishing touches to our squad at the end of August.

He's here!
13-09-2023, 08:15 AM
I don't think it is class I find it patronising. I don't believe he means what he says. He just says the nice things to make himself look good.

The real Lee Johnson is an arrogant man who cannot take the blame for a single defeat and will go out his way to take credit for every single victory. So glad we have an honest down to earth manager in charge of our club.

Having just been appointed manager of another club he's hardly going to say he did a crap job at Hibs - which he didn't, it just wasn't a particularly good job.

With regard to his post-match interviews I have to disagree with some on here. I found him to be pretty honest about performances, good and bad, and I thought he always made a decent stab at analysing what went right or wrong.

He wasn't a great Hibs boss by any means but he was by no means an awful one when you look at our overall record down the years, which to be frank is pretty underwhelming. Personally I never quite felt he was the right fit and his approach to those early League Cup games betrayed a lack of awareness of how important any cup game is to a club like ours.

We surely need to keep our powder dry when it comes to Montgomery though? To shower him with praise and hail his honesty etc before he's even taken charge of a game is only setting ourselves up for a fall - at the moment there's no guarantee he won't be copping the same flak as LJ a few months down the line.

Basildon Hibs
13-09-2023, 08:19 AM
Players that he brought in haha if he was so unhappy with our squad why did he persist on starting the same players that got the previous 2 managers sacked?

He had 3 windows to build a team and failed massively. I personally believe he never had the dressing room from the off never mind losing it.

And yes we did finish 5th but the aim should always be 3rd. He had us knocked out of the group stages of the league cup 😂

Tha aim should always be 'first'...😉

Basildon Hibs
13-09-2023, 08:23 AM
Having just been appointed manager of another club he's hardly going to say he did a crap job at Hibs - which he didn't, it just wasn't a particularly good job.

With regard to his post-match interviews I have to disagree with some on here. I found him to be pretty honest about performances, good and bad, and I thought he always made a decent stab at analysing what went right or wrong.

He wasn't a great Hibs boss by any means but he was by no means an awful one when you look at our overall record down the years, which to be frank is pretty underwhelming. Personally I never quite felt he was the right fit and his approach to those early League Cup games betrayed a lack of awareness of how important any cup game is to a club like ours.

We surely need to keep our powder dry when it comes to Montgomery though? To shower him with praise and hail his honesty etc before he's even taken charge of a game is only setting ourselves up for a fall - at the moment there's no guarantee he won't be copping the same flak as LJ a few months down the line.

Great last paragraph. You'd think it was the '2nd Coming'.

We'll have to wait and see what this new bloke is all about, before getting a frog in our pockets. 😁👍

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 08:37 AM

heretoday
13-09-2023, 08:42 AM
Lee has acted with considerably more dignity than Butcher did. It didn’t work out but I wish him well.

Hear Hear! He was always smartly turned out too.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 08:42 AM
Top journalism.

"Do you think you should have been given more time?"

Brightside
13-09-2023, 08:43 AM

Maybe stop having these threads eh. He's made some remarks in the press about Hibs. People wanted to debate that. Anything negative about him and a few claim its classless. "I'm sorry it didn't work out. I tried my best. We all move on". No one would care if he said something like that. But again he's said all the good things were all down to him and anything negative was the players (HIS PLAYERS). He has zero class (and yes Hibbyradge I'd happily say it all to his face)

Admin should just stop allowing any threads about LJ.

WeeRussell
13-09-2023, 08:49 AM
Maybe stop having these threads eh. He's made some remarks in the press about Hibs. People wanted to debate that. Anything negative about him and a few claim its classless. "I'm sorry it didn't work out. I tried my best. We all move on". No one would care if he said something like that. But again he's said all the good things were all down to him and anything negative was the players (HIS PLAYERS). He has zero class (and yes Hibbyradge I'd happily say it all to his face)

You keep appealing for no LJ threads, BS.

Couldn’t you just stop reading them?

Wilson
13-09-2023, 08:50 AM

His quote was about when he first took the job on. The work that needed done to get us from 8th to Europe. He didn't say the players that were there at the end weren't good enough.

Since452
13-09-2023, 08:54 AM

He's clearly talking about the squad he took over

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 08:55 AM

Thread was started around when he got a new job and as a ex Hibs manager who done and tried his best at our football club some of us wanted to wish him all the best as we do with other ex managers , players and staff that leave our club .

The thread was never a problem in fans wanting to wish LJ , McAllister and Owen well in the future Though some just couldn't help themselves unfortunately. He's shown more class than what's been said about him tbh .

Since452
13-09-2023, 08:57 AM
Nothing remotely disrespectful in what he says.

If I was him I would be frustrated at how things turned out too.

Don't disagree with anything he says. He even says that ultimately he knows it's about winning games and he didn't. The Lee Johnson pile on is just a bit weird to be honest. He could sneeze and folk would be offended.

Brightside
13-09-2023, 08:57 AM
You keep appealing for no LJ threads, BS.

Couldn’t you just stop reading them?

A terrible weakness.

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 08:59 AM
His quote was about when he first took the job on. The work that needed done to get us from 8th to Europe. He didn't say the players that were there at the end weren't good enough.

And yet Kenneh, Jair, and some others he signed were clearly also deemed not good enough.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 09:01 AM
There's nothing wrong in what he said.

He was asked a stupid question which he tried to answer and he gave his reasons for his answer.

In doing so, he obviously has to point out his successes and the challenges he faced.

I don't understand the level of hatred people seem to have towards him. I can't remember another manager being villified to this level and in this way.

He wasn't brilliant, but he treated the club and the fans with respect. He's also gone. Why people feel the need to obsess over his every word beats me.

Smartie
13-09-2023, 09:15 AM

He was asked a stupid question which he tried to answer and he gave his reasons for his answer.

In doing so, he obviously has to point out his successes and the challenges he faced.

I don't understand the level of hatred people seem to have towards him. I can't remember another manager being villified to this level and in this way.

He wasn't brilliant, but he treated the club and the fans with respect. He's also gone. Why people feel the need to obsess over his every word beats me.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we've actually invested a fair bit of cash in the team during his time with us, an amount many of his predecessors would have loved to have had access to.

That's raised the bar of expectation. I hesitate to use the word "entitlement" but I definitely sense a feeling amongst some that since we're now ploughing a bit more cash into the playing squad that we are now "entitled" to expect a certain level of performance and that was a level that Johnson's team didn't always reach, especially in our early season league performances.

That is therefore reflected in some pretty emotionally charged stuff that does seem a bit disproportionate to me.

If you want disrespect - see Calderwood. If you want horrible runs of form that grew impossible to turn around - see Butcher, Duffy, Ross.

Johnson wasn't really anywhere near as bad as those (or wasn't allowed to get to the stage where he was) so some of the vitriol seems a bit weird to me too.

Bridge hibs
13-09-2023, 09:24 AM

Piss off Lee and learn how to take responsibility and act with a little class.Well going by that he is only saying what a fair few on here are saying too then, Hanlon, McKirdy, Fish, Stevenson, Campbell, Marshall, Henderson, JDH, Jeggo among others have been hammered by posters on here, who is right and who is wrong ?

Northernhibee
13-09-2023, 09:45 AM
Well going by that he is only saying what a fair few on here are saying too then, Hanlon, McKirdy, Fish, Stevenson, Campbell, Marshall, Henderson, JDH, Jeggo among others have been hammered by posters on here, who is right and who is wrong ?

The difference is those posting on here weren’t in charge of the first team squad.

The Tubs
13-09-2023, 10:07 AM

Reading between the lines of what Montgomery has said so far for the reasons he's been given the job, it definitely sounds a bit like that.

Hibbyradge
13-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Reading between the lines of what Montgomery has said so far for the reasons he's been given the job, it definitely sounds a bit like that.

I must have missed him talking about the reasons for his appointment. I thought I'd crambed everything in! :greengrin

In which interview did he discuss that?

Bridge hibs
13-09-2023, 10:11 AM
The difference is those posting on here weren’t in charge of the first team squad.

They were of the same opinion though werent they ? So if Johnson has said a few of the squad were not good enough was he wrong ? Both you and I watch hibs, what we see from the stands is the same Johnson sees from the dug outs

It doesnt really matter what he says though, flip it round and if he said we had a great squad he would get hammered for being a lying ******* whereas he has came out and said what many on here have said for months on end and he is getting slated for that 🤣

jeffers
13-09-2023, 10:16 AM

I’d intended not to comment on this thread as my thoughts on Johnson are well known, but I can’t agree with your comment that he treated the club and fans with respect. Didn’t see much respect when he was giving the calm down gesture to fans who’d travelled hundreds of miles to watch the team’s **** show in Andorra or more than one occasion when he turned round to fans at ER. Even his statement after he left the club was all about trying to make himself look good, similar to his words when Sunderland sacked him. Would it be respecting the club turning up for training still half cut from the night before ?

I know we won’t agree, but imo part of the reason there is hatred towards him (or maybe just dislike) is down to the way he regularly criticised players in public, while rarely recognising his own failings. Yet he was quick to claim credit when things did go well.

I’ve said it before, he’s not a good guy and I’ve never understood what folk saw or heard to make them think he was.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 10:22 AM

It wouldn't surprise me mate I don't know how any player takes him seriously

Pretty Boy
13-09-2023, 10:25 AM
If he said that there were players in the building when he arrived who weren't good enough is he wrong? I doubt many would argue he is. Further if he said the same about the state of the squad when he left then I still think he would be spot on. Obviously the latter is partly down to him but it doesn't make it any less true.

I don't doubt a better manager gets more out of this squad but there is still a glaring lack of strength in depth and a fair few who are never going to take you to being a team consistently finishing 3rd. If Montgomery has to deal with the same injury issues as Johnson did then he's going to struggle to consistently get results as well, the downgrade from our starters to the squad players is notable.

I didn't like Johnson at all, from almost day 1 I couldn't take to him, but having read his comments on this occasion I don't think he's far wide off the mark.

Cardinal G
13-09-2023, 10:30 AM

Aye for me that was the highlight of his tenure, aye we beat Hearts and Celtic at home last season but that trip was brilliant for me.
Regarding his comments yesterday and being a sunderland season ticket holder history is repeating itself, it's never is or was his own shortcomings, he always blames something else, I just wished sometimes he would reflect and take some degree of responsibility for when things go wrong, I would respect him more if he did so. Wish him no misfortune going forward but feel as if now he is at the right level for his skills and ability. He may manage at a higher level in his career but is going to have to accept his own errors and take responsibility for them when they happen.

GloryGlory
13-09-2023, 10:34 AM

I find his comment about two games a week being responsible for the bad start to the league quite unbelievable. Surely the match schedule was known well in advance, when we finished last season, and as head coach he should have ensured that the team was fully prepared.

flash
13-09-2023, 10:36 AM
I find his comment about two games a week being responsible for the bad start to the league quite unbelievable. Surely the match schedule was known well in advance, when we finished last season, and as head coach he should have ensured that the team was fully prepared.

Wonder why Hertz, Aberdeen and Rangers have all struggled with the schedule too?
Not to mention various teams in years gone by.
Almost as if its something that is perfectly normal.
I wanted him to go but this sort of ludicrous nonsense still needs challenged.

Auckland Hibs
13-09-2023, 10:41 AM

100%

Excuse after excuse from LJ, the guys made of Teflon and nothing is ever his fault or doing.

He was full of absolute BS.

J-C
13-09-2023, 10:41 AM
A lot of players not good enough, yet many of those deemed not good enough were signed under his watch, only 2-3 came in under Maloney the rest were his players, fact is he couldn't cut it here and due to results he's now gone. WTF is he on about bloody sharpening pencils etc, that's why many couldn't take to him, he's a slaver and talks bollocks most of the time.

Since452
13-09-2023, 10:42 AM

Wonder what the Aberdeen and Hearts manager(s) would say to that? I think it's a big part of why we've struggled and teams the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will have that problem. Sure Motherwell and Dundee United suffered with it last season too. I have no doubt our league form will pick up now we're out of Europe. I can see why Johnson thinks he's a bit unfortunate not to have the chance to show that, especially after delivering the Luzern results. Football is a tough business though and every sacked manager will point to being unlucky in some shape or form. I was a Lee Johnson fan but i agreed with his eventual sacking in the end.

Smartie
13-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Wonder what the Aberdeen and Hearts manager(s) would say to that? I think it's a big part of why we've struggled and teams the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will have that problem. Sure Motherwell and Dundee United suffered with it last season too. I have no doubt our league form will pick up now we're out of Europe. I can see why Johnson thinks he's a bit unfortunate not to have the chance to show that, especially after delivering the Luzern results. Football is a tough business though and every sacked manager will point to being unlucky in some shape or form. I was a Lee Johnson fan but i agreed with his eventual sacking in the end.

I have sympathy for Johnson to an extent, as it was clearly a squad not equipped for the run of fixtures... but he himself had come out and said he thought we had just about enough to get through the European games and the first few league games.

We didn't, as it was proved. If he'd either kept his mouth shut or moaned about not having enough players before the event then I might have more sympathy. He thought we had enough, he was wrong, he paid the price.

Whether or not we've managed to actually axe the person most culpable, and whether or not we'll learn and improve upon in future remains to be seen...

Brightside
13-09-2023, 11:28 AM
I must have missed him talking about the reasons for his appointment. I thought I'd crambed everything in! :greengrin

In which interview did he discuss that?

"Reading between the lines" :greengrin

The Modfather
13-09-2023, 11:37 AM
Wonder why Hertz, Aberdeen and Rangers have all struggled with the schedule too?
Not to mention various teams in years gone by.
Almost as if its something that is perfectly normal.
I wanted him to go but this sort of ludicrous nonsense still needs challenged.

When a manager at our level can spend £2m alone in fees in a window does that not also go some way to negating the difficulties, of which there are, in balancing Europe and the league in the early part of the season?

tamig
13-09-2023, 11:47 AM

Exactly. He then goes on to validate that point by saying the club then had some good sales. Not sure whats so difficult to understand about that but people happy to interpret it differently so they can slag the guy more.

WestStandWillie
13-09-2023, 11:48 AM
His latest comments are just plain stupid.

"It was a big job to take that team to fifth" - naw it wasn't. It's what's expected minimum. Complete clown shoes with those remarks.

"There's a lot of players who were not good enough in the building" - Why were they not moved on then? A lot of those players were his signings.

"We had good windows and made good sales" - Oh aye, Jair (a player who was supposedly tracked since LJ's Bristol City days), Bojang :lips seal:lips seal and Kenneh, a guy so wanted he's been loaned out twice).

I was all for wishing him well but he can bolt. His failings, nobody elses.

Away and see if you can run faster when being chased by a tiger :bye::blah::clown:

chrisski33
13-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Fk him! Ex jambo fker!

Stubbsy90+2
13-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Thread was started around when he got a new job and as a ex Hibs manager who done and tried his best at our football club some of us wanted to wish him all the best as we do with other ex managers , players and staff that leave our club .

The thread was never a problem in fans wanting to wish LJ , McAllister and Owen well in the future Though some just couldn't help themselves unfortunately. He's shown more class than what's been said about him tbh .

Genuinely starting to wonder if you are Lee Johnson.

Joined the site just after he came in, stuck up for him even when things were indefensible and constantly wanting to tell us how great a guy he is, how classy he is and how he’s a better person than Hibs fans.

It’s the kind of thing I could imagine LJ doing as well to try and convince fans he’s doing a good job.

WeeRussell
13-09-2023, 12:06 PM

Joined the site just after he came in, stuck up for him even when things were indefensible and constantly wanting to tell us how great a guy he is, how classy he is and how he’s a better person than Hibs fans.

It’s the kind of thing I could imagine LJ doing as well to try and convince fans he’s doing a good job.

Even if all of he above was true and DH is Lee Johnson, there’s not an incorrect word in the post you’ve quoted.

Greenwich_Hibby
13-09-2023, 12:07 PM
Johnson remains a slaver!

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2023, 12:15 PM
I agree we should lay of Johnson. He did his best and it didn’t work out. But now he should do himself a favour and stop going on about Hibs and more time. I understand that interviews are framed and loaded that way and everyone to some extent is involved in the art of self justification at work, but he’s media savvy enough to see all and swerve that nonsense.

Move on and redeem yourself at Fleetwood, Lee.

Is It On....
13-09-2023, 12:22 PM

My thoughts exactly. What was clear, based on results and random team selections, is the manager wasn't good enough and I am glad he is no longer at the club. My prediction is that he will be in his new role for about 2yrs, have a win rate of around 35%-40% before he moves on again.

McSwanky
13-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Credit to Johnson in that he seems to be able to get jobs easily despite not being very good. Must do a good interview for owners/board members.

Alarm bells were ringing from day 1 with him for me. The amount of crap he talked did not sit well. At least the new man seems a lot more straight talking - let's hope that's a good sign.

The other issue I had with him was his inability to recognise what the opposition were going to do/doing and adjust tactics accordingly. It made for some really turgid games against 'lesser' opposition, and some horror shows against the Old Firm. Again, let's hope Montgomery is a bit more savvy on that front.

He's gone. Some of us are glad. Some others not so much. As far as I'm concerned, he can say what he wants about his time at Hibs, clearly he's going to big himself up as that's his default position. Me, I'll not be taking any notice. Couldn't give a monkeys how he does at Fleetwood TBH.

Donegal Hibby
13-09-2023, 12:24 PM

Do you always live in a fantasy world ? :greengrin

HFC93
13-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Exclusive 'Sacked football manager thinks he shouldn't have been sacked'.

Hillsidehibby
13-09-2023, 12:39 PM
I often think why does a team think a newly sacked manager is the guy who is going to improve them?

Smartie
13-09-2023, 12:41 PM
I agree we should lay of Johnson. He did his best and it didn’t work out. But now he should do himself a favour and stop going on about Hibs and more time. I understand that interviews are framed and loaded that way and everyone to some extent is involved in the art of self justification at work, but he’s media savvy enough to see all and swerve that nonsense.

Move on and redeem yourself at Fleetwood, Lee.

I don't think he is.

He should be, but he's not.

FWIW I quite liked his patter but thought he spoke too much, often when much less was required. Even though I liked him I can acknowledge that he was as likely to alienate as he was ingratiate and his media appearances are something he should reflect on and consider whether or not to alter his approach in his next job. The plan speaking denizens of Fleetwood are no more likely to be seduced by him than we were and he had an unhappy knack of getting people's backs up.

That said, it's only ever about the quality of the football. When the football's good enough, the manager's witterings are acceptable, when the football standard drops it doesn't matter what the manager says to try to convince us otherwise.

Borderhibbie76
13-09-2023, 12:56 PM
Aye for me that was the highlight of his tenure, aye we beat Hearts and Celtic at home last season but that trip was brilliant for me.
Regarding his comments yesterday and being a sunderland season ticket holder history is repeating itself, it's never is or was his own shortcomings, he always blames something else, I just wished sometimes he would reflect and take some degree of responsibility for when things go wrong, I would respect him more if he did so. Wish him no misfortune going forward but feel as if now he is at the right level for his skills and ability. He may manage at a higher level in his career but is going to have to accept his own errors and take responsibility for them when they happen.This is spot on for me, I've no major ill feeling towards him and tried to defend him for most of his tenure at Hibs but he's not a particularly likeable character and loves chucking players under a bus. Not once did I ever hear him take any responsibility for defeat, and this is the same now he's gone, trying to blame it all on players about 75% of which he signed. Happy to move on and wish him well at Fleetwood

Since452
13-09-2023, 01:34 PM
You'd think the guy had got us relegated. He gave us some cracking days. Some pish ones. That's about the norm for a Hibs manager.

Cod Boy
13-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Cheap option from Fleetwood would they have approached Hibs had he still been here I think not.

neil7908
13-09-2023, 02:16 PM
How many managers have we sacked that have gone on to bigger and better things? Heck and that's about all in my 30+ years following Hibs.

I'm confident LJ won't add to the list and he'll be onto another club in the next 18 months.

WeeRussell
13-09-2023, 02:20 PM
Cheap option from Fleetwood would they have approached Hibs had he still been here I think not.

Well, of course not. He wouldn’t choose to leave Hibs for Fleetwood town, nor would anyone else.

They probably feel he’s one of the best realistic options they have from the ‘free’ market.

Since452
13-09-2023, 02:22 PM
How many managers have we sacked that have gone on to bigger and better things? Heck and that's about all in my 30+ years following Hibs.

I'm confident LJ won't add to the list and he'll be onto another club in the next 18 months.

I think he'll do pretty well there. Will be a pretty safe job for him. The expectations at Hibs and Sunderland are huge especially with Sunderland being in League One at the time. Was too much for him in the end.

CockneyRebel
13-09-2023, 02:41 PM
I have sympathy for Johnson to an extent, as it was clearly a squad not equipped for the run of fixtures... but he himself had come out and said he thought we had just about enough to get through the European games and the first few league games.

We didn't, as it was proved. If he'd either kept his mouth shut or moaned about not having enough players before the event then I might have more sympathy. He thought we had enough, he was wrong, he paid the price.

Whether or not we've managed to actually axe the person most culpable, and whether or not we'll learn and improve upon in future remains to be seen...

Fingers crosses on that one.

Colr
13-09-2023, 02:52 PM
I get his points but there is another aspect to the quality of players. That they maybe weren’t good enough to play the style of football that he was able to coach.

I thought that with Shaun Maloney. His approach may work with the Belgian national team but not with the type of players at his disposal in the middle of the the SPL and he didn’t have any other approach.

Lee had his moments, though.

Keith_M
13-09-2023, 03:04 PM
I think he'll do pretty well there. Will be a pretty safe job for him. The expectations at Hibs and Sunderland are huge especially with Sunderland being in League One at the time. Was too much for him in the end.

Doesn't he also have family links in the area?

Could be the perfect fit.

He's here!
13-09-2023, 03:49 PM
His latest comments are just plain stupid.

"It was a big job to take that team to fifth" - naw it wasn't. It's what's expected minimum. Complete clown shoes with those remarks.

"There's a lot of players who were not good enough in the building" - Why were they not moved on then? A lot of those players were his signings.

"We had good windows and made good sales" - Oh aye, Jair (a player who was supposedly tracked since LJ's Bristol City days), Bojang :lips seal:lips seal and Kenneh, a guy so wanted he's been loaned out twice).

I was all for wishing him well but he can bolt. His failings, nobody elses.

Away and see if you can run faster when being chased by a tiger :bye::blah::clown:

It might be the minimum expectation but we fall short of it more far more often than not. This century we've finished fifth or better on only seven occasions, which suggests it IS actually quite a big job to take us to fifth.

CowgateHarp1875
13-09-2023, 03:56 PM
It might be the minimum expectation but we fall short of it more far more often than not. This century we've finished fifth or better on only seven occasions, which suggests it IS actually quite a big job to take us to fifth.

That's true tbh but it does show you how poorly we have been run in the past when you see the potential we have as a club.

A Hi-Bee
13-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Move along now, nothing to see here, the man is history.
Yesterday's man.
GGTTH

7Hero
14-09-2023, 06:41 AM
Couldn't stand him at hibs, delighted when he got the boot. cannot be bothered one bit to listen to what he say's, Couldn't care less...

However, i'll be looking out for the fleetwood scores on a weekly basis lol ..:agree:

Steve Austin
14-09-2023, 11:04 AM
Couldn't stand him at hibs, delighted when he got the boot. cannot be bothered one bit to listen to what he say's, Couldn't care less...

However, i'll be looking out for the fleetwood scores on a weekly basis lol ..:agree:

see Jamie mcAllister ain’t going with him to Fleetwood or Adam Owen ?
appointed Darren Way as his Assistant.
maybe fell out over sacking etc ..
He will bluster the Fleetwood Fans with his bull and will not last there either!!…

HendoDelivered
14-09-2023, 11:13 AM
He will bluster the Fleetwood Fans with his bull and will not last there either!!…

Think Macca wants to be his own man now, defo has aspirations of being a manager, has all his badges etc.

Since452
14-09-2023, 11:15 AM

That's interesting. McAllister was with him at Sunderland and Bristol City i'm sure. Maybe he's thinking they contributed to him getting the tin tack at his previous jobs.

Donegal Hibby
14-09-2023, 12:33 PM
That's interesting. McAllister was with him at Sunderland and Bristol Rovers i'm sure. Maybe he's thinking they contributed to him getting the tin tack at his previous jobs.

Could see McAllister getting a managers job in Scotland if one became available , didn't the family not all move to Scotland? Plus young McAllister is at us too .

Seafield Scott
14-09-2023, 08:32 PM
Darren Way was well regarded at Plymouth coaching the U18s. Slightly surprised he didn't want to stay working with Steven Schumacher for a bit longer tbh but then there are lots of ambitious young coaches who try their arm when the first 'big' opportunity arises. Maybe too soon. It'll certainly be a baptism of fire with that club atm.

Fanforlife
16-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Could see McAllister getting a managers job in Scotland if one became available , didn't the family not all move to Scotland? Plus young McAllister is at us too .
Family are up in Aberdeen i believe, however Ruben is staying at my Daughters in Tranent.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-09-2023, 05:08 PM
Family are up in Aberdeen i believe, however Ruben is staying at my Daughters in Tranent.

Lol she’s gonny get…right that’s enough.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2023, 05:12 PM
Lee’s football IQ working wonders at Fleetwood. Off to a flyer today….

Fanforlife
16-09-2023, 05:43 PM
Lol she’s gonny get…right that’s enough.
Cant complain as comment was open to interpretation for dafties,should have said he is staying with keith,keith keith and my daughter and family, doesn't matter now as he has moved out today,think he was feart of the dug🤣🤣🤣

jeffers
16-09-2023, 06:51 PM

All down to their emotional fitness. Whatever the ****** that is.

JohnM1875
16-09-2023, 06:55 PM
Honestly don't wish the guy any ill will, but said today that he hasn't lost the enthusiasm for the task at hand, after his first game.

I honestly think he should've taken some time out. This has a very Jack Ross at Dundee Utd feel to it.

Stubbsy90+2
16-09-2023, 07:32 PM

Feel sorry for Fleetwood.

LewysGot2
16-09-2023, 08:19 PM
Montgomery’s sporty but classic bottle green sweater today was an upgrade on Dad in a nightclub Lee…:greengrin

Wonder what jungle animals will be chasing Fleetwood centre halves on Monday morning :wink:

Irish_Steve
16-09-2023, 08:53 PM
Montgomery’s sporty but classic bottle green sweater today was an upgrade on Dad in a nightclub Lee…:greengrin

Wonder what jungle animals will be chasing Fleetwood centre halves on Monday morning :wink:

Pedantic point - lions don't live in the jungle

LewysGot2
16-09-2023, 08:58 PM

I think you'll find some do 😉

Ethiopian lions do. The lions that sleep tonight also do. The ones that chase Fish might be sea lions though...

They're not all living with Simba at Pride Rock

HoboHarry
16-09-2023, 09:12 PM
I think you'll find some do 😉

Ethiopian lions do. The lions that sleep tonight also do. The ones that chase Fish might be sea lions though...

They're not all living with Simba at Pride Rock

They aren't? Ochone...... say its not so......

Kato
16-09-2023, 09:13 PM
Montgomery’s sporty but classic bottle green sweater

Just reminded me, the Sportsound team thought the jumper was funny enough for them all to have a giggle.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
16-09-2023, 09:38 PM

They do in the song!

pacorosssco
16-09-2023, 10:21 PM
Fleetwood players found tonight under bus.

Greencore
16-09-2023, 10:34 PM
I watched his reaction video to the scoreline and it was just the same garbage he came out when he was here.

https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/2023/september/johnson-post-oxford-h/

BS44
16-09-2023, 10:37 PM
Fleetwood players found tonight under bus.

Beside Lewis Miller?

flash
17-09-2023, 08:32 AM
3 subs at half time.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

hibbie02
17-09-2023, 08:42 AM
I watched his reaction video to the scoreline and it was just the same garbage he came out when he was here.

https://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/news/2023/september/johnson-post-oxford-h/

What an utter load of p1shy drivel. His description of the first goal being good for Oxford but bad for them. Who knew! With insight like that he is destined for big things….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's here!
17-09-2023, 10:14 AM

Club rooted to the foot of the table loses at home to a club one point off top spot. Hardly a surprise.

I don't get the seeming desire from some to see him fail. It was the same with Jack Ross with some posters. Why is this? I get it with someone like Butcher who really messed our club up but Johnson and Ross gave it their best shot and Ross in particular probably merited more time. Personally I have no gripe with either of them.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Club rooted to the foot of the table loses at home to a club one point off top spot. Hardly a surprise.

I don't get the seeming desire from some to see him fail. It was the same with Jack Ross with some posters. Why is this? I get it with someone like Butcher who really messed our club up but Johnson and Ross gave it their best shot and Ross in particular probably merited more time. Personally I have no gripe with either of them.

I couldn’t really care what he does now (although it won’t be anything very good). With all the previous nuggets he’s had in the media, there will be plenty brought back up when he inevitably fails though. Never wanted Jack Ross to be a success one he’d left right enough, he was in direct competition with us.

Stubbsy90+2
17-09-2023, 10:33 AM

Jack Ross took over a team who finished above us the previous season.

The fact some didn’t want him to fail was bizarre. Dundee United failing was good for Hibs yet some folk were raging when people didn’t want them doing well.

Since452
17-09-2023, 10:35 AM
The bizzare onslaught against Lee continues I see. He's gone. Let it go. He improved us and left a decent foundation for our new manager. Can't we just leave it at that?

Ronniekirk
17-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Close the thread I really don’t care what he does to be honest But if he thinks he should of had more time at hibs I disagree

leith lynx
17-09-2023, 10:48 AM
The bizzare onslaught against Lee continues I see. He's gone. Let it go. He improved us and left a decent foundation for our new manager. Can't we just leave it at that?

Well said.

Hibbyradge
17-09-2023, 10:56 AM

I had no intention of listening to his post match comments, but after reading your post and the ones criticising him I decided to see what the fuss was about.

Absolutely nothing. I have no idea how people can have listened to that interview and decided to even pass comment. Any other manager saying the exact same things wouldn't have generated a single comment.

He said Oxford scored a good first goal which was disappointing for Fleetwood. He was recapping the game and he was correct.

He talked about emotional fitness. I understood that to mean mental strength. Sportsmen can be physically fit and strong, but weak emotionally when things go against them. There are any number of books about precisely that.

It seems like people are so desperate to justify their positions regarding him when he was Hibs manager, that they need to continue to find/invent fault despite him being away.

Edit: The expression: "Living rent free" just popped into my mind. I wonder why.

Donegal Hibby
17-09-2023, 11:03 AM

I was told to let it go when defending him and yet there seems to be a constant barrage against him even though he's no longer at our club . Really quite bizarre tbh .

jeffers
17-09-2023, 11:45 AM
I had no intention of listening to his post match comments, but after reading your post and the ones criticising him I decided to see what the fuss was about.

Absolutely nothing. I have no idea how people can have listened to that interview and decided to even pass comment. Any other manager saying the exact same things wouldn't have generated a single comment.

He said Oxford scored a good first goal which was disappointing for Fleetwood. He was recapping the game and he was correct.

He talked about emotional fitness. I understood that to mean mental strength. Sportsmen can be physically fit and strong, but weak emotionally when things go against them. There are any number of books about precisely that.

It seems like people are so desperate to justify their positions regarding him when he was Hibs manager, that they need to continue to find/invent fault despite him being away.

Edit: The expression: "Living rent free" just popped into my mind. I wonder why.

Which works both ways, with some people still desperate to justify their position that he was a good manager/nice guy.

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Which works both ways, with some people still desperate to justify their position that he was a good manager/nice guy.

He can be a good manager and a nice guy and still be a disappointment at any given club, in this case ours.

Hibbyradge
17-09-2023, 11:56 AM

I think one person did that while he was here. Certainly not many more.

Also, I haven't seen any from people trying to justify that position since he left. Just people putting the boot in.

He's here!
17-09-2023, 12:20 PM
Jack Ross took over a team who finished above us the previous season.

The fact some didn’t want him to fail was bizarre. Dundee United failing was good for Hibs yet some folk were raging when people didn’t want them doing well.

Not a case of wanting United to do well. It just didn't seem necessary to wish failure on a guy who had worked hard at Hibs and had done a good job with the exception of a poor run for which he was harshly dismissed.

Lago
17-09-2023, 12:25 PM
Just let it go folks, let the guy get on with his life he's gone from hibs and left in a mostly dignified way.

BSEJVT
17-09-2023, 12:28 PM
I didn't think Lee Johnson was the right manager for Hibs, I argued that position and I am pleased he has gone, others thought differently which they were / are entitled to do.

This stuff now is completely unnecessary and smacks of folk trying to continue an argument that is over.

LJ is never going to change the vernacular he uses or the way he sees situations or the analogies etc he uses and anyone expecting him to do so is going to be disappointed.

That's how he sees the world / communicates and he is entitled to do so.

It grated on me, I found it insincere, lacked taking any personal responsibility and it wasn't a management style I enjoyed, but it is done and I bet he is a good mate and popular with his pals, most of whom probably converse similarly, we are conditioned by our environments.

He wasn't for me and I neither wish him success nor ill will, to be clear I couldn't care less, but like the Jack Ross sacking I feel this topic is going to pollute and divide this board for some time to come sadly.

In the words of the late lamented Splash Mountain, "time to be moving along"

chrisski33
17-09-2023, 12:32 PM
Not a case of wanting United to do well. It just didn't seem necessary to wish failure on a guy who had worked hard at Hibs and had done a good job with the exception of a poor run for which he was harshly dismissed.
Nope he was rightly dismissed and results were not consistant. He talked the talk. Some say he was a nice guy some say in the background he wasn't and things werent great behind the scenes.

Springbank
17-09-2023, 12:33 PM

Harshly?

Donegal Hibby
17-09-2023, 12:46 PM
Just let it go folks, let the guy get on with his life he's gone from hibs and left in a mostly dignified way.

Thread was started roughly when he got his new Job which was a nice thing to do as most of us wished him well being a ex Hibs manager . I'd like to think we'd do that with most ex managers and players TBF though seems some want to keep putting the boot in probably in the hope of getting another argument going! . Like Hecky and Mowbray , LJ is now away ,good luck to them all but time to move on now especially from the negative comments at a ex Hibs manager who tried his best for us .

He's here!
17-09-2023, 01:00 PM
Nope he was rightly dismissed and results were not consistant. He talked the talk. Some say he was a nice guy some say in the background he wasn't and things werent great behind the scenes.

He talked the talk? He also had us consistently at Hampden and finishing third for the first time in nearly two decades. Mistake to let him go - and compound the error by appointing Maloney.

He's here!
17-09-2023, 01:00 PM
Harshly?

Even Ron Gordon acknowledged he made a mistake sacking him.

Jones28
17-09-2023, 01:02 PM

Never once heard things not being well behind the scenes under JR. Care to elaborate?

Hibbyradge
17-09-2023, 01:05 PM

Are you talking about Jack Ross or LJ?

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2023, 01:19 PM
People still have a go at Butcher, Calderwood, Duffy etc.

LJs got years of this ahead of him!!

He's here!
17-09-2023, 01:25 PM

Two of them got us relegated (McLeish was brought in too late to save us) while the other gave the impression he never really wanted to be at ER and tedium prevailed through pretty much his whole tenure. They merit flak. Johnson wasn't great but he was a managerial genius compared to those three.

Brightside
17-09-2023, 02:49 PM

I’m not aware of anyone at Hibs with a bad word to say about Jack. Can you expand?

Stubbsy90+2
17-09-2023, 02:59 PM

If Jack Ross done well then by default DU would have done well. That wouldn’t have been good news for Hibs.

Caversham Green
17-09-2023, 04:09 PM
If Jack Ross done well then by default DU would have done well. That wouldn’t have been good news for Hibs.

If they took more points off Aberdeen and Hearts surely it would have been good news for Hibs.

chrisski33
17-09-2023, 04:35 PM
I’m not aware of anyone at Hibs with a bad word to say about Jack. Can you expand?

Talking about Johnson not Jack Ross!

Hibbyradge
17-09-2023, 04:37 PM
Talking about Johnson not Jack Ross!

Everyone else was talking about JR!

chrisski33
17-09-2023, 04:38 PM
He talked the talk? He also had us consistently at Hampden and finishing third for the first time in nearly two decades. Mistake to let him go - and compound the error by appointing Maloney.
Sorry i thought you meant Johnson my bad 🤦🤦🥴

Hibs4185
17-09-2023, 04:47 PM
I saw a post on twitter from a well known ex .net poster. Basically slagging off Johnson on fleetwood’s official account.

How *hit your life must be if you find it neccessary to sped time slagging of an ex manager who was very gracious leaving the club.

I wanted LJ out but let the poor guy try and make a fresh start with a new club.

It’s the same when I see Hibs posting something on twitter or Instagram, there’s always some numpty being aggressive or slagging the club off. I know it’s part of the parcel nowadays and every one thinks their opinion is the most important but it’s incredibly depressing.

Since452
17-09-2023, 04:57 PM

I guess it shows how expectations have changed in our support when Johnson is getting the same abuse as those you mentioned. I do agree with his sacking but it's strange seeing the witch hunt continue. Especially with someone who spoke, and still speaks so highly of the club and fans. Hardly anyone mentioned Maloney after he joined Wigan for example. Certainly not to the same extent.

We saw the Hibs fans in their best light away at Aston Villa. We're seeing them at their worst regarding Johnson. Maybe it's just the social media driven "say something controversial and be constantly outraged" world we live in now.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2023, 06:34 PM
I guess it shows how expectations have changed in our support when Johnson is getting the same abuse as those you mentioned. I do agree with his sacking but it's strange seeing the witch hunt continue. Especially with someone who spoke, and still speaks so highly of the club and fans. Hardly anyone mentioned Maloney after he joined Wigan for example. Certainly not to the same extent.

We saw the Hibs fans in their best light away at Aston Villa. We're seeing them at their worst regarding Johnson. Maybe it's just the social media driven "say something controversial and be constantly outraged" world we live in now.

Or maybe some people are just looking for something that isn’t there. Some comments on a message board about a manager who’s just left, and who was still talking about us just this week, being the Hibs fans at their worst? If that’s the case then we’re not half a tame bunch these days.

ekhibee
17-09-2023, 06:53 PM
I totally disagree with this. He was poor at Sunderland, poor at Dundee Utd and is now ba k Coaching, which is probably where his true talents lie, although he wasn't able to coach a win against a poor Hearts team, we'll just have to agree to disagree about this one because I don't think he was taking us forward at all, you think differently.

Stubbsy90+2
17-09-2023, 07:13 PM

And yet I’ve seen you and others slaughter Maloney numerous times on here since he left. Guy that sticks out the cones etc.

Stubbsy90+2
17-09-2023, 07:15 PM
If they took more points off Aberdeen and Hearts surely it would have been good news for Hibs.

If that was the only teams they done well against then yes.

Considering they were 4th the previous season before JR, if they done well under him then it would have been because they were on the mix for Europe and therefore another team for us to contend with. That’s not good news for Hibs.

Caversham Green
17-09-2023, 09:49 PM
If that was the only teams they done well against then yes.

Considering they were 4th the previous season before JR, if they done well under him then it would have been because they were on the mix for Europe and therefore another team for us to contend with. That’s not good news for Hibs.

Each to his own I suppose - I'd rather have another strong club in the mix. Gives us another set of 'big' games.

Kato
17-09-2023, 09:53 PM
I totally disagree with this. He was poor at Sunderland, poor at Dundee Utd and is now ba k Coaching, which is probably where his true talents lie, although he wasn't able to coach a win against a poor Hearts team, we'll just have to agree to disagree about this one because I don't think he was taking us forward at all, you think differently.Should have been strung up in the Grassmarket after the Scottish Cup Final, covid rules permitting.

BILLYHIBS
17-09-2023, 09:58 PM
Should have been strung up in the Grassmarket after the Scottish Cup Final, covid rules permitting.

👍

Cat Stanton
18-09-2023, 08:13 AM
Wise words from Dylan Vente comparing old and new tactics:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/more-tactics-not-just-long-balls-what-hibs-player-likes-about-new-boss-4338921

BS44
18-09-2023, 08:28 AM
I totally disagree with this. He was poor at Sunderland, poor at Dundee Utd and is now ba k Coaching, which is probably where his true talents lie, although he wasn't able to coach a win against a poor Hearts team, we'll just have to agree to disagree about this one because I don't think he was taking us forward at all, you think differently.

Ross was manager when we beat the grunts at Tynecastle 2 0

erin go bragh
18-09-2023, 08:37 AM
Just close this thread and we all move on.

He's here!
18-09-2023, 09:55 AM

He was also superb at St Mirren and was voted PFA manager of the year. At Sunderland he took them to the Wembley play-off final in his first season and they were very much in play-off contention again when he left. There would have been high expectations there but his record was hardly 'poor'. At Hibs he oversaw an awful cup final defeat but we were at Hampden numerous times under Ross. Oh, and IIRC he won his first derby 2-0 at Tynecastle. The Dundee United move was clearly a terrible one for him but overall he was a good manager at Hibs when you look at his stats.

As you say we'll just have to disagree but I've kept him in place rather than appoint Maloney or Johnson.

Since452
18-09-2023, 10:03 AM
I really enjoyed Ross at Hibs. He was slaughtered for his Hampden defeats which is kind of ironic as think we've only been there once since he left whereas he got us there every time of asking. His bad run was horrendous but think he had enough credit in the bank to get to the January window. Anyway that's been done to death.