PDA

View Full Version : Arbroath shafted

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 08:58 AM
This is a very poor decision by the SPFL.

Surely league games take priority over centenary celebrations?

https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/arbroath-fc-club-statement/

10-09-2023, 09:15 AM
This is a very poor decision by the SPFL.

Surely league games take priority over centenary celebrations?

https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/arbroath-fc-club-statement/

Reminds me of when we objected to Celtic changing the date of a match v us a few years ago but they were allowed to anyway.

They've now given Arbroath added incentive to hump them and ruin their party.

CowgateHarp1875
10-09-2023, 09:18 AM
Friday night football is nothing new in the Scottish Championship I don't remember Dick Campbell making a fuss about playing on a Friday when Arbroath were going for the league last season or whenever it was.

Since90+2
10-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Arbroath are part time so a lot of the guys will be working during the day on the Friday. Poor decision IMO.

Silky
10-09-2023, 09:53 AM
Arbroath are part time so a lot of the guys will be working during the day on the Friday. Poor decision IMO.

It's a shocker. Some of them possibly work in the central belt as well so may have a bit of travelling after work to get to a game. Hardly ideal preparation. It just shows how those running the game have no real interest in the smaller clubs. Particularly as the reason put forward by Dundee United is pretty poor imo.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2023, 09:57 AM
I think differently here, it is a historic occassion, and sometimes clubs need to make a sacrifice to keep these traditions going.

The Arbroath fans will need to pack an overnight bag for the treacherous 25 minute journey, and the players not all of them will need to ask their boss if they can finish a little early too, maybe make the time up on their free Saturday?

It's the problems you face being a part time club IMO.

500miles
10-09-2023, 09:59 AM
We shouldn't have part time teams in the spfl. If that means one big league, so be it.

tamig
10-09-2023, 10:03 AM
As CowgateHarp mentions above, I didn’t see any complaints from Arbroath when they were flying high and their games were regularly shown on BBC on a Friday night. Double standards springs to mind.

Wilson
10-09-2023, 10:04 AM
I think differently here, it is a historic occassion, and sometimes clubs need to make a sacrifice to keep these traditions going.

The Arbroath fans will need to pack an overnight bag for the treacherous 25 minute journey, and the players not all of them will need to ask their boss if they can finish a little early too, maybe make the time up on their free Saturday?

Dundee Hibs were formed in 1909. Does anyone know if United celebrated a centenary in 2009? If they nixed that in favour of this then you have a point. If this is a 'second' centenary celebration then they're taking the piss.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Dundee Hibs were formed in 1909. Does anyone know if United celebrated a centenary in 2009? If they nixed that in favour of this then you have a point. If this is a 'second' centenary celebration then they're taking the piss.

Does it really matter if they had a celebration in 2009, i have no idea if they did? :dunno:

This is a celebration of their name change, something the club feel strongly enough about to do something for it.

Del Boy
10-09-2023, 10:08 AM
Dick Campbell is a moaning old *******, bet he’d have no complaints moving a game to accommodate his beloved Rangers.

Blaster
10-09-2023, 10:14 AM
We shouldn't have part time teams in the spfl. If that means one big league, so be it.

In a nutshell. SPFL for full time sides only. Still have a pyramid but can only get into the main leagues if you go full time. Our money is getting spread between far too many clubs

CowgateHarp1875
10-09-2023, 10:16 AM
As CowgateHarp mentions above, I didn’t see any complaints from Arbroath when they were flying high and their games were regularly shown on BBC on a Friday night. Double standards springs to mind.

👍

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 10:20 AM

I imagine we'll all be just as stoical when our game against hertz next year is moved to a Friday night so they can celebrate their anniversary.

We're good that way.

IberianHibernian
10-09-2023, 10:23 AM
Problem is surely that Dundee United asked for change at last minute instead of asking for a Friday game before fixtures came out .
I presume Arbroath have lots of midweek games every season and that some of their players have jobs with weekend hours too .

Mick O'Rourke
10-09-2023, 10:27 AM

Season 1923/24 was when Dundee Hibernian changed name to Dundee United
Club colours changed from green and white to black and white.
So 100 years it is for United

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 10:28 AM
In a nutshell. SPFL for full time sides only. Still have a pyramid but can only get into the main leagues if you go full time. Our money is getting spread between far too many clubs

Part time clubs are allowed in the SPFL.

Until that changes, they should be treated equally.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Dick Campbell is a moaning old *******, bet he’d have no complaints moving a game to accommodate his beloved Rangers.

I bet he would.

Northernhibee
10-09-2023, 10:56 AM
I’d imagine that having a game changed for TV coverage is likely to be a contractual requirement.

Having a game changed to a date that gives one team a sporting advantage because they want to have a bit of a party isn’t fair.

Big difference.

Caversham Green
10-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Yes they did. https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/the-club/our-history/new-era

Would it not be more fitting to actually play a match on this centenary rather than whatever it is they're planning to do?

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2023, 12:02 PM
I imagine we'll all be just as stoical when our game against hertz next year is moved to a Friday night so they can celebrate their anniversary.

We're good that way.
I'd love a Friday night match against that mob.

Kato
10-09-2023, 12:29 PM
Dundee Hibs were formed in 1909. Does anyone know if United celebrated a centenary in 2009? If they nixed that in favour of this then you have a point. If this is a 'second' centenary celebration then they're taking the piss.They did. Hibs put on a wee ceremony on the pitch at ER when they visited. Made a presentation to then Chairman Jim McLean.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Victor
10-09-2023, 12:39 PM
Is it going to detract from United’s celebrations if they play on the Saturday? Sure it won’t. Another quality decision by the SPFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson
10-09-2023, 03:35 PM
Yes they did. https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/the-club/our-history/new-era

Would it not be more fitting to actually play a match on this centenary rather than whatever it is they're planning to do?

Thanks.

I'm with Arbroath on this one in that case.

Two centenaries! Away you go Dundee Hibs!

Centre Hawf
10-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Part time clubs are allowed in the SPFL.

Until that changes, they should be treated equally.

They are treated equally. Never moving their games because of day jobs would be unequal. Suck it up and get on with it

WeeRussell
10-09-2023, 04:59 PM

We're good that way.

There’s two threads of folk going ****ing radge when our kick off moves half an hour!!!

Wilson
10-09-2023, 06:37 PM
There’s two threads of folk going ****ing radge when our kick off moves half an hour!!!

That's only because the admin deleted the other two!

SanFranHibs
10-09-2023, 07:05 PM
At least it is another 89 years before The Rangers ask to celebrate their name change.

Lancs Harp
10-09-2023, 07:33 PM
At least it is another 89 years before The Rangers ask to celebrate their name change.

They will be The The The The The The The rangers by then 😀

SanFranHibs
10-09-2023, 07:35 PM
They will be The The The The The The The rangers by then 😀

Will have to get Emporer Claudius as the tv announcer.

WeeRussell
10-09-2023, 09:19 PM
That's only because the admin deleted the other two!

Reported

Wakeyhibee
11-09-2023, 12:06 PM

Agree. No axe to grind with Arbroath but if Friday night is such a sporting disadvantage why not mention it every time they're on the TV for other league games.

HarpOnHibee
11-09-2023, 12:18 PM
Agree. No axe to grind with Arbroath but if Friday night is such a sporting disadvantage why not mention it every time they're on the TV for other league games.

Presumably because other teams they're playing against have similar disadvantages when playing a Friday fixture. Dundee Utd don't have that disadvantage though, being a full time club.

Rumble de Thump
11-09-2023, 12:23 PM
If they're happy to have their 100 year gala dinner on October 13, it seems rather pointless bothering about playing a game on October 27 when it was due to take place less than 24 hours later.

ian cruise
11-09-2023, 12:24 PM

We're good that way.

I think this is a particularly negative post. It is not something we will even need to consider as we're not getting relegated now Montgomery is here 😉

Hibbyradge
11-09-2023, 12:29 PM
I think this is a particularly negative post. It is not something we will even need to consider as we're not getting relegated now Montgomery is here 😉

:greengrin

Wakeyhibee
11-09-2023, 05:45 PM
Presumably because other teams they're playing against have similar disadvantages when playing a Friday fixture. Dundee Utd don't have that disadvantage though, being a full time club.

Yes but there are anomalies for most. If it was a simple League priority over Centenary then fine. But there would be no sporting integrity comment if a cup game v OF was moved to Friday for TV or indeed if this had been on the fixture card in the first place.