PDA

View Full Version : Europe next season

Hibee87
07-09-2023, 11:56 AM
I assume I am reading this correctly from the EEN New European format poised to benefit Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and other Scottish clubs thanks to UEFA changes (scotsman.com) (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-european-format-poised-to-benefit-hearts-hibs-aberdeen-and-other-scottish-clubs-thanks-to-uefa-changes-4284203)

Means that if 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the table win the cup, then 4th place guarantees at least conference football group stages

Hibernian Verse
07-09-2023, 12:07 PM
I assume I am reading this correctly from the EEN New European format poised to benefit Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and other Scottish clubs thanks to UEFA changes (scotsman.com) (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-european-format-poised-to-benefit-hearts-hibs-aberdeen-and-other-scottish-clubs-thanks-to-uefa-changes-4284203)

Means that if 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the table win the cup, then 4th place guarantees at least conference football group stages

Sadly not, you just drop into which ever round of the conference is next.

Centre Hawf
07-09-2023, 12:31 PM
It's definitely better news for clubs like us as I think if 1st, 2nd, or 3rd win the cup then 4th can afford one loss whereas at the moment it's still a one and done.

Not quite getting two automatic group spots but any little help is appreciated.

GRA
07-09-2023, 01:18 PM
I interpret that as (assuming 1st, 2nd or 3rd win the cup):

3rd place guaranteed 8 games (EL play off & (if eliminated) CL group stages)
4th place guaranteed 4 games (EL 2nd round & (if eliminated) CL 3rd round)
5th place guaranteed 2 games (CL 2nd round)

chippy
07-09-2023, 01:20 PM
Best to win the cup then and get 3rd too

Hibee87
07-09-2023, 01:21 PM
I interpret that as (assuming 1st, 2nd or 3rd win the cup):

3rd place guaranteed 8 games (EL play off & (if eliminated) CL group stages)
4th place guaranteed 4 games (EL 2nd round & (if eliminated) CL 3rd round)
5th place guaranteed 2 games (CL 2nd round)

No idea how the seedings work, but would, in the above scenario, make 4th place the seeded team?

Hibernian Verse
07-09-2023, 01:23 PM
No idea how the seedings work, but would, in the above scenario, make 4th place the seeded team?

It would depend on how many coefficient points the other teams have at that qualification stage.

Smartie
07-09-2023, 01:41 PM
I’d thought we were going to lose the European place for 5th and straight into Champs league groups from next season?

A Celtic-supporting mate told me this a few weeks back..

Centre Hawf
07-09-2023, 02:27 PM
I’d thought we were going to lose the European place for 5th and straight into Champs league groups from next season?

A Celtic-supporting mate told me this a few weeks back..

I don't think it's entirely guaranteed as of yet, but I know our best season performance as a nation in the last 5 years that they count coeffiency on is about to drop out the rotation and be replaced (can't remember if it's with this season or last) so we have a bit of points to try and make up to make sure we either don't drop or we drop less than we fear. A couple results for the Old Firm in their groups and a couple knockout wins would help, as well as anything Aberdeen can muster.

erin go bragh
08-09-2023, 07:12 AM

It does mean 4th place go into a Europa league play off, where losing it puts you in the last round of the conference league.

Since452
08-09-2023, 08:24 AM
We'll probably finish 5th and draw Juventus in the playoff knowing our luck.