PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22 (Third)

DanishJohn
04-09-2023, 06:25 AM
A great result for us yesterday. A great performance from a group of players who the previous manager who couldn't it would appear, manage.

Talk now turns to chasing third. Have read that some fans think this very possible because Hearts have big problems coach/manager wise and Aberdeen will toil because they have to to play two games a week till Christmas. Now there's the rub, that's what finishing third gets you !

If we were to finish third, IMO the whole mindset of the club we need to change a bit. We would need to think like the big club we know we are. Get things right first time and not settle for mediocrity. We would be playing every season to be top of a league within a league. I feel with a bit more investment and astute management and of course big crowds following us it could be really exciting times for Hibs.

BBC Scotland may have a love in with Aberdeen and Hearts but we could top the pair of them.
Eddie Turnbull was once asked who was the bigger club Aberdeen or Hibs ? He didn't hesitate with his answer. Hibs.
Herts ? well he let his players answer that one on the park.

Shake of the negativity Hibs and grasp the nettle.

Greenbeard
04-09-2023, 07:10 AM
Agree. It might seem negative but it's crossed my mind that our European run of three games comprising a minnow, a very competitive tie vs an equal, and a "glamour" tie, was ideal and with our current squad, in terms of both quality and depth, we'd have toiled if we'd made the group stages, not just in the group games themselves but also in the league games immediately following, although when you look at the draw there are undoubtedly a fair number of teams in there against whom we'd hope to be beating or being very competitive with.
Get through the first season in the Group stages while still finishing third for a second consecutive year, then the funds would really start to make a difference.

Jones28
04-09-2023, 07:12 AM
I think it’s absolutely what we should be aiming for.

However I think when we get there it is tough, we’ve seen that as evidenced for a couple of years by Hearts and Aberdeen. No one expects the Scottish team to qualify, and I absolutely anticipate a few pumpings along the way.