PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Missing ipod

AL-Qaholik
04-09-2023, 04:21 PM
No idea if this is ok to post here or not but;

Mate of mine was down in Brum last week and offered a lift back up to Edinburgh to a couple of Hibees stranded due to the train strikes.

He drove them all the way home - only to discover once he got home himself that his iPod was missing from his car.

If anybody knows who this was (or of it was you) please get in touch to either
a) return it,
or
b) let us know it definitely wasn’t you that took it.

Needless to say, his faith in his fellow Hibees is more than a little shaken right now.

3pm
04-09-2023, 04:26 PM
That's appalling.

Joe6-2
04-09-2023, 04:36 PM
If they did this to a fellow Hibee, who was good enough to give them a lift, they should hang their heads in shame

Fuzzywuzzy
04-09-2023, 04:40 PM
Keep an eye on eBay, gumtree and Facebook marketplace

Hibernia&Alba
04-09-2023, 04:44 PM
If they did this to a fellow Hibee, who was good enough to give them a lift, they should hang their heads in shame

Definitely. If it was someone the guy was good enough to give a lift home from Birmingham, it’s disgusting. Some people have no conscience.

If the culprit should happen to see this thread, do the right thing!

brianmc
04-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Good luck to the friend of the OP getting their gadget back - but is there really any need for the replies so far jumping in "2 footed" when nobody actually knows what's happened??

He's here!
04-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Despicable if they've done that. Actually takes some of the shine off the good vibes around the Hibs support that night.

WeeRussell
04-09-2023, 05:47 PM
Good luck to the friend of the OP getting their gadget back - but is there really any need for the replies so far jumping in "2 footed" when nobody actually knows what's happened??

Exactly. A lot of “if” at this stage.

Only thing for sure is it was a nice gesture to give the supporters a hurl in the first place.

BoomtownHibees
04-09-2023, 06:00 PM
Despicable if they've done that. Actually takes some of the shine off the good vibes around the Hibs support that night.

That’s some stretch

Diclonius
04-09-2023, 06:05 PM
Wow, they truly are a bunch of absolute *****.

Hope he gets it back.

SChibs
04-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Is there much of a market for second hand Ipods these days? Sounds more like it was probably lifted by accident and the folk don't know how to get in contact with the fans

JimBHibees
04-09-2023, 08:41 PM

Nonsensical comment

OstKurve Hibs
05-09-2023, 05:03 AM

Jesus, calm down ffs !

green day
05-09-2023, 05:29 AM
Is there much of a market for second hand Ipods these days? Sounds more like it was probably lifted by accident and the folk don't know how to get in contact with the fans

Indeed. That's if it happened at all.

ETA - I'm not assuming the OP is making this up, just that it's possible it's fallen between the seats or another explanation.

Theft seems a bit less likely imo.

Hiber-nation
05-09-2023, 06:08 AM
Nonsensical comment

And absolutely typical.

wallpaperman
05-09-2023, 06:33 AM

Yes, there is a good second hand market for iPod’s, partly because they are no longer sold new by Apple.

I remember a few years back when you could still buy them new and I bought a larger capacity ipod, I was surprised how much I got from CEX for the one with less storage. Could have got even more on EBay if I could have been bothered.

Looks like there’s still a good market for them on EBay etc.

Hope there’s a good ending to this, if there ever is a resolution.

h18eeynick
05-09-2023, 06:33 AM

I had a first generation one which must have been at least 25 years old. Had to chuck it out recently as wouldnt work. Gutted. Thankfully got all of the songs on my iphone as had about 2,400 tracks. Still got all my cd's and records and an old juke box . Love my music ! The iPod was brilliant which the wheel for finding and selecting tracks.

HarpOnHibee
05-09-2023, 07:55 AM
The thing is, if the person in your car picked it up unintentionally, they're going to be less likely to give it back if they see a thread like this out of the fear of being accused of theft. You need to be absolutely certain that they have it in the first place and also be open to the possibility that it was picked up in error. If they had an ipod of their own on them, then they may have taken yours thinking that it was their own ipod. It may also have not been taken at all and you've perhaps misplaced it, or moved it somewhere else and forgotten. In any case, hope you're able to obtain it.

h18eeynick
05-09-2023, 08:25 AM
The thing is, if the person in your car picked it up unintentionally, they're going to be less likely to give it back if they see a thread like this out of the fear of being accused of theft. You need to be absolutely certain that they have it in the first place and also be open to the possibility that it was picked up in error. If they had an ipod of their own on them, then they may have taken yours thinking that it was their own ipod. It may also have not been taken at all and you've perhaps misplaced it, or moved it somewhere else and forgotten. In any case, hope you're able to obtain it.

I lost a wallet years ago when bringing my son and some university friends back from Leeds to Carlisle after an awards ceremony. Not much cash but bank cards, driving licence, fishing licence etc which all needed replacing. Was going a cottage holiday in the UK a few days later so you can imagine the inconvenience. I had thoughts about whether my jacket on the back seat had it in the pocket. Was cleaning the inside of the car a month later, took everything out of the side drivers door pocket and discovered a small opening at the back of the pocket. I remember squeezing a bottle of water in to the pocket the night of the trip back. Guess what ? Yes the wallet had found its way in to the crack and was out of sight. Relieved but guilty for thinking bad thoughts.

AL-Qaholik
05-09-2023, 01:06 PM
He received a message today saying his Apple account had been suspended due to "suspicious activity" (this was his only Apple product) and he found the charger cable the ipod had been plugged into stuffed down the back seat of the car.

I'm pretty comfortable now saying those cretins definitely stole it.

WeeRussell
05-09-2023, 01:35 PM
The thing is, if the person in your car picked it up unintentionally, they're going to be less likely to give it back if they see a thread like this out of the fear of being accused of theft.

Nothing like a bit of theft to eradicate the fear of being accused of theft 😁

Ronniekirk
05-09-2023, 01:42 PM
How do you pick something like thst up unintentionally Surely you would know very quickly you were carrying something you should of had

Jones28
05-09-2023, 01:56 PM
He received a message today saying his Apple account had been suspended due to "suspicious activity" (this was his only Apple product) and he found the charger cable the ipod had been plugged into stuffed down the back seat of the car.

Absolute *****bags.

Where abouts did he drop them off? Might help narrow down the search area?

May their next *****s be hedgehogs.

Jakhog1
05-09-2023, 02:41 PM
He must have got some info from the guys during the drive up the road, names, area they where from, general info you would get after a blether

Also not used an ipod in years, can you make purchases on it? How did he find out his account was suspended if his only Apple product.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2023, 04:46 PM
Nothing like a bit of theft to eradicate the fear of being accused of theft 😁

Terry, how long have you been posting on here? :greengrin

wallpaperman
05-09-2023, 04:48 PM
He must have got some info from the guys during the drive up the road, names, area they where from, general info you would get after a blether

Also not used an ipod in years, can you make purchases on it? How did he find out his account was suspended if his only Apple product.

Absolute ****bags. I imagine these days most people use their iPod in conjunction with an Apple Music subscription, that’s what I do.

You can still buy downloads on iTunes, but mostly Apple Music streaming.

Guess the guy got an email from Apple about suspicious activity, security for most websites are decent these days and they detect unusual activity.

Hibernia&Alba
05-09-2023, 04:48 PM

Very sad if a Hibs fan did that to another Hibby (or anybody) who was doing him a big favour.

Stairway 2 7
05-09-2023, 05:30 PM
Can get them for about £30 bar on ebay with a cable, why would you rob someone who saved you loads for that amount, cretins

.Sean.
05-09-2023, 05:37 PM
Your pal must surely have got their names during the drive back up the road?

sadtom
05-09-2023, 07:15 PM

If they were stealing the IPod why wouldn’t they take the charging cable as well? Surely that would make it easier to punt on?

wallpaperman
05-09-2023, 10:05 PM
Can get them for about £30 bar on ebay with a cable, why would you rob someone who saved you loads for that amount, cretins

Depends on the model. I have the last generation IPod before they stopped making at 128GB, they can go for anywhere between £150 to £250 second hand.

wallpaperman
05-09-2023, 10:06 PM
If they were stealing the IPod why wouldn’t they take the charging cable as well? Surely that would make it easier to punt on?

It’s just a standard Apple charging cable, cost a few quid.

Baader
05-09-2023, 10:54 PM

Not really the point though, is it? Lowlife behaviour and pretty galling to read. Snakes.

sadtom
06-09-2023, 04:41 AM
Not really the point though, is it? Lowlife behaviour and pretty galling to read. Snakes.

What point do you think I’m trying to make?

If they stole it then they are a disgrace and deserve nothing but condemnation.
What I am saying is that finding the cable stuffed down the seat does not strike me as being compelling evidence that the iPod was nicked.
I don’t understand why would someone go to the bother of hiding the cable when it would seem easier to steal it along with the iPod.

Either way, whether it was stolen or lost I hope the guy gets his property back.

If they did thieve it then hell mend them. Name and shame.

Perhaps I am hoping for all concerned that it was lost or mislaid, because that would be a real kick in the nuts to believe that not only do you think fellow Hibs fans robbed you, but especially after doing them such a good turn, would be particularly galling.

I certainly would hope that the guys who got a lift at least ponied up and sorted the driver out with the petrol money.

mcohibs
06-09-2023, 05:44 AM
Have you put this on Hibs fans Facebook groups? High chance they’ll be on there.

Maybe one of the page admins for FB can post it if they read this?

stoneyburn hibs
06-09-2023, 06:33 AM
I'm hoping it's hiding somewhere in the car, can't believe Hibs fans would do that to their own.

He's here!
06-09-2023, 06:54 AM
What point do you think I’m trying to make?

If they stole it then they are a disgrace and deserve nothing but condemnation.
What I am saying is that finding the cable stuffed down the seat does not strike me as being compelling evidence that the iPod was nicked.
I don’t understand why would someone go to the bother of hiding the cable when it would seem easier to steal it along with the iPod.

Either way, whether it was stolen or lost I hope the guy gets his property back.

If they did thieve it then hell mend them. Name and shame.

Perhaps I am hoping for all concerned that it was lost or mislaid, because that would be a real kick in the nuts to believe that not only do you think fellow Hibs fans robbed you, but especially after doing them such a good turn, would be particularly galling.

I certainly would hope that the guys who got a lift at least ponied up and sorted the driver out with the petrol money.

According to the OP the ipod had been plugged in to charge but was then found to be missing and the charging cable subsequently discovered stuffed down the back seat. Based on that it seems a deliberate act rather than the device being 'mislaid'. Hard to imagine anyone who would carry out such a petty/infantile act would have the good grace to offer petrol money.

Since90+2
06-09-2023, 07:17 AM
I'm hoping it's hiding somewhere in the car, can't believe Hibs fans would do that to their own.

They'll be plenty of ********s that happen to be Hibs fans. Being a Hibee doesn't mean you can't be a dick.

There's tens of thousands of us after all, gonna be a few bad eggs.

Stairway 2 7
06-09-2023, 07:44 AM
Must know there two names and the area they say their from, after that journey. If its clear its been taken, tell him to put them up, f them

Michael
06-09-2023, 08:36 AM
People who steal stuff just do it without thinking. They don't think about the logic of whether or not is has much value.

mcohibs
06-09-2023, 09:07 AM
Always disappointing hearing stuff like this, like the Sauzee night last year where there were multiple iPads stolen (which the charity had to pay for)

****bags will be ****bags whoever they support I guess.

Brummie_Hibs
06-09-2023, 04:16 PM
I guess your mate stopped for petrol at least once? Did they get out? If so, then that gives your mate an avenue to explore, via Police, to get the CCTV images from service station.

But the reality is that the Police won't.

BILLYHIBS
06-09-2023, 06:06 PM
People who steal stuff just do it without thinking. They don't think about the logic of whether or not is has much value.

Drugs

He's here!
07-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Always disappointing hearing stuff like this, like the Sauzee night last year where there were multiple iPads stolen (which the charity had to pay for)

****bags will be ****bags whoever they support I guess.

That still dumbfounds me. Shell out for a good cause and then nick stuff.

Pretty Boy
07-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Disappointing to read. There are plenty people who will steal from their own though. Remember a few years back when Hibs had the ER open day and had to put out a plea for retro strips that had been displayed in the dressing room to be returned with no questions asked, no one lifted them by accident.

I'm not sure having a name gives the guy in question much to go on sadly. If the plan was always to lift what they could then the alleged culprits may well have given false names; even if they didn't then going to the police to report 'Bob and Jim from Leith' is hardly much to go on.

Sadly I think it's unlikely the guys in question will have an attack of conscience, one to put down to experience unfortunately.